starrymarkb
Topic Author

EZY Daytrip: Bristol To Glasgow (Take 2)

Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:07 pm

This was my second day trip to Glasgow of the year, again I was planning to meet a friend and spend the day together in the city. So a cheap EZY flight was booked and arrangements made.

Then disaster! My friend had found herself a job and was starting the week of our meet up. So we agreed to meet another time and I decided to still have my day trip and amuse myself for the day.

Yet again a very early start on a blowy and rainy Monday morning, typically I caught every light heading out of Exeter (even though there was very little traffic around at 4:45am!) and I arrived at Bristol airport just before 6am. As usual it took a while to find a parking spot and having just missed the shuttle bus I set off for the Terminal on foot.

Security was crowded (lots of early morning charters) but all lanes were open so it only took about 5 mins to get through.

FID
Surprised to see three flights to Dalaman with three different airlines in the space of about 40 mins.

Flight was called about 30 mins before SDT at Gate 1 with many businessmen sprinting for the gate. I wasn't far away (lurking near gate 3) and at a leisurely walk still found myself about halfway back the line.

Bristol seems to be getting more and more cramped as more shops fill the Terminal. Most seating now seems to be upstairs and well away from the Gates

EZY401
Airbus A319 - G-EZAM

Boarding was by bus and having squeezed on at the rear I was hoping for a rapid boarding when the doors opened. This was not to be as only the front doors were opened and as I result I was a long way back the line. I managed to grab the last remaining window seat. The crew announced that as the flight was full anything that could go under the seats had to be put under there. Another passenger asked what the chances of a free seat next to them were and the stewardess said that there would be about 5 free once everyone was one. There was some rejigging of bags in the racks to ensure it all fitted. Captain then welcomed aboard giving a flight time of about 1hr and cruise of 28000ft

Take Off Video

Departure was on 09 and almost immediately we were in the cloud for a couple of minutes before bursting into the early morning sun.

No Legroom or Cabin shots – I'm sure you all know what an Easyjet A319 looks like inside  
I didn't buy anything from the trolley on this short flight and as we crossed the Scottish border the cloud disappeared giving good views of the Southern Uplands....

...The Firth of Forth...

My friend lives somewhere near those very tall pylons

… and the Campsies,

Approach Video

Landing was on runway 23 and after a short wait to disembark I was in the terminal and after a quick stop at the landside Tesco I caught the shuttle bus into Glasgow. I tried buying the bus ticket online and must say it is the most dubious e-tickets I've seen. All it has is your name, date of journey and a reference number. The drivers just gave it a quick glance, and there didn't seem to be any real security at all. I presume inspectors will have a list of the e-tickets sold for that day but once you know the format it would be easy to knock one up in Word!

I spent the day looking around the SECC/Pacific Quay (and being disappointed that the observation tower had broken) after getting off the train at the wrong stop. In the end I walked to the Riverside Museum (passing John Barrowman together with The Krankies on the way – I am not making that up!) before heading to the Kelvingrove. I also had a ride on the Glasgow Subway (if you thought Underground trains in London were small try Glasgow's!), Pizza in the Solid Rock Café and being a big Goth a nice walk around the Necropolis.

The Krankies

As it was getting dark I caught the bus back to the Airport for a tedious wait (I had about 2 hours before boarding). Only one spec of amusement on the FIDs with an EZY flight announced as departing before its gate is announced!

EZY408
Airbus A319 - G-EZAM

Return flight was on the same aircraft as going out. I did try to film the takeoff but being over the wing I didn't get to see much plus it was rather dark! Landing at Bristol was in thick fog on runway 27 and I suspect it was an Autoland (my first). It wasn't long before I was back at the car and after a quick stop to get my ticket validated (the system had failed to read my number plate on entry) I was on the A38 and heading for home.

nef

RE: EZY Daytrip: Bristol To Glasgow (Take 2)

Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:50 pm

Thanks for the TR, really liked your approach video! The weather made for some great views, although if you'd been sitting on the other side of the aircraft you would've got great views over the city. Shame the weather at BRS was a bit less cooperative. I liked your photos as well, you even managed to capture where I live in one of them!

And to top it all off a chance encounter with the Krankies, that's never going to be topped in any other TR

starrymarkb
Topic Author

RE: EZY Daytrip: Bristol To Glasgow (Take 2)

Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:09 am

Thank you - I had hoped to get the other side but was thwarted on this occasion  

I wonder if any other A.netters have encountered any Z-Listers on their travels?