Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Knightsofmalta
Topic Author

Austrian Airlines, Business Class To Bangkok

Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:09 pm

INTRODUCTION

I just arrived in Vienna on a Luxair flight from Luxembourg. I now have nearly four hours to make my connection to Bangkok.

Folie1

map

TRANSFER AT VIENNA AIRPORT

The flight from Luxembourg is operated as a code-share with Austrian Airlines. Even so, the bus from the aircraft to the terminal eventually drops us off at the C arrivals concourse, which is in one of the two wings of the old terminal.

And this is where things start to get a bit confusing. Upon entering the building, I follow the signs to the G gates, from where apparently my flight to Bangkok will be leaving. There is a shuttle that runs from the arrivals area C to the G gates. However, this only runs every 15 minutes and the service is provided by a little minibus.

IMG_2620

When I arrive at the pick up point for the shuttle, there are already quite a few people waiting. As a result, when eventually the shuttle arrives, only about a quarter of the queue find a place on the shuttle.

One of the passengers starts telling off the driver and the two of them start having an argument right there, outside, on the ramp and in front of everybody. Eventually the driver storm off, gets into the driver’s seat and drives off in a huff, leaving all the passengers who didn’t find a place in the shuttle standing there on the ramp unattended.

IMG_2621

Well this is just rubbish me thinks, so eventually I decide that probably the easiest thing will be to follow the signs marked ‘Exit Vienna’ and then to find my way to the new terminal landside. Much to my surprise though, just before I finally reach the exit there is yet another sign marked for the G gates. So I figure I might just give this a try. After all, I still have a few hours before my next flight.

IMG_2624

IMG_2625

IMG_2626

At long last I arrive at a passport control. For a moment I’m not sure if this is really to leave or to enter the Schengen area. But I pass through the check anyway, continue walking and eventually arrive at a security checkpoint, despite the fact that I’m transiting from another Schengen country, which should in fact not require me to go through security again. But in the sum of all things, that is just a minor issue and finally I find myself in the G concourse.

You know how sometimes you see or experience something and wonder ‘what on earth were they thinking’? Well, at Vienna airport it’s really more a question of ‘were they actually thinking’? And it’s not just the cumbersome transfer either. Everything in the new facility seems very cheaply made, giving the entire place the unfinished air of a temporary installation.

CHECK-IN

My suitcase has been checked through to Bangkok. I was also issued a Luxair boarding pass for my onward connection when I checked in at Luxembourg airport. Which means I can head straight for the lounge.

LOUNGE

Type of Lounge:
Austrian Airlines Senator lounge
Facilities:
small rest area with loungers to lie on, showers, three workstations with computers
Internet:
Vienna airport network, which is in fact very fast and works nicely

Austrian Airlines has three lounges: a Business Class lounge, Senator lounge and the Hon Lounge. There is a common reception area for the lounges, which is also where the lavatories and showers are located.

IMG_2627

I arrive in the middle of a bitch fight going on between two of the three lounge dragons. One of them wants to know who let ‘that woman’ into the Hon lounge, who quite evidently should not be there. To which the other replies that she has simply no idea, despite the fact that she always has to do all the dirty work. Charming!

The lounge is quite small. But that’s alright really because the place is hardly crowded. In fact it looks rather abandoned.

IMG_2628

IMG_2629

IMG_2633

IMG_2634

IMG_2635

At this time of the day the food options don’t really looks that appetizing anymore either. But apart from that, all the food seems rather greasy. As a warm dish there’s something that looks like macaroni cheese and for the two cold dishes there’s a potato salad with way too much mayonnaise and grilled aubergines drowned in an oily tomato sauce.

IMG_2630

IMG_2631

IMG_2632

BOARDING

Priority Boarding: Yes. Vienna has automatic gates. However, there is a priority lane for premium passengers. There are also two airbridges attached to the aircraft, with the left one being for Business Class passengers.

IMG_2637

IMG_2638

IMG_2639

IMG_2640

CABIN

Configuration: 2 + 2 + 1
Seat: staggered layout, very similar to what Swiss has
Pitch: 40’ / bed length 78’
Width: 19.37’
Facilities: power outlets, reading light, overhead lamp, shoe net
Audio and Video: audio and video with touch screen functionality

All in all the seat is rather nice. It’s very similar to Swiss’ product in Business Class. Austrian Airlines has evidently put a lot of thought into how to make the best of the available space. Of course it helps that I’m sitting on one of the single seats which have stowage space on both sides of the seat. But it’s also little things like the shoe net for you to place shoes during the flight or the bottle holders on either side of the screen, which incidentally are also rather handy for your iPhone.

IMG_2641

IMG_2642

IMG_2643

IMG_2644

IMG_2648

IMG_2649

IMG_2651

IMG_2652

IMG_2653

The seat is very comfortable. The only thing I can complain about is that it’s a bit tight when you try to convert to seat into a bed. I’m a rather average 6’1 and my legs kept getting in the way. Once the seat has been expanded into a bed though, it’s not a problem any more.

IMG_2659

IMG_2663

When I arrive at my seat, the vanity kit has already been placed there.

IMG_2650

SERVICE

Excellent! I have rarely come across such a professional crew. They are quite a stark contrast to the OS crews I experienced earlier in the year on my trip to Cyprus. The crew on today’s flight are all very friendly and welcoming. The service is impeccable but without being fussy and you get the impression that the crew are making a point to give the passengers as much personal space as they can but without ignoring them. Another thing which really strikes me, I am a linguist after all, is the very high level of English spoken by the Austrian crew. Not to mention the Thai spoken by the captain.

THE MEAL

Pre departure drinks: yes, I have the orange juice, there is also champagne and a signature cocktail

IMG_2657

Pre meal drinks: yes, another OJ – it’s good for you – served with a dish of nuts

IMG_2669

Choice: three choices for the first course, four choices for the main, five choices for dessert
Delivery:
individual service, separately laid out table

IMG_2666

IMG_2667

IMG_2668

IMG_2673
Type of meal:
dinner
Menu:
there is a menu for the drinks and food plus another menu for the coffees
Meal:

• smoked salmon with beetroot and a beetroot

IMG_2677

IMG_2678
  • consommé of beef with dumplings

IMG_2675
  • rigatoni with lamb ragout and parmesan

IMG_2679

IMG_2680

IMG_2681
  • chocolate mouse with a centre of green coconut crème brûlée, a ball of frozen yoghurt and Austrian style pancakes with berries

IMG_2682

IMG_2685

IMG_2684
  • bread rolls

• apple juice

IMG_2670
  • mint tea

IMG_2686
  • a little box of chocolates

Wow, what a meal! First of all I think it’s quite unusual to be given a choice of three starters in Business Class these days. What’s more, it’s seems that most passengers are having at least two of the options, which does not seem to bother the crew in any way, despite the fact that the load in Business is rather high.

I have the salmon starter, which is very good. It’s a good quality piece of salmon, which isn’t fishy at all. I also like the beetroot hummus. The taste of the tahini is clearly discernible, but with a distinct hint of beetroot.

The soup is very tasty and light. The dumpling in it is simply divine. I have no idea what they put in this but it’s excellent. Full of many different well balanced flavours.

But the whole thing just keeps getting better and better. The rigatoni are nice and chewy and the ragout tastes like something you might get at an Italian restaurant somewhere in Rome. This is excellent!

By the time I finish the main course, I’ve already made a mental note to skip dessert and the cheese. That is, until I see the desserts, at which point I decide that it would be a pity to disappoint the people who read the stuff I write by not taking pictures of the dessert. And so one suffers in silence…

I don’t know how the Austrians do it, but they certainly know their stuff when it comes to making desserts. The chocolate mouse is so chocolaty and fluffy that it seems hardly possible, and the combination with the crème brûlée deserves a Nobel prize as far as I’m concerned. With dessert I have a glass of sweet wine, as suggested by the cabin crew. But I forget to as what it was.

Unfortunately the pictures can hardly do justice to this epic and excellent meal. Especially seeing as the lighting conditions were not very good. But it certainly was a very fine meal.

And then I change into my shorts and go off to bed. I only awake 90 minutes out of Bangkok and feel really relaxed and rested. I haven’t slept so well on a plane in a long time!

Just as I return to my seat, the second service is about to begin. Orders for the breakfast service are taken right after departure from Vienna by the on board chef.

SECOND SERVICE

IMG_2689

Menu:
  • a bowl of fresh fruit

IMG_2690
  • yoghurt with home made granola (very tasty)

IMG_2692

IMG_2693
  • a selection of breads, including toast

IMG_2691
  • an omelette with bell peppers and mozzarella, potatoes and tomatoes

IMG_2695

IMG_2696

IMG_2697
  • coffee and orange juice (there are also smoothies available)

IMG_2687

Once more I am amazed, not only by the tempo of the service, but also by the quality and taste of the food and how it is presented on the plate.

ARRIVAL

We arrive in Bangkok a few minutes ahead of schedule. The Austrian Airlines flight is normally one of the earlier ones to come in during the afternoon bank. As a result, the queues for immigration are quite manageable. If, like me, you need a via on arrival, you will need to pay THB1000.- for the visa. If you’re in a hurry or don’t want to wait, for an additional THB200.- you can have your request processed at the fast track counter, which will take you not more than two minutes.

Austrian Airlines does not provide fast track cards for immigration to its passengers.

IMG_2700

IMG_2701

IMG_2703

IMG_2704

IMG_2705

WHERE TO STAY

Talk about a déjà-vu! The driver from the Peninsula is the same guy who picked me up last time. What’s more, he even recognises me! I’m driven to the hotel in a lovely BMW 7. It’s in the standard Peninsula forest green and it looks gorgeous.

IMG_2706

IMG_2707

IMG_2708

We pull up by the main entrance, where I am already being expected. Check-in at the Peninsula is done in the room. On our way up to the 25th floor, the young lady informs me that they have taken the liberty to put me in the same room as on my previous stay.

IMG_2709

IMG_2711

IMG_2712

IMG_2713

This place is just so nice!

CONCLUSION

Austrian Airlines’ inflight product is excellent on this flight. The crew are highly professional and experienced, the hard product is pretty decent and the food is simply to die for. Let’s put it this way, if the return turns out to be equally good, then I’m willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and simply assume that my not so good experience to Cyprus was an exception.

Austrian is a bit unlucky to have to call a place like Vienna airport its hub. I really do think the facility has some serious issues going on that make it really very unpleasant and rather unattractive too. So I guess in future, it will be a question of weighing the tastiness of the rigatoni and lamb ragout against the inconvenience of transiting through Vienna.

abrelosojos

RE: Austrian Airlines, Business Class To Bangkok

Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:40 pm

Quoting knightsofmalta (Thread starter):
I arrive in the middle of a bitch fight going on between two of the three lounge dragons. One of them wants to know who let ‘that woman’ into the Hon lounge, who quite evidently should not be there. To which the other replies that she has simply no idea, despite the fact that she always has to do all the dirty work. Charming!
One of the passengers starts telling off the driver and the two of them start having an argument right there, outside, on the ramp and in front of everybody. Eventually the driver storm off, gets into the driver’s seat and drives off in a huff, leaving all the passengers who didn’t find a place in the shuttle standing there on the ramp unattended.

= Wow. Your Vienna experience sounds awful. I have heard similar horror stories from several others.

Thankfully, the flight was a lot better. OS seems great, and it is good that your crew helped in this regard as well. Thanks for writing this up.

Saludos,
Alex
Live, and let live.

debonair

Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:18 pm

Nice TR...

Everything in the new facility seems very cheaply made, giving the entire place the unfinished air of a temporary installation.

Never been to the new "SkyLink" - but just by judging from your pictures it's still a BIG improvement to the old Terminal!
Most passengers I know are complaining about the lack of transfer counters and staff to assist. What a shame!

lychemsa

Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:30 pm

I have watched Schwechat Airport grow since 1957 when we took my grandmother to the airport leaving on an EL AL Constellation. I actually arrived in 1956 on Swissair but I don't remember a thing as I was too small.

AUA was only established in 1957 with a few Vickers Viscounts.

I left in 1958 on BEA, returned in 1972 on AUA, left on Malev when it was still a quiet airport with not too many flights.

Then already by 1992 it started being a busy airport with long ceck-in lines.
I have not returned since but it's unbelievable to look at the pictures when I compare it back to the past.

I love Austrian food. For me they make the best soups and deserts. And Wienerschnitzel made with veal and cooked properly, is my favourite dish.

globalflyer

Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:54 pm

Great report. I regularly take the OS Business Class from JFK and have had nothing but excellent service and food. I find the OS service superior to the other LH team carriers.
Landing on every Continent almost on an annual basis!

AA737-823

Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:23 am

I always love your trip reports, because they're both USEFUL, in addition to you never sounding like a SNOB.
There's untol value in that...

But this time, I will say that your experience in Vienna's great (imho) airport did NOT mirror mine in March and April.
I found the lounge dragons to be very, very friendly, one even suggesting that I stay far longer than I thought I should, as the airport is small and there would be no rush to get to my gate for departure.
I didn't transfer, though; so I can't comment on what sounds to be an under-sized transfer bus system.

I did, like you, thoroughly enjoy my Austrian Biz class experience. The best dessert I've ever consumed in my entire life was onboard VIE-ORD in April... another chocolate mousse creation, except my was a cylindrical piece, with a crunchy base of something like toffee crumble???
Oh..... I nearly cried while I ate it!

Anyhow, cheers for the trip report, and THANK YOU for makign that terrible sacrifice of participating in dessert for us!

EL-AL

Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:28 am

Hey KOM,

Thank you for the report. I share your conclusion about the new seat - when I was trying it when it was introduced to the press in Israel, my feel were also cramped when I tried to lay down. I was not impressed at all. Also, I do not like the relative distance from the window.

Food looks great though, both in the lounge and on board. Hope you had a great time in Thailand.

Jonathan
every day is a good day to fly

TheCommodore

Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:27 am

Fantastic report, thanks for sharing.

You are right, the meals look wonderful, and the cabin seats etc well planned. It gives a feeling of space, but yet cozy at the same time.

And the Luxury car ride to finish things off, brilliant !

Cheers

TheCommodore
“At first, they'll only dislike what you say, but the more correct you start sounding the more they'll dislike you.”

infodesk

Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:15 am

Hi William,

I can’t seem to keep up with your reports theses days but when I saw OS business I just had to read it. OS doesn’t often get rave here, my flights with them have been mediocre and I don’t like VIE airport, it makes me feel like I’m on my way to a funeral as it’s so depressing.

All the more surprised I am now that you had such a super experience on Austrian. It’s good to know they can and do get it right! I think I mentioned last time that I like the triangular plates, very Matterhorn-like, perhaps LX should introduce them?!

Shame on VIE though for having such a complicated transfer prcedure to the G gates.

After seeing your pics of the Peninsula I’ve decided it’s time to visit Bangkok!

One of the passengers starts telling off the driver and the two of them start having an argument right there, outside, on the ramp and in front of everybody
arrive in the middle of a bitch fight going on between two of the three lounge dragons. One of them wants to know who let ‘that woman’ into the Hon lounge, who quite evidently should not be there. To which the other replies that she has simply no idea, despite the fact that she always has to do all the dirty work. Charming!

Sounds like it was quite the day for fights, wasn’t it?

By the time I finish the main course, I’ve already made a mental note to skip dessert and the cheese. That is, until I see the desserts, at which point I decide that it would be a pity to disappoint the people who read the stuff I write by not taking pictures of the dessert. And so one suffers in silence…

You can’t miss dessert. I thank you for your suffering, it was worth it  
a selection of breads, including toast

Crusts removed, how classy!

Happy flying
Infodesk   
"Do nothing in haste, look well to each step and from the beginning think what may be the end" - Edward Whymper

agrflyer

Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:13 am

thanks for writing this report. as always it was a pleasure reading it. I am somehow jealous as OS has my favourite C class on longhaul flights of european carrier.
as much as I like the city of vienna (I even lived their for 3/4 of a year in 2007) the old part of the airport is a dump. In addition to this transferring from skylink to D gates is rather confusing. last year I flew ZRH-VIE-YYZ and I did not find a way to go to the D gates airside. For whatever reason OS to YYZ left always from the D gates at that time.
July 2018, A3 C-Class ZRH-ATH-TLV-ATH-VIE
July 2018, OS C-Class VIE-ZRH
September 2018, ZRH-MXP-VIE-YYZ-LGA / JFK-VIE-ZRH on OS, LX and AC in Y and C

Knightsofmalta
Topic Author

Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:40 pm

Hi A.

How have you been? Long time no read.

Quoting abrelosojos (Reply 1):
= Wow. Your Vienna experience sounds awful. I have heard similar horror stories from several others.

It was rather bad. you somehow get the feeling the ran out of money and had to make a few unsightly compromises.

Thankfully, the flight was a lot better. OS seems great, and it is good that your crew helped in this regard as well.

Yes, the flight made up for a lot. Curious to see what the return will be like.

Thanks for writing this up.

Pleasure.

Hi debonair

Quoting debonair (Reply 2):
Nice TR...

Thanks.

Never been to the new "SkyLink" - but just by judging from your pictures it's still a BIG improvement to the old Terminal!

Well admittedly, it is an improvement. But then again, it's like comparing an old Lada to a Smart.

Most passengers I know are complaining about the lack of transfer counters and staff to assist. What a shame!

Now that you mention it, I only came across one transfer desk, at that was quite by chance.

Hi lychemsa

Quoting lychemsa (Reply 3):
I love Austrian food. For me they make the best soups and deserts. And Wienerschnitzel made with veal and cooked properly, is my favourite dish.

I don't blame you and I fully agree. Austrian food is generally very tasty, but for me the desserts they make are the best.

Hi Globalflyer

Quoting globalflyer (Reply 4):
Great report. I regularly take the OS Business Class from JFK and have had nothing but excellent service and food. I find the OS service superior to the other LH team carriers.

Thanks! Actually I think I would agree with you on that one. I've stopped using LH and LX because they somehow always leave me with a feeling of meh. Maybe I've just used them too often.

Hi AA737-823

Quoting AA737-823 (Reply 5):
I always love your trip reports, because they're both USEFUL, in addition to you never sounding like a SNOB.

Thanks. As long as I sound like an airline geek I'm happy!

But this time, I will say that your experience in Vienna's great (imho) airport did NOT mirror mine in March and April.

Well, I'll see what the experience will be like on my way back. I'll keep you posted.

The best dessert I've ever consumed in my entire life was onboard VIE-ORD in April... another chocolate mousse creation, except my was a cylindrical piece, with a crunchy base of something like toffee crumble???
Oh..... I nearly cried while I ate it!

That sounds rather nice. I can fully relate to your emotional state. When I tried the chocolate mouse I'm sure I could hear angel choirs in the background!

Hi Jonathan

Quoting EL-AL (Reply 6):
Thank you for the report. I share your conclusion about the new seat - when I was trying it when it was introduced to the press in Israel, my feel were also cramped when I tried to lay down.

Pleasure. The seat was alright. It was just a bit difficult to extend into a bed while still sitting/lying in it.

Quoting EL-AL (Reply 6):
Food looks great though, both in the lounge and on board. Hope you had a great time in Thailand.

Yep, Bangkok has been very laid back and relaxing.

Hi Commodore

Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 7):
Fantastic report, thanks for sharing.

Thanks, my pleasure.

You are right, the meals look wonderful, and the cabin seats etc well planned. It gives a feeling of space, but yet cozy at the same time.

Cozy really is the right word to use. The flight had a pleasant vibe, really relaxing.

And the Luxury car ride to finish things off, brilliant !

Actually, this morning I was running late so I called the concierge to ask if they could organise a car. When I came down, they had the Rolls waiting. That was just so cool!

Hi Hannah

Quoting infodesk (Reply 8):
I can’t seem to keep up with your reports theses days

Sorry about that. Alas, there's no sign of improvement. Actually I'm only posting the interesting ones.

OS doesn’t often get rave here, my flights with them have been mediocre and I don’t like VIE airport, it makes me feel like I’m on my way to a funeral as it’s so depressing.

It doesn't help that the airport was nearly deserted when I passed through. It really does make you feel depressed.

It’s good to know they can and do get it right! I think I mentioned last time that I like the triangular plates, very Matterhorn-like, perhaps LX should introduce them?!

Well, it's about time Swiss introduced a few changes to its inflight product. Not so sure they'd be too happy with people mixing them up with OS though.

Shame on VIE though for having such a complicated transfer prcedure to the G gates.

Yes, makes you appreciate Zurich a lot more.

After seeing your pics of the Peninsula I’ve decided it’s time to visit Bangkok!

Definitely! Although I must warn you a snake fell off a tree today and landed on my foot. Rather freaked my out.

Sounds like it was quite the day for fights, wasn’t it?

Full moon?

You can’t miss dessert. I thank you for your suffering, it was worth it

Well you know. I'm a stoic kind of a guy. I suffer in silence...

Crusts removed, how classy!

Trust you to notice that!

Hi Agrflyer

Quoting agrflyer (Reply 9):
thanks for writing this report. as always it was a pleasure reading it. I am somehow jealous as OS has my favourite C class on longhaul flights of european carrier.

Thank you, my pleasure. If OS is always like this on long-haul, I can appreciate your choice!

Quoting agrflyer (Reply 9):
as much as I like the city of vienna (I even lived their for 3/4 of a year in 2007) the old part of the airport is a dump. In addition to this transferring from skylink to D gates is rather confusing. last year I flew ZRH-VIE-YYZ and I did not find a way to go to the D gates airside. For whatever reason OS to YYZ left always from the D gates at that time.

I'm curious to see what will happen on the return. Actually I'm wondering which lounge I'll be able to use in Vienna, seeing as the onward connection is with LG.

Thanks to all for taking the time to comment.

Cheers,
William

sultanils

Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:22 pm

Hello William,

A good read once again! In the beginning of this year, I had my 1st transfer in the new VIE and I was pretty happy with how it went: smooth and relaxed. However I must note that the transfer was from OS longhaul to OS shorthaul and no bus things involved so that must have added to the convenience. Still I understand that the experience you had was pretty sh***. Much better on the flight where OS clearly showed their strength and when it all comes together one can have a flight like yours: nearly faultless. I was also quite happy on OS’ B763 a while ago, but the crew was a bit of a letdown unfortunately.

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

nelsony

Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:57 pm

wow wow wow wow

that looked impressive, it looks as high quality service as Swiss Air, so not only do they share the hard product but their on board service is both high quality.

Swiss' seats looks more elegant in my opinion, i think due to the use of the faux wood panel.

I am glad you picked the dessert, so you can review it also, its like mission impossible sometimes. when you have a big starter, a soup and main... and you look at the dessert menu and you think "i cant do this" lol so I hope you didn't suffer too much with that mission!

That's cool how they let passengers have two options or more for starters, considering some airlines I've flown in J and its very black and white. You get 1 choice of starter, main, dessert OR cheese, not dessert AND/or cheese.
I think that is just stingy. But Austrian seems to be good!

Well your trip started with a lot of drama, the argument with the bus driver and the argument between the lounge dragons! LOL who knew Austrians were full of drama.

Vienna Airport could use a makeover, that Business and Economy arrow sign looks like it was drawn my children.

Knightsofmalta
Topic Author

Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:58 pm

Hi Nils

Quoting sultanils (Reply 11):
A good read once again!

Thanks!

In the beginning of this year, I had my 1st transfer in the new VIE and I was pretty happy with how it went: smooth and relaxed. However I must note that the transfer was from OS longhaul to OS shorthaul and no bus things involved so that must have added to the convenience.

That must have been on the trip to Dubai, if I'm not mistaken? To be fair, I think as long as you're transferring on OS, you should be fine. On the other hand it would be rather convenient if they let other carriers they code-share with use the same facility.

I was also quite happy on OS’ B763 a while ago, but the crew was a bit of a letdown unfortunately.

The crews on OS seems to be a bit of a lottery I think. Fortunately the one I had on this flight was really good.

Hi Nelsony

Quoting nelsony (Reply 12):
that looked impressive, it looks as high quality service as Swiss Air, so not only do they share the hard product but their on board service is both high quality.

To be quite honest, I think they surpass Swiss in terms of service, quality and quantity of the food and hardware.

Swiss' seats looks more elegant in my opinion, i think due to the use of the faux wood panel.

It's hard to say, I think the Swiss seat and Austrian's are both rather elegant. All in all though, I think the OS seat gives you more space than LX's.

I am glad you picked the dessert, so you can review it also, its like mission impossible sometimes. when you have a big starter, a soup and main... and you look at the dessert menu and you think "i cant do this" lol so I hope you didn't suffer too much with that mission!

I suffer in silence. And then I go to the gym and all is well again...

Well your trip started with a lot of drama, the argument with the bus driver and the argument between the lounge dragons! LOL who knew Austrians were full of drama.

I don't mind the drama, but I was rather upset about how the bus driver left all the passengers milling about outside. That was just plain irresponsible and a bit childish actually.

Vienna Airport could use a makeover, that Business and Economy arrow sign looks like it was drawn my children.

Funny you should say that, it's what I thought when I saw the sign!

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Cheers,
William

gabrielchew

Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:32 pm

Nice to see an excellent OS flight! I just love the OS catering with the triangular plates. I wonder if they still do stuff like that in Y?

You know how sometimes you see or experience something and wonder ‘what on earth were they thinking’? Well, at Vienna airport it’s really more a question of ‘were they actually thinking’? And it’s not just the cumbersome transfer either. Everything in the new facility seems very cheaply made, giving the entire place the unfinished air of a temporary installation.

I know what you mean. I was quite shocked when I passed through last year...what were they thinking when they came up with that bland, unforgiving terminal?
http://my.flightmemory.com/shefgab Upcoming flights: AMS-RIX-BUD-VDA,ETH-TLV-FCO-LHR,STN-TXL-LCY,LTN-CPH-LTN,LGW-SZG,MUC-LHR

readytotaxi

Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:56 pm

On our way up to the 25th floor, the young lady informs me that they have taken the liberty to put me in the same room as on my previous stay.

Well that just sums up the whole trip,Nice one William.  
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

Knightsofmalta
Topic Author

Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:49 pm

Hi Gabriel

Quoting gabrielchew (Reply 14):
Nice to see an excellent OS flight! I just love the OS catering with the triangular plates. I wonder if they still do stuff like that in Y?

The catering really was outstanding. To be fair, my previous trip with OS had been in Business Class from Vienna to Larnaca and back. But while the food on those flights was good, the crews were really bad. On this trip to Bangkok however, everything came together nicely. The food is excellent and the crew were really friendly and very attentive.

Quoting gabrielchew (Reply 14):
I know what you mean. I was quite shocked when I passed through last year...what were they thinking when they came up with that bland, unforgiving terminal?

From what little I found on the net it looks as though they ran out of money and had to make a few unpleasant compromises.

Hi Robert

Quoting readytotaxi (Reply 15):
Well that just sums up the whole trip,Nice one William.

Glad you enjoyed the report. It certainly was a fun trip.

Cheers,
William

hirofumi

Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:41 pm

That looks like really yummy, thanks for posting! Do you recall if there was an on-board chef or was the team entirely OS crew? Was OS the best experience in catering compared to other airlines?

I'm curious to know how it compares with TK - which seems to be another airline that's putting an effort in on-board catering.

Knightsofmalta
Topic Author

Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:13 pm

Hi Hirofumi

Quoting hirofumi (Reply 17):
That looks like really yummy, thanks for posting! Do you recall if there was an on-board chef or was the team entirely OS crew? Was OS the best experience in catering compared to other airlines?

There was an on board chef. In fact he was introduced in a separate announcement even.

As far as the experience is concerned, it's hard to say. But I think OS long-haul certainly features among the better ones.

Quoting hirofumi (Reply 17):
I'm curious to know how it compares with TK - which seems to be another airline that's putting an effort in on-board catering.

I can't really speak for TK long-haul. My experiences so far have always been on relatively short sectors.

Cheers,
William

anstar

Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:38 pm

Looks like a great product.

Wow, what a meal! First of all I think it’s quite unusual to be given a choice of three starters in Business Class these days.

I know Virgin Atlantic offer a choice of 3 starters, 4 mains, 2 Desserts and then a cheese trolley. So there are other EU airlines with 3 starters...just not many!

nethkt

Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:00 am

A very well done trip report. I enjoy all the details and pictures. 5 stars trip report on your upper class travel as usual.

I'm looking to redeem a business class award ticket from ORD to Croatia, comparing between LH 748 biz and OS 767 biz, maybe I will just go with the low profile Austrian 767 with perhaps better food options.

Will keep following your trip reports.
Cheers,
NET-HKT
Let's just blame it on yields.

Knightsofmalta
Topic Author

Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:58 am

Hi Anstar

Quoting anstar (Reply 19):
Looks like a great product.

Indeed, it is. I suspect that the crew may be a bit of a wild card from other reports I've seen. But I had really nothing to complain about.

Quoting anstar (Reply 19):
I know Virgin Atlantic offer a choice of 3 starters, 4 mains, 2 Desserts and then a cheese trolley. So there are other EU airlines with 3 starters...just not many!

I think it might have something to do with the fact that OS, like VS, has no First Class, which they try to make up for with an enhanced Business Class product.

Hi Nethkt

Quoting nethkt (Reply 20):
A very well done trip report. I enjoy all the details and pictures. 5 stars trip report on your upper class travel as usual.

Thank you.

Quoting nethkt (Reply 20):
I'm looking to redeem a business class award ticket from ORD to Croatia, comparing between LH 748 biz and OS 767 biz, maybe I will just go with the low profile Austrian 767 with perhaps better food options.

It's hard to say, although I think I'd go with OS too. I have yet to try the new LH seat, but from what I've read here and on other forums, the seat takes getting used to. Also, transferring through Vienna must be better than having to go trekking through Frankfurt. Apart from that the catering is certainly much better than LH.

Cheers,
William