Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Knightsofmalta
Topic Author

Luxair Business Class: Luxembourg To Vienna

Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:53 pm

Folie1

INTRODUCTION

I'm in Luxembourg. It's Friday afternoon and I just finished giving a course. This weekend is Pentecost, which means Monday is a public holiday. And then on Wednesday I'll be giving another course in Luxembourg. So instead of going home for the weekend, I've decided to do something else and visit an old friend of mine. But first I must first catch a flight to Vienna.

GETTING TO THE AIRPORT

Transport: bus line 747
Departs from: main railway station in the city centre of Luxembourg
Frequency: depends on the traffic, which can be quite bad in Luxembourg
Journey time: 25 minutes
Fare: I don’t know. Normally you can buy tickets for public transport as you board the vehicle. This does not apply to the airport bus though. I have no idea where to purchase the tickets. But if you play dumb, normally the driver will simply let you on anyway.

Today I shall be taking the taxi to the airport anyway, because I'm travelling with a large suitcase which I don’t fancy carting to the bus stop.

CHECK-IN

Location: ground level, the bus stops right in front of the terminal
Facilities: self-service machines
Counters: dedicated Luxair Business Class counters

The taxi drops me off in front of the departures hall, which is at ground level. The airport is fairly busy this afternoon. There are the business travellers, probably on their way home after a busy week’s work in one of the many offices of the EU in Luxembourg. And then there are also the leisure travellers, presumably because there’s a long weekend ahead.

IMG_2573

IMG_2574

IMG_2577

IMG_2575

IMG_2576

LOUNGE

Type of Lounge:
Luxair lounge
Facilities:
-
Internet: -

There is a Luxair lounge in Luxembourg, which is very nice. In the evenings though, it does tend to become rather busy as it’s not very big and it’s also the only lounge there is in Luxembourg, so in fact it’s available to the premium passengers of most of the airlines operating out of Luxembourg.

BOARDING

Priority Boarding: No

Boarding is via gate A16, which is a bus gate.

IMG_2580

IMG_2582

IMG_2583

IMG_2584

IMG_2585

IMG_2586

IMG_2587

CABIN

Configuration: 3 + 3
Seat: standard European-style Business Class with the middle seat left empty
Facilities: coat hook
Audio and Video: audio and video are installed, only video available on this particular flight.

Originally, when I booked this flight it should have been operated by a Dash-8-400. However, much to my surprise we eventually pull up next to a Boeing B 737-700. Needless to say I’m delighted with the aircraft change!

IMG_2588

IMG_2589

IMG_2591

IMG_2592

IMG_2595

IMG_2593

IMG_2596

The cabin looks very neat, with blue seats and cream coloured, adjustable headrests and seatbelts. The seat pitch is rather tight though. There is no cabin divider to separate Business and Economy Class.

I also notice that the seat rows on the left and on the right side are not aligned, although I’m not quite sure wherein the benefit of this should lie.

IMG_2594

IMG_2598

IMG_2600

IMG_2601

IMG_2603

SERVICE

The crew appear to be all from Luxembourg. They're rather a nondescript bunch really. There’s nothing wrong with the way they go about their job and they’re not in any way rude. But it's nearly as though they're not really there. In fact you get the distinct impression they aren’t interested even in the faintest in their passengers.

Later on during the flight, as soon as the service is over, they vanish into the galley and remain there until it is time for them to secure the cabin for landing.

THE MEAL

Choice: none
Delivery:
traditional tray service
Type of meal:
light snack
Menu:
there is a small printed menu
Meal:

• duck and vegetable millefeuille in a tangy sauce

• raspberry, melon and pineapple

• lemon tart, brownie and white chocolate bavarois cake

• bread roll

• orange juice

• coffee

The presentation of the meal is nice. I quite like it for the simple reason that it’s unusual and makes a difference from what you normally see on planes in Europe today. But I can’t really say I enjoyed the meal. I’ve never been partial to duck because I find it too fatty. And when it comes packed in between layers of gelatine, then I think I’d rather pass.

IMG_2604

IMG_2605

IMG_2606

IMG_2607

IMG_2608

IMG_2609

IMG_2610

The desserts are alright, although the brown thing described as a ‘brownie’ in the menu is more like a mini piece of Black Forest gateau.

The meal is quickly removed, I barely touched it. I spend the rest of the flight gazing out the window. My favourite pastime.

IMG_2612

IMG_2613

ARRIVAL

After we land, we taxi on seemingly endlessly. It appears that we're got more or less the remotest possible stand on the whole apron. A bus is expecting us to bring the passengers to the terminal.

IMG_2614

IMG_2615

IMG_2616

IMG_2617

IMG_2618

IMG_2619

CONCLUSION

So what about Luxair Business Class? To be honest, it’s really quite hard to say. There wasn’t really anything to complain about, but I don’t think there was anything about the experience that would make me seek them out for my next trip either.

flyingfool

RE: Luxair Business Class: Luxembourg To Vienna

Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:05 pm

I thin k this will be one of the quickes reports after the flight arrives..   

Nice report on a airline which is not so much covered.

Mike

lychemsa

Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:46 am

I flew Luxair from Geneva to Luxembourg on an Embraer. The fare of $700 R/T ($660 on Expedia) is a ripp off for a 1 hour flight. They can get away with it because they have a monopoly. DARWIN a few years announced they would operate a flight but they decided not to.

I was always intrigued by this airline as we always used to take the train because their fares are so expensive.

On the morning flight we got a tasteless croissant and tasteless coffee. The hostess was middle aged, refined, polite but distant.

On the evening flight back we got a tiny sandwich which was tasty but too small and a belgian coffee candy before landing. The middle aged hostess was much friendlier on the return flight. It's nice to see someone smile.

I used the lounge when I flew there on British Airways C class. It was very busy at 5 PM. Food is limited but it was nicer than waiting 3 hours in the busy main terminal. Food was limited.

Fares from London for a 1 1/2 hour flight are half those on the GVA to Luxembourg route.

Knightsofmalta
Topic Author

Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:12 pm

Hi flyingfool

Quoting flyingfool (Reply 1):
I thin k this will be one of the quickes reports after the flight arrives..

Yeah well, what can I say? There really isn't anything much else to do during a layover in Vienna!

Quoting flyingfool (Reply 1):
Nice report on a airline which is not so much covered.

Thanks.

Hi lychemsa

Quoting lychemsa (Reply 2):
I flew Luxair from Geneva to Luxembourg on an Embraer. The fare of $700 R/T ($660 on Expedia) is a ripp off for a 1 hour flight. They can get away with it because they have a monopoly. DARWIN a few years announced they would operate a flight but they decided not to.

Luxembourg and Brussels have traditionally been expensive destinations out of Switzerland. I was expecting the fare to go down when Easyjet started flying, but seemingly little has shifted.

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Cheers,
William

sultanils

Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:08 pm

Hello William,

An interesting story, that’s for sure. I also like the cabin interior of Luxair’s B737 with the dark blue and beige tones. Also, it strikes me that the seatpockets have quite a different shape than usual. The meal presentation is nice I admit but I’d pass on that duck thing, same as you  

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

Knightsofmalta
Topic Author

Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:50 pm

Hi Nils

Quoting sultanils (Reply 4):
An interesting story, that’s for sure.

Thank you.

I also like the cabin interior of Luxair’s B737 with the dark blue and beige tones.

Yes, the cabin interior is rather nice. My only complaints are that the seats are rather tight and that there are no cabin dividers.

The meal presentation is nice I admit but I’d pass on that duck thing, same as you

Yes, gelatine and duck is not my favourite combination. Fortunately the return flight was much better.

Thanks for taking the time to comment Nils.

Cheers,
William

gabrielchew

Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:22 pm

Nice report William! I've always wanted to try Luxair, although TBH they don't look very impressive. That meal looks, er, interesting!
http://my.flightmemory.com/shefgab Upcoming flights: AMS-RIX-BUD-VDA,ETH-TLV-FCO-LHR,STN-TXL-LCY,LTN-CPH-LTN,LGW-SZG,MUC-LHR

Knightsofmalta
Topic Author

Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:44 pm

Hi Gabriel

Quoting gabrielchew (Reply 6):
Nice report William! I've always wanted to try Luxair, although TBH they don't look very impressive. That meal looks, er, interesting!

Funnily enough, Luxair was on my to-do list for a long time as well, but the opportunity never arose. Admittedly the return a few days later was much better, including the meal. The leg room however, is pretty bad.

Cheers,
William

emek96

Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:05 pm

Hi Knithsofmalta!

Nice report about Luxair, I've flown on LG around 10 times and the last 5 years or so, but always in Eco, never saw that that they offer Business class, at least not on the Q400s, but inflight service looks quite disappointing, the food in Eco usually is nearly the same as you got in Business, but I think they created Business class mainly for connecting pax.

Quoting knightsofmalta (Thread starter):
LOUNGE

Type of Lounge: Luxair lounge
Facilities: -
Internet: -

There is a Luxair lounge in Luxembourg, which is very nice. In the evenings though, it does tend to become rather busy as it’s not very big and it’s also the only lounge there is in Luxembourg, so in fact it’s available to the premium passengers of most of the airlines operating out of Luxembourg.

Yeah you are right, during peak hours (6AM-8AM) and your depature time the Luxair Lounge is quite a mess which can be really annoying if you want to relax because it usually is full of hectic Business travellers. But if you have a depature around 9 it much better, last in summer I went to paris around 9 and I had all the Lounge to myself, thats was really nice  

regards
Elias
Lufthansa is the best airline in the world!

Knightsofmalta
Topic Author

Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:56 pm

Hi Elias

Quoting emek96 (Reply 8):
Nice report about Luxair,

Thanks!

but inflight service looks quite disappointing, the food in Eco usually is nearly the same as you got in Business,

I wasn't too impressed with the food on the outbound either. But the breakfast they served on my inbound a few days later was excellent, much better.

Yeah you are right, during peak hours (6AM-8AM) and your depature time the Luxair Lounge is quite a mess which can be really annoying if you want to relax because it usually is full of hectic Business travellers. But if you have a depature around 9 it much better, last in summer I went to paris around 9 and I had all the Lounge to myself, thats was really nice

Just my luck. I'm usually on the KLM evening service which leave LUX at around 18h.

Cheers,
William

airbuseric

Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:09 pm

Hi William,

very dissappointing Luxair experience imho. I expect you paid a high fare, that airline is not cheap. And then the legroom on that 737, very bad. Normally they use the 737 to holiday destinations? In all eco layout?
Your story about the crew isn't good either, didn't they offer drink refills and such?

No reason to give them a try... if this is their average product...

Eric
"The whole world steps aside for the man who knows where he is going"

Knightsofmalta
Topic Author

Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:34 am

Hi Eric

Quoting airbuseric (Reply 10):
I expect you paid a high fare, that airline is not cheap.

That was not the issue, as it was part of a long-haul ticket to BKK on OS.

Normally they use the 737 to holiday destinations?

Apparently this was a rather unusual sub. Normally, as you say, it's the Dash 8 or the Embraer on this route. Not sure why we got the B737, the flight was far from being full.

Your story about the crew isn't good either, didn't they offer drink refills and such?

This crew were a bit weird.

No reason to give them a try... if this is their average product...

To be fair, the return flight was the complete opposite. The crew were very friendly and did a good job. And the catering on the return flight was excellent.

Cheers,
William

rogerbcn

Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:14 pm

Hola William!

Good to read new stories from you, always interesting. I had lost track of you somewhere over Eastern Australia some months ago...

Nice to see this European airline, which flies from the heart of Europe. I have seen them in BCN and fancied taking them but their prices are very steep compared to others on the same routes.

Surprised to hear about the crew service, it sounds more IB style, although they have made some improvements lately, and I am not talking about the disgraceful scheme color change. Crews seem to be more kind and caring, especially on the BCN-MAD shuttle.

Glad you made it safely to VIE.

Salut!

Roger
"At reise er at leve" H.C. Andersen (Traveling is Living)

Knightsofmalta
Topic Author

Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:33 pm

Hi Roger

Quoting rogerbcn (Reply 12):
Good to read new stories from you, always interesting.

Thanks!

I had lost track of you somewhere over Eastern Australia some months ago...

Oh yes, that was a year ago. So I figured I'd do the western half this year before heading off to Tahiti.

Nice to see this European airline, which flies from the heart of Europe. I have seen them in BCN and fancied taking them but their prices are very steep compared to others on the same routes.

I think that applies to everything in or from Luxembourg actually.

Surprised to hear about the crew service, it sounds more IB style, although they have made some improvements lately,

Funnily enough, the last time I flew Iberia I expected the worst and was pleasantly surprised.

I am not talking about the disgraceful scheme color change.

That is rather scandalous. The previous one was just so class.

Thanks for posting Roger.

Cheers,
William