Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jwhite9185
Topic Author

Oz 2014 3: Heading Down Under With MH 737/A333

Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:19 pm

Maps generated by theGreat Circle Mapper -copyright © Karl L. Swartz.

Videos related to this report

Malaysia Airlines A330 KUL-MEL: http://youtu.be/2FHB7MreE64

Continuing on from the previous two parts of my journey:

Oz 2014 1: Positioning LGW-BCN With EasyJet (by jwhite9185 May 26 2014 in Trip Reports)
Oz 2014 2: Qatar Business BCN-DOH-SIN A333/77W (by jwhite9185 Jun 10 2014 in Trip Reports)

This report will feature my flights from Singapore, up to Kuala Lumpur for the evening before heading down to Melbourne with Malaysia Airlines. The reasoning behind me going via KUL was mainly because MH is part of One World, but also cost. I didn’t fancy taking three flights of over 6 hours in a row, so an overnight stop was a must. The airport hotel at SIN was £170 a night – way too much. Add into the fact the cheapest direct SIN-MEL was around the £400 mark and that’s a grand total of £570. Malaysia Airlines on the other hand were asking £200 for the SIN-KUL-MEL sectors on a fully flexible ticket (just in case of any delays) and the Sama-Sama hotel at KUL was asking for £90 for the night. So basically half the price of going direct, plus I'd get an extra flight thrown in. There were plenty of flights linking SIN and KUL.

And three linking KUL to MEL:

I selected a four hour layover in SIN and then the mid morning flight out to Melbourne:

Unlike my previous flights with MH, I was able to select my seats online at the time of booking. I suspect it was more to do with the fact I was on a flexible ticket rather than the system recognizing my One World status though. Once I had selected my seats, I was unable to change until check in.

I checked in using the MH app and the Wi-Fi in the lounge at DOH. The seat map showed the aisle seat was taken and the middle seat free. It would remain this way.

So picking up pretty much where I left off then in T3. I'd just arrived at Singapore from Barcelona via Doha, and was on my way over to Singapore T2.

I headed over to the MH priority line to dump my bag and grab a boarding pass.

The friendly agent advised that I'd have to check my bag all the way through to MEL if I wanted both my boarding passes, however as I'd be stopping the night in KUL, this wouldn't really work - so I just grabbed my SIN-KUL boarding pass instead. After this, I took a few steps outside to grab a few breaths of fresh air before heading up to the viewing terrace. After a quick glimpse, I figured there would be better views to be had airside.

I passed through passport control, I was stamped out of Singapore barely an hour after arriving and grabbed a couple of pics from that side instead.

After this I made my way up to the MH Golden lounge.

It wasn't too big but had a decent enough selection of food so that I didn't have to worry too much about grabbing a bite to eat elsewhere.

Once I had finished eating, I made my way through to the business centre to print off some boarding passes so I could keep the one I had as a souvenir.

Around half an hour before the gate was due to open, I made my way downstairs.

The gate opened on time and I made my way through security. There was a bit of confusion as to why I'd only checked my bag through to KUL but once I'd explained my reasons they seemed happy enough. Just as I got into the holding pen 9M-MSH was pulling on to stand. Complete with the A380 style Malaysia Airlines logo. This one was just six months old at the time - in fact it was delivered to MH on the day I last flew into KUL.

Like much of SIN, there were good views from the holding pen too.

Boarding started, initially for business and status members. For once, it was all rather orderly and I made my way forward.

jwhite9185
Topic Author

RE: Oz 2014 3: Heading Down Under With MH 737/A333

Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:21 pm

MH616
SIN-KUL
April 2014
Boeing 737-800 / 9M-MSH
Seat: 20F / Economy
Scheduled: 19:15/20:15
Off Stand: 19:18
On Stand: 20:17

Despite a pretty full load, the middle seat remained empty. The cabin was pretty decent actually with full sized leather seats, complete with IFE.

The IFE looked similar to what's on board the airlines A380's. The seats looked similar too, so good consistency there.

We pushed back a minute or two behind schedule and made a long but fast taxi over to the active.

The captain announced a flying time of just 41 minutes.

The mood lighting was set for take off.

We then made a bolt for the humid night sky.

As soon as the seatbelt sign went off, the cabin lights were switched back on and the crew sprang into action, distributing peanuts and juice.

My entertainment came in the form of watching a developing thunderstorm, before the captain announced that we had just left our cruising altitude of 22,000ft. Barely 20 mins after departure. It was a bit of a bumpy approach into KUL before landing as promised at 20:10.

It was then the 10 minute or so journey over to the main terminal.

Interestingly, I saw a Malaysia Airlines 747-400 still looking reasonably in tact parked up on a remote stand. I was of the impression they had long gone - or at least had their titles removed?

It was then the walk down to arrivals to be stamped into the country for the night. On the way to baggage claim, I stopped off at the hotels reception desk to check in.

By the time I had reached the baggage carousel, my bag was one of the last going around (again).

It was then downstairs to the golf cart for the hotel.

As it turned out, I was given a room on the executive floor. Although the room was identical to the one I’d had previously.

I visited the lounge, but it was all but shut. I was still invited to take a seat though and was offered a drink. Strange how they charge for drinks in the room, yet just a few steps away they give them away.

After waking up earlier than anticipated the following morning, I made the journey back to the airport. But not before watching a great sunrise from my room.

As there was a bit of a queue for the shuttles, I took the ten minute or so walk instead.

As it turned out, the two guys ahead of me in the queue arrived at the same time as I did so I didn’t lose anything by walking. The MH premium check in was nowhere near as busy as it was on my last visit, and my bag was sent on it way within a couple of minutes.

I then took a walk up to the viewing deck to try and get a pic of the MH 744 I saw last night, however it was full of people in red polo shirts (I think they were something to do with security?), all of which were very friendly, but I did feel like I had gate crashed their party somewhat. I stayed for around twenty seconds before making my way back down to departures. Also of note was the memorial/shrine to the missing MH370 in this area. Immigration and security was packed, the whole process taking around 45 minutes to complete. Once through, it was on to the shuttle to the satellite and up to the MH lounge.

The MH 744 model had been replaced with something more up to date.

I had seen it had been refurbished since I was last here, however it was a subtle refurbishment. In fact, if I hadn't known, the chances are I probably wouldn't have even noticed.

The F&B options were the same as before.

As was the view.

Once boarding was near, I made my way downstairs to take a walk in the jungle, however, it was shut. So I made my way down to the gate instead.

After the second security check of the day there was a bit of a hold in the pen before boarding began. It was a bit of a free for all, despite the ground agents attempting to keep things civilised.

jwhite9185
Topic Author

Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:23 pm

MH129
KUL-MEL
April 2014
Airbus A330-300 / 9M-MTF
Seat: 36A / Economy
Scheduled: 10:30/20:25
Off Stand: 10:37
On Stand: 20:52

First impressions of the A330 were that the seats looked identical to those on their A380, but a bit narrower. For those of you that remember reading about my flight from KUL- LHR last year, I found the A380 seat wasn't wide enough...

The captain announced over the PA that the flying time would be 7 hours and 18 minutes.

Finally captured the 747!

We pushed back and taxied over to the active.

The MH A380 headed for London departed just ahead of us, meaning there was quite a wait on the runway for departure. We were finally up in the air around 30 minutes behind schedule.

After take off, I thought I spotted a spare pair of seats a few rows back. I got up to move but it turns out there was somebody asleep across them. I got back and mentioned this to my seat mate, hoping this would spur him into moving to the empty seat across the aisle but it wasn't to be... A few moments later a juice run was completed.

The crew mentioned that lunch would be served around thirty minutes into the flight and a snack would be served a little later. Around 30 minutes after departure, the flight crew mentioned that we were due to have pretty bad weather enroute so he would be leaving the seatbelt sign on. Lunch was served as promised, and it was a choice of chicken and rice or fish and potatoes - I suspect the same meal that was dished up on my LHR-KUL flight.

Beige in colour, beige in taste…

As soon as I pulled my phone out to take the picture, my increasingly friendly seatmate said 'ahh, good idea' and copied what I did. Well, power in numbers I guess.

Once lunch had finished, I settled down with Shaun of the Dead. A film I'd seen many times but not for a few years.

For the first time in a long time, I had a seatmate who didn’t sleep at all during the flight – meaning I was able to get up and explore freely. If anything he seemed a little hyperactive, constantly taking to everybody around him and slightly panicking about his visa.

Premium (ish) products in the washroom.

I happened to glance out of the window, and noticed that Australia was edging its way towards us.

Catching up with Family Guy later in the flight

After reading PalmJets Aussie Transcon report, I was hoping I would be treated to some similar scenery on my flight. I wasn’t disappointed.

It went well with a good soundtrack.

With just over ninety minutes until landing, the cabin lights came back on and the crew distributed chicken in pastry wraps.

As this was going on, the shadows outside were getting ever longer.

Descent started but due to the darkness there wasn't much to be seen. The captain updated us on our progress, and said that due to some low cloud we would have to hold for thirty minutes... What?! Even Heathrow doesn't shut down for low cloud?

After around 45 minutes of holding, we were finally ushered on to finals.

It was a typical winters LHR approach. Nothing to be seen but a light show outside, pretty much until touchdown.

We arrived on to stand and there was the usual stampede towards the exit.

I bid farewell to my seatmate and made my way through the absolute tip of a cabin. I felt sorry for the cleaners. It wasn’t just this row either; pretty much the whole plane was in this state. And why take everything out of the seat pocket too?

The business cabin was slightly better. I had wondered after how much it would have cost to fly this sector in J. As it turned out, this was the only sector on this trip over about 2 hours in length that I didn’t fly in business.

I made my way into the terminal and down to immigration.

The hordes of Indians on the flight meant immigration was a nightmare. None of them had filled out their immigration cards and they barely spoke any English. One even tried to ask one of the crew members from the flight to fill it out for them, but she said it wasn't allowed and went on her way. Then it was my turn. Due to a slight issue with my visa, I had to be sent off to see somebody else. He said the issue with my visa was sorted after only a minute or so but there was an issue with my passport. After going over it with a very fine tooth comb and a couple of machines, he disappeared off with it, leaving me sat in limbo for a good ten minutes, with a couple of other guys from the flight. Thankfully, everything was sorted - he said he didn't quite get the right angle on the machine, and it was only when somebody else did it, was it finally accepted. He gave me a stamp, apologised for the hold up and wished me a good trip.

Unsurprisingly, my bag was one of the last on the carousel. It was then through customs - once more, the hordes of Indians were holding the process up, each one with a huge trolley of cases boxes bags etc. with one of the customs officers saying quite sternly to one of them that he didn't speak Hindi. I was one of the few that was sent through the all clear lane, and it was off to find a bus to the city.

I arrived at the station at around 10pm, and made my way into the first place I could see to grab something to eat

Like most things in Oz, it was strangely familiar but still different.

Once I had finished, I made my way across the road to my hotel, the Best Western Atlantis.

jwhite9185
Topic Author

Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:24 pm

I woke up the following morning, and upon looking out of the window I was less than impressed with the weather.

Despite this, I ventured out to see the city.

Probably the most interesting part for me in Melbourne, was Albert Park where they were packing up from the Australian Grand Prix that had taken place a few weeks earlier. Better still the weather had picked up just a bit.

Apart from the GP track, it was also quite a nice walk around the lake.

Waiting at a pretty abandoned station for the tram

Seeing what was around in St. Kilda. I must admit, it reminded me of a run down beach town in the UK, but the miserable weather probably played a big part in that.

Bournemouth or Melbourne?

I eventually got fed up with sitting on a cold wet and windy beach and made my way back to the hotel for a brief nap. Later on, I took a look at the city centre of Melbourne.

Followed by a walk along the South Bank. As there was a football match on in town, there was a pretty good atmosphere around.

Arts Centre

What did I think of Malaysia Airlines on this occasion then? Well, much like my last encounter with them, I thought they were OK, although I’m still struggling to see how they got their 5 star status. Don’t get me wrong, they’re far from an awful airline, and I'd fly them again but they just don’t seem to have that little bit extra that makes them a great airline. They got the job done though and the pair of newer jets were comfortable enough – and for a very reasonable price too.

I’ll leave this part here. Look out for my next report, which will feature a pair of Australian domestic flights up to Brisbane with Virgin Australia.

Previous trip reports

Oz 2014 2: Qatar Business BCN-DOH-SIN A333/77W (by jwhite9185 Jun 10 2014 in Trip Reports)
Oz 2014 1: Positioning LGW-BCN With EasyJet (by jwhite9185 May 26 2014 in Trip Reports)
Salzburg With BA In Club On The 737-400.March 2014 (by jwhite9185 May 11 2014 in Trip Reports)
The Red Nosed Way To Faro. LGW-OSL-FAO-LGW DY/BA (by jwhite9185 Apr 28 2014 in Trip Reports)
New Year, New AA: LHR-ORD-BOS-JFK-LHR 772/738/77W (by jwhite9185 Apr 1 2014 in Trip Reports)
To Fly, To Serve: BA LGW-VCE-LCY 737/E170 Dec.13 (by jwhite9185 Mar 22 2014 in Trip Reports)
Alicante With BA In J: LHR-ALC-LGW A319/734 Nov.13 (by jwhite9185 Mar 16 2014 in Trip Reports)
The EZY Way To Catch A LAN 787 LGW-MAD-FRA-ARN-LHR (by jwhite9185 Feb 21 2014 in Trip Reports)
Trains, Planes And… Boats? ZRH A.net Meet (by jwhite9185 Feb 5 2014 in Trip Reports)
Asia 4: Heading Home On An A380 KUL-LHR (by jwhite9185 Jan 20 2014 in Trip Reports)
Asia 3: JAL 767 To Kuala Lumpur NRT-KUL (by jwhite9185 Jan 10 2014 in Trip Reports)
Asia 2:Catching A Cathay Pacific 747 To Tokyo In F (by jwhite9185 Dec 22 2013 in Trip Reports)
Asia 1: A Journey Of Epic Proportions LHR-KUL-HKG (by jwhite9185 Dec 8 2013 in Trip Reports)
Comparing The Competition Again: VS/BA LHR-ABZ-LHR (by jwhite9185 Nov 24 2013 in Trip Reports)
Across The UK With Flybe SOU-EDI-MAN-SOU E195/Q400 (by jwhite9185 Nov 5 2013 in Trip Reports)
An Impulse Buy To Catch BA's 787 In C LHR-ARN-LHR (by jwhite9185 Oct 18 2013 in Trip Reports)
BA,The DB, AB And A Bit Of DAT LHR-STR-NUE-DUS-STR (by jwhite9185 Oct 6 2013 in Trip Reports)
Jettime To Scandinavia: LHR-CPH-BHX 733/SAS CR9 (by jwhite9185 Sep 28 2013 in Trip Reports)
Arabia & Thailand 2013 5: Catching A Whale To LHR (by jwhite9185 Sep 3 2013 in Trip Reports)
Arabia & Thailand 2013 4:Back To DXB With Oman Air (by jwhite9185 Aug 20 2013 in Trip Reports)
Arabia & Thailand 2013 3: BKK-DXB-MCT With EK/WY (by jwhite9185 Aug 6 2013 in Trip Reports)
Arabia & Thailand 2013 2: Two TG Classic's To HKT (by jwhite9185 Jul 20 2013 in Trip Reports)
Arabia & Thailand 2013 1: LHR-DXB-BKK EK A380/77W (by jwhite9185 Jul 9 2013 in Trip Reports)
USA 2013 Pt 5: AA & BA's New WTP MCO-MIA-ATL-LHR (by jwhite9185 Jun 25 2013 in Trip Reports)
USA 2013 Pt 4: Heading South On A Mad Dog ORD-MCO (by jwhite9185 Jun 13 2013 in Trip Reports)
USA 2013 Pt 3: Almost A Disaster With AA DCA-ORD (by jwhite9185 May 29 2013 in Trip Reports)
USA 2013 Pt 2: BA A320/744 WTP CDG-LHR-IAD (by jwhite9185 May 14 2013 in Trip Reports)
USA 2013 Pt 1: The Beginning BA LHR-ORY (by jwhite9185 Apr 20 2013 in Trip Reports)
Comparing The Competition: BA/VS Inaugural MAN-LHR (by jwhite9185 Mar 31 2013 in Trip Reports)
Taking TAP To Portugal: LGW-OPO-LIS-LHR Feb. 2013 (by jwhite9185 Mar 10 2013 in Trip Reports)
Poland On The Dream)liner - LOT LHR-WAW-LHR In C/Y (by jwhite9185 Jan 1 2013 in Trip Reports)
A Speedbird & Titan 767 – LHR-LCA-LHR In C…ish (by jwhite9185 Feb 1 2013 in Trip Reports)
British Airways LGW-AGP-LCY 737/E190 Nov. 2012 (by jwhite9185 Dec 1 2012 in Trip Reports)
Part 2: 5 Flights 3 Airlines MXP-ZRH-DUS-LHR LX/LH (by jwhite9185 Nov 14 2012 in Trip Reports)
Part 1: 5 Flights 3 Airlines LHR-BRU-MXP In Theory (by jwhite9185 Oct 29 2012 in Trip Reports)
Cancellations, Widebodies And Iberia LHR-MAD-LHR (by jwhite9185 Oct 17 2012 in Trip Reports)
Virgin Atlantic's New A330 LHR-JFK-LHR (by jwhite9185 Sep 21 2012 in Trip Reports)
A Night In Amsterdam - KLM F70/738 LHR-AMS-LHR (by jwhite9185 Aug 28 2012 in Trip Reports)
Trying Out Flybe - LGW-BHD-GLA-BHD-LGW (by jwhite9185 Jul 11 2012 in Trip Reports)
A Day Trip To MAN (by jwhite9185 Jun 21 2012 in Trip Reports)
Nice, Monaco And The Great British Lounge With BMI (by jwhite9185 May 13 2012 in Trip Reports)
EI237/182 LGW-DUB-LHR And 2 Lounges (by jwhite9185 Apr 18 2012 in Trip Reports)
LGW-FRA-BRU-LHR With LH And SN (by jwhite9185 Mar 27 2012 in Trip Reports)
BA906/8735 LHR-FRA-LCY (by jwhite9185 Mar 13 2012 in Trip Reports)
VS015/016 LGW-MCO-LGW June 2010 (by jwhite9185 Jan 20 2012 in Trip Reports)
VS006 MIA-LHR A340-642 June 2008 (by jwhite9185 Feb 10 2012 in Trip Reports)
Virgin Atlantic 747 To BGI - October 2007 (by jwhite9185 Aug 3 2012 in Trip Reports)

dirktraveller

Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:25 pm

Hi James,

Nice to see continuation on your Oz series. MH certainly looks like a decent way from SIN to MEL. Quite surprised to see a good turnout on the morning run to MEL.

Quoting jwhite9185 (Thread starter):
airport hotel at SIN was £170 a night – way too much.

Yep sadly SIN hotels are one of the most pricey in the region... -_-

felt sorry for the cleaners. It wasn’t just this row either; pretty much the whole plane was in this state.

Wow I certainly pity the cleaners who need to clean up such ignorant mess. Hopefully the plane has an extended turn-around at MEL for them to clean-up..

. None of them had filled out their immigration cards and they barely spoke any English

My mum has similar experience on her visit to Australia few years ago.. many India-based passengers who queued with blank arrival cards. Didn't take long before a scene broke out as the CBP officer told those passengers to go back to the queue and fill those cards, a nightmare.

Thanks for sharing this report, and looking forward to see next part of your series!

Regards,
Dirktraveller

gabrielchew

Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:36 pm

Another nice installment James!

Interestingly, I saw a Malaysia Airlines 747-400 still looking reasonably in tact parked up on a remote stand. I was of the impression they had long gone - or at least had their titles removed?

No, I think they're still using them quite a bit

I had seen it had been refurbished since I was last here, however it was a subtle refurbishment. In fact, if I hadn't known, the chances are I probably wouldn't have even noticed.

So was it worth the refurb? Did I miss out on the good lounge in Dec for nothing?

. And why take everything out of the seat pocket too?

Cos they got bored?

Seeing what was around in St. Kilda. I must admit, it reminded me of a run down beach town in the UK, but the miserable weather probably played a big part in that.

It's quite nice in the evening out with a group of friends. Daytime in the rain, not so much.

jwhite9185
Topic Author

Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:58 pm

dirktraveller,

Quoting dirktraveller (Reply 4):
Nice to see continuation on your Oz series

Thanks,

MH certainly looks like a decent way from SIN to MEL. Quite surprised to see a good turnout on the morning run to MEL.

I was surprised the flight was so full actually. Especially with 3 a day.

Wow I certainly pity the cleaners who need to clean up such ignorant mess.

Same.

My mum has similar experience on her visit to Australia few years ago.. many India-based passengers who queued with blank arrival cards. Didn't take long before a scene broke out as the CBP officer told those passengers to go back to the queue and fill those cards, a nightmare.

I can well believe that seeing the chaos that broke out! A few in front of me were sent back.

Gabriel,

Quoting gabrielchew (Reply 5):
Another nice installment James!

Cheers,

No, I think they're still using them quite a bit

Really? Thought they were all retired around a year ago?

So was it worth the refurb? Did I miss out on the good lounge in Dec for nothing?

It was ok anyway. It was more a case of keeping it fresh I think, rather than a compete tear down and start again

Cos they got bored?

Possible? Who knows...

It's quite nice in the evening out with a group of friends. Daytime in the rain, not so much.

I can imagine the place would have a different feel if the sun was out!

FLIEGER67

Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:40 pm

Well done, J.,
for sure interesting to follow you on the further way down under.
And the detour for KUL seems worth it this way.
Good pictures, too.
Looking forward to more Australian adventures.
Greetings,
Markus(FLIEGER67)

pokfur

Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:35 am

Hi James!

Lovely coincidence of both our TRs! MH sure deserves some good reviews since the incident in March.. It's interesting to see that your fare was so cheap despite it being a fully flexible ticket. So it wasn't a sale fare then?

It's also fascinating to note that although Melbourne and Sydney are kinda close, the routes taken to both cities from KUL are quite different. I would have thought the flight paths would be similar initially, before branching out to either city nearer the end...

How did the food taste like?

Did you like the toilets and did they smell good??    Lol!

I felt sorry for the cleaners. It wasn’t just this row either; pretty much the whole plane was in this state.

That's just plain inconsiderate    I wouldn't want to be the next passenger at that seat; no doubt some crumbs would still be left behind...

Very lovely photos of Melbourne as well. Thanks for posting this up, and I look forward to the other reports in this series!

Cheers!

pokfur

allrite

Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:18 am

Great little transit. Pity that Melbourne didn't put on some finer weather for you. There's plenty to do in my favourite Australian city.

The friendly agent advised that I'd have to check my bag all the way through to MEL if I wanted both my boarding passes, however as I'd be stopping the night in KUL, this wouldn't really work -

I would have put a change of clothes and other necessities in my carry on and checked the rest of the luggage through. Just have to make sure any toiletries fit within the liquid limits.

Quoting jwhite9185 (Reply 2):
With just over ninety minutes until landing, the cabin lights came back on and the crew distributed chicken in pastry wraps.

Uggh. They still serve that. A chicken sausage roll. Caution frozen filling.

[Edited 2014-06-26 19:19:51]

nelsony

Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:06 am

Hay James,
great report!

Welcome to Melbourne, its my town! I guess we should warn visitors that we are the city of four seasons in 1 day.
Even the Melburnians can't predict the weather   1 minute its miserable, 1 minute its sunny and warm.

The best time of the year is during Jan/Feb, where it is hot weather.

The business cabin was slightly better. I had wondered after how much it would have cost to fly this sector in J. As it turned out, this was the only sector on this trip over about 2 hours in length that I didn’t fly in business.

If you are an AMEX card holder, I'm not sure if the transfer partners for UK AMEX are the same, but Malaysia Airlines' Enrich program is a partner of AMEX Australia, and you can redeem LHR to MEL in J class, return, for as little as 104,000 points, you gotta do a bit of searching but they are available.

As for the price competitiveness, MH is not the most competitive in the region. Often I can find J seats on EY that are cheaper than MH, and I prefer EY over MH.

lychemsa

Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:38 am

I did not find Melbourne worth a visit. Neither Adelaide but I loved Sydney.

I would still avoid MH personally. The fares though are great.

sultanils

Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:39 am

Hi J!

A good read once again. What a crazy idea, to fly up north to KUL only to go back south again, wonder who came up with something like this  Good choice on MH, especially the seats and cabin on the B737 look pretty neat. The A330 seemed not half bad either and good to see for once you had a seatmate that bothered you less.

Quote:
The cabin was pretty decent actually with full sized leather seats, complete with IFE.

As I said, a really nice interior with these stylish seats. And good to see IFE on the narrowbody fleet as well, a feature that more and more airlines are adopting now.

Quote:
Finally captured the 747!

I flew KUL-CDG on the upper deck of a MH 744 some 13 years ago, it was my only longhaul in business class. I enjoyed it very much

Quote:
It wasn’t just this row either; pretty much the whole plane was in this state.

Pretty pathetic really of people to leave their seat just like that. A bit of respect would be in place.

Sultanils

jwhite9185
Topic Author

Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:09 pm

Markus,

Quoting FLIEGER67 (Reply 7):
Well done, J.,
for sure interesting to follow you on the further way down under.

Thanks,

And the detour for KUL seems worth it this way.

Yeah - much better value, plus I got to put my OneWorld status to a bit more use.

Looking forward to more Australian adventures.

Stil a couple to come.

pokfur,

Quoting pokfur (Reply 8):
Lovely coincidence of both our TRs!

Yeah it was!

It's interesting to see that your fare was so cheap despite it being a fully flexible ticket. So it wasn't a sale fare then?

I wasn't aware of it being a sale fare. I also got a good deal from them on my trip around Asia last year too.

It's also fascinating to note that although Melbourne and Sydney are kinda close, the routes taken to both cities from KUL are quite different. I would have thought the flight paths would be similar initially, before branching out to either city nearer the end...

Guess it depends on what the weather is doing on the day.

How did the food taste like?

Pretty good. No complaints, thats for sure.

Did you like the toilets and did they smell good??

Haha - they were fine - mainly because there was a crew member cleaning them after every passenger.

That's just plain inconsiderate    I wouldn't want to be the next passenger at that seat; no doubt some crumbs would still be left behind...

Yeah - after the late arrival, no doubt the cleaning crew would be under added pressure.

Very lovely photos of Melbourne as well.

Thanks.

allrite

Quoting allrite (Reply 9):
Pity that Melbourne didn't put on some finer weather for you.

It wasn't just Melbourne...

There's plenty to do in my favourite Australian city.

I found there was enough to keep me entertained during my stay.

I would have put a change of clothes and other necessities in my carry on and checked the rest of the luggage through.

It wasn't so much of a big deal really.

Uggh. They still serve that. A chicken sausage roll. Caution frozen filling.

I've been served worse.

nelsony,

Quoting nelsony (Reply 10):
Hay James,
great report!

Thanks

I guess we should warn visitors that we are the city of four seasons in 1 day.

I had heard that before and got first hand experience of it.

As for the price competitiveness, MH is not the most competitive in the region. Often I can find J seats on EY that are cheaper than MH, and I prefer EY over MH.

Possibly, but being able to use the lounges with MH was another deciding factor.

lychemsa,

Quoting lychemsa (Reply 11):
I did not find Melbourne worth a visit.

It wasn't that bad!

I would still avoid MH personally. The fares though are great.

No reason to avoid them - on my 5 flights with them in the last year I've had no reason to complain. Sure, they're not the best airline out there, but far from the worst.

Nils,

Quoting sultanils (Reply 12):
A good read once again

Thanks,

What a crazy idea, to fly up north to KUL only to go back south again, wonder who came up with something like this

I've done that back in January...

the seats and cabin on the B737 look pretty neat.

I was quite impressed when I turned around and saw PTV's.

The A330 seemed not half bad either

Nothing wrong with MH's latest hardware at all.

good to see for once you had a seatmate that bothered you less.

Made a welcome change.

I flew KUL-CDG on the upper deck of a MH 744 some 13 years ago, it was my only longhaul in business class. I enjoyed it very much

MH business seems pretty decent to me.

Pretty pathetic really of people to leave their seat just like that. A bit of respect would be in place.

I'd feel pretty embarrassed about leaving anything in such a state.

MIAspotter

Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:54 pm

Hi James!

Nice continuation of the trip.

I took a few steps outside to grab a few breaths of fresh air

More like ¨I took a few steps outside to be hit by a wall of hot and humid tropical air¨ lol.

I made my way through to the business centre to print off some boarding passes so I could keep the one I had as a souvenir.

Luckily the drama queen agent in Barcelona does not have branches in Singapore lol.

The MH 737 with the BSI looks really nice and comfortable.

As it turned out, I was given a room on the executive floor. Although the room was identical to the one I’d had previously.

Nice room! :O

I happened to glance out of the window, and noticed that Australia was edging its way towards us.

I still dream of the day I get to see that  
I felt sorry for the cleaners. It wasn’t just this row either; pretty much the whole plane was in this state. And why take everything out of the seat pocket too?

Pretty nasty, sadly this is the way some people behave, I have also seen it on a DL flight from LGW to ATL.

Nice pics of Melbourne, shame the weather did not cooperate.

Looking forward to the other parts 

MIAspotter.

OA260

Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:08 pm

Hey James  

Interesting report on MH. They are a good cheap way to get to OZ at the moment. Some very attractive deals from various markets. Good to see what their Y is like.

Some nice lounges along the way too.

Thanks for the pics from Melbourne. Looks not a bad city.

Regards

Philip  

jwhite9185
Topic Author

Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:36 pm

Christian,

Quoting MIAspotter (Reply 14):
Nice continuation of the trip.

Thanks,

More like ¨I took a few steps outside to be hit by a wall of hot and humid tropical air¨ lol.

Yeah, but that didn't sound as good!

Luckily the drama queen agent in Barcelona does not have branches in Singapore lol.

Yeah luckily, they seem to only be based in BCN.

The MH 737 with the BSI looks really nice and comfortable.

Yeah not a bad place to fly.

Nice room! :O

Its a good hotel - bit pricey, but you get your monies worth.

I still dream of the day I get to see that

One day...

Nice pics of Melbourne, shame the weather did not cooperate.

Thanks again. Yeah shame about the weather. At least it cleared up for a little while on the morning I left!

Philip,

Quoting OA260 (Reply 15):
Interesting report on MH.

Thanks,

They are a good cheap way to get to OZ at the moment.

Cheap way of getting to most places it seems.

Some nice lounges along the way too.

The one in SIN was a bit forgettable, but (understandably) the one in KL is quite good.

The777Man

Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:40 am

Hi James !

Thanks for another great report in this series.

Flights on MH seem very nice and even the short flight to KUL looks very good.

Nice pictures from Australia and the landscape IS very scenic from above. I flew Lauda Air 777 KUL-SYD in 1998 and I remember the nice colors of the outback while in flight.

Great that you were able to walk around the F1 track in Melbourne! I've driven around the F1 circuit in Monaco but when it was just regular streets but still a very nice feeling.

Looking forward to the next part in the series.

The777Man

jwhite9185
Topic Author

Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:01 pm

Lars,

Quoting The777Man (Reply 17):
Thanks for another great report in this series.

Thanks

Flights on MH seem very nice and even the short flight to KUL looks very good.

Yeah it wasn't bad. I would say I could have stayed on for a bit longer, but after a 17 odd hour trip from Europe, I was pretty keen to get to KUL and bed!

Nice pictures from Australia and the landscape IS very scenic from above.

Over that part of it... The trip from MEL-SYD wasn't anything special.

Great that you were able to walk around the F1 track in Melbourne!

That wasn't the only one I was able to walk around on this trip...

I've driven around the F1 circuit in Monaco but when it was just regular streets but still a very nice feeling.

The only time I've made it to Monaco, the historic GP was on, so pretty much the whole area was boarded off!

roberts87

Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:30 pm

Hello James,

Interesting report here! An OK performance by MH indeed, as you say. Some nice views of Australia along the way though. And some nice pictures of Melbourne, shame about the weather! Looking forward to reading more!

jwhite9185
Topic Author

Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:43 pm

Robert,

Quoting roberts87 (Reply 19):
Interesting report here!

Thanks,

An OK performance by MH indeed

Yeah, nothing more nothing less.

. Some nice views of Australia along the way though.

A great sunset too.

And some nice pictures of Melbourne

Thanks again

shame about the weather

True, it could have been a little sunnier!

ba319-131

Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:44 pm

Nice read and pictures James, as usual, glad I found some time to read.

Quoting jwhite9185 (Reply 1):
Despite a pretty full load, the middle seat remained empty

- Always a nice touch.

Quoting jwhite9185 (Reply 1):

- I understand they have one on back-up due to A380 maintenance.

For the first time in a long time, I had a seatmate who didn’t sleep at all during the flight – meaning I was able to get up and explore freely. If anything he seemed a little hyperactive, constantly taking to everybody around

- Oh god, I hate talkative seat mates, ask my wife!

the crew distributed chicken in pastry wraps.

- Hmm, decidedly bland looking.....

After around 45 minutes of holding, we were finally ushered on to finals.

- Now that's a hold and more!

Due to a slight issue with my visa

- Do we need a visa, I can't recall, last visit to Oz was 2007.

Cheers

Mark

jwhite9185
Topic Author

Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:58 pm

Hi Mark,

Quoting ba319-131 (Reply 21):
Nice read and pictures James

Thanks,

- Always a nice touch.

Especially after a long ride from Europe + a stop over in DOH.

- I understand they have one on back-up due to A380 maintenance.

Good to know.

- Oh god, I hate talkative seat mates, ask my wife!

Ha, it wasn't too bad at the beginning, but towards the end of the flight it got a little much!

- Hmm, decidedly bland looking.....

Not quite as fancy as the catering options experienced the previous day, thats for sure.

- Now that's a hold and more!

Puts LHR to shame!

- Do we need a visa, I can't recall, last visit to Oz was 2007.

Yeah its much like the ESTA program for the US. Fill out your details online and print off your confirmation.

IndianicWorld

Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:52 am

I did not find Melbourne worth a visit. Neither Adelaide but I loved Sydney.

Melbourne depends what you are into.

If you like arts and sports, Melbourne would offer much for you to see and do.
If you like nature and natural attractions, Melbourne and surrounds also can offer this.
If you want the beach, try elsewhere.
If you want to see a city that has your icon photo experience, go to Sydney. Once you get that pic, you can leave  

Each city has their individual attractions and strengths. It will all depend what interests you.

joeytaffy93

Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:26 pm

Thank you for the trip report, I enjoyed it.

Coal

Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:44 am

Thanks for sharing this report. Last night I booked MH to fly SYD-KUL-HKG and return, for a very attractive fare (unfortunately, we all know why). I have never flown MH before and I am really looking forward to fly them.

Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 23):
If you like arts and sports, Melbourne would offer much for you to see and do.
If you like nature and natural attractions, Melbourne and surrounds also can offer this.
If you want the beach, try elsewhere.
If you want to see a city that has your icon photo experience, go to Sydney. Once you get that pic, you can leave

If you like rain and not knowing whether to wear shorts or a winter coat, Melbourne   
If you like glorious, sunny weather, high temperatures even in the winter, Sydney   

Cheers
Coal

IndianicWorld

Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:59 am

With all the events of the last few months, lets hope that MH can rebound. My experiences with them have been of a high standard.

Quoting Coal (Reply 25):
If you like rain and not knowing whether to wear shorts or a winter coat, Melbourne
If you like glorious, sunny weather, high temperatures even in the winter, Sydney

Good one. Sydney's winter average is only a couple of degrees warmer than here, so good luck on that one  

There's also more to a city than its weather anyway, which was the point of my reply. If weather was a contributor for a city to be desirable as a destination, NYC, London and Paris, just to name a few, would all never be visited as their winter weather is far worse than here.

jwhite9185
Topic Author

Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:36 pm

JoeyTaffy93,

Quoting JoeyTaffy93 (Reply 24):
Thank you for the trip report, I enjoyed it.

Thanks, glad you enjoyed.

Coal,

Quoting Coal (Reply 25):
Thanks for sharing this report.

No problem.

Quoting Coal (Reply 25):
Last night I booked MH to fly SYD-KUL-HKG and return, for a very attractive fare

They've had good fares for a while now, even before the issues they've had this year.

Quoting Coal (Reply 25):
I have never flown MH before and I am really looking forward to fly them.

They're not too bad.

IndianicWorld,

Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 26):
With all the events of the last few months, lets hope that MH can rebound.

I do hope so. Although its looking less likely.

Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 26):
There's also more to a city than its weather anyway, which was the point of my reply. If weather was a contributor for a city to be desirable as a destination, NYC, London and Paris, just to name a few, would all never be visited as their winter weather is far worse than here.

Very true.

Coal

Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:47 pm

Hi James

Thanks a lot for sharing this report. Tomorrow evening I am flying SYD-KUL-HKG and back on Sunday. Although I lived in Singapore for seven years, I never before tried MH, and I am really looking forward to it.

Did you get some sort of an amenity kit? I am wondering if MH will give out eyeshades. I forgot my QR J class face mask (or really big eye shades, whatever) at home in SYD and I'm at work in CBR so I won't have a chance to pick them up on the way to HKG, so I am wondering if I should get one at the airport, as I'll be popping some sleeping pills and ear plugs.

Cheers
Coal

jwhite9185
Topic Author

Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:43 pm

Coal,

Quoting Coal (Reply 28):
Tomorrow evening I am flying SYD-KUL-HKG

Nice routing - shame MH no longer use the A380 on the KUL-HKG service, like they did last year:

Asia 1: A Journey Of Epic Proportions LHR-KUL-HKG (by jwhite9185 Dec 8 2013 in Trip Reports)

Quoting Coal (Reply 28):
Did you get some sort of an amenity kit?

No they don't.

Quoting Coal (Reply 28):
I am wondering if I should get one at the airport

Probably your best bet.

Coal

Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:40 pm

Quoting jwhite9185 (Reply 29):
MH no longer use the A380 on the KUL-HKG service, like they did last year

Shame! I'll be on a 738.

Quoting jwhite9185 (Reply 29):
No they don't.

Thanks for letting me know!

Cheers
Coal

PlaneHunter

Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:38 pm

Hi James,

great third part of your series. MH's product looks fine, I really like the new 737s' interiors. I really hope MH will be able to survive. The hotel at KUL looks great, will keep that in mind.

PH

jwhite9185
Topic Author

Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:13 pm

PH,

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 31):
great third part of your series.

Thanks,

MH's product looks fine, I really like the new 737s' interiors.

It was pretty good - I could easily spend a few hours on one.

I really hope MH will be able to survive.

Same here, they're a decent enough airline.

The hotel at KUL looks great, will keep that in mind.

I'd recommend it. It may be a little on the pricey side, but the location and rooms are great.

adamspotter

Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:39 pm

Hi James!

Great continuation on your trip down under. You made some lovely pictures  
Looks like you had 2 enjoyable flights with MH, it will be interesting to see what happens to them in the coming months.
The "new" cabin on the 737 looks very nice, the PTVs are a big plus as well. Their LH Y product doesn't look too bad either, the meal looks pretty nice.
Great pictures of Melbourne as well despite the weather. The night shots look lovely!

This one was just six months old at the time - in fact it was delivered to MH on the day I last flew into KUL.

There is a nice coincidence

Maybe kept in tact for the yearly Hajj flights?

Did it taste as dull as it looks?

Even Heathrow doesn't shut down for low cloud?

Are you sure? 
I felt sorry for the cleaners. It wasn’t just this row either; pretty much the whole plane was in this state. And why take everything out of the seat pocket too?

That is bad. I guess there was a kid sitting there who needed to be entertained. No excuse to leave such a mess though..

Thanks for sharing!

cheers,

Brendan

jwhite9185
Topic Author

Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:31 am

Brendan,

Quoting adamspotter (Reply 33):
Great continuation on your trip down under. You made some lovely pictures

Thanks

will be interesting to see what happens to them in the coming months.

Interesting times ahead thats for sure.

Their LH Y product doesn't look too bad either,

Having done a couple of ultra long haul flights with them last year, I can say its decent enough.

Great pictures of Melbourne as well despite the weather. The night shots look lovely!

Thanks again.

Maybe kept in tact for the yearly Hajj flights?

I'm led to believe this is the case.

Did it taste as dull as it looks?

Lets just say it was better than nothing...

Are you sure?

No!

That is bad. I guess there was a kid sitting there who needed to be entertained. No excuse to leave such a mess though..

Most of the plane was in this state...