Thai744
Topic Author

Qantas A330-300 J Class, SYD-BKK

Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:09 am

Hi Again,

I hope you enjoyed my last trip report about Emirates First Class between BKK-HKG and Business Class on the return. You can find the report here: A Day Trip On Emirates In F And J (by Thai744 Feb 16 2014 in Trip Reports)

To get up to Bangkok I used Qantas, and applied for a points upgrade from Y to J, which came through the night before the flight. I'm not surprised it was late coming through - there was only 1 Biz Class seat left out of 30 on the flight, so it was pretty busy.

As usual, I will keep text to a minimum and let the pictures do the talking.

As the flight left at 1000, this meant an early morning departure by train to the airport.

And, being and early hour, there weren't too many people around!

After changing trains at Central I arrived about 0645 at the airport and check in was very quiet in the Qantas Club / Business / First area for Qantas.

These are the new-ish check-in machines I hadn't seen before.

After a very efficient and quick check-in, and allocation of seat 1K, I went through immigration and into the duty free section. It seemed there was a bit of a "Chinese New Year" theme going on.

And some Apple branding too.

I'll save my A380 experience for when I'm in Bangkok! Today it was an A330-300 that would take me to BKK.

My ride today - VH-QPI "Cairns". One of the later-delivered A330-300's to QF. (Sorry about the reflection on the glass).

Then it was upstairs to the QF Business Lounge. As you walk up there are very good views of the shopping area below.

Entry to the Business Lounge:

The look and feel of the lounge is quite nice. It's a very busy lounge, but it's decorated quite nicely. I like the "Central Bar Seating" area.

Lots of Reading Material

And buffet / drinks section which seemed to have improved quite a lot since I was last in here. A full hot breakfast was available today.

Cereals were available as well, of course.

There is also a "Family Zone" with Play Stations / Toys / Kids Books, which seems to be a great idea for families.

More of the Family Zone

Then time for a glass of Breakfast Bubbly

And some breakfast - which was really good! Awesome sausages!

Bathrooms in the club are nicely appointed

Saw this beauty on the way to the gate - heading to JNB

And "Middle East Meets East"

Boarding was underway when I arrived and I was quickly onboard and found my seat, 1K. It's the original "Sky Bed" (Mark I) Business Class Seat. Obviously the new one is better, but I found this one perfectly comfortable for the 9 hour flight to BKK.

It would be a full J cabin, bar one, this morning

Champagne was served the moment I sat down

And legroom in 1K, as you'd expect, perfectly fine!

1J and 1K. The lady in 1J was connecting through to Tel Aviv on EL AL in Bangkok.

Menus were already in the seat pocket. Here's the BEVERAGE MENU:

More Drinks:

And the FOOD MENU, which is Neil Perry-themed, and based on SMALL or MAIN plates.

After this, push-back 10 minutes late and we trundled out to runway 34L for take off.

Lift Off!

Views of Sydney after take-off

Pre-Lunch Drink Service started with a Jack Daniels' and Coke and some nibbles...

And noice-cancelling headseats offered for the inflight entertainment system

Whilst the inflight entertainment wasn't as wide-ranging as EK or SQ for example, it was still perfectly adequate for this flight of 9 hours, but the screen wasn't really that clear. More than watchable, however.

There were snacks available during the flight as well.

A bottle of water was handed out and fitted perfectly in these storage areas.

Then it was time for lunch. I had wanted the terrine from the menu, but I was told this had run out already and would the Mushroom Soup be ok? No problem for me. Bread was offered as well.

Then for main I had the Lamb Rack and it was nice and tasty.

Lamb Rack

Then a cheese plate and Raspberry Ice Cream for dessert. All-in-all, a very pleasant meal.

Raspberry Ice Cream

Time to extend the seat into a bed and catch an hour or two's sleep, which I did quite happily as we passed Darwin.

After waking up I took a walk down the back to stretch my legs and it was packed. QF had been using a 747-400 on this sector during high season, and changed it to an A330-300 as of 1 Feb. Still lots of people travelling, however!

Anyone with a degree in electrical engineering? Seems like you might need one! LOL.

This is where the CSM (Customer Service Manager) - head of the cabin service - has his or her "office" on board.

There is no second meal service per se, however, you can order a meal at any time from what's left over without any problems. I ordered a "Chicken Schnitzel Sandwich" and when the cabin crew I ordered with came back she said she had actually found some extra serves of the terrine and remembered I didn't get one at lunch time, so brought me one of those as well. Very thoughtful and appreciated!

Chicken Schnitzel Sandwich - REALLY good! Hit the spot!

Then time for a bit more of a snooze before descending into BKK.

Somewhere over Cambodia

And on finals into Bangkok

Where we landed about 20 minutes early

Almost at the gate

There was nobody at immigration, but I had a fast track anyway. I was really impressed to see my luggage first-up on the carousel and I was aircraft to kerbside in 20 minutes, including a quick stop at the ATM to grab some baht.

Grabbed a taxi outside departures (easier than going downstairs) and a quick run into the Novotel Bangkok Ploenchit, which I can highly recommend. A great location next to the BTS (Sky Train) station, nice rooms, and only been opened for a couple of years, so everything is still pretty fresh and new.

Working area

I was pretty impressed with the service I received.
The aircraft was in good condition, and whilst the hard product is a little dated compared to some of its competitors, it's still perfectly fine for a 9 hour flight to Asia.
When QF start refurbishing these A330's towards the end of this year, the J class product will be amazing.
The crew were lovely and professional and very friendly. Each request was met with a smile and nothing was a problem. They were an older crew and had been flying a long time. They knew how the concept of customer service worked without going overboard.
I would recommend QANTAS Business Class as a solid product that is dependable and reliable.

Thanks for reading my report.
Thai744.

[Edited 2014-02-18 23:11:43]

B738FlyUIA

RE: Qantas A330-300 J Class, SYD-BKK

Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:14 am

Hi Thai744

Thanks for the great TR in QR. Seams you had there on the flight a awesome time and was really interesting to read. Great shots you did and a pleasure to read from a soon TR from you.

Quoting Thai744 (Thread starter):
And, being and early hour, there weren't too many people around!

- got some nice trains there also. Are they seated 3-3?

And some Apple branding too.

- for sure my favorite store  
And some breakfast - which was really good! Awesome sausages!

- that looks really super and is my favorite breakfast. Didn't grab another plate?  
Then for main I had the Lamb Rack and it was nice and tasty.
Chicken Schnitzel Sandwich - REALLY good! Hit the spot!

- OMG I think with only one would not be enough!! Looks really high quality on both pic's!!  
Novotel Bangkok Ploenchit, which I can highly recommend.

- thanks for the tip! as planning to go to BKK this year!!!

in all a very enjoyable TR.

Thanks for sharing
Regards
Zolti.

Thai744
Topic Author

Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:12 am

Thanks Zolti.

Yes, the NEW trains in Sydney aren't too bad. Seating is 3 on one side and 2 on the other.

Only one breakfast plate was eaten... I could have had another, but I wanted to save myself for the flight! LOL.

Glad you enjoyed the trip report and got some information that's useful to you from it.
Appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Thai744.

dirktraveller

Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:01 am

Hi Thai744,

Nice trip report on your trip to BKK. Qantas A333 looks nice, and despite the product not being the latest, it seemed to have done its purpose very well. But then I heard QF has some of the refurbished A330s in service, and I was quite surprised that a 9-hour international hop to BKK did still get the older product.

Still lots of people travelling, however!

The plane looks full indeed, amazing still lots of people traveled considering all the news we've been seeing about Bangkok.

More of the Family Zone

Nice touch! Usually lounges are very much concentrated on meeting the needs of business travellers, so nice to see that QF is being family-friendly too with their lounges.

but I was told this had run out already and would the Mushroom Soup be ok?

I wondered how you find the meal service? Heard they have just rolled out some "mix-and-match" concept on International J service? And I wondered how did they run out of the entree when you are seated in 1K?! :O

Thanks for sharing this enjoyable read, looking forward to your next work!  

Regards,
Dirktraveller

bps3458

Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:23 am

The crew were lovely and professional and very friendly. Each request was met with a smile and nothing was a problem. They were an older crew and had been flying a long time. They knew how the concept of customer service worked without going overboard.

Hi Thai744,

your above summary is the reason why I am still a loyal QF passenger. None of this pretentious BS but solid customer service without being obtrusive. Your trip reports is a great "appetiser" as I'll be on QF 23 in 23 days to attend a conference in BKK. I'll be in seat 2K. Really looking forward to this trip. Will be coming back 4 days later on the EK codeshare.

Cheers from Brisbane,

Peter

klinit

Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:38 am

Great trip report. Just something I'm curious about: it says you can choose from an extensive menu or use the "plate concept". How does this work?
Thanks!

Thai744
Topic Author

Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:58 am

Quoting klinit (Reply 5):
Great trip report. Just something I'm curious about: it says you can choose from an extensive menu or use the "plate concept". How does this work?
Thanks!

Hi Klinit,

Yes - it's a bit confusing!

They came around after take off and asked for us to choose one item from the "Small Plate" selection and one item from the "main plate" selection. Then they served these. This was the only "scheduled" meal service on the flight, however...
You could choose from any of the plates that happened to be left over at any time during the flight. It seemed to work on a basis of "you could have whatever's left over from the meal service", however they seemed to have most choices available and I didn't see a lot of people ordering a second meal during the flight.

In other words, there didn't seem to be any chance of them running out of food, however, if everyone in the cabin was hungry and ordered a second meal you might have a problem. We were fine, and we had 29/30 seats occupied.

Thai744
Topic Author

Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:59 am

Quoting bps3458 (Reply 4):
Hi Thai744,

your above summary is the reason why I am still a loyal QF passenger. None of this pretentious BS but solid customer service without being obtrusive. Your trip reports is a great "appetiser" as I'll be on QF 23 in 23 days to attend a conference in BKK. I'll be in seat 2K. Really looking forward to this trip. Will be coming back 4 days later on the EK codeshare.

Cheers from Brisbane,

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the comment, and yes - I agree 100% with what you say.
Enjoy your flights up and back - I did!

Thai744
Topic Author

Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:03 am

Quoting dirktraveller (Reply 3):
I wondered how you find the meal service? Heard they have just rolled out some "mix-and-match" concept on International J service? And I wondered how did they run out of the entree when you are seated in 1K?! :O

Hi Dirk!

If you see my reply to Klinit a couple of posts above you'll have the answer to your question. It did seem quite casual and very much a mix-n-match affair. As I said, no one went hungry, however.

How did they run out when I was seated in 1K?
Well... qood question! I thought the same thing myself on the flight.

I'm pretty sure it was because I was on a points upgrade and they went around to the "fare-paying" passengers first for their orders. They took the lady's order in seat 1J and then said to me: "I'll come back to you, Sir".
Not sure how I feel about this. Even when using points to upgrade to J class, those points are still a currency of sorts, so you shouldn't have to make any concessions to people who paid for a J class fare with cash etc.
If it was an upgrade at the gate for example, then no problem, but when using points I feel you should be treated the same as all other passengers.

It didn't matter - in the end it worked out well.

Thanks for the nice comments, Dirk! Safe travels to you.

flylonghaul

Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:36 pm

Great Report.

That is the exact same menu that I was served on QF9 recently.
And you went for the exact same choice as me   Both options were very tasty I thought.
Flying for Pleasure

ba319-131

Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:38 pm

Nice read and pictures, thanks for sharing.

I've had a few QF flights, mix of intl JCL and domestic Y class, always had good service.

Cheers

Mark
111 732 733 734 735 736 73G 738 739,7M8 BBJ 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 764 772 77L 773 77W L15 D10 D30 D40 AB3 AB6 312 313 318 319 320 20N 321 21N 332 333 342 343 345 346 359 351 388 CS1 CS3 I86 154 SSJ CRJ CR7 CR9 CRK 145 170 175 220

j77w

Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:45 pm

Quoting Thai744 (Reply 8):
I'm pretty sure it was because I was on a points upgrade and they went around to the "fare-paying" passengers first for their orders. They took the lady's order in seat 1J and then said to me: "I'll come back to you, Sir".
Not sure how I feel about this. Even when using points to upgrade to J class, those points are still a currency of sorts, so you shouldn't have to make any concessions to people who paid for a J class fare with cash etc.
If it was an upgrade at the gate for example, then no problem, but when using points I feel you should be treated the same as all other passengers.

I noticed while flying the same aircraft equipment on a SYD-CGK sector last year, the FA zigzagging back-and-forth through the cabin taking orders (even though the menus also referred so small and large "plates" - we were simply offered a choice of 'entrée' and 'main'). Given that:

- I was seated in row 4
- When seeing the FA commence taking preferences from a guy in 1A, my seat mate and I debating how likely we were to get our choice given we were the 2nd last row - only to find him heading straight to *our* seats, where my seatmate was 2nd cab-off-the-rank followed by myself in 3rd place, after which the FA zipped up the front to row 2 on the other side to take the next order.
- The FA was referencing a list which seemed to 'dictate' the order in which customers were being seen

I thinking there is "order" to this "chaos" - namely, in order of QF/OW Status, followed by fare paying, then award redemptions, with 'op-ups' at the bottom of the ladder.

And I agree about the new Qantas A330 Business (assuming the news on latest crisis doesn't throw these plans into disarray) - from the pics I've seen, the new seating for QF's A330 business fleet will be pretty spectacular!

Flightsimboy

Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:25 pm

Hi

I did SYD-BKK on BA almost two decades ago, so that sector is very special to me....Nice to see that route on QF!!

It seemed there was a bit of a "Chinese New Year" theme going on.

Or just an excuse as usual to use any festive occasion to sell more products!!

Views of Sydney after take-off

I dream of that view, but always have left from some other runway out of the four departures I've had out of SYD

I ordered a "Chicken Schnitzel Sandwich" and when the cabin crew I ordered with came back she said she had actually found some extra serves of the terrine and remembered I didn't get one at lunch time, so brought me one of those as well. Very thoughtful and appreciated!

Very nice of her to remember that....
LAX772LR - "Answer to goofy question:" in response to my question about the B737-MAX8 being grounded. 48 hours later all B737-MAX8 grounded worldwide. Go figure!!

themit9

Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:10 pm

Hi Thai744,

A really good trip report. I recently flew from Perth to Melbourne on VH-EBI "Yarra Valley"- an A330 with the Skybed Mark 1 seats (I really liked the seat, although that was a three hour flight) and on that flight they had the same international-style service ( New Qantas Intl Dining- MEL-PER-MEL In Business (by themit9 Aug 19 2013 in Trip Reports) ) with the small plates and main plates. I also had the same Chicken Schnitzel sandwich and agree that it's very good comfort food for while travelling. The lamb also looked great.

I also liked your behind-the-scenes look at the lighting controls and purser's palace. Always interesting to see something a bit different not usually covered in other reports.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
themit9

AirAfreak

Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:41 pm

Sawatdee-krub Thai744!

It's always nice reading reports with nice food photos... thank YOU!!!

Qantas has a very nice offering it seems to Asia. I really like the lighting design by Yamagiwa in the QF Lounge in SYD above the bar. I am sort of a lighting nerd. haha!

It was nice to hear the immigration area was not busy at Suvarnabhumi at that time of the day. I always land very late at night and depart very early in the morning from BKK at 05h30am so it is nice to hear good things about daytime arrivals. On that note, it's nice to see what BKK looks like in sunlight, too!  

In terms of seat comfort, how would you compare TG with QF in J on this route? And service?

Thank you again for taking the time to share this report!

Bon Voyage,

AirAfreak  
Korean Air | Excellence in Flight.

Thai744
Topic Author

Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:19 am

Quoting j77w (Reply 11):

Quoting Thai744 (Reply 8):

I noticed while flying the same aircraft equipment on a SYD-CGK sector last year, the FA zigzagging back-and-forth through the cabin taking orders (even though the menus also referred so small and large "plates" - we were simply offered a choice of 'entrée' and 'main'). Given that:

- I was seated in row 4
- When seeing the FA commence taking preferences from a guy in 1A, my seat mate and I debating how likely we were to get our choice given we were the 2nd last row - only to find him heading straight to *our* seats, where my seatmate was 2nd cab-off-the-rank followed by myself in 3rd place, after which the FA zipped up the front to row 2 on the other side to take the next order.
- The FA was referencing a list which seemed to 'dictate' the order in which customers were being seen

I thinking there is "order" to this "chaos" - namely, in order of QF/OW Status, followed by fare paying, then award redemptions, with 'op-ups' at the bottom of the ladder.

Ah - so what I was thinking was correct then. I guess it makes sense to do it this way.

Thai744
Topic Author

Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:21 am

Quoting flightsimboy (Reply 12):
I dream of that view, but always have left from some other runway out of the four departures I've had out of SYD

It's a great view. You probably left on 16R out of SYD the times you travelled. You won't really get any view of the city when you take off from this runway.

That's why when flying to SYD, if you sit on the LEFT of the aircraft and land on 16R you'll get a spectacular view of the city on a clear day.

I hope you get here again! You're always welcome!  

Thai744
Topic Author

Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:22 am

Quoting AirAfreak (Reply 14):
In terms of seat comfort, how would you compare TG with QF in J on this route? And service?

Having unfortunately never flown TG in J on this sector I can't compare. Maybe one day!

Flightsimboy

Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:38 pm

Quoting Thai744 (Reply 16):
It's a great view. You probably left on 16R out of SYD the times you travelled. You won't really get any view of the city when you take off from this runway.

Yes it was always 16R  .

That's why when flying to SYD, if you sit on the LEFT of the aircraft and land on 16R you'll get a spectacular view of the city on a clear day.

That I can attest to as having experienced. But it was early morning arriving on a NZ 744 from Los Angeles...in 2001

I hope you get here again! You're always welcome!  

Thank you. If I do, spotting at SYD by the beach is always 'mandatory" and to think I only experienced just once in 2008
LAX772LR - "Answer to goofy question:" in response to my question about the B737-MAX8 being grounded. 48 hours later all B737-MAX8 grounded worldwide. Go figure!!

laca773

Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:20 pm

Quoting Thai744 (Reply 6):
Hi Klinit,

Yes - it's a bit confusing!

They came around after take off and asked for us to choose one item from the "Small Plate" selection and one item from the "main plate" selection. Then they served these. This was the only "scheduled" meal service on the flight, however...
You could choose from any of the plates that happened to be left over at any time during the flight. It seemed to work on a basis of "you could have whatever's left over from the meal service", however they seemed to have most choices available and I didn't see a lot of people ordering a second meal during the flight.

In other words, there didn't seem to be any chance of them running out of food, however, if everyone in the cabin was hungry and ordered a second meal you might have a problem. We were fine, and we had 29/30 seats occupied.

Thanks for the informative TR, Thai744. It was a nice read, and your photos do the majority of the talking as you say, perfectly.

For a nine our flight, it would seem this flight would be catered, Lunch, and snack, or high tea service? Perhaps, this is one of the "enhancements" QF is doing to save money? Perhaps they don't publish or schedule it a full, and light meal because of the type of menu they now have. If it was a red eye, I wonder if it's a light meal/snack, and breakfast prior to arrival?

Since it is a longhaul international flight, did they hand out the Jack, and Kate Spade Amenity Kits?

Regards,
LACA773

RyanairGuru

Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:47 am

Thanks for the great trip report, I really enjoyed reading it  

Overall it sounds like you had a good flight with QF, although it sounds like there is still some confusion about the J catering.

Quoting dirktraveller (Reply 3):
Nice touch! Usually lounges are very much concentrated on meeting the needs of business travellers, so nice to see that QF is being family-friendly too with their lounges.

You have to wonder if those two things go hand in hand? If you shunt the kids into one corner then they're not annoying the business travellers. It's a good set-up IMHO.

Quoting laca773 (Reply 19):
erhaps, this is one of the "enhancements" QF is doing to save money?

Believe it or not, this was an upgrade to catering. They replaced the "normal" J meals with menus from Rockpool, which is one of the finest restaurants in Syndey, a real top-end establishment, owned by a celebrity chef (I certainly haven't eaten there!)

As this report suggests, the execution hasn't been flawless. Along with upgraded menus, a key feature of the new dining experience in J is flexibility. Unfortunately the flight attendants seem to be struggling with this, although it appears to be improving. Whether that's laziness because - in theory - the dining concept is 100% "on demand" and that involves a lot more work, or whether it is because they are genuinely struggling, I don't know. The biggest issue, IMHO, is communication. The FAs should more proactively explain that anyone can have whatever they want of the menu at any time.

Quoting laca773 (Reply 19):
erhaps they don't publish or schedule it a full, and light meal because of the type of menu they now have. If it was a red eye, I wonder if it's a light meal/snack, and breakfast prior to arrival?

In Y there is a hot meal followed by a refreshment/snack before landing, pretty much the same as offered on westbound TATL flights.

On the return there is a meal after departure and continental breakfast prior to landing (in both Y and J) which, again, is like eastbound TATL. That is area that QF does cut corners, IMHO, as other carriers (such as CX) offer a hot dinner and hot breakfast.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

airnewzealand

Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:45 pm

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 20):
As this report suggests, the execution hasn't been flawless. Along with upgraded menus, a key feature of the new dining experience in J is flexibility. Unfortunately the flight attendants seem to be struggling with this, although it appears to be improving. Whether that's laziness because - in theory - the dining concept is 100% "on demand" and that involves a lot more work, or whether it is because they are genuinely struggling, I don't know. The biggest issue, IMHO, is communication. The FAs should more proactively explain that anyone can have whatever they want of the menu at any time.

Hey Mate,

The issue with the new service concept is often over looked and not thought of by passengers (and to an extent the service teams on the ground)...this is Oven Space/bench space. As each meal has to be cooked for a certain amount of time (varies depending on dish), each protein is packed in '4's and each accompainment has differing times, space is at an absolute premium. Therefore it is impossible (and i do mean impossible) to have such flexibility for every passenger to eat when they want unless they let us know a time frame (platinums are good at this). This is why you see crew offering the 'usual' entree/main/dessert after takeoff.

The concept as a whole is great and it works well in other areas for example, due to the availability of many meals which do not get cooked over the course of the flight, this offers passengers choice later on instead of the crew cooking everything and having wastage (throw) remaining food out. However, the other area is sandwiches/burgers/hot snacks have been removed in mass and 'added' to the main menu item.

As with anything, it takes time to iron out a new concept but i can say do not expect the 'flexibility' the new service concept promised.

Hope that helps...

PS: Great report.

RyanairGuru

Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:35 am

Quoting airnewzealand (Reply 21):
this is Oven Space/bench space

Thank you very much for your insight. That really explains it, and it's good to hear it from the horses mouth  

Please don't take offence at me questioning the "laziness" of the FAs, QF FAs are among the best out there IMHO and I have a huge amount of respect for them. It's just I was trying to come up with theories without knowing the operational realities.

Quoting airnewzealand (Reply 21):
i can say do not expect the 'flexibility' the new service concept promised.

What you raise is very interesting, and perhaps points to a problem higher up in not thinking through how this would work in reality.

Once again, thank you for your help.
Worked Hard, Flew Right