Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

The777Man
Topic Author

Turkmenistan Airlines 77L IST-ASB In Y

Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:54 pm

B A C K G R O U N D

This is my 50th 777 carrier and it was the most difficult to fly on.

Turkmenistan Airlines (T5) have a website, in fact several. Their latest website is from the start of the winter schedule 2013/14. It has a feature to book flights but it doesn’t work. It does list flight schedules but it’s a bit outdated although you get an idea. The previous website is from the summer 2013 schedule and it’s not possible to book flights on there. That website had more information than the latest one including general sales agents in other countries.

When T5 took delivery of their first 77L for passenger service in March this year, I started to track it on Flightradar 24 to see what routes it would fly. It seemed to go to IST almost every day. Another issue is that it’s difficult to get a tourist visa so it would be best to just arrange a trip with a simple transfer in Ashgabat, the hub for Turkmenistan Airlines. I figured out in the outdated schedules that there was a DXB-ASB-IST routing available on Tue so I called the office in London but they would not sell me a ticket not starting from London. I couldn’t get much more out of the Frankfurt office. I then tried the UAE office in Abu Dhabi and they weren’t much help either. I then looked at separate agents in Dubai and finally found an agency there that was able to issue the ticket. Easy said and done ? No, they don’t accept credit card so I had to do a wire transfer from my bank account to theirs. It took longer than expected and my ticket had not been issued when I boarded my flight to DXB. First thing upon arrival was to check my email and finally my ticket was issued the day before my flight.

I was scheduled to fly in May and as I was waiting after check in at the gate, I could see on FlightRadar 24 that the one 777 they had in service was on the way to PEK……Anyways, I had to give it a try but when I got to ASB to check in , sure enough, the aircraft had been changed to a 757. Very frustrating.

A few months later I was finally able to get an extra day off, perfectly timed just before scheduled surgery. This time I would start in Istanbul so that I could make sure that the aircraft was on the way or I could abort my mission and just go back from there and use the ticket at a later date. The downside with this was a 15h connection in ASB. Advance seat assignment not available this time either.

This time things worked out and I was even able to send the money by Western Union to the travel agent to get the ticket issued. After the flight from LAX to IST, the first thing I check when I land is to see if a 77L is on the way from ASB and I’m very happy to see that EZ-A779 is on the way.

Finally, on my second try, it’s time to fly on Turkmenistan Airlines’ new Boeing 777-200/LR.

T H E F L I G H T

Date : 17 July 2014
Route : Istanbul IST – Ashgabat ASB
Distance : 1585mi
Flight : T5 922
Flight Time : 2:48h
Dep. Time : 22:10
Aircraft : Boeing 777-22K/LR
Dep. Gate : 218
Seat : 17A
Inflight Entertainment : none – PTV but no content

243rd flight on a Boeing 777; 7th on a Boeing 777-200/LR
Flown on 140 different Boeing 777 aircraft (frames)

I arrived a few hours before and went to the transit desk but they were unable to help me and directed me to go thru immigration and check in with Turkmenistan Airlines at their check in counter.

There wasn’t any line going thru immigration so it didn’t take long for me to get to the check in counter. There were already a lot of people there even three and a half hours before departure. A couple of security agents came around to look at tickets and passports before the check in process started. Check in started 30 minutes later and most people had lots of luggage. Three to four pieces per person was standard. I was taken out of line to be helped faster since I did not have any luggage to check. They could only check me in to ASB and would have to check in separately for DXB in ASB.

I got some souvenirs before going thru security and then got something to eat before going to the gate. Unfortunatly, it was getting dark by the time the aircraft arrived but I took some pictures anyway.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j214/The777Man/T5%2077L/IMG_1228.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j214/The777Man/T5%2077L/IMG_1233.jpg

An agent for T5 had all passengers move out from the gate area. People were then allowed back in but only after their carry on items had been weighed on a handheld scale. I was one of the first back in and got a nice window seat but boarding started shortly thereafter. Boarding was extremely chaotic; basically every rushes the gate reader. I was used to this from my two previous two flights on T5 (my failed 77L attempt in May) so I was prepared and was able to board fairly early so I could get some pictures of my seat and cabin.

Since everybody rushed onboard at the same time, boarding was very fast ☺. The whole plane was basically boarded in less then 10 minutes. There were some people that had issues with their seat assignments but we still left on time.

The seat was comfortable with very good legroom. Nice big screen and nice upholstery with a pattern that seemed very Turkmen. There was an electric outlet between the seats, a USB port next to the screen and winged headrest as common these day.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j214/The777Man/T5%2077L/IMG_1235.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j214/The777Man/T5%2077L/IMG_1236.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j214/The777Man/T5%2077L/IMG_1238.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j214/The777Man/T5%2077L/IMG_1243.jpg

There was also a picture of Turkmenistans President at the bulkhead, something I haven’t seen on any other airline.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j214/The777Man/T5%2077L/IMG_1244.jpg

All announcements were in Turkmen and Russian only, unlike my two flights in April. Most passengers were also from Turkmenistan but a few from Turkey although I was the only westerner. A lot of the Turkmen passengers are older women and it seems they buy things in Turkey to bring home and sell.

Taxi out took a while but take off was quick as expected but not the kick-in-the-butt experience it can be on a -200/LR sometimes.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j214/The777Man/T5%2077L/IMG_1249.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j214/The777Man/T5%2077L/IMG_1253.jpg

Dinner was served about 45 minutes after departure; beef with couscous, youghurt salad, apple cake, a chocolate bar and a piece of bread. The food didn’t taste that great but it was okay when I went in May on the 757. The trays were cleared quickly and at that time, the crew came around with tea and soft drinks again. I tried their “limounade” which tasted similar to the Brazilian soft drink guarana that I tired when I flew TAM Brasil a few years ago.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j214/The777Man/T5%2077L/IMG_1252.jpg

[/URL]

I tried to use the IFE system but it never worked and the Turkish guys next to me asked a flight attendant and they were told the IFE system is not working. I spent the flight resting and listening to music.

We parked right next to the other Boeing 777 for T5 and deplaned thru stairs. We were bussed to the new temporary terminal. They are building a new terminal in ASB but the current temporary one only opened in March this year and it’s nice but small.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j214/The777Man/T5%2077L/IMG_1256.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j214/The777Man/T5%2077L/IMG_1259.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j214/The777Man/T5%2077L/IMG_1264.jpg

C O N C L U S I O N

I was glad that things worked out and that I was finally able to fly Turkmenistan Airlines new Boeing 777-200/LR. The on board configuration is comfortable but not too impressive since no IFE what so ever. T5 has mentioned that they may start long haul flights with their 77Ls and it's been mentioned that they would fly to New York or perhaps Toronto. I don't see how those flights would be full unless they are targeting Sikhs going to Amritsar. Istanbul makes sense for now with the 77Ls since it's one of few places Turkmens can go without a visa. Turkmenistan is a different country and the airline reflects that.

E P I L O G UE

Due to the schedule, I had a 15h connection in Ashgabat. On my last try, they had insisted that I needed a transit visa for my 4h connection but in the end things worked out and I could stay in the transit area. Now that I had a 15h connection, I was hoping to be required again to get a transit visa so I could get some sleep in a hotel. Unfortunatly, no such luck. I was really tired after two night flights, LAX-IST and IST-ASB, and found some seats where I slept for a few hours. Rest of the time was spent in the internet café and writing this report. I also read about the downing of MH 17 and then watched BBC World for about an hour in the Bar where I also had lunch.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j214/The777Man/T5%2077L/IMG_1270.jpg

]http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j214/The777Man/T5%2077L/IMG_1276.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j214/The777Man/T5%2077L/IMG_1280.jpg

There were lot of flights in the morning leaving but after about 730, the next departure was not until 1800 to Dubai which was my flight so I had to whole transit area to myself.

Interesting to note that the food on my ASB-DXB flight was very good especially when compared to the IST-ASB flight.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j214/The777Man/T5%2077L/IMG_1284.jpg

Magazine from my previous flight in May

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j214/The777Man/T5%2077L/IMG_1278.jpg

Next 777 carrier for me ? Probably China Airlines and China Eastern later this year.

Comments please!

The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

joeytaffy93

RE: Turkmenistan Airlines 77L IST-ASB In Y

Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:39 pm

Thank you for sharing this trip report. It doesn't look to bad for that sort of country how ever I am surprised that the IFE wasn't working when it was clearly there.

abrelosojos

Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:25 pm

YOU DID IT LARS!

Congratulations on this. When there is a desire, it happens. I am so proud of your accomplishment mate.

Thanks for a brilliant report on an exotic carrier.

Saludos,
Alex
Live, and let live.

lychemsa

Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:37 am

I found the picture of the President unique. Thanks.

MHTripple7

Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:46 am

YESSSS. What a great story on one of the most bizarre airlines out there. I'll need to check out Turkmenistan one day, that place looks interesting to say the least. How would you describe the crew?

Are there any more 777 flights you have planned?

Thanks for sharing! This was a good one.

harim

Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:31 am

Good job - perseverance pays off!

Thank you for sharing - I very much appreciate reading.

JMO-777

Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:12 am

Hey Lars,

very interesting trip.

There was a one off Turkmenistan 77L here in FRA, two weeks ago.

Beste Grüße,
Jan
~~~ Fly with a Triple Seven and you feel like in heaven ~~~

FLIEGER67

Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:45 am

Hi, L.,

well done. Such an exotic experience and with the second try you made it.
Really interesting to follow you´re impressions about Turkmenistan Airlines, definitely unique to follow here.
Looking for more hopefully soon.

Greetings,
Markus(FLIEGER67)
Tripreporter.net

The777Man
Topic Author

Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:00 am

Hi !

Thanks for all the comments !

Quoting JoeyTaffy93 (Reply 1):
Thank you for sharing this trip report. It doesn't look to bad for that sort of country how ever I am surprised that the IFE wasn't working when it was clearly there.

When it comes to Turkmenistan, nothing much surprises me anymore  

The following is from a Facebook post on their Facebook page:

The entertainment system ‘i5000’ of the French company “Thales” enables to watch the films and listen to the music; sensor screens add amusement to the entire flight; the film ‘library’ offers an excellent choice of telefilms and breathtaking documentary films produced in the high digital quality; at the disposal of passengers are also video cameras installed on the outside of the liner; the entertainment games are accessible for the children in line with all age limits.
Businessmen are offered such service, as the wireless Wi-Fi Internet and roaming GSM communication; any of the passengers may take advantage of using the individual USB-port, electric plug for recharging the portable devices.

So I guess they will activate it later, possibly ?

Another twist is that although Turkmenistan Airlines has a Facebook page, Facebook is one of several websites banned in Turkmenistan…….

Quoting abrelosojos (Reply 2):
YOU DID IT LARS!

Congratulations on this. When there is a desire, it happens. I am so proud of your accomplishment mate.

Thanks for a brilliant report on an exotic carrier.

Salu

Thanks Alex ! It was very complicated and I had to try it twice……Being persistent helps and also looking at every possible way to get tickets.

I cannot imagine a carrier more difficult to get tickets on at least not one that has/will get 777s.

Looking forward to reading more reports from you!

Thanks again for your kind words!

Quoting MHTripple7 (Reply 4):
YESSSS. What a great story on one of the most bizarre airlines out there. I'll need to check out Turkmenistan one day, that place looks interesting to say the least. How would you describe the crew?

Are there any more 777 flights you have planned?

Thanks for sharing! This was a good one.

Thanks ! Let me know if you will buy a ticket since I can recommend the travel agent in Dubai that I used.

I think it's a bit complicated to get a tourist visa and there are some other things to look into as well. Turkmenistan is not the usual place for tourists……

The crew was okay; not particularly talkative or overly friendly but were accommodating when taking orders for meals/drinks.

More 777 plans ? Yes, planning a long weekend to try CI and MU 77Ws in November. Also planning to try some of the carriers I flown before but didn't write a report on.

What about your travel plans ? Where are you going next ?

Quoting harim (Reply 5):
Good job - perseverance pays off!

Thank you for sharing - I very much appreciate reading.

Thanks ! Sometimes it's worth it to keep trying hard to accomplish something.

Quoting JMO-777 (Reply 6):
Hey Lars,

very interesting trip.

There was a one off Turkmenistan 77L here in FRA, two weeks ago.

Yes, I saw that it was on the way there. I was tracking both their 77Ls four times a day for about three months……

Quoting lychemsa (Reply 3):
I found the picture of the President unique. Thanks.

Yes, that is very different. I don't even think Air Koryo of North Korea does that.

Thanks again for all the comments !

The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

joeytaffy93

Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:57 am

Quoting The777Man (Reply 8):
When it comes to Turkmenistan, nothing much surprises me anymore

The following is from a Facebook post on their Facebook page:

The entertainment system ‘i5000’ of the French company “Thales” enables to watch the films and listen to the music; sensor screens add amusement to the entire flight; the film ‘library’ offers an excellent choice of telefilms and breathtaking documentary films produced in the high digital quality; at the disposal of passengers are also video cameras installed on the outside of the liner; the entertainment games are accessible for the children in line with all age limits.
Businessmen are offered such service, as the wireless Wi-Fi Internet and roaming GSM communication; any of the passengers may take advantage of using the individual USB-port, electric plug for recharging the portable devices.

So I guess they will activate it later, possibly ?

Another twist is that although Turkmenistan Airlines has a Facebook page, Facebook is one of several websites banned in Turkmenistan…….

I'm not even going to try and understand Turkmenistan.   

SCQ83

Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:18 pm

Very interesting. Thanks for the report. ASB doesn't look too shabby, and the interior looks reasonable other than those "Leader" pictures.

I have an anecdote regarding T5. A few years ago I was at the low-cost terminal in AUH where T5 flies from. I was way early and the only flight at that time was T5 to ASB. I was in the cafeteria when some friendly Turkmen on the table next to me started talking to me in English; since it was obvious I was neither Central Asian nor Arab and they thought I was boarding that flight (it was the only flight around). They were probably curious.

After talking for a few minutes about any kind of superficial things, I wanted to see their reactions. I just told them that unfortunately I didn't know much about their country, but I knew they have a famous president, but I just couldn't remember his name, and whether it was possible for them to remind me his name   (and I didn't make any negative or positive remark about him!). Their face changed completely and they turned around like I didn't exist.

It was absolutely mind-blowing.

It was interesting to note also that the passengers (including the pilots) where literally buying the whole Duty Free like they were heading to North Korea; anything from Kit Kats to liquor. The pilot easily bought 20 bottles of Western alcohol (Absolut, etc.)

[Edited 2014-07-21 05:19:32]

eastafspot

Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:30 pm

Awesome TR The777man,

Congratulation for your hard earned milestone. That's great it turned out as a positive experience, since you were still a bit worried 2 weeks ago. From booking to deplaning it's such different in this obscure airline/country from what we are used to see! Your trip has been made with the A.net style: no matter how hard are the conditions, there is a goal to achieve     .
The livery is very simple and a better comfort/meal onboard would have been appreciated, but hey, you can't have everything in life  .

Quoting The777Man (Thread starter):
so I had to do a wire transfer from my bank account to theirs. It took longer than expected and my ticket had not been issued when I boarded my flight to DXB.

You must have stressed for a while!

I was scheduled to fly in May and as I was waiting after check in at the gate, I could see on FlightRadar 24 that the one 777 they had in service was on the way to PEK……Anyways, I had to give it a try but when I got to ASB to check in , sure enough, the aircraft had been changed to a 757. Very frustrating.

How is the 757 interior and comfort ?

Doesn't look new to me but good you got off at DXB instead of Pekin this time...

There was also a picture of Turkmenistans President at the bulkhead,

How intriguing, in Africa you can find a picture of the President everywhere, but not yet on the planes !

Now that I had a 15h connection, I was hoping to be required again to get a transit visa so I could get some sleep in a hotel.

No meal voucher offered?

Turkmenistan is a different country and the airline reflects that.

I have never heard of this country/airline so thank you for this nice discovery anyway.

I also read about the downing of MH 17

Very sad event indeed, may all the victims rest in peace   .

I applaud your courage for attempting another time and sharing it with us, many thanks Lars!

Looking forward to more  
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !

OM617

Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:36 pm

Hi Lars,

Congratulations on a successful trip! IIRC your surgery is today; I hope everything goes well.

Say, in the first picture with the President's portrait, what is that to the right of it, against the outside wall just behind the door? Looks like a series of compartments?

What is the seating configuration (3-3-3, 3-4-3...) and did you get a chance to peek into the F/C cabin (if there is one)?

I cannot imagine a carrier more difficult to get tickets on at least not one that has/will get 777s.

Still awaiting trip report for Ceiba Intercontinental  
I think it's a bit complicated to get a tourist visa and there are some other things to look into as well. Turkmenistan is not the usual place for tourists……

There may be some travel companies that offer tours to exotic locales like Turkmenistan. I'd imagine the regime is more comfortable providing visas well in advance to folks traveling in a group that they've already checked out, rather than to an individual asking for a visa on the spot.

Quoting eastafspot (Reply 11):
No meal voucher offered?

Hey, at least they fed him on the flight! Where in the US are you going to get anything like that on a 2 1/2 hr flight in Y????

Thanks for the report and wishing you a full recovery.

Take care,
Dan

dirktraveller

Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:02 pm

Hi Lars,

Glad to hear your efforts on getting a seat on the Turkmenistan B77L eventually paid off. Congratulations for a great trip report on an airline we rarely heard of! The service offering seems fairly standard, while the interior seems fine even for a longer flight.

Tue so I called the office in London but they would not sell me a ticket not starting from London.

How disappointing whenever we came across such instances where they only sell tickets out of point A or B. Given today's technology and interconnectedness each representative should have access the entire network. They represent the airline for a reason.

There was an electric outlet between the seats, a USB port next to the screen and winged headrest as common these day.

Glad to see T5 B77L does have the 'common' features of a long-haul interior today.

There was also a picture of Turkmenistans President at the bulkhead, something I haven’t seen on any other airline.

Interesting, on my last visit to Brunei I remembered looking at a picture of the Sultan and the Queen in the lounge. But for Turkmenistan having a photo of their leader in the bulkhead is something unique!

Thanks a lot for sharing this interesting report.

Regards,
Dirktraveller

reifel

Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:46 pm

Now that is exotic! Thanks a lot for sharing. Ashgabad airports looks nice!
I guess they do not get a lot of transfer passengers there  

eielef

Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:00 pm

Hello, The777Man. Great report, haven't seen a Turkmenistan Airlines one before.
I once read that when Ashgabat airport was built, in the 90s, the Turkmenbassy thought it was a pleasant and beautifull idea to build the ATC Tower on the wrong side of the airport, so the ATC Employees couldn´t see any aircraft approaching. Although it was technically stupid, he thought it was nice.

I´m wondering if the ATC is still there!
Cheers
Eielef @IRJ

airDFW

Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:17 pm

May be I am new to the party but how do you manage to cram all this travelling with work? Nice report. These days, I only look for "exotic" travel itineraries or airlines. And Turkmenistan did it for me to read this TR, thanks.

globalflyer

Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:49 pm

Really great report Lars on this very unique carrier. I have seen the T5 77L in ATL at the Delta TOC for maintenance a few times and always thought that it was indeed unique. Thanks for sharing and best of luck in surgery recovery. Cheers, Will
Landing on every Continent almost on an annual basis!

Flightsimboy

Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:14 am

This is my 50th 777 carrier

You are undoubtedly the 777 King here on a.net!! Congrats.

There were some people that had issues with their seat assignments but we still left on time

Why don't ground staff assign seats with people travelling together, and keep them in one place. On a fully loaded EK 773ER out of JFK, a man refused to sit down, even when we had started to push back. He had sit in his assigned seat but then got up when taxiing in a desperate attempt to sit with his kids ( I believe)

T5 has mentioned that they may start long haul flights with their 77Ls and it's been mentioned that they would fly to New York or perhaps Toronto.

Ooh they would be very welcome here. The colours are nothing to die for, but another 77L besides AC, ET & PK would be nice  
I don't see how those flights would be full unless they are targeting Sikhs going to Amritsar.

I was surprised to find when checking FR24 quite recently there were two Turkmenistan flights out of India, close to each other. Who knows they may even start Karachi  
LAX772LR - "Answer to goofy question:" in response to my question about the B737-MAX8 being grounded. 48 hours later all B737-MAX8 grounded worldwide. Go figure!!

The777Man
Topic Author

Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:16 am

Hi !

Thanks for more comments! I had surgery Monday so was in the hospital and couldn't reply sooner.

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 10):
Very interesting. Thanks for the report. ASB doesn't look too shabby, and the interior looks reasonable other than those "Leader" pictures.

You're welcome! This is the temporary terminal of ASB. They have started construction of a new terminal which should be done in two-three years.

I have an anecdote regarding T5. A few years ago I was at the low-cost terminal in AUH where T5 flies from. I was way early and the only flight at that time was T5 to ASB. I was in the cafeteria when some friendly Turkmen on the table next to me started talking to me in English; since it was obvious I was neither Central Asian nor Arab and they thought I was boarding that flight (it was the only flight around). They were probably curious.

After talking for a few minutes about any kind of superficial things, I wanted to see their reactions. I just told them that unfortunately I didn't know much about their country, but I knew they have a famous president, but I just couldn't remember his name, and whether it was possible for them to remind me his name   (and I didn't make any negative or positive remark about him!). Their face changed completely and they turned around like I didn't exist.

Interesting ! I think things are changing there slowly with the new president. They seem promote more travel and now actually offer an internet cafe at the airport. They still have a long way to go.

It was interesting to note also that the passengers (including the pilots) where literally buying the whole Duty Free like they were heading to North Korea; anything from Kit Kats to liquor. The pilot easily bought 20 bottles of Western alcohol (Absolut, etc.)

yes I saw that in DXB when I was there in May; everyone bought tons of duty free and that's why they were weighing it at the gate.

Congratulation for your hard earned milestone. That's great it turned out as a positive experience, since you were still a bit worried 2 weeks ago. From booking to deplaning it's such different in this obscure airline/country from what we are used to see! Your trip has been made with the A.net style: no matter how hard are the conditions, there is a goal to achieve    

Thanks Leonard ! I was glad I finally made it! The flight or the service was noting special.

How is the 757 interior and comfort ?

Cramped as I recall it.

Doesn't look new to me but good you got off at DXB instead of Pekin this time...

I went from DXB the first time but the airplane went to PEK. This time things work out.

No meal voucher offered?

Funny, no meal voucher offered.

I applaud your courage for attempting another time and sharing it with us, many thanks Lars!

You are welcome.

Looking forward to more  

Hopefully three more reports before the end of the year.

I will reply to more replies later.

Thanks again!

The777Man

sultanils

Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:59 am

Lars,

Really great to read about Turkmenistan and their 777. I’m happy to see your persistence paid off, it wasn’t easy but you managed    That said, I like the simple white-green livery and also the inside looks OK, nothing special - except from the President’s photo  

Quote:
People were then allowed back in but only after their carry on items had been weighed on a handheld scale.

I guess they’re used to people bringing their have and hold onto the plane.

Quote:

As said, really special to see this.

Quote:
I tried to use the IFE system but it never worked

Will it ever...?

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

ba319-131

Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:09 pm

Congrat's Lar's,

Not an easy one by any means!

Your first attempt was very much like my first try at getting the SU I96 earlier in the year, had top go back for second time lucky.

15 hours is some layover in a restricted area, did you manage to spot many of the Turkmenistan fleet during that time?

Cheers

Mark
111 732 733 734 735 736 73G 738 739,7M8 BBJ 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 764 772 77L 773 77W L15 D10 D30 D40 AB3 AB6 312 313 318 319 320 20N 321 21N 332 333 342 343 345 346 359 351 388 CS1 CS3 I86 154 SSJ CRJ CR7 CR9 CRK 145 170 175 220

eielef

Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:27 pm

Dont believe him. Actual Niyazov wasn´t pretty. He had many plastical surgeries for looking young and beautiful. So the portraits shown of him were actually how he wanted to be. But in real photographies he was a different person. I studied quite a lot of him and his government. The best word to describe it is FUNNY.
Again, 777: GREAT report, as all yours!

Cheers
Eielef @TUC

The777Man
Topic Author

Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:43 pm

Quoting OM617 (Reply 12):
Say, in the first picture with the President's portrait, what is that to the right of it, against the outside wall just behind the door? Looks like a series of compartments?

Very good question ! It's boxes from the galley that are stored there! I have never seen anything like that on any airline before. There's usually nothing on the wall of the fuselage except lavatories etc but not part of the galley.

What is the seating configuration (3-3-3, 3-4-3...) and did you get a chance to peek into the F/C cabin (if there is one)?

3-3-3 which is nice. Lots of those older Turkmen woman are somewhat large so think 3-4-3 may be difficult…..

There is a business cabin between door 1 and 2 and it's 2-3-2 and probably with similar seats to what ET has i.e. angled lie flat seats.

Still awaiting trip report for Ceiba Intercontinental  

That will probably be a long wait. The Ceiba 77L is operated by White so technically another carrier.

There may be some travel companies that offer tours to exotic locales like Turkmenistan. I'd imagine the regime is more comfortable providing visas well in advance to folks traveling in a group that they've already checked out, rather than to an individual asking for a visa on the spot.

Yes, I did see adds for some of those companies when I was looking for information.

Quoting dirktraveller (Reply 13):
Glad to hear your efforts on getting a seat on the Turkmenistan B77L eventually paid off. Congratulations for a great trip report on an airline we rarely heard of! The service offering seems fairly standard, while the interior seems fine even for a longer flight.

Thanks ! I'm glad it worked out too. Service was fairly standard.

Quoting dirktraveller (Reply 13):
How disappointing whenever we came across such instances where they only sell tickets out of point A or B. Given today's technology and interconnectedness each representative should have access the entire network. They represent the airline for a reason.

yes, I thought they would be happy to sell tickets anywhere with the airline.

Quoting reifel (Reply 14):
Now that is exotic! Thanks a lot for sharing. Ashgabad airports looks nice!
I guess they do not get a lot of transfer passengers there  

Thanks ! They do specialize in travel to/from Amritsar (sikhs) but those transfers are very limited in time. When I left there perhaps 20 people that arrived from St Petersburg and going to Bangkok. But their connection was maybe 90 minutes at the most.

Quoting eielef (Reply 15):
Hello, The777Man. Great report, haven't seen a Turkmenistan Airlines one before.
I once read that when Ashgabat airport was built, in the 90s, the Turkmenbassy thought it was a pleasant and beautifull idea to build the ATC Tower on the wrong side of the airport, so the ATC Employees couldn´t see any aircraft approaching. Although it was technically stupid, he thought it was nice.

I´m wondering if the ATC is still there!
Cheers
Eielef @IRJ

I have heard that story as well and I guess they still use the same ATC tower but they will build a new one as they expand the airport.

Thanks for all the replies!

The777Man
Topic Author

Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:21 pm

Quoting AirDFW (Reply 16):
May be I am new to the party but how do you manage to cram all this travelling with work? Nice report. These days, I only look for "exotic" travel itineraries or airlines. And Turkmenistan did it for me to read this TR, thanks.

This was a very quick trip during only four days; I flew LAX-IST on TK, IST-ASB-DXB on T5 and then back on EK to TPE and then BR to LAX. I only spent a few hours in a hotel in DXB so the trip was not so relaxing……I have three days off per week and then someone worked for me the fourth day that I needed off.

Quoting globalflyer (Reply 17):
Really great report Lars on this very unique carrier. I have seen the T5 77L in ATL at the Delta TOC for maintenance a few times and always thought that it was indeed unique. Thanks for sharing and best of luck in surgery recovery. Cheers, Will

Thanks! The 77L that's been to ATL is the VIP 77L for T5. It has white engines but I guess in due time you'll see one of the passenger ones too.

Recovery from surgery is slow but moving forward. Thanks

Quoting flightsimboy (Reply 18):
You are undoubtedly the 777 King here on a.net!! Congrats.

Thanks ! I have really focused on that so I think I have earned my username…. 
Why don't ground staff assign seats with people travelling together, and keep them in one place. On a fully loaded EK 773ER out of JFK, a man refused to sit down, even when we had started to push back. He had sit in his assigned seat but then got up when taxiing in a desperate attempt to sit with his kids ( I believe)

They to assign seats at the counter so not sure what happened in this situation. I would suspect some people moved and that caused the problem.

Ooh they would be very welcome here. The colours are nothing to die for, but another 77L besides AC, ET & PK would be nice

We'll see what happens. Perhaps when the new terminal opens.

I was surprised to find when checking FR24 quite recently there were two Turkmenistan flights out of India, close to each other. Who knows they may even start Karachi  

They do go to DEL as well. I don't think they will start flights to Pakistan but you never know. They recently started Paris about 8 months ago.

The777Man

jwhite9185

Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:32 am

Hi there Lars, nice read up on a pretty uncommon airline. I see their 757's at LHR quite regularly, but can't say I know too much about the airline itself. Good that you finally got to log their 777, and even though you were no doubt disappointed in missing out on it the first time around, at least you can say you've logged more than a couple of flights with one of the worlds rarer carriers now!

The777Man
Topic Author

Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:40 am

Quoting sultanils (Reply 20):

Lars,

Really great to read about Turkmenistan and their 777. I’m happy to see your persistence paid off, it wasn’t easy but you managed    That said, I like the simple white-green livery and also the inside looks OK, nothing special - except from the President’s photo

Thanks Nils! I'm very happy that it worked out this time. Colors are okay but they could have done a bit more with the bulkheads other then just have the logo there. The pattern on the upholstery is nice and very Turkmen. They are very famous for the hand made carpets.

I guess they’re used to people bringing their have and hold onto the plane.

Yes, the Turkish guys at check in even told me that these people are very different…..which I already knew. The older women wear a lot of gold necklaces and gladly show off their gold teeth…...

Will it ever...?

Very good question……

Quoting ba319-131 (Reply 21):

Congrat's Lar's,

Not an easy one by any means!

Your first attempt was very much like my first try at getting the SU I96 earlier in the year, had top go back for second time lucky.

Yes, very frustrating. At least a lot closer for you. For me, the whole trip is minimum four days and it only works certain days of the week.

Quoting ba319-131 (Reply 21):
15 hours is some layover in a restricted area, did you manage to spot many of the Turkmenistan fleet during that time?

I got most the first time around even in the four hour layover. So I only got two more the second time; EZ-A778 and EZ-A008.

Missing after two visits are two 717s and one 738. I saw all three 733s that are all stored, all their IL76 and even some of the VIP aircraft. I'd seen the VIP 77L in Haneda before but it was there as well and even left on a flight.

Not sure where those two 717s were and same for the last 738, EZ-A017.

It's difficult to see aircraft parked on the domestic stands but possible to get the registration of the aircraft closest to the transit area.

I was told later in the day NOT to take pictures of the ramp or the terminal and the officer had me delete a few while he watched. Fortunately, I was able to keep most of them.

Quoting eielef (Reply 22):
Dont believe him. Actual Niyazov wasn´t pretty. He had many plastical surgeries for looking young and beautiful. So the portraits shown of him were actually how he wanted to be. But in real photographies he was a different person. I studied quite a lot of him and his government. The best word to describe it is FUNNY.
Again, 777: GREAT report, as all yours!

Niyazov died in 2008 and it seems the new leader has opened up things a little bit.

Quoting jwhite9185 (Reply 25):
Hi there Lars, nice read up on a pretty uncommon airline. I see their 757's at LHR quite regularly, but can't say I know too much about the airline itself. Good that you finally got to log their 777, and even though you were no doubt disappointed in missing out on it the first time around, at least you can say you've logged more than a couple of flights with one of the worlds rarer carriers now!

Thanks James ! I've seen their 757s at LHR as well and I didn't much about them beforehand.

Yes, four flights on four different aircraft is nice. They don't seem to have any frequent flyer program from what I can see……

Thanks again for the comments!

The777Man

N178UA

Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:14 am

Hi Lars

Congratulations on your 50th B777 carrier report! Definitely a memorable one!

I thought the Turkmenistan 777 were VIP configured so I was wrong.

The photo you took onboard and transit at ASB was very interesting!

Wish you a speedy recovery from the surgery!

Sam
For more of myself and my flight reviews visit http://www.SamChui.com

eastafspot

Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:43 pm

Hey, at least they fed him on the flight! Where in the US are you going to get anything like that on a 2 1/2 hr flight in Y????

In addition to the inflight service, passengers with a long transit are offered a meal voucher with Saudia, and Emirates provides even more apparently:
http://www.emirates.com/english/plan...n/dubai-connect/dubai-connect.aspx
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !

The777Man
Topic Author

Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:08 pm

Hi Sam !

Quoting N178UA (Reply 27):
Congratulations on your 50th B777 carrier report! Definitely a memorable one!

Thanks !

I thought the Turkmenistan 777 were VIP configured so I was wrong.

They have one VIP 777, EZ-A777

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Turkm...d=ce330db924961f86308917ab127454b5

and two regular passenger 777s. EZ-A778 and EZ-A779

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Turkm...d=f5b99b21c53a186cbad91cae2fc3c77e

Notice that the VIP 77L has white engines and the passenger ones green.

The photo you took onboard and transit at ASB was very interesting!

Wish you a speedy recovery from the surgery!

Thanks !

Getting better slowly.

The777Man

OA260

Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:46 pm

Hey Lars  

Great report and very unique. I have not seen much on Turkmenistan Airlines so great to have an insight. The picture of the President is very unique too.

Looking forward to more from you.

Regards

Philip  

gabrielchew

Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:45 pm

Congrats for finally making the Turkmen 777!

Wow, even Air Koryo don't have this on the bulkheads.

they would fly to New York or perhaps Toronto. I don't see how those flights would be full unless they are targeting Sikhs going to Amritsar.

Well, they fly quite frequently to BHX....I don't think many Turkmens live in Birmingham, so I assume it's all Indian transit pax
http://my.flightmemory.com/shefgab Upcoming flights: AMS-RIX-BUD-VDA,ETH-TLV-FCO-LHR,STN-TXL-LCY,LTN-CPH-LTN,LGW-SZG,MUC-LHR

The777Man
Topic Author

Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:39 am

Hi ! Thanks for more comments !

Quoting OA260 (Reply 30):
Great report and very unique. I have not seen much on Turkmenistan Airlines so great to have an insight. The picture of the President is very unique too.

Thanks Philip!

Yes, not many reports on Turkmenistan and this is the first one on their 777.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 30):
Looking forward to more from you.

Hopefully two or three more before the end of the year.

Quoting gabrielchew (Reply 31):
Congrats for finally making the Turkmen 777!

Thanks Gabriel ! It took two tries but it worked out in the end!

Wow, even Air Koryo don't have this on the bulkheads

Yes, I have never seen that anywhere. Very different.

Well, they fly quite frequently to BHX....I don't think many Turkmens live in Birmingham, so I assume it's all Indian transit pax

Yes i'm sure BHX is all for transit passengers. They may be after something similar with YYZ if they start that city.

Thanks again!

The777Man

adamspotter

Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:19 pm

Hi there 777Man,

How are you doing? It's been a while since I've talked to you!
Anyway, another nice report you made here. Great to see you were able to catch the T5 777, even though it took two tries   I quite like the interior of this 777, interesting to see the picture of the president on the bulkhead!
The food actually looks pretty nice, shame the taste wasn't good though.
Bit weird to have those PTVs installed if they don't work?

Wow, congrats on this milestone! Very impressive  
Check in started 30 minutes later and most people had lots of luggage. Three to four pieces per person was standard

That's a lot, do all bags travel free on T5?

The whole plane was basically boarded in less then 10 minutes

That is impressive for a 777  Was it a full flight?

Thanks for sharing!

cheers,

Brendan

The777Man
Topic Author

Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:30 am

Hi Brendan!

Quoting adamspotter (Reply 33):
How are you doing? It's been a while since I've talked to you!
Anyway, another nice report you made here. Great to see you were able to catch the T5 777, even though it took two tries   I quite like the interior of this 777, interesting to see the picture of the president on the bulkhead!

I'm doing well although I had surgery about two weeks ago.

The pattern on the seats was nice otherwise not much color in the cabin.

The food actually looks pretty nice, shame the taste wasn't good though.

Yes, it was a bit strange; on all my three other flight on T5, the meals were pretty good.

Bit weird to have those PTVs installed if they don't work?

Perhaps they will be activated later.

Wow, congrats on this milestone! Very impressive

Thanks ! I have been doing this since May 1997 so for a while…..  Just a few more carriers that have the 777 on order currently including two more this year.

That's a lot, do all bags travel free on T5?

No, I'm sure people have to pay at least overweight charges or for extra bags. There was a long line for the excess charge counter.

That is impressive for a 777  Was it a full flight?

Yes, it was very close to full in Economy. People just piled on. That seem to be the norm for Turkmenistan flights, at least that was the case on all my four T5 flights. Even the old ladies will try very hard to push you out of the way to board ahead of you. Same for getting off the aircraft; plane had barely left the runway before people stood up to get their belongings.

Thanks again for the comment!

I'm eagerly awaiting your next report Brendan!

The777Man

Max Q

Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:13 am

Looks like there was a bug in your drink.
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

The777Man
Topic Author

Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:49 pm

Quoting Max Q (Reply 35):
Looks like there was a bug in your drink.

I'm not sure I noticed that before. After looking at it closely, it doesn't seem to be a bug but perhaps a small piece of grass or something similar but not a bug.

Anyways, I survived it!

The777Man

PlaneHunter

Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:11 am

Hi Lars,

I'm really glad that you have made it onto the T5 77L - and I was really looking forward to this report which is great as usual. I wouldn't mind trying T5 - and I would already be satisfied with a 737 or 757.

Congratulations on that milestone!

That was very bad indeed, I can imagine how you felt.

Disappointing.

243rd flight on a Boeing 777; 7th on a Boeing 777-200/LR
Flown on 140 different Boeing 777 aircraft (frames)

The seat was comfortable with very good legroom. Nice big screen and nice upholstery with a pattern that seemed very Turkmen.

The seats look indeed fine.

Now that's something special. I'm wondering what happens if the picture gets damaged somehow - would the plane be grounded?  

Dinner was served about 45 minutes after departure; beef with couscous, youghurt salad, apple cake, a chocolate bar and a piece of bread.

That doesn't look bad.

We parked right next to the other Boeing 777 for T5 and deplaned thru stairs.

Which is very common at IST - and the situation gets worse with every single TK plane added to the fleet.

Now that I had a 15h connection, I was hoping to be required again to get a transit visa so I could get some sleep in a hotel. Unfortunatly, no such luck. I was really tired after two night flights, LAX-IST and IST-ASB, and found some seats where I slept for a few hours.

Not to my taste...

According to "Reporters Without Borders", in 2012 Turkmenistan had the 2nd worst press freedom conditions in the world, behind North Korea. It is considered to be one of the "10 Most Censored Countries".

PH
Nothing's worse than flying the same reg twice!

The777Man
Topic Author

Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:01 am

Hi PlaneHunter!

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 37):
I wouldn't mind trying T5 - and I would already be satisfied with a 737 or 757.

I had some flights on them too….; the new 738s were very nice!

Congratulations on that milestone!

Thanks !

Disappointing.

Yes. I had hoped that they would be operational but perhaps in a few months ?

The seats look indeed fine.

Very comfortable !

Now that's something special. I'm wondering what happens if the picture gets damaged somehow - would the plane be grounded?  

Good question ! No idea. I heard people behind me commenting on me for taking picture of the picture when we excited the plane.

That doesn't look bad.

It's the third least tasty meal out of my 777 experiences; the worst being SU followed by BR.

Which is very common at IST - and the situation gets worse with every single TK plane added to the fleet.

Yes but this was at ASB. No jet bridges there until the new terminal is open. IST will continue to be confusing until the new airport opens in a little over three years. TK continues to impress me although not as great as a few years ago. But still nice meals, menu card, decent IFE and 3-3-3 seating is very nice on a 777.

Not to my taste...

Not to my taste either but that was the only way for me to do it with my days off. There was a cafe/bar and an internet cafe to help pass the time. I did manage to sleep about four-five hours.

According to "Reporters Without Borders", in 2012 Turkmenistan had the 2nd worst press freedom conditions in the world, behind North Korea. It is considered to be one of the "10 Most Censored Countries".

That doesn't surprise me. I still think Turkmenistan is heading in the right direction but very slowly.

No one said anything about taking pictures on the plane.

Thanks again for your comments!

The777Man

PlaneHunter

Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:57 pm

Hi again, Lars!

Quoting The777Man (Reply 38):
Good question ! No idea. I heard people behind me commenting on me for taking picture of the picture when we excited the plane.

Not good - I'm glad you didn't face any trouble.

It's the third least tasty meal out of my 777 experiences; the worst being SU followed by BR.

Seeing BR down there is a bit surprising. But well, I remember catering wasn't nice either on my HKG-TPE-HKG trip some years ago.

No one said anything about taking pictures on the plane.

Certain airlines based in EU countries could learn a lesson.

PH

The777Man
Topic Author

Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:08 pm

Hi PlaneHunter !

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 39):
Not good - I'm glad you didn't face any trouble.

It was just passengers and they seemed to giggle a little that I was taking pics of the portrait of the president.

I was approached by one police when I took pictures of planes on the ramp in Asgabat and I had to delete a few pictures.
Fortunatly I had plenty more in the camera and my pics from the flight was already in the computer by that time. I was very discreet when I arrived and taking pictures on the ramp.

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 39):
Seeing BR down there is a bit surprising. But well, I remember catering wasn't nice either on my HKG-TPE-HKG trip some years ago.

It was not good; everything mixed up; vegetables, rice and very little meat. My last flight about a month ago was on BR TPE-LAX and it was nice and the meals were good too so I guess they are improving.

The777Man

newbief1yer

Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:27 pm

Superb Trip Report, as always - interesting and unique!

243rd flight on a Boeing 777

Blimey, i have some catching up to do.!  

P.s. I think i found the SV 777 (from your trip report i read a while back) in LAX last week and have mentioned it in my trip report. Hope that's alright.

The777Man
Topic Author

Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:23 am

Hi Newbieflyer!

Quoting newbief1yer (Reply 41):
Superb Trip Report, as always - interesting and unique!

Thanks ! There are some old ones that may be of interest too:

Taag 777 LIS-LAD 17May07 With Pics (by The777Man Jun 12 2007 in Trip Reports)

V Australia LAX-SYD 8May10 In Y With Pics (by The777Man May 19 2010 in Trip Reports)

AI 77L JFK-BOM With Pics (by The777Man Nov 14 2007 in Trip Reports)

Turkish 77W LAX-IST 5 Mar11 Ain Y With Pics (by The777Man Mar 21 2011 in Trip Reports)

Air Austral 777 Reunion - Paris With Pics (by The777Man Jun 14 2007 in Trip Reports)

Garuda Indonesia 77W CGK-NRT In Y (by The777Man Sep 17 2013 in Trip Reports)

Quoting newbief1yer (Reply 41):
Blimey, i have some catching up to do.!

I have been flying 777s for almost 20 years now so I have a bit of a head start……

The777Man

roberts87

Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:54 pm

Hello 777Man,

Great report! Definately a carrier and route we don't read about often, so very cool to hear about your experience! Thanks for sharing  

yapple

Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:56 am

Hi Lars

Great report on this very little known carrier! Glad that you've finally managed to log this B777   Great that there isn't much issues with photography on board. I'm *somehow* surprised that there is AVOD, and the legroom looks good.

It's an incredible statistic that you've managed to be on 243 B777 flights. Stunning.

Thanks for taking time and writing a report on such an exotic airline.

yapple

The777Man
Topic Author

Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:48 am

Hi Robert !

Quoting roberts87 (Reply 43):
Great report! Definately a carrier and route we don't read about often, so very cool to hear about your experience! Thanks for sharing  

Thanks ! yes, it's not a common place to visit and not so common to try even for people who just transit like me.

Hi Yapple !

Quoting yapple (Reply 44):
Great report on this very little known carrier! Glad that you've finally managed to log this B777   Great that there isn't much issues with photography on board. I'm *somehow* surprised that there is AVOD, and the legroom looks good.

The IFE was not activated and not sure when/if it will be. No problem with taking pictures on the plane but I was discreet and just used my phone.

Quoting yapple (Reply 44):
It's an incredible statistic that you've managed to be on 243 B777 flights. Stunning.

Thanks ! I think 50 different 777 carriers is more impressive than 243 flights……I hope to add two more before the end of the year.  

Thanks for taking time and writing a report on such an exotic airline.

You're welcome! It was an interesting experience not just the flight and transit but the whole process of trying to get a ticket as well.

Thanks again!

The777Man

akhmad

Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:07 am

Hello Lars,

So glad to see that you made it! Even though the Turkmenistan Airlines' online booking was practically non-existent, but perserverance paid! That makes you one and only The777Man!   

Since everybody rushed onboard at the same time, boarding was very fast ☺

LOL! I assume Turkmenistan doesn't have free-seating policy.  

Dinner was served about 45 minutes after departure; beef with couscous, youghurt salad, apple cake, a chocolate bar and a piece of bread.

It looks tasty, I must say.

the crew came around with tea and soft drinks again.

Is Turkmenistan a dry airline?

deplaned thru stairs.

Great to know that Asgabat is spotter friendly as well.

I also read about the downing of MH 17

So shocking and heartbreaking! May the victims rest in peace.   

Thank you for the enjoyable read. I assume booking 777 flights with China Airlines and China Eastern will be a lot easier.  

Suryo  

[Edited 2014-10-10 02:11:06]
There is no deity except You. Exalted are You. Indeed, I have been of the wrongdoers.

The777Man
Topic Author

Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:03 am

Hi Suryo !

Quoting akhmad (Reply 46):
So glad to see that you made it! Even though the Turkmenistan Airlines' online booking was practically non-existent, but perserverance paid! That makes you one and only The777Man!  

I'm very happy that it worked out on my second try. Two days after I arrived I had surgery so perfect timing.

LOL! I assume Turkmenistan doesn't have free-seating policy.

No free seating……

Is Turkmenistan a dry airline?

That's a good question; I don't think so but I didn't see any beer or wine on the drink cart.

So shocking and heartbreaking! May the victims rest in peace.  

Very sad and also MH 370 just a few months earlier.

Thank you for the enjoyable read. I assume booking 777 flights with China Airlines and China Eastern will be a lot easier.  

You're welcome ! Booked both of them already and my flights with both airlines are coming up soon.

Thanks again for your reply!

Some of my other recent reports :

Japan Airlines 777 Tokyo HND - Osaka ITM In Y (by The777Man Oct 21 2013 in Trip Reports)

Asiana Boeing 777 Osaka KIX - Seoul ICN In Y (by The777Man Nov 6 2013 in Trip Reports)

Saudia 77W Los Angeles - Jeddah In Y (by The777Man Jun 8 2014 in Trip Reports)

The777Man

akhmad

Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:22 am

Quoting The777Man (Reply 47):
Two days after I arrived I had surgery so perfect timing.

I hope you are fully recovered by now.

Booked both of them already and my flights with both airlines are coming up soon.

Awesome!

Some of my other recent reports :

Japan Airlines 777 Tokyo HND - Osaka ITM In Y (by The777Man Oct 21 2013 in Trip Reports)

Asiana Boeing 777 Osaka KIX - Seoul ICN In Y (by The777Man Nov 6 2013 in Trip Reports)

Saudia 77W Los Angeles - Jeddah In Y (by The777Man Jun 8 2014 in Trip Reports)

Wow! Thank you for the links.  

Suryo  
There is no deity except You. Exalted are You. Indeed, I have been of the wrongdoers.

PlaneHunter

Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:11 am

Booked both of them already and my flights with both airlines are coming up soon.

I'm really looking forward to these reports!

PH