Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Carfield
Topic Author

Longest Commercial Flight SQ 22 SIN-EWR Sept 2013

Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:36 am

Longest Commercial Flight in the World – SQ 22 Singapore to Newark on September 2013

I finally got a chance to experience the world’s longest commercial flight before it will bid goodbye on November 2013. Thanks to a very generous cousin, who redeems this free one-way award ticket on SQ 22 using her Silver Kris miles. She offered me a roundtrip ticket, but SQ 21 really departs at rather unattractive time. I honestly am appreciative of this opportunity to fly this special flight before its discontinuation. This flight has been recorded before so I am going to go into too many details. In terms of catering and services, it is fairly typical Singapore Airlines. For this particular flight, I can’t really fault the crews but in the same time, I feel that they are not very personable like other Asian airlines. Catering – I still think three meals should be offered, not two meals and refreshment. I will discuss more as we talk about it later.

Here is the full photo album:
http://s1213.photobucket.com/user/Ca...field76/library/SQ22SINEWR09112013

SQ 22 SIN-EWR Lv1055 Arr1750 Airbus A340-500 9V-SGC

Check-in:
It was very quiet here in Singapore Changi’s Terminal Three, as all morning flights have already departed. The business class area was not busy and there were plenty of counters to choose from.

I went to the Silver Kris lounge and spent a few hours there. Sorry that there were no photos, as there were plenty of them in various trip reports. The breakfast buffet was very nice this morning and I love chicken porridge offered – a perfect light dish to enjoy before a long flight.

Various SQ planes at T-3 this morning

SQ 22 departed from gate A15 this morning, and instead of riding the shuttle, I decided to walk there, as I would be stuck in a tube for the next 19 hours. I arrived t the gate quite early but unfortunately gate A15 did not allow any good angle for taking a good picture of the plane. There was an additional document check before passing the security checkpoint. Everyone was extremely friendly and I felt that the staffs were specially selected to handle this all-business-class flight.

9V-SGC before the long flight to Newark

Gate A15

Most passengers rushed to Door “A” but since my seat was 20A this morning, I just used Door “B”. A flight attendant immediately welcomed me onboard and I was not very happy when I see my original seat 20A!

There was a window missing, but thankfully the flight was not full and I asked the F/A if I could move to 19A, the bulkhead window seat. She went to check and I got the okay. Here is my new seat 19A.

It was clear that it was a very experienced set of crews, as everyone knew what to do. Headsets and menus were first offered, and then pre-takeoff beverages were offered. I got the special SQ cocktail – I believe it was the Silver Kris Sling.

Newspapers and magazines were then offered, and I was happy to get a copy of the New York Times, despite it was two days old.

Here are the reading literatures – safety card, Krisworld guide, duty free catalog, and SQ inflight magazine

View of the engines

Flight information:
Boarding began at 10:30am and with a light load of around fifty passengers, the process was completed in less than fifteen minutes. Door was closed at 10:50am and we pushed back six minutes later. It took ten minutes for the plane to start up but unfortunately we had to stop in a taxiway for a while, due to congestion and a last minute runway change. Beverage and lunch entrée orders were also taken during the delays.

Philippine Airlines A319 heading to Manila

An all-white ex-SQ Boeing 777-200

We finally took off at 11:35am from R/W20C and the runway roll lasted almost a full minute (58 seconds to be exact) before lifting off. Some views shortly after takeoff as we left the Singapore strait!

The routing today was fairly normal, as we took the Great Circle route across the Pacific Ocean.
Here is a map of our route:

We first climbed to 31,000feet as we entered the South China Sea, and then we climbed to 32,000feet before crossing the North of the Philippines. We further climbed to 35,000feet before passing Naha and the Okinawa Islands. We cruised along the Japanese coast before heading towards the Pacific Ocean. We then climbed to 37,000feet before passing the Attu Islands and Bering Sea, and entering the Alaskan coast and passing cities of Kipnuk and Willow. We further climbed to 39,000feet and passed Gulkana Airport and then entering the Canadian Airspace and crossing Yukon, Northwest Territories, Manitoba, and then reached our final cruising altitude of 41,000feet. We crossed Lake Superior, city of Sault Ste Marie, North Channel, Oower Sound, Shelburne, Toronto, and entering the US airspace again by passing the city of Rochester. We descent to 27,000feet and took a circular route (ATC delay) and then headed towards Newark.

Seat belt sign was turned off at 11:46am and the F/As first passed out the familiar socks and eyeshades. This topic has been discussing to death and I personally think these amenities are cheap looking. One can debate if amenity kit is necessary (IMHO, an amenity kit is necessary and SQ should have no issue finding a sponsor. Given how expensive a SQ business class ticket is, skipping an amenity kit is just cheap!) However I think a real pair of cotton slippers is not too much to ask. I brought my own slippers. I actually think SQ should have offered pajamas for the nonstop LAX and EWR flights especially they did not offer any amenity kit.

The first beverage was offered at 11:56am and a bowl of warmed mixed nuts was offered.

Here is the wine list:
Wine List
Champagne
Bollinger Special Cuvee Brut, Champagne, France

White Wine
2010 La Crema Monterey Chardonnay, Monterey, USA
2011 Reichsgraf von Kesselstatt Riesling Kabinett, Mosel, Germany

Red Wines
2009 Chateau Loudenne Medoc Cru Bourgeois, Bordeaux, France
2011 Torbreck Woodcutter’s Shiraz, Barossa Valley, Australia

Sweet Wine
2009 Chateau Filhot Sauternes

Port
Taylor’s 10 Years Old Tawny Port, Portugal

My choice for the first beverage was the Silver Kris Sling
One of Singapore Airlines’ special touches, this cocktail is a delicious mix of gin, Cointreau, orange juice and pineapple juice, topped with Champagne

It was delicious and I like the fact that SQ uses freshly squeezed orange juice for this cocktail. Lunch was then served, and SQ no longer uses tray for its main meal services, and tables are individually setup like traditional first class.

Catering:
Menu

Lunch

Salt & Pepper Shaker and butter

Singapore Airlines logo in the bottom of the glasses

Bread plate

Starter
Trilogy of salmon with Mesclun salad
Slices of hot smoked, cold smoked, and marinated salmon
This was a very nice salmon appetizer and it showcases different ways that salmon can be presented.

Main
*Spring chicken with pork chorizo sausage, chickpeas and sautéed cavalo nero leaves
Exclusively created by Matthew Moran of Aria Restaurant, Sydney
I got to give SQ credits for these innovative and restaurant quality entrées. I would have gladly paid for this dish in a restaurant. The chicken was cooked just right.

Or
Gaeng phed pla
Thai style red curry fish, seasonal vegetables and steamed rice
Or
Seared tournedos of beef with thyme jus, roasted vegetables and seared asparagus
A healthier choice – lower in carbohydrate and calories
Or
Char siew and wanton noodle soup
Egg noodles in rich broth garnished with honey roasted pork, pork dumplings and leafy greens
A renowned favorite in Singapore

Finale
Choice of dessert
Viennetta ice cream or panna cotta with citrus compote
Dessert was always a weak part for most Asian airlines, but this panna cotta was quite interesting – a perfect end to the lunch service.

Fruits in season
It was interesting that fresh fruit basket was only offered for lunch service, and there was no cheese service. Dinner was the opposite. The selection of fruits today included bananas, cantaloupes, peach, sliced pineapples, and apples.

Gourmet coffees & selections of fine teas, with pralines

[Edited 2013-09-17 23:44:29]

Carfield
Topic Author

RE: Longest Commercial Flight SQ 22 SIN-EWR Sept 2013

Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:37 am

I know this is like picking bone from an egg, but the F/As were not very attentive serving my aisle, as beverages were not refilled till I asked. Apart from the setup, the F/A did not ask if I want a glass of wine after she took away my empty cocktail glasses. If this is one of the European or US airlines, I won’t be surprised but I held SQ to a higher standard. After lunch, the cabin light was lightly dimmed, not turned off. The F/A patrolled the cabin regularly with beverage orders and snack basket. The choice of packaged snacks was not particularly impressive and the US airlines have more interesting choices, and I was surprised at the lack of more substantive snack items like sandwiches and noodle cups. The snack basket features Lay’s BBQ chips, dried fruit mix, Walker’s shortbread cookies, SQ packaged nuts (almonds & cashews), and Toblerone chocolate bars.

After lunch, it was time to explore the entertainment options, and KrisWorld is just the best entertainment program that an airline can offer and no other airline can ever surpass the selection of US, Asian and international programs. I was surprised at the amount of lifestyle programs and was pleasantly surprised that the complete Season Three of the Voice (USA) was featured. I was able to watch the blind auditions, the battles and the knockout rounds during this flight, along with a few episodes of “Big Bang Theory.”

One of the unique features of the Airbus A340-500s was the inflight connectivity option and ability to connect to wifi and to be able to make phone calls. I decided to give the wifi a try, as I had previously used American Airliens and JAL services and wanted to see how SQ compared. The price was very expensive and here are the two plans offered - 5MB for $5.99/10MB for $9.99.

I picked the 10MB plan and the connection speed was very slow from the beginning. I was able to use my whatsapp to chat with friends and even send them pictures. I was able to receive emails but sending emails are almost possible. Tweeter is possible if only text is involved. I used flightradar to track my flight and it was possible but used up many data. I like the fact that I could connect and disconnect at my desire. In terms of coverage, I had no problem to use it initially after takeoff but we had a number of blindspots in the middle of the South China Sea and I could not really use it till we got closed to Japan. Then I ran out of my 10MB plan so I decided not to add value to my plan. I would not recommend anyone use to it, unless you really need to.

Some mid-flight pictures of the engines

Okinawa

Cabin pictures – here is a variety of cabin pictures:

Seat – interchange between beige and blue colored leather seats – Not sure but I am never a big fan of Singapore Airlines lie flat seats. I am not a fan of flipping the seats and prefer the ability to recline to the seat deeply.

Seat 21A

Back of a normal seat –non-bulkhead seat

Back of the bulkhead seat – no beverage tray but there were the storage spaces for mobile phones, light objects, power outlets and mirrors. The legrest was larger.

Beverage console

Tray table

Literature pocket

Headset hanger and side readlng light

The other side

Recline buttons

Entertainment console

Legrest for normal seat (non-bulkhead)

Sidearm pillow

Seat in full recline position

Rather useless legrest

Seat in full flat position

Carfield
Topic Author

Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:39 am

Dinner
Around 6pm Singapore time, the leading F/A was coming around taking beverage and entrée order for the dinner service. I had pre-ordered Lobster Thermidor for dinner, and she also verified my order.

My ordered Singapore Sling was served around 6:50pm.
Synonymous with the Lion City since the early 1900s, this classic cocktail is made with dry gin, DOM Benedicine, Cointreau cherry brandy, Angostura bitters and Grenadine, mixed with lime and pineapple juice

Hot towels were then passed out and at 7pm, satays were passed out. There was no trolley and everything was already pre-plated.

Prelude
Satay
With onion, cucumber and spicy peanut sauce
It is a nice appetizer dish, but Malaysia Airlines has the upper hand on the satays in the air area.

Starter
Cajun spiced prawns
With marinated capsicums and sweet pepper pesto

A nice selection of breads – Garlic bread and Lavosh crackers are my choices this evening

Main
*Wok-fried beef in black pepper sauce with garlic, French beans with dried shrimps, fried rice
Exclusively created by Chef Sam Leong, Singapore
Or
Famous Singapore Chicken Rice
Fragrant poached chicken with pandan flavored rice, served with ginger, soya, and chili sauce
A renowed local favorite
Or
Spaghetti Marinara
Italian pasta with seafood in herb-tomato sauce
Or
Seared Berkshire pork loin in balsamic sage sauce
With roasted vegetables and fondant potatoes

Lobster Thermidor – my book the cook choice, and it was a bit better than the slipper lobster served previously on my Singapore Airlines a couple years ago.

Finale
Tiramisu
Mascarpone cheesecake with coffee

Water chestnut pudding with mungbeans

Payson brenton Brie, delice des bois, stokes point smoked cheddar
Served with fig paste, grapes, walnut and biscuits

Gourmet coffees & selections of fine teas, with pralines

Bottled waters were passed out after dinner and duty free service also began. Cabin lights were eventually dimmed as most passengers went to sleep. Not sure why, sleep was hard to come. The cabin was extremely warm and the seat was very hard to get comfortable. I also like the seats to be placed in a certain angle. I gave up after an hour of tossing around. I continued my viewing of the Voice and managed to take a picture of sunrise.

Bathroom

Around three hours prior to arrival, the leading F/A came around again and asked all those passengers, who were awake on your choice of light bites. This is where I think SQ really cuts costs too far. I still believe that there should be three meals on this flight, and the pre-arrival meal does not need a full dinner, but it should be a proper breakfast/brunch service with two to three courses. Three out of the four entrées were really main meal type dishes, and a light brunch should be offered – something that can be served two hours prior to arrival. The normal mid-flight snack menu that features on other long haul flights should be offered. The current snack menus on most transpacific flights include sandwiches, noodles (instant) and packaged stuff. SQ 22 is really a daytime flight and you feel hungrier. Anyway the F/As seemed to be in a rush to complete all the meal service, which I did not appreciate. It was just one single entrée and it did not take hours to prepare a bowl of noodles, so I made it clear to the F/A that I wanted to wait another hour before eating again. In the end, they still served my snack two and half hours prior to arrival.

Light Bites Menu
To Nibble On
Egg noodles soup with scallop, prawn and leafy greens

Or
Korean style fried rice with chicken, egg and kimchi
With pickles and toasted seaweed served on this side
Or
Spinach fettuccine Milanese
Pasta in a tomato, mushroom and ham sauce
Or
Cheese Omelette with chicken sausage, grilled tomato and potatoes

Finale
Gourmet coffees & selections of fine teas

About an hour prior to arrival, there were more cabin activities, and here is a shot of the plane over Ontario, Canada!

Initial descent than began at 4:47pm New York local time, as we stayed at 27,000feet for a while. The pilot made an announcement and then hot towels were passed out. The F/A then came around with a tray of juices, and I had a final glass of orange juice.

Pilot made an announcement that there would be some turbulent on our descent and had requested the F/As to be seated earlier than normal. The passengers should use the bathroom now.

Seat belt sign was then turned on at 5:13pm, and it was a very slow descent, as expected for Newark.

Finally view of Manhattan

We landed on R/W22L at 5:51pm and the whole flight took eighteen hours and sixteen minutes. This flight is definitely the longest flight I have ever taken, and will most likely stay this way, until the major aircraft manufacturers are able to invest in a next generation of aircraft with extra range while economically feasible.

Engines in reverse

We parked at gate 63 at Terminal B eight minutes later. A nearby Lufthansa Boeing 747 D-ABVH was pushing back and getting ready for its flight back to Frankfurt.

A final view of the engines

A final view of the plane

Immigration was very quiet this evening, but baggage service was very slow. The first bag did not appear till 6:23pm and since all the bags are priority tagged, it did not make a difference. I was not able to collect all my bags till 6:50pm. But the F/As were all waiting for every passenger collecting their bags before exiting the custom – something you would never see any airline to do. I guess this is because of our all business class nature.

I honestly appreciate the effort of being able to fly this ultra-long-haul flight but at the same time, I am not that impressed with the service, amenities and catering offered on this flight. I flew TG BKK to LAX nonstop before, and while TG was not as polished, there are more amenities and food. Once again, this is a purely “picking bones from an egg” type situation but since SQ charges so much for these ultra long haul flights, my expectation is higher.
I cannot really fault the flight attendants service, as they are still better than most Asian airlines and way better than most European and US airlines. They are not personable and remain distant. Their smiles are a bit forced and only one of the leading F/As are more attentive and genuine. Anyway, I am happy to be able to fly this flight once, and hope you will enjoy this report.

Carfield

FlyingRoo82

Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:46 am

Great trip report, especially the many photos. Food and service look good. But I agree that for an 18+ hour flight, 3 meals should be served (esp in J class). I flew Sydney-Dallas which was over 15 hours (Y+ on QF) and they had 2 full meals plus a light snack mid flight.

Thanks for posting.

Adam

Thai744

Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:15 am

Nice trip report - thanks for posting.

I guess with such a light load factor it's no wonder they're withdrawing this service. To me, that's a shame as I always wanted to take a flight of that length.

Do they use 2 sets of cabin crew on this flight? Did you get a "new" crew after the first 9 hours? Or did they have one crew that had a few break periods for each of them?

I've often wondered how crewing for this ULH flight is done.

Thanks for posting the report - enjoyed it.

sq_ek_freak

Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:38 pm

Quoting Thai744 (Reply 4):
Do they use 2 sets of cabin crew on this flight? Did you get a "new" crew after the first 9 hours? Or did they have one crew that had a few break periods for each of them?

I've often wondered how crewing for this ULH flight is done.

When I flew the flight some years back they had one set of cabin crew that alternated taking their rest periods through the flight. I've done the LAX flight several times and one of them was a whopping 19:10 hours or something like that. I remember at the top of descent into SIN when the captain was making his announcement one of the leading FA's blurted out 'oh thank god!' I looked up at her and smirked and she was genuinely embarrassed. She must have been absolutely knackered! Was a chocka full flight too.

Great report, I agree though that TG won on catering (did LAX-BKK with them, 3 full meals in Economy!) Even SQ's menu options for the flight seem rather uninspired, might be because they're dropping the flight soon. Pity about the crew, my understanding was that they hand picked the crew that do these flights...one of them mentioned to me that the crew on the A345 are a subset of the normal crew pool, and they have to do the flight at least once in a certain period to remain certified to do the ULH sector...or something like that. We don't have that at EK, but then again we don't have a 18+ hour flight on the books either!
Keep Discovering

thegivenone

Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:55 pm

Hi Carfield,

Quoting Carfield (Thread starter):
I finally got a chance to experience the world’s longest commercial flight before it will bid goodbye on November 2013.

You beat me to it! I had the pleasure of flying on SQ 22 this summer and am still working on my report! It is interesting to see how our experiences compare. I think I might have had better luck with the crew as my set were friendly, personable and crafted a truly special on-board experience.

Initially, I definitely agreed that three meals should be offered but, to be honest, I was quite full after the two meals services. What I found particularly odd was the timing of the dinner service, which came much too early in my opinion.

Finally, it looks like you took a far more southern route than I did  

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences -- despite some of the shortcomings I agree that it is sad to see this flight disappear!

-Ollie

Flightsimboy

Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:43 pm

Hi Carfield,

Nice to see you onboard this aircraft, especially since it's coming to a close pretty soon...such a shame, as this is the only route these magnificent Airbus A340-500s are being put to use to their full potential....Truly a stellar aircraft on a super long haul route!!!

For this particular flight, I can’t really fault the crews but in the same time, I feel that they are not very personable like other Asian airlines.

Not good to hear especially since SQ has the reputation for being the best out there.

Everyone was extremely friendly and I felt that the staffs were specially selected to handle this all-business-class flight.

At least they were competent in their services and the execution of it.

There was a window missing, but thankfully the flight was not full and I asked the F/A if I could move to 19A, the bulkhead window seat. She went to check and I got the okay. Here is my new seat 19A.

Glad you could move, or else at least you could have rested your head on the wall like a Y class passenger lol....You did after all find the seat to be not comfortable..

Newspapers and magazines were then offered, and I was happy to get a copy of the New York Times, despite it was two days old.

Were you comparing it to the actual date of publication or in terms of Singapore time? If it was the day itself then the current days publications were only being printed in NY..or in the process of being published lol

then entering the Canadian Airspace and crossing Yukon, Northwest Territories, Manitoba, and then reached our final cruising altitude of 41,000feet. We crossed Lake Superior, city of Sault Ste Marie, North Channel, Oower Sound, Shelburne, Toronto,
and here is a shot of the plane over Ontario, Canada!

I've mentioned this before that the SQ flight goes right over Mississauga/Toronto depending on the path, and I've seen it many times overhead as it passes in the early evening light....Not sure what the airway is called, but ANA, Cathay, EVA, Korean all take that path into JFK when coming non-stop from Asia.

But the F/As were all waiting for every passenger collecting their bags before exiting the custom – something you would never see any airline to do. I guess this is because of our all business class nature.

Wow, you would think they would want to be the first to bolt out and head straight for the hotel after such a long flight.
LAX772LR - "Answer to goofy question:" in response to my question about the B737-MAX8 being grounded. 48 hours later all B737-MAX8 grounded worldwide. Go figure!!

Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:25 am

Great report, Carfield.

Wow, 18+ hours! I cannot believe being on a flight this long. I love flying, but this might be too much for me too. Food looks really good, but sorry to hear the flight wasn't more up to your expectations. The Lobster Thermidor did look pretty tasty though; I think I'd be ordering that if I flew with SQ.

Thanks for sharing!

Matthew (767747)
I love to fly!

ronerone

Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:27 pm

Great report Carfield!

I too have taken this flight twice, and am due on it again soon! I too have a report on this, which i should try to release soon!

I know it is hard to fault SQ, but if you are really looking for more personality in the service, you may not find it here. Granted, I have had an equal amount of amazing SQ flights, where the service honestly did shine. But the rest of the other 'so-so' flights were not much more than just servient. I have also come to realize that such ultra-servient flights tend to be under some really strict cabin seniors that put a great deal of pressure on the crew. So given that they still work flawlessly on such flights is still quite impressive. Of course, this is just the conclusion of my personal 'experiement'.  

With regards to the meal service, it looks the same as what i had on my flights, with a few minor differences of course. I think SQ does well in the main courses, but there is room for improvement in the starters, and especially the desserts (but as you pointed out, almost all airlines seem to drop the ball on desserts for some reason!).

With regards to the snacks, I felt that SQ was going for an American theme with this by serving mostly American brands. I do agree though that a little more substance can be better, but I suppose SQ tries to offset this by offering these snacks to the passengers very very frequently! Did they pass around with the snack basket and drink offer every 30 minutes for the entire flight?

How did you find the Book The Cook option? Honestly, the presentation of your meal looked a little sloppy. I am considering using that service on my next flight, but i am still unsure.

Many thanks for sharing this with us! Looking forward to more always!

Cheers,
Roni
Fly Roni. Aviation Journeys. Photos. Videos.

MSS658

Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:49 am

Hi Carfield

Nice TR, thanks for sharing this ULR
Glad you made it on the flight before dissapearing.
Well, can only comment on one MAN-MUC sector which is indeed better than the Euro/US carriers.

Greetings
Marc
Next trip report: Well worn A330s and Hassle free MUC transfer

RyanairGuru

Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:19 pm

Hi Carfiled

Thank you for the trip report on this quite unique flight.

It is a shame that SQ didn't live up to their reputation. My inner cynic says that I shouldn't be surprised (I'm yet to have an above-average flight with them, albeit in Y) but so many rave about them that I would have expected better on their flagship route.

Quoting Carfield (Reply 1):
Apart from the setup, the F/A did not ask if I want a glass of wine after she took away my empty cocktail glasses

That is really poor. And IMHO it isn't splitting hairs, but rather legitimately bad service.

I was surprised at the lack of more substantive snack items like sandwiches and noodle cups. The snack basket features Lay’s BBQ chips, dried fruit mix, Walker’s shortbread cookies, SQ packaged nuts (almonds & cashews), and Toblerone chocolate bars.

IIRC those are the same snacks as in Y. Compared to the trip report I just read about EY J it is very poor, EY practically had entire meals available on demand all flight, or so it seemed.

Quoting Carfield (Reply 2):
Around 6pm Singapore time, the leading F/A was coming around taking beverage and entrée order
Quoting Carfield (Reply 2):
My ordered Singapore Sling was served around 6:50pm

Did you request to be served later, or did they just make you wait for your drink for almost an hour?

It is interesting that they use Matt Moran as their signature chef as Virgin Australia does as well. It is one of the [few] things I prefer about VA compared to QF as I'm not a fan of Neil Perry.

Thanks again for the interesting report,
Alex
Worked Hard, Flew Right

aerdingus

Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:51 pm

I thought this flight was cancelled for some reason. Thanks for the report, I've always been curious about this one. Fascinating that an all biz arrangement has survived this long. Looks like a beautiful cabin, pity you couldn't get comfortable though. And of course the A345 is a beautiful aircraft.

Cheers  
A306 A313 A319 A320 A321 A333 A346 A359 ATR42 ATR72 B734 B737 B738 B744 B772 B789 C152 MD80 RJ85 S340

SR 103

Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:00 pm

Thanks for another fantastic report Carfield. This could not have come at a better time as I shall be taking this flight shortly.

Sorry to see you had a rather robotic crew, but then again this a chance you take when flying SQ. Sometimes the crew are great and sometimes they tend to be very ridged and uptight. In the end it really is the luck of the draw on which one you get. I have been thinking about doing Book the Cook, but if the menu looks pretty decent from what you posted. Hopefully it is the same one for the month of October.

Its a shame to see this flight disappear, but its understandable (at least to the airline manager in me.)

allrite

Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:10 pm

I enjoyed reading your review of a service which nobody will be able to experience again in the near future. I really am surprised by the lack of "wow" about the service, amenities and food in the flight compared with reviews I've read about other airline's business service. Even the bed looks rather uncomfortable, though perhaps that's due its width as a seat distorting the perspective.

How does this ULH service feels compared with a similar service but with a couple of hours transit on the ground?
I like artificial banana essence!

aal151heavy

Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:30 am

Carfield,

Thank you for sharing! I am about the take this same flight next month, so I was very happy to read your very detailed report. There are not many trip reports about this flight (not recent ones anyway).

I have pre-ordered the lobster thermidor as well, but for lunch (the first meal). I thought it is probably best enjoyed while I am still fresh and not tired of flying by the time the second meal comes around.  .

They are not personable and remain distant. Their smiles are a bit forced and only one of the leading F/As are more attentive and genuine.

You have hit the nail on the head. This year, I have flown business class on the following Asian carriers: ANA, Asiana, Thai, and Singapore. My friends would ask me whether their service is truly superior as people say. I respond "yes, but something was missing". I could never really succinctly say what that "something" was. And you got it - they are distant and not genuine. They do a great job, by the book, with a pleasant smile, but in the end, you get the feeling that they are nice to you because they have to.

My experience on Singapore, however, was opposite of that. It was a medium haul flight from SYD to SIN on a regional 777-300. All the F/As were very nice and very friendly, but the lead or purser (I am assuming, wearing red), was a middle aged woman that reminded me of my mother. She patrolled the cabin with laser focus and a stern look. I never saw her interact with the passengers, but you know behind the curtain, she was bossing around all the other F/As.  
My airliners.net photos

zkojq

Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:56 am

Those photos are great; make the aircraft look very comfortable. I don't think flying such ultra long-haul segments would be for me. Just way too long.

Quoting sq_ek_freak (Reply 5):
I remember at the top of descent into SIN when the captain was making his announcement one of the leading FA's blurted out 'oh thank god!' I looked up at her and smirked and she was genuinely embarrassed. She must have been absolutely knackered! Was a chocka full flight too.

lol. I wonder how much rest the crews get in EWR. I don't think that the standard two days for a long-haul flight would be enough.
First to fly the 787-9

Carfield
Topic Author

Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:33 pm

Thanks for all the kind comments again!

The cabin crews get three nights of rest in a hotel located in Manhattan, New York.

Carfield

YYZAMS

Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:13 am

Nice report. I think you mean Owen Sound instead of "Oower Sound".

I wonder if you experienced any of this: "medical experts have expressed concerns of the 18 hour flight, in which passengers would breathe recycled air, and having a greater chance of picking up viral infections such as flu and colds on board. Furthermore, the heart and lungs would come under increased strain from a lower than usual supply of oxygen, with an enhanced risk of deep vein thrombosis (DVT) among people who fail to exercise frequently on board"?

3 meals? Not sure one needs to eat that much when just sitting there doing no physical activity and just getting fat.

gabrielchew

Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:16 am

Nice eport about a generally good flight. Seems tit wasn't quite 100%, but you got to EWR safely at least!

The bulkhead seats gives a lot more space than a normal seat - it's certainlky my preference

Seat belt sign was turned off at 11:46am and the F/As first passed out the familiar socks and eyeshades. This topic has been discussing to death and I personally think these amenities are cheap looking. One can debate if amenity kit is necessary (IMHO, an amenity kit is necessary and SQ should have no issue finding a sponsor. Given how expensive a SQ business class ticket is, skipping an amenity kit is just cheap!) However I think a real pair of cotton slippers is not too much to ask. I brought my own slippers. I actually think SQ should have offered pajamas for the nonstop LAX and EWR flights especially they did not offer any amenity kit.

It's so strange that SQ decided to ditch amenity kits. maybe they were hoping that they were as influential as FR, and everyone else would copy their cost saving trick?
http://my.flightmemory.com/shefgab Upcoming flights: AMS-RIX-BUD-VDA,ETH-TLV-FCO-LHR,STN-TXL-LCY,LTN-CPH-LTN,LGW-SZG,MUC-LHR

Carfield
Topic Author

Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:35 am

Quoting YYZAMS (Reply 18):

Haha... I think one flight will not kill me... no I did not experience any of the symptoms. If I experience any of those symptoms, I won't be writing this report. SQ business class seats are very comfortable and there are plenty of legroom especially the bulkhead seats. DVT usually affects coach passengers more frequently as the seats are narrower and there are no spaces for you to stretch your legs. (Even SQ first version of A340-500 has this enhanced economy cabin - executive economy I believe with 36 inches of legroom!)

The plane has plenty of spaces for moving around and trust me, it is impossible to sit there just for 18 hours. Everyone walked around the cabin but I think SQ should have set up a bar area for people to stand up. The flights are rarely full anyway, and taking one or two rows of seats won't really affect the profitability of this flight. (The original two class seat up had bar areas for stretching but when they change to this all J configuration, they took it away). Anyway I walked to the magazine areas frequently and the aft of the cabin was very quiet. It was a great space to stretch a bit too.

Let be honest it is an 18 hours flight that took off in mid morning from Singapore and arrived Singapore in the early morning hours. During that time you definitely eat more than two meals... you eat less at 40,000 feet but there should be a more substantial third meal - not just an entree. I will rather eat a proper third meal than those snacks (packaged nuts, chips, and chocolate bars and cookies and SQ does not even have a fruit basket or fruit bowl) that they pass around. I only ate them as I was really hungry by then.

Thanks for all the comments again.

Carfield

lutfi

Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:25 am

Great report - but from the rows of empty seats you can see why SQ are canning the flight...

ba319-131

Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:10 pm

Nice read and pictures Carfield, thanks for taking the time, excellent quality as usual!

F/As first passed out the familiar socks and eyeshades. This topic has been discussing to death and I personally think these amenities are cheap looking. One can debate if amenity kit is necessary (IMHO, an amenity kit is necessary and SQ should have no issue finding a sponsor. Given how expensive a SQ business class ticket is, skipping an amenity kit is just cheap!)

- You are so right, it is just SQ being cheap, unbelievable really.

Seat – interchange between beige and blue colored leather seats – Not sure but I am never a big fan of Singapore Airlines lie flat seats. I am not a fan of flipping the seats and prefer the ability to recline to the seat deeply.

- Agreed, I'd just like to hit the recline button myself.

Catering looks good but I do agree it should be a 3 meal flight, heck it's long enough to manage 3 proper meal services!

It's less than a month now until I experience this flight too, though I'm going the other way.

Cheers

Mark
111 732 733 734 735 736 73G 738 739,7M8 BBJ 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 764 772 77L 773 77W L15 D10 D30 D40 AB3 AB6 312 313 318 319 320 20N 321 21N 332 333 342 343 345 346 359 351 388 CS1 CS3 I86 154 SSJ CRJ CR7 CR9 CRK 145 170 175 220