Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dirktraveller
Topic Author

Pride Of The Nation! GA 77W DPS-CGK In J

Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:23 pm

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k502/dirktraveller/GarudaB77W/cover_77wtripreport_zpse0eb167e.png

Hi everyone!

Don't we all have that flight we have been dreaming to take for a long time?? As an enthusiast, I was more than glad that I finally get the chance to take that flight. For me, that long-awaited flight is my first ride on a Garuda Indonesia B77W. This time, it is on a short two-hours domestic hop between Denpasar-Bali (DPS) and Jakarta (CGK).

The flight was booked through Garuda Indonesia's ticketing office in Jakarta's Senayan City mall, where helpful staff managed to process our booking smoothly, under the promotional airfare they have back then.

Before I proceed with the trip-report, I would like to express deep condolences to the tragedies involving flights MH17, GE222, and AH5037. During this moment of sorrow in aviation, I have decided to replace my usual TR covers with a gray background instead, should some of you be wondering.

Background

Had GA proceed with the B777-200ER we might see something like this... (Photo from Boeing's official website).

Back in 1996, Garuda Indonesia placed an order for 6x B777-200ER (B77E). This order of B77Es was expected to take over long-haul routes served by the DC10 and MD11s. Due to the financial crisis in 1997, Garuda was suffering straight years of losses and was forced to delay expansion plans, including the order for the 6x B777-200ERs. In 2005, it was announced that GA was converting those 77E orders into an order for 10x B787-8 Dreamliner.

Or.. we might see a GA Dreamliner fleet if the B787 was on schedule. (Photo by Joe Perez, aviationdesign.net)

However, as it was obvious the dreamliner was suffering from issues that indicates delay in deliveries, Garuda and Boeing agreed to once again convert the outstanding order into 10xB777-300ER (B77W) in February 2010.

In the meantime, the Quantum Leap turnaround program injects back optimism grows over Garuda's ability to reach its previous glory. In the past, Garuda has served destinations worldwide with a range of widebody fleet including the A300s, MD11s and B747s. It have been the pride of Indonesia, which unfortunately suffered from cost-cuttings and route cutbacks, in addition to the EU safety ban.

However, just like in every underdog story, Garuda exerts every effort to turn the airline back into its former glory. The Quantum Leap have been successful so far, where new-branding image along with improvised in-flight service did not only won back its customers, but also Skytrax awards in 2010 until present.

With the EU ban lifted in 2010, Garuda now has the chance to once again expand its wings across the globe, flying the pride of Indonesia once again to Europe and the US like what it used to be in the better days in 1980-1990s. But those dreams were to wait until July 2, 2013, the day Garuda has its B77W delivered from Boeing.

The B77W allows for non-stop flights to Europe to be resumed, but once again it has to wait due to issues with the runway in Jakarta's Airport. This B77W is that one last piece of the jigsaw which determines whether Garuda can achieve or even surpassed its former glory, bringing back the pride of Indonesia into the skies around the world.

Finally, after a long wait, the pride of Indonesia is ready to take-off. Therefore please join me on this trip aboard Garuda Indonesia's B77W between DPS and CGK.

Check-in and Lounge Experience

FLIGHT DETAILS

Garuda Indonesia, GA421
Denpasar Bali (DPS) - Jakarta (CGK)
Boeing B777-3U3(ER), PK-GID
Delivered to GA on 03/10/2013, msn 29146

ETD : 2105 (Actual around 2123)
ETA : 2200 (Actual around 2140)
Seat Number 11K

Time in DPS is GMT+8 while CGK is GMT+7

It was the end of our summer break. Our GA B77W journey began on the New DPS terminal, as my family and I had just arrived from another flight, and reported to GA Premium Check-in area three hours ahead of the flight.

The staff was really courteous and helpful in processing our boarding pass (and lounge invitation). I enquired her about the F class seats which was not sold on this short sector. Unfortunately, she told me that the seats were indeed blocked and J class passengers were unable to be allocated seats on that section.

Rest assured you would not need to worry about your bags as a staff member picked up our luggage from the trolley and processed them to be loaded on our flight to Jakarta.

Apparently, the domestic J class lounge were allocated just beside, along with direct access from the premium check-in area. Given the distance between the two facilities, it kinda wonders me why do they need the invitation afterall.

Seating area with comfortable couches earlier filled with passengers staring at the TV listening closely to developments of flight MH17 tragedy.

There are proper dining table and chairs to those of you who would like to enjoy dinner instead. That includes me, of course.

Starving me checking out the buffet spread... any guesses what's inside anyone? Surely one of them must be rice haha.

Main courses include Ayam rica (Spicy chicken) and Pesmol fish.

Or, Pasta and soya-sauced roasted chicken.
There was also a few types of krupuk to be added to my meal. Food wise it fared quite well compared to several other lounges I've visited in Indonesian airports.

Clocks showing times of Jakarta, Denpasar, and London in case you are jet-lagged. Also a closer look at the FIDS on the lounge. According to the FIDS our flight GA421 would be leaving from Gate 19. Did you know that 12 years earlier there was a background heroic story on this same flight number?

How about some lighter bites anyone? There are variety of cakes to complete your appetite for dessert!

Self service hot beverages (coffee/tea/hot chocolate) counter.

Despite not being a dry airline, no alcoholic beverages served on Garuda domestic flight (and their lounges too). But, there are apple, guava, and orange juices available.

Mini pastries section which I'd imagine being more crowded in the morning.

There were two computers with internet access and a multi-function fax & printer to those wishing to catch up work in between flights. The lounge also has a free wireless internet which works well enough for me to catch up with some social media and news I have missed after a day's flying.

Reading material which consists mostly of local newspapers in both English and Bahasa Indonesia, few other travel and lifestyle magazines (mostly in Bahasa Indonesia too) and Garuda's inflight magazine "Colours".

Overall impression, the lounge was really well equipped. However there are still some limitations for improvement. This includes the 'temporary' nature of this lounge, which means the lounge is only separated using a temporary partition which means you could still hear most noises within the terminal itself.

Plus, there is no dedicated toilet inside the lounge, therefore those who needs the toilet should make their way out of the lounge into the public toilet outside. The public toilet at DPS new terminal itself were unfortunately needs more work in terms of cleanliness.

After a nice wait on the Garuda DPS lounge, it was time to head to gate 19.

Boarding

On our way to the Boarding gate area from the lounge, we passed through the Check-in area at the new DPS terminal. Huge and spacious, there are check-in desks of most airlines serving domestic flights from DPS, including Lion, Sriwijaya, Garuda, and some other charter companies.

It was a long way using the travellators to reach Gate 19/20.

Our gate was situated at the end of the terminal. Obviously it was more packed with passengers compared to the other flights. Loads in Economy was filled approximately more than 80 percent, while in J class around 16 out of 38 seats (around 40 percent).

After 10 minutes of wait, boarding call was made. There was a dedicated line for Business Class and Gold/Platinum Garudamiles members. Also, as J class passengers our family was driven on this Garuda van to the aircraft.
That only means.. boarding through stairs for everyone yay!!

The short drive brought us in-front of the huge Boeing 777, which was a relieve for me knowing PK-GID operating my flight (instead of some last-minute sub to A330/B738). I have been waiting a long time for this moment!

Look at those mighty GE90 engines. My family was just as excited looking at this gigantic aircraft!

Saying Hello to PK-GID, as we boarded through the stair connected to door L2. Another stair was also connected at the back in door L5 to allow those seated at the back to board the aircraft more conveniently.

"Good evening Sir!, third seat to your right!", the purser welcomed us on the door.
Other FA standing nearby in the galley were also cheerfully greeting us as we made our way to our seats.

Another FA on the turquoise kebaya standing in the J class section then ushered us to the seat, and offerred us welcome drinks.

First glimpse of the J class section aboard GA B77W.

My window seat 11K which looks more than inviting for a short two-hours flight hahaha!

My IFE screen along with the tray table that is stowed neatly just beside.

Had my welcome drink of Orange juice along with the hot towel.

Legroom is spacious enough! And upon sitting on the real product it was not seen as claustrophobic as I might have seen in some other reports or advertisements.

Power up your gadgets in-flight into the USB plug or the adaptor below. It's a must on long-range flights these days.

Pushed back from the parking stand, beside a JQ and VA aircraft. Apologies for the rather blur photo due to condensation on the window.

Safety video played upon taxiing. Remember that this aircraft has 5 doors on each side!

Take off was at around 2130hrs, and followed by a climb towards the west of Indonesia, away from DPS.

Goodbye Bali! See you again someday!

In-flight

On the side of our seat, there's the seat controls (which includes a back-massage function), the IFE controls, and a compartment where the noise-cancelling headphone was stowed.

In-flight Entertainment Features on GA B77W

As soon as seatbelt signs were switched off, the IFE was activated in full swing.

Selamat Datang (Welcome) to Garuda Indonesia's IFE system.

The IFE instructions can be delivered in either Bahasa Indonesia or English. You also have the luxury to choose the background colour of the IFE option screen.

Entertainment features on this GA 77W IFE system. Moving map and other crucial information regarding the flight could be opened by clicking the "information" button on the bottom left of the screen.

The range of movies offered on this IFE system are of wider range of content compared to those on A330/B738. The system also responds faster than its B738/A330 counterparts.

The live TV does catch my attention however it does not seem to be working on this flight. Hopefully it does work on longer flights!

So, I return to my favorite feature on every IFE system, the moving map! We were flying above Surabaya at this moment!

The J class cabin with the mood-lighting on display.

Now, the J class cabin without the mood lighting, as the cabin crews busy preparing the meal service.

My parents enjoying the B77W service, as the FA asking for meal preference, with the eye-level communication approach exercised (like in those airline ads). Been a long time since I've seen service delivered like that, even in F/J classes.. well done Garuda  .

Meal service

There were no menu offerred on this flight. However, the warm and friendly FA asked each passenger of their meal preference. An option of Fried rice with chicken, Fish and fried noodles, and beef pasta were the main course offered that night.

Anyone of you guessed I picked the fried rice?! You're right!
The tray also contained a bowl of salad, a warm red-bean dessert, and warm bread rolls. During the Ramadan period, Arabic dates were also placed on the meal tray.

Closer look at my fried rice meal. It was one of the best fried rice meals I had in-flight. The chicken was cooked perfectly, while presentation wise it was okay. Overall it looks like a good job done on this meal.

Throughout the meal service, the FA was going around with water bottle ready to refill any empty glass of water.
After each meal was cleared, a hot beverage service consisting of coffee or tea was offfered.

Seat Features

Garuda Indonesia Business Class on the B77W consists of 38 staggerred seats, arranged 1-2-1. Each seat has 73" pitch with a 15" IFE screen. The seating concept is similar to those found on TG A380 and EY J class seats.

Either you can have a window seat like mine, or an aisle seat with the shelf separating your seat or the window.

Or else you can sit together, with the shelf facing the aisle. Btw the car-like seat-belts were cool!

My seat on relax mode...

For each passenger's sleeping convenience, every J class seat on the B77W may turn a 180-degrees flat bed.

Another view of the seat in 'bed' mode. But I do wonder how passengers be able to sleep and use the seatbelts at the same time?

We were halfway to Jakarta! Oh man, this flight passed so quickly!

There were two lavatory allocated for J class passengers, right beside the galley on the R2/L2 door. It was spacious and had a nicely wooden texture floor.

But amenity wise, it seems that it is quite empty for a J class toilet. Anyways, let's hope that this is not the same story when it comes to long-haul flights.

Had a quick snap on the Economy class section. There are 268 Economy seats in total, each feature a 32" seat pitch and a 9" IFE screen. The seats are arranged 3-3-3.

Do check a TR on GA 77W in Y, by fellow member The777Man:
Garuda Indonesia 77W CGK-NRT In Y (by The777Man Sep 17 2013 in Trip Reports)

Preparations for landing began as we were 15 minutes away from arrival in CGK.

Landing into Jakarta

The Captain coming on the PA announcing we were on descent, followed by the FAs doing pre-landing checks ensuring everyone is ready for our arrival into Jakarta.

The wingflex of our B77W as we descended into the calm evening at CGK.

Cabin lights were slowly dimmed for landing. As lights were dimmed, there were the "stars" featured on the ceiling of our aircraft, similar to what I found on my EK B77W flight.

Touched down at the runway in CGK around 2145hrs local time. It took a short taxi passing other GA and KU aircraft parked before arriving at our parking stand.

See you again someday 11K! Too bad I only had less than two hours with you hehe.

Earlier on, I asked one of the FAs whether I could visit the flight deck after arrival in CGK. The FA told me to wait after our arrival in Jakarta as he need to confirm with the Captain.

Now that we had arrived, he told me to further wait as the pilots have not yet given any permission yet. But for the meantime, I was more than welcome to wait at the First Class section, which was right behind the cockpit. During our wait, I had a nice conversation with the FA and the purser.

First Class on GA B77W

There are 8 First Class suites on each Garuda Indonesia B77W. Each seat features a 82" pitch and 22" width. Arranged in a 1-2-1 manner, the F class seat can turn into flat-bed seats padded with mattress. This is the first time Garuda offering First Class product after a 18-years hiatus

Those curious with their F class service, do check a TR on GA F by fellow member GASQKL:
The First Class Experience With Garuda Indonesia (by GASQKL Sep 11 2013 in Trip Reports)

Comfortable GA first class seats in the middle section of the aircraft, preferrable if you're traveling with a partner.
Each seats also features a mini-wardrobe to store your coats/shoes.

If you're traveling solo on GA F class, window seats should suit you better!

Each F class seat has a 22" IFE screen, and seat control using a touch-screen function.

1-2-1 seats on GA F class. There are overhead compartments on the middle section of the F class cabin, while none of them installed on each sides of the window.

To conclude my short F class tour, the FA offered to take a few picture of mine on the F class seat, which I gladly accept. I thank him before finally the purser arrived with a good news that the Captain now invites me to the flight deck.

Cockpit visit

Despite being occupied with some post-arrival activities to complete, the Captain warmly welcomed me onto his workspace. We had a short and nice conversation throughout. It appears that the same crew flew PK-GID as GA412 CGK-DPS earlier, and returning as our flight that night. Now I wondered where those two deadheading pilots who sat on J class seats behind my parents came from?

The flight deck of our B77W with all display lights on.

The F/O side of the controls, taken after the F/O left his seat.

Before it was time for me to leave, one of the FA who were also standing behind the cockpit offerred me to have my picture taken in the flight deck, again I gladly accepted his offer!

Well it was time now to end this wonderful trip aboard Garuda's B77W. I thank the FAs who brought me into an F class tour earlier, along with both pilots who had been accomodating to my request, before I left the aircraft through door L1.

Upon entering the terminal building, a ground staff ushered us into a door outside, where a bus had been waiting for us. This is a normal procedure in CGK where sometimes aircraft (usually widebodies) were parked at International side of ther terminal for its next flight, which means domestic passengers need to be bussed towards the domestic arrival side.

Thanks for the ride, PK-GID!!

One last picture of our aircraft, before I stepped inside the bus bound for Domestic Terminal.

Back into CGK Domestic Terminal side where major renovation works are ongoing.

Remember I told you baggages in CGK can take long to appear? Do wait on GA Premium luggage collection area, where staff members would assist you on re-collecting your luggage while you can wait inside this 'lounge'.

Seating area in this mini lounge at the baggage claim area.

Light snacks and drinks are on offer as you wait for your luggage. Thankfully my luggage had been collected and I can proceed outside in no time, since I take my time to disembark with all the flight deck and F class visit.

Making my way out to the arrival hall through the baggage claim area. My family was picked up by car and we headed for downtown Jakarta in less than 45 minutes, thanks to the smooth traffic condition at late night. That concludes the GA J class experience on the B77W that I have been waiting for a loooongg timee...  .

Final thoughts of the flight

I have been waiting for quite some time to seize the opportunity to fly on this GA B77W flight. As much as one would say, it better worth the wait!! So does it? Let's see...

The new J class seats on the GA B77W was definitely an advancement over the products on the A332/A333. The all aisle access was a nice feature, especially to those who like window seats like all of us here! The flat-bed seats should provide a good rest on long-haul flights, although some might argue that those seats in the A332 are wider.
Another impressive feature was the IFE on the B77W, which I feel had more variety of content compared to the A330/B738, and more responsive as well! The meals were well done, simply said.

But what make my first ever GA B77W experience to be very close to perfect was its crew. They were truly in their highest of spirit working on this flight, delivering in-flight service by the book, while keeping warmth and friendliness on every interaction with the passengers. It looks like someone may be as good as their Skytrax awards for "World's Best Cabin Staff" this year. Hopefully such high-spirit and enthusiasm can be consistently maintained. I would like to thank all the crew working on my flight for such a great flight!

In-flight experience wise, the B77W opens more possibility for GA to expand and be more competitive at same time. Definitely airlines in the region will be having a new tough competitor!

That being said, there are still areas to be improved, especially on the 'temporary' lounge on DPS airport. They urgently need a proper lounge with its own toilet and a proper wall to separate them from the terminal. The new DPS airport itself was supposed to be new-and-shining but some signs of wear have started showing at the same time! The airport management should closely look on how this airport is being maintained.

On the other hand, my parents and brother are equally excited with the B77W experience, which they were impressed with the seats compared to the maroon angled-flat seat A332 and recliner on the B738 (obviously!).

I certainly hope GA can maintain consistency on their level of service, and from what I have observed that day, the B77W is indeed the pride of the nation. As the flagship of GA It does not just allow Garuda to go a step closer, but even further from what its former glory might have achieved!

So, back to the main question... do you think the flight experience worth the wait?? Personally I would say it is..

Thanks a lot for reading, everyone!
Do leave a reply if you have any thoughts or questions.

Regards,
Dirktraveller

regaviation

RE: Pride Of The Nation! GA 77W DPS-CGK In J

Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:42 pm

Hi dirktraveller,
Another great report here.

Quoting dirktraveller (Thread starter):

Don't we all have that flight we have been dreaming to take for a long time??

I certainly do. Mine is LHR-DXB-SYD all on the Emirates A380.

which includes a back-massage function

Sounds nice, that would be good on a longer flight, when you sit for hours on end!.

You also have the luxury to choose the background colour of the IFE option scree

Finally!

So, I return to my favorite feature on every IFE system, the moving map!

I think that's every aviation enthusiasts favorite channel.  
If you're traveling solo on GA F class, window seats should suit you better

WOW! 3 windows and a massive TV! That is awesome!

Great pictures here again, finally you got to fulfill your lifelong dream to fly on this GA 77W!

Regaviation
Aviation is proof, when given the will, we can achieve the impossible.

dirktraveller
Topic Author

Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:49 pm

Hi Regaviation,

Thanks very much for reading and dropping by!

Quoting regaviation (Reply 1):
I certainly do. Mine is LHR-DXB-SYD all on the Emirates A380.

Wow! That looks great as well! I've never flown on an Emirates A380 yet!  .

Sounds nice, that would be good on a longer flight, when you sit for hours on end!.

Indeed! Too bad I only had less than 2 hours to enjoy it hahaha! But surely it would be good for those traveling long haul.

Finally!

Yeah! Wondered if there's any other airline had that option on their IFE today??

I think that's every aviation enthusiasts favorite channel.

Hahaha can't agree more on this one!! Other than the window itself, of course  .

WOW! 3 windows and a massive TV! That is awesome!

Indeed, sure like the way to fly on a long haul! (Time to save up $$ or miles to upgrade here haha).

Great pictures here again, finally you got to fulfill your lifelong dream to fly on this GA 77W!

I'm glad that you like the pictures! And it's a pleasure to share my experience with you on a flight that felt like a lifetime to wait!  

Best Regards,
Dirktraveller

ba319-131

Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:17 pm

Hi dirktraveller,

Nice read and pictures as usual, good to catch up on your travels.

is my first ride on a Garuda Indonesia B77W. This time, it is on a short two-hours domestic hop between Denpasar-Bali (DPS) and Jakarta (CGK).

- Is this usual or just a sub?

Despite not being a dry airline, no alcoholic beverages served on Garuda domestic flight (and their lounges too).

- Thanks, interesting to know.

Plus, there is no dedicated toilet inside the lounge, therefore those who needs the toilet should make their way out of the lounge into the public toilet outside. The public toilet at DPS new terminal itself were unfortunately needs more work in terms of cleanliness.

- Always a poet peeve of mind, no dedicated lounge toilets.

Closer look at my fried rice meal. It was one of the best fried rice meals I had in-flight. The chicken was cooked perfectly, while presentation wise it was okay. Overall it looks like a good job done on this meal.

- Looks very nice!

Before it was time for me to leave, one of the FA who were also standing behind the cockpit offerred me to have my picture taken in the flight deck, again I gladly accepted his offer!

- Nice touch!

Cheers

Mark
111 732 733 734 735 736 73G 738 739,7M8 BBJ 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 764 772 77L 773 77W L15 D10 D30 D40 AB3 AB6 312 313 318 319 320 20N 321 21N 332 333 342 343 345 346 359 351 388 CS1 CS3 I86 154 SSJ CRJ CR7 CR9 CRK 145 170 175 220

regaviation

Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:49 pm

Wow! That looks great as well! I've never flown on an Emirates A380 yet!

Whoops,didn't mean it like that ! I would love to do that route on the 380, but haven't yet   - I have on their 777 though, it was still great!

Regaviation
Aviation is proof, when given the will, we can achieve the impossible.

The777Man

Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:47 am

Hi Dirktraveller !

Thanks for a very nice report with very nice pictures !

Great to see you try out Garuda's new 77W which is an amazing aircraft with their amazing service, it's a fantastic experience!

Our GA B77W journey began on the New DPS terminal,

The new terminal looks a bit empty and unfinished. I was there in 1999 and really liked that local style terminal. Too bad it was replaced but probably too small now.

Legroom is spacious enough! And upon sitting on the real product it was not seen as claustrophobic as I might have seen in some other reports or advertisements

Looks very nice and comfortable!

My parents enjoying the B77W service, as the FA asking for meal preference, with the eye-level communication approach exercised (like in those airline ads). Been a long time since I've seen service delivered like that, even in F/J classes.. well done Garuda  .

Very impressive again!! Meal looks great !

Thanks again for a fantastic report on a fantastic airline with amazing service! I'm glad you were able to experience that.

Thanks also for the link to my report !

The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

Coal

Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:19 am

Hey Dirk, great report, thanks for sharing! I last flew this sector on QZ a few years back.

The new terminal at DPS looks great. I was there back in April, and although for the most part I found it to be a huge step up from the old terminal, I also found the gate areas to get very crowded, especially on any flight operated with a 77W (e.g. KL, QR, GA). Otherwise, it's great to see the change. Too bad at immigration the lines are as long (or longer!) than usual!

I think GA is doing really well and I commend them for being creative, especially on having an arrivals lounge while you wait for your baggage to come out on the belt. I think this shows that they're doing the most they can given the constraints they have at the dreadful CGK.

Cheers
Coal
Nxt Flts: SQ SIN-KIX | HD UKB-CTS | NH CTS-NRT | SQ NRT-SIN | AK SIN-DPS-SIN

asetiadi

Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:14 am

Hi Dirktraveller!

You were passing my town again! This time over the air haha!

Note:
On your Fifth Picture (DPS lounge photo), front right, I always seat on that first table! hahaha.....

Wow u got a chance to ride 77W from DPS to CGK, how lucky you are! You seems always ended up getting on newer plane haha... I fly to DPS from SUB regularly once a week for work.

Just out of curiosity, do they sell F class from DPS - CGK sector? I knew back then when they introduced the 777, people flying business class got a chance for free first class upgrade for DPS-CGK-DPS sector. My parents' last night flight from SUB - DPS sector was a surprise flight also.... they ended up with A330-200 for 35 mins flight lol and fully loaded.

How's the seat comfort on GA 777? Was it as near comfort as CX? They are pretty similar!

Anyway nice trip report! I'm flying to CGK next week on August 1st... pray for a newer A330 =D

Carfield

Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:44 am

Wow I am really impressed with Garuda Indonesia. It has definitely gone through a major transformation.

The meal looks delicious and the new J seats on its 77Ws are superb.

Thanks for sharing!
Carfield

dirktraveller
Topic Author

Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:34 am

Hi Regaviation,

Quoting regaviation (Reply 4):
I would love to do that route on the 380, but haven't yet - I have on their 777 though, it was still great!

Ah I see... Same here, I've been on EK 77Ws but have not tried their A380 yet. Hopefully we will get our chance to fly on the EK A380 someday!!  .

Hi 777Man,

Quoting The777Man (Reply 5):
Great to see you try out Garuda's new 77W which is an amazing aircraft with their amazing service, it's a fantastic experience!

Glad to be able to share my experience here! It was a fantastic one indeed!  .

The new terminal looks a bit empty and unfinished. I was there in 1999 and really liked that local style terminal. Too bad it was replaced but probably too small now.

I have to agree with you on the empty and unfinished part of the terminal. They could have done better with it. That local style terminal you mentioned was indeed been totally overcrowded the last time I been there in 2010. Can't even find a single spot to sit (or even stand) in peak times like Christmas, the new terminal was urgently needed back then.

Looks very nice and comfortable!

Good that you agree. Thinking of spending a long haul next time on this seat.. but probably that gotta wait.. haha!

Very impressive again!! Meal looks great !

Indeed, meal looks great. And the crew performed amazingly on that day!

Thanks again for a fantastic report on a fantastic airline with amazing service! I'm glad you were able to experience that.

Yep, it has been a long wait but I am glad to finally have the chance to fly on GA's latest flagship. Thanks very much for reading the report!

Thanks also for the link to my report !

You're welcome!  .

Hi Coal

Quoting Coal (Reply 6):
Hey Dirk, great report, thanks for sharing! I last flew this sector on QZ a few years back.

Thanks very much for reading the report!

Quoting Coal (Reply 6):
The new terminal at DPS looks great. I was there back in April, and although for the most part I found it to be a huge step up from the old terminal

It was indeed a huge step from the old terminal, although some parts seemed to have left unfinished. But certainly the old terminal could no longer sustain growth in DPS comfortably.

Quoting Coal (Reply 6):
gate areas to get very crowded, especially on any flight operated with a 77W (e.g. KL, QR, GA).

Yeah, wondered why the boarding gates remained at "smaller" size though. But upon talking to some ground staff the airport is actually yet to open the 2nd level with all the aerobridges, which is supposedly intended to be their 'departures' area. I'd imagine there will be larger gates when those upper level are completed!

Quoting Coal (Reply 6):
Too bad at immigration the lines are as long (or longer!) than usual!

Oh yes, in terms of immigration, yes the foreign visitors line were crazy! Even with all 8 counters operating it seems powerless to minimize the queueing time out there! But if you are an Indonesian citizen or resident (with the KITAS card) DPS might be the place for you to disembark. There is only a single counter dedicated for you, but there's virtually no queue at all, compared to CGK/SUB which residents line can take years to clear.

Quoting Coal (Reply 6):
I think GA is doing really well and I commend them for being creative

Haha! I agree, in terms of creativity, GA should get all the thumbs up! The immigration on board, welcome drinks in Y (I think now have been discontinued), and now this 'arrivals lounge'. Now looking forward to more innovation from them!

Quoting Coal (Reply 6):
I think this shows that they're doing the most they can given the constraints they have at the dreadful CGK.

Can't agree more on this one! Yeah, I guess GA have done the best it could on its part. Now hopefully the airport management in CGK would step up their effort to further improve passenger ground experience.

Hi Asetiadi,

Quoting asetiadi (Reply 7):
You were passing my town again! This time over the air haha!

Hahaha yeah! Should have said 'hi!' from the skies lol :P.

On your Fifth Picture (DPS lounge photo), front right, I always seat on that first table! hahaha.....

Haha nice! Any special reason on why that corner is the best spot to sit?

Wow u got a chance to ride 77W from DPS to CGK, how lucky you are! You seems always ended up getting on newer plane haha..

Hahaha thanks! Indeed been waiting on this one for quite some time. Luckily the 77W remains on schedule to CGK. Well, not always.. actually. I've just stepped from PK-GPG that time with not-so-responsive IFE and PK-GPN again (for 2nd time).

Just out of curiosity, do they sell F class from DPS - CGK sector? I knew back then when they introduced the 777, people flying business class got a chance for free first class upgrade for DPS-CGK-DPS sector.

No they don't sell F class on DPS-CGK sector. I was asking those possibilities for a seat (or upgrade) to F class upon checking in, which unfortunately had a "no" being answered (they claimed that F class was blocked on this sector).

How's the seat comfort on GA 777? Was it as near comfort as CX? They are pretty similar!

That's a good question! I find the seat comfort on GA 77W to be totally adequate for a long-haul sector. It can turn into a fully flat bed and it has that 'back massage' function haha! But I'm not very sure how it would fare compared to CX new J, as it has been actually almost 10 years since I last flew on CX, sorry!

Anyway nice trip report! I'm flying to CGK next week on August 1st... pray for a newer A330

Good to hear that! Hope you will get a newer A330 this time round!  .

Hi Carfield,

Quoting Carfield (Reply 8):
Wow I am really impressed with Garuda Indonesia. It has definitely gone through a major transformation. The meal looks delicious and the new J seats on its 77Ws are superb.

Thanks a lot for reading! Garuda has indeed going through a major transformation, in such a short time! I agree that both the meal and new seats on the B77W is just totally superb!

Thanks for dropping by guys!

Best Regards,
Dirktraveller

GASQKL

Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:31 am

HI Dirktraveller,

What a wonderful report on a domestic run! Garuda has indeed done a great job. For a flight that is slightly less than 2 hours, the meal looks very wonderful. From what you reported, it seemed GA actually had 3 choices for the meal for that flight.

As for the Live TV, I believe it is not activated for the domestic run. During the World Cup, GA actually streamed live games on the TV for its international flights. Amenity in the toilet also will be stocked differently with different brand on an international flights.

Last but not least, I am continuously impressed with the quality of the crew that GA has and I agree with you that they truly deserve "The Best Cabin Crew" award this year despite most of us here (including me) do not take Skytrax seriously.

Since I don't live in Indonesia, it has been a while since I did domestic run with Garuda. Having read your report, I am now looking forward to my short domestic run from CGK to JOG within the next 2 weeks.

roberts87

Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:53 am

Hello Dirk,

Excellent report! The GA 77W sure looks great, saw here at AMS the other day. Very nice to experience on the domestic flight to Bali. Thanks for sharing!

mendousjeff

Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:29 pm

Hi dirktraveller,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful trip!

IMO the orange mood lighting makes the cabin looks too warm, I would love to see them using purple/blue moodlighting instead. Otherwise, the seat indeed looks inviting, the crew looks amazing (especially to see how they maintain those eye-level conversations), and the meal looks fantastic. Was there an inflight chef on duty on this short domestic flight?

Now that I've read your trip report, I am dreaming of flying GA 77W in J too!

Regards
Jeff

dirktraveller
Topic Author

Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:10 pm

Hi Mark,

Quoting ba319-131 (Reply 3):
Nice read and pictures as usual, good to catch up on your travels.

Thanks very much for your reply! Sorry I thought I had replied you earlier!  .

- Is this usual or just a sub?

It is not a sub, the B77W is scheduled to operate the daily GA412/421 flights between CGK-DPS.

- Thanks, interesting to know.

No problem!  .

- Always a poet peeve of mind, no dedicated lounge toilets.

Yeah! Absence of dedicated toilets may not be a serious issue to some, but it is kinda ironic where one of supposedly Garuda's flagship lounges does not equipped with one, while even each of non-airline lounges in CGK seemed to have toilets inside their facility.

- Looks very nice!

Can't agree more! The meal was good in both appearance and taste!

- Nice touch!

Indeed, who wouldn't reject such initiatives  .

Hi GASQKL,

Quoting GASQKL (Reply 10):
What a wonderful report on a domestic run! Garuda has indeed done a great job.

Thanks for taking the time to read my report! Again, Garuda didn't fail to impress on this short hop.

For a flight that is slightly less than 2 hours, the meal looks very wonderful. From what you reported, it seemed GA actually had 3 choices for the meal for that flight.

Yeah, the meal seemed to have been well prepared this time round! Indeed there were three choices of meals that night, although I believe it only applies in J, while Y class should still have two options on this short route.

During the World Cup, GA actually streamed live games on the TV for its international flights. Amenity in the toilet also will be stocked differently with different brand on an international flights.

Good to hear those service being available on longer flights. I'd guess those things are at lesser importance on short hops like this one, but surely we would love those live TV and wide-range amenities ready on longer flights.

I agree with you that they truly deserve "The Best Cabin Crew" award this year despite most of us here (including me) do not take Skytrax seriously.

I need to agree that we all don't really take Skytrax ratings as it is, but certainly it is great to see Garuda working really hard to achieve this year's award!

Having read your report, I am now looking forward to my short domestic run from CGK to JOG within the next 2 weeks.

Nice! Hope you will enjoy your flight to JOG on GA. Would be interested to hear your experience later  .

Hi Roberts87,

Quoting roberts87 (Reply 11):

Excellent report! The GA 77W sure looks great, saw here at AMS the other day. Very nice to experience on the domestic flight to Bali. Thanks for sharing!

Nice to hear from you. Thanks very much for checking my report!

GA B77W is indeed a great flagship as expected. Glad to say that my experience on the short domestic flight goes beyond my expectation indeed. It's a pleasure to share this report!  .

Hello Jeff,

Quoting mendousjeff (Reply 12):
Thank you for sharing your wonderful trip!

It's been a pleasure sharing my experience here. Thanks also for checking this report!

IMO the orange mood lighting makes the cabin looks too warm, I would love to see them using purple/blue moodlighting instead.

I agree with you that I would prefer blue/purple moodlighting instead of orange. Too bad orange was the only colour being used on the flight that evening..

Otherwise, the seat indeed looks inviting, the crew looks amazing (especially to see how they maintain those eye-level conversations)

Indeed, I would love to spend more time on those seats, maybe one day! The crew did an amazing job that night, especially that eye-level conversations which was a really nice touch, that is getting rare these days!

Was there an inflight chef on duty on this short domestic flight?

Unfortunately there wasn't any inflight chef assigned on this short domestic hop. That being said, the meals were still of great quality.

Now that I've read your trip report, I am dreaming of flying GA 77W in J too!

Thanks! You should get on those GA 77W someday, try it on longer flights if possible  .

Appreciated your replies, everyone. Thank you!

Best Regards,
Dirktraveller

Knightsofmalta

Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:02 pm

Hi Dirktraveller

Thanks for the interesting report. The new Garuda really is something else. So far I've only read good things about them. Looks like I might have to give them a try myself some day.

You were also very fortunate to be able to board the mighty triple seven via stairs, instead of through the airbridge. Boarding via staris makes flying so much more special I find, simply because it gives you a chance to see from outside the aircraft you'll be on. Kind of makes you appreciate the dimensions of the bird.

So is the 777 normally used on this short sector or was this an exception?

Cheers,
William

pokfur

Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:47 am

Hi Dirktraveller!

I'm starting to really like the things I hear about Garuda, especially from you (does that mean that the view might be biased?? Hahaha) Unfortunately it seems difficult to get a logical flight route on them. Not to mention, they don't seem to come in low enough on their fares to justify flying them, from Singapore, at least. Australia/NZ seems to be the only destinations that make sense, but even then, not sure if I've seen connecting flights from Singapore.

Thanks for this report. Very heartening to see all the improvements made to the airports and airline in Indonesia. Having just come back from Medan, I also have good things to say about the KNO airport!

Cheers!

pokfur

dirktraveller
Topic Author

Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:34 am

Hi William

Quoting Knightsofmalta (Reply 14):
new Garuda really is something else. So far I've only read good things about them. Looks like I might have to give them a try myself some day.

Great to hear from you! It's been a pleasure sharing this report and thanks for reading! The new Garuda is indeed a truly different airline than what it was 10 years ago, and you should give them a try someday. Especially that they already have Amsterdam online with this mighty 77W, and a fifth freedom between LGW-AMS to come September this year.

Boarding via staris makes flying so much more special I find, simply because it gives you a chance to see from outside the aircraft you'll be on. Kind of makes you appreciate the dimensions of the bird.

I can't agree more on this one! Gotta thank the fact that the new DPS still had some of the aerobridges uncompleted yet, hence the boarding through stairs procedure.

So is the 777 normally used on this short sector or was this an exception?

The 77W is scheduled on this short sector, at least throughout this year's Northern Summer schedule!

Hellooooo pokfurrr,

Quoting pokfur (Reply 15):
'm starting to really like the things I hear about Garuda, especially from you (does that mean that the view might be biased?? Hahaha)

Nice to hear from you! Glad that this report give you a better perspective on garuda. But whattt... are you trying to say I'm biased???!! hahahahahaha      
It just happen that I leave with a good impression after most of my flights with them, you know...  .

Unfortunately it seems difficult to get a logical flight route on them.

Well, if you are trying to book ex-SIN you might try your luck visiting garudaindonesia.com.sg instead, usually they had better fares from Singapore, although mostly it is for the CGK/SUB/DPS flights.

Having just come back from Medan, I also have good things to say about the KNO airport

I've never been to KNO myself but it is great to hear that you had good impressions of them!

Thanks for dropping by, guys!

Best Regards,
Dirktraveller

GASQKL

Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:55 pm

Unfortunately it seems difficult to get a logical flight route on them. Not to mention, they don't seem to come in low enough on their fares to justify flying them, from Singapore, at least.

Try SIN - HKG via CGK rt. The J fare is quite good and very similar to SQ but you will get to enjoy the new Garuda Indonesia experience.

sultanils

Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:44 pm

dirktraveller,

Amazing stuff dirktraveller, that plane looks mighty fine! Once again you presented a perfect covering of all the happenings on this flight, which obviously was a special one for you. I’m glad you enjoyed it so much, you certainly flew in great style and I do wish GA the best in the future, they certainly have what it takes to be competitive with this plane.

Quote:
Before I proceed with the trip-report, I would like to express deep condolences to the tragedies involving flights MH17, GE222, and AH5037. During this moment of sorrow in aviation, I have decided to replace my usual TR covers with a gray background instead, should some of you be wondering.
Quote:
Unfortunately, she told me that the seats were indeed blocked and J class passengers were unable to be allocated seats on that section.

Sad, truly sad, is the only thing that comes to mind. Nice of you to commerate the tragic events that happened this way. May all those involved rest in peace.

Quote:
The public toilet at DPS new terminal itself were unfortunately needs more work in terms of cleanliness.

As with most toilets in airport buildings nowadays.

Quote:
77W service, as the FA asking for meal preference, with the eye-level communication approach

That’s very nice and personal although I think a very demanding task for the crew to bend down each time.

Quote:
The seats are arranged 3-3-3

Good to see the non-claustrophobic variant of the seating arrangement here!

Quote:
Do wait on GA Premium luggage collection area, where staff members would assist you on re-collecting your luggage while you can wait inside this 'lounge'.

A nice appointed area and a good initiative.

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

dirktraveller
Topic Author

Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:55 pm

Hi Sultanils,

Quoting Sultanils (Reply 18):
Amazing stuff dirktraveller, that plane looks mighty fine! Once again you presented a perfect covering of all the happenings on this flight, which obviously was a special one for you

Great to hear from you! The mighty 77W looks incredible indeed and it was a pleasure to share this special experience indeed.

I’m glad you enjoyed it so much, you certainly flew in great style

Thanks to a combination of good promotional fares and points, I am pleased to log this rare opportunity to fly 'in-style' this time round and seems like the experience certainly worth it!  .

I do wish GA the best in the future, they certainly have what it takes to be competitive with this plane.

Indeed, I certainly also hopes for the same thing with GA. Now that they seem to have put all the right ingredients for improvement, let's hope that they could maintain what they have achieved so far.

Sad, truly sad, is the only thing that comes to mind. Nice of you to commerate the tragic events that happened this way. May all those involved rest in peace.

Thanks! I guess that's the least I could do in the sad week for aviation and those affected by the tragedies.

As with most toilets in airport buildings nowadays.

I would agree on that one haha. But certainly it was extraordinary to reach that standard considering this is a brand-new airport.

That’s very nice and personal although I think a very demanding task for the crew to bend down each time.

You got a point there! Thankfully the load was not even half that night, hence it is slightly less demanding for them to deliver that nice-and-personal service.  .

Good to see the non-claustrophobic variant of the seating arrangement here!

Yep! I guess as an airline who got an award for its Y class last year, the 3-3-3 arrangement should the way it is, thankfully!

A nice appointed area and a good initiative.

Indeed! It was good to see GA coming up with ideas to overcome limitations in CGK airport, for the time being..

Thanks for dropping by!  .

Regards,
Dirktraveller

PlaneHunter

Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:23 pm

Hi Dirktraveller,

stunning report about the ride on GA's new flagship! What a great interior GA chose for the 77W - and the catering lookks great, too. Excellent idea to try that bird on that route. I'm interested in flying AMS-LGW which is set to start in September. Hopefully plans won't change.

Back in 1996, Garuda Indonesia placed an order for 6x B777-200ER (B77E). This order of B77Es was expected to take over long-haul routes served by the DC10 and MD11s. Due to the financial crisis in 1997, Garuda was suffering straight years of losses and was forced to delay expansion plans, including the order for the 6x B777-200ERs. In 2005, it was announced that GA was converting those 77E orders into an order for 10x B787-8 Dreamliner.

I was quite disappointed when GA dropped the 77E back then.

Look at those mighty GE90 engines.

They will never cease to impress me.

My parents enjoying the B77W service, as the FA asking for meal preference, with the eye-level communication approach exercised (like in those airline ads).

I have experienced that several times, e.g. on EK, LX and SQ, that does make a difference.

Garuda Indonesia Business Class on the B77W consists of 38 staggerred seats, arranged 1-2-1. Each seat has 73" pitch with a 15" IFE screen. The seating concept is similar to those found on TG A380 and EY J class seats.

Excellent choice - direct aisle access is really important on long-haul flights.

Had a quick snap on the Economy class section. There are 268 Economy seats in total, each feature a 32" seat pitch and a 9" IFE screen. The seats are arranged 3-3-3.

Good to see Garuda chose 3-3-3, well done!

There are 8 First Class suites on each Garuda Indonesia B77W. Each seat features a 82" pitch and 22" width. Arranged in a 1-2-1 manner, the F class seat can turn into flat-bed seats padded with mattress. This is the first time Garuda offering First Class product after a 18-years hiatus

Fantastic product. But I'm skeptical about First Class on GA - can they really make money with it?

PH
Nothing's worse than flying the same reg twice!

dirktraveller
Topic Author

Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:11 pm

Hi Planehunter,

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 20):
stunning report about the ride on GA's new flagship! What a great interior GA chose for the 77W

Thanks for dropping by. Glad that you like the report, and indeed GA seems to have a job well done with the interior.

the catering lookks great, too.

Agree! Catering looks and tastes great too hehehe..

I'm interested in flying AMS-LGW which is set to start in September. Hopefully plans won't change.

That's good to hear. Will be looking forward to see a report of yours on that flight. Hopefully the plans on the AMS-LGW flight isn't affected with their recent news on slowdown in some expansion plans..

I was quite disappointed when GA dropped the 77E back then.

Haha.. what let you down when they dropped the 77E order? But I guess the 77W today looks quite grand as well.

I have experienced that several times, e.g. on EK, LX and SQ, that does make a difference.

Yeah, it's always heartwarming to see when crew members take their effort to communicate in that way. Although my experience on that have been quite rare, even when flying on premium classes.

Excellent choice - direct aisle access is really important on long-haul flights.

Yes, it's good to hear that they are following the trend for a direct-aisle access in J class, which can make a difference in long-haul flights.

Fantastic product. But I'm skeptical about First Class on GA - can they really make money with it?

While the product have consistently received positive reviews, I share your skepticism about whether their F class product can make money. There's not much room for their F class product in the market they are in, if I might say.

Best Regards,
Dirktraveller