Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

Freeport Just For Fun: Bahamasair & Silver Airways

Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:56 am

Map generated by the Great Circle Mapper - copyright © Karl L. Swartz

Intro
In early 2013, my wife and I decided to go on vacation to Miami Beach. The second half of October was our travel period of choice, just after the hurricane season. In order to ensure a relaxed outward journey, we burned some miles and booked Nuremberg-Zurich-Miami in Swiss' Business Class. I had already tried the carrier's great long-haul Business Class product on the A340-300, but not yet on the A330-300. The connecting flight would be operated by Augsburg Airways, just eleven days before its shutdown.

Homeward bound, we added a one-day stopover in Boston. Alitalia offered attractive one-way Economy Class fares and we decided to fly Boston-Rome-Munich (long-haul sector operated by an A330-200), complemented by Munich-Nuremberg on Lufthansa CityLine. Delta was the carrier of choice for the journey from Florida to Boston - mostly because it would operate the ever-exciting 757-200 on the Fort Lauderdale-Atlanta and Atlanta-Boston sectors.

Finally, we decided to make a daytrip to the Bahamas during our stay in Florida. Both Nassau and Freeport seemed to be attractive destinations - but in the end we booked Fort Lauderdale-Freeport-Fort Lauderdale because flying times were simply better and I would get two new airlines instead of one: Bahamasair and Silver Airways. All flights on the map:

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo169/Planehunter/USA2013SouthFreeport/Map2.jpg~original

Map generated by the Great Circle Mapper - copyright © Karl L. Swartz

Part II of my latest trip report series will feature the daytrip to Freeport on Bahamasair and Silver Airways. Part I can be found here:
Swiss A330 To Sunshine State: ZRH-MIA In Business (by PlaneHunter Apr 21 2014 in Trip Reports)
Nothing's worse than flying the same reg twice!

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

RE: Freeport Just For Fun: Bahamasair & Silver Airways

Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:57 am

Sunday, October 2013
Fort Lauderdale (FLL) - Freeport (FPO)
Bahamasair UP142
Scheduled times: 10:00-10:40
Actual times: 09:35-10:07
Flight duration: 00:23 (hrs)
Distance: 96 miles
Economy Class (single class), seat 12A

Bombardier DHC-8-301
C6-BFO (MSN 164)
First delivered to Presidential Airways as N802XV in 09/1989

1st flight on C6-BFO
7th DHC-8-300 flight
10th DHC-8 flight
156th airline

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Flightline Aviation Media - Bruce Leibowitz
View Large View Medium

Photo © Cesar Prieto Lorente

The roads were mostly empty on this early Sunday morning, so our taxi ride from Sunny Isles to the airport took less than 20 minutes. Two hours before departure, a friendly check-in agent kindly accepted my request for window and aisle in the last row. Reserving seats in advance hadn't been possible - there was no online tool during the booking process on the Bahamasair website and the carrier didn't respond to an e-mail request. Checking in online hadn't been possible either.

After receiving the boarding passes, we headed to a dedicated viewing area on the top of a parking garage. One can only praise the airport for introducing and keeping such an official spotting spot. Nice mix of airlines...

...and in the background you can see Royal Caribbean's Allure of the Seas, the world's largest passenger ship:

US Airways gathering and several freighters:

Our plane arrived shortly after we had passed security, much earlier than expected. C6-BFO, built in 1989, is the oldest frame in the five strong DHC-8-300 fleet:

By the way, only C6-BFO and two other DHC-8s still wear this colorful old livery. The carrier's three 737-500s are painted in the current white and blue scheme, while two Dashs, added in 2003, are mostly white.

Boarding commenced earlier than expected, too:

The 24 year old bird looked immaculate:

After a friendly welcome at the door, we took our seats in the last row:

There was plenty of legroom...

...and even though the interior looked a bit worn in general, everything seemed to be in good condition.

Shortly after most seats had been taken, the door was closed and we soon left the parking position - 25 minutes before the scheduled departure time! Takeoff after a short taxi:

Climbout over the giant Royal Caribbean ship which made the other vessels look small:

There weren't any inflight magazines, but I don't need fleet info pages in order to find mistakes.  Wink Not a single Dash in the Bahamasair fleet is wearing this livery:

Grand Bahama came into sight less than 20 minutes after takeoff:

Did you know that Freeport's container port belongs to the world's largest of its kind?

Almost there:

We touched down after a flying time of only 23 minutes and quickly reached our parking position - just 7 minutes after our scheduled departure time and 33 minutes ahead of our scheduled arrival time - amazing.

Cabin shot during disembarking:

C6-BFO was the one and only plane on the apron:

Welcome to Freeport's lovely terminal building:

[Edited 2014-06-15 02:08:07]

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:57 am

Short visit to Freeport
Prior to the trip, we had already decided to visit Port Lucaya Marketplace where you can find over 80 shops, restaurants and bars. A very friendly taxi driver dropped us off there after a short ride. It turned out to be a nice place for a few hours - what we liked most were the colorful houses:

We also met this little guy here while strolling around:

Unfortunately, we didn't have enough time for a boat ride...

After walking around in the heat for a while, it was time to rest. We decided to have lunch in a nice Greek (!) restaurant which also offers authentic Bahamian food. First of all, I had a tasty chilled Kalik, branded as "The Beer of the Bahamas"...

...followed by a very tasty local dish consisting of fish, spicy rice and macaroni:

[Edited 2014-06-15 02:11:13]

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:59 am

Sunday, October 2013
Freeport (FPO) - Fort Lauderdale (FLL)
Silver Airways 3M4044
Scheduled times: 16:34-17:24
Actual times: 16:19-16:58
Flight duration: 00:34 (hrs)
Distance: 96 miles
Economy Class (single class), seat 11A/D

Saab 340B Plus
N438XJ (MSN 438), now N362AG
First delivered to Mesaba Airlines in 04/1998

1st flight on N438XJ
2nd Saab 340 flight
157th airline

View Large View Medium

Photo © SJ Connor
View Large View Medium

Photo © Alastair T. Gardiner - WorldAirImages

Former appearances:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Mark Kryst - YXUphoto
View Large View Medium

Photo © Frank Robitaille

Less than two hours before departure, we returned to the airport which was mostly deserted. Silver Airways' check-in counters opened about 90 minutes before departure and a very friendly agent quickly handed out the boarding passes. Selecting seats had already been possible during the booking process on Silver Airways' nice website. We finally went airside after passing the United States border preclearance facility.

There wasn't much to do in the small gate area...

...but the airport offers free Wi-Fi, so I could have a look at Flightradar24 and was able to track the inbound plane. N438XJ, meanwhile reregistered N362AG, arrived almost on time. Pretty livery, isn't it?

The plane is one of 28 active frames in the carrier's Saab 340B fleet. By the way, Silver Airways was only launched in 2011 as a new regional carrier with assets from former Gulfstream International Airlines.

While I had counted 32 inbound passengers, there were less than 10 people heading back to Fort Lauderdale. The guy who had checked us in also checked the boarding passes at the gate and wished us a nice flight, even addressing us by name. Very nice touch!

I really like the combination of silver and pink red:

When stepping on board, we received a friendly welcome once again. The interior looked fresh and new and the seats were quite comfortable:

We couldn't complain about pitch either:

Very interesting statement on the inner side of the engine cowling:

We left the parking position 15 minutes ahead of schedule and took off in beautiful late afternoon light:

Stylish safety card:

Inflight magazine:

Silver Airways operates to 26 cities in the United States and seven destinations in the Bahamas:

Unfortunately, no ginger ale for me on this short hop, even though we'd fly longer than 30 minutes...  Wink

Beautiful scenery:

Back over Florida...

...where we spotted some nasty clouds:

We touched down after a bumpy approach and reached our parking position 26 minutes ahead of schedule.

Cabin shot during disembarking:

The first officer, standing in front of the engine, kept saying goodbye to his passengers. I asked him whether I could take a picture of the aircraft's nose section and he agreed. Once again a very interesting statement:

Before taking a taxi, we made a short visit to the viewing area again. Dark clouds were now covering the airport and a thunderstorm was about to hit the area. Bahamasair 737-500 from Nassau on the right:

As soon as it started raining, we left the parking garage and went straight to the taxi stand. Ten minutes later, the rain was so heavy that we almost couldn't see the highway lanes anymore and our taxi driver almost had to stop for safety reasons. Fortunately, the weather turned better again soon. Cool light effects after our return to the hotel:

[Edited 2014-06-15 02:16:07]

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:00 am

Conclusion
Even though the flights were very short, Bahamasair and Silver Airways left a good impression. Both flights departed and arrived ahead of schedule and we only met friendly and motivated staff members. However, Silver Airways has a more convenient website (e.g. offering seat selection) and I found plane interior and cabin comfort to be superior.

Best Regards,
PlaneHunter

P.S.: Just in case you missed them - here's a selection of my previous trip reports:
Swiss A330 To Sunshine State: ZRH-MIA In Business (by PlaneHunter Apr 21 2014 in Trip Reports)
Throning On A 777: JFK-VIE, Austrian's New J Class (by PlaneHunter Mar 15 2014 in Trip Reports)
Homey Herringbone! AC A330 Executive First Suite (by PlaneHunter Feb 1 2014 in Trip Reports)
Flat Bed On Euro Leg: SQ 777-300ER, Business Class (by PlaneHunter Dec 13 2013 in Trip Reports)
ZigZag To MAN: Volotea 717, TVF 738 & Packed 757s (by PlaneHunter Dec 4 2013 in Trip Reports)
The Hobbit 777 Meets Retro Jet: LAX To CPH, NZ/SK (by PlaneHunter Oct 12 2013 in Trip Reports)
Triatlón Mexicano: Interjet - Volaris - AeroMexico (by PlaneHunter Sep 21 2013 in Trip Reports)
Snow Chaos & Rebooking: KLM 744 To MEX In Business (by PlaneHunter Sep 1 2013 in Trip Reports)
Short Hops, High Quality: Luxair, VLM & CityJet (by PlaneHunter Jul 31 2013 in Trip Reports)
Night Stop In Beirut: Turkish A333 & MEA A320/A332 (by PlaneHunter Jun 28 2013 in Trip Reports)
Rushing Thru Romania: Carpatair S20 & Tarom A318 (by PlaneHunter Apr 30 2013 in Trip Reports)
Flybe E175, Helvetic F100 & The Beauty Of Scotland (by PlaneHunter Feb 11 2013 in Trip Reports)
Berlin A.Net Meeting, Air Malta & Wind Jet (R.I.P) (by PlaneHunter Jan 26 2013 in Trip Reports)
100th Report: LOT 787 Dream)Liner, 1st Day Of Ops (by PlaneHunter Dec 16 2012 in Trip Reports)
Air Macau, Tiger Airways & Grounding Fiasco At SIN (by PlaneHunter Dec 10 2012 in Trip Reports)
Delayed By Over 6 Months: LHR-SIN On Qantas A380 (by PlaneHunter Nov 29 2012 in Trip Reports)
No A380, But Still Great: ICN-DXB, EK 77W J Class (by PlaneHunter Nov 21 2012 in Trip Reports)
Taipei 101 & Flawed Prestige Class On Korean A330 (by PlaneHunter Oct 7 2012 in Trip Reports)
Double Letdown To BKK & TPE: UL A330/A340, CI 744 (by PlaneHunter Sep 24 2012 in Trip Reports)
5* Carrier, Hilton Suite & Dubai's Epic Landmarks (by PlaneHunter Aug 10 2012 in Trip Reports)
India's Finest? BKK-BOM-LHR, Jet Airways 738 & 77W (by PlaneHunter May 18 2012 in Trip Reports)
3x Asian Quality: CGK-SIN-HKT-BKK On GA, FD & PG (by PlaneHunter Mar 27 2012 in Trip Reports)
Blast From The Past: Sriwijaya 732 & Lion Air 739 (by PlaneHunter Mar 7 2012 in Trip Reports)
Widebody Hopping & KUL Spotting: SIA A330, KLM 77W (by PlaneHunter Feb 21 2012 in Trip Reports)
QF A380 Grounded, Bags Lost - LHR-SIN, TK A330/340 (by PlaneHunter Jan 30 2012 in Trip Reports)
Type Downgrade, Class Upgrade: EgyptAir Business (by PlaneHunter Dec 31 2011 in Trip Reports)
Long-Haul Cabin On A 737: MUC-CAI On PrivatAir (by PlaneHunter Nov 29 2011 in Trip Reports)
1 Day, 2 Highlights: Big A.net Meeting & LAN A340 (by PlaneHunter Nov 15 2011 in Trip Reports)
Imperfect Giant: CPT-JNB-FRA On SA A332 & LH A380 (by PlaneHunter Oct 21 2011 in Trip Reports)
BA Vs. LCC, African Way: JNB-DUR-CPT, Comair/Mango (by PlaneHunter Oct 8 2011 in Trip Reports)
Africa's Best Airline? FRA-JNB On SAA A340-600 (by PlaneHunter Sep 23 2011 in Trip Reports)
Fuel Dump & Return To CDG: Enroute To LAX On 9/11 (by PlaneHunter Sep 11 2011 in Trip Reports)
Greek Quality: Aegean, Olympic & Istanbul Spotting (by PlaneHunter Aug 29 2011 in Trip Reports)
Exploring A Virgin: VS A343/A346 & Dubai Delights (by PlaneHunter Aug 8 2011 in Trip Reports)
Superb Stübli & Crew: LAS-LAX-ZRH-MUC, LX J Class (by PlaneHunter Jul 20 2011 in Trip Reports)
Grand Canyon & More: Scenic Flight On Dornier 228 (by PlaneHunter Jun 21 2011 in Trip Reports)
San Francisco Sunshine...and A Frontier Fiasco (by PlaneHunter Jun 3 2011 in Trip Reports)
Fully Flat Bed To SFO: SWISS' New Business Class (by PlaneHunter May 7 2011 in Trip Reports)
Mountains, Meals & More: SunExpress Vs. Pegasus (by PlaneHunter Apr 23 2011 in Trip Reports)
Crossing Two Oceans: AKL-SFO-MUC, NZ 777 & LH A346 (by PlaneHunter Apr 10 2011 in Trip Reports)
Bad Weather & Other Bad Luck: Touring New Zealand (by PlaneHunter Mar 14 2011 in Trip Reports)
Trans-Tasman Treat: Aerolineas Argentinas A340-200 (by PlaneHunter Mar 5 2011 in Trip Reports)
Detours To Sydney: Wildlife, Tiger, REX & QFLink (by PlaneHunter Feb 22 2011 in Trip Reports)
Thai Fails To Impress: MUC-BKK-BNE On 744 & 777 (by PlaneHunter Jan 23 2011 in Trip Reports)
Painful Delay & My 100th Airline: AF A380, VO F100 (by PlaneHunter Dec 25 2010 in Trip Reports)
Fifth Freedom Tidbit: Kuwait Airways A300-600 (by PlaneHunter Dec 2 2010 in Trip Reports)
Ship Vs. Plane: Porto Santo Line & Sata Air Açores (by PlaneHunter Nov 17 2010 in Trip Reports)
Awesome Approach, Splendid Scenery: LIS, FNC & TAP (by PlaneHunter Oct 30 2010 in Trip Reports)
Guernsey, Ash Cloud Alarm & Mostly Empty SQ 77Ws (by PlaneHunter Sep 26 2010 in Trip Reports)
Totally Thrilling: Scenic Flight On Lufthansa A380 (by PlaneHunter Aug 5 2010 in Trip Reports)
Cirrus D38, Adria CRJ & Captain Niki Lauda On Duty (by PlaneHunter Jul 27 2010 in Trip Reports)
Monarch Hot Meal, E195 & More: PMI-ALC-MAN-MUC (by PlaneHunter Jul 4 2010 in Trip Reports)
Premium Meal & Palma Spotting: MUC-PMI, DE 757-300 (by PlaneHunter Jun 6 2010 in Trip Reports)
The Dead Slow Transfer: PEK-MUC On Air China A332 (by PlaneHunter May 29 2010 in Trip Reports)
Cancellation Brings Joy: HKG-PEK On Dragonair A330 (by PlaneHunter May 21 2010 in Trip Reports)
A380 Cacophony, 777 Star Livery: DXB-SIN-HKG On SQ (by PlaneHunter May 1 2010 in Trip Reports)
The Next 5* Carrier? MUC-MCT-DXB, Oman Air A330 (by PlaneHunter Mar 25 2010 in Trip Reports)
Turkey For 1.5 Hrs: Daytrip To AYT On Sky Airlines (by PlaneHunter Mar 13 2010 in Trip Reports)
CO Scores Again: ATL-IAH-EWR-FRA On ERJ, 752 & 764 (by PlaneHunter Mar 6 2010 in Trip Reports)
Riding The Ultra Long-Haul Twin: Delta 777-200LR (by planehunter Feb 12 2010 in Trip Reports)
Pacific Coast Jaunt: 3 Carriers, E120, E140 & Fog (by PlaneHunter Jan 30 2010 in Trip Reports)
The Ultimate 737: LHR-IAH-PDX On CO 777 & 739ER (by PlaneHunter Jan 6 2010 in Trip Reports)
Bye Bye, Hell! TRD-OSL-TXL-NUE - DY/AB/HE DH4 (by PlaneHunter Dec 13 2009 in Trip Reports)
My Trip To Hell: NUE-CPH-OSL-TRD On Cimber & SAS (by PlaneHunter Nov 21 2009 in Trip Reports)
SFO-YUL-FRA: Map- & Sleepless On Air Canada's 77W (by PlaneHunter Nov 10 2009 in Trip Reports)
Sin City Gloss & Virgin America's Chic First Class (by PlaneHunter Oct 30 2009 in Trip Reports)
Seat Dilemma & Canyon Glamour: FRA To LAX, AC 763 (by PlaneHunter Oct 11 2009 in Trip Reports)
On Par With Air France? DTW-AMS-MUC, KLM A330 (by PlaneHunter Oct 3 2009 in Trip Reports)
Goodbye, Red Tails! DC-9-40/50 & Chicago Tour (by PlaneHunter Aug 27 2009 in Trip Reports)
Champagne & World Of Coke: Air France A340 To ATL (by PlaneHunter Jul 19 2009 in Trip Reports)
"Mission A380": Disappointing Legs On BA/BD/EI (by PlaneHunter May 30 2009 in Trip Reports)
Delights Of Doha, 773 & 77W: DOH-DXB-LHR On EK (by PlaneHunter Apr 23 2009 in Trip Reports)
A380 Really A Step Forward? LHR-DXB-DOH On EK (by PlaneHunter Mar 25 2009 in Trip Reports)
Quality & Style: HKG-LHR On Air New Zealand 744 (by PlaneHunter Mar 10 2009 in Trip Reports)
Taiwan Trio: TransAsia, UNI Air And The Taipei 101 (by PlaneHunter Feb 21 2009 in Trip Reports)
"The Wings Of Taiwan": EVA Air A332, 744 Combi (by PlaneHunter Jan 31 2009 in Trip Reports)
SHA-SZX, Shanghai 757: Delayed By The Military (by PlaneHunter Jan 6 2009 in Trip Reports)
PEK-SHA, China Eastern A330 & Shanghai At Night (by PlaneHunter Dec 13 2008 in Trip Reports)
Striking Newcomer: Berlin-Beijing On Hainan A330 (by PlaneHunter Nov 22 2008 in Trip Reports)

lpdal

Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:22 pm

Great report PlaneHunter, glad to know I'm not the only FLL resident doing reports...

Looks like you had a decent trip on UP. My trip on the other hand, had to be the worst I've ever experienced. From F/A's telling the passengers to "SIT DOWN NOW!" and "Shut up" etc, to no inlfight service at all, and then at the end, I was granted a cockpit visit only to be told that I would be arrested if I didn't delete the pictures I took. Not to mention the 735 I was on was smelly, covered in dust at places, and so on and so forth.

Silver, on the other hand, is a great airline. Need to go anywhere Intraflorida? Silver has you covered, and they consistently deliver great service (for example, you don't even have to ask for the full can of soda, they just give it to you) and on time departures. Friendly, warm F/As, and great ground agents make for a very pleasurable experience.

Thanks again!

-LPDAL 
TWU represented. All of my views and posted content are mine alone, and should not be viewed as official communication from my employer, its subsidiaries thereof, or any other entities or airlines.

lychemsa

Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:30 pm

A few years ago 2 swimmers were attacked by sharks at the same hotel within a few months.

Paradise Island is more fun I believe. I flew there on a CHALK seaplane once but after a bad crash in Miami the airline was closed.

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:20 pm

Quoting lpdal (Reply 5):
Great report PlaneHunter, glad to know I'm not the only FLL resident doing reports...

Hi Colby, thanks for your comments! We were just Florida tourists, but I wouldn't mind spending some winther months over there every year...

Quoting lpdal (Reply 5):
Looks like you had a decent trip on UP

Quoting lpdal (Reply 5):
My trip on the other hand, had to be the worst I've ever experienced. From F/A's telling the passengers to "SIT DOWN NOW!" and "Shut up" etc, to no inlfight service at all, and then at the end, I was granted a cockpit visit only to be told that I would be arrested if I didn't delete the pictures I took. Not to mention the 735 I was on was smelly, covered in dust at places, and so on and so forth.

Wow, that sounds really bad. Who did warn you after taking pics - cockpit or cabin crew? I guess we made the right decision by not taking the 735 to NAS.

Quoting lpdal (Reply 5):
Silver, on the other hand, is a great airline. Need to go anywhere Intraflorida? Silver has you covered, and they consistently deliver great service (for example, you don't even have to ask for the full can of soda, they just give it to you) and on time departures. Friendly, warm F/As, and great ground agents make for a very pleasurable experience.

I'm glad to hear that - it seems the carrier found its niche and does well by focusing on quality.

Quoting lychemsa (Reply 6):
A few years ago 2 swimmers were attacked by sharks at the same hotel within a few months.

Which hotel do you refer to?

Quoting lychemsa (Reply 6):
Paradise Island is more fun I believe.

I'm sure there are many great places in the Bahamas, but options are limited when booking a daytrip.

PH

lpdal

Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:44 pm

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 7):

Wow, that sounds really bad. Who did warn you after taking pics - cockpit or cabin crew? I guess we made the right decision by not taking the 735 to NAS.
Atlantis On JetBlue+BahamasAir 737-500 FLL-NAS-FLL (by LPDAL Mar 23 2014 in Trip Reports)

The F/O first accosted me, then the 6' flight attendant stood in my way and watched as I deleted my shot--I didn't have the FAR rules with me so I just gave up. Really a shame, as UP was the last airline to operate the 732 up until November 2012.

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 7):

I'm sure there are many great places in the Bahamas, but options are limited when booking a daytrip.

This as well-for example, I wanted to book a combined Silver Airways and SkyBahamas daytrip so I could have both carriers S340s on the same routing, but it wasn't possible. I can't find anywhere to book FLL-NAS on 3M.
Alas, SkyBahamas is a great airline from what I hear--they even serve food on their short Saab flights.
http://www.skybahamas.net/

-LPDAL  

EDIT: I just noticed in one of your pictures that you captured a FL 737-700 (Green tail with the Sans "a"). You now have a historical image as fewer than 40 of these remain and there is now only 3x daily FL 712s to FLL a day.  Sad

[Edited 2014-06-15 08:46:30]
TWU represented. All of my views and posted content are mine alone, and should not be viewed as official communication from my employer, its subsidiaries thereof, or any other entities or airlines.

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:25 pm

Quoting lpdal (Reply 8):
The F/O first accosted me, then the 6' flight attendant stood in my way and watched as I deleted my shot--I didn't have the FAR rules with me so I just gave up.

I guess it wouldn't have made sense to argue. Thanks for the link!

Quoting lpdal (Reply 8):

This as well-for example, I wanted to book a combined Silver Airways and SkyBahamas daytrip so I could have both carriers S340s on the same routing, but it wasn't possible. I can't find anywhere to book FLL-NAS on 3M.
Alas, SkyBahamas is a great airline from what I hear--they even serve food on their short Saab flights.

I also noticed that carrier, but couldn't find suitable flights.

Quoting lpdal (Reply 8):
EDIT: I just noticed in one of your pictures that you captured a FL 737-700 (Green tail with the Sans "a"). You now have a historical image as fewer than 40 of these remain and there is now only 3x daily FL 712s to FLL a day.

Yes, FL continues to disappear which is quite bad.

PH

EL-AL

Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:38 pm

Hey PH,

Thx for the report! I am ashamed to say that I never heard of those airlines or route before, very interesting! Yet, I am not a fan of such small airplanes.

Look like you had a great day trip, I'll keep it in mind next time I'm in Florida.
Jonathan
every day is a good day to fly

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:52 pm

Quoting EL-AL (Reply 10):

Thx for the report!

Hi Jonathan, thanks for your feedback!

I am ashamed to say that I never heard of those airlines or route before, very interesting!

No worries!

Yet, I am not a fan of such small airplanes.

I also prefer larger aircraft, but some of these small types are really nice. I particularly like the Saab 340 and the Dornier 328.

Look like you had a great day trip, I'll keep it in mind next time I'm in Florida.

You can also combine plane and ship on a daytrip to the Bahamas. I can only recommend it to make a visit, these islands are really close.

PH

[Edited 2014-06-15 11:53:48]

MSNfan

Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:18 pm

Great report as usual on a unique route, looked like a great day of flying!
Dentistry: Because everyone smiles in the same language!

deltalaw

Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:31 pm

Looks like a lot of fun. I have always wanted to do this same day trip. Do you mind me asking how much you paid for the airfare?

SRQKEF

Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:23 pm

Hi PH, great TR once again! Nice couple of shorty flights you got there.

I'll be flying 3M from PBI to TPA this October so it was good to see a report on them. Seems like they're pretty nice, especially for such short flights. Now I'm looking even more forward to trying them out!  

Bahamasair also looks nice enough. A carrier I would love to try out, hopefully I'll have the chance someday.

Regards!
Sveinn  
Nothing compares to taking off in an empty 757 with full thrust!

Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:20 am

Great report, PH!

Glad you had two interesting flights with two airlines not covered very often in this forum! I'm amazed that the flying time is only 23 minutes; amazing how fast it takes to get to a totally different country.

Pictures from the Bahamas look great. What a beautiful day to be there!

Matthew
I love to fly!

MSYtristar

Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:49 am

Excellent report as usual. Thanks for sharing!

sultanils

Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:49 am

Dear PH,

I was delighted to see this tropical report of yours featuring 2 short regional hops on 2 airlines yet unknown to me. Freeport looks like a nice and relaxing place. Is there anything more to see than the local shopping district? A boat ride would’ve been cool as well, especially on that grand yacht I saw on one of your pics  

Quote:
Presidential Airways

Perhaps George Bush Sr flew this one prior to acquiring AF1  

Quote:
and the carrier didn't respond to an e-mail request.

Oh, how I hate that. I can understand a reply may take a while but no reply at all is not good   

Quoting PlaneHunter (Thread starter):
in the background you can see Royal Caribbean's Allure of the Seas, the world's largest passenger ship

Are you a ship fanatic as well?

25 minutes before the scheduled departure time!

Impressive!

but I don't need fleet info pages in order to find mistakes.

Lol, of course you don’t when you do a your research beforehand  

Did you know that Freeport's container port belongs to the world's largest of its kind?

No I didn’t. It looks impressive from above for sure!

Cabin shot during disembarking

Nice and retro   

Selecting seats had already been possible during the booking process on Silver Airways' nice website.

That’s already an advantage over the competition.

Pretty livery, isn't it?

It’s nice and modern, yes, but I’m not too sure about the pink   

Unfortunately, no ginger ale for me on this short hop, even though we'd fly longer than 30 minutes...

Why no drinks then? Strange... A Ginger Ale would’ve tasted good here methinks!

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:28 am

Quoting MSNfan (Reply 12):
Great report as usual on a unique route, looked like a great day of flying!

Hi MSNfan, thanks for your comments! It was indeed an enjoyable day.

Quoting deltalaw (Reply 13):
Looks like a lot of fun. I have always wanted to do this same day trip.

Hi deltalaw, we really had fun. I can only recommend to make such a trip.

Quoting deltalaw (Reply 13):
Do you mind me asking how much you paid for the airfare?

See my private message.

Quoting SRQKEF (Reply 14):
Hi PH, great TR once again! Nice couple of shorty flights you got there.

Hi Sveinn, thanks for your reply. Good to hear from you.

I'll be flying 3M from PBI to TPA this October so it was good to see a report on them. Seems like they're pretty nice, especially for such short flights. Now I'm looking even more forward to trying them out!

Sounds great, I'm sure you'll enjoy 3M.

Bahamasair also looks nice enough. A carrier I would love to try out, hopefully I'll have the chance someday.

Shouldn't be a big problem considering that you regularly spend lots of time in Florida!

Quoting 767747 (Reply 15):
Great report, PH!

Thanks, Matthew!

Glad you had two interesting flights with two airlines not covered very often in this forum!

I can hardly resist when discovering flight options on rare carriers...

I'm amazed that the flying time is only 23 minutes; amazing how fast it takes to get to a totally different country.

Yes, that's indeed amazing.

Pictures from the Bahamas look great. What a beautiful day to be there!

It was really hot there, too bad we couldn't go swimming.

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 16):
Excellent report as usual. Thanks for sharing!

Hi MSYtristar, thanks for your feedback! I'm glad you liked it.

Quoting Sultanils (Reply 17):
I was delighted to see this tropical report of yours featuring 2 short regional hops on 2 airlines yet unknown to me.

Hi Nils, many thanks for your comments!

Freeport looks like a nice and relaxing place. Is there anything more to see than the local shopping district?

Yes, there is. But we didn't have enough time for an extended tour.

A boat ride would%u2019ve been cool as well, especially on that grand yacht I saw on one of your pics

Well, I guess the rich owners wouldn't have agreed to a tour...

Perhaps George Bush Sr flew this one prior to acquiring AF1

Oh, how I hate that. I can understand a reply may take a while but no reply at all is not good

Are you a ship fanatic as well?

Well, not yet, but our recent cruise in the Caribbean has definitely raised my interest in ships.

No I didn%u2019t. It looks impressive from above for sure!

I was surprised to find such a large port there.

That%u2019s already an advantage over the competition.

No doubt about that.

It%u2019s nice and modern, yes, but I%u2019m not too sure about the pink

Well, it's a nice touch.

Why no drinks then? Strange... A Ginger Ale would%u2019ve tasted good here methinks!

I guess the regular flying time is less than 30 minutes. We flew an extended approach, at least that was my impression.

PH

[Edited 2014-06-15 23:29:27]

The777Man

Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:27 pm

Hi PlaneHunter!

Great to see another amazing report from the Trip report Master!

Very nice pictures as always!

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 1):
By the way, only C6-BFO and two other DHC-8s still wear this colorful old livery. The carrier's three 737-500s are painted in the current white and blue scheme, while two Dashs, added in 2003, are mostly white.

I really like the old livery much more then the new one. Very colorful.

We touched down after a flying time of only 23 minutes and quickly reached our parking position - just 7 minutes after our scheduled departure time and 33 minutes ahead of our scheduled arrival time - amazing.

Amazing that it's so close to FPO from FLL.! Nice to be so early too!

Welcome to Freeport's lovely terminal building:

Looks very nice and quaint.

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 2):
First of all, I had a tasty chilled Kalik, branded as "The Beer of the Bahamas"...

How did it taste ?

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 2):
followed by a very tasty local dish consisting of fish, spicy rice and macaroni:

Looks very tasty !

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 3):
Pretty livery, isn't it?

Disagree strongly; not my style. I don't like the colors or the design at all.

We couldn't complain about pitch either:

It doesn't look so great but it's a short flight. Standard pitch on a SF 340 I think.

Very nice report on a nice little day trip !

Nice for you to add two more carriers and one new country!

Very much looking forward to your next report !

The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

lychemsa

Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:02 pm

Luckaya Beach Hotel was where 10 years ago there were 2 attacks.

There were shark feeding tours nearby.

Another attack last year on another beach.

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:57 am

Quoting The777Man (Reply 19):
Great to see another amazing report from the Trip report Master!

Hi Lars, many thanks for your kind words!

Very nice pictures as always!

I'm glad you liked them!

I really like the old livery much more then the new one. Very colorful.

Amazing that it's so close to FPO from FLL.! Nice to be so early too!

Yes, one of my shortest flights. But the shortest ever is yet to come: YQQ-YBL in September, distance 24 miles.

How did it taste ?

It was good, but like all other Caribbean beers I have tried during our recent cruise, it was a little bitter.

Looks very tasty !

It certainly was. Some guys on another table asked me what it was so that they could order it, too.

Disagree strongly; not my style. I don't like the colors or the design at all.

I like the combination of silver rings, black and red pink. Definitely something different.

It doesn't look so great but it's a short flight. Standard pitch on a SF 340 I think.

That's better than what you get on many A32Xs, 737s and certain widebodies.

Nice for you to add two more carriers and one new country!

Big success!

Very much looking forward to your next report !

I have just started working on it...

Quoting lychemsa (Reply 20):
Luckaya Beach Hotel was where 10 years ago there were 2 attacks.

Interesting.

Quoting lychemsa (Reply 20):
There were shark feeding tours nearby.

Well, that does certainly attract them.

PH

The777Man

Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:48 am

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 21):
Yes, one of my shortest flights. But the shortest ever is yet to come: YQQ-YBL in September, distance 24 miles.

That is a very short distance ! My shortest flight was SNA-LAX at 26 miles in 16 minutes on an Embraer 120. Flight there was 20 mins. Not much longer time wise was HKG-CAN (old airports) on a CZ 77E in 1998 for a flight time of 21 minutes… 
Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 21):
It was good, but like all other Caribbean beers I have tried during our recent cruise, it was a little bitter.

I've only tried Red Stripe and it was a little bitter but still pretty good. Which other ones did you try ?

Looking forward again to your next report !

The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

gabrielchew

Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:43 pm

Nice report Udo! I've always fancied a trip to the Bahamas! Interesting to see that there is US preclearance in Freeport. Must be an expensive facility to run with so few pax?

Silver Airways looks like a nice little carrier. I was planning a trip to Florida last autumn (which sadly didn't work out), but included a few hops on Silver down to the Keys.
http://my.flightmemory.com/shefgab Upcoming flights: AMS-RIX-BUD-VDA,ETH-TLV-FCO-LHR,STN-TXL-LCY,LTN-CPH-LTN,LGW-SZG,MUC-LHR

OA260

Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:23 am

Hey Udo  

Great report and something different for sure. Love those vibrant colours.

Also nice to see the RCI Allure pics.

I also prefer the larger aircraft but always nice to try the smaller ones from time to time.

Looking forward to more from you soon .

Regards

Philip  

roberts87

Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:32 pm

Hello PH,
Excellent report as always! Nice to take a daytrip to the Bahama's, hadn't realized it was that close! Good to sample two carriers, and a nice visit to the town as well. Thanks for sharing!

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:15 pm

Quoting The777Man (Reply 22):
That is a very short distance ! My shortest flight was SNA-LAX at 26 miles in 16 minutes on an Embraer 120. Flight there was 20 mins.

Hi again, that sounds nice, too. The route doesn't exist any more, does it?

Not much longer time wise was HKG-CAN (old airports) on a CZ 77E in 1998 for a flight time of 21 minutes…

Yes, I remember that. Didn't you even get a meal?

I've only tried Red Stripe and it was a little bitter but still pretty good. Which other ones did you try ?

Several ones, e.g. Banks (Barbados), Piton (St. Lucia) and Carib (Trinidad & Tobago).

Quoting gabrielchew (Reply 23):
Nice report Udo!

Thanks, Gabriel!

I've always fancied a trip to the Bahamas!

I'm sure you'll be there soon.

Interesting to see that there is US preclearance in Freeport. Must be an expensive facility to run with so few pax?

Well, there are quite a few flights to the US, so it's probably worth it.

Silver Airways looks like a nice little carrier. I was planning a trip to Florida last autumn (which sadly didn't work out), but included a few hops on Silver down to the Keys.

I also checked those flights, interesting routes.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 24):
Great report and something different for sure. Love those vibrant colours.

Thanks for your feedback, Philip!

Also nice to see the RCI Allure pics.

The recent cruise has raised my interest in ships. Have you ever sailed on these XXL ships? They are rated very well.

I also prefer the larger aircraft but always nice to try the smaller ones from time to time.

Sometimes those can be quite nice.

Quoting roberts87 (Reply 25):
Excellent report as always!

Hi Robert, many thanks for your comments!

Nice to take a daytrip to the Bahama's, hadn't realized it was that close!

You can also make a daytrip per ship.

Good to sample two carriers, and a nice visit to the town as well. Thanks for sharing!

It was indeed a very enjoyable and successful trip.

PH

eastafspot

Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:49 am

Hello PH,

A lovely TR comparing 2 nice airlines. For sure Freeport sounds really interesting for a day trip or longer. Is it an expensive island? the Saab experience seems much better than the Dash 8, for the view and the BOB service

but I don't need fleet info pages in order to find mistakes.   Not a single Dash in the Bahamasair fleet is wearing this livery:

Haha, too easy for you!

No and that's very impressive indeed, like the cruise ship too   .

Many thanks for sharing, looking forward to more
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !

The777Man

Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:42 am

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 26):
The route doesn't exist any more, does it?

No, I flew it in Nov07 and it was discontinued shortly afterwards.

Didn't you even get a meal?

No meal but a snack mix on the ground and a drink service in the air !

Several ones, e.g. Banks (Barbados), Piton (St. Lucia) and Carib (Trinidad & Tobago).

Which one did you prefer ?

The777Man

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:17 pm

Quoting eastafspot (Reply 27):
A lovely TR comparing 2 nice airlines.

Hi Léonard, thanks for your feedback!

For sure Freeport sounds really interesting for a day trip or longer. Is it an expensive island?

I'm not sure, most likely not more expensive than other Caribbean islands.

the Saab experience seems much better than the Dash 8, for the view and the BOB service

I'd take a Saab over a Dash any day.

Haha, too easy for you!

Many thanks for sharing, looking forward to more

Last part to follow soon.

Quoting The777Man (Reply 28):
Which one did you prefer?

I cannot tell you a clear winner - they're all quite bitter which is not what I usually prefer.

PH

The777Man

Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:03 am

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 29):
Quoting The777Man (Reply 28):
Which one did you prefer?

I cannot tell you a clear winner - they're all quite bitter which is not what I usually prefer.

I don't like bitter beer either so that may be a challenge for me when I go.

The777Man

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:39 pm

Quoting The777Man (Reply 30):
I don't like bitter beer either so that may be a challenge for me when I go.

Well, we may define "bitter" differently as I usually drink mild Bavarian beers. Will be interesting to hear your opinion after testing.

PH

jwhite9185

Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:07 pm

Hi there PH. Good to read the continuation of your trip to Florida. Nice day trip you made.

Amazing how close The Bahamas are to Flirida really - I didn't realise this until the I flew out if MIA fir the first time and we were overflying them within minutes.

The two flights you took seem reasonable enough for the amount if tine you spent on board.

Also great to see there's an official viewing area in FLL.
@mytripreport

adamspotter

Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:49 pm

Hi PH!

Another great report you made here, really enjoyed the pictures!
What a great idea to head off to the Bahamas for a day. Will definitely consider that the next time I am in the MIA/FLL are, any troubles at customs?
Looks like both Bahamasair & Silver Airways performed solidly on these short flights with a more than on time performance. Which is all you practically want on such a short flight.
Beautiful pictures of Freeport as well, love those colorful houses!

After receiving the boarding passes, we headed to a dedicated viewing area on the top of a parking garage. One can only praise the airport for introducing and keeping such an official spotting spot

Especially for an airport in the USA!

and in the background you can see Royal Caribbean's Allure of the Seas, the world's largest passenger ship:

That thing is HUGE

Did not know that, quite interesting for the Bahamas..

Very impressive, good job Bahamasair  
Pretty livery, isn't it?

Definitely like it   

Thanks for sharing another splendid report!

cheers,

Brendan

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:17 am

Quoting jwhite9185 (Reply 32):
Good to read the continuation of your trip to Florida. Nice day trip you made.

Hi James, thanks for leaving a reply!

Amazing how close The Bahamas are to Flirida really - I didn't realise this until the I flew out if MIA fir the first time and we were overflying them within minutes.

The two flights you took seem reasonable enough for the amount if tine you spent on board.

Absolutely.

Also great to see there's an official viewing area in FLL.

Simply perfect - many other airports could "install" such a facility with minimal costs.

Quoting adamspotter (Reply 33):
Another great report you made here, really enjoyed the pictures!

Hi Brendan, thanks a lot for your feedback!

What a great idea to head off to the Bahamas for a day. Will definitely consider that the next time I am in the MIA/FLL

Yes, you should do that.

any troubles at customs?

No, nothing.

Looks like both Bahamasair & Silver Airways performed solidly on these short flights with a more than on time performance. Which is all you practically want on such a short flight.

Beautiful pictures of Freeport as well, love those colorful houses!

Those are really nice. There's certainly much more to see, but our time was limited.

Especially for an airport in the USA!

That thing is HUGE

Just watched a documentary, very impressive. I would like to try it one day.

Very impressive, good job Bahamasair

Thanks for sharing another splendid report!

Good to hear you enjoyed it!

PH