Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jwhite9185
Topic Author

Oz 2014 2: Qatar Business BCN-DOH-SIN A333/77W

Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:14 pm

Maps generated by theGreat Circle Mapper -copyright © Karl L. Swartz.

Videos related to this report

Barcelona – Doha A330: http://youtu.be/nrO9bfbhNB0
Doha – Singapore 777-300ER: http://youtu.be/hPx2EaU1eWU

Hi there, and thanks for taking a look at the second installment from my trip down under in April. If you missed the first part, which saw me position to Barcelona on EasyJet, then it can be seen here:

Oz 2014 1: Positioning LGW-BCN With EasyJet (by jwhite9185 May 26 2014 in Trip Reports)

The focus of this report will be on the following outbound flights:

Those eagle eyed readers will notice a bit of a difference in equipment from the original itinerary posted in part 1. One of the A330-300’s was subbed for an A330-200, which would be a new sub type, and the 777-300ER scheduled to operate the return from SIN had been swapped out for a 787. Again, this suited me, as it would be by first flight on a 787 that was longer than about 2.5 hours. But you’ll have to wait for a later part in the series for that.

Check in was made 48 hours prior to departure.

Picking up from the last part then - I checked out of my hotel and headed towards the beach and the Olympic village - the plan was to spend the morning walking back to where the bus left in the city centre. Unfortunately it wasn’t as sunny as it was, but at least it was still warm enough.

Making my way up La Rambla

After a pleasant walk, it was on to a bus to the airport, arriving around 25 minutes later.

I made my way to the Qatar business check in, which was pretty much right where the bus dropped me.

The agent was more interested in chatting to her colleague than acknowledging I was there. Black mark against Qatar straight away there, although if this is the worst thing that happens then it will have worked out well. When she did acknowledge me, it was only to inform me that the flight had been delayed by 20 to 30 minutes or so as the aircraft now wouldn't arrive into BCN until 15:00 local. Somehow, I think it's going to take some effort to turn an A330 around in an hour and fifteen... She was also so wrapped up in her chat, she forgot to put a burgundy bag tag on my cabin bag. Not a major issue, but still shows a lack of attention.

Due to the delay, rather than make a bolt through security, I found a bench outside and enjoyed some fresh air - especially as the sun had now put in an appearance.

Eventually, I submitted and made my way through security.

Instead of going straight through passport control, I took a wander through the Schengen area for a while.

Although not a huge amount was going on outside, so I made my way up to the lounge.

Upon reaching the lounge, there was a slight issue with my entry - which slightly confused me as I was both flying business and had OneWorld status - so either ways should have been granted entry without issue. Eventually I was let in and I grabbed a couple of snacks.

A few moments after I sat down, the lounge agent approached me and asked if I was flying with Qatar... Yes. She then asked if I've got a boarding pass... Yes, that's what I just showed you. Do you have a proper boarding pass... I reached into my bag and grabbed the one I was given at check in. She was happy enough, and said that she just needed to see that I had a real one (as this had the lounge entry written on it) and not the home printed one. Strange. I wonder what would have happened if I was flying in Y and wanted entry from my OneWorld status? The lounge was comfortable enough, but it was a little dark and they didn't seem to offer any Wi-Fi either - just the free airport one for 15 minutes... Which I used up my share of previously.

I amused myself in the lounge with a newspaper, until gate E70 was announced at 14:45.

Feeling like a change of scenery, I made my way down, only to find there wasn't an aircraft on stand. At least I could amuse myself with some of the other movements.

By 15:30, when there still wasn't any sign of an aircraft, and the crew were still firmly planted in the waiting area, I figured the 30 minute delay quoted by the check in agent was now looking a little optimistic. A few moments later, the familiar grey and burgundy jet appeared from around the corner and pulled on to stand - ten minutes before scheduled departure time.

Soon after, an announcement was made saying that boarding would begin at 16:10. Still a little optimistic in my view...

I had tried to work one of these into the schedule. Flight times weren’t on my side though.

The plane is here, so everybody seems to think we will be boarding in the next 2 minutes…

Boarding eventually began at 16:15, although it wasn't actually announced. As it turned out, it was the same gate agent that checked me in, and she insisted that I used the boarding pass she had given me... So no souvenir boarding pass for me today. I made my way down the jet bridge, where it forked. Business passengers to the left, economy to the right. So no left turn for me today.

jwhite9185
Topic Author

RE: Oz 2014 2: Qatar Business BCN-DOH-SIN A333/77W

Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:16 pm

QR140
BCN-DOH
April 2014
A330-200 / A7-BCJ
Seat: 2K / Business
Scheduled: 15:45/23:15
Off Stand: 16:46
On Stand: 23:44

I was welcomed on board and shown to my seat. Ready and waiting was a set of noise cancelling headphones, pillow and a quilt.

I always like seeing this sort of thing.

A few moments later the crew member serving my side of the aisle introduced herself and commented on the fact I was heading on to Singapore after this flight. She returned a few moments later with an amenity kit and probably one of the cheapest menus I've seen. Followed with some water.

Is this mine or the crews?

A few moments after this, both hot and cold towels were distributed.

Safety video shown whilst still on stand.

Pushback commenced an hour later than scheduled and we made a pretty quick taxi out to the runway.

Followed by a private A318

We made a quick takeoff roll before immediately banking to the right, over the sea. Therefore views were limited.

I took the opportunity to see what was in the amenity kit.

Once the crew was released, they came around taking meal orders - and apologised for the rather naff looking menus. Apparently, this was due to a last minute catering change.
I ordered the noodles and some champagne. A few moments later, the purser came and introduced herself and apologised for the delay. She said we were due to arrive into Doha at 23:40, so around 25 minutes behind schedule.

I noticed a magazine rack at the back of the cabin – I went and took a look and found the latest edition of T3 to keep me entertained until the meal service began a few minutes later.

Lunch with a view

It was finished off with a cappuccino, a hot towel, and some chocolates 'courtesy of Qatar Airways'.

Following this, I decided to check out the IFE. To be honest it was pretty poor. There didn’t appear to be any front end to it, so it was a case of flicking through the thirty odd channels, and waiting for the opening credits before you knew what you were watching. At least until I had a look in the IFE guide anyway. Then it all made sense – it was pre set to video mode, when it needed to be set to interactive instead. I went with the secret life of Walter Mitty.

As the film went on, the light was fast disappearing outside, and the mood lights came on for a little while.

Later in the flight, as I was one of the few people still awake, I was handed a survey to fill out. I was glad about this, so I could let the airline know about the poor showing of the contract workers back in BCN.

Darkness in the cabin

Just as I was filling out the survey, the ever attentive crew member approaches me and asks if I'd like something to drink and some cake before landing. Of course, I couldn't turn down the cake! And feeling adventurous, I thought I'd try a Cointreau. Yet another hot towel appeared too.

Descent started into pretty much darkness. It was out over the water before swinging around into DOH.

Arrivals video shown on descent

We touched down and made a short taxi on to stand. Upon arrival, there was a bit of a wait before making my way down the stairs on to a waiting bus.

It was then a tour of DOH - first stopping at the arrivals terminal before heading off in the opposite direction, past the plane that had brought us here to the standard terminal, as an economy passenger had slipped on. It was then on our way to the premium terminal, through a brief security check, and then upstairs into the lounge. I didn’t go too mad in the duty free area as I had more than enough time to explore on my return.

As I entered, I noticed the Singapore flight was boarding. Not being quite with it, I thought it was mine – it seemed a little early, so I checked with one of the staff members. As it turned out, it was the earlier flight. Oops.

The lounge was pretty busy, as it took me an awful lot of searching to find a seat. In the end, I sat in the restaurant area.

The food selections were decent enough, but I didn’t go too mad as I planned on eating on board.

Within just a short period, the lounge cleared out and I moved to a more comfortable seat.

Boarding was called at 01:40 and I made my way down to gate 2.

It was on to a bus and then over to A7-BAX.

jwhite9185
Topic Author

Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:16 pm

QR944
DOH-SIN
April 2014
Boeing 777-300ER / A7-BAX
Seat: 1A / Business
Scheduled: 02:25/15:15
Off Stand: 02:50
On Stand: 15:18

Upon making my way up the stairs, it was immediately apparent that QR had put the extra space on this jet to much better use.

There was a lot more legroom.

Almost immediately, I was offered a welcome drink. A very refreshing lime and mint. A pair of PJ’s also showed up.

The menu on this flight was a lot more professional.

Boarding was completed and for the second time I didn't have a seatmate - the only spare seat in this business class cabin! Although I hadn't lucked out for long. Somebody who was sat further back wanted the bassinet. Oh well. Pushback was a little delayed, but it wasn't really announced as to why. When we did get going, it was over to the active for a bumpy take off, followed by a pretty good view of downtown Doha. Much like the previous flight though, it was straight out over the water and that was it for the views.

Once the seatbelt sign was switched off, I made my way to the washroom and changed into my PJ’s. There was a stack of toothbrushes and razors as well as the slightly higher quality soaps and lotions.

When I returned to my seat, the crew took my food options. I took the salmon palette pleaser followed by the cookies for the moment, followed by the omelette a little later in the flight.

As the food turned up, there were some decent views of the UAE.

Dubai in the distance

Shortly after departure, the crew came and attached the babies bassinet to the bulkhead, which completely blocked my escape path. Despite the fact that both mother and baby were fully reclined in their seat and fast asleep. Surely common sense would say that if they both seemed fine, leave it as it was until requested? Ironic how I had so much space in front of me, yet I was still marooned in my seat.

Although it didn't matter anyway. Soon afterwards, I decided to put the seat into bed mode and the next thing I knew the sun had come up, we had passed India and there were only a few hours until landing.

I drifted off for another hour or so until the cabin lights came up and breakfast was served.

Some nasty clouds over Kuala Lumpur.

Can I be dropped off here?!

Not long after I'd finished a very tasty breakfast, descent started. Luckily, the bassinet had vanished overnight, and I was able to escape to the washroom to freshen up unhindered – despite my seatmate still being fully reclined. Descent was a pretty cloudy affair.

Once we had cleared the quite turbulent clouds, there was a thud as the gear came down

We well and truly hit the deck at Singapore, along with some heavy braking action and full reverse. The 77W can be a noisy thing when it wants to be…

As I'd spotted the QR 787 on stand at the far end of the airport, I figured we would be going to join it. Instead though, we pulled on to stand just a short time after exiting the runway.

One of the locals

There was a bit of wait whilst the dual jet bridge was attached, and then it was off through T3.

Another stamp for the collection

Immigration was a bit slow, but by the time I had cleared it, my bag was ready and waiting for me - in fact it was one of the last going around the carousel. I’ve always wondered who that bag belongs to which comes out first and then you see doing lap after lap whilst you’re waiting hours for yours… turns out its me on this occasion!

Made it safe and sound all the way from BCN via DOH.

Following this, it was over to T2 to catch my connecting flight... But that story will have to wait for another day!

I thought Qatar were pretty good in Business. The 777 service was far superior to the A330, but I guess that’s due to the fact that they’re used on the longer routes where as the A330’s are kept mainly for mid haul. The contract staff at BCN didn’t deliver a particularly premium experience, but I can hardly blame QR for that. I also felt they may be up selling their premium terminal slightly. It was a decent enough place to wait, but it’s quite literally just a pair of lounges above a small duty free shop. The on board service cant be faulted though.

Previous trip reports

Oz 2014 1: Positioning LGW-BCN With EasyJet (by jwhite9185 May 26 2014 in Trip Reports)
Salzburg With BA In Club On The 737-400.March 2014 (by jwhite9185 May 11 2014 in Trip Reports)
The Red Nosed Way To Faro. LGW-OSL-FAO-LGW DY/BA (by jwhite9185 Apr 28 2014 in Trip Reports)
New Year, New AA: LHR-ORD-BOS-JFK-LHR 772/738/77W (by jwhite9185 Apr 1 2014 in Trip Reports)
To Fly, To Serve: BA LGW-VCE-LCY 737/E170 Dec.13 (by jwhite9185 Mar 22 2014 in Trip Reports)
Alicante With BA In J: LHR-ALC-LGW A319/734 Nov.13 (by jwhite9185 Mar 16 2014 in Trip Reports)
The EZY Way To Catch A LAN 787 LGW-MAD-FRA-ARN-LHR (by jwhite9185 Feb 21 2014 in Trip Reports)
Trains, Planes And… Boats? ZRH A.net Meet (by jwhite9185 Feb 5 2014 in Trip Reports)
Asia 4: Heading Home On An A380 KUL-LHR (by jwhite9185 Jan 20 2014 in Trip Reports)
Asia 3: JAL 767 To Kuala Lumpur NRT-KUL (by jwhite9185 Jan 10 2014 in Trip Reports)
Asia 2:Catching A Cathay Pacific 747 To Tokyo In F (by jwhite9185 Dec 22 2013 in Trip Reports)
Asia 1: A Journey Of Epic Proportions LHR-KUL-HKG (by jwhite9185 Dec 8 2013 in Trip Reports)
Comparing The Competition Again: VS/BA LHR-ABZ-LHR (by jwhite9185 Nov 24 2013 in Trip Reports)
Across The UK With Flybe SOU-EDI-MAN-SOU E195/Q400 (by jwhite9185 Nov 5 2013 in Trip Reports)
An Impulse Buy To Catch BA's 787 In C LHR-ARN-LHR (by jwhite9185 Oct 18 2013 in Trip Reports)
BA,The DB, AB And A Bit Of DAT LHR-STR-NUE-DUS-STR (by jwhite9185 Oct 6 2013 in Trip Reports)
Jettime To Scandinavia: LHR-CPH-BHX 733/SAS CR9 (by jwhite9185 Sep 28 2013 in Trip Reports)
Arabia & Thailand 2013 5: Catching A Whale To LHR (by jwhite9185 Sep 3 2013 in Trip Reports)
Arabia & Thailand 2013 4:Back To DXB With Oman Air (by jwhite9185 Aug 20 2013 in Trip Reports)
Arabia & Thailand 2013 3: BKK-DXB-MCT With EK/WY (by jwhite9185 Aug 6 2013 in Trip Reports)
Arabia & Thailand 2013 2: Two TG Classic's To HKT (by jwhite9185 Jul 20 2013 in Trip Reports)
Arabia & Thailand 2013 1: LHR-DXB-BKK EK A380/77W (by jwhite9185 Jul 9 2013 in Trip Reports)
USA 2013 Pt 5: AA & BA's New WTP MCO-MIA-ATL-LHR (by jwhite9185 Jun 25 2013 in Trip Reports)
USA 2013 Pt 4: Heading South On A Mad Dog ORD-MCO (by jwhite9185 Jun 13 2013 in Trip Reports)
USA 2013 Pt 3: Almost A Disaster With AA DCA-ORD (by jwhite9185 May 29 2013 in Trip Reports)
USA 2013 Pt 2: BA A320/744 WTP CDG-LHR-IAD (by jwhite9185 May 14 2013 in Trip Reports)
USA 2013 Pt 1: The Beginning BA LHR-ORY (by jwhite9185 Apr 20 2013 in Trip Reports)
Comparing The Competition: BA/VS Inaugural MAN-LHR (by jwhite9185 Mar 31 2013 in Trip Reports)
Taking TAP To Portugal: LGW-OPO-LIS-LHR Feb. 2013 (by jwhite9185 Mar 10 2013 in Trip Reports)
Poland On The Dream)liner - LOT LHR-WAW-LHR In C/Y (by jwhite9185 Jan 1 2013 in Trip Reports)
A Speedbird & Titan 767 – LHR-LCA-LHR In C…ish (by jwhite9185 Feb 1 2013 in Trip Reports)
British Airways LGW-AGP-LCY 737/E190 Nov. 2012 (by jwhite9185 Dec 1 2012 in Trip Reports)
Part 2: 5 Flights 3 Airlines MXP-ZRH-DUS-LHR LX/LH (by jwhite9185 Nov 14 2012 in Trip Reports)
Part 1: 5 Flights 3 Airlines LHR-BRU-MXP In Theory (by jwhite9185 Oct 29 2012 in Trip Reports)
Cancellations, Widebodies And Iberia LHR-MAD-LHR (by jwhite9185 Oct 17 2012 in Trip Reports)
Virgin Atlantic's New A330 LHR-JFK-LHR (by jwhite9185 Sep 21 2012 in Trip Reports)
A Night In Amsterdam - KLM F70/738 LHR-AMS-LHR (by jwhite9185 Aug 28 2012 in Trip Reports)
Trying Out Flybe - LGW-BHD-GLA-BHD-LGW (by jwhite9185 Jul 11 2012 in Trip Reports)
A Day Trip To MAN (by jwhite9185 Jun 21 2012 in Trip Reports)
Nice, Monaco And The Great British Lounge With BMI (by jwhite9185 May 13 2012 in Trip Reports)
EI237/182 LGW-DUB-LHR And 2 Lounges (by jwhite9185 Apr 18 2012 in Trip Reports)
LGW-FRA-BRU-LHR With LH And SN (by jwhite9185 Mar 27 2012 in Trip Reports)
BA906/8735 LHR-FRA-LCY (by jwhite9185 Mar 13 2012 in Trip Reports)
VS015/016 LGW-MCO-LGW June 2010 (by jwhite9185 Jan 20 2012 in Trip Reports)
VS006 MIA-LHR A340-642 June 2008 (by jwhite9185 Feb 10 2012 in Trip Reports)
Virgin Atlantic 747 To BGI - October 2007 (by jwhite9185 Aug 3 2012 in Trip Reports)

roberts87

Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:36 pm

Hello James, another great report!

Quoting jwhite9185 (Thread starter):
The agent was more interested in chatting to her colleague than acknowledging I was there.

That's not a very good first impression! Contract staff I reckon?

Feeling like a change of scenery, I made my way down, only to find there wasn't an aircraft on stand. At least I could amuse myself with some of the other movements.

Fortunately BCN is a very nice airport, with some interesting traffic a well

LOL. The booklet in which it was handed out seems nice though

Quoting jwhite9185 (Reply 1):
Descent was a pretty cloudy affair.

But that does give some very nice looking clouds!

sultanils

Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:52 pm

Good day mr W,

A nice 2nd episode featuring some flights on the Oryx. Judging from the pics, indeed the T7 looks way superior over the 330. But still C on the 330 is better than Y on the 330   Does that make any sense. A subpar experience at BCN unfortunately but good to see that your transfer in DOH was of the smooth and uncomplicated type. That can be a different thing at DOH but perhaps this has also improved now the new DOH has opened? Looking fwd to nthe next part!

Wow, that’s really marginal. It’s the kind of menu you receive in those tourist rip-off restaurants in some major city or beach resort. But... good to see the crew explaining about it   

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

lychemsa

Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:23 pm

I am surprised they fly to Philadelphia? seems strange.

PlaneHunter

Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:23 pm

Hi James,

nice second part of your series. QR's J Class product looks fine, I also like the fact that they hand out pyjamas in Business. Did it fit?

She returned a few moments later with an amenity kit and probably one of the cheapest menus I've seen.

The leather portfolio is nice, though.

Followed with some water.

No other welcome drinks?

There was a lot more legroom.

Everywhere or just in row 1?

Shortly after departure, the crew came and attached the babies bassinet to the bulkhead, which completely blocked my escape path. Despite the fact that both mother and baby were fully reclined in their seat and fast asleep. Surely common sense would say that if they both seemed fine, leave it as it was until requested? Ironic how I had so much space in front of me, yet I was still marooned in my seat.

That shows well why I don't like the classic "excuse me" J Class layouts - and why I always try to avoid bulkhead rows.

PH
Nothing's worse than flying the same reg twice!

jwhite9185
Topic Author

Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:37 pm

Robert,

Quoting roberts87 (Reply 3):
Hello James, another great report!

Thanks,

That's not a very good first impression! Contract staff I reckon?

I'm pretty sure they were.

Fortunately BCN is a very nice airport, with some interesting traffic a well

Indeed.

LOL. The booklet in which it was handed out seems nice though

Yeah it was a nice touch, that I've not seen on any other airlines.

But that does give some very nice looking clouds!

Only in Asia!

Nils,

Quoting sultanils (Reply 4):
A nice 2nd episode featuring some flights on the Oryx.

Thanks,

Judging from the pics, indeed the T7 looks way superior over the 330.

It really was. I'm glad I got the night time flight on the T7 as the A330 wasn't too great for sleeping. Fine for a day time flight though.

But still C on the 330 is better than Y on the 330

Very true!

A subpar experience at BCN unfortunately but good to see that your transfer in DOH was of the smooth and uncomplicated type.

Yep - on to the bus, dropped at the lounge, back on to the bus and dropped at the plane. Simple.

Wow, that’s really marginal. It’s the kind of menu you receive in those tourist rip-off restaurants in some major city or beach resort. But... good to see the crew explaining about it

I was wondering if they had given me the right thing. I did consider asking one of the crew if I could have the real menu!

lychemsa

Quoting lychemsa (Reply 5):
I am surprised they fly to Philadelphia? seems strange.

Time will tell if it works.

PH,

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 6):
nice second part of your series.

Thanks,

QR's J Class product looks fine, I also like the fact that they hand out pyjamas in Business. Did it fit?

Made a nice change to sleeping in jeans! The PJ's did fit, and the crew also said they had other sizes of they didn't.

The leather portfolio is nice, though.

It was a nice touch.

No other welcome drinks?

It was more a case of 'can I get you a drink' rather than a welcome selection as such - so I guess I could have ordered whatever I wanted.

Everywhere or just in row 1?

Must admit I didn't notice. On boarding it was a little dark and I disembarked through L1 so didn't get to explore too much.

That shows well why I don't like the classic "excuse me" J Class layouts - and why I always try to avoid bulkhead rows.

I didn't even consider that issue when I selected that seat. All thought about was wanting 1A.

SQueeze

Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:44 am

Thanks for the trip report.

I fly mostly with SQ and this is an eye opener for me.
I have to say that QR's hardware is still miles behind SQ but the food looks really good, and classy (in fact looks F-class like). In fact, I think it's the best plating I have seen in J on any airline. And there is proper amenity kit and the bag looks cool.

Considering that QR is usually half the price of SQ, i think it is fairly valued. I should try it and judge for myself. Hope to try QR some day especially now that DOH has been much improved.

[Edited 2014-06-11 18:45:03]

MIAspotter

Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:47 am

James!

Glad to see part 2 of the crazy adventure already up.

The agent was more interested in chatting to her colleague than acknowledging I was there. Black mark against Qatar straight away there, although if this is the worst thing that happens then it will have worked out well. When she did acknowledge me, it was only to inform me that the flight had been delayed by 20 to 30 minutes or so as the aircraft now wouldn't arrive into BCN until 15:00 local. Somehow, I think it's going to take some effort to turn an A330 around in an hour and fifteen... She was also so wrapped up in her chat, she forgot to put a burgundy bag tag on my cabin bag. Not a major issue, but still shows a lack of attention.

Not professional at all, and not a way to deal with a Business Class passenger, on my 2 occassions though, they have been quite polite with me.

They are indeed contracted personnel, I think Swissport handles QR in BCN.

I had tried to work one of these into the schedule. Flight times weren’t on my side though.

Nice! I´ve got to fly on CS-TPK last week to OPO 
The plane is here, so everybody seems to think we will be boarding in the next 2 minutes…

Of course! Quick! the plane is here... let´s get in line before it leaves without us...   

A7-BCJ

A7-ACJ my friend.

LOL!

Like Nils said, it looks like the menues in the tourist trap restaurants in Las Ramblas... you should have pointed your choice of meal to the crew like that Little Britain guy... ´want THAT one..

She said we were due to arrive into Doha at 23:40, so around 25 minutes behind schedule

Well, that´s not too bad considering you guys left over an hour late.

and the mood lights came on for a little while.

Just a little while? on my flights they were constantly on, except during meals.

Descent started into pretty much darkness. It was out over the water before swinging around into DOH.

No holds in DOH? Lucky you!

Upon making my way up the stairs, it was immediately apparent that QR had put the extra space on this jet to much better use.

Yes, the 77W is miles ahead of the A330 in comfort (even in Y) and the lightning on your shot makes it look soooo classy! nice.

Almost immediately, I was offered a welcome drink. A very refreshing lime and mint.

Told ya it was nice!

The menu on this flight was a lot more professional.

Now that´s more like it.

Again James, nice report with awesome pictures, QR delivered a nice service in Business as usual, I am pretty sure with the new airport now fully operational, the experience is much more enjoyable.

Looking forward to the rest.

MIAspotter.
Nos vamos de Vueling?

nelsony

Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:12 pm

Hello jwhite9185,

Great trip report.

Yes, that menu you got was meant for the crew   because it has the picture of how they are meant to prepare the food and serve it.

QR's product is a complete disarray, on the new 787 fleets you get fully flat but on the other planes, its the only angled lie flat. It puts me off flying them for that reason. I still don't know how they manage to earn their 5-star rating with Skytrax.

And the service at BCN is not acceptable. I think QR is purely focused on the glitzy glam Premium Terminal at Heathrow and Qatar, but their service at other airports is sub par, which probably explains why they joined One World, so at least their frequent fliers can enjoy decent lounges provided by partners such as BA and CX.

The meals look nice though, that is a fluffy looking croissant, compared to the one I got on my EY flight, which was basically flattened.

And QR are one of the few airlines who give PJs in business class, so thats a plus in my books.

jwhite9185
Topic Author

Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:03 pm

Squeeze,

Quoting Squeeze (Reply 8):
Thanks for the trip report.

No problem,

I fly mostly with SQ and this is an eye opener for me.
I have to say that QR's hardware is still miles behind SQ but the food looks really good, and classy (in fact looks F-class like). In fact, I think it's the best plating I have seen in J on any airline. And there is proper amenity kit and the bag looks cool.

Yeah, I want to try SQ as their J seat looks great - but theyre a bit on the pricey side!

Considering that QR is usually half the price of SQ, i think it is fairly valued. I should try it and judge for myself.

As I always say, if you dont try something different once in a while, you'll never know!

Christian,

Quoting MIAspotter (Reply 9):
Not professional at all, and not a way to deal with a Business Class passenger,

No I did feel a little miffed, but I didn't let it spoil the occasion too much. It was pretty bad luck to run into the same person again at the gate though and have to deal with her attitude for the second time...

Of course! Quick! the plane is here... let´s get in line before it leaves without us...

It did seem that way!

A7-ACJ my friend.

Yeah, I knew that but for some reason my computer wanted to think it was BCJ?

Like Nils said, it looks like the menues in the tourist trap restaurants in Las Ramblas... you should have pointed your choice of meal to the crew like that Little Britain guy... ´want THAT one..

Maybe not...

Well, that´s not too bad considering you guys left over an hour late.

Classic schedule padding.

Just a little while? on my flights they were constantly on, except during meals.

They were turned off completely once it was fully dark outside. I guess because most people were sleeping.

No holds in DOH? Lucky you!

Nope, and not on my return either.

Yes, the 77W is miles ahead of the A330 in comfort (even in Y) and the lightning on your shot makes it look soooo classy! nice.

It really is. Very nice experience on the 777.

Told ya it was nice!

If it wasn't for you telling me I doubt I would have tried it! I was drinking it by the gallon on the return flight!

Again James, nice report with awesome pictures

Thanks,

I am pretty sure with the new airport now fully operational, the experience is much more enjoyable.

Lets hope so, although there wasn't really anything wrong with the old experience - other than it was busy.

nelsony,

Quoting nelsony (Reply 10):
Great trip report.

Thanks,

Yes, that menu you got was meant for the crew   because it has the picture of how they are meant to prepare the food and serve it.

I did think as much. I guess they improvised - fair play to them.

QR's product is a complete disarray, on the new 787 fleets you get fully flat but on the other planes, its the only angled lie flat.

The 777 was fully flat too - just a different layout.

. I think QR is purely focused on the glitzy glam Premium Terminal at Heathrow and Qatar, but their service at other airports is sub par

Same goes for the lounge at SIN. I could have used the other OneWorld lounges but I couldn't be bothered to go from T3 to T1!

The meals look nice though

They were all good enough.

And QR are one of the few airlines who give PJs in business class, so thats a plus in my books.

Yeah made things more comfortable.

The777Man

Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:47 pm

Hi James !

Nice report on QR with very nice pictures !

Business class looks nice but nothing too overwhelming . Seat looks nice menu selection looks uninspired to me.

Too bad you had the mother with baby and bassinet sitting next to you but at least you got some good sleep.

As for the 777 being noisy, it's a question of reference; I still think it's quite quiet compared to DC-10s, L-1011s etc. None of those around anymore but plenty when I started flying in 777s.

Looking forward to the next part !

The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

allrite

Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:42 am

Enjoyed reading this latest instalment and looking forward to the next legs.

She returned a few moments later with an amenity kit and probably one of the cheapest menus I've seen.

I know it wasn't intentional, but photos are a great way of selecting the meal. Of course, without the professionally prepared fake photos it's not going to set you salivating in the same way, but a little truth in advertising can't be too bad!  
I like artificial banana essence!

pokfur

Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:44 am

Hi James,

Thanks for posting this TR!

I've just had my first pair of QR flights yesterday and was reading this report in the new HIA during my transit. Glad to see you had some good experiences, although the check-in at Barcelona and that menu must have been a shock to you haha. The food on board looks amazing though, and so does the premium terminal, which I didn't have a chance to experience, sadly. The new HIA is in a phase where many things aren't up and running completely yet, including the First and Business Class lounges, so I had a rather boring 5 hour transit with just a sad-looking giant teddy bear to accompany me.

And again, always nice to see people visiting my country even though it was just a transit stop?  

Thanks for posting this up and I look forward to your next instalment!

Cheers!

pokfur

MIAspotter

Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:21 am

I still don't know how they manage to earn their 5-star rating with Skytrax.

Money my friend... lots of it hehehe.

Quoting jwhite9185 (Reply 11):
No I did feel a little miffed, but I didn't let it spoil the occasion too much

Exactly, it´s the best attitude.

Classic schedule padding.

Perhaps, but that is usually the normal arrival time (23:55 / 00:15)

Nope, and not on my return either.

Good to hear, I hope DOH does not become DXB with their endless holds.

If it wasn't for you telling me I doubt I would have tried it! I was drinking it by the gallon on the return flight!

:D

MIAspotter.
Nos vamos de Vueling?

OA260

Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:31 am

Hey James  

Nice report. Interesting to see the QR product from your view. I have to say it all looks ok but like you wonder about the lounge! It didnt look anything to write home about.

Godiva chocs always welcome  

The menu with the pictures on might be a good idea ,nice to see what it looks like before you order .

So it looks like a decent 4* carrier but not 5 .

Looking forward to the next part(s) .

Regards

Philip  

jwhite9185
Topic Author

Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:21 pm

Lars,

Quoting The777Man (Reply 12):
Nice report on QR with very nice pictures !

Thanks,

Business class looks nice but nothing too overwhelming

The A330 was a little standard, but the 777 (and the 787 on the return) was pretty good.

Too bad you had the mother with baby and bassinet sitting next to you but at least you got some good sleep.

Yeah it wasn't too much of an issue as they both slept more than I did. The baby was actually surprisingly well behaved and didn't cry once.

As for the 777 being noisy, it's a question of reference; I still think it's quite quiet compared to DC-10s, L-1011s etc. None of those around anymore but plenty when I started flying in 777s.

I find it generally a quiet plane, but the start up and reverse thrust make quite a bit of noise!

allrite,

Quoting allrite (Reply 13):
Enjoyed reading this latest instalment and looking forward to the next legs.

Thanks, glad you liked.

Quoting allrite (Reply 13):
I know it wasn't intentional, but photos are a great way of selecting the meal. Of course, without the professionally prepared fake photos it's not going to set you salivating in the same way, but a little truth in advertising can't be too bad!

I must admit it did help me make my selection!

pokfur,

Quoting pokfur (Reply 14):
I've just had my first pair of QR flights yesterday and was reading this report in the new HIA during my transit.

Glad I was able to try the old airport shortly before it closed.

The food on board looks amazing though, and so does the premium terminal, which I didn't have a chance to experience, sadly.

I found the premium terminal a little over rated. More a couple of lounges in there own building.

The new HIA is in a phase where many things aren't up and running completely yet, including the First and Business Class lounges, so I had a rather boring 5 hour transit with just a sad-looking giant teddy bear to accompany me.

Bit of a poor show.

And again, always nice to see people visiting my country even though it was just a transit stop?

I had a day there on the way back.

Christian,

Quoting MIAspotter (Reply 15):
I hope DOH does not become DXB with their endless holds.

I only had to hold the once on my few flights into DXB last year, and even then it was only for a couple of minutes.

Philip,

Quoting OA260 (Reply 16):
Nice report.

Thanks,

I have to say it all looks ok but like you wonder about the lounge! It didnt look anything to write home about.

I did find it was a little average.

Godiva chocs always welcome

Most definitely!

The menu with the pictures on might be a good idea ,nice to see what it looks like before you order .

As I previously mentioned, it did help me make my choice!

So it looks like a decent 4* carrier but not 5 .

If they install the 787 J class product on the fleet, it will make the difference.

ba319-131

Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:00 pm

Nice read and pictures James, did enjoy, especially as I have flown QR in JCL too.

One of the A330-300’s was subbed for an A330-200, which would be a new sub type

- Result!

he lounge was comfortable enough, but it was a little dark and they didn't seem to offer any Wi-Fi either - just the free airport one for 15 minutes

- In this day and age that is incredibly poor.

one of the cheapest menus I've seen.

- Yikes, QR never gave us anything like this!

The lounge was pretty busy, as it took me an awful lot of searching to find a seat. In the end, I sat in the restaurant area.

- Interesting, on both transits the lounge was empty, guess we had flights that connected off peak?

The food selections were decent enough, but I didn’t go too mad as I planned on eating on board.

- Sensible man.

The 777 service was far superior to the A330, but I guess that’s due to the fact that they’re used on the longer routes where as the A330’s are kept mainly for mid haul.

- Don't for get the Airbus fleet joined the fleet prior to the 777 so the seating is the older generation, same as the 346 fleet.

Looking forward to the next installment.

Cheers

Mark
111 732 733 734 735 736 73G 738 739,7M8 BBJ 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 764 772 77L 773 77W L15 D10 D30 D40 AB3 AB6 312 313 318 319 320 20N 321 21N 332 333 342 343 345 346 359 351 388 CS1 CS3 I86 154 SSJ CRJ CR7 CR9 CRK 145 170 175 220

jwhite9185
Topic Author

Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:55 am

Mark,

Quoting ba319-131 (Reply 18):
Nice read and pictures James, did enjoy

Thanks,

- Result!

Yeah, although in reality there wasn't much difference between the two.

- In this day and age that is incredibly poor.

Its similar in MAD too - so probably a Spanish thing in general.

- Yikes, QR never gave us anything like this!

Last minute improvisation.

- Interesting, on both transits the lounge was empty, guess we had flights that connected off peak?

It did empty out after about 45 minutes or so. I guess between 11PM - 12:30AM is the rush hour.

- Don't for get the Airbus fleet joined the fleet prior to the 777 so the seating is the older generation, same as the 346 fleet.

True. No doubt in a few years people will have a similar complaint about the 777 cabin!

gabrielchew

Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:45 pm

nice report James...looks like some reasonable flights with QR

Cool! Not very professional, but an interesting read!

Just as I was filling out the survey, the ever attentive crew member approaches me and asks if I'd like something to drink and some cake before landing. Of course, I couldn't turn down the cake! And feeling adventurous, I thought I'd try a Cointreau. Yet another hot towel appeared too.

Did you like the Cointreau? Hard to find onboard nowadays.

Thats the danger of booking a bulkhead seat. Odd that the mother and baby weren't assigned them to begin with
http://my.flightmemory.com/shefgab Upcoming flights: AMS-RIX-BUD-VDA,ETH-TLV-FCO-LHR,STN-TXL-LCY,LTN-CPH-LTN,LGW-SZG,MUC-LHR

jwhite9185
Topic Author

Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:53 pm

Gabriel,

Quoting gabrielchew (Reply 20):
nice report James...looks like some reasonable flights with QR

Thanks - nothing to complain about with QR. Only their contract staff in BCN.

Not very professional, but an interesting read!

True. At least they gave us something though, rather than nothing.

Did you like the Cointreau?

Not sure I'll be having it again any time soon...

Thats the danger of booking a bulkhead seat. Odd that the mother and baby weren't assigned them to begin with

In fairness I did try to prebook 1A as soon as I made the reservation but a message came up saying only QR status holders could reserve the first row. It only opened up at check in which is where I bagged it. Im guessing mother and baby weren't too worried or couldn't book it for whatever reason.

FLIEGER67

Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:13 pm

Hey, J.,

good work with the story and the pictures. A really detailed view into QR´s biz product at different levels.
Done this late night/early morning transfer with the lounge included at DOH also not that long ago, you know.
Waiting for the next part now.

Greetings,
Markus(FLIEGER67)
Tripreporter.net

jwhite9185
Topic Author

Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:28 pm

Markus,

Quoting FLIEGER67 (Reply 22):
good work with the story and the pictures. A really detailed view into QR´s biz product at different levels.

Thanks,

Done this late night/early morning transfer with the lounge included at DOH also not that long ago, you know.

For this flight it wasn't too bad - with the slightly late arrival into DOH, it was only an hour or so until boarding began for the next flight... the 8 hours or so on the return though was a different story.

Waiting for the next part now.

It'll be along shortly.

IberiaA319

Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:21 pm

Amazing pictures, especially the ones with the night views. A very nice report, I will miss the premium lounge I used quite often, now that all flights shifted to HIA, but I will not miss the sometimes looooong bus rides, even though you het to see some nice views from the tarmac.

Barcelona airport and its (still) new terminal look great.

Regards, Eric,

jwhite9185
Topic Author

Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:55 pm

Eric,

Quoting IberiaA319 (Reply 24):
Amazing pictures, especially the ones with the night views. A very nice report

Thanks,

I will miss the premium lounge I used quite often

Personally, I've been in better - but I guess it wasn't too bad.

I will not miss the sometimes looooong bus rides, even though you het to see some nice views from the tarmac.

I see your point.

Barcelona airport and its (still) new terminal look great.

Yeah, it was a good experience there.

Knightsofmalta

Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:41 pm

Hi James

Nice second installment. Qatar Airways looks like a really class act. The issue with the baby basket is a bit unfortunate of course. Normally in Business I try to avoid the first row for exactly this reason.

The food looks absolutely gorgeous on both flights.

Cheers,
William

jwhite9185
Topic Author

Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:50 pm

William,

Quoting Knightsofmalta (Reply 26):
Nice second installment.

Thanks,

Qatar Airways looks like a really class act.

Of the four airlines I flew in J on this trip, they were a clear leader.

he issue with the baby basket is a bit unfortunate of course.

True, but luckily I slept for most of the flight so it didn't really affect me in the end.

Normally in Business I try to avoid the first row for exactly this reason.

I didn't even consider this really - all I knew was that I wanted 1A on at least one of the flights.

The food looks absolutely gorgeous on both flights.

It was pretty good. Although I actually enjoyed the food on VS (later in the series) a little more. They lost a few points for presentation though!

adamspotter

Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:17 pm

Hi James,

Great second part on your trip to down under. Looks like you had 2 nice flights on QR, although I wouldn't want to call this a 5* experience as they so proudly call themselves. The difference between the A330 & 777 is quite big IMO. The crew sound lovely on both flights and the food looks good.

She was also so wrapped up in her chat, she forgot to put a burgundy bag tag on my cabin bag.

Is it mandatory then? Did others get one? I barely get such a tag and am happy about that..

Strange. I wonder what would have happened if I was flying in Y and wanted entry from my OneWorld status?

I'm pretty sure you would have gained entry by showing your FFC

I amused myself in the lounge with a newspaper

The Daily Mail, really? 
Quoting jwhite9185 (Reply 1):

Looks like it should be the crews, very weird!

Thanks for sharing this great report!

cheers,

Brendan

jwhite9185
Topic Author

Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:01 pm

Brendan,

Quoting adamspotter (Reply 28):
Great second part on your trip to down under

Thanks,

Looks like you had 2 nice flights on QR, although I wouldn't want to call this a 5* experience as they so proudly call themselves.

Of the two so called 5* airlines I've been on, this was definitely the better one!

The difference between the A330 & 777 is quite big IMO. The crew sound lovely on both flights and the food looks good.

Yeah there is a big difference between the A330 and 77W. The A330's seem to be sent on 7 hour or so flights, where as the 777's go on longer missions so I guess it makes sense to have the 777's more decked out for longer flights.

Is it mandatory then? Did others get one? I barely get such a tag and am happy about that..

Thankfully not, although all the pre arrival videos mentioned I needed to have one to enter the premium terminal. As it turned out, it was just so the ground staff could spot you easier and direct you accordingly.

I'm pretty sure you would have gained entry by showing your FFC

Probably, but by flying J I shouldn't have to really...

The Daily Mail, really?

I said amusement, right...

Plus that was the only English paper available.

Looks like it should be the crews, very weird!

It was that or nothing apparently.

Thanks for sharing this great report!

No problem!

Qatara340

Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:20 pm

Hello James,

Really enjoyed reading your Trip Report; It was very detailed and properly written and well-presented! The delay of the 787s really have made the whole differences in the onboard experience varying interns of product. With the A350s and more 787s about to join, we'll have more and more of the same J seats throughout--minus the 777's.
لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله

jwhite9185
Topic Author

Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:39 pm

QatarA340

Quoting QatarA340 (Reply 30):
Really enjoyed reading your Trip Report; It was very detailed and properly written and well-presented!

Thanks, glad you enjoyed,

The delay of the 787s really have made the whole differences in the onboard experience varying interns of product.

Yeah, I sampled three on this trip.

With the A350s and more 787s about to join, we'll have more and more of the same J seats throughout--minus the 777's

The latest product is great, but the 777 seat was still perfectly acceptable.