Ryanair!!!
Topic Author

A Migrant's Tale - Its Malaysian Business! SIN-MEL

Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:40 pm

Where do I even begin to describe how I am feeling at the moment? For those of you who have been following my "adventures" leading up to this day, you know a migration of some sorts was in the works. Adelaide was the eventual destination for this one-way ticket. However, I had shipped my personal belongings with another friend who was coincidentally moving back to Melbourne 2 weeks before my departure. Just as well, I could do with a holiday before my arrival in Adelaide to calm my nerves - and BOY did I need it.

Leading up to D-day, the stress of relocation was eating me up from inside. Besides little panic attacks and sudden cold feet, there were the acute sense of nostalgia and the weary farewell lunches / dinners lined up every single day leading up to my flight. Every meet up with friends / family reminded me the cold hard truth that I was finally leaving. It was wearing me down trying to explain to them again and again how hard it is to relocate and the stress associated with it. With every meet up was the same. Everyone thought of Australia as a holiday destination and I was just going for an extended vacation.

In the end, I gave up and just smiled through it and said I was alright and excited to leave on this adventure. I didn't blame them, not everyone can relate to these sort of feelings unless you have gone through it.

And then, the final farewell dinner. I didn't want it to end. After that I drove and drove along the dark and relatively empty streets... These familiar sights I would be leaving behind. I even did something I seldom do, go out to the bars. And hey, some friends were there. But even THEY had to go home at some point. I was left alone again driving around in circles. I finally laid my head on fluffy pillows at 4am in a fultile attempt for some slumber - which was fleeting at best.

DEPARTURE DAY

24 Jan 2014

Singapore Changi Airport - Kuala Lumpur International Airport
Malaysia Airlines Bhd
MH 608 (9M-FFA)
Boeing 737-8Q8
1725H - 1855H
1hr 30min

Drove my car one final time to the airport where my dad would be there to pick it up. This sense of dread within (can't think of a better description) was making tear up as I journeyed down the tree-lined expressway. My significant other who was coming in from Malaysia would meet me at the Terminal 2 and together we would fly to Melbourne.

I had so much baggage... almost 70kgs worth. Thus, the decision to splurge on a one way JCL ticket. With the two of us combined, at least we had an 80kg allowance.

There was nothing pompous about the Business Class check in with MH. Gone are the days where they laid out a carpet to welcome you. Mum and dad were there, so were two other friends whom I didn't manage to squeeze in a farewell meal with. As much as I was emotional about leaving my homeland, last thing I needed was drama at the airport. I was pretty specific in my instructions for those who wanted to turn up, NO TEARS.

Mum was definitely holding it back by constantly cracking jokes and laughing while dad played along. My two other friends weren't faring too well. It is one thing for girls to break down and cry at my departure (as the girls at work did) but to see my friends, who are what I term straight beer swagging men - so sombre, it really blew me away. I was touched by their gesture.

All too soon, it was hasty goodbyes and awkward hugs. Mum walked away very quickly and didn't look back and dad almost had to run after her. In fact we didn't even say goodbye at the entrance to airside, rather it was outside Starbucks which is a distance away.

I was in no mood to shop so thank God for lounge access. Malaysia Airlines still operates their own out of Changi. From the days I remember flying them on a regular basis, the location has shifted to one of a larger area. Basic warm food selection plus some wilted looking salad, together with bite sized savoury munchies were all laid out at a buffet corner. I'd say the selection wasn't all that bad.

Satay was a must have. There were other "heavier" choices like curry chicken and what have you but figured we would be fed pretty well on the flight later. Thus, I didn't gorge.

Lounge Godess sauntered in to annouce the impending departure from gate F32. Well, here I go. Awaiting us was a 737 which had not yet received the MH makeover. Come to think about it, my two sectors were on the "old" MH. Boarding was already in process when we entered the holding area.

Passengers jammed into the aerobridge and slowly entered the aircraft.

Door 1L stood Amit (dashing indian guy) and Bee Bee (with a name like that, you know there's a story waiting) in her kebaya.

Seats in the cabin were definitely non-standard MH. Plush dark blue upholstery seats, not too bad. YCL looked like it has black leather seats. Must be one of their leased planes. Amit came around to offer us drinks from a tray while YCL pax were still milling past. Apple or orange juice, no guava. Hmm... how non-MH.

Just before the doors close, Amit took our meal orders.

"Gentlemen, after take off we will be serving meals. Two choices - veg pie or salmon pie?"

He went from seat to seat and memorised every order without even penning it down which I felt was rather impressive. Cabin was about 3/4 full from what I could tell. Bee Bee meanwhile was still at the door half-smiling at last few pax who were coming in.

Pushback. Changi was busy. We were prevented from pushing back because the line for take off was too crowded. Eventually we did but we were told approach into KUL was going to be a long affair due to airspace congestion.

SIN-KUL is an extremely short sector. We are normally cruising only for 20-25mins. Starched linens were hurriedly flapped in our faces by Bee Bee then onto our table. She returned with the meal trays which contained a hot entree (not bad, MH!) and a small bowl of dessert. Smiles were generous throughout.

After the initial outburst of activity, it was all calm again in the cabin as we cruised along.

Other half and I then got into a little debate as to what the mysterious looking dessert was. It was obviously some sort of crumble but we didn't know what kind. Bee Bee happened to be walking by so just asked her.

"Erm, dunno. Wait ah..." and she disappeared into the fore galley.

Amit came by with coffee and offered us some in a mug while letting us know the dessert was a "strudel". We knew that was nonsense but didn't argue.

Now we had coffee mugs, but no stirrer. Bee Bee walked passed again. We signalled her for some of the usual stuff which normally accompanies coffee...

"Orh, ok..." again she disappeared to the front galley and came back with two stirrers and plonked it into our mugs.

"We need sugar as well?"
"Oh ya, wait ah..."

Sigh, sloppy for a business class service - very sloppy. To think that this sector was once marketed as First Class.

Since this flight was far longer that normal, trays were eventually cleared very slowly and by the time we landed and docked - about 90mins have been clocked. It felt as long as a Jakarta flight!

Halfway out of the aerobridge, realised I had left my jacket hanging behind my seat. Ran back into the cabin with passengers still pouring out and with mystified looks from Amit and Bee Bee. I appeared at the door again with my jacket...

"Aiyo, I thought you left it for him! Haha..." Bee Bee amuses while nudging Amit.
Welcome to my starry one world alliance, a team in the sky!

Ryanair!!!
Topic Author

RE: A Migrant's Tale - Its Malaysian Business! SIN-MEL

Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:47 pm

TRANSIT IN KUL

I didn't mind the 5 hour transit because I was looking forward to the Satellite Golden Lounge. Its been yonks since I've last seen it and felt great to be re-visiting after 10 years. It was recently renovated and thankfully this trip was timed so that I could see the complete product after the works were done.

First things first at the lounge, DINNER! Buffet didn't dissapoint. It was extensive with numerous hot mains to choose from. There was also a noodle bar and a sandwich corner for those who didn't feel like the buffet.

We arrived at a good time because as the evening wore on, the lounge became packed to the brim. Other passengers walked in and had no where to sit. Lounge attendants were on hand to usher these lost folks about trying to sit them with other pax who had empty seats. Otherwise, what if the lounge becomes too full, do they go to other One World lounges? Cathay Pacific comes to mind. They are just around the corner.

No matter how shitty the airline is being managed, I have to say their flagship lounge in KUL remains one of my favourites till this day. Now with the renovations complete, it is even more so.

Ryanair!!!
Topic Author

Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:51 pm

Kuala Lumpur International Airport - Melbourne International Airport
Malaysia Airlines Bhd
MH 149
Boeing 777-2H6ER (9M-MRC)
2325H - 1030H
7hr 30min

Once again, our flight was afflicted with the very common ailment of "gatechangetitis" - as it seems to be with a lot of MH flights at KUL. I wonder why? Is the airport really THAT busy to warrant this? Anyway, we were assigned to C3 from the original C17 - which suited us fine as the gate was just beneath Golden Lounge.

Pardon the reflection, there was no way I could get a proper shot of the aircraft!

Awaiting us at the gate was a near-17 year old workhorse of the airline's fleet.

We were channeled towards the first finger of the aerobridge and the IFS was on had to greet us at Door 1L. A grey haired individual (Razak) who obviously loved his job, greeted us by our names and warmly ushered us in. Mood lighting was set to a tinge of blue in the fore cabin, whereas YCL was not worthy enough and had the normal soft white fluorescent.

MH's 777 JCL has a strange looking small cabin aft of the galley at Door 2. Before these shell seats were installed, there were two rows of recliners fitted in there. Now the present seat construction takes up a lot of space which only allows for one row. Feels a little exclusive, really.

It was difficult to get service going because YCL pax were filing by. So in a way, the crew was forgiven by not asking me for the jacket. Instead, I walked up to the galley and asked for it to be hung.

"Of course, Mr Soh."

Greeted by name too, not bad for a start.

Missing pax meant that pushback was delayed. Our crew serving us for tonight made themselves known. Stewardess Eevon and steward Randy. Drinks and hot towels were given as standard and I had guava.

Doors closed - pushback.

By now, my mind was a knot. This was really happening. At the end of this flight, I would be arriving in my new home - AUSTRALIA. I felt like crying, but no tears were flowing for this bitch. Therefore, I had no idea which runway we were taxiing towards. For once, I wished for the engines to explode and we could somehow delay this flight.

As soon as it was possible, almost everyone extended their seats and went to sleep. Looks like no one was eating supper.

But no - we must have taken off towards the north because we made a turn to fly over the airport. Past 10000 ft, Eevon appeared to draw the curtains between us and the cheap seats behind. At the same time, she stopped by our row...

"Gentlemen, will you be joining us for dinner tonight?"

As a cruel joke, just as dinner linens were laid out, the bright orange glow that is Singapore drifted past outside my window. My home... Goodbye. Looking at Singapore also signalled the start of meal service.

Leaving Johor state to overfly Singapore, my final glimpse... a final goodbye...

Ryanair!!!
Topic Author

Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:56 pm

It started with a round of drinks with peanuts. Headsets and a TUMI amenity pack was also given out.

Eevon and Randy soon appeared together pushing a trolley of what HAS to be the highlight of any MAS Business Class flight, the satay service which was served from a common trolley.

With a soothing smile Eevon offered, "So, satay. Chicken, beef or both?"

I chose to only have chicken and she gave me a generous plop of peanut sauce. Pity those with a nut allergy, you have no idea what you are missing. The satay didn't disappoint. Charcoal grilled to perfection. All plump and greasy, finger licking good. Rolled up hot towels were put on the side with drinks accompanying it. I could have easily taken seconds but no, plates were cleared to commence the actual dinner service.

Main dinner service trays were distributed individually by hand directly from the galley. It contained a pair of cheap looking plastic salt/pepper shaker, fruit bowl, the appetiser and an empty plate.

Randy came by with an extensive bread basket and I went for garlic bread.

Appetiser was so so. On the menu, it said "wasabi prawn with grilled scallops". The prawn wasn't wasabi-ed and neither were the scallops grilled. Accompanying the appetiser were two leaves of lettuce, a supermodel's daily diet! However, the main was absolutely mouthwatering! I went for the lamb shank and boy I was glad I did. Other half went for the book-the-cook option and had a steak which was barely passable and frankly looked as sad as a floppy lump of lard.

The humble crumble made another appearance with a morbid CSI worthy trail of evidence, perhaps an inspiration from Halloween.

I passed on dessert which was - hey, what do you know?... The same mysterious "strudel" we had on the earlier flight. But now, we had a menu to inform us that it was in fact an apple & blueberry crumble. Other half went for it though. I'm just not a dessert person unless it is chocolate.

Trying to get comfy after dinner.

Ryanair!!!
Topic Author

Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:01 pm

As the meal trays were being cleared, I noticed the cabin becoming progressively darker. Oh yes, they were preparing for us to sleep. Randy came around asking for the window shades to be lowered. The fore cabin was now dark except for a peek of blue tinge from edges of the ceiling, kinda reminds me of a strip club.

Notice the aisle pax, how "wild" her hair has become as she enjoyed her slumber epic glacial slide down the angled flat bed! Weeee.....

Us in cabin aft of the galley also had our lighting set similarly. Unfortunately, meal service was still in full force behind the bulkhead in economy class. Lights were streaming through the gaps so it was anything but dark. As if we needed it, a toddler started yelling at the back even the best of noise cancelling headsets won't be able to help. It was so loud Eevon peeked out from the galley, then looked at us both and said "Looks like you guys will have a screamer tonight."...

Hahahaha...

Evidently, we weren't the only ones trying to shield ourselves from the screaming toddler.

Damn, these seats has to be some of the most uncomfortable JCL seats I've ever come across. Padding was almost gone, not surprising seeing how the seat must have serviced countless of bums. Extending the seat into numerous configurations would produce a loud whirring not much different from when flaps are extending on this plane.

Actual width of the seat didn't feel that different from a YCL one. Extending it into full flat sleep mode is perhaps not suitable for everyone. Trying to sleep in it was almost impossible because with every turn, I would inevitably end up slightly lower. Yes, I was sliding down. The female passenger across the aisle was in such deep slumber she didn't realise her t-shirt had hiked so far up exposing her skin accompanied very glamourously by the top of her panties.

My pants was riding up and back of my shirt becoming untucked. I was getting annoyed and soon gave up on trying to snooze. I readjusted the configuration into a "lounge mode" which was slightly better. I must conclude the older cradle recliners are far more comfortable!

Saving grace was probably the pillow and duvet which the airline provided. They were nice to snuggle and cuddle.

PTVs extended from the armrests, how 1990s!

Then night wore on very slowly. After the meal service was completed, we were just approaching Java. Eevon dropped by with bottled water in case we got thirsty. Sleeping was out of the question and my back slowly started to become sore. Fleeting naps came and went so I stood up and walked about the dark cabin. By now, even YCL was dark.

I chanced upon the crew in the galley and decided to ask Randy for a favour. As it was the other half's birthday, I asked if he could slip a card signed by the crew on his breakfast tray later.

"I'll check with my supervisor and let you know ok?", he quietly replied.

I seldom get into PTV selection there days, but I had the equipment pulled out and let the airshow run, as usual. I see to get more enjoyment watching the progress of flight on screen rather than a movie.

MH's unrecogniseable network illustration on the airline magazine.

I bet someone had fun putting together this orgy of nonsensical garble. So, where does MH fly to in Europe again?

Somewhere above the dark Australian outback, I decided to get up and brush my teeth before it became a mad rush for the lavs. Drawing the curtains I almost walked into the IFS in the galley who remarked rather loudly "We have to stop meeting like this!"...

Who doesn't love anyone with a sense of humour?

Ryanair!!!
Topic Author

Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:08 pm

Hmm... I thought I saw a little bright patch on the window shade. Sunrise... A dawn of a new day high above the Aussie outback has to be one of the world's most beautiful airborne scenery you can ask for. I was looking forward to the awesome view of mother nature.

Window was badly scratched, making photography really challenging.

By now, as the sun got higher up into the horizon, the cabin began to stir. We were some 2 hours away from our destination. Eevon and Randy alternated between two aisles to dish out the breakfast trays. It was a very simple affair with a fruit bowl and two open face sandwiches. It wasn't mouthwatering. If fact, I thought the sandwiches were rather bland.

Oh hello, retro looking thing!

Randy came by with the drinks trolley and gave us coffee in mugs. Sugar/milk was added as requested. No Bee Bee happenings here!

My other half's tray didn't have the mentioned surprise birthday card I asked for. Oh well, perhaps it wasn't meant to be.

It was a quick meal and trays were cleared in no time. Most of us kept the mugs with a refill. Not that the coffee was any good, but I needed a pick-me-up. Truth be told, the coffee tasted like dishwater. Urgh!

Immigration disembarkation forms were also handed out at this time. As with flights into Australia, a quarantine video played and gave us tips how not to end up on an episode of Border Patrol.

Other half meanwhile took this chance to disappear into the lav next to the galley. I thought he was gone for quite a while... After what seemed like an eternity, he returned with two bottles of bubbly.

"OMG, you told them it was my birthday?"

Well, surprise babe!

I immediately got up and went into the galley to say my thanks...

"Wow guys, all I wanted was a card! Really, thanks for the bottles!"
"Aiya, card for what? You can't drink a card, can you? Hahahah... Enjoy!" quipped Eevon

Australian disembarkation forms were distributed after trays were cleared.

This got to me, really a poignant moment which made me stop for a bit.

All too soon, arrival announcement started and the nose dipped downwards to signal an inevitable arrival. It seemed cloudy during the descent and frankly, looked more like winter than summer. I honestly didn't want this flight to end. Can we turn around and head back to KL?

Approach was from the north and straight in with very little turns.

Without much fanfare, we touched down at Melbourne International Airport. Finally docked at what I thought was a very busy looking terminal building. Busy indeed it was! MH149 joined in the melee that was created by two other arriving flights from Guangzhou (CZ) and Shanghai (MU). The airport keeps adding extensions and finger piers to service more aircraft but what is the point when you do not upgrade your arrivals where passengers congregate?

Sigh... can I follow you home, please?

Customs officers were on hand to bark orders to channel people to the appropriate lanes. Definitely a bottleneck scenario. When you need to deploy staff to yell out instructions, it means your signage is BAD.

3 widebody planeloads worth of passengers also meant a lenghty time at immigration and customs.

Baggage was already churning about the carousel so I am unsure if the priority tags worked. A single line for customs clearance snaked around the primeter and around one baggage carousel. Once again, testament that this airport is not equipped to handle an influx of widebody international arrivals.

I declared a lot of stuff. In fact, I was willing to go through my mountain of luggage with the officer. Perhaps seeing the amount of work involved in sifting through my junk, I was waved through.

Bumped into Eevon at the crew again at the public arrivals area, bid our goodbyes while she took that opportunity to lash out at Melbourne's airport.

"Lines are madness!"

I was now officially on my new home turf.

JOURNEYS ARE MADE BY THE PEOPLE YOU TRAVEL WITH. That is MH's latest tagline. While it is a mouthful, my situation could not have been more apt for this tagline to make so much sense. My mind was in a million and one places and frankly I wasn't in the best of moods. I wasn't going for a holiday, I was uprooting and relocating! Still, Eevon and her team did their best with lacklustre hardware. This is why the crew is 5 star.

For Amit and Bee Bee, I don't know what to say. They ran the premier cabin like it was a mom and pop general store. Perhaps they were trying to go for an informal feel, the laid back "kampung" vibe. Then maybe they overdid it with sloppy delivery.

Hardware in both instance were very behind competition. The 737 had a non-standard product. If I were on an true blue MH 737-800, all the bells and whistles would have been dished out. The product on the 777-200 is at least a decade old. And it felt so. A lot of flak was given for this me-too enhancement back then but the upgrade was needed seeing how cradle recliners were becoming passe. Once again, MH has failed to keep up with the times as far as the 777s are concerned. I understand they are now in the process of reviewing its replacement but that would mean this outdated product will continue to be used. Not very good for the airline's standing.

SETTLING DOWN IN ADELAIDE

After doing the necessary in Melbourne, other half and I went on a two-day road trip along the Great Ocean Road towards Adelaide. It allowed me time to reflect and soak in this experience. GOSH, I AM MIGRATING TO ANOTHER COUNTRY!

There are really no words to describe this feeling. It is one of excitement, terror and apprehension all rolled into one giant ball of yarn. I have since settled into a very nice suburb named Norwood which is lined with trendy cafes and restaurants. Bought a nice little SUV to get around, and as cliche as this sounds - started part time work as a waiter in a Chinese restaurant to pass time while searching for a full time job.

I was terribly homesick for the first week but I seemed to have gotten over it very quickly. As of now, I am living one of the biggest adventure of my life!

Ryanair!!!
Topic Author

Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:54 pm

Some non-aviation photos to share...

My journey as a migrant commenced with getting my first ever speeding ticket just before the state border between Victoria and South Australia.

I arrived during a period where a heatwave was supposedly prolonged. It gave us soaring daytime temperatures in the mid 40s giving Adelaide the unenviable label of being the hottest city on the planet.

Didn't waste time, got myself a set of wheels on the first day when I arrived in Adelaide.

I've since settled down in a quaint little house in the suburb of Norwood.

Am I loving it so far? YOU BET!

Meanwhile, wish me all the best as I try to crack the corporate scene here.

Cheers
Ryan

richcandy

Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:28 pm

As always thanks for the trip report.

Not sure about MH business they don't look all that great.

Good luck in your new home!

Alex

Thai744

Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:52 am

Hey Ryanair!

Great trip report - wow! Looks JUST like when I flew J on MH about 14 years ago... LOL  

Nothing's really changed. Their A380's apart, they really have been left behind SQ, EK, QR and even TG to a certain degree.

However, the crew are usually really friendly on MH and it looks like you got a good batch - especially on the longer leg.

A pity Randy and Bee Bee didn't work together - it would have been like a flying porn movie set with names like that! LOL.

Anyway, welcome to Australia! We're very happy to have you here and welcome you with open arms!
I live in Sydney now, but I'm from Adelaide originally - from Norwood as well as it happens. A great little spot - a real "village-like" vibe in Norwood, so you've done well! Do all your shopping for food at The Central Market in the city - it's the best fresh market not just in Adelaide, but in Australia! It's really great.

I get to Adelaide sometimes so when I come down next we can meet up and I'll take you to this really great little Singaporean/Malay restaurant I know down there.  

All the best and thanks for taking the time to write the report - interesting and entertaining reading!

Thai744.

Burj

Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:08 am

Wow....thanks for taking us a long on your journey!

I've actually been told that on those angle lie flats that a good strategy is to put them fully flat...turn on your side...and then reverse them out of completely lie flat mode... If you are lucky you can work it so the break in the surface cradles your hip and then keeps you from sliding.....

Good luck in the new chapter in your life!

Singapore 777

Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:20 pm

Hi Ryan

Welcome to Australia! Hope that you are settling in well so far and that your new home is treating you well...

Looks like you actually had a fairly decent trip down south on MH, although the SIN-KUL connecting leg was unexciting. I can relate to not being able to sleep properly on some of the first generation bed-seats, although I wonder if some of that is just due to either the air conditioning not being set to the right temperature or that the blankets are too thick or thin (although it doesn't look like that was the case with you as you mentioned that you were comfortable tucked in).

I was quite surprised to see that MH operated the B772 to MEL. I was under the impression that they switched to an all-A330 operation to Australia some time back -- with the exception of the new flight to SYD, which is a B772. A pity you didn't get to try the new seats on the A330s (although I guess you wouldn't be in the mood to enjoy the trip over here anyway).

All the best for your future! If you ever come over to SYD drop me a message and I will be more than happy to show you around.

jwhite9185

Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:57 pm

Hi there, Nice report.

I read with interest as I'll be taking the same route in April - although I'm stopping in KUL for the night and taking the A333 service out to MEL in the morning.

Good to see MH have a lounge in SIN, although no doubt theres more than a few OneWorld lounges I can also use during my 4 Hour stop over.

The Golden Lounge refurb looks decent enough - again, I'm looking forward to seeing it for myself. As I was only in the lounge in September, I should get a good comparison between old and new.
@mytripreport

CdnCactus

Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:56 pm

It's Ryanair!!!

Quoting Ryanair!!! (Thread starter):
I had so much baggage... almost 70kgs worth. Thus, the decision to splurge on a one way JCL ticket. With the two of us combined, at least we had an 80kg allowance.

You should've seen the mountain of luggage our family had when we migrated back in the 80's. That was also when there were no real restrictions on the physical dimension of the said luggage. No wonder people hid bodies in them.

Other half and I then got into a little debate as to what the mysterious looking dessert was. It was obviously some sort of crumble but we didn't know what kind.

It's a crumble when it looks crumbly. There.

Quoting Ryanair!!! (Reply 1):
I wished for the engines to explode and we could somehow delay this flight.

How about a nice overflowing/non-functioning toilet in the loo instead? That enough to cancel the flight?

Quoting Ryanair!!! (Reply 2):
Leaving Johor state to overfly Singapore, my final glimpse... a final goodbye...

You can always visit...but...honestly, the feel becomes different the longer you live in your new Motherland. Until finally you feel like a foreigner visiting the land of your ancestors and birth. All right that's just me as I left when I was very young. Disregard.

Quoting Ryanair!!! (Reply 3):
Notice the aisle pax, how "wild" her hair has become as she enjoyed her slumber epic glacial slide down the angled flat bed! Weeee.....

Seriously, who thought angled flat seat would be comfortable for sleeping to begin with? It's a flat angled surface. Things slide down.

Quoting Ryanair!!! (Reply 5):
"Aiya, card for what? You can't drink a card, can you? Hahahah... Enjoy!" quipped Eevon

You can't eat flowers, either. Good call from the crew.

3 widebody planeloads worth of passengers also meant a lenghty time at immigration and customs.

Welcome to Melbourne in Chinese? Is Australia a major destination for China folks? I had no idea.

I was terribly homesick for the first week but I seemed to have gotten over it very quickly. As of now, I am living one of the biggest adventure of my life!

You will do just fine. It's amazing how fast we can adjust when we walk into situations with our eyes wide open and prepared.

Quoting Ryanair!!! (Reply 6):
Meanwhile, wish me all the best as I try to crack the corporate scene here.

All the best wishes sent. However, glad I'm not at Adelaide because 40+ weather sounds like hell to me    .

vieri

Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:55 pm

Another masterpiece!

Reading it was bringing me to tears! It reminded of exactly 12 years to the day when I left home for university in Scotland!
As much as i wanted to be excited, the thought of moving away and almost certainly staying on to work brought up those same emotions. The tears started when i had to say goodbye to the family pet dog, and it continued at the departure gates with a big entourage of family and friends!
I didnt have the small of comfort of J either, was packed into the middle of a KLM 747-400 combi, together with a surly crew, who did help us by supplying double shots of bourbon to keep me and other classmates well booozed to numb the pain.
I am glad to see you had a wonderful crew going down to Australia, it must be difficult for crew to maintain high standards when they see an airline which has runned itself to the ground all these years. Lets hope Oneworld and the partners can give them guidance and inspiration to rebuild the airline.
Those 777s have worked hard for MH, I remembered when 1 did a then world record flight for longest distance flown for a commercial jet, I am sure it was from Boeing airfield all the way to SZB in Subang.
It was outfitted with a business centre, press guys were filling reports inflight to the newspapers, none of this wifi and twitter nonsense then!
i do hope they get some 777-300ERs, it would look amazing in the old grey and white colours, though i suspect they will end up with more A330s.
Looking forward to more of your travels in aussieland.

Ryanair!!!
Topic Author

Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:04 am

Hello all,

thanks for stopping by...

Quoting richcandy (Reply 7):

As always thanks for the trip report.

Not sure about MH business they don't look all that great.

Good luck in your new home!

MH JCL in this instance was a little passe. It was like a mish-mash of old and new. Old hardware, most of the catering serviceware was new but a few with the old branding slipped through the cracks. MH is not an airline known for branding consistency!

Quoting Thai744 (Reply 8):
Nothing's really changed. Their A380's apart, they really have been left behind SQ, EK, QR and even TG to a certain degree.

Agree 100%. They always seems to be doing catch up. Every enhancement they come up with, it is nothing earth shattering. Really sad to see an airline progress like that. And yet, I still find myself being a closet apologist as I used to be a frequent flyer with them a lifetime ago.

I live in Sydney now, but I'm from Adelaide originally - from Norwood as well as it happens. A great little spot - a real "village-like" vibe in Norwood, so you've done well! Do all your shopping for food at The Central Market in the city - it's the best fresh market not just in Adelaide, but in Australia! It's really great.

Far out! What are the odds huh? It seems I was meant and destined for Norwood. Before I found this room I am renting, I had dinner at a cafe nearby as someone suggested I check out Norwood. I thought it had a good feel. Amenities so available, cafes, restaurants, supermarkets, gym.... And then I saw an ad the next day. Came, saw, grabbed! Coincidentally, I now live within a minute walk from that very cafe. So yes, I am right by The Parade - but tucked away quietly on the side street. PERFECT!

As for groceries... I discovered FOODLAND. Bad idea... Women go crazy shopping for clothes? I go bonkers at Aussie supermarkets. I cook, you see. Coming from Singapore where everything we have is imported except for the air we breathe, I wet myself seeing how cheap local produce is at Foodland. I would go to Central Market on occasion, but not often. I have no real reason to leave Norwood because I can walk to wherever I need to for my errands. But I agree, Central market is another place my eyes go wild. Cheese, fruits, bakery... and Coffee... OMG coffee... Don't even get me started on my daily addiction to long blacks! (pun intended!!!)

I am digressing...

I get to Adelaide sometimes so when I come down next we can meet up and I'll take you to this really great little Singaporean/Malay restaurant I know down there.

Doesn't happen to be Pondok Bali, or Raffles... is it? I have had numerous recommendations already so yeah, contact me when you're next in Adelaide. As you can tell by now, I am an avid foodie. That's why I love Adelaide (well, Australia in general), lots of awesome restaurants and eateries to discover.

Quoting burj (Reply 9):
I've actually been told that on those angle lie flats that a good strategy is to put them fully flat...turn on your side...and then reverse them out of completely lie flat mode... If you are lucky you can work it so the break in the surface cradles your hip and then keeps you from sliding.....

I have no idea what you just said! LOL!!!! But no, the breaks in surface didn't stop me from sliding.

Quoting Singapore 777 (Reply 10):
I can relate to not being able to sleep properly on some of the first generation bed-seats, although I wonder if some of that is just due to either the air conditioning not being set to the right temperature or that the blankets are too thick or thin (although it doesn't look like that was the case with you as you mentioned that you were comfortable tucked in).

There was nothing wrong with the air con. Its the "bed" itself. Urgh, truly a disaster.

I was quite surprised to see that MH operated the B772 to MEL. I was under the impression that they switched to an all-A330 operation to Australia some time back

For this period, MEL flights are operated by 772s, much to my disappointment. It will revert to 333 in March. When I leave ADL for my first trip back home for a holiday, I do intend to check out the JCL on MH's 333.

All the best for your future! If you ever come over to SYD drop me a message and I will be more than happy to show you around.

Sydney used to be an annual pilgrimage for me between 1997-2004. Somehow I stopped going there because I found it increasingly expensive. Nevertheless, it is worth a re-visit now that I am practically in the neighbourhood! Are you working there?

Quoting jwhite9185 (Reply 11):
The Golden Lounge refurb looks decent enough - again, I'm looking forward to seeing it for myself. As I was only in the lounge in September, I should get a good comparison between old and new.

The renovation was long overdue, trust me. You will like the new Golden Lounge. I did!

Quoting CdnCactus (Reply 12):
You can always visit...but...honestly, the feel becomes different the longer you live in your new Motherland. Until finally you feel like a foreigner visiting the land of your ancestors and birth. All right that's just me as I left when I was very young. Disregard.

Hahaha, I was already feeling strange and couldn't wait to leave when I was still in Singapore. Now I find myself missing the food. Oh and my loved ones...

You can't eat flowers, either. Good call from the crew.

Actually, you can. I have a friend who operates a restaurant which inculcates flowers into ingredients. It is a very interesting concept and you need a serious case of mind over body to overcome your apprehensions. Its worked pretty well for him for many years already and people keep going back!

Welcome to Melbourne in Chinese? Is Australia a major destination for China folks? I had no idea.

Not just Australia, but MANY other countries as well. In the 80s we had Japanese, 90s Koreans took to the stage and now... the Chinese. This welcome mat was just an indication of rising Chinese power and affluence.

All the best wishes sent. However, glad I'm not at Adelaide because 40+ weather sounds like hell to me    .

Its actually cooled down to a point where I need to turn on my heater. LOL... Crazy right? This is summer!

Quoting vieri (Reply 13):
As much as i wanted to be excited, the thought of moving away and almost certainly staying on to work brought up those same emotions. The tears started when i had to say goodbye to the family pet dog, and it continued at the departure gates with a big entourage of family and friends!

Flasbacks... I steadfastly refused to breakdown. I kept taking deep breadths because I knew once I started crying, like gag reflex everyone around me would follow suit. I didn't want that, which was why my specific request for "no tears" at my send off. And I also know me, once I start crying, it would take a while for me to stop. Imagine me walking to the plane in tears?! No no no...

I remembered when 1 did a then world record flight for longest distance flown for a commercial jet, I am sure it was from Boeing airfield all the way to SZB in Subang.

Ah yes, who can forget that delivery flight?

i do hope they get some 777-300ERs, it would look amazing in the old grey and white colours, though i suspect they will end up with more A330s.

Somehow, I doubt the 77W will ever see MH's colours. They have got too much capacity with the A380 as it is. Remaining routes do not warrant a 77W so we'll probably see them go towards the A350 / 787 route. But as usual, it will take them another decade to decide so by the time they do, the world would have moved on to another model variant already.

Looking forward to more of your travels in aussieland.

Haha... doubt they will be as exciting as the Asian carriers!

Thanks people for all the well wishes!

Ryan

Flightsimboy

Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:25 am

Welcome to your new country, and all the best!!

I was left alone again driving around in circles

Wow you must have really been lost mentally at that time with the arriving move soon!!

He went from seat to seat and memorised every order without even penning it down which I felt was rather impressive.

I wonder what method he used to remember....Picture you as one of the items lol

Smiles were generous throughout.

That is MH indeed. Nothing by the book, just service from the heart!!

Once again, our flight was afflicted with the very common ailment of "gatechangetitis"

Awaiting us at the gate was a near-17 year old workhorse of the airline's fleet.

Ah the true super rangers, that took me nonstop EWR-DXB-EWR long before EK could even dream about it!!

As a cruel joke, just as dinner linens were laid out, the bright orange glow that is Singapore drifted past outside my window.

It's even worse when you lift out of the city, your face pressed against the glass and then turning around to see it before it disappears into the darkness.

Quoting Ryanair!!! (Reply 3):
Accompanying the appetiser were two leaves of lettuce, a supermodel's daily diet!

Quoting Ryanair!!! (Reply 4):
As if we needed it, a toddler started yelling at the back even the best of noise cancelling headsets won't be able to help. It was so loud Eevon peeked out from the galley, then looked at us both and said "Looks like you guys will have a screamer tonight."...

Oh dear, little ones need to fly too....

Evidently, we weren't the only ones trying to shield ourselves from the screaming toddler.

That woman looks like she's ready to sock you for taking her pic!!

I thought he was gone for quite a while... After what seemed like an eternity, he returned with two bottles of bubbly.

"OMG, you told them it was my birthday?"

Well, surprise babe!

I immediately got up and went into the galley to say my thanks...

"Wow guys, all I wanted was a card! Really, thanks for the bottles!"

Very nice of them to do that!!

I honestly didn't want this flight to end. Can we turn around and head back to KL?

The pain of arriving into a whole new life

My journey as a migrant commenced with getting my first ever speeding ticket just before the state border between Victoria and South Australia.

Not good

I arrived during a period where a heatwave was supposedly prolonged. It gave us soaring daytime temperatures in the mid 40s giving Adelaide the unenviable label of being the hottest city on the planet.

There is heat and then there is the Australian sun!!! That sun literally burns your skin..Yikes
LAX772LR - "Answer to goofy question:" in response to my question about the B737-MAX8 being grounded. 48 hours later all B737-MAX8 grounded worldwide. Go figure!!

AirAfreak

Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:51 am

Hi Ryanair!!!

Thank you for another wonderfully detailed trip report! It's always a pleasure to read!

Good luck to you as you embark on this new chapter in your life. Three times in my life, I moved to a foreign country and three times I was nervous and a little freaked out. I am a creature of habit and enjoy familiarity and routine, so my best advice to you is give Melbourne at least a year. Be sure to go out and explore things alone and not always with your partner as it is important to remind yourself you are capable and confident in being self-sufficient and adventurous. If you do not explore a little of your new environment on your own, you will rely on your "crutch" and have small moments of "fear" in terms of meeting new people in various social settings. Also, you will find yourself yearning for frequent flights to SIN with SIA and not give the lovely city that is Melbourne a fair chance. Go and explore. Do everything and go everywhere. Never look back. No regrets. Even if you have a few drops of rain on your sunny day, remember, the sun will always come out tomorrow.  

And with all of this, the icing on the birthday cake was the friendly MHospitality exceeding your expectations with champagne versus a greeting card. Bravo to Malaysia Airlines System!!!!! An Experience Redefined!  

And who can forget satay!!!!!!!!! I am truly jealous of everyone having this satay as it seems consistently wondrous! I have never had this satay and have never flown with MH and this satay is now a mission in life! (I'm a foodie.)  

Cheers,

AirAfreak  
Korean Air | Excellence in Flight.

karan69

Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:35 am

Hi Ryan Air,

A great read as always,

That honestly felt like a blast from the past when it came to the whole MH experience

All the best with the migration

Karan

allrite

Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:40 am

Welcome at long last to Australia Ryan!!! About bloody time!  

Enjoy your locally elected representatives. I don't think you fit the conservative revolutionary model.  

It's when you board these kind of flights that you wish teleports had been invented to allow you to get to your destination without the struggle of maintaining a facade in a very public place for hours on end. Still wondering how you manage to consistently find MH staff with friendly personalities - still 1/8 for me.

Just borrowed a recipe book today from the local library on Singaporean Peranakan food which reminded me of the trip where we caught up in Singapore. If you ever visit Sydney we'll take you somewhere or cook up a meal to make your stomach homesick.

Good luck with finding a job. Hint: factory work is probably not a long term prospect in this country.
I like artificial banana essence!

dirktraveller

Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:31 pm

Hi Ryan,

Glad to see another trip report of yours, which is an enjoyable read as usual!
I wish you all the best in your new adventure in Australia!  

MH Business class looks fine despite the older B772 you were getting, although the B738 that took you to KUL does look seriously in need of refurbishment.

sloppy for a business class service - very sloppy.

Somehow I was under the impression that they are trying their best to be more "human" and less robotic on their service, but I guess as you said they overdone it and it really backfired.

Greeted by name too, not bad for a start.

You know that they're a great set of crew when they took the effort to welcome you by name!

but what is the point when you do not upgrade your arrivals where passengers congregate

That was my exact impression of MEL. With all the optimism of announcing more flights and being more connected to the world, yet there's no plan revealed to upgrade their arrival/departure terminal facilities. Not sure if it's a case of a planning not being think through or there were really limitations hindering improvement of this arrival facilities.

Once again, thanks for sharing this report!

Regards,
Dirktraveller

gabrielchew

Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:53 am

Oh Ryan, another brilliant report...lots of LOLs! And welcome to Australia! I hope you love it  
My significant other who was coming in from Malaysia would meet me at the Terminal 2 and together we would fly to Melbourne. I had so much baggage... almost 70kgs worth. Thus, the decision to splurge on a one way JCL ticket. With the two of us combined, at least we had an 80kg allowance.

Nice that he came along, even it it was just to carry all your luggage

SIN-KUL is an extremely short sector. We are normally cruising only for 20-25mins. Starched linens were hurriedly flapped in our faces by Bee Bee then onto our table. She returned with the meal trays which contained a hot entree (not bad, MH!) and a small bowl of dessert. Smiles were generous throughout.

Loks better than the shrink wrapped sandwich SQ gave me on the sector (in Biz)

I didn't mind the 5 hour transit because I was looking forward to the Satellite Golden Lounge. Its been yonks since I've last seen it and felt great to be re-visiting after 10 years. It was recently renovated and thankfully this trip was timed so that I could see the complete product after the works were done.

Loks nice. I was in KUL when it was being redone in Nov

With a soothing smile Eevon offered, "So, satay. Chicken, beef or both?"

Yum. I still remember the amazing satay at Madam Kwans. Nom.

Hahaha

Damn, these seats has to be some of the most uncomfortable JCL seats I've ever come across.

I aggree. Slopey seats are worse than cradles. Awful to "sleep" on

I bet someone had fun putting together this orgy of nonsensical garble. So, where does MH fly to in Europe again?

I know, so ridiculous. Uselss to everyone

started part time work as a waiter in a Chinese restaurant to pass time while searching for a full time job.

Ooh, sounds not very you!

Have fun, and don't get eaten/bitten by a local!
http://my.flightmemory.com/shefgab Upcoming flights: AMS-RIX-BUD-VDA,ETH-TLV-FCO-LHR,STN-TXL-LCY,LTN-CPH-LTN,LGW-SZG,MUC-LHR

Ryanair!!!
Topic Author

Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:12 am

Hello,

thanks for stopping by y'all...

Quoting flightsimboy (Reply 15):
I wonder what method he used to remember....Picture you as one of the items lol

I am sure after I said salmon pie, in his eyes my face became a salmon head.

That woman looks like she's ready to sock you for taking her pic!!

Err hello, the screaming toddler belonged to her! She's the YCL pax at the bulkhead with the bassinet!

Very nice of them to do that!!

That's why they're 5 star! Sadly, thats the only thing 5 star about MH. Ok, maybe the lounge in KUL.

The pain of arriving into a whole new life

Oh man, you have no idea the mess I was in when I arrived on the 25th morning. I felt like a zombie and I was just driving where the GPS told me to. Not really reacting to anything my partner was saying. I felt like that for about a week before I slapped myself to wake up, this is now my new home... I am now here so SUCK IT UP.

Quoting AirAfreak (Reply 16):
I am a creature of habit and enjoy familiarity and routine, so my best advice to you is give Melbourne at least a year.

Adelaide actually, that's where I am settled now. It's where my migration visa requires me to be for a set amount of time.

Be sure to go out and explore things alone and not always with your partner as it is important to remind yourself you are capable and confident in being self-sufficient and adventurous.

I am actually here on my own and Adelaide is one place I know no one. My other half went back home to Spore after a week. All my friends are in Melbourne, Sydney, Perth and Brisbane. Thus, I have been coming here a few times a year for the past few years to shore up my network and hopefully through those acquaintances, I can develop friendships worthy of mention. It looks promising, people here are very willing to help you if you ask. So far so good. My housemates are also fantastic (thank God) and are a fun bunch of people with the same ideals so we get along very well. We go to the pub once a week to chill out and it helps that there are several nice places to hang out within walking distance from our house.

And who can forget satay!!!!!!!!! I am truly jealous of everyone having this satay as it seems consistently wondrous! I have never had this satay and have never flown with MH and this satay is now a mission in life! (I'm a foodie.)

Ooooh I cannot emphasise again how the satay service is the highlight of their meal service!

Quoting Karan69 (Reply 17):
That honestly felt like a blast from the past when it came to the whole MH experience

Step back in time, if you will.

Quoting allrite (Reply 18):
Welcome at long last to Australia Ryan!!! About bloody time!  

Absolutely! When we first met and I mentioned to you about this move, Alex was still in a baby chair! Its taken me 5.5 years (since Aug 2008).

Enjoy your locally elected representatives. I don't think you fit the conservative revolutionary model.  

Don't remind me, election's around the corner in SA. Bloody hell... the present state govt is as broke as anything. I'm just observing from afar and the state politics here is stuff made for soaps. Exciting to watch!

It's when you board these kind of flights that you wish teleports had been invented to allow you to get to your destination without the struggle of maintaining a facade in a very public place for hours on end.

It was wearing me out like you wouldn't believe. There came to a point I thought I was going mental. I was running on empty and was just mentally worn out. Gosh, you would think I'll would be alright seeing how I have done this a few times to the same country before, right? However, this time felt very FINAL and that I was leaving everything behind to relocate. Its also the first time I have resigned from a job without anything waiting at the other end. So it was a little overwhelming... But hey - I'm having a good time now.

If you ever visit Sydney we'll take you somewhere or cook up a meal to make your stomach homesick.

Ah yeah... Looking forward to it! And yes... Adelaidians do drive very slowly. Hahaha...

Quoting dirktraveller (Reply 19):
Somehow I was under the impression that they are trying their best to be more "human" and less robotic on their service, but I guess as you said they overdone it and it really backfired.

This was a little TOO HUMAN (if that's a possible description). They were too slack. Complacent, if I dare add.

Quoting dirktraveller (Reply 19):
That was my exact impression of MEL. With all the optimism of announcing more flights and being more connected to the world, yet there's no plan revealed to upgrade their arrival/departure terminal facilities. Not sure if it's a case of a planning not being think through or there were really limitations hindering improvement of this arrival facilities.

I think that is a common shortcoming of a lot of main Aussie international airports with old infrastructure. PER, SYD, MEL comes to mind. If you look at the plan view, you can sort of make out the original shape of the terminal when it was first build. Then like a mutant gene implanted, it grew an arm here and a leg there... then the leg grew another arm then a finger extended so on and so forth. Very ugly looking extensions. ADL and BNE have fairly newish terminals so they do not have the problem of overcrowding.

Quoting gabrielchew (Reply 20):
Loks better than the shrink wrapped sandwich SQ gave me on the sector (in Biz)

You should see sometimes SQ serves fruits on this sector still in the flimsy plastic container the fruits comes in. URGH!

Yum. I still remember the amazing satay at Madam Kwans. Nom.

Who can forget? Its Mdm Kwan's!

Ooh, sounds not very you!

I instruct in Mandarin, yell to the kitchen in Cantonese and then smile to the customers in English. How's that for being multi-lingual?! Hahaha...

Cheers
Ryan

Singapore 777

Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:58 am

Hey ryan,

Quoting Ryanair!!! (Reply 14):
For this period, MEL flights are operated by 772s, much to my disappointment. It will revert to 333 in March. When I leave ADL for my first trip back home for a holiday, I do intend to check out the JCL on MH's 333.

Can't wait to read your review of JCL on MH's A330s. However, I've heard that they're not as good as the regional JCL seats made by Weber on the SQ A330s (also used by VA, FJ, BR and CI amongst others).

Sydney used to be an annual pilgrimage for me between 1997-2004. Somehow I stopped going there because I found it increasingly expensive. Nevertheless, it is worth a re-visit now that I am practically in the neighbourhood! Are you working there?

Tell me about it! However, I do go over to Perth quite often and it doesn't appear that things are any cheaper there so I'm wondering if it's just a case of stuff in Australia becoming more expensive over the years. I am working here, and have been for the last five years. Drop me a PM and we can catch up.  

NZ747

Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:04 am

Nice report!

Adelaide is a wonderful town without the hustle of Sydney or Melbourne, however when I was last there I noticed there are quite a few weirdos around...maybe don't drink the water?

Your pics of the satay inspired me to make my own Malaysian satay and sauce from scratch on the charcoal BBQ!

Thanks again  

MIAspotter

Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:06 am

HI Ryanair!!!

Very nice (yet sad) story, I can relate to it since I have done the same thing... TWICE. And I know of all the emotions, fears, etc of moving into a new place, but hey, once you settle down all is good.

MH did not impressed me on this story and the stories of other a.netters who have flown MH recently, very outdated and lacklustre hardware compared to other airlines of the region, but at least the crews were ok-ish.

Best of luck with your new life in ¨Ostrayah¨ and don´t worry, Singapore is just a ¨short¨ 7 hour flight away 

MIAspotter.
Nos vamos de Vueling?

Ryanair!!!
Topic Author

Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:57 pm

Hello all,

Quoting Singapore 777 (Reply 22):
Can't wait to read your review of JCL on MH's A330s. However, I've heard that they're not as good as the regional JCL seats made by Weber on the SQ A330s (also used by VA, FJ, BR and CI amongst others).

I have flown the "new MH A330" twice now and the YCL is pretty standard. Much lke SQ's but with a different upholstery. JCL from what I could tell looked rather sterile and seat cushion is hard from feedback I've received. Thus, I can't wait to try it before I conclude. MH does have some very attractive JCL fares, which makes the decision making bit very simple!

Quoting Singapore 777 (Reply 22):
I do go over to Perth quite often and it doesn't appear that things are any cheaper there so I'm wondering if it's just a case of stuff in Australia becoming more expensive over the years.

Perth's (and WA's) mining boom has helped pushed the prices up. Hotel rates are a good indication. AUD200 a night now gets you a rather 1970s era 3 star All Seasons Hotel in town. Forget the Hyatt! They are now priced above AUD 300-400 per night.

Quoting NZ747 (Reply 23):
Adelaide is a wonderful town without the hustle of Sydney or Melbourne, however when I was last there I noticed there are quite a few weirdos around...maybe don't drink the water?

Hahahaha... That being said there are wierdos everywhere. But you are right, the tap water in SA does taste different. Now that I am waiting on tables, I have been told to be specific about water being served and be very careful when a customer asks for them. Still, sparkling or tap.

Quoting NZ747 (Reply 23):
Your pics of the satay inspired me to make my own Malaysian satay and sauce from scratch on the charcoal BBQ!

I just tried to make some a few days ago!

Quoting MIAspotter (Reply 24):
Very nice (yet sad) story, I can relate to it since I have done the same thing... TWICE. And I know of all the emotions, fears, etc of moving into a new place, but hey, once you settle down all is good.

I wouldn't exactly call it a sad story. Yes I was sad to leave stuff behind but I was going on one of the biggest adventures of my life! Although I do not have a full time job yet, working a few hours a day has helped me regain back some sanity and enjoy the present lifestyle I have so craved for these many years. THIS is what I have come to Australia for, a slower pace of life. And I intend to milk it for all its worth.

Quoting MIAspotter (Reply 24):
MH did not impressed me on this story and the stories of other a.netters who have flown MH recently, very outdated and lacklustre hardware compared to other airlines of the region, but at least the crews were ok-ish.

That's the thing - you do not always have a stellar set of crew. When you don't, the ENTIRE product falls flat and it really looks like cake that has failed to rise in an oven. Its all deflated, defeated and frankly very pathetic looking.

Cheers
Ryan

9MMAR

Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:02 pm

Selamat maju jaya di perantauan. Semoga segala yang dihajati tercapai.

Ryanair!!!
Topic Author

Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:53 pm

Makasih ya Pak? Its been a while, hope you're well!  

initious

Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:12 pm

Hello Ryan,

Great to see that you have made a huge decision in your life and looks like a great one so far! Adelaide is my favourite city in Australia and I am hoping that I can move there someday too. Will you be able to share how you got "qualified"? I understand it is getting harder and harder to get Australian citizenship now. Can't wait to leave Singapore but I'll certainly have the same feelings like you did, missing the environment and people here.

I love how you got that Honda CRV (am I correct?) for only AUD $4000. That same damn thing here would cost... Oh well, I wouldn't even dare to imagine! How old is that car? No worries, I'm not going to ask when does the COE expire.  
I go bonkers at Aussie supermarkets. I cook, you see.

I went to Woolies a few times while I was in Sydney for a holiday and man, I fell in love with it! It beats ANY supermarkets here in Singapore hands down! I also cook very frequently and I love how Australia's supermarkets are so well organised and easy to pick what you what. You do not even have to worry about 1 apple in a whole load of them it seems.

Enjoy your new life in Adelaide! Hope that I will be able to take the plunge and do the same thing in the future. My goal is too, Adelaide.  

Regards,
Daniel
One day I will fly around the world!

YYZatcboy

Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:58 am

Congrats on the move! When I did my 10 day whirlwind tour through SYD-MEL-ADL, ADL was the only place I did not get rained on! Beautiful city. If you get the chance go up to the Tanunda wine area. Some great wines and beautiful scenery. I also loved heading down to the beach at Glenleg and watching the planes. The aviation museum in North Adelaide and the train museum next door are also well worth doing and well within walking distance from the train stop at Port Adelaide.

I'm slightly envious that you get to move to Australia. If I could get an aviation job there I'd love to go work in Australia too.

Best of luck on your new life!

Cheers
DH1/3/4 MD11/88 L1011 A319/20/21/30/50/80 717 727 735/6/7/8/9 744 762/3 77E/W 788/789 E40/75/90 CRJ/700/705 CC150
J/S DH8D 736/7/8 763

Ryanair!!!
Topic Author

Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:00 am

Hi guys,

Quoting Initious (Reply 28):
Great to see that you have made a huge decision in your life and looks like a great one so far! Adelaide is my favourite city in Australia and I am hoping that I can move there someday too. Will you be able to share how you got "qualified"? I understand it is getting harder and harder to get Australian citizenship now. Can't wait to leave Singapore but I'll certainly have the same feelings like you did, missing the environment and people here.

Indeed it is a huge decision and when I started on this journey, perhaps I didn't realise the magnitude of it. Saying "I know its a huge decision" and actually going through it are almost two very different stories altogether. The sheer emotional upheaval and the amount of logistics involved is enough to drain you for a few years. But do I regret it? NOT ONE BIT. I started panicking only about half a year ago when I visited ADL during winter (I am sure you remember that trip report) when reality started to sink in that I am actually moving.

Time will fly and here I am. My mind was really in a mess during this MH flight although I was all smiles for the photos. As soon as the camera was put away, I was sitting there mostly staring into space or looking out of the window - quietly.

If you ever want to go through this, PM me and we will have a chat. I will be more than glad to walk you through this exciting journey - from one Singaporean migrant to another.  
I love how you got that Honda CRV (am I correct?) for only AUD $4000. That same damn thing here would cost... Oh well, I wouldn't even dare to imagine! How old is that car? No worries, I'm not going to ask when does the COE expire.  

Sorry, SA)">CO-what? I have no idea what is that. Hahahaha...

I went to Woolies a few times while I was in Sydney for a holiday and man, I fell in love with it! It beats ANY supermarkets here in Singapore hands down! I also cook very frequently and I love how Australia's supermarkets are so well organised and easy to pick what you what. You do not even have to worry about 1 apple in a whole load of them it seems.

Yes Aussie supermarkets - AWESOME! Produce is so fresh and most importantly, CHEEEEAP. Woolies is one of the more expensive ones actually. There are other local grocers here in SA (IGA, Foodland, Asian grocers etc) which are slightly cheaper. I live in Norwood which is like Holland V so things are supposedly pricey, and yet - I find the prices very reasonable. Can't imagine I would wet myself going further out into the suburbs to shop!

Quoting YYZatcboy (Reply 29):
Congrats on the move! When I did my 10 day whirlwind tour through SYD-MEL-ADL, ADL was the only place I did not get rained on! Beautiful city. If you get the chance go up to the Tanunda wine area. Some great wines and beautiful scenery. I also loved heading down to the beach at Glenleg and watching the planes. The aviation museum in North Adelaide and the train museum next door are also well worth doing and well within walking distance from the train stop at Port Adelaide.

There is a certain charm about Adelaide. It is either you are for it, or against it. There is seldom any middle ground. For me, I like the tranquility of it and yet still have creature comforts of a city. So far I have done Barossa when wine country is concerned. I am not a huge wine drinker (at most, a glass of red for me at dinner) but I like the experience of dining at a vineyard. Quaint restaurants these establishments have! But I must do it in winter for more ambience...

Quoting YYZatcboy (Reply 29):
I'm slightly envious that you get to move to Australia. If I could get an aviation job there I'd love to go work in Australia too.

Australia is an beautiful country. I've been in love with it ever since I first step foot on it. Never looked back, was always plotting my move here for more than 10 years already. Hehe...

Cheers,
Ryan

777ish

Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:34 am

Hi Ryan,

I don't usually post responses on here (I tend to lurk) but this TR struck a chord with me! I just wanted to congratulate you on your move!

Welcome to Radelaide! Your chosen area of Norwood is one that I know quite well as I live in the Eastern Suburbs myself! Definitely a good area to be in and the proximity to the city as well as good restaurants, pubs and cafes makes it quite the awesome spot!

Wishing you all the best with this new chapter in life!

Regards
Ish

[Edited 2014-03-04 19:36:29]

Ryanair!!!
Topic Author

Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:34 am

Ish,

glad I managed to bring you out of lurking. Hahaha... You live in Adelaide, I assume? PM me and let's do coffee sometime!

Regards
Ryan

Superfly

Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:30 am

Another great report from RyanAir!!!.  
I see familiar faces.

As soon as it was possible, almost everyone extended their seats and went to sleep. Looks like no one was eating supper.

That odd turquoise lighting makes the interior look like a laboratory.

The fore cabin was now dark except for a peek of blue tinge from edges of the ceiling, kinda reminds me of a strip club.

...and how would you know this?  
The female passenger across the aisle was in such deep slumber she didn't realise her t-shirt had hiked so far up exposing her skin accompanied very glamourously by the top of her panties.

What style/cut were they? I want to see pictures.  
I readjusted the configuration into a "lounge mode" which was slightly better. I must conclude the older cradle recliners are far more comfortable!

I wholeheartedly agree! I'm not impressed with these fancy gadgets and motorized headrest and footrest. I rather have a lot of cushion.
I hope to fly on the old style business class seats on Philippines Airlines 747 or A340 on my next trip to the US.

Those people in the water aren't afraid of box jellyfish?

Didn't waste time, got myself a set of wheels on the first day when I arrived in Adelaide.

Isn't it great to not have to pay a ridiculous tax on a car like in Singapore? When I visit Australia, I may buy a used car and drive it for a month an then sell it at the end of the trip. It would be cheaper than renting a car. I'd like to pick up a 20 year old Ford Falcon or Holden Commodore and do a roadtrip.
Bring back the Concorde

CrimsonNL

Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:54 am

Hi Ryanair,

Great report! Very well written with lovely pictures. Very interesting to see some of MH business. Thanks for sharing and good luck with the job hunt!  

Rgds,

Martijn
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

Ryanair!!!
Topic Author

Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:44 pm

Hi guys,

Quoting Superfly (Reply 33):
That odd turquoise lighting makes the interior look like a laboratory.

YES! Remember the disused lab in SAW I? Phwoah, good stuff!

...and how would you know this?  

You tell me! I am not the one who lives in Bangkok. Hehehehe...

Those people in the water aren't afraid of box jellyfish?

If we get stung, there's always pee.  
Isn't it great to not have to pay a ridiculous tax on a car like in Singapore? When I visit Australia, I may buy a used car and drive it for a month an then sell it at the end of the trip. It would be cheaper than renting a car. I'd like to pick up a 20 year old Ford Falcon or Holden Commodore and do a roadtrip.

Cars are definitely cheap here, even brand new! I am like a kid in a candy store looking at car prices all the time. I guess coming from Singapore, you can understand the suppressed desire to buy a car cheaply. I don't know about going on road trips in a 20 year old car though. Hahahaha... Guess I am not that brave.

Quoting CrimsonNL (Reply 34):
Great report! Very well written with lovely pictures. Very interesting to see some of MH business. Thanks for sharing and good luck with the job hunt!  

Dank u, Martijn!

zoom1018

Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:51 am

Great journey report! Good luck!

Superfly

Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:28 am

Quoting Ryanair!!! (Reply 35):
YES! Remember the disused lab in SAW I? Phwoah, good stuff!

I was thinking of the movie Coma - the original one from 1978.

You tell me! I am not the one who lives in Bangkok. Hehehehe...

Haha!  
I don't know about going on road trips in a 20 year old car though. Hahahaha... Guess I am not that brave.

That makes it all the more exciting. I'd find one of those Aussie gearheads that talk like Crocodile Dundee go through it and make all the necessary repairs first.
Bring back the Concorde

Ryanair!!!
Topic Author

Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:10 pm

Oh my God... RIP MH370.  

j77w

Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:04 pm

Ryanair - welcome to Oz!

Love your trip reports - great pictures, I love the enthusiasm with which you write it - not to mention your humour! 

I think - no, I *know* I'm in the minority for preferring angled lie flat over full-flat - maybe it's because the upward angle of the aircraft itself during flight which makes me think that I'm at a normal angle. By the same token, I can't get the hang go trying sleep in a "fully-flat" because .... would you believe I feel like I'm sliding *backwards* towards the headrest. :-/

Anyway, looking forward to reading your future reports.

Cheers,

J.

Ryanair!!!
Topic Author

Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:34 am

J,

thanks for stopping by. Ah well, can't please everyone right? One man's meat is another man's poison. And yes, Australia is treating me very well, very good for the soul and my blood pressure! LOL!

Regards
Ryan

ojas

Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:03 am

Excellent TR Ryan and I take this opportunity ... RIP MH370.

Leading up to D-day, the stress of relocation was eating me up from inside. Besides little panic attacks and sudden cold feet, there were the acute sense of nostalgia and the weary farewell lunches / dinners lined up every single day leading up to my flight. Every meet up with friends / family reminded me the cold hard truth that I was finally leaving. It was wearing me down trying to explain to them again and again how hard it is to relocate and the stress associated with it. With every meet up was the same. Everyone thought of Australia as a holiday destination and I was just going for an extended vacation.
In the end, I gave up and just smiled through it and said I was alright and excited to leave on this adventure. I didn't blame them, not everyone can relate to these sort of feelings unless you have gone through it.

I can very much relate to this situation. I went through something very similar in 2002 when I first left Qatar for my further education in India. Having being born and brought up in Qatar, I've till date yet to come to terms to the fact that Qatar is not my home from any angle. No matter how the country is, there is nothing that can replace the nostalgia associated with the place where you grew. And leaving that is extremely painful. I left at 17 and have been staying more or less on my own since then.

There was nothing pompous about the Business Class check in with MH. Gone are the days where they laid out a carpet to welcome you. Mum and dad were there, so were two other friends whom I didn't manage to squeeze in a farewell meal with. As much as I was emotional about leaving my homeland, last thing I needed was drama at the airport. I was pretty specific in my instructions for those who wanted to turn up, NO TEARS.

Had you been Indian, you would not have any idea what drama could have unfolded at Changi! Remember some bollywood movies and jut imagine how things would have been different!

Now we had coffee mugs, but no stirrer. Bee Bee walked passed again. We signalled her for some of the usual stuff which normally accompanies coffee...

"Orh, ok..." again she disappeared to the front galley and came back with two stirrers and plonked it into our mugs.

"We need sugar as well?"
"Oh ya, wait ah..."

Sigh, sloppy for a business class service - very sloppy. To think that this sector was once marketed as First Class.

Since this flight was far longer that normal, trays were eventually cleared very slowly and by the time we landed and docked - about 90mins have been clocked. It felt as long as a Jakarta flight!

Sad, but then I have heard only good reviews about MH.

Once again, our flight was afflicted with the very common ailment of "gatechangetitis" - as it seems to be with a lot of MH flights at KUL. I wonder why? Is the airport really THAT busy to warrant this? Anyway, we were assigned to C3 from the original C17 - which suited us fine as the gate was just beneath Golden Lounge.

LOL

As a cruel joke, just as dinner linens were laid out, the bright orange glow that is Singapore drifted past outside my window. My home... Goodbye. Looking at Singapore also signalled the start of meal service

a truly cruel joke!

Once again thank you so much sharing your TR, looking forward for TRs within Australia from you!
Great leaders don't tell you what to do ... they show you how it's done!

chepos

Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:42 pm

Great trip report as usual, thanks for sharing. Best of luck to you two in Australia!
Fly the Flag!!!!

Ryanair!!!
Topic Author

Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:49 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for stopping by...

Quoting ojas (Reply 41):
I can very much relate to this situation. I went through something very similar in 2002 when I first left Qatar for my further education in India. Having being born and brought up in Qatar, I've till date yet to come to terms to the fact that Qatar is not my home from any angle. No matter how the country is, there is nothing that can replace the nostalgia associated with the place where you grew. And leaving that is extremely painful. I left at 17 and have been staying more or less on my own since then.

Ojas, I can only say I am thankful to be given this opportunity because this is an adventure worth embarking upon! I've never felt more alibe.

Quoting ojas (Reply 41):
Had you been Indian, you would not have any idea what drama could have unfolded at Changi! Remember some bollywood movies and jut imagine how things would have been different!

Really? Pray tell!

Quoting ojas (Reply 41):
Once again thank you so much sharing your TR, looking forward for TRs within Australia from you!

I don't think domestic Aussie flights will be as interesting as intra-Asian ones.

Quoting chepos (Reply 42):
Great trip report as usual, thanks for sharing. Best of luck to you two in Australia!

Hey ya Cheapos, I am here by myself actually. Solo...

Cheers
Ryan

ojas

Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:41 pm

Quoting Ryanair!!! (Reply 43):
Really? Pray tell!

As per Indian protocol the mother will be crying all the way in the car to drop to you at the airport at the check in and as you proceed to the immigration making it obvious to the entire terminal that she is bidding farewell to a son ...as though he is going for a war .... and it takes a larger role when there are multiple ladies in the crowd.

To see it just visit any Indian airport between 2100hrs and 0200hrs.
Great leaders don't tell you what to do ... they show you how it's done!

Ryanair!!!
Topic Author

Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:38 am

Quoting ojas (Reply 44):
As per Indian protocol the mother will be crying all the way in the car to drop to you at the airport at the check in and as you proceed to the immigration making it obvious to the entire terminal that she is bidding farewell to a son ...as though he is going for a war .... and it takes a larger role when there are multiple ladies in the crowd.

Hahahahahahaaaa..... Speaking from experience, I see?