gpbcroppers63

RE: US Airways Envoy Suites A330+A321 F EWR-CLT-LGW

Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:12 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 49):
Speaking of observations I wonder if Gareth will spot the mistake in one of the pics lol..

I accept the challenge but I'll have to look later as I don't have time to go through all of the pics again in work.  
According to one of my colleagues, my problem is that I'm addicted to travel!

theaviator380

Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:20 pm

Good report OA260.

Did you use Wifi on US airways? if so, how was the quality?

I am surprised to see, some United still in old livery. When they going to change it from old to new livery?

OA260
Topic Author

Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:19 pm

Quoting TheAviator380 (Reply 51):

Hi thanks alot. No we didnt use it to be honest as we had no need to. If it had been a longer flight I may have but a few hours wasnt enough really to justify it.

Im not sure maybe someone more in tune with UA can answer that one ?

Quoting gpbcroppers63 (Reply 50):

Haha ok  

ba319-131

Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:12 am

Hi Philip,

Nice read and pictures, thanks for posting, glad I finally found the time to read it.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 3):
The snacks and drinks were not bad considering and we had some nice views

- The views from that lounge are good but I find the catering options a bit weak.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 6):
Now the annoying guy who was sat in front of us spilt red wine over himself. Gareth and I looked
at eachother and I said it was Karma   I know its evil but still.   The FA came down with some
towels and to my surprise said to him ''now thats karma''   Gareth and I looked at eachother and
laughed. I guess she was right and kudos to her for having the balls to say it . She was not a person
to talk back to either. Like I said earlier she was a matron type of a character.

- Now that is funny!  
Quoting OA260 (Reply 8):
Drinks certs , I still dont like this concept. It should be a free bar.

- Agreed, I thought they might have done away with these stupid things by now.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 8):
The Envoy seat was very comfortable and had lots of handy items built in. The only thing I would
comment on is the cabin felt cold, not in a temperature way but in looks. I think it had something to
do with the lighting. Maybe the wood panels did not help either. Still Im just being picky. Everything
else was perfect.

- The cabin looks a bit bland really, the mix of that stupid wood effect is just not right.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 12):
After take off the meal service commenced. Gareth and I were expecting a meal but Gareth's
girlfriend was not. We were very surprised when the FA gave us all meals and thanked him
once again.

- Nice touch by the crew, impressed.

Cheers

Mark
111 732 733 734 735 736 73G 738 739,7M8 BBJ 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 764 772 77L 773 77W L15 D10 D30 D40 AB3 AB6 312 313 318 319 320 20N 321 21N 332 333 342 343 345 346 359 351 388 CS1 CS3 I86 154 SSJ CRJ CR7 CR9 CRK 145 170 175 220

Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:42 pm

Really great report, Phil!

I'm really impressed by US Airways Envoy Class! Food looks really good, and I think the breakfast looks to be the best one I've ever seen served in J on an early morning arrival into Europe! Still, US could probably serve drinks in real glasses on its domestic flights; seems a bit strange to be serving them in plastic ...

Quoting OA260 (Thread starter):
The FA came down with some
towels and to my surprise said to him ''now thats karma'' Gareth and I looked at eachother and
laughed. I guess she was right and kudos to her for having the balls to say it .

That's hilarious, and I'm amazed by her gutsy ness as well!

Thanks for sharing!

Matthew (767747)
I love to fly!

palmjet

Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:52 am

Hi P

Nice return journey for you both - although not as much space and food as the outbound journey!

Great to see what US is doing up the front in J - the flight looked quite nice and the service pretty good. I was quite surprised as I've heard and read lots of negative press about US generally these days. The A330 is one of my favourite aircraft so nice to see that you flew on one of those birds.

Great also to see some Dash 8s in your report, even though you went flying on any!

Thanks again, really enjoyed both parts.

Cheers Palmjet
Eastern - Number One To The Sun

christao17

Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:29 am

Thanks for sharing this trip report with us. Nice to get an inside look at US's Envoy Class. If you don't mind a bit of feedback, I'd suggest that in the future you could cut back the number of pictures a bit. It did seem like there were many (near) duplicates and on slower internet connections, that makes for a wait. Nonetheless, nice report with lots of detail.
More than a dozen years flying in and around Asia...

FLIEGER67

Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:26 pm

Hi, P.,

such a number of great pictures, well done. Really good to follow you´re story and it seems US done it well this time.
Interesting to see these US style map with all the ships noted.
Also the BA service sounds nice.

Greetings,
Markus(FLIEGER67)
Tripreporter.net

OA260
Topic Author

Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:23 pm

Quoting ba319-131 (Reply 53):
Hi Philip,

Hey Mark  
- The views from that lounge are good but I find the catering options a bit weak.

Yes true I guess you cant have it all  
- The cabin looks a bit bland really, the mix of that stupid wood effect is just not right.

Im still in two minds about it. I like it because its so different but then I wonder does it really work. You remember when BMI had that black and silver wallpaper on their bulkheads? Its kind of one of those moments.  
Quoting 767747 (Reply 54):
Really great report, Phil!

Hi Matthew   Thanks for the reply.

Quoting 767747 (Reply 54):
That's hilarious, and I'm amazed by her gutsy ness as well!

I know if I ever was going to see her again ( probably unlikely ) I would buy her a box of chocs or something. She really deserved it.

Quoting palmjet (Reply 55):
Great also to see some Dash 8s in your report, even though you went flying on any!

Hi and thanks for the reply. Your right cant go wrong with a few Dash 8's  
Quoting christao17 (Reply 56):
Thanks for sharing this trip report with us. Nice to get an inside look at US's Envoy Class. If you don't mind a bit of feedback, I'd suggest that in the future you could cut back the number of pictures a bit. It did seem like there were many (near) duplicates and on slower internet connections, that makes for a wait. Nonetheless, nice report with lots of detail.

Hi and thanks for your reply and feedback. Well my reports are well known for huge photo content so I have to appologise in advance for those on slower speeds. I feel your pain as for years I had no broadband and just dial up but the only thing I used to do was load the page go away make a cup of coffee and then read it  
Quoting FLIEGER67 (Reply 57):
Hi, P.,

Hey M  
Quoting FLIEGER67 (Reply 57):
such a number of great pictures, well done. Really good to follow you´re story and it seems US done it well this time.
Interesting to see these US style map with all the ships noted.
Also the BA service sounds nice.

Thanks alot Im glad you enoyed it . Im sure you read it somewhere on the move as you are always on a flight or in an exotic place these days  

Happy flying  

gpbcroppers63

Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:13 pm

Quoting gpbcroppers63 (Reply 50):
I accept the challenge but I'll have to look later as I don't have time to go through all of the pics again in work.

OK, I think I've found it:

Quoting OA260 (Reply 3):
Hmm looks god might have to try that next time

Now I know you think of yourself as a Greek God but that's pushing it a bit!  
According to one of my colleagues, my problem is that I'm addicted to travel!

PlaneHunter

Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:39 am

Hi Philip,

great report with many nice pictures! US' J Class product is indeed impressive, as you already told me some weeks ago. The food in particular looks great.

Did you get any compensation for the baggage damage?

PH
Nothing's worse than flying the same reg twice!

Av8rDAL

Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:15 pm

Quoting The777Man (Reply 18):
I think all US carriers give drink vouchers for their lounges.
Quoting AirAfreak (Reply 24):
Delta offers unlimited alcoholic beverages at all Sky Clubs and Businesselite Lounges worldwide. Delta also offers at some locations a luxury bar (ex-JFK) where you can purchase super-premium liqueur such as St. Germain, Domaine de Canton, etc... while others such as Beefeaters, Absolut, Sky, Bacardi, are free and unlimited.

DL only operates SkyClubs now (BusinessElite lounges converted years ago) and is renovating them to modern designs. The new Luxurybar concept is kind of neat if you have premium tastes, but I'm just usually having a few [local] beers or G&Ts. I did splurge for a good, well-made Mojito at the new ATL F-concourse SkyClub once.

SkyClub access is available for $25 a visit if you're a Delta AMEX card holder. 2 premium drinks at the bar, some internet, snacks, etc. and it's paid for itself.

Vouchers for drinks is a bit tacky if you're a premium passenger. Hopefully US and AA do away with pay-for-drinks once the merger happens.
Maintain thine airspeed, lest the Earth rise up and smite thee.

dc1030cf

Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:55 pm

Great trip report and photos. I never had the chance to fly US Airways International route and their Envoy Seats. I did however flown on Cathay's Business Class a few times which uses the same Cirrus seats from Sigma. They are indeed very nice and comfortable. Much better than the First class seats twenty years ago. I believe American is having the same product on their new 77W's. Hope they will upgrade all their older 772's with these comfortable seats. Once again, thank you.

stipica

Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:10 pm

Hi Philip !

in this community there are people which I admire so much and usually after I spending few hours reading and studying their work I forget to comment or batter to say a thanks you note is so meaningless ok is not this is just lazy excuse  

so especially thank you for this report because I am secretly fan of USair ... stipica  
Open your eyes and think

planiac787

Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:34 pm

Great trip report!
I really enjoyed reading this one!

Love the photos,specially of the AI and 9W birds at EWR...

Also the US airways product looks very nice. I loved the wood finished walls..Classy indeed..Dinner service looks nice and I also noticed they were serving Glenlivet...Most carriers dont serve that scotch...Atleast I havent noticed it on the menu....

Well done and keep writing..!

Cheers

Pradat
Be the change you want to see in the world- M.K.Gandhi

eastafspot

Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:11 pm

awesome TR Phillip, as usual  
Good to see you had a pleasant flight, meals look tasty and seat confortable
what is luggage allowance with USair in F?

Thanks for sharing
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !

infodesk

Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm

Hi Philip,

Think I must have missed this one so sorry for the late reply. What a great continuation of the holiday and what an epic shopping trip! US looks really good in C - the food was presented so well and the seats looks very comfy. You got some nice pics after take off from New York too. Any particular reason for the routing via CLT?

This was actually a mistake as we got
ripped off. The guy charged us $70 but when we came back with a local driver it was half that. Still not
knowing any different we could not do anything. Still I did not let it annoy me too much as I saved a fortune
on the cookware set.

always annoying when something like that happens. Let's hope the driver got some karma and bumped his car later that day  
Later that night it was time to try pack everything. That was the fun part.

Oh yes, I know all about that!

Quoting OA260 (Reply 6):
Now the annoying guy who was sat in front of us spilt red wine over himself. Gareth and I looked
at eachother and I said it was Karma I know its evil but still

You see? Karma is everywhere!

We proceeded to the baggage services desk where we were met by some rude
staff who tried to insist that US Airways would not accept responsibilty. After pointing out to them
a few things and them realising we knew our rights they backed down and gave us two baggage
report references. It was a shame because it soured what had been a great trip. I wonder if they
were just lazy or if US Airways tries to get away with not paying out even when its their own fault.

What appalling behaviour and what a load of rubbish. Good job you stood up to them but think how many unsuspecting travellers they could fob off with that story.

I did
not want to take everything back so left two for another time. Very handy

Or were you too close to the customs allowance?  

Really kind of BA to upgrade Gareth's girlfriend too.

Happy flying
Infodesk   
"Do nothing in haste, look well to each step and from the beginning think what may be the end" - Edward Whymper