Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MSYtristar
Topic Author

JetBlue A320/E190 MSY-JFK-MSY

Thu May 01, 2014 5:46 pm

Disclaimer: All pics were taken with my cell phone, and the weather was terrible @ JFK, so the clarity isn't all that great on some of them. I think you'll get the idea though. Moving on...

Before this trip I only flew B6 once...DEN-BOS-TPA, which DEN-BOS being a red-eye. It was a long, tiring trip, but from what I remember about the flights, they were very enjoyable. I told myself after I got off the plane in TPA that I needed to try B6 out again on an itinerary not involving a red-eye so I could soak up the experience more. So, after snooping around and finding a great sale fare of $98 each way between MSY and JFK, I did just that. Booking was very easy on jetblue.com. I think it's one of the better, more user friendly airline websites out there.

30April, 2014
B6 #76
MSY-JFK
Airbus A320
Seat: 4A
Wheels up: 1048
Wheels down: 1407
Load: 150/150

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Epza-nwQ7lU/U2J8ggPdfVI/AAAAAAAAEYE/29Jt7PnKp98/s800/Capture1.PNG

***Link to takeoff video***
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FpAri2UTUY&feature=youtu.be

Boarding started for flight 76 to JFK at 1015. The gate area was packed, so I had a hunch it'd be a full flight. Indeed, it was...every seat was taken. I had upgraded to an Even More Space seat for this segment, seat 4A. I believe it was 38 inch pitch. Regardless of what it was, I could easily cross my legs. Just tons of space. This particular bird had the older style seats, which of course are very comfortable. Push back was a few minutes late at 1040, and we were quickly airborne from runway 28 at 1048. Along the way I listened to Sirius radio, enjoyed some free junk food, and just relaxed. I was curious as to if we would be held up along the way since JFK was seeing some nasty weather, but we flew straight on in and actually landed early. It was a great flight. Here are pics from B6 76...

* JFK layover *

Some people like to spend hours at a shopping mall...others at a sporting event...others perhaps a night out on the town. For me, there is nothing more enjoyable than spending all afternoon at a major international airport watching the many heavies takeoff and land to/from exotic (and some not so exotic) far off destinations. It's just too bad that the weather was so poor, otherwise some of my pictures would have been been special. But perhaps, as my friend said, the rain adds some drama to the pictures...something a little different...I'll let you be the judge. T5 at JFK was busy, but not packed to the point where a seat wasn't available. I though there was a nice mix of retail and dining options, and I appreciated the *many* charging stations with seats and tables throughout the terminal. I was at the airport for a little over six hours...and not once did I feel bored or impatient. Perhaps I'm a rare breed.

30April, 2014
B6 #775
JFK-MSY
Embraer 190
Seat: 23A
Wheels up: 2139
Wheels down: 2344
Load: 92/100

I was pleasantly surprised to see this flight operating since so many throughout the day were canceled...and amazingly, we only pushed from the gate five minutes past schedule at 2100. This was my first time on a B6 E190 and I was very impressed. The seat was amazingly comfortable...more more so, for example, than a recent flight I had on an American Eagle/Republic E-175. There also seemed to be more shoulder room on this one compared to the E75. In any case, I knew this would be a great flight, especially since the seat next to me remained unoccupied. It was a fairly lengthy taxi but nothing too crazy considering the weather situation. Climb out was very rough and didn't really smooth out until we passed New Jersey. On the way down to MSY I watched Anchorman 2 (the flight crew made all movies complimentary, which was a nice, unexpected gesture), ate an overpriced and somewhat dry grilled chicken wrap from some to go place in the terminal, and downed a Sprite Zero. It was sort of a party flight as at least the three rows in front of me were filled with people going down to Jazz Fest...and let's just say they got the party started early! We touched down on MSY's runway 28 at 2344, a little behind schedule, but not too bad all things considered. Here are the (few) pics from B6 775...

I could see my house from that last picture. We literally flew right over my street.

Overall verdict:

If I lived in the northeast, I would probably fly jetBlue on a consistent basis. You get great value for your money, and the employees all see to really appreciate your business. The little extras such as free snacks, free whole cans of soda, free TV and radio, etc all really set jetBlue above most others in terms of a Y product. Also...and this is a big deal for me...the seats on both the E90 and the 320 were very comfortable. B6 really impressed me on this day trip. I'm looking forward to flying with them again.

Thanks for reading.

[Edited 2014-05-01 10:57:02]

[Edited 2014-05-01 10:57:38]

[Edited 2014-05-01 11:17:54]

MesaFlyGuy

RE: JetBlue A320/E190 MSY-JFK-MSY

Thu May 01, 2014 10:43 pm

Great report! AS somebody who does fly JetBlue on a very consistent basis, I can agree with everything you said. They, to me, are one-of-a-kind airline; an LCC with complimentary IFE and snacks, consistently friendly crews, and very comfortable planes that let you be comfortable while you're onboard.

Also, as somebody who had to walk home from a meeting at school yesterday afternoon, I'm glad to see you got in/out without any significant delays. In fact, I probably heard you fly over me on your MSY-JFK sector!

Happy flying!

-Mesa

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Fri May 02, 2014 12:25 am

Quoting MesaFlyGuy (Reply 1):
Great report! AS somebody who does fly JetBlue on a very consistent basis, I can agree with everything you said. They, to me, are one-of-a-kind airline; an LCC with complimentary IFE and snacks, consistently friendly crews, and very comfortable planes that let you be comfortable while you're onboard.

Thanks! Yeah, B6 really does a nice job. Some of my friends up in the BOS fly them religiously, and now after two trips with them, I can see why.

Quoting MesaFlyGuy (Reply 1):
Also, as somebody who had to walk home from a meeting at school yesterday afternoon, I'm glad to see you got in/out without any significant delays. In fact, I probably heard you fly over me on your MSY-JFK sector!

I was very surprised that we got in early. Of course as the afternoon progressed I noticed most arrivals had been delayed about an hour or so. I used to work at ATL and when the weather got bad it always seemed to slow to a crawl. Not at JFK yesterday though...it was a well oiled machine, even with the wind and rain and poor visibility. I was impressed.

lychemsa

Fri May 02, 2014 2:26 am

I stopped flying American or UNITED to the Caribbean.

The JET BLUE planes are new and the cabins in Y so spacious with decent entertainment.

AA had an old 757 2 years ago, charged $650 to Punta Cana, no more meal service, bad legroom, no entertainment system. I felt so claustrophobic I said to myself to hell with the miles; never again if I can help it.

fxramper

Fri May 02, 2014 2:57 am

Where does DL use the 747 out of JFK too?

Nice pics and report.   

Was the pizza at a airport lounge?

I have a business trip to MSY soon and am using UA. I'd rather take B6.

Were the cookies good on B6?   

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Fri May 02, 2014 3:22 am

Quoting fxramper (Reply 4):
Where does DL use the 747 out of JFK too?

NRT and TLV. The one I have a pic of was heading to NRT and one landed right behind it from NRT.

Nice pics and report.   

Was the pizza at a airport lounge?

Thanks! Nope...at the ye old food court. Not the best pizza, but hey, it was food court pizza. The authentic NYC style I used to get near my Amtrak crew hotel across from Penn Station was legendary.

I have a business trip to MSY soon and am using UA. I'd rather take B6.

Were the cookies good on B6?   

Have a good trip. Yeah, I wish B6 would fly to more places direct from my neck of the woods. As much as I love NYC and Boston, I don't have to go there all that much.

The cookies were good. I try to stay away from all that stuff but you know, I figured what the heck, might as well enjoy the B6 experience in full.

fxramper

Fri May 02, 2014 3:39 am

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 5):

I'll hit you up with dates for my trip (June sometime). Staying in Metairie. I'll buy the Abita if your around. Would be nice to get a ride to a genuine Louisiana kitchen restaurant for dinner.

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Fri May 02, 2014 11:49 am

Check your msg...wish I was in town to meet up...but if you tell me which hotel you're staying at in Metairie I can let you know of a good local restaurant nearby.

jetblue01

Fri May 02, 2014 11:59 am

Nice trip report! I love jetblue, I fly them a lot and I'm going to be a pilot and plan on being a pilot for them on the A320.
Also there terminal at JFK is nice and looks like you saw some big planes taking off. I was there April 25th after a redeye from phx

daviation

Fri May 02, 2014 5:50 pm

Very nice report!

My first JetBlue flight was in June 2000 (JFK-BUF), shortly after they began operations. I was very impressed with them then, and I'm still impressed today. They are pretty much the only nonstop Florida service from the two airports closest to my house (SWF and HPN), so I can take advantage of convenience and seat comfort and a free bag.

Were you able to get a look at the Hawaiian A330 that parks at JetBlue's JFK terminal? I've taken that flight twice. In March, I took Delta's JFK-TLV 747 flight, but I knew that your photo wasn't that flight. The TLV flight leaves around 9pm, so I figured the daylight pic had to be a Far East destination.

I'm heading to New Orleans in August. Please tell me it won't be too hot and humid!

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Fri May 02, 2014 10:54 pm

Quoting daviation (Reply 9):
Were you able to get a look at the Hawaiian A330 that parks at JetBlue's JFK terminal?

No, I assume she already left by the time I got there. Would have been nice to spot though.

Quoting daviation (Reply 9):
I'm heading to New Orleans in August. Please tell me it won't be too hot and humid!

I wish I could tell you that! On the plus side, the city is usually not too crowded in August, and there are plenty of good deals to be had. Most of the downtown hotels have nice pools at least...some are on the rooftop with great city views.