Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

finnishway
Topic Author

Trip To New York And Los Angeles: HEL-JFK-LAX

Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:18 pm

Introduction

This trip report is about my second trip to the USA. The first one I made last January to Miami. This time I travelled to New York and Los Angeles. During this trip I experienced one new aircraft type and airline for me.

The route:

http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg500/finnishway1/Trip%20report%204/tr4_zpsd9024ef5.gif

HEL-JFK
AY005
Airbus A330 (OH-LTN)
14:09-17:23

I am not a big fan of Finnair. I try to avoid it as much as possible, but this time it was the best option to choose from. I haven't flown longhaul with Finnair before, so I expected it to be a bit different from shorthaul or leisure flights. I checked in at home, but I still have to wait for baggage drop so I don't really win anything here, except I got a better seat when I checked in early. Security check is full of people so I need to wait for a while. Usually there aren't many people ahead of you, but this is one of the busiest times of the day at HEL so you may have to wait for a while.

I want to make one point about Finnish people and this is one of the reasons I try to avoid travelling with too many of them. Finnish people are very selfish. I noticed this on both flights to and from JFK. Even before business class passengers get in the plane everybody stands in 10 different lines trying to be the first onboard. I followed this same thing when I was flying from JFK to LAX and back. American people don't do that thing. They sit and wait until their boarding group is announced and boarding goes much faster and smoothier. It is very annoying when boarding is announced for rows 40-50 or something like that and people from rows 10-20 goes first. Then they think 10 minutes where they should put their bags and don't care about other passengers.

In-ear headphones, blanket and pillow. I don't like in-ear headphones, because they just hurt. All of these amenities are very nice, but I don't use them so they just take space from already small place. Seatpocket is full of magazines so they don't fit there, my bag is under the seat in front of me, so they don't fit there. Eventually I did put them somewhere on the floor.

Entertainment system. Screen is big and bright enough, but touchscreen is very bad. It is much faster and easier to use the controller. There were a couple of good movies to my taste, but thats about it.

Rainy day at HEL.

Meal of the flight. This is something I have been waiting for, because usually Finnair's meals are very bad. This time I chose the vegetarian option, because it sounded better. The main meal is pasta with some vegetables which didn't taste anything. I don't know what that salad is, but I didn't like. Dessert was okay. Crackers were also okay, but what do you think that bread looks like? Maybe somebody think it is funny to serve bread that looks like you know... or then somebody just came to work on Monday morning and said that is what we are going to serve. That bread was hard as rock by the way.

Greenland. Sadly very cloudy, but Greenland is something I have wanted to see for a long time.

Second meal of the flight. Okay, this is just pathetic. The same bread again. Now they decided to but something brown inside of it. It was again hard as rock and tasted awful.

Finally at JFK.

At the gate.

Through the necessary procedures and trip to the Manhattan can begin. That trip took almost 2 hours, because of the traffic.

First night and the next day I spent just walking around Manhattan. I remember those old good days when Finnair flew MD-11 to New York. When I was much younger it was my dream to fly with Finnair and MD-11 to New York. Finally that dream came almost true, I experienced Finnair and now I was in New York, but I flew there with a bit more modern airplane.

Who goes to New York without wanting to see the Statue of Liberty? I didn't want to pay and wait with other tourists to get on the island, so I decided to take the free Staten Island Ferry. I was able to see the Statue of Liberty from a good distance and I got also change to take pictures of Manhattan skyline from Staten Island. All of this for free!

Ellis Island.

Statue of Liberty.

Manhattan.

Jersey City.

A couple of pictures from Staten Island.

After the trip to Staten Island and back. I decided to go to see the Brooklyn Bridge, because it is quite near the ferry terminal.

Brooklyn Bridge surprised me totally. I never thought that pedestrians use the middle part of the bridge that goes above cars. I knew that people and cars don't go at the same level, but I thought there is two sidewalks on each side of the bridge. The one quite narrow footpath later split up to two parts in the middle of the bridge. It was a nice experience anyway and it was the only place in the New York (if airport doesn't count) where I met another Finnish person.

Times Square. I did modify this picture a bit, because there were people in front of me.

Central Park. Absolutely amazing place. So peaceful place in the middle of big city. Later I checked from a map how much I walked there and then I just realised how big it really is.

Prometheus at Rockefeller Center.

GE Building.

I also went to see one Rangers match and one Knicks match to the legendary Garden. Tickets weren't cheap, but both of the games were great experiences. I am a big NHL fan and I had only seen one NHL game live before in Helsinki.

One day I went to the Empire State Building and the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum.

Here you can see now officially the tallest building in North America and the Statue of Liberty.

Chrysler Building and LaGuardia Airport in the backround.

The massive Central Park

It wasn't too busy at the Empire State Building, but it still took quite much time to get to the observation deck.
I wouldn't want to experience that when there are much more tourists like in summer probably.

Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum is very exciting museum to visit. I really recommend it to everybody, even if you are not so interested in ships. It is just amazing to see how people have lived inside of those ships. The deck itself looked much smaller than I thought, but I guess present day aircraft carriers are much bigger than Intrepid.

A couple of shots from inside of the ship.

There is also a submarine named Growler that you can visit. It is included in your ticket price, so you don't have to pay anything extra.

I have much more pictures from New York, but I don't want to make too long and boring trip report so let's move on.

JFK-LAX
DL472
Boeing 757 (N717TW)
6:51-10:05

I have flown with Finnair's Boeing 757 many years ago, so this is not a new aircraft type for me, but Delta is a new airline for me.

PTV! This was a surprise, since I didn't expect it to be on this flight.

View from my seat. Last time I was watching out of 757's window I was much younger and I this didn't bother me, but now that I am taller I couldn't really see outside of the window if I was sitting straight. Windows are lower on 757's than on most of the airplanes in my opinion.

Luckily it wasn't cloudy over NYC and I managed to take some photos.

Snacks of the flight. I think that there should be a real meal on a flight as long as this is. I was already very hungry before this flight, but I knew that there would be only snacks. These are still better than nothing and they gave them also more than these three.

Somewhere over Missouri.

Kansas City International Airport

Part of the Rocky Mountains. Not the highest peaks of them though.

Grand Canyon. I don't know was this just a good luck or more like habit, but pilots announced that they would make a small change to the flight route so everybody can see the Grand Canyon. We left from JFK earlier than scheduled so maybe we weren't in a hurry.

Can somebody tell to me what city this is?

Taxiing after landing at LAX.

AA MD-80

Delta B737

At the gate next to a B777.

I stayed in Hollywood. There wasn't actually much to see than Hollywood Boulevard, Santa Monica Boulevard and the famous Hollywood Sign.

One thing surprised me totally. I thought that Hollywood Sign has lights and you could see it when it is dark, but no. Apparently there are no lights, since this photo was taken from the same place as the previous picture.

Christmas tree in Hollywood. I didn't expect to see this in California already in November.

One day I went to Downtown which was a big dissappointment. There were absolutely nothing to see except a few buildings.

Santa Monica was the real jewel I found during my trip. This place remainds me about Miami Beach. Beach, lots of shops and nice weather, what else can you hope for a nice relaxing holiday? Sadly bus was the only for me to go there and that trip took almost 2 hours one-way.

Pictures from Santa Monica Pier.

Blue and cloudless Californian sky.

I didn't know that Route 66 ends here, but now I can probably say that I have been on the Route 66.

A couple last days of my holiday were spoiled by Finnair and its employees. There was a possible strike coming at the time I should be going home and Finnair published a list of possibly operated flights during possible strike. My flight wasn't on the list and I had to contact Finnair. They said it is not their problem, because they didn't sell the tickets to me. They said I should contact American Airlines and ask a new route to home. Well what was the only option to contact them? By calling of course and doing it with my phone would mean every call I make goes through Finland and that would cost me very much so I ain't going to pay that. The only option was to go to the airport and I did. The whole trip from hotel to airport with three metro rail lines and back to hotel took over 4 hours. I didn't get a new route, because my original flight wasn't cancelled yet and AA also said that it is Finnair's problem to solve these situations during strikes. Luckily there wasn't any strike and because of this trip I got to see other parts of LA too.

LAX-JFK
AA118
Boeing 767 (N335AA)
6:54-14:55

Time to go home!

American B737 next to us.

Beautiful view.

This time I was wise and bought my own meal from airport. It wasn't cheap, but still better than nothing, because American didn't offer even snacks. They offered free soft drinks, but I had my own bottle.

One week later back at JFK.

Some spotting from terminal 8 at JFK.

JFK-HEL
AY006
Airbus A330 (OH-LTN)
17:41-8:18

I only have meal photos from this flight, because I was sitting in the row of four seats. I did check-in early, but AA didn't let me change seats on Finnair's flight. I just should have tried to do this flights check-in on AY's website. At least I got seat from last row before toilets so I could lean back as far as the seat goes. I normally keep my seat in that position where it should always be, because I know how annoying it is to have other persons seat in front of your face. Now there was nobody behind me so I enjoyed this "benefit".

This meal was much better than the one I had on HEL-JFK flight. Chicken and potatos and good salad. Dessert was some kind of brownie, which was hard, I prefer to eat them when they are soft. There was some kind of sauce with the chicken which wasn't so good, but still okay meal.

Second meal. Okay, this is the normal Finnish breakfast or snack bread maybe, but it just looks very cheap. I know AY wants to save from everything, but customer experience should still be one of their highest priorities. The bread itself was good, but it is just not enough for a breakfast. There could have been something more with this bread or at least bigger and better bread.

Conclusions

I have to say that every trip to the USA is really worth it. I love American people, because most of them are very friendly. They may not care or know that you are tourist, but they still treat everybody in the same friendly way.

Comparison between New York and Los Angeles

I know it is hard to compare these cities, because everybody has their own opinion about them. I have seen so much pictures and videos from both of these cities and seeing everything in reality was just unbelievable. New York is huge city and there is so much to see. It didn't surprise me as much as I expected, probably because I already "knew" the city from so many different sources. Los Angeles is much different from New York. Public transportation is much worse than in New York. Traffic in LA is also much worse in my opinion. Yes, there is a lot of traffic in New York too, but it is much easier and faster to move there by foot. There is much to see in LA, but you really need a car for that. I liked Santa Monica very much and I would go there again. On the other hand there is pretty much nothing interesting in Downtown LA. Food was much cheaper in Los Angeles than in New York.

Now I can say that I have been in California, but I am not probably going back there anytime soon. If I go back there someday, then I will probably go to San Francisco.

New York is definitely a city where I want to go back someday. There are so many cities I would like to see in USA, but I guess next it will be either Chicago or Washington D.C.

Terminals

Terminal 4 at JFK is spacious and very nice. I know it has been recently renovated. Terminal 8 was in my opinion "typical" American terminal with long corridors. Still there were lots of services which is good. Terminals 4 and 5 at LAX were much older and smaller in my opinion. I also know that LAX has a new international terminal. I did't go there, but I have seen pictures of it and it looks very good. I said this because I don't want to give you that impression that I thing New York is better in everything.

Airplanes

A330 was a new aircraft type for me. Finnair's 2-4-2 seating made it look very crammed. Legroom was okay, but of course selfish Finnish persons can't sleep while sitting straight so they recline their seats. I think every airline should use Ryanair type of non-reclining seats in economy class. If you want better travelling experience then pay more to travel in economy+ or something, where reclining seats could work better.

I still have to mention that I liked AY's seats. Headrest was comfortable and it stayed in its position even if you leaned your head on it.

Delta was a nice experience, but I didn't like their leather seats. Leather is not very comfortable, especially when you are flying 6 hours.

American B767 was old, but not complaining. The flight was 100% full so I wonder how they are going to make out with narrowbodies in the future on that route.

This year has been a record breaker for me. Ten flights during the year, six new airports, five new aircraft types and four new airlines for me.

Thanks for reading and comments are appreciated.

mfc

RE: Trip To New York And Los Angeles: HEL-JFK-LAX

Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:37 pm

Hey finnishway!

Nice report! You're very critical with Finnair but from your pictures I find them OK and their product is similar to competition. New York in Autumn looks beautiful, I have only been there in Summer and the heat can be unbearable. I love LA, but I agree with you that traffic is horrible...

Quoting finnishway (Thread starter):
If I go back there someday, then I will probably go to San Francisco.

San Francisco is the most beautiful city in the USA in my opinion (I haven't visited Chicago though, I've heard it's really nice too) and its surroundings (Sausalito, Muir Woods, Yosemite...) are awesome. They're really worth a visit.

Even before business class passengers get in the plane everybody stands in 10 different lines trying to be the first onboard.

It happens here in Spain too, don't worry  
A330 was a new aircraft type for me. Finnair's 2-4-2 seating made it look very crammed. Legroom was okay, but of course selfish Finnish persons can't sleep while sitting straight so they recline their seats. I think every airline should use Ryanair type of non-reclining seats in economy class. If you want better travelling experience then pay more to travel in economy+ or something, where reclining seats could work better.

If you find 2-4-2 seating crammed I recommend you not to fly any 777 with 3-4-3 seating   I think you're very strict with the people who wants to recline their seats. On every long haul flight that's the normal thing, reclining your seat in order to be more comfortable, I don't mind at all if the person in front of me wants to recline his/her seat as I can recline mine too. If I had to stay in forward position during a long haul flight I would get a terrible neck pain.

Thank you for your writing!

Best regards,

Martín
So, we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past

STT757

Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:26 pm

Quoting mfc (Reply 1):
San Francisco is the most beautiful city in the USA in my opinion

I agree, I'm born and raised in NYC but I have to give it to San Francisco. Most beautiful city in the US. With Los Angeles you have to know where your going, it's not the place to visit without a plan, a map and a rental car. New York City you can visit 100 times and still find something new just wondering around on foot.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

lychemsa

Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:46 pm

I would never fly Finnair if possible. Their meals are on par with US carriers; the worst.

I did fly them in the 1970s from Amsterdam to New York on a DC-8. Their meals were OK then.

harim

Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:21 am

Nice report - thank you!

I concur with your observation w.r.t. the best parts are the beach towns - it feels like a world away from LA proper.

On AY's food, my inclination is that most mainline European flights are heading this way (hold-outs may be Lufthansa, British Airways) - KLM's food isn't fabulous but they do a good job with presentation and service.

Recently, in Y class, I have only found Emirates food to be worthy (even Singapore Airlines is scrimping back).

Thank you again for your report  

Carfield

Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:20 am

Thanks for sharing!

I am actually very surprised at the pre-arrival snack service.
They are small and it is just wrong to serve just a sandwich with no side dishes. That is just a new low. I think the US airlines serve more food than Finnair, as an arrival meal. I don't expect meal on tray, but at least a sandwich, a pack of chips and a cookie.

Carfield

Coal

Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:41 am

Thanks for sharing, I found your report quite funny.

That bread was hard as rock by the way.

Shame. I would have expected it to be warm and mushy.

Cheers
Coal
Nxt Flts: SQ SIN-KIX | HD UKB-CTS | NH CTS-NRT | SQ NRT-SIN | AK SIN-DPS-SIN

finnishway
Topic Author

Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:09 am

Thanks for your comments!

Quoting mfc (Reply 1):
Nice report! You're very critical with Finnair but from your pictures I find them OK and their product is similar to competition.

Yes, I am very critical about Finnair, because it is has changed very much just in last five years. Finnair has been a good airline, but nowadays you can clearly see that their cost cutting has affected to everything. AY is not that AY that I and other Finnish people knew some years ago.

Just a few years ago there wasn't much about Finnair in the media. Nowadays there is something about Finnair in the media almost every day. All of the news are about their new cost cutting programs or techincal problems with aircraft that led to hours or even days of delays.

I just can't see AY surviving alone and I really hope some airline with money and interest will invest in Finnair, if government will sell their majority stake in AY.

Quoting mfc (Reply 1):
If you find 2-4-2 seating crammed I recommend you not to fly any 777 with 3-4-3 seating I think you're very strict with the people who wants to recline their seats. On every long haul flight that's the normal thing, reclining your seat in order to be more comfortable, I don't mind at all if the person in front of me wants to recline his/her seat as I can recline mine too. If I had to stay in forward position during a long haul flight I would get a terrible neck pain.

I would like to fly with B777. Not every airline fly with 3-4-3 seating, but I don't know how B777 with 3-3-3 seating compares to A330 with 2-4-2 seating.

For me it is not problem to stay in forward position for many hours. I don't find that reclining my seat would make me feel more comfortable. If there is a good headrest that will help you to avoid pain in neck. I don't use my seat recline, because I try to be polite and I hope everyone else does too. I don't know how many have tried this, but it is actually quite easy to show your opinion about seat recline to the person sitting in front of you, just put your legs close to the back of the seat or if you are shorter you can put your hand luggage between your legs and the seat so the seat in front of you won't recline so much .

Quoting STT757 (Reply 2):
With Los Angeles you have to know where your going, it's not the place to visit without a plan, a map and a rental car. New York City you can visit 100 times and still find something new just wondering around on foot.

I completely agree with this!

Quoting lychemsa (Reply 3):
I would never fly Finnair if possible.

I try to avoid it also in the future.

Quoting harim (Reply 4):
On AY's food, my inclination is that most mainline European flights are heading this way (hold-outs may be Lufthansa, British Airways)

Yes and Lufthansa and British Airways are those airlines that have money and much brighter future ahead. Finnair is probably one of those airlines that may not exist 10 years from now, at least in its current model. There is a huge difference between LH's & BA's food compared to AY. Even LH's short haul sandwiches win these Finnair's longhaul sandwiches.

Quoting Carfield (Reply 5):
They are small and it is just wrong to serve just a sandwich with no side dishes. That is just a new low. I think the US airlines serve more food than Finnair, as an arrival meal. I don't expect meal on tray, but at least a sandwich, a pack of chips and a cookie.

That is true. I flew with AA from MIA to MAD in last January and their breakfast was much better than this Finnair's.

Quoting Coal (Reply 6):
Shame. I would have expected it to be warm and mushy.

That was a good one.

f16arm

Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:04 pm

It looks like Bullhead City, AZ!

[https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=35.115556,-114.588611&q=loc:35.115556,-114.588611&hl=en&t=h&z=12]
One weekend a month and two (cough, cough 45, 90, 120 days) weeks a year supports my habbit

pvjin

Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:58 pm

Nice report just like the one from your previous trip to the US, I like it!

I agree about Finnair's food offerings not being that good most of the time, I really can't remember getting particularly good food on their flights compared to what I once got on Austrian Arrows flight from Helsinki to Vienna.

I don't agree about people ignoring the boarding group being just a Finnish thing though, I remember seeing such behavior elsewhere in Europe too. Certainly it's stupid anyway, getting to the plane among the first ones doesn't make it leave any faster.

I would certainly love to visit the US some day, though I don't think I would spend that much time in cities as I'm more interested in natural landscape... Grand Canyon and other great natural attractions around the Western US are something I wish to explore.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:42 am

Thanks for your report!

This is something I have been waiting for, because usually Finnair's meals are very bad.

Wow, definitely not impressive. Come on, Finnair! It looks like they just took a bunch of snacks and put them on a tray ...

Nice views from your trip to CA! I love Santa Monica as well; great place to visit!

Matthew (767747)
I love to fly!

flymia

Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:17 pm

Nice report. Enjoyed the read.

On the other hand there is pretty much nothing interesting in Downtown LA.

From a tourist perspective I can agree. I am not from LA but I go there often and I enjoy downtown but I can see how from a normal tourist perspective there is nothing great to see. I will see I do enjoy the food a lot in LA.
Did you happen to stop by the infamous IN-N-OUT chain?

There are so many cities I would like to see in USA, but I guess next it will be either Chicago or Washington D.C.

Both great choices. Especially D.C. so much to do in that city for a visitor. If you plan D.C. make sure to have at least 3-4 days. You will not have one second free. Just so many museums, and sites and so many of them are free too! Go to D.C.!
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

lewis

Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:58 pm

PTV! This was a surprise, since I didn't expect it to be on this flight.

There are PTVs, I just don't like the inconsistency of the product between aircraft. I fly the JFK-LAX route weekly and sometimes I pick the 767 flight because, not only is the movie selection greater (which is not my point) - but also most if not all movies are free, while on the 757 some of them are and others cost $6.

One thing surprised me totally. I thought that Hollywood Sign has lights and you could see it when it is dark, but no. Apparently there are no lights, since this photo was taken from the same place as the previous picture.

I think at some point in time the sign was lit but the people living right below it did not like the brightness of it. I have found the people that live right below the sign to be very peculiar. They would hate the sign to be lit and they are very aggressive towards tourists. I had taken some friends up to where the residential area finishes just to see the sign from a closer point and we were harassed by local residents who did not like us parking in their neighborhood even if it was perfectly legal to do so. At the point where we went, where other visitors also tend to go, the locals had written with big stones on an empty lot "TOURISTS GO AWAY". I find it very weird for people to behave like that after choosing to live right below one of the most recognizable landmarks in the world...

One day I went to Downtown which was a big dissappointment. There were absolutely nothing to see except a few buildings.

There are a few places to see there. MOCA (Museum of Contemporary Art) is one of the main attractions and some nice rooftop bars/restaurants in the area. The old bank district also has nice bars and restaurants and you can find very good food in Little Tokyo. In general, if you know where you are going it is a fun (and different for LA standards) place to be. The area is very up and coming and with the new Broad museum it will be attracting more visitors.

Santa Monica was the real jewel I found during my trip. This place remainds me about Miami Beach. Beach, lots of shops and nice weather, what else can you hope for a nice relaxing holiday? Sadly bus was the only for me to go there and that trip took almost 2 hours one-way.

Santa Monica is OK, too touristy for me but I guess for a visitor is a must. I hope you got a chance to also visit Venice beach and the boardwalk there, less "sterile" than Santa Monica and much more interesting. No shops like Santa Monica's 3rd st Promenade but plenty of bars and restaurants and - if you know where you are going - a nice stroll through the Venice canals.

finnishway
Topic Author

Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:52 pm

Thanks for comments!

Quoting f16arm (Reply 8):
It looks like Bullhead City, AZ!

It sure does.

Quoting pvjin (Reply 9):
... Grand Canyon and other great natural attractions around the Western US are something I wish to explore.

There are plenty of those to choose from in the US.

Quoting 767747 (Reply 10):
Nice views from your trip to CA!

Sunny, relaxing and certainly nice place to visit.

Quoting flymia (Reply 11):
Did you happen to stop by the infamous IN-N-OUT chain?

I didn't. It was in my mind, but I forgot to go. I visited KFC first time in my life! For somebody it may not sound special, but there are no KFC's in Finland. The only big American fast-food chain in Finland is McDonald's.

Quoting flymia (Reply 11):
make sure to have at least 3-4 days. You will not have one second free. Just so many museums, and sites and so many of them are free too!

I know. There are many places in D.C. where I would like to go.

Quoting lewis (Reply 12):

I think at some point in time the sign was lit but the people living right below it did not like the brightness of it.

Thanks for information! Now I am wiser.

. I find it very weird for people to behave like that after choosing to live right below one of the most recognizable landmarks in the world...

That is not the only place in the world with that kind of problems. For example why you choose to live near airport if you hate airplanes? You know they make noise so you just have to live with it. Especially people who live near LHR only complain about the airport.

No shops like Santa Monica's 3rd st Promenade

I like that place. Just something that you don't find in Downtown LA or Hollywood. Hollywood has same kind of places, but shops in Santa Monica are much better.

JAAlbert

Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:26 pm

Finnishway, I'm so glad you enjoyed your trip to the United States! I agree with the others, if you enjoyed NYC, you will love San Francisco. You really should look into a return flight as soon as you can and visit San Francisco - picturesque, lots to do, fun people, great food, wine country just up the road - and a great international airport! Who could ask for more?

finnishway
Topic Author

Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:30 pm

Quoting JAAlbert (Reply 14):
Finnishway, I'm so glad you enjoyed your trip to the United States!

I really did! This was my second trip to the USA and I think every trip there is really amazing. I love American culture and there are so many things that I want to see in USA.

Quoting JAAlbert (Reply 14):
! I agree with the others, if you enjoyed NYC, you will love San Francisco. You really should look into a return flight as soon as you can and visit San Francisco - picturesque, lots to do, fun people, great food, wine country just up the road - and a great international airport! Who could ask for more?

I have just recovered from my last trip so no new trips for a while thanks . I haven't decided where I want to travel next, but it will not be before next summer at least.

California wasn't so amazing when I was there, but now when I am home I really miss it. I miss those warm cloudless days and cheap prices compared to Finland. Everybody are much more friendly there than here. Maybe I will go back some day.

9w748capt

Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:38 pm

Nice report, glad you enjoyed your visit! As others have suggested, on your next trip definitely make it a point to visit cities that are better served by public transport (Chicago, Boston, DC, SF). LA is an amazingly lonely place if you're by yourself and without a rental car.

Too bad AY disappointed you! Have to say their service looks fairly standard though. BA/AA are about the same. And what's the problem with 2-4-2 in Y? That's absolutely standard A330 seating. By crammed, was the pitch tight? Because that's a different issue entirely.

And surely AA had buy-on-board food available on your return leg LAX-JFK? Not sure at all what you meant by "American didn't even offer snacks." I guess you meant "free snacks"? Sadly the American consumer has spoken and the $200 transcon fare is more appealing than a bag of peanuts, which won't sustain you on a 5 hour flight anyway. So you did the right thing by bringing your own food onboard. Such is life.

finnishway
Topic Author

Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:59 pm

Thanks for your comment.

Quoting 9w748capt (Reply 16):
As others have suggested, on your next trip definitely make it a point to visit cities that are better served by public transport (Chicago, Boston, DC, SF)

I agree with you. It was so easy to move around Manhattan thanks to the large subway network. I will definitely think more about public transportation options when I choose my next destination even if it is not in the USA.

Too bad AY disappointed you! Have to say their service looks fairly standard though. BA/AA are about the same. And what's the problem with 2-4-2 in Y? That's absolutely standard A330 seating. By crammed, was the pitch tight? Because that's a different issue entirely.

Well, it didn't surprise me. AY has disappointed me so many times, but sometimes it has been the cheapest and easiest option to choose.

BA and AA are much better. I have flown with both of them and their service just beats Finnair every time.

Well for me 2-4-2 in A330 looked much more crammed than 3-4-3 in BA's B747. I don't know how much difference there is really, but it is just my opinion. BA's B747 looks different from inside than AY's A330, maybe that is one reason why B747 was more spacious in my opinion.

I don't have problem with the seat pitch if the seat in front of me is not reclined.

And surely AA had buy-on-board food available on your return leg LAX-JFK? Not sure at all what you meant by "American didn't even offer snacks."

Yes, they have buy-on-board available, but Delta has buy-on-board service also, still Delta gave free drinks and snacks, AA served free water and some other drinks. I guess they don't mind if you eat your own food, because everybody sitting near me ate their own food and flight attendants didn't care about it.

Flightsimboy

Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:41 pm

Nice little report, and having New York as a destination is always fun!

Airbus A330 (OH-LTN)

A good insight into AY's A330s which will be coming to YYZ in Summer 2014 (Seasonal service)

http://airlineroute.net/2013/10/17/ay-s14update1/

Even before business class passengers get in the plane everybody stands in 10 different lines trying to be the first onboard. I followed this same thing when I was flying from JFK to LAX and back. American people don't do that thing.

I think you see this everywhere at all airports....I doubt very much it's just a Finnish thing lol.

As far as Americans not doing it, is because like most North American's they couldn't be bothered to stand in line and wait, and rather have their bottoms sitting in a seat instead....However there is a general adherence to announcements made, so they get up when it's time to without the mad dash to get to the front.

In-ear headphones, blanket and pillow. I don't like in-ear headphones, because they just hurt. All of these amenities are very nice, but I don't use them so they just take space from already small place. Seatpocket is full of magazines so they don't fit there

You were trying to squeeze a pillow and blanket into the seatpocket, huh? You may get the blanket in there if you tried hard enough without the magazines, but both?

Meal of the flight. This is something I have been waiting for, because usually Finnair's meals are very bad. This time I chose the vegetarian option, because it sounded better. The main meal is pasta with some vegetables which didn't taste anything. I don't know what that salad is, but I didn't like. Dessert was okay. Crackers were also okay, but what do you think that bread looks like? Maybe somebody think it is funny to serve bread that looks like you know... or then somebody just came to work on Monday morning and said that is what we are going to serve. That bread was hard as rock by the way.

That meal does look really bad. Looks like they opened the snack bar and threw random items on the tray lol

Who goes to New York without wanting to see the Statue of Liberty? I didn't want to pay and wait with other tourists to get on the island, so I decided to take the free Staten Island Ferry. I was able to see the Statue of Liberty from a good distance and I got also change to take pictures of Manhattan skyline from Staten Island. All of this for free!

Well you do get a fairly good view of the Statue of Liberty from the the ferries, but I would not consider it as having seen the Statue of Liberty unless you have actually gone to the Island and seen her up close and personal. But at least you did get the views from the Ferry.

I think that there should be a real meal on a flight as long as this is. I was already very hungry before this flight, but I knew that there would be only snacks.

Real meal on a flight in North America, in Economy? Keep dreaming lol. You want a real meal, and even then it's hardly a real meal, just a regular sandwich sold at exorbitant prices.

At least I got seat from last row before toilets so I could lean back as far as the seat goes. I normally keep my seat in that position where it should always be, because I know how annoying it is to have other persons seat in front of your face. Now there was nobody behind me so I enjoyed this "benefit".

The other "benefit" for me is that there is no behind me kicking my seat, though these last seats normally come with a sacrifice of a restricted recline. And of course a lot of traffic in and out of the washrooms, with the usual whoosh of the flush if it's right behind your seat ha,ha

I love American people, because most of them are very friendly.

New Yorkers are not known to be the most unfriendliest of the lot, but I found some very friendly ones when I was there myself, so I guess it's just who you meet. I did however have a lady push her way through us "tourists" shouting "Don't block my way, you tourists"...but then there was a promotion at the store and the entire sidewalk was blocked by the masses, with hardly any space for the locals to get through...don't blame her!
LAX772LR - "Answer to goofy question:" in response to my question about the B737-MAX8 being grounded. 48 hours later all B737-MAX8 grounded worldwide. Go figure!!

finnishway
Topic Author

Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:23 am

Quoting flightsimboy (Reply 18):
Nice little report, and having New York as a destination is always fun!

Thanks! I think so too. I just came from there and I already want to go back.

A good insight into AY's A330s which will be coming to
I think you see this everywhere at all airports....I doubt very much it's just a Finnish thing lol.

That may be true, but it is very Finnish to be selfish. If you come to Finland, don't expect people to be friendly in the same way than Americans for example.

You were trying to squeeze a pillow and blanket into the seatpocket, huh? You may get the blanket in there if you tried hard enough without the magazines, but both?

I tried, but I only managed to put blanket there. If you look carefully second meal picture of my first flight you can notice that half of the blanket is resting on the table .

That meal does look really bad. Looks like they opened the snack bar and threw random items on the tray lol

I totally agree with you.

Well you do get a fairly good view of the Statue of Liberty from the the ferries, but I would not consider it as having seen the Statue of Liberty unless you have actually gone to the Island and seen her up close and personal. But at least you did get the views from the Ferry.

Well I wasn't disappointed, because I saved quite much money and time. I think you can get better pictures of the Statue of Liberty when you are not standing near it. Its a bit same thing with the route 66. I can say that I have been on route 66 in Santa Monica though I haven't really seen much of it. The best parts of it are in different states.

Real meal on a flight in North America, in Economy? Keep dreaming lol. You want a real meal, and even then it's hardly a real meal, just a regular sandwich sold at exorbitant prices.

I don't have much experience from domestic flights in North America, but I have flown quite many times in Europe. They are much shorter flights and warm meals are normal things especially on leisure flights. You may not get warm meals on many scheduled flights, but still you get free sandwiches or snacks which are included in your ticket price. You get nothing on AA's flight from LAX to JFK! But as I mentioned, they didn't mind if you ate your own meals and that is something I think European airlines wouldn't like you to do.

And of course a lot of traffic in and out of the washrooms, with the usual whoosh of the flush if it's right behind your seat ha,ha

That is true, but it didn't really bother me.

New Yorkers are not known to be the most unfriendliest of the lot, but I found some very friendly ones when I was there myself, so I guess it's just who you meet. I did however have a lady push her way through us "tourists" shouting "Don't block my way, you tourists"...but then there was a promotion at the store and the entire sidewalk was blocked by the masses, with hardly any space for the locals to get through...don't blame her!

Yes. That depends where you go. In some places people are used to see tourists all the time, but what I like in America is that most of the people are really friendly. Even if you are a tourist they don't come to say "buy this I give you good price" and that kind of things. In many countries that is very annoying. I like the American way of smalltalk with people that you don't know. I know it is normal in English speaking countries, but in Finland. It is something I am not used to. You can try that when you come to Finland. Try smalltalk at a bus stop with somebody.

[Edited 2013-12-05 02:24:48]

[Edited 2013-12-05 02:26:53]

thegoldenargosy

Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:07 pm

Quoting finnishway (Reply 19):
I don't have much experience from domestic flights in North America, but I have flown quite many times in Europe. They are much shorter flights and warm meals are normal things especially on leisure flights. You may not get warm meals on many scheduled flights, but still you get free sandwiches or snacks which are included in your ticket price. You get nothing on AA's flight from LAX to JFK! But as I mentioned, they didn't mind if you ate your own meals and that is something I think European airlines wouldn't like you to do.

All of the legacies (US, AA, UA, DL) no longer serve meals or snacks on any domestic flights in Y, including East Coast-Hawaii which is a 9-10hr flight. DL is the only airline that still serves peanuts, pretzels, and cookies. All the other airlines no longer provide any food at all.

finnishway
Topic Author

Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:33 pm

Quoting thegoldenargosy (Reply 20):
All of the legacies (US, AA, UA, DL) no longer serve meals or snacks on any domestic flights in Y, including East Coast-Hawaii which is a 9-10hr flight.

I knew that so I didn't expect a meal, but I did expect some kind of free snacks.

Quoting thegoldenargosy (Reply 20):
DL is the only airline that still serves peanuts, pretzels, and cookies.

This is something I think every legacy airline should serve at least.

I don't have a problem with buy on board snacks, but at least it would be nice to pay with cash. These airlines only accept credit cards. I know credit card is not a special thing in America, but in Europe it is.

thegoldenargosy

Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:52 am

Quoting finnishway (Reply 21):
I don't have a problem with buy on board snacks, but at least it would be nice to pay with cash. These airlines only accept credit cards. I know credit card is not a special thing in America, but in Europe it is.

Most Americans pay with debit cards for just about everything. The thing I hate most about Europe is having to pay cash for almost everything.

finnishway
Topic Author

Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:54 am

Quoting thegoldenargosy (Reply 22):
Most Americans pay with debit cards for just about everything. The thing I hate most about Europe is having to pay cash for almost everything.

I don't know if you wrote wrong or do you just use different phrases in USA, but we use debit cards in Europe very much.

Personally I only have a debit card, because I can't get a credit card. That is probably why people in Europe don't use so much credit cards. You just don't get them easily.

I use my debit card only for ATM's to get cash and purchases from the web. If I go to a shop I always pay with cash, because it is easier and faster.

willzzz88

Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:42 am

finnishway, you can actually use any international debit OR credit card with a mag-stripe in the US as long as it has the VISA or MasterCard logo. The payment networks are international. Most cards in Europe are so you can use it in the US.

finnishway
Topic Author

Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:59 pm

Quoting willzzz88 (Reply 24):
finnishway, you can actually use any international debit OR credit card with a mag-stripe in the US as long as it has the VISA or MasterCard logo.

I know that, but I didn't know can you pay with Visa Electron while up in the air. In Finland I think it is not possible to pay with Visa Electron for example on train. It needs to make connection so I don't know is it possible while flying, but both of my North American flights had WiFi.

I have ordered a lot of things from international online stores with my debit card.