PlaneHunter
Topic Author

Throning On A 777: JFK-VIE, Austrian's New J Class

Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:34 pm

Map generated by the Great Circle Mapper - copyright © Karl L. Swartz

Intro
Back in mid 2013, I decided to make a weekend transatlantic trip in order to try two different long-haul Business Class products. The plan was to fly out on Saturday, spend one night in New York, Washington or elsewhere and arrive back home on Monday. There were numerous interesting Star Alliance combos and I even found options including a product which I was absolutely keen on: Austrian Airlines' new lie-flat Business Class.

So it would have been possible to fly Munich-Vienna-New York/JFK (long-haul flight operated by an Austrian 777-200ER), but the early departure time and a short connecting time turned me off. Finally, I decided to choose Austrian's 777 on the return journey and Air Canada (click here for more details) on the outbound journey.

Immediately after receiving my reservation code, I entered my data on the Miles&More website and got access to the seat maps. Now which seat should I pick on Austrian? Here's the staggered Business Class layout:
http://www.austrian.com/Info/Flighti...ng%20777-200.aspx?sc_lang=en&cc=EN

I prefer to sit on the left on eastbound transatlantic flights, so I was glad when I found out that several single seats, so-called "thrones" on the left were still available. I could have selected 1A, but in order to increase privacy, I chose 9A in the smaller Business Class section close to the wing and the mighty GE90 engine.  thumbsup 

All flights on the map:

Map generated by the Great Circle Mapper - copyright © Karl L. Swartz

Part I about the Munich-Toronto-New York/LGA journey can be found here: Homey Herringbone! AC A330 Executive First Suite (by PlaneHunter Feb 1 2014 in Trip Reports)

[Edited 2014-03-15 05:47:30]
Nothing's worse than flying the same reg twice!

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

RE: Throning On A 777: JFK-VIE, Austrian's New J Class

Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:35 pm

Sunday, August 2013
New York (JFK) - Vienna (VIE)
Austrian Airlines OS088, operated by Tyrolean Airways
Scheduled times: 17:40-08:25
Actual times: 17:57-08:35
Flight duration: 07:14 (hrs)
Distance: 4240 miles
Business Class, seat 9A

Boeing 777-2Z9ER
OE-LPA (s/n 087), named "Sound of Music"
First delivered to Lauda Air in 09/1997

1st flight on OE-LPA
12th 777-200ER flight
36th 777 flight

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Wingnut
View Large View Medium

Photo © Rodrigo Carvalho

View Large View Medium

Photo © Thomas Ernst - Aviation Arts
View Large View Medium

Photo © Viktor Gula

Former appearance:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Brendan Vanderwerf
View Large View Medium

Photo © M. Oswald

After an extended spotting session by my hotel room window, I checked out at noon and took the shuttle to LaGuardia airport. Just 20 minutes later, I boarded an express bus to JFK. It was already quite busy in the Terminal 1 check-in hall, but the Business Class counters I was heading to were deserted. Less than five minutes later, I received my boarding passes and went to the gate area which is not bad for spotting. However, it's recommended to be discrete.

Aeroflot A330-300 VQ-BMX:

Korean Air A380 HL7619:

And here it is - Austrian's 777-2Z9ER OE-LPA, one of four frames in the fleet back then, first delivered to Lauda Air more than 16 years ago:

Like all arriving widebodies, it was towed to the gate, most likely due to limited space in that area:

After my plane's arrival, I decided to check out the nearby Lufthansa lounge:

Large pictures showing female Lufthansa pilots in the passage between main entrance and foyer:

Even though there were many people around, I got a nice seat by the large window front. I was even able to log registrations of aircraft taxiing to the runway:  thumbsup 

There was a decent range of food and drinks…

…including ginger ale...

...but I didn't eat too much because I was expecting a filling DO&CO dinner on the flight.  Smile

Boarding commenced on time and I could finally enter Austrian's new Business Class cabin - after receiving a friendly, but impersonal welcome by some flight attendants. Unfortunately, I would keep noticing a lack of warmth among the crew throughout the whole flight...

Back to the hardware - very classy cabin, isn't it?

And here it is, my 19.37 inches wide "throne" 9A:

The seat is very comfortable and there's plenty of legroom:

Intuitive seat controls:

What I find very useful are numerous storage compartments and pockets:

Spotting equipment perfectly stored:  thumbsup 

Austrian chose 15-inch touch screen monitors - unfortunately, the surface is highly reflective:

PlaneHunter in action:

Shortly after I had taken my seat, water and orange juice (with slice of orange) were offered:

Economy Class passengers kept passing for a while and many of them were visibly impressed by the Business Class seats and layout. I also overheard some negative comments, obviously driven by envy, and one lady disdainfully said: "This is for the upper class!"  Wink

While the Economy Class cabin was packed, numerous Business Class seats remained empty. In my section, only 4 out of 16 seats were occupied - so it felt very private:

The "flying chef", a very young guy, handed out a classic menu card plus a breakfast order sheet:

He returned a few minutes later to collect the breakfast order sheet, but I hadn't decided yet and asked him to pick it up after departure.

After the captain's short welcome speech, the male purser gave some additional information about the flight. I wasn't overly amused about the expected flying time of only 7 hours and 20 minutes - but on the other side, I wouldn't have a reason any more to worry about my 40 minute connection.

[Edited 2014-03-15 06:04:30]

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:36 pm

Another GE90 and DO&CO customer parked next to us:

We were finally pushed back 17 minutes behind schedule. Air France A380 on the left:

I have never liked the 767's appearance, but it looks nice from this perspective:

We were towed to the front end of the Terminal 1 apron and I was expecting the GE90 "Rock 'n' Roll" to start...

...but then the captain announced that - due to high traffic - we would have to wait another 15 minutes for the engine start-up allowance.  thumbsdown 

Well, at least our position was perfect for spotting. This is American Airlines 777-223ER N759AN with "Breast Cancer Awareness" markings, meanwhile repainted into new colors:

Finally, the GE90s came to life and we taxied clockwise around Terminal 1. However, we had to stop again after a while and I discovered a waiting line consisting of some 20 aircraft. At 18:39, the captain made another announcement: "New York is showing its very worst side today", he said and added that we would have to wait at least another 30 minutes.  Embarrassment

Well, what to do? I started exploring the seat pockets. Safety card:

Now tell me - what's missing here?

Yes, of course, OE-LPB. Why? All Austrian Airlines aircraft, except for OE-LPB, have been operated by Tyrolean Airways since July 1, 2012. OE-LPB was kept on the Austrian Airlines air operator certificate to maintain it as an operating airline. Who knows what will happen in the future...

Inflight magazine and shopping guide:

The most interesting page:

Seat instructions:

Nice little handset:

Noise-cancelling headphones for all people who can't stand the raw 777 sound...

Amenity kit pouch made from felt:

Since it was unclear how long exactly we would be stuck on the ground, I asked the purser whether I was allowed to go to the lavatory. He confirmed and soon people throughout the cabin were moving around and the flight attendants started offering water.

Interestingly, the lavatory showed signs of tear and wear which I found surprising because the plane had been refurbished not too long ago. It's hard to believe that the lavatories were left out, but who knows. Amenities:

Shortly after I had returned to my seat, the captain made another announcement and asked all passengers to be seated again, explaining that the plane was being considered as "ready for departure" by ATC. So I'm wondering if it had been okay that people were allowed to move around.

Anyway, we soon started taxiing again and were allowed to pass the very queue of waiting aircraft:

What a scenery:

Finally, 1 hour and 19 minutes (!) after leaving the gate, OE-LPA entered the runway and climbed into the evening sky after a powerful takeoff roll:

Now I had a closer look at Austrian's RAVE IFE system,

Operating the touch screen was very convenient:

My favorite feature:

[Edited 2014-03-15 06:35:48]

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:37 pm

Some 45 minutes after takeoff, dinner service was about to commence. Orders had been taken much earlier, of course. Here's the menu:

Some background on DO&CO:

Sounds excellent, doesn't it?

Austrian doesn't serve ginger ale, but "Almdudler", a popular Austrian herbal lemonade which tastes quite good:

I found it strange that nuts and drinks hadn't been served much earlier. So all that arrived some 10 minutes or so before the first course:

In order to quench my thirst, I ordered Almdudler - and additionally, I asked for a glass of Champagne...

...which was served with an ice cube. How come? After my request, the purser told me with regret that the champagne hadn't been cooled properly for whatever reason. "So I'll just add an ice cube", he said and did exactly that without waiting for my reaction. Well, it still tasted alright, but I prefer to drink it straight.

Anyway, here's the starter which was not just an optical delight - the caramelized goat cheese with beetroot salad tasted great:

After that, I enjoyed a very good beef consommé with stripes of pancakes:

And here's the impressive main course, fillet of beef with truffle mousseline and grilled asparagus - wow!

One cannot expect a high-quality restaurant-style medium done meat on a plane, but that well done fillet was very tasty:

Cheese and desserts on the way - I left out the former, though:

After being kindly asked for my preferences, I decided to try the mousse au chocolate and the raspberry parfait:

The presentation was just poor in comparison - I guess the on-board chef wouldn't have been amused about that. He would have been the right person to do the plating.

In addition to DO&CO catering, Austrian is known for its "coffee house service above the clouds". Here's the dedicated menu card:

Appetizing second page:

Some background information once again:

Austrian offers a total of 12 different coffee specialties:

I ordered a tasty "kleinen Braunen", served in an elegant cup on a silver plate - but neither chocolate nor milk had been placed in true "coffee house style":

[Edited 2014-03-15 06:24:13]

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:39 pm

Meanwhile we were cruising over Newfoundland...

...quite fast actually:

Now it about time to turn my seat into a fully flat bed:

I found the seat cushion very comfortable and couldn't complain about the bed's width either, but there was not enough space for my feet in that relatively narrow compartment - taking off the shoes didn't help much, btw:

After getting some rest, I enjoyed watching the sunrise:

The more windows, the better:

Perfect time to go for a walk...

Forward Business Class section:

Blue lighting, bright sunbeams:

The self-service corner in the Business Class galley didn't leave a very good impression:

After the flight attendants had started preparing breakfast, I was offered a very tasty smoothie:

I took the chance to ask for the exact arrival time, referring to my tight connection. The very flight attendant then went straight to the flight deck in order to find that out. She returned after a few minutes and told me that we would arrive just 10 minutes behind schedule.  thumbsup  We were meanwhile cruising over Ireland:

Breakfast was fine both in terms of quality and quantity:

Interestingly, apart from the tableware and the selection of breads, it wasn't so much different from the Economy Class breakfast fellow trip reporter Sultanils received on a recent flight between Dubai and Vienna. The potatoes he got looked even better. Just click here to have a look at his report including the breakfast picture: WAW!strian Airlines B763 'new' Y: DXB-VIE-BRU (by Sultanils Mar 4 2014 in Trip Reports)
Well, of course I could have additionally ordered cheese and ham as well as muesli and cornflakes.

Coffee served in a large cup:

One final cabin shot:

Final approach to runway 34:

We touched down after a flying time of 7 hours and 14 minutes and quickly taxied to the Star Alliance Terminal...

...where we arrived at 08:35, exactly 10 minutes behind schedule. Now I had 30 minutes left to transfer and therefore quickly left the aircraft.

[Edited 2014-03-15 06:29:06]

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:39 pm

Monday, August 2013
Vienna (VIE) - Munich (MUC)
Lufthansa LH2325
Scheduled times: 09:05-10:15
Actual times: 09:05-10:04
Flight duration: 00:46 (hrs)
Distance: 221 miles
Business Class, seat 3F

Airbus A319-114
D-AILA (MSN 609), named "Frankfurt/Oder"
Delivered in 07/1996

1st flight on D-AILA
30th A319 flight
96th A32X flight

View Large View Medium

Photo © Mario Aurich - AirTeamImages
View Large View Medium

Photo © Jussi Seppala - flyFinland

After rushing down a few corridors, I reached a hall full of security checkpoints. There were lines everywhere and I asked a ground staff member about a priority lane. "You would have to continue to the other end", he replied and added that it would probably be better to line up here immediately. Well, that's what I did and waiting time would have been rather limited IF there hadn't been a woman delaying the whole process. After passing security, there were less than 20 minutes left and I started running to my gate. I finally stepped on board 10 minutes before departure which shows that a 20 minute connection is doable...  Yeah sure

Two very friendly flight attendants welcomed me with a smile. "I've made it just in time!", I said. "Oh, we still have time", the male purser replied with a relaxed attitude and encouraged me to take a newspaper or magazine first before taking my seat. Some of the Austrian crew members I met could learn a lesson from these two nice Lufthansa FAs...

By the way, I was glad that Lufthansa had sent D-AILA, its first A319, delivered in July 1996 - it was a new registration for me. Parked next to us was an Austrian cousin:

Last shot of my 777, parked between two 767s:

The flight was uneventful, but I really enjoyed the friendly service. I can only praise these two flight attendants - and the tasty breakfast I got:

Freshly squeezed orange juice:

I have said many times that Lufthansa's inflight magazine is probably the world's best...

...and it didn't disappoint me this time either. I thoroughly enjoyed an article about the time-consuming installation of the new Business Class seats in an A330:

Always a pleasure to see MUC from the air, even though it would look even better with a third runway...

We touched down after a flying time of 46 minutes and my not-so-common weekend trip had come to an end.

[Edited 2014-03-15 06:32:54]

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:40 pm

Conclusion
My expectations of Austrian Airlines' new Business Class had been high and they were not entirely met. First of all, the airline chose a very impressive premium interior. And while I found the "throne" very comfortable and spacious in upright and lounge position, I felt a bit cramped in lie-flat mode simply because the cubbyhole is not big enough. It may be different in another seat, though.

As expected, the DO&CO catering was outstanding - but the poorly presented dessert left a negative impression. Why not let the chef serve that? However, what I missed most was a warm, personal service - only one single flight attendant stood out from the rest. But she still couldn't hold a candle to the superb flight attendant I met on the outbound Air Canada flight. Anyway, there weren't any major flaws so I would certainly choose Austrians' Business Class again.

Lufthansa offers a solid Business Class product with fine catering on its short European routes - very convenient and enjoyable when it's part of a long-haul journey. However, it's questionable if it's worth the extra investment on a pure short-haul trip.

Best Regards,
PlaneHunter

P.S.: Just in case you missed them - here's a selection of my previous trip reports: Homey Herringbone! AC A330 Executive First Suite (by PlaneHunter Feb 1 2014 in Trip Reports) Flat Bed On Euro Leg: SQ 777-300ER, Business Class (by PlaneHunter Dec 13 2013 in Trip Reports) ZigZag To MAN: Volotea 717, TVF 738 & Packed 757s (by PlaneHunter Dec 4 2013 in Trip Reports) The Hobbit 777 Meets Retro Jet: LAX To CPH, NZ/SK (by PlaneHunter Oct 12 2013 in Trip Reports) Triatlón Mexicano: Interjet - Volaris - AeroMexico (by PlaneHunter Sep 21 2013 in Trip Reports) Snow Chaos & Rebooking: KLM 744 To MEX In Business (by PlaneHunter Sep 1 2013 in Trip Reports) Short Hops, High Quality: Luxair, VLM & CityJet (by PlaneHunter Jul 31 2013 in Trip Reports) Night Stop In Beirut: Turkish A333 & MEA A320/A332 (by PlaneHunter Jun 28 2013 in Trip Reports) Rushing Thru Romania: Carpatair S20 & Tarom A318 (by PlaneHunter Apr 30 2013 in Trip Reports) Flybe E175, Helvetic F100 & The Beauty Of Scotland (by PlaneHunter Feb 11 2013 in Trip Reports) Berlin A.Net Meeting, Air Malta & Wind Jet (R.I.P) (by PlaneHunter Jan 26 2013 in Trip Reports) 100th Report: LOT 787 Dream)Liner, 1st Day Of Ops (by PlaneHunter Dec 16 2012 in Trip Reports) Air Macau, Tiger Airways & Grounding Fiasco At SIN (by PlaneHunter Dec 10 2012 in Trip Reports) Delayed By Over 6 Months: LHR-SIN On Qantas A380 (by PlaneHunter Nov 29 2012 in Trip Reports) No A380, But Still Great: ICN-DXB, EK 77W J Class (by PlaneHunter Nov 21 2012 in Trip Reports) Taipei 101 & Flawed Prestige Class On Korean A330 (by PlaneHunter Oct 7 2012 in Trip Reports) Double Letdown To BKK & TPE: UL A330/A340, CI 744 (by PlaneHunter Sep 24 2012 in Trip Reports) 5* Carrier, Hilton Suite & Dubai's Epic Landmarks (by PlaneHunter Aug 10 2012 in Trip Reports) India's Finest? BKK-BOM-LHR, Jet Airways 738 & 77W (by PlaneHunter May 18 2012 in Trip Reports) 3x Asian Quality: CGK-SIN-HKT-BKK On GA, FD & PG (by PlaneHunter Mar 27 2012 in Trip Reports) Blast From The Past: Sriwijaya 732 & Lion Air 739 (by PlaneHunter Mar 7 2012 in Trip Reports) Widebody Hopping & KUL Spotting: SIA A330, KLM 77W (by PlaneHunter Feb 21 2012 in Trip Reports) QF A380 Grounded, Bags Lost - LHR-SIN, TK A330/340 (by PlaneHunter Jan 30 2012 in Trip Reports) Type Downgrade, Class Upgrade: EgyptAir Business (by PlaneHunter Dec 31 2011 in Trip Reports) Long-Haul Cabin On A 737: MUC-CAI On PrivatAir (by PlaneHunter Nov 29 2011 in Trip Reports) 1 Day, 2 Highlights: Big A.net Meeting & LAN A340 (by PlaneHunter Nov 15 2011 in Trip Reports) Imperfect Giant: CPT-JNB-FRA On SA A332 & LH A380 (by PlaneHunter Oct 21 2011 in Trip Reports) BA Vs. LCC, African Way: JNB-DUR-CPT, Comair/Mango (by PlaneHunter Oct 8 2011 in Trip Reports) Africa's Best Airline? FRA-JNB On SAA A340-600 (by PlaneHunter Sep 23 2011 in Trip Reports) Fuel Dump & Return To CDG: Enroute To LAX On 9/11 (by PlaneHunter Sep 11 2011 in Trip Reports) Greek Quality: Aegean, Olympic & Istanbul Spotting (by PlaneHunter Aug 29 2011 in Trip Reports) Exploring A Virgin: VS A343/A346 & Dubai Delights (by PlaneHunter Aug 8 2011 in Trip Reports) Superb Stübli & Crew: LAS-LAX-ZRH-MUC, LX J Class (by PlaneHunter Jul 20 2011 in Trip Reports) Grand Canyon & More: Scenic Flight On Dornier 228 (by PlaneHunter Jun 21 2011 in Trip Reports) San Francisco Sunshine...and A Frontier Fiasco (by PlaneHunter Jun 3 2011 in Trip Reports) Fully Flat Bed To SFO: SWISS' New Business Class (by PlaneHunter May 7 2011 in Trip Reports) Mountains, Meals & More: SunExpress Vs. Pegasus (by PlaneHunter Apr 23 2011 in Trip Reports) Crossing Two Oceans: AKL-SFO-MUC, NZ 777 & LH A346 (by PlaneHunter Apr 10 2011 in Trip Reports) Bad Weather & Other Bad Luck: Touring New Zealand (by PlaneHunter Mar 14 2011 in Trip Reports) Trans-Tasman Treat: Aerolineas Argentinas A340-200 (by PlaneHunter Mar 5 2011 in Trip Reports) Detours To Sydney: Wildlife, Tiger, REX & QFLink (by PlaneHunter Feb 22 2011 in Trip Reports) Thai Fails To Impress: MUC-BKK-BNE On 744 & 777 (by PlaneHunter Jan 23 2011 in Trip Reports) Painful Delay & My 100th Airline: AF A380, VO F100 (by PlaneHunter Dec 25 2010 in Trip Reports) Fifth Freedom Tidbit: Kuwait Airways A300-600 (by PlaneHunter Dec 2 2010 in Trip Reports) Ship Vs. Plane: Porto Santo Line & Sata Air Açores (by PlaneHunter Nov 17 2010 in Trip Reports) Awesome Approach, Splendid Scenery: LIS, FNC & TAP (by PlaneHunter Oct 30 2010 in Trip Reports) Guernsey, Ash Cloud Alarm & Mostly Empty SQ 77Ws (by PlaneHunter Sep 26 2010 in Trip Reports) Totally Thrilling: Scenic Flight On Lufthansa A380 (by PlaneHunter Aug 5 2010 in Trip Reports) Cirrus D38, Adria CRJ & Captain Niki Lauda On Duty (by PlaneHunter Jul 27 2010 in Trip Reports) Monarch Hot Meal, E195 & More: PMI-ALC-MAN-MUC (by PlaneHunter Jul 4 2010 in Trip Reports) Premium Meal & Palma Spotting: MUC-PMI, DE 757-300 (by PlaneHunter Jun 6 2010 in Trip Reports) The Dead Slow Transfer: PEK-MUC On Air China A332 (by PlaneHunter May 29 2010 in Trip Reports) Cancellation Brings Joy: HKG-PEK On Dragonair A330 (by PlaneHunter May 21 2010 in Trip Reports) A380 Cacophony, 777 Star Livery: DXB-SIN-HKG On SQ (by PlaneHunter May 1 2010 in Trip Reports) The Next 5* Carrier? MUC-MCT-DXB, Oman Air A330 (by PlaneHunter Mar 25 2010 in Trip Reports) Turkey For 1.5 Hrs: Daytrip To AYT On Sky Airlines (by PlaneHunter Mar 13 2010 in Trip Reports) CO Scores Again: ATL-IAH-EWR-FRA On ERJ, 752 & 764 (by PlaneHunter Mar 6 2010 in Trip Reports) Riding The Ultra Long-Haul Twin: Delta 777-200LR (by planehunter Feb 12 2010 in Trip Reports) Pacific Coast Jaunt: 3 Carriers, E120, E140 & Fog (by PlaneHunter Jan 30 2010 in Trip Reports) The Ultimate 737: LHR-IAH-PDX On CO 777 & 739ER (by PlaneHunter Jan 6 2010 in Trip Reports) Bye Bye, Hell! TRD-OSL-TXL-NUE - DY/AB/HE DH4 (by PlaneHunter Dec 13 2009 in Trip Reports) My Trip To Hell: NUE-CPH-OSL-TRD On Cimber & SAS (by PlaneHunter Nov 21 2009 in Trip Reports) SFO-YUL-FRA: Map- & Sleepless On Air Canada's 77W (by PlaneHunter Nov 10 2009 in Trip Reports) Sin City Gloss & Virgin America's Chic First Class (by PlaneHunter Oct 30 2009 in Trip Reports) Seat Dilemma & Canyon Glamour: FRA To LAX, AC 763 (by PlaneHunter Oct 11 2009 in Trip Reports) On Par With Air France? DTW-AMS-MUC, KLM A330 (by PlaneHunter Oct 3 2009 in Trip Reports) Goodbye, Red Tails! DC-9-40/50 & Chicago Tour (by PlaneHunter Aug 27 2009 in Trip Reports) Champagne & World Of Coke: Air France A340 To ATL (by PlaneHunter Jul 19 2009 in Trip Reports) "Mission A380": Disappointing Legs On BA/BD/EI (by PlaneHunter May 30 2009 in Trip Reports) Delights Of Doha, 773 & 77W: DOH-DXB-LHR On EK (by PlaneHunter Apr 23 2009 in Trip Reports) A380 Really A Step Forward? LHR-DXB-DOH On EK (by PlaneHunter Mar 25 2009 in Trip Reports) Quality & Style: HKG-LHR On Air New Zealand 744 (by PlaneHunter Mar 10 2009 in Trip Reports) Taiwan Trio: TransAsia, UNI Air And The Taipei 101 (by PlaneHunter Feb 21 2009 in Trip Reports) "The Wings Of Taiwan": EVA Air A332, 744 Combi (by PlaneHunter Jan 31 2009 in Trip Reports) SHA-SZX, Shanghai 757: Delayed By The Military (by PlaneHunter Jan 6 2009 in Trip Reports) PEK-SHA, China Eastern A330 & Shanghai At Night (by PlaneHunter Dec 13 2008 in Trip Reports) Striking Newcomer: Berlin-Beijing On Hainan A330 (by PlaneHunter Nov 22 2008 in Trip Reports)

[Edited 2014-03-15 06:34:37]

Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:12 pm

Another good report, Plane Hunter!

Quoting PlaneHunter (Thread starter):
There were numerous interesting Star Alliance combos and I even found options including a product which I was absolutely keen on: Austrian Airlines' new lie-flat Business Class.

Glad you had a decent flight with Austrian. Sorry to hear about the service you had with them, not being as good as you were hoping. I remember flying them in "Grand Class" back in 1999 when they used an A340 on that JFK-VIE route. I found them to be fantastic - but it was also my first time in a premium cabin, so hard to compare ...  

Looking forward to your next trip!

Matthew
I love to fly!

OA260

Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:20 pm

Hey Udo  

Nice report and interesting to see the OS J Product. I have to say I quite like it. Meals look good too . I always found the meals on OS to be pleasant.

Shame you didnt find the crew a bit more pro active.

Nice pics as always.

Regards

Philip  

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:42 pm

Quoting 767747 (Reply 7):
Another good report, Plane Hunter!

Hi Matthew, many thanks for your comments!

Sorry to hear about the service you had with them, not being as good as you were hoping.

Well, I had expected OS' service to beat AC's easily, but reality proved me wrong.

I remember flying them in "Grand Class" back in 1999 when they used an A340 on that JFK-VIE route. I found them to be fantastic

Sounds great!

Looking forward to your next trip!

Another USA series to follow soon...

Quoting OA260 (Reply 8):
Nice report and interesting to see the OS J Product.
Quoting OA260 (Reply 8):
Nice pics as always.

Hi Philip,

thanks a lot for your feedback! Good to hear you liked it.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 8):
I have to say I quite like it. Meals look good too . I always found the meals on OS to be pleasant.

Food quality was excellent as expected.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 8):
Shame you didnt find the crew a bit more pro active.

Well, it wasn't OS' most charming crew...

PH

dirktraveller

Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:16 pm

Hi Planehunter,

Great to see another report of yours, which is excellent as usual! Austrian Business Class does look great, especially in terms of their latest hard product.

"This is for the upper class!"

Not the first time I had heard such comments. I was once in a GA J B738, and then there was a mother and her kid passed through the J section as they boarded. His kid was pointing to the J seat and the mother just told him "your dream sweetie, we don't belong here!"

"flying chef", a very young guy, handed out a classic menu card plus a breakfast order sheet

Good to hear they have flying chef. The breakfast order sheet looks efficient, although personally I would have preferred someone taking my orders if I was in J class.

Now it about time to turn my seat into a fully flat bed

Looks like a good night sleep, haha? I like blue colour, but somehow I don't see how the blue pillow and the checkered-theme blanket does fit the black-and-red seat very well.

I was offered a very tasty smoothie

Smoothie on a flight? Did it taste good? Don't really see that often being served in-flight. Liked the design of the glass used to served the smoothie btw.

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 4):
The more windows, the better:

Nice pictures of the sunrise you had there! Even better when you had more windows to enjoy one of the best things while flying.

That's good to hear, breakfast look well-presented indeed.

Thank you for sharing this one, PH. It has been an enjoyable read.

Regards,
Dirktraveller

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:29 pm

Quoting dirktraveller (Reply 10):
Great to see another report of yours, which is excellent as usual!

Hi dirktraveller, thank you very much for your comments! I'm glad you enjoyed reading.

Austrian Business Class does look great, especially in terms of their latest hard product.

I like the staggered layouts, convenient for both single travellers and pairs.

Not the first time I had heard such comments. I was once in a GA J B738, and then there was a mother and her kid passed through the J section as they boarded. His kid was pointing to the J seat and the mother just told him "your dream sweetie, we don't belong here!"

Good to hear they have flying chef.

Well, it's more or less an FA.

The breakfast order sheet looks efficient, although personally I would have preferred someone taking my orders if I was in J class.

I liked that concept.

Looks like a good night sleep, haha?

To be honest, I felt more comfortable on Air Canada.

I like blue colour, but somehow I don't see how the blue pillow and the checkered-theme blanket does fit the black-and-red seat very well.

I found that contrast quite nice.

Smoothie on a flight? Did it taste good? Don't really see that often being served in-flight. Liked the design of the glass used to served the smoothie btw.

It was really tasty - probably freshly made by the chef.

Nice pictures of the sunrise you had there!

Always a highlight!

Thank you for sharing this one, PH. It has been an enjoyable read.

Thanks again!

PH

Flightsimboy

Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:34 pm

Hey PH,

so-called "thrones"

Do they address passengers as Kings and Queens!

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 1):

Boeing 777-2Z9ER
OE-LPA (s/n 087), named "Sound of Music"

How wonderful...Even better to have had that on the IFE.

Sunday, August 2013
New York (JFK) - Vienna (VIE)
Austrian Airlines OS088, operated by Tyrolean Airways

Since when?

after receiving a friendly, but impersonal welcome by some flight attendants. Unfortunately, I would keep noticing a lack of warmth among the crew throughout the whole flight...

That's a shame...I thought AU was really good in their service.

Makes it feel and look even better when you compare the two seats behind, and this truly feels like a throne with just one.

Spotting equipment perfectly stored:   

Hopefully you did not use it on the flight and get some weird looks...might have had to stretch to get to the window with that huge gap between the window and your seat.

PlaneHunter in action:

Nice to see another perspective, other than just the pants and shoes otherwise!

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 2):
I have never liked the 767's appearance, but it looks nice from this perspective:

We get these daily at YYZ....the winglets look good on some, not on others.

Now tell me - what's missing here?

Water landing?

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 3):

Anyway, here's the starter which was not just an optical delight

It sure is an optical delight...very nicely presented.

stripes of pancakes:

stripes of pancakes...never heard of that before.

Sounds excellent, doesn't it?

Prawn curry,would never have expected to see that on Austrian

The presentation was just poor in comparison - I guess the on-board chef wouldn't have been amused about that. He would have been the right person to do the plating.

Looks like they were trying to rush to get the meal service over with and plonked that all down on the plate

In addition to DO&CO catering, Austrian is known for its "coffee house service above the clouds". Here's the dedicated menu card:

A coffee junkie would have the ultimate fix up there over the clouds!!

One final cabin shot:

Nice to see the Austrian colours from the outside, also on the inside of the aircraft.
LAX772LR - "Answer to goofy question:" in response to my question about the B737-MAX8 being grounded. 48 hours later all B737-MAX8 grounded worldwide. Go figure!!

ab486

Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:42 pm

A very enjoyable read, Planehunter

Austrian look decent here, but a shame regarding the crew. It is often the crews that can make a flight memorable, even if the other aspects weren't too great.

Thanks again

Adam

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:54 pm

Hi flightsimboy,

many thanks for your ever entertaining feedback!   

Quoting flightsimboy (Reply 12):
Do they address passengers as Kings and Queens!

Not yet!  

Since when?

Since July 2012...cost cutting measures. That means OS as operating carrier is missing in my log. But at least the AOC does still exist. You never know...

That's a shame...I thought AU was really good in their service.

Yes, I was really disappointed.

Makes it feel and look even better when you compare the two seats behind, and this truly feels like a throne with just one.

You find very similar thrones on Swiss and Brussels Airlines.

Hopefully you did not use it on the flight and get some weird looks...

No other passenger could see me.

Nice to see another perspective, other than just the pants and shoes otherwise!

Yes, but don't expect to see more.  

We get these daily at YYZ....the winglets look good on some, not on others.

Water landing?

Oh no!

stripes of pancakes...never heard of that before.

Quite popular in Austria and Bavaria.

Prawn curry,would never have expected to see that on Austrian

Well, the catering was indeed amazing.

Looks like they were trying to rush to get the meal service over with and plonked that all down on the plate

Yes, probably. Quite disappointing.

A coffee junkie would have the ultimate fix up there over the clouds!!

Sure, I'd have tried one or two more on a day flight.

Nice to see the Austrian colours from the outside, also on the inside of the aircraft.

Quoting ab486 (Reply 13):
A very enjoyable read, Planehunter

Hi Adam,

thanks for your reply, good to hear you enjoyed it.

Quoting ab486 (Reply 13):
Austrian look decent here, but a shame regarding the crew. It is often the crews that can make a flight memorable, even if the other aspects weren't too great.

Absolutely - the MUC-YYZ sector on the same journey was such a memorable flight, thanks to a great FA.

PH

gabrielchew

Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:03 pm

Very nice report Udo! OS seem to be keeping it together!

The "flying chef", a very young guy, handed out a classic menu card plus a breakfast order sheet:

Ah, nice way to offer breakfast...a good clear menu

"New York is showing its very worst side today", he said and added that we would have to wait at least another 30 minutes. Embarrassment

I was surpised a few weeks ago flying EWR-FRA that there were no delays at all. I guess JFK is a bit busier

Austrian doesn't serve ginger ale, but "Almdudler", a popular Austrian herbal lemonade which tastes quite good:

Ah, I drank a lot of that over New Year in Austria....how do you like it?

...which was served with an ice cube. How come? After my request, the purser told me with regret that the champagne hadn't been cooled properly for whatever reason. "So I'll just add an ice cube", he said and did exactly that without waiting for my reaction. Well, it still tasted alright, but I prefer to drink it straight.

Hmm, champagne on ice, not in it! Surely this is something the crew should have realised in the 2 hours they were onboard before the meal service??!

I read another report recently where they said the same thing. Great presentation apart from the desert!

This might be of interest...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoD3QvcBAvM

The flight was uneventful, but I really enjoyed the friendly service. I can only praise these two flight attendants - and the tasty breakfast I got:

Mm, looks good. Lucky you made the short connection
http://my.flightmemory.com/shefgab Upcoming flights: AMS-RIX-BUD-VDA,ETH-TLV-FCO-LHR,STN-TXL-LCY,LTN-CPH-LTN,LGW-SZG,MUC-LHR

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:12 pm

Quoting gabrielchew (Reply 15):
Very nice report Udo!

Hi Gabriel,

thanks for your feedback!

Ah, nice way to offer breakfast...a good clear menu

Yes, I liked that concept. Even though it might be too early for some people to make a choice.

I was surpised a few weeks ago flying EWR-FRA that there were no delays at all. I guess JFK is a bit busier

Good to hear. JFK is a mess it seems...

Ah, I drank a lot of that over New Year in Austria....how do you like it?

It's a bit sweet, but otherwise a good alternative to the usual stuff.

Hmm, champagne on ice, not in it! Surely this is something the crew should have realised in the 2 hours they were onboard before the meal service??!

Yes, I found that odd.

I read another report recently where they said the same thing. Great presentation apart from the desert!

That's not the way it should be!

This might be of interest...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoD3QvcBAvM

Thanks, cool video!

Mm, looks good. Lucky you made the short connection

Yes, I was lucky. Unfortunately it hadn't been possible to choose a later connecting flight - but I really wanted to get on that 777 flight, it was worth taking the risk. I'll have to check the lounges during a future visit.

PH

[Edited 2014-03-15 09:13:21]

lychemsa

Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:21 pm

The Austrian Airline crews are cold. This is based on my 6 flights with them. However the last one was in the early 1990s.

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:29 pm

Quoting lychemsa (Reply 17):
The Austrian Airline crews are cold. This is based on my 6 flights with them. However the last one was in the early 1990s.

All of them long-haul flights?

PH

ardian

Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:45 pm

Great trip report! I always enjoy reading trip reports from Austrian, as their catering is simply superb and the great coffee menu they offer. Too bad they didn't pick the same colour scheme from their old C-class (wood, purple, green). This new C-class looks definitely more 'royal', but their old one was really reminiscent of Austria.

Too bad you received such mediocre service. And adding an ice cube to champaigne is definitely a faux pas, especially without even asking for your permission.

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:50 pm

Quoting ardian (Reply 19):
Great trip report!

Hi Douglas,

thanks for leaving a reply! Good to hear you enjoyed it.

always enjoy reading trip reports from Austrian, as their catering is simply superb and the great coffee menu they offer.

Too bad they didn't pick the same colour scheme from their old C-class (wood, purple, green). This new C-class looks definitely more 'royal', but their old one was really reminiscent of Austria.

I agree, the old color mix was nice.

Too bad you received such mediocre service. And adding an ice cube to champaigne is definitely a faux pas, especially without even asking for your permission.

Well, I can only hope it was just bad luck.

PH

daviation

Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:50 am

This is a beautiful trip report! It's a coincidence that I've been examining a EWR-VIE flight for next Autumn. I travel to Israel usually once a year, and I prefer a nonstop flight. But my paternal family is originally from Austria and it was my father's dream to someday visit Austria. For me, I would love to visit the Vienna State Opera and Vienna Philharmonic - so I looked at a JFK-VIE-TLV routing and discovered it is the same price as a nonstop. Furthermore, I discovered that Austrian operates EWR-VIE-TLV-EWR (the last sector on UA). The EWR-VIE flight is a 767.

So my question is: are Austrian's 767s in economy a worthwhile trip? Can I see the major sights of Vienna in perhaps three days? I would probably not venture beyond Vienna to visit my grandfather's birthplace because, as Jews, well, it's an unfortunate history, as everyone knows.

Thank you for a lovely report.
PlaneFlown:717,727,737,747,757,767,777,DC8,DC9,DC10,L1011,F100,A300,319,320,321,330,340,CRJ,ERJ,E190,Av85,DH8,Beaver,ATR

hoons90

Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:59 am

Another fantastic trip report from PlaneHunter!

And here it is - Austrian's 777-2Z9ER OE-LPA, one of four frames in the fleet back then, first delivered to Lauda Air more than 16 years ago:

It's hard to believe that the 777 has been around for so long now!

There was a decent range of food and drinks…

Looks great for an outstation lounge.

Austrian chose 15-inch touch screen monitors - unfortunately, the surface is highly reflective:

Almost as reflective as the iPad! I'm trying the RAVE system for the first time on Air Berlin in May, hopefully it doesn't malfunction as often as the Panasonic ones.

At 18:39, the captain made another announcement: "New York is showing its very worst side today", he said and added that we would have to wait at least another 30 minutes. Embarrassment

I remember flying jetBlue from JFK to BUF, and the queue to take off was longer than the flight itself!

How come? After my request, the purser told me with regret that the champagne hadn't been cooled properly for whatever reason. "So I'll just add an ice cube", he said and did exactly that without waiting for my reaction.

The purser seems a bit presumptuous there...

And here's the impressive main course, fillet of beef with truffle mousseline and grilled asparagus - wow!

Any airline that can master steak in the air wins in my book!

Once again, what a great read and thank you for posting this excellent trip report!
The biggest mistake made by most human beings: Listening to only half, understanding just a quarter and telling double.

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:39 am

Quoting daviation (Reply 21):
This is a beautiful trip report!

Hi daviation,

thanks a lot for your feedback! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

It's a coincidence that I've been examining a EWR-VIE flight for next Autumn. I travel to Israel usually once a year, and I prefer a nonstop flight. But my paternal family is originally from Austria and it was my father's dream to someday visit Austria.

Nice! Great idea to make a visit to Austria on the way.

For me, I would love to visit the Vienna State Opera and Vienna Philharmonic - so I looked at a JFK-VIE-TLV routing and discovered it is the same price as a nonstop. Furthermore, I discovered that Austrian operates EWR-VIE-TLV-EWR (the last sector on UA). The EWR-VIE flight is a 767.

Sounds like an interesting itinerary!

are Austrian's 767s in economy a worthwhile trip?

Yes! Have a look at Sultanils excellent report:
WAW!strian Airlines B763 'new' Y: DXB-VIE-BRU (by Sultanils Mar 4 2014 in Trip Reports)

I'd definitely prefer OS' 767 over the company's 777 in Y Class: 2-3-2 seating vs 3-4-3 seating.

Can I see the major sights of Vienna in perhaps three days? I would probably not venture beyond Vienna to visit my grandfather's birthplace because, as Jews, well, it's an unfortunate history, as everyone knows.

Three days should be enough for Vienna itself, but I'd add one more day if you want to visit your grandfather's birthplace. I'd take the chance and go there.

Thank you for a lovely report.

Thanks again for your comments!

Quoting HOONS90 (Reply 22):
Another fantastic trip report from PlaneHunter!

Hi HOONS90,

thank you very much for your reply! Good to hear from you!

It's hard to believe that the 777 has been around for so long now!

Looks great for an outstation lounge.

Absolutely. Very nice place.

Almost as reflective as the iPad! I'm trying the RAVE system for the first time on Air Berlin in May, hopefully it doesn't malfunction as often as the Panasonic ones.

I wish you luck! OS' IFE worked fine.

I remember flying jetBlue from JFK to BUF, and the queue to take off was longer than the flight itself!

Crazy!

The purser seems a bit presumptuous there...

Absolutely.

Any airline that can master steak in the air wins in my book!

Yes, I can only agree.

Once again, what a great read and thank you for posting this excellent trip report!

Thanks again for your feedback. I'm glad you liked it.

PH

[Edited 2014-03-16 01:41:14]

roberts87

Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:38 pm

Hello PH,

Great report as always! Looks like you had a pleasant experience on OS. So in the end, looking back, which one won it for you, AC or OS?

Knightsofmalta

Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:27 pm

Hi Udo

Thanks for the lovely report. Now I know what to expect when I try them on long-haul in June. The catering looks excellent, both in terms of quantity and quality.

I also rather like the colours used in the cabin for things like the pillow and blanket. But I'm really not a fan of those seats. I have the same problem, with my feet not really fitting either. I also think that OS is a bit late in rolling out this new cabin. It's definitely not the newest product out there and it can hardly keep up with the likes of CX or SQ.

All in all, the only thing that appears to be a bit off with OS is the cabin crew. Your experience is very similar to the one I made when I flew to LCA in Business Class with OS. The weren't rude or anything like that, just very bland and rather boring, with little or no interaction with the passengers.

In any case, thanks for posting.

Cheers,
William

thegivenone

Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:23 pm

Hi Udo,

How exciting to see two longhaul reports from my home airline trending on the forums   Thanks so much for a great report, which perfectly complements sultanils' account of the new longhaul economy product from DXB-VIE.

Austrian's new hard product looks great and the whole aircraft, once again, in immaculate condition. Austrian Technik does quite a stellar job at these refurbishments, so I look forward to seeing what they make out of the stripped VN 777 that is currently in the hanger.

A few bits and pieces like the Frittatensuppe and an Almdudler made this flight uniquely and charmingly Austrian. I am also impressed by the amenities including the blanket, pillow and the kit. Do & Co catering looks unsurprisingly top-notch.

Quoting knightsofmalta (Reply 25):
All in all, the only thing that appears to be a bit off with OS is the cabin crew. Your experience is very similar to the one I made when I flew to LCA in Business Class with OS. The weren't rude or anything like that, just very bland and rather boring, with little or no interaction with the passengers.

This really does seem to be the current sentiment about OS crew. I do hope that the situation improves (probably partly a company moral and partly a crew training issue) improves soon so that Austrian can develop in a truly competitive quality carrier.

Thanks again for a great report!
-Ollie

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:33 am

Quoting roberts87 (Reply 24):
Great report as always!

Hi Robert,

thank you for your comments!

Looks like you had a pleasant experience on OS.

So in the end, looking back, which one won it for you, AC or OS?

Other than expected, the AC flight was the better one.

Thanks for the lovely report.

Hi William,

thanks for your feedback! Good to hear from you.

Now I know what to expect when I try them on long-haul in June.

I think you made a good choice. When choosing OS, you don't have to worry about getting an old or new cabin. In contrast to LH, the whole fleet has been refurbished.

The catering looks excellent, both in terms of quantity and quality.

I also rather like the colours used in the cabin for things like the pillow and blanket.

Yes, I can only agree.

But I'm really not a fan of those seats. I have the same problem, with my feet not really fitting either. I also think that OS is a bit late in rolling out this new cabin. It's definitely not the newest product out there and it can hardly keep up with the likes of CX or SQ.
CX and SQ are in a class of their own. Especially SQ's seats take away lots of space - most carrier could never make money with such a luxurious layout. The staggered layout used by LX, OS and some others is better than classic layouts (e.g. 2-2-2) - but yes, there are certainly some weaknesses. I still need to try LH's new J Class. Have you tried that yet?

Unbelievable how many people notice that - OS seriously has a problem. I'll have a look at your LCA report later.

Quoting thegivenone (Reply 26):
How exciting to see two longhaul reports from my home airline trending on the forums

Servus Ollie,

thank you very much for your comments!

Thanks so much for a great report, which perfectly complements sultanils' account of the new longhaul economy product from DXB-VIE.

Nice coincident!

Austrian's new hard product looks great and the whole aircraft, once again, in immaculate condition.

Except for the lavatory - that didn't look refurbished.

Austrian Technik does quite a stellar job at these refurbishments, so I look forward to seeing what they make out of the stripped VN 777 that is currently in the hanger.

I'm very glad that OS keeps expanding the 777 fleet. But I have heard there won't be a crew rest on that ex-VN aircraft for the time being and therefore it will most likely not be used on Asian routes.

A few bits and pieces like the Frittatensuppe and an Almdudler made this flight uniquely and charmingly Austrian.

Absolutely!

I am also impressed by the amenities including the blanket, pillow and the kit. Do & Co catering looks unsurprisingly top-notch.

This really does seem to be the current sentiment about OS crew. I do hope that the situation improves (probably partly a company moral and partly a crew training issue) improves soon so that Austrian can develop in a truly competitive quality carrier.

Yes, I hope the situation will improve.

Thanks again for a great report!

Thanks again!

PH

[Edited 2014-03-17 00:35:09]

sultanils

Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:57 pm

PlaneHunter,

I finally found some time to read and comment this excellent piece. Well narrated and pictured, nothing else expected from you   Good to see the business class in a whole, since on my trip from DXB I only had a small glimpse of this cabin. Looks nice and stylish definitely! I’m glad Austrian took its sweet time to do the ‘renovation’, it seems well thought trough.

Allow me to share some remarks,

Quote:
I entered my data on the Miles&More website and got access to the seat maps.

You should enlighten me a bit here since I’m quite a novice. Can any M&M member reserve seats on longhaul flights, in Y as well?

Quote:
so-called "thrones" on the left were still available.

Ah, you played ‘Game Of Thrones’ then  (if that rings a bell).

Quote:
However, it's recommended to be discrete.

Yeah, in the US, everyone is suspected of ‘terrorism’, even those with binoculars and pocket cemaras   Better safe than sorry, I know. I was discrete as well in the Middle East.

Quote:
Austrian's 777-2Z9ER OE-LPA, one of four frames in the fleet back then, first delivered to Lauda Air more than 16 years ago

What a coincidence as I flew that exact frame to KUL in the Lauda Air days. Good times!

Quote:
after receiving a friendly, but impersonal welcome by some flight attendants. Unfortunately, I would keep noticing a lack of warmth among the crew throughout the whole flight...

Sounds familiar unfortunately...

Quote:
Back to the hardware - very classy cabin, isn't it?

It really is. So did you also go through the Y cabin?

Quote:
but it looks nice from this perspective

I’m with you. I’m not a fan of the B767 but the wingleted version does have something errr... sexy?

Quote:
Yes, of course, OE-LPB. Why? All Austrian Airlines aircraft, except for OE-LPB, have been operated by Tyrolean Airways since July 1, 2012. OE-LPB was kept on the Austrian Airlines air operator certificate to maintain it as an operating airline. Who knows what will happen in the future..

Interesting trivium (scratchchin}

Quote:
Noise-cancelling headphones for all people who can't stand the raw 777 sound...

Are you suggesting that you didn’t use them then 

Quote:
Breakfast was fine both in terms of quality and quantity

Another familiar sight. I’m a but surprised to see the same tray as one would expect an ‘upgraded’ breakfast in the business class cabin? Anyway, it was a good brekkie!

Quote:
Just click here to have a look at his report including the breakfast picture

Tnx for the reference  

Quote:
nd the tasty breakfast I got:

That looks very good and original   

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:20 am

Quoting sultanils (Reply 28):
I finally found some time to read and comment this excellent piece. Well narrated and pictured, nothing else expected from you

Hi Nils,

thank you very much for your comments! I'm glad you liked it.

Looks nice and stylish definitely! I’m glad Austrian took its sweet time to do the ‘renovation’, it seems well thought trough.

You should enlighten me a bit here since I’m quite a novice. Can any M&M member reserve seats on longhaul flights, in Y as well?

It may be possible on certain carriers, but LH has recently introduced a fee for that. It's free of charge in Business, though.

Yeah, in the US, everyone is suspected of ‘terrorism’, even those with binoculars and pocket cemaras Better safe than sorry, I know. I was discrete as well in the Middle East.

Yes, being discrete is very important in certain countries.

What a coincidence as I flew that exact frame to KUL in the Lauda Air days. Good times!

Nice! Good old times.

Sounds familiar unfortunately...

Really disappointing!

It really is. So did you also go through the Y cabin?

No, I didn't find any time somehow. Time flew by!

I’m with you. I’m not a fan of the B767 but the wingleted version does have something errr... sexy?

Well, a bit...from behind.  

Are you suggesting that you didn’t use them then

Exactly!  

Another familiar sight. I’m a but surprised to see the same tray as one would expect an ‘upgraded’ breakfast in the business class cabin? Anyway, it was a good brekkie!

Well, I could have added some items, but it was enough.

Tnx for the reference

My pleasure!

That looks very good and original

Absolutely!

PH

jwhite9185

Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:32 pm

Hi there PH, Nice report as usual. Shame to hear about the delay getting out of JFK, but I've heard that sort of thing isn't too uncommon. Not what you want when you have a connection to make, but it aloo worked out in the end - just!

Austrian (or Tyrolean) look pretty good in business actually - good that they have the option of a single seat whilst still maintaining a traditional layout.

The food looks great also.
@mytripreport

The777Man

Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:38 am

Hi PlaneHunter!

Thanks for an amazing report with amazing pictures !

Great to to see you try Austrian in Business Class.

Here's the staggered Business Class layout:

That's a very odd layout; unusual with different number of seats across for each row.

I could have selected 1A, but in order to increase privacy, I chose 9A in the smaller Business Class section close to the wing and the mighty GE90 engine.

I much prefer 1A where you can look back into the engine.  

It looks odd with all that space to the side. Nice with no one next to you though.

Finally, 1 hour and 19 minutes

That's a bit longer than normal but departures at that time of day frequently have a taxi time of 45 mins or more due to traffic. I don't mind too much since it's nice for spotting.

I found the seat cushion very comfortable and couldn't complain about the bed's width either, but there was not enough space for my feet in that relatively narrow compartment - taking off the shoes didn't help much, btw:

That's not good. They should have made the compartment wider.

Looks great!

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 5):
I have said many times that Lufthansa's inflight magazine is probably the world's best...

I disagree with that; the LH Magazine is very thin. I much prefer the AF Magazine, at least the way it used to be. I'm not sure what it looks like now.

Very much looking forward to your next report!

The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

Knightsofmalta

Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:38 pm

Hi Udo

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 27):
I still need to try LH's new J Class. Have you tried that yet?

No I haven't. But from what you hear the design looks nice. But you might just end up playing footsie with the person the next seat.

Cheers,
William

jfidler

Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:39 pm

Great report. I flew IAD-VIE on their new C-class (but on a 767) a few months ago, and was very impressed.

Regarding the breakfast, is there a reason you didn't choose the sunny-side up eggs? I chose those, and they were freshly made, resulting in the best airplane breakfast I've had (can't beat fresh!). The only downside to ordering that is it took a while to receive that portion of the breakfast as a few other passengers had also ordered them, and they're made to order.

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:53 am

Quoting jwhite9185 (Reply 30):
Hi there PH, Nice report as usual.

Hi James,

thanks for your reply!

Shame to hear about the delay getting out of JFK, but I've heard that sort of thing isn't too uncommon.

Unfortunately, yes. There are too many tiny planes around...

Austrian (or Tyrolean) look pretty good in business actually - good that they have the option of a single seat whilst still maintaining a traditional layout.

That's what I like most - single seats are just great when traveling alone.

The food looks great also.

Quoting The777Man (Reply 31):

Thanks for an amazing report with amazing pictures !

Hi Lars,

thanks a lot for your comments! I'm glad you liked it.

Great to to see you try Austrian in Business Class.

That had been on my agenda since they presented the new seats.

That's a very odd layout; unusual with different number of seats across for each row.

That layout is perfect for single travellers and pairs. It's more or less the same on SWISS and Brussels Airlines.

I much prefer 1A where you can look back into the engine.

I have never liked first rows.

That's not good. They should have made the compartment wider.

I disagree with that; the LH Magazine is very thin. I much prefer the AF Magazine, at least the way it used to be. I'm not sure what it looks like now.

It's thinner than others, but full of high-quality articles.

Very much looking forward to your next report!

I still need to start working on it.

Quoting Knightsofmalta (Reply 32):
No I haven't. But from what you hear the design looks nice. But you might just end up playing footsie with the person the next seat.

Yes, that's what has been reported many times. Unfortunately, there aren't any single seats.

Quoting jfidler (Reply 33):
Great report.

Thanks for your comments, jfidler!

I flew IAD-VIE on their new C-class (but on a 767) a few months ago, and was very impressed.

Sounds good!

Regarding the breakfast, is there a reason you didn't choose the sunny-side up eggs? I chose those, and they were freshly made, resulting in the best airplane breakfast I've had (can't beat fresh!).

Yes, I should have ordered the other option. Anyway, I will keep that in mind for a future trip on OS.

PH

invaders

Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:55 pm

Great and detailed report

That sure looks comfortable, even tho its a bit sad to see how many miles they are ahead of their *Alliance partner SK.. :/

I also overheard some negative comments, obviously driven by envy, and one lady disdainfully said: "This is for the upper class!"

In my book, you are in the upper class once you enter a plane from USA to Europe. From there and up to a business-class cabin it doesnt have to be such a big investment. Given the quality of the product austrian offers, it sure looks like it is well worth the money spent. I have never flown Austrian, but I sure would like to try their product one day.

Thanks again for the great report, looking forward to the next one  

christao17

Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:14 am

Very nice report. The new J class sure looks nice on OS! One thing I particularly like is that there are actual pairs of seats for people traveling together. So many J classes these days are divided into isolated pods that people traveling together are out of luck.
More than a dozen years flying in and around Asia...

The777Man

Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:07 am

Hi PlaneHunter!

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 34):
I have never liked first rows.
It's thinner than others, but full of high-quality articles.

Completely disagree with you on the above.

I still need to start working on it.

Take your time; it's always worth the wait when the report is ready!

The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:56 pm

Quoting invaders (Reply 35):
Great and detailed report

Many thanks for your comments, invaders!

That sure looks comfortable, even tho its a bit sad to see how many miles they are ahead of their *Alliance partner SK.. :/

No new J Class product planned by SK?

Given the quality of the product austrian offers, it sure looks like it is well worth the money spent.

I have never flown Austrian, but I sure would like to try their product one day.

Yes, I can only recommend it.

Thanks again for the great report, looking forward to the next one

My pleasure. Swiss long-haul J Class will be featured next.

Quoting christao17 (Reply 36):
Very nice report.

Thanks, Chris!

The new J class sure looks nice on OS!

One thing I particularly like is that there are actual pairs of seats for people traveling together. So many J classes these days are divided into isolated pods that people traveling together are out of luck.

Yes, I like layouts with both single seats and pairs of seats.

Quoting The777Man (Reply 37):
Completely disagree with you on the above.

Come on, LH's magazine is great.

Quoting The777Man (Reply 37):
Take your time; it's always worth the wait when the report is ready!

Good to hear, thanks!

PH

The777Man

Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:35 pm

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 38):
Come on, LH's magazine is great.

It's a very good magazine but not the best one out there. There are others that are just as good if not even better.

It's too thin and not enough articles on destinations but it has gotten better in recent years.

Just a difference of opinion.

The777Man

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:56 am

Quoting The777Man (Reply 39):
It's a very good magazine but not the best one out there. There are others that are just as good if not even better.

I like the high-quality articles - and the fleet information section is always flawless.

PH

adamspotter

Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:14 pm

Hello PH,

Another fantastic report you made here with many nice pictures, really enjoyed it!!  
What a great idea to try out OS' new Business Class product. After reading Sultanils' great report on Austrians new Y class product it's great to see a report about their new J class..
I have to say it looks very impressive, those "thrones" are great and definitely better than the "2 seaters"   The seat looks very nice and comfortable, although that cubbyhole does look quite small indeed (I don't see my big feet fitting in there )
The food looks delicious (as is to be expected from Do&Co), shame the FAs lacked the warmth..
Good to see you made your connection despite the famous traffic jam at JFK 
I could have selected 1A, but in order to increase privacy, I chose 9A in the smaller Business Class section close to the wing and the mighty GE90 engine. thumbsup

What a great choice, nicely chosen!

went to the gate area which is not bad for spotting. However, it's recommended to be discrete.

Yes indeed, you never know at JFK..

Yes, of course, OE-LPB. Why? All Austrian Airlines aircraft, except for OE-LPB, have been operated by Tyrolean Airways since July 1, 2012. OE-LPB was kept on the Austrian Airlines air operator certificate to maintain it as an operating airline. Who knows what will happen in the future...

So OE-LPB has it's own safety card?

What a scenery

Only in NYC 
I found it strange that nuts and drinks hadn't been served much earlier. So all that arrived some 10 minutes or so before the first course

That is quite strange, wonder if this is normal or just a delay of service..?

Couldn't agree more, it's one of the best out there!

Thanks for sharing another masterpiece!

cheers,

Brendan

eastafspot

Fri May 09, 2014 11:20 pm

Splendid report as usual with excellent pictures and information  

The cabin, seat and catering are really impressive, it looks like OS is upping its game. 1h20 wait that's too long thanksfully you caught your LH flight!

Do you just write the regs or do you take pictures too?

I also overheard some negative comments, obviously driven by envy, and one lady disdainfully said: "This is for the upper class!"  

haha very true, it's easier to hear this type of comment when you are currently in that seat rather than having to follow this jealous travellers far to the back...   .

Many thanks for sharing
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !

airbuseric

Sun May 11, 2014 5:01 pm

PH,

a very enjoyable read on OS. I did fly on LPA as well, SIN-VIE was my route a few years ago.

Unfortunately, I would keep noticing a lack of warmth among the crew throughout the whole flight...

Also my impression with OS crews, unfortunately. Crew is what makes a difference, and those Austrians should learn their lessons.

Though, I do like the catering/drinks on your flight, and the seat looks comfy enough. For the eye, I like other designed seats more, but that's just a matter of personal taste.

Regards
Eric
"The whole world steps aside for the man who knows where he is going"

abrelosojos

Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:26 am

Thanks for taking the time to write up on the new OS JCL. I think the new seats look great, and are a significant improvement on what they had before. I was not surprised about OS missing the small touches and the human element ... no wonder, they continue to be the weakest member of the OS group. What LH saw in them remains a mystery. I just can't see them being profitable except the Germany - Austria kind of flying.

Boarding commenced on time and I could finally enter Austrian's new Business Class cabin - after receiving a friendly, but impersonal welcome by some flight attendants. Unfortunately, I would keep noticing a lack of warmth among the crew throughout the whole flight...

= This has also been my experience with OS. Do you think Austrians are generally less personal?

Amenity kit pouch made from felt:

= Oh God. This must be the longest running amenity kit out there!

..which was served with an ice cube. How come? After my request, the purser told me with regret that the champagne hadn't been cooled properly for whatever reason. "So I'll just add an ice cube", he said and did exactly that without waiting for my reaction. Well, it still tasted alright, but I prefer to drink it straight.

= DISGUSTING. I have had beer with ice and red wine, but champagne?! And, without asking?!

The self-service corner in the Business Class galley didn't leave a very good impression:

= That is really poor!

Oh well. Thankfully, it could have been worse. You could have been in YCL!

Saludos,
Alex
Live, and let live.

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:35 pm

Quoting adamspotter (Reply 41):
Another fantastic report you made here with many nice pictures, really enjoyed it!!

Hi Brendan, many thanks for your nice comments! Sorry for the delayed reply.

I have to say it looks very impressive, those "thrones" are great and definitely better than the "2 seaters"

Yes, perfect for solo travellers.

The seat looks very nice and comfortable, although that cubbyhole does look quite small indeed (I don't see my big feet fitting in there )

Too small for many people, no doubt about that.

The food looks delicious (as is to be expected from Do&Co), shame the FAs lacked the warmth..

Good to see you made your connection despite the famous traffic jam at JFK

Just recently I flew JFK-LHR and we didn't spend more than 30 minutes or so on the taxiway.

What a great choice, nicely chosen!

I would pick that seat again.

Yes indeed, you never know at JFK..

So OE-LPB has it's own safety card?

Yes!

That is quite strange, wonder if this is normal or just a delay of service..?

I'm not sure. There have been several issues with onboard service due to labor law-related disputes.

Thanks for sharing another masterpiece!

Thanks again!

Quoting eastafspot (Reply 42):
Splendid report as usual with excellent pictures and information

Hi Léonard, thanks a lot for your feedback!

The cabin, seat and catering are really impressive, it looks like OS is upping its game.

Do you just write the regs or do you take pictures too?

Reg spotter only.

haha very true, it's easier to hear this type of comment when you are currently in that seat rather than having to follow this jealous travellers far to the back...

Absolutely!

Quoting airbuseric (Reply 43):
a very enjoyable read on OS.

Thanks for your comments, Eric!

I did fly on LPA as well, SIN-VIE was my route a few years ago.

Back in Lauda Air times?

Also my impression with OS crews, unfortunately. Crew is what makes a difference, and those Austrians should learn their lessons.

Though, I do like the catering/drinks on your flight, and the seat looks comfy enough. For the eye, I like other designed seats more, but that's just a matter of personal taste.

The red color stands out too much IMO.

Quoting abrelosojos (Reply 44):
Thanks for taking the time to write up on the new OS JCL.

Hi Alex, thanks for your feedback!

I think the new seats look great, and are a significant improvement on what they had before.

I was not surprised about OS missing the small touches and the human element ... no wonder, they continue to be the weakest member of the OS group. What LH saw in them remains a mystery. I just can't see them being profitable except the Germany - Austria kind of flying.

The cost structure used to be too high and there were too many different aircraft types. Things are improving and I'm quite confident that it will soon be profitable.

This has also been my experience with OS. Do you think Austrians are generally less personal?

No, definitely not. Niki crews have always been great.

DISGUSTING. I have had beer with ice and red wine, but champagne?! And, without asking?!

Very odd.

That is really poor!

Thankfully, it could have been worse. You could have been in YCL!

Very true!

PH

EL-AL

Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:26 am

Hey PH,

Thx for another great report.

I share your opinion. I tried the new seat in a press presentation here in Israel, and I also found the legroom to be very much restricted. Also, the seat is a bit far from the window for me.

Thx for shearing, Jonathan
every day is a good day to fly

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:23 am

Quoting EL-AL (Reply 46):
Thx for another great report.

Hi Jonathan, thanks a lot for your feedback!

Quoting EL-AL (Reply 46):
I share your opinion. I tried the new seat in a press presentation here in Israel, and I also found the legroom to be very much restricted. Also, the seat is a bit far from the window for me.

The distance between the seat and the window is okay, but the lack of legroom in flat mode can be a big problem for certain people.

PH

LH4116

Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:02 pm

A very nice report on Austrian's new Business Class. Having flown quite a lot with Turkish Airlines over the past year I've been very curious to try out Austrian to see how they compare.

Less than five minutes later, I received my boarding passes and went to the gate area which is not bad for spotting.

I spent three hours at Starbucks in Terminal 1 while waiting for check-in to open for my flight. Quite good spotting opportunities from there too.

Economy Class passengers kept passing for a while and many of them were visibly impressed by the Business Class seats and layout. I also overheard some negative comments, obviously driven by envy, and one lady disdainfully said: "This is for the upper class!"

I suppose that's the reason why I always try to pick the cabin in front of door 1. It gets quite awkward when people pass you by, and there's less foot traffic. But then again you can't see much of the wing and engine from there  
Another GE90 and DO&CO customer parked next to us:

Hmm I wonder if that's a problem with Do&Co or simply with the airlines. On most of my recent Turkish flights the Champagne have never been properly chilled.

I recall seeing a report from a few years ago where they served very extensive breakfast, featuring sunny-side eggs and toast for breakfast. But it seems that there have been a few cut downs. But then again on such a short flight, a light breakfast is more appropriate.

Thanks for sharing!
SAS Plus is Business Class made faux!

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:26 pm

Quoting LH4116 (Reply 48):
A very nice report on Austrian's new Business Class.

Hi J,

thanks a lot for your feedback! Sorry for the delayed reply.

Having flown quite a lot with Turkish Airlines over the past year I've been very curious to try out Austrian to see how they compare.

I have noticed that. Have you already flown on all the different types in the TK fleet?

I spent three hours at Starbucks in Terminal 1 while waiting for check-in to open for my flight. Quite good spotting opportunities from there too.

I need to keep that in mind.

Hmm I wonder if that's a problem with Do&Co or simply with the airlines. On most of my recent Turkish flights the Champagne have never been properly chilled.

Bad to hear. I don't think it's a DO&CO issue, though.

I recall seeing a report from a few years ago where they served very extensive breakfast, featuring sunny-side eggs and toast for breakfast. But it seems that there have been a few cut downs. But then again on such a short flight, a light breakfast is more appropriate.

Oh, it was available - just have a look at the breakfast order sheet. I guess I would choose that next time.

PH