eielef
Topic Author

Aerosur 5L544: MAD-VVI - First Class B744. FEB2012

Thu May 08, 2014 11:11 pm

From Spain to Bolivia in a Jumbo in First Class

Flight: Aerosur 544
Route: Madrid (LEMD/MAD) – Santa Cruz de la Sierra (SLVR/VVI)
Date: February 9th, 2012
Scheduled: 2130-0300 (local time) Scheduled flight length: 10h30m
Real departing time: 2156 (close gates), 2216 (take off RWY 36R).
Real arrival time: 0403 (landing RWY 16), 0411 disembark, 0425 in my hotel
Aircraft: Boeing 747-400 CP-2603 “Super Torísimo”.
Seat: 10A – Clase Torísima (First Class)

Welcome to my first report. I’m not a native English speaker so I beg your pardon with any mistakes. This report is in a defunct airline, Aerosur, returning home from Russia and Spain.

While in holidays in Europe, I visited Moscow for the 2nd time in a few months. Hours after arriving, I had an accident, and needed surgery. Spent 10 days in a moscovite hospital, flew to Barcelona and spent 3 weeks there with medical care also. After already 2 months away, it was time to return back home. The actual route was BCN-MAD-VVI-SLA, the first part in Air Europa, and last two in Aerosur, a now defunct Bolivian private airline.

I decided to stay in Madrid one night, and a friend of mine drove me to Barajas Airport. I arrived at 1800, quite early, as a few months earlier I took the same flight and I waited over two hours for checking in.

Farewell Madrid. Driving to the Airport

Supertorísimo (B744) en Barajas (Internet photo)

As I arrived to Terminal 1, I quickly found the Aerosur check in, in Sector A. There were few stands opened, but I quickly found one free and told them I was flying first class. I could send my luggage to Salta (in Northwestern Argentina), and I received both boarding passes. One was SEQ 003 and the other SEQ 001. They were already printed. I could send up to 100kg as checked luggage, and I almost had nothing (mostly were medical studies).
The check-in employee told me both flights were on time, and I had a 6 hours connection in Viru Viru Airport, in Santa Cruz, Bolivia’s 2nd biggest city. I had prebooked a room in Enkama hotel in VVI airport. The employee was quite friendly and told me both registrations of the next flights. Great!

Somehow they used Iberia boarding passes

I went throught migrations and security check, and spent the next hour at the Business Lounge of terminal one. No photos from there. I saw a few abandoned lounges in Barajas Terminal 1A.

Boarding was chaotic, on Gate A14. Their flight (in all my experiences) was always FULL. I enjoyed much the place where I would spend the next 11 hours.

First Class on this aircraft is not in the upper deck, but in the lower deck, in the first rows. This was an aircraft leased to Virgin Atlantic, former G-VROM, built in 2001. There were 14 seats in first class, but just 3 passengers there.
I was given 10A.

Short taxing to runway 36R which is 3.500m or 11.482ft long.
There was a cool bar there, with a flight attendant who could prepare drinks, and offered newspapers and magazines for reading. You could sit on the bar, or the flight attendant would bring it to your seat.

I had a bloody mary first, and later a Paceña beer, from Bolivia.

There is PTV but it doesn’t work. You could read, and I had my Kindle and Computer.

The thing I loved most from this flight was the comfortable seats for sleeping

Food was also nice. In coach class it was really bad, and I used to take my own food on intercontinental flights as it was very bad quality, and they never had enough drinks, not even water!. Dinner was served soon after take off, with caviar, salmon, and bolivian stile meat. Well, all in all was nice. Desert was quite bad and too sweet.

Breakfast (served at 1.30 am Bolivian time) was also nice. Fresh fruit, yogurt, a snack with cheese and strawberries, and some ham and cheese with figs.

Flight was smooth and comfortable. Bathroom was always clean and flight attendants were very nice. They helped with my coat and my hand luggage. They even prepared my bed.

Soon we started seeing Bolivian lights, and the cabin was prepared for landing. It was the end of this nice flight. We touched down in Santa Cruz Airport, RWY 16 (also 3.500m/11.482ft long) at 4.03 am. One hour delayed. As I was a transit passenger leaving the transit zone (for my hotel) I was given a 8 hours transit card. A very nice system, avoiding the migration process in Bolivia. I went to the observation deck (free to all people) and took my last picture of the Super Torísimo. I knew certainly it was my last flight there, as I knew the aircraft was leaving the fleet soon, and the CP-2711 (former Aerolíneas Argentinas LV-ALJ) was replacing it.

Viru Viru was hot, and full of people. The Enkama hotel was quite strange, but at least fresh. The airport Aerosur lounge was quite bad, and they were not even bathrooms offered (showers would be a DREAM).

Aerosur bankrupted few week laters. I took 13 flights with them and I had very nice memories, and this was far the best of all.

Cheers
Eielef @TUC

newhaven

RE: Aerosur 5L544: MAD-VVI - First Class B744. FEB2012

Fri May 09, 2014 3:40 am

Quoting eielef (Thread starter):
Supertorísimo (B744) en Barajas (Internet photo)

Painting a 747-400 that way? They deserve to be defunct. How embarrassing.

eielef
Topic Author

Fri May 09, 2014 2:24 pm

Quoting newhaven (Reply 1):

Hello, newhaven!. Indeed they were quite particular with pairing their planes. I've flown in a zoo. As Aerosur closed, in 2012, their fleet (mostly classic B737's) had various names based on animals. Bufeo (CP-2561), Yacaré (CP-2595), Puma (CP-2653), Potro (CP-2640), Sicurí (CP-2656), and the funniest: a B762 named Sharko (CP-2659) with a funny shark painted on it.

Cheers
Eielef @TUC

mfc

Fri May 09, 2014 2:32 pm

Hi Eielef!

Thank you for posting this exotic trip report! I always wondered how flying Aerosur would be. It's nice to hear that the service was good, although the food didn't seem to be up to First Class standards, from what I see in the pictures, it was like two short-haul J class meals.

Farewell Madrid. Driving to the Airport

That part of the highway is close to my house! I drive on that road everyday when going to the City Center 
There was a cool bar there

Very nice feature!

There is PTV but it doesn’t work.

Too bad...

Well, thank you again!

Un saludo,

Martín
So, we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past

eielef
Topic Author

Fri May 09, 2014 3:01 pm

¡Hola Martín!
I've been to Madrid many times and I'm so used to Madrid highways. In the picture, those 4 towers are really nice. I was there once. I'm not sure if the picture was taken on the M40 or the A2.
Anyway, as I went to Madrid (in the same trip, route SLA-VVI-MAD) I went to a Subway restaurant (in Viru Viru) and bought 3 meals. Later, bought 2 bottles of water (2l each) as it was summer (next to 45ºC). And ate and drunk all within the flight. Later came the "dinner service" consisting in almost nothing. Some quinoa, something weird they called meat, and half a glass of a local Sprite (imagine very hot Sprite, and make it Bolivian flavour). So, that was all for a 11 hours flight.
So, First Class was really nice. Or at least better than my previous experiences!
Thanks for your comments!
¡Saludos!
Eielef @TUC

FLIEGER67

Fri May 09, 2014 3:02 pm

Hola, Senor A.,

really good to see this set of pictures from the now gone Aerosur, for sure not the everyday airline and aircraft here also with the special coloursl.
Well done, the pictures, too.
And hope to see more from you´re hand and this exotic part of the world.

Greetings,
Markus(FLIEGER67)
Tripreporter.net

eielef
Topic Author

Fri May 09, 2014 3:11 pm

Mein lieber Freund,
Thanks indeed for your comment. It is a quite exotic country, but is close from home, so I've been there a few times.
Aerosur provided a great option for those living in northern Argentina as there were direct flight both from SLA and TUC to VVI, with inmediate connection both to MIA and MAD, and even to PUJ (those were seasonal flights). Later, they mixed both routes in the VVI-SLA-TUC-VVI flight, and later they suspended Tucumán because of political issues (ANAC, as usual).

I once bought the EZE-CBB-VVI-SLA flight for returning home from Buenos Aires. Those were about 24 hours of flights, plus 4 hours of drive (instead of once of many AEP-TUC daily flights both in AR and 4M). But some part got cancelled and I ended buying a last minute VERY expensive one way in Aerolineas (AEP-TUC).

BOA (Bolivia's new state airline) is starting its route to SLA in the next few days. Again with a few connections available, mostly inside Bolivia, but also to MAD and GRU.

Grüßen
Eielef @TUC

[Edited 2014-05-09 08:13:00]

lychemsa

Fri May 09, 2014 4:02 pm

Very interesting and unusual. Thanks.

jwhite9185

Fri May 09, 2014 4:24 pm

Hi there - good to see how AeroSur treated Barbarella during her secondment to Bolivia. An aircraft I've logged a couple of times with VS.

Interesting how they classed the VS Upper Class (which is business) as first class, yet the service looked below what VS would provide - meals wise and the lack of IFE. Although being the old Nova system, you didn't miss too much! Did they class Premium economy as business?

Upon its return to VS, this one was the first to get the new VS cabins and the JAM entertainment system to bring it in line with their A330's. Although the cabin featured here remained due to complaints about the new Upper Class suites!
@mytripreport

eielef
Topic Author

Fri May 09, 2014 6:36 pm

Quoting lychemsa (Reply 7):

Very interesting and unusual. Thanks.

Thanks lychemsa for your feedback!

Quoting jwhite9185 (Reply 8):
Interesting how they classed the VS Upper Class (which is business) as first class, yet the service looked below what VS would provide - meals wise and the lack of IFE. Although being the old Nova system, you didn't miss too much! Did they class Premium economy as business?

Hi, Jwhite9185. 5L offered a really bad both business and economy class, but had great prices and was mostly on time. I remember once they destroyed the landing gear of the Supertorísimo (july 2011) as taking off from MAD. It took over 2 months to get it fixed. What Aerosur did those days was leasing another B744 from Pullmantur Air (EB/PLM) and reduced from 4 to 2 weekly flights. Mostly they were over 150 passengers overbooked PER FLIGHT. I had to flight back home in late July and I had to stay one week more in Madrid because of this, off course NOTHING was provided, and for information you had to call a 906 phone number (a very expensive one). The flights had spanish crew, and had the worst schedule ever, leaving Barajas at 06.05am. I had to wait 2 days in VVI, but got pissed and took a bus (21 hours) back home.

I never flew in VS, but I'd like to. They don't provide any service to South America though.
Although experiences in Aerosur were sometimes bad, most of them were nice. Most of north-argentineans chose it, flying both from SLA or ASU.

A friend of mine, in the last days, flew from VVI to MIA via MAO and PUJ in a B722 CP-2498. No service at all was given. The flight left almost 3 days late, and was so crowded that they decided not to take any luggage. All was left in VVI.
Later, the airline close and they went to the Argentine consulate in MIA who gave them very cheap tickets on the A342 AR flight to EZE. Lugagge returned back to Argentina almost 2 weeks later, on the last flight to SLA.

As Lychemsa said earlier. It was a quite unusual airline...
Cheers
Eielef @TUC

reifel

Sat May 10, 2014 9:35 am

Wow, what a jewel! Thanks so much for taking the time to write about a quite exotic airline. I often saw their planes in MAD. In First Class the flight seemed perfectly fine.

Flightsimboy

Sat May 10, 2014 11:32 am

Great to see a trip report on an airline not really seen here, but I do recall a really nice report (or set of reports) from travel around Bolivia, and I think Aerosur was featured.

Aircraft: Boeing 747-400 CP-2603 “Super Torísimo”.

What a beauty that 747-400 is  . I guess beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder!! Having a huge 1:200 specifically 747-400 airplane model collection, this one is a must have.

Hi there - good to see how AeroSur treated Barbarella during her secondment to Bolivia. An aircraft I've logged a couple of times with VS.

Was trying to figure out who the past owner was!
LAX772LR - "Answer to goofy question:" in response to my question about the B737-MAX8 being grounded. 48 hours later all B737-MAX8 grounded worldwide. Go figure!!

eielef
Topic Author

Sat May 10, 2014 11:35 am

Quoting reifel (Reply 10):
Wow, what a jewel! Thanks so much for taking the time to write about a quite exotic airline. I often saw their planes in MAD. In First Class the flight seemed perfectly fine.

Hello, Reifel! Thanks for your feedback. I never flew in First before and not again. Way to expensive for me. I had a few business experiences but they were never too great, just one in BA, LGW-BOG route in 2011. Later, one in TA (BOG-LIM-SCL) and off course, VVI-SLA on this same trip.
But I've read most of the reports (great all of them) and I'd love to fly in First from Singapore, Cathay or even Emirates. I can't so far, so I'm a happy Coach Class passenger (who buys lots of food in Starbucks before boarding!).
Cheers (and thanks!)
Eielef @TUC

jeffh747

Sun May 11, 2014 3:22 pm

How embarrassing

Seriously? I think it was one of the coolest liveries out there! Sure looks a heck of a lot better than a lot of the boring Euro-White 747s out there (ahem Air France, United ahem)...
A318 A319 A320 A320neo A321 A321neo A332 A333 B717 B727 B734 B73G B738 B739 B752 B762 B763 B772 B788 CRJ2 DHC6 DHC8-300 E145 E190 MD82 MD83 MD90 SF340B

eielef
Topic Author

Sun May 11, 2014 5:49 pm

Indeed!
Its a bit strange but I never said it was ugly. The former Torísimo (CP-2525) had a similar livery, also meaning a shark, but it was more similar to the rest of Aerosur fleet. I even think it was the first of the "zoo series".

I was remembering ANA, the japanese airline, who painted some aircraft based on Pokémon cartoons.
So, they painted 5 B744, 4 B763 and 1 B773 using the caracters of the cartoons. Maybe this aircraft looks much worse than the Super Torísimo. Again, I'm not an artist, so this last opinion is very personal.

Cheers,
Eielef @TUC

Flightsimboy

Sun May 11, 2014 11:11 pm

Quoting jeffh747 (Reply 13):
Seriously? I think it was one of the coolest liveries out there! Sure looks a heck of a lot better than a lot of the boring Euro-White 747s out there
Quoting flightsimboy (Reply 11):
What a beauty that 747-400 is  . I guess beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder!! Having a huge 1:200 specifically 747-400 airplane model collection, this one is a must have.
Quoting eielef (Reply 14):
I was remembering ANA, the japanese airline, who painted some aircraft based on Pokémon cartoons.
So, they painted 5 B744, 4 B763 and 1 B773 using the caracters of the cartoons.

I'll say it again, the Super Turisomo is one of the best looking 747-400 that has a special scheme on it....What a shame it isn't around anymore...
LAX772LR - "Answer to goofy question:" in response to my question about the B737-MAX8 being grounded. 48 hours later all B737-MAX8 grounded worldwide. Go figure!!

eielef
Topic Author

Sun May 11, 2014 11:57 pm

Quoting flightsimboy (Reply 11):
Great to see a trip report on an airline not really seen here, but I do recall a really nice report (or set of reports) from travel around Bolivia, and I think Aerosur was featured.

Hello Flightsimboy!
In 2009 I posted on another forum a series of 4 reports featuring the route VVI-CBB-LPB-RBQ-LPB in Aerosur 722, TAMBo MA60 and Amaszonas Metro 23. I will be pleased to translate them and post them if you are interested. They were written in Aeropuertosarg forums, in spanish.

I made quite a few trips in Bolivia, and I flew on most of Aerosur aircraft (almost all the 722 & 732, and the 733, 734 and 744). I could never make it to fly in Lloyd, as I first arrived to Bolivia in 2007.
In those years, and up to 2011, RBQ was a top destination in Bolivia Jungle (Beni Department). And the airport there (SLRQ) had two grass runways. Landing there was quite amazing.

Quoting flightsimboy (Reply 15):
I'll say it again, the Super Turisomo is one of the best looking 747-400 that has a special scheme on it....What a shame it isn't around anymore...

I agree with you there. The livery was beautiful, but it wasn't painted. They were sort of stickers, that went out quite easily. It was a nice design though. The CP-2603 quickly returned to UK for flying back there with VS. The next was supposed to be the LV-ALJ, a beautiful 747-475 built for Canadian Airlines in 1992.

Thanks for your feedback, and sorry for the delay answering your message!
Cheers,
Eielef @TUC

Flightsimboy

Mon May 12, 2014 11:15 am

Quoting eielef (Reply 16):
In 2009 I posted on another forum a series of 4 reports featuring the route VVI-CBB-LPB-RBQ-LPB in Aerosur 722, TAMBo MA60 and Amaszonas Metro 23. I will be pleased to translate them and post them if you are interested. They were written in Aeropuertosarg forums, in spanish.

That's fine, I am glad to read this report on the Super Turisomo  . However feel free to post pics or another report if you like. I am sure others here might be interested.

Quoting eielef (Reply 16):
Thanks for your feedback, and sorry for the delay answering your message!
Cheers,

No problem.

eastafspot

Mon May 12, 2014 12:53 pm

Hello Eielef

Very nice TR about an airline i've never heard of before.
Great you managed to try their premium product quite good actually!

In coach class it was really bad, and I used to take my own food on intercontinental flights as it was very bad quality, and they never had enough drinks, not even water!

Jeez what a shame, hope their prices were decent at least!

Many thanks for sharing
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !

richierich

Mon May 12, 2014 5:01 pm

There was a cool bar there, with a flight attendant who could prepare drinks, and offered newspapers and magazines for reading. You could sit on the bar, or the flight attendant would bring it to your seat.

I wonder if this is a leftover from the aircraft's VS days?

Me too - I flew a relatively young G-VROM in June 2005 from MCO-MAN. I recall it being quite a nice flight! I'm glad she is still flying and hopefully serving her new customer very well!

Thanks for the great - and unusual - TR!
None shall pass!!!!

eielef
Topic Author

Tue May 13, 2014 1:11 am

Quoting flightsimboy (Reply 17):
That's fine, I am glad to read this report on the Super Turisomo  . However feel free to post pics or another report if you like. I am sure others here might be interested.

Hello, Flightsimboy. I'll post soon some photos of 3 flights (i don't take much pictures). Those will be VVI-CBB-LPB on two B722 and my last flight with Aerosur (VVI-SLA) on the connection on this same day. I'll try to do it this week/weekend.

Quoting eastafspot (Reply 18):
Hello Eielef
Very nice TR about an airline i've never heard of before.
Great you managed to try their premium product quite good actually!

Leonard. Thanks for your feedback. Your reports are amazing! I could try the first class product thanks of the accident I had in Moscow. My parents bought the upgrade to Business and I bought the upgrade to First. It was amazingly cheap, as most Bolivians can't even afford coach class!

Quoting richierich (Reply 19):

Hello Richierich, I think the aircraft had no modifications at all, although it was least for almost 2,5 years (2009-2012).
Thanks for your feedback! MCO-MAN sound strange. Did you wrote a report from then? Could you send me the link?

Cheers,
Eielef @TUC

richierich

Thu May 15, 2014 4:57 pm

Quoting eielef (Reply 20):
Hello Richierich, I think the aircraft had no modifications at all, although it was least for almost 2,5 years (2009-2012).
Thanks for your feedback! MCO-MAN sound strange. Did you wrote a report from then? Could you send me the link?

Sorry, I did not do a trip report for this flight...not even sure I took a photo of it!

VS has a small subfleet of 744s for their "leisure" routes, which includes LGW-MCO, LGW-LAS, MAN-MCO and LGW-BGI among others. They also flew the 744s on some seasonal flights from GLA I believe. Compared to their LHR-based 744s, the "leisure" aircraft had more Y and less F seats, which makes sense when you think about it, but also an older version of their IFE, etc.

G-VROM and the others were purchased new around 2000-2002 to replace previous 747-200 service operated on behalf of VS by Air Atlanta Icelandic, IIRC. I never tried that service but I was quite impressed by VS on the couple of flights I flew on from MCO after 2005. Granted, the on-board offering and ammenities lacked somewhat compared to, say, JFK-LHR, but it was still a decent service.

VS still operate a daily, and sometimes double-daily, service MAN-MCO, as well as LGW-MCO, etc. Depending on the frequency and seasonality, it may be on either a 744 or a new A333. Clearly VS is going twin with their fleet which is sad, even though I understand why.
None shall pass!!!!

eielef
Topic Author

Thu May 15, 2014 10:43 pm

Quoting richierich (Reply 21):

Hello Richierich. I didn´t thought that some airlines had a different configuration for "leisure destination" planes. In our culture, one aircraft feets for all. Now they are planning sending B73G from EZE nonstop to CCS, former Easy Jet planes. It will be a nightmare in an almost 6h flight. Now a days they send their A340-300.
So, its good to know. Long story short, Aerosur provided a nice service. It wasn´t great, it wasn´t bad. It was nice, and it was great for me returning back home after a very long time abroad.

News now, today was the first VVI-SLA-VVI flight, in BOA (Boliviana de Aviación) on a B733. Flight is called OB716/717. SLA-VVI flight was served on the CP-2716, with 101 passengers. It arrived at Salta Airport at 12:06 noon, just 6 minutes late. The plane departed at 6pm, back to VVI, as OB717. I don´t know why it stays such a long time in SLA, but it is so, so far. The flight is planned twice weekly, thursday and sunday.

Cheers,
Eielef @TUC

jetwet1

Fri May 16, 2014 5:53 am

First Class on this aircraft is not in the upper deck, but in the lower deck, in the first rows. This was an aircraft leased to Virgin Atlantic, former G-VROM, built in 2001. There were 14 seats in first class, but just 3 passengers there.
I was given 10A.

I sat in that very seat on a LGW-LAS flight in 2007

Quoting flightsimboy (Reply 15):

I agree, while it is different, there is something about it I like.

Quoting richierich (Reply 19):

It looks like the standard LGW Upper Class cabin.

Isn't that the truth, Nova sucked.

Quoting richierich (Reply 21):
VS has a small subfleet of 744s for their "leisure" routes, which includes LGW-MCO, LGW-LAS, MAN-MCO and LGW-BGI among others

LGW-BGI Used to be served mostly with the LHR 744 fleet, it's now the 333's that carry out most of those flights.

The777Man

Sat May 31, 2014 8:51 pm

Hi !

Very interesting report on an unusual airline !

Service doesn't look too impressive for Business class. Not so great with PTVs not working.

Thanks for posting !

The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

eielef
Topic Author

Sat May 31, 2014 9:10 pm

Quoting The777Man (Reply 24):
Very interesting report on an unusual airline !

Service doesn't look too impressive for Business class. Not so great with PTVs not working.

Thanks for posting !

The777Man

Hello, 777Man,
Is an unusual airline, an unusual country, an unusual service. Don't forget is Clase Torísima or First Class. There was real people paying over 10000 dollars for that...
Thanks for your feedback.

JetWet1. Thanks for your answer. I have always been interested in those flights from LGW to the caribbean. I never knew someone going to UVF or BGI. Maybe those are not so popular destination for us, Latinamericans. I know some folks who have been to AUA or SXM as the weirdest. But most of us think CUN or PUJ is all you have to see!

Check my latest report when you have time! Austral AR2479: TUC-AEP E190. Domestic Argentina (by eielef May 31 2014 in Trip Reports)
Cheers,
Eielef @TUC

ghifty

Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:29 pm

Thank you for sharing this report!

One of my first memories in Spain was actually landing at Madrid-Barajas on a DL 764 and, while taxiing, seeing this exact plane parked at a remote stand. I remember the conversation I shared with my seatmate and am quite surprised to see it was/is a VX bird!
Fly Delta (Wid)Jets

Comments made here reflect only my personal opinions.

eielef
Topic Author

Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:53 pm

Quoting ghifty (Reply 26):
Thank you for sharing this report!

One of my first memories in Spain was actually landing at Madrid-Barajas on a DL 764 and, while taxiing, seeing this exact plane parked at a remote stand. I remember the conversation I shared with my seatmate and am quite surprised to see it was/is a VX bird!

Thanks for your reply, Ghifty. Indeed, some people felt shocked with this 744. I find it strange, but nice. It is a VS plane, just in case. Built for VS and still today flying there.
Aerosur had before another Torísimo (this was the Supertorísimo), a weird Boeing 747-300, where they managed to take more than 500 pax, most or all in Y class. It was the CP-2525, but it was soon replaced by this final Supertorísimo.

Cheers,
Eielef @TUC

abrelosojos

Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:32 pm

What an exotic and cool report. To bad, it is gone. Thanks for sharing.

Saludos,
Alex
Live, and let live.

eielef
Topic Author

Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:12 am

Quoting abrelosojos (Reply 28):
What an exotic and cool report. To bad, it is gone. Thanks for sharing.

Saludos,
Alex

Qué tal, Alex
Thanks for your feedback. It's a real pity its gone. It was a great connection for us, northwestern argentineans. At the beginning, they were flights both to SLA and TUC. SLA was three times a week, 5L250/1, and TUC twice a week (5L252/3). Later, they started flying VVI-SLA-TUC-VVI (5L250), four times a week. At the end, the flight was VVI-SLA-VVI (5L250/1) four times a week, and a free bus shuttle was offered from Tucumán city to Salta airport.

Although many of us knew it wasn't going to last much, they had extremely cheap offers, such a SLA-MIA-SLA for just 500U$S, or SLA-MAD-SLA for 600U$S, a third of the regular price. We knew it wasn't going to survive long, but we kept on buying tickets there.

I have 14 friends with tickets from Aerosur, still trying to get their money back...

Cheers,
Eielef @TUC

AA767LOVER

Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:01 am

You seriously need some imagination, flexibility and an open mind. These are better than the usual eurowhite schemes.
J.I. Tsui, American Advantage Member, United Mileage Plus (Premier)

eielef
Topic Author

Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:44 am

Quoting AA767LOVER (Reply 30):
You seriously need some imagination, flexibility and an open mind. These are better than the usual eurowhite schemes.

Hello, AA767LOVER. I deeply agree with you. That is called ART. Art represents many times a culture. I've visited Bolivia too many times, and Bolivia means, in my mind, Colours. Think on Bolivian food, or the typical dresses of women, or the buildings in a street. Is not the ex-soviet grey, nor the top fashionable Malibu. It is their colours, and a bull on a B747 could be their concept of fashion and art..
I really liked it!

Cheers
Eielef @SLA

taichen

Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:18 pm

A very interesting read. I was always curious about this airline, and certainly it seems it was not up to the standard ... meals look quite terrible, even more for First class, and having no IFE ... Did you fly on Boliviana service to madrid ?

eielef
Topic Author

Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:53 am

Quoting taichen (Reply 32):

A very interesting read. I was always curious about this airline, and certainly it seems it was not up to the standard ... meals look quite terrible, even more for First class, and having no IFE ... Did you fly on Boliviana service to madrid ?

Hola Taichen.
Aerosur was in those years latinamerican standard. Imagine Aerolineas Argentinas in 2007, or Conviasa today, with delays of three or four days!. It wasn't the worse, but they had the brilliant idea, taken from the former Lloyd Aereo Boliviano, of using VVI Airport as a strategical intercontinental hub, seeing that there are almost no flights from northern Argentina, northern Chile, Southern Peru, or Asunción. Later it became easier for people going to those big hubs such as EZE, SCL or LIM. And someone from ASU flights mostly via GRU. So VVI was forgotten in the late 90s. But Aerosur tried and it worked fine. Mostly with Paraguay and NW Argentina.
I never flew on Boliviana de Aviación. Their offer is now from SLA to MAD via VVI twice a week, it would be fine with me (as I'm close from SLA) but their prices are extremely high, and i'm avoiding Barajas Airport....

Cheers
Eielef @TUC