Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

sultanils
Topic Author

All About Stobart Air: ANR-SEN-DUB-AMS

Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:18 pm

Greetings fellow aviators,

This report is about the new Flybe, or rather Stobart Air, regional services that have started recently from the new base at London Southend (SEN) airport. For more background info and another good read, I gladly refer to these 2 stories which were published not too long ago on this very website:

Stobart Air/Flybe Inaugural: London Southend -Caen (by countvis Jul 5 2014 in Trip Reports)
Trying Out FlyBE / Stobart Air From Antwerp To SEN (by roberts87 Jul 27 2014 in Trip Reports)

A morning flight from ANR to SEN was booked for € 41 (incl all fees, but without seat selection). To connect the dots for the day, I completed my itinerary with an Aer Lingus Regional aka Aer Arann aka Stobart Air flight from SEN to DUB for € 35 and with an Aer Lingus DUB to AMS flight for € 65. To get home from AMS I decided to take the Thalys high speed train from Amsterdam Schiphol Airport to Antwerp Central Station, a semi flex ticket set me back € 39.

So all set, here’s the map in theory (provided kindly by Great Circle Mapper, copyright Karl L Schwartz):

And in practice as logged by a gps:

Antwerp International Airport

luchthaven is Dutch for airport.

Advertising for the new service. How long will it last? I’m sceptical...

I head into the terminal and check in at the desk. There are still enough window seats available so it’s good that I didn’t shell out € 9 for a prebooked seat. There’s also a CityJet flight for LCY this morning which departs 15 mins ahead of ours.

The FIDS still shows last nights info.

The crew has a night stop here, so the aircraft is already present. it’s EI-REL, one of the ATR72-200’s that are used for the new regional operations.

I’m happy to see the resurrection of VLM airlines!

Then it’s time to board the plane, by seat rows.

Flybe-logo
ANR to SEN
BE6011
ATR72-200 EI-REL
STD-STA 07h15-07h00
Y class
seat 13F

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © MarkStevens

It’s all a relaxed affair. Here’s an UTWYK - an expression you will most likely be familiar with  

She’s quite photogenic in her purple coat.

Operated by who you say?

On board flight #6011

2 male stewards on this service, one is clearly Irish and one is clearly not. The Irish one is at the rear door and welcomes the pax with a soft and genuine good morning    The cabin looks smart, apparently Flybe hasn’t done half a job to retrofit these proppers.

The seats accross mine.

Seat pocket & contents.

The waste bag has been used already it seems  

Safety card.

Roomy!

Yes, the wing is purple.

Looking up.

I estimate the load to be around 60%, the seat next to me is empty.

The CityJet F50 next to us has already vanished in the murky skies.

There’s the usual welcome blah blah, both from the FA’s and from the flightdeck and a special mention that the flight is operated by Stobart Air for Flybe. Not before long we are off.

VLM F50 and Vizion Air F50, the latter taxies out as well.

Building works are ongoing as the busy road just adjacent to the runway is being transformed into a safety perimeter for landing aircraft. As such the road will go underground in the near future.

The take off procedure is LCY style, full power and release brake, woohoo   

Over the river Schelde.

And the mouth of the Westerschelde.

A visit to the loo, handsoap is the only amenity present.

The built-in stairs is just next to the loo.

Cabin overview during the inflight service, BOB of course. I don’t take anything.

Somewhere over the Canal, enroute to the UK southeastern coastline. As you notice, the weather is far from summer 

An occasional hole in the clouds indeed confirms our whereabouts: somewhere over the Canal.

The purplish wing again.

Another look at the opposite seats.

After 20 mins of slow cruise - this is a prop after all - we initiate the descent into Southend International, where the weather is as good as in Antwerp  

The landing is very hard. After a U-turn, we taxi along the runway to the designated stand.

Leaving the lights behind.

SEN apron and some morning action at 7:00am.

We arrive at our parking spot a few minutes ahead of schedule.

There’s a slight delay in deboarding as a ground crew member has to be found to meet the plane. Oh wonder, all pax stay in their seats  Wow! After a 5 minute wait or so, we’re good to go. A Flybe branded choc in a purple wrapping is given upon leaving the plane. No pic sorry, I ate it too fast.

Parked at spot 4.

Bye now to her royal purpleness. At least you can’t blame Flybe for not trying something different with their livery!

Really wonder what this one is doing here? Maintenance?

London Southend Airport

Next is immigration - faultless - and bagage delivery and a short time after stepping off the planes’ stairs I’m outside.

Really handy to have the railway station just opposite the terminal building.

A few more exterior pics, el torro.

Terminal building.

With about 2h to spare, I have a tea from the one and only and tiny café in the arrivals area. SEN offers free wifi, for a 2h period I believe.

The next flight should be EI3301 to Dublin.

Landside departure area.
Checkin for the remainder flights of this day is done online so I go straight to the airside level.

An ad featuring the new regional destinations by Flybe.

1 floor up is security screening.

And again one floor down is the airside departures area, right...

... and left.

Looking back to the security screening. Although I was virutally alone there, it still took me a firm 10 mins to get through as my camera had to be swiped  

I grab a seat and open Flightradar24 to see which plane will come to pick us up. I was hoping for one of the newer ATR72-600’s but alas no, I’m in for another treat. Apparently one of DAT’s colourful ATR42-300’s, OY-CIR has been leased to do the job today. Although I have been on this type and carrier before, it’s still a nice sub and I’m happy to log a new reg as well.

Another ad, showing the plethora of destinations available from this very airport.

Spotting however proves to be a difficult task and besides, there’s not much to see either...

Until suddenly... There is the clown!

Isn’t she a cutie?

A clown or more a Rudolph?

The last passenger hasn’t even come down the stairs and the boarding process is already initiated.

Aer-lingus-Regional
SEN to DUB
EI3301
ATR42-300 OY-CIR
STD-STA 09h20-11h05
Y class
seat 10F

View Large View Medium

Photo © Andreas Loenner

Boarding is neatly done by seat rows and we get to walk outside under the roof to the aircraft, where a closed barrier holds us for 5 more minutes until the    sign is given by the handling folks.

Everything here breathes, reads Stobart which is quite evident since he owns the place!

Now we’re good to go!

Definitely not operated by Stobart Air.

On the ATR, the bags travel upfront.

On board flight #3301

There are 2 women manning this plane, 1 in the Aer Lingus (Regional) uniform and 1 in the DAT uniform. We are welcomed on board for this ‘Aer Lingus Regional flight on behalf of Stobart Air which today is operated by Danish Air Transport’. The captain on the mike is certainly of Scandinavian origin which is evident by his accent.

Grey-beige seats.

A nice logo don’t you think?

Accetable legroom but a lot less than the previous flight.

A DAT safety card...

... Aer Lingus Regional menu and Aer Lingus Cara magazine.

The only round shapes in this cabin are the air nozzles.

We’re a sole plane on the apron now.

It doesn’t take long for everyone to be seated, the flight is not full. Next, the props are fired up and we taxi out.

Entering the runway. We hold a few minutes and then blast off into the clouds.

After 15 mins or so, we soar swiftly above the white.

The trolley is rolled out and I decide to have a ginger ale. This 15 cl can is € 1.

Also here the cabin is well loaded but not full.

Window view while enroute, somewhere over the English countryside.

Leaving the UK behind and entering the Irish Sea.

A sharp right turn and the descent for DUB starts.

First sighting of the Emerald Isle.

Dublin beach  

Flaps 30, time to brake!

Here comes DUB.

We touch down gently and take an early exit. Next up we taxi to a remote parking spot behind T2.

A Cobus is expecting us.

No problem with picture taking here in DUB, I’m out on the apron while the other pax disembark.
Fair Lady is ready to go, she’s an almost albino ATR42-300 of Aer Lingus Regional.

Meanwhile, our ATR is being unloaded.

And some others are loaded, like Colum here.

Or those lovely seven-fivers in the distance.

Dublin International Airport

After a short busride we are let loose in the terminal building.

I follow the signs to flight connections through T2.

Rudolph is parked in the distance awaiting the next assignment.

After another security check, I’m back on the way to T2 departures. The AMS flight looks like OK from gate 412.

DUB’s shopping mall, I’m sure my friend OA260 knows the way here  

T2, I like this terminal.

It seems that everywhere I go nowadays, there’s an EK T7 parked near where my flight is leaving from, this time it’s no different. Impressive machines they are!

History now...

The Shamrock longhaulers look   as well imho.

Another seven-fiver that will fly over the pond soon.

Or what about Ms Rouge?

Planespotting is a job of all ages.

All too soon, the FIDS displays go to gate so the good man I am, I head over and wait for boarding to start.

EI-DVJ will teleport us to AMS this afternoon.

From the other side.

Again, boarding is by row numbers and since my seat is once again window last row, I’m on me way quickly.

DUB to AMS
EI608
Airbus A320 EI-DVJ
STD-STA 13h20-15h55
Y class
seat 29F

View Large View Medium

Photo © Ian Lim

On board flight #608

These Aer Lingus A320 workhorses are well known to me as I flew them a couple of times already. A 1 class config, with dark leather seats, well used.

Boarding in full swing.

So next to us is the EK Boeing. The difference in wing size between our ‘small’ A320 and that ‘massive’ T7 wing is apparent.

Back to my seat now, the legroom is average but the most annoying thing about these seats I find that they’re too straight up, I feel like I’m almost bending fwd iso leaning bkw. Or is it just me  

The overhead panel, it seems a more recent ship of the production line, 1st flight on March 20th 2009.

Also the final flight of this day is not full, and once again, I have all the row to myself. Pushing back now.

On the way to the runway, we meet this nice ATR72-600 of Aer Lingus Regional.

Luxair anyone?

This company Airbus leaves the runway after landing and now it’s our turn to go.

Wheels up!

We’re taking off towards the Irish Sea which gives a good airport overview (if you’re seated on the left side that is).

Climbing out.

Back over Dublin beach 

And then we’re above the clouds.

Now what’s in the seat pocket? As expected: a safety card.

And a menu, which is an extended version of the one on the regional flights.

I have a raspberry/orange muffin from the trolley which sets me back € 3.

One of the 4 female FA’s at work during the service.

It’s a calm flight, here we are somewhere over the UK.

And this is somewhere...

... over here. We’re now cruising at about 822,5 km/h which equals 0,671 Mach  

At some point over the North Sea, the captain advises us of our descent into AMS, which will involve some holding due to visibility issues.

He seems to be right as this is all I see until a few seconds before touching down.

As luck may have it, our plane has a (working) GPS device as well and as such we land flawlessly at Schiphol’s Kaagbaan.

Wheels down!

Ah, the ubiquitous farm is well populated at this time of the day.

It’s the holiday season, so the folks at Transavia will be busy transporting the holiday makers.

The taxi is only short and we park at the very end of the D gates,a designated area for non-Schengen UK and Ireland flights (or so it seems).

We park next to this Air France/CityJet Avro RJ85 which comes from and goes to LCY.

I step out of the plane and make a leisurely stroll towards the exit and train station.

Amsterdam Schiphol Airport

EI-DVJ at the gate.

TIDS.

El Thalys arrives in the station.

After soaring 57 mins through the Dutch fields at + 300 km/h, I arrive at Antwerp Central Station.

A mix of old and new and a nice and difficult piece of engineering, this station.

The last part of my journey is by tram and 3h after disembarking at AMS, I’m back at my doorstep.

Final thoughts

I was happily surprised by the new Flybe service, operated by Stobart Air. In fact, I really have nothing to complain about: the price was good, the plane retrofitted with good comfort for a propliner, ther service on board was friendly and courteous and SEN is a small and convenient airport. If the load on my flight is representative for the other new regional routes as well, then Flybe made a good start and a smart move to start this operation.
Verdict:       

As much as I hoped for a flight on Aer Lingus Regional’s ATR-72-600, I was still very happy with the colourful subbed plane from DAT. Loud and vibrating as hell on the inside though but I knew that already from my previous ride a year and change earlier. For the rest also good service, no more no less.
Verdict:     

And lastly Aer Lingus who provided also this time an ontime and no-frills journey to Amsterdam. There’s not much more to say really...
Verdict:     

Thank you for reading and any comments are appreciated and gladly answered!

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

rogerbcn

RE: All About Stobart Air: ANR-SEN-DUB-AMS

Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:47 pm

Hola Nils!

A very interesting summer read, nice of you to hit the two major British Isles in one single trip.

Great colors of your planes, it makes a great combination, purple, multi-color and green liveries. Needles to say I go for the second one, what a cute little thing, I bet you were not the only one taking pictures of such a funny plane.

I am surprised you did not visit the Chocolate Lounge at DUB; it has been intensively covered here and it seems a must stop when visitng the airport  

All the best this summer.

Salut!

Roger
"At reise er at leve" H.C. Andersen (Traveling is Living)

Shuttle12T

Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:07 pm

Interesting read, I'm flying the new Flybe (albeit a Dash) in a few months and I'm looking forward to seeing what differences have been made since I flew with them in January. Also nice to see that the AT72-500's have been retrofitted with the same seats that are found on the -600s used by EI Regional, they needed it badly, the interior of your DAT AT42 looked pleasantly surprising as well.
Don't miss a trip report: https://voyagereport.wordpress.com

OA260

Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:13 pm

Hello Nils  

I have been waiting for this report. Im glad you have posted. What an extensive review and lovely photos as usual. Lots of Purple there so well done !

I see you went for the jeans rather than the purple trousers I suggested  
Quoting Sultanils (Thread starter):
DUB’s shopping mall, I’m sure my friend OA260 knows the way here  

Haha yes I know it too well.  

Everything looked good and I love the DAT log and beige interior too. SEN looks improved since I was there last year.
Eddie is taking over everything. We even have a TV documentary on his trucks here.

Im glad you had a good trip and so sorry I wasn't in town to meet up. Had I been I would have dragged you to the Chocolate lounge  

Chat soon my friend and your welcome back to DUB anytime.

Regards

Philip  

jwhite9185

Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:34 pm

Hi Nils - nice day trip on a pretty sickly looking purple plane. Good that you managed to log SEN - one I must try someday, but is a little far away for me - although it looks like it has pretty good train links.

The CityFlyer jets have their maintenance done in EDI, so I'm guessing its a training mission?

Everything here breathes, reads Stobart which is quite evident since he owns the place!

Except he's no longer with us...

dirktraveller

Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:07 pm

Hi Sultanils,

Great report on Flybe (Stobart Air) along with Aer Lingus and it's regional subsidiary, accompanied with nice photos as always. Glad to hear that you have enjoyable experience on both of these colorful ATRs..

Certainly she looks beautiful on that purple livery!!

It is a nice logo indeed.. and very straight forward as an airline company  .

Then it’s time to board the plane, by seat rows.

I'd presume front row passengers had the privilege to board early compared to those sitting on the back? Unlike in larger jet aircraft that board from front doors, where those at the rear had board first..

I estimate the load to be around 60%, the seat next to me is empty.

Nice of you to had an empty seat beside! Should be easy to move around and have more photos hehehe...

The last passenger hasn’t even come down the stairs and the boarding process is already initiated.

Wow I guess the turnaround process is that efficient eh?

It has been an interesting read. Thanks a lot for the insights on these regional operations.
Looking forward to see your next project  .

Regards,
Dirktraveller

FLIEGER67

Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:35 pm

Hi, N.,

pretty good and also awaited to follow you´re SEN/Stobart and Irish, sorry, Danish adventures.
Call it colourful planes all around, good choice.
Well written and good pictures, looking for more, you know!.
That´s doubtless the A.netters way to connect Antwerpen and Amsterdam via London and Dublin.
I´am sure there are a couple of people out there not to follow you´re intentions!.

It’s all a relaxed affair. Here’s an UTWYK - an expression you will most likely be familiar with  

Now that´s something new to me, certainly, definitely, but I like it this way!.

Greetings,
Markus(FLIEGER67)
Tripreporter.net

sultanils
Topic Author

Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:09 pm

Roger,

Quote:
Hola Nils!

Hola Roger!

Quote:
A very interesting summer read

Good to hear you enjoyed it!

Quote:
Great colors of your planes, it makes a great combination, purple, multi-color and green liveries.

It was about the most colourful flying day in my entire career I guess  

Quote:
I bet you were not the only one taking pictures of such a funny plane.

No I saw at least 2 other pax taking pics with their phone as well.

Quote:
I am surprised you did not visit the Chocolate Lounge at DUB; it has been intensively covered here and it seems a must stop when visitng the airport

I didn’t bother looking for it. i wasn’t hungry and not in the mood for chocolate. Am I weird lol!?

Quote:
All the best this summer.

Tnx & the same for you!

Shuttle12T,

Quote:
Interesting read

Thanks!

Quote:
Also nice to see that the AT72-500's have been retrofitted with the same seats that are found on the -600s used by EI Regional, they needed it badly

I didn’t expact such a nice retrofitted cabin. Any idea if the Dash’s are retrofitted like this as well?

Quote:
the interior of your DAT AT42 looked pleasantly surprising as well.

Yeah - although far more outdated and the beige is certainly... let’s say different  

Philip,

Quote:
Hello Nils

Hi Philip my friend, good to hear from you!

Quote:
What an extensive review and lovely photos as usual.

Thanks man!

Quote:
Lots of Purple there so well done !

100% sure you’d love it 

Quote:
I see you went for the jeans rather than the purple trousers I suggested

I have no purple trousers lol! I have green, light blue, yellow, dark blue, black and jeans but no purple  

Quote:
Haha yes I know it too well.

You know about the balance, right  

Quote:
Eddie is taking over everything. We even have a TV documentary on his trucks here.

Kinda like the Richard Branson of Eire   

Quote:
and so sorry I wasn't in town to meet up. Had I been I would have dragged you to the Chocolate lounge

No problem you know. There’ll certainly be other occassions! And the Chocolate Lounge? Gladly but with an empty stomach!

Quote:
Chat soon my friend and your welcome back to DUB anytime.

You got it!

James,

Quote:
Hi Nils - nice day trip on a pretty sickly looking purple plane.

Hey James, tnx for your comments. Sickly purple? You don’t like it? I know you have a soft spot for Flybe  

Quote:
Good that you managed to log SEN - one I must try someday, but is a little far away for me - although it looks like it has pretty good train links.

Yeah - the station is just accross the street, apparently with good connections to London central but you’re not in London central allright...!

Quote:
so I'm guessing its a training mission?

Could very well be.

Quote:

Oh, is he not? Don’t know the man but apparently he has some businesses.

dirktraveller,

Quote:
Hi Sultanils

Hello dirktraveller, thanks for stopping by!

Quote:
Great report on Flybe (Stobart Air) along with Aer Lingus and it's regional subsidiary, accompanied with nice photos as always.

Thank you, I’m glad to hear you liked it.

Quote:
Certainly she looks beautiful on that purple livery!!

Beautiful and different. Kudos to Flybe for trying something let’s say more daring  

Quote:
It is a nice logo indeed.. and very straight forward as an airline company

That in combination with the livery makes it stand out.

Quote:
I'd presume front row passengers had the privilege to board early compared to those sitting on the back?

Indeed, it was like that. So the status pax get to sit in the back to deboard as the 1st ones.

Quote:
Nice of you to had an empty seat beside! Should be easy to move around and have more photos

An empty row I had on all the flights that day, makes a big difference and I could stow my carry on under the adjacent seat.

Quote:
Wow I guess the turnaround process is that efficient eh?

It was efficient. Not surprising given the small size of SEN.

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the insights on these regional operations.

No problem, my pleasure!

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

jwhite9185

Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:38 pm

Quoting sultanils (Reply 7):
Quote:

Oh, is he not? Don’t know the man but apparently he has some businesses.

He passed away a year or two back. I think a family friend runs the business these days.

The777Man

Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:56 pm

Hi Nils !

Great to see another report from you! Nice pictures as always!

Bye now to her royal purpleness. At least you can’t blame Flybe for not trying something different with their livery!

I like those colors!

It seems that everywhere I go nowadays, there’s an EK T7 parked near where my flight is leaving from, this time it’s no different. Impressive machines they are!

Yes they are still very impressive!

The difference in wing size between our ‘small’ A320 and that ‘massive’ T7 wing is apparent.

Nice angle of the 77W wing!

Back to my seat now, the legroom is average but the most annoying thing about these seats I find that they’re too straight up, I feel like I’m almost bending fwd iso leaning bkw. Or is it just me  

That sounds very uncomfortable!

Glad you had a nice day out flying again !

Looking forward to your next report !

The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

countvis

Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:20 pm

Thanks Sultanils for producing such an excellent trip report. Excellent photos throughout of a very interesting trip.

2 male stewards on this service, one is clearly Irish and one is clearly not. The Irish one is at the rear door and welcomes the pax with a soft and genuine good morning    The cabin looks smart, apparently Flybe hasn’t done half a job to retrofit these proppers.

Very glad to hear that your impressions were as consistently favourable as my own with both the crew and the cabin. I believe that Stobart Air under the Flybe franchise has built up an exceptionally strong product for these new regional routes. I look forward to flying with them again very soon!

No, a divert from London City. It missed the strict 22:30 curfew the previous evening so elected to divert to Southend. On foggy mornings in winter, Southend often handles an impressive proportion of the London City's traffic!

Apparently one of DAT’s colourful ATR42-300’s, OY-CIR has been leased to do the job today. Although I have been on this type and carrier before, it’s still a nice sub and I’m happy to log a new reg as well.

You were very fortunate to get to fly on the DAT ATR. It had been operating a large number of flights between SEN-DUB recently. Infact I'd even contemplated a quick trip to DUB to fly on it! From your photos the seats look surprisingly good. I'm not surprised about the noise and vibration though - the newer ATRs are much improved in that department.

Thanks very much for the enjoyable read!

signol

Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:57 pm

Excellent Nils, as usual!
Can I ask, what equipment you used for the gps tracking, or if it's your phone, what app?
Thanks!
signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

shamrock350

Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:36 am

Great report!

I've used SEN a few times over the past couple of years and loved it, find it a shame that Aer Lingus Regional are dropping the DUB route this winter though, Flybe are taking it over but the frequency isn't the best. Flybe look really good for these regional routes, I'll have to add this little operation to my to-do list. Loved the photos of DUB, despite all the green and blue that floods Irish airport you managed to capture all the more interesting visitors that DUB gets!

The cabin looks smart, apparently Flybe hasn’t done half a job to retrofit these proppers.

Flybe actually did nothing to these cabins, those lovely blue seats were fitted when the aircraft was with Aer Lingus Regional and are now standard across the Stobart Air fleet.

Apparently one of DAT’s colourful ATR42-300’s, OY-CIR has been leased to do the job today.

Similar circumstances to my DUB-SEN flight in June, only difference was my flight was operated by a DOT ATR-72 rather than DAT ATR-42! It didn't have quite as interesting a livery though.

I find that they’re too straight up, I feel like I’m almost bending fwd iso leaning bkw. Or is it just me

The last row can be like that, I find the other seats fine but the first few rows always appear nicer.

Thanks for sharing!

Shamrock350

sultanils
Topic Author

Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:15 am

Markus,

Quote:
Hi, N

Hello Markus, thanks for stopping by.

Quote:
pretty good and also awaited to follow you´re SEN/Stobart and Irish, sorry, Danish adventures.

Thanks and I’m curious what route you will be flying and what your impressions will be.

Quote:
Well written and good pictures

Thank you, that’s good to hear.

Quote:
That´s doubtless the A.netters way to connect Antwerpen and Amsterdam via London and Dublin.
I´am sure there are a couple of people out there not to follow you´re intentions!

I didn’t look at it this way but you’re right, the perfect detour from Antwerpen to Amsterdam which can be connected in 57 min by Thalys.

Quote:
Now that´s something new to me, certainly, definitely, but I like it this way!.

Perhaps something to try on your next trip?

James,

Quote:
He passed away a year or two back. I think a family friend runs the business these days.

Lars,

Quote:
Hi Nils !

Hello Lars!

Quote:
Great to see another report from you! Nice pictures as always!

Thanks, I’m happy to read you enjoyed it.

Quote:
I like those colors!

Me too! At least now because it took me some getting used to  

Quote:
Yes they are still very impressive!
Quote:
Nice angle of the 77W wing!

Ha ha, you’re prejudiced 

Quote:
That sounds very uncomfortable!

It was a bit yes, but apparently the seats in the front are much better.

countvis,

Quote:
Thanks Sultanils for producing such an excellent trip report. Excellent photos throughout of a very interesting trip.

You’re welcome countvis, good to see you liked it!

Quote:
Very glad to hear that your impressions were as consistently favourable as my own with both the crew and the cabin. I believe that Stobart Air under the Flybe franchise has built up an exceptionally strong product for these new regional routes.

Yes, they seem very consistent and deliver a good experience. I will be most happy to fly them again!

Quote:
No, a divert from London City. It missed the strict 22:30 curfew the previous evening so elected to divert to Southend. On foggy mornings in winter, Southend often handles an impressive proportion of the London City's traffic!

Ah, this makes sense! 22:30 is not late but understandable for LCY due to its location. I’ve had a divert to SEN from LCY on CityJet once but that was before the ‘new’ airport was built.

Quote:
You were very fortunate to get to fly on the DAT ATR.

I thought so as well, a very much appreciated sub.

Quote:
From your photos the seats look surprisingly good. I'm not surprised about the noise and vibration though - the newer ATRs are much improved in that department.

Seats were good but not as good as on the Flybe ATR. And the noise was really bothersome. A good thing I had my earplugs with me.

signol,

Quote:
Excellent Nils, as usual!

Thanks signol!

Quote:
Can I ask, what equipment you used for the gps tracking, or if it's your phone, what app?

It’s an app on my Android phone, called Viewranger. The.gpx file is plotted against Google Maps.

shamrock350,

Quote:
Great report!

Thanks shamrock350, good to hear you enjoyed it.

Quote:
find it a shame that Aer Lingus Regional are dropping the DUB route this winter though, Flybe are taking it over but the frequency isn't the best.

Oh, are they? So in fact then only the timings change because they are now also operated under the Stobart Air flag. At least according to the info I got on my flight.

Quote:
Flybe look really good for these regional routes

Indeed, a strong product for their intended regional operations.

Quote:
Flybe actually did nothing to these cabins, those lovely blue seats were fitted when the aircraft was with Aer Lingus Regional and are now standard across the Stobart Air fleet.

That’s good to know. I’ve never seen such and elegant and modern cabin on an ATR before.

Quote:
Similar circumstances to my DUB-SEN flight in June, only difference was my flight was operated by a DOT ATR-72 rather than DAT ATR-42! It didn't have quite as interesting a livery though.

That’s a cool sub as well but indeed the livery is much less inspiring.

Quote:
I find the other seats fine but the first few rows always appear nicer.

Next time I will look for a seat more upfront!

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

MIAspotter

Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:25 pm

Nils my friend!

Glad to read another story from you 
luchthaven is Dutch for airport.

But the luchthaven building looks like it needs some TLC.

Here’s an UTWYK - an expression you will most likely be familiar with

No idea what are you talking about...   

Yeah! looks pretty sweet, well done.

Barcelona! #1 in the list   

Isn’t she a cutie?

Yes she is! reminds me of that version of the VW Polo a few years back called ¨Arlequin¨

The only round shapes in this cabin are the air nozzles.

Blast from the past, quite a contrast with the previous one.

It seems that everywhere I go nowadays, there’s an EK T7

Or A380...

EI-DVJ will teleport us to AMS this afternoon.

DVJ teleported me from DUB to BCN in 2011  
So next to us is the EK Boeing. The difference in wing size between our ‘small’ A320 and that ‘massive’ T7 wing is apparent.

Wait until you are onboard a lovely VY A320 parked next to the EK 380 in BCN   

El Thalys arrives in the station.

El Thalys looks like it needs a new paintjob.

Again, thanks for sharing this report, see ya in 2 weeks in BCN!   

MIAspotter.
Nos vamos de Vueling?

aerdingus

Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:16 pm

Dublin beach

Probably Portmarnock/Malahide beach, we like to walk our dog there  
The Shamrock longhaulers look   as well imho.

As always! 
One of the 4 female FA’s at work during the service.

Ah, thought it might be one of me friends who defected from FR...but nah.

Always like to see reports of DUB & EI, thanks  

I'm not a huge fan of the new BE livery  
A306 A313 A319 A320 A321 A333 A346 A359 ATR42 ATR72 B734 B737 B738 B744 B772 B789 C152 MD80 RJ85 S340

infodesk

Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:59 pm

Hi Nils,

Good to catch up on your latest trip, it was certainly a very colourful one, hope you had your shades with you  . Nice mixture of airlines and a high-speed trainride to finish it off, nice.

I can’t say I like the new Flybe livery, too garish, the DAT “clown“ is more appealing to me. The cabin looks smart though.

The take off procedure is LCY style, full power and release brake, woohoo

They’re the best take offs, aren’t they?

After a 5 minute wait or so, we’re good to go. A Flybe branded choc in a purple wrapping is given upon leaving the plane. No pic sorry, I ate it too fast.

With that livery, I sincerely hope the chocolates are Milka ones, at least the colour would match!

‘Aer Lingus Regional flight on behalf of Stobart Air which today is operated by Danish Air Transport’.

That statement must make even the most frequent flyers amongst us stop and think.

Stands out nicely against the grey.

You definitely have to fly to Dublin again just to try out the Chocolate Lounge  

Happy flying
Infodesk   
"Do nothing in haste, look well to each step and from the beginning think what may be the end" - Edward Whymper

sultanils
Topic Author

Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:08 am

MIAspotter,

Quote:
Nils my friend!

MIAman, my friend!

Quote:
Glad to read another story from you

You’re welcome, I hope you enjoyed!

Quote:
But the luchthaven building looks like it needs some TLC.

It does, but they’re working on it. The other side has a huge scaffolding present.

Quote:
Yeah! looks pretty sweet, well done.

It looks better in the flesh I must agree.

Quote:
Barcelona! #1 in the list

Nearly always, among the most popular destinations in Europe methinks.

Quote:
Yes she is! reminds me of that version of the VW Polo a few years back called ¨Arlequin¨

Hmm, with some imagination maybe? The plane looks so much better!

Quote:
Or A380...

Give me a T7 anyday over an A380  

Quote:
DVJ teleported me from DUB to BCN in 2011

Ah, good to know. I felt some strong a.netters presence there but I couldn’t quite pinpoint it 

Quote:
Wait until you are onboard a lovely VY A320 parked next to the EK 380 in BCN

In my dreams...

Quote:
El Thalys looks like it needs a new paintjob.

Nah, it’s just motion blur! She does need a good wash though.

Quote:
see ya in 2 weeks in BCN!

You bet! Looking forward to that!

aerdingus,

Quote:
Probably Portmarnock/Malahide beach, we like to walk our dog there

I was waiting for a local to pinpoint these, thanks!

Quote:
As always!

I will nog disagree  

Quote:
I'm not a huge fan of the new BE livery

Well, it’s certainly something different!

Hannah,

Quote:
Hi Nils

Hello Hannah!

Quote:
Good to catch up on your latest trip, it was certainly a very colourful one, hope you had your shades with you . Nice mixture of airlines and a high-speed trainride to finish it off, nice.

Thanks, I’m happy to read you liked it.

Quote:
The cabin looks smart though.

It really does and admittedly, the purple isn’t half bad either when you see it in the flesh.

Quote:
They’re the best take offs, aren’t they?

True! And with only 1,5 km of asphalt, you need some power to get airborne.

Quote:
With that livery, I sincerely hope the chocolates are Milka ones, at least the colour would match!

I don’t think they were Milka’s unfortunately... But still, any choc will do 

Quote:
That statement must make even the most frequent flyers amongst us stop and think.

I was like... what  

Quote:
You definitely have to fly to Dublin again just to try out the Chocolate Lounge

It seems I have to, but then with some ‘local’ guidance  

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

joeytaffy93

Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:05 am

Thank you for sharing.

This is the second trip report I've read for the new Flybe operated by 'Stobart Air' service and it seems to be a pretty decent product.  

I do hope to try out Aer Lingus product soon though!

theearlybird

Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:57 am

Hi Nils,

very nice report - also very detailed!

I think it´s a great thing to experience a subcharter on short notice. Especially as it was another ATR, so you could compare the rather new Stobart ATR72-500 with freshly refurbished interior to that old, well used classic ATR42-300 of DAT. I was also thinking about trying the new flybe service from FMO to SEN myself, but didn´t have the chance, yet.

Very nice idea with the GPS logger aircraft trails on Google Maps. I also used a logger while being in the Azores last month, but more in order to track everything we did with the rental cars as mine didn´t work very reliable while in the air.

Regards, Benjamin

roberts87

Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:21 am

Hello Nils,

Great report! Very nice to read about your experience on Stobart as well. Glad to hear you enjoyed your flight as much as I did. Nice routing after SEN; lovely views in and out of Dublin. And great to get a DAT plane!

Thanks for sharing!

sultanils
Topic Author

Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:07 am

JoeyTaffy93,

Quote:
Thank you for sharing.

No problem.

Quote:
This is the second trip report I've read for the new Flybe operated by 'Stobart Air' service and it seems to be a pretty decent product.

Indeed it is and perfectly suited for their regional operations.

theearlybird,

Quote:
Hi Nils

Hello theearlybird, thanks for stopping by.

Quote:
very nice report - also very detailed!

I’m glad you enjoyed it!

Quote:
I think it´s a great thing to experience a subcharter on short notice. Especially as it was another ATR, so you could compare the rather new Stobart ATR72-500 with freshly refurbished interior to that old, well used classic ATR42-300 of DAT.

Very true and although I flew the DAT ATR42-300 before, it was still a nice sub. Admittedly, an ATR72-600 would’ve been appreciated as well 

Quote:
Very nice idea with the GPS logger aircraft trails on Google Maps. I also used a logger while being in the Azores last month, but more in order to track everything we did with the rental cars as mine didn´t work very reliable while in the air.

Yeah - GPS logging in a plane is rather tricky. You have to have the device near the window all of the time, which isn’t easy.

Robert,

Quote:
Hello Nils

Hi Robert, how are you?

Quote:
Great report!

Thank you!

Quote:
Very nice to read about your experience on Stobart as well. Glad to hear you enjoyed your flight as much as I did. Nice routing after SEN; lovely views in and out of Dublin. And great to get a DAT plane!

It was all good  

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

adamspotter

Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:41 pm

Hi Nils!

Another great report you made here! You made some very lovely and artistic pictures, well done  
What a great idea to try out Stobart Airs new ANR-SEN service. Hopefully this, and their other new routes, are here to stay! A lot of people don't think that will happen, I guess time will tell 
Looks like you had 3 comfortable and eventless flights. Another nice day trip through Europe  
A morning flight from ANR to SEN was booked for € 41 (incl all fees, but without seat selection). To connect the dots for the day, I completed my itinerary with an Aer Lingus Regional aka Aer Arann aka Stobart Air flight from SEN to DUB for € 35 and with an Aer Lingus DUB to AMS flight for € 65. To get home from AMS I decided to take the Thalys high speed train from Amsterdam Schiphol Airport to Antwerp Central Station, a semi flex ticket set me back € 39.

Nicely done and booked at some good prices as well!

The FIDS still shows last nights info.

Well, I guess it still is early 
The crew has a night stop here, so the aircraft is already present. it’s EI-REL, one of the ATR72-200’s that are used for the new regional operations.

A lot of people hate this purple livery, I actually quite like it  
Here’s an UTWYK - an expression you will most likely be familiar with

Never seen it before!

The waste bag has been used already it seems

Why would somebody write on a waste bag?

An ad featuring the new regional destinations by Flybe

I forgot that Stobart Air started flying to Maastricht and Groningen as well. Quite weird routes if you ask me..

Apparently one of DAT’s colourful ATR42-300’s, OY-CIR has been leased to do the job today.

That is a pleasant surprise, those props sure are colourful

We are welcomed on board for this ‘Aer Lingus Regional flight on behalf of Stobart Air which today is operated by Danish Air Transport’

There is a nice sentence to announce 
The trolley is rolled out and I decide to have a ginger ale. This 15 cl can is € 1.

1EUR for a small can and 3EUR for a muffin is a bit too pricey if you ask me

Thanks for sharing another great report!

cheers,

Brendan

sultanils
Topic Author

Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:25 am

Brendan,

Quote:
Hi Nils!

Hello Brendan.

Quote:
Another great report you made here! You made some very lovely and artistic pictures, well done

Thank you very much!

Quote:
A lot of people don't think that will happen, I guess time will tell

The potential certainly is there.

Quote:
Nicely done and booked at some good prices as well!

Can’t complain on the pricing either. I checked the fares a few days before departuren and even then it wasn’t too bad.

Quote:
Well, I guess it still is early

Or the screen is just broken  

Quote:
A lot of people hate this purple livery, I actually quite like it

It takes some getting used to, yes. In real it looks rather good.

Quote:
Why would somebody write on a waste bag?

Because they want to be smart I guess?

Quote:
I forgot that Stobart Air started flying to Maastricht and Groningen as well. Quite weird routes if you ask me..

Grab ‘em while you can, what are you waiting for 

Quote:
There is a nice sentence to announce

A confusing one for any passenger who doesn’t know  

Quote:
1EUR for a small can and 3EUR for a muffin is a bit too pricey if you ask me

Well, those are the BOB prices nowadays, on par with the competition.

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

eastafspot

Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:43 pm

Hello Nils,

Gorgeous pics and nice wee day trip report combining small prices and good mix of airlines.
Always good to read a TR to/from SEN, i'm intrigued to see there is even a "First Class lounge". Stobart Air did a very good job with these flights and the DAT c/s keeps me amazed with its originality.

How long will it last? I’m sceptical...

Can you develop your thoughts further?

A Flybe branded choc in a purple wrapping is given upon leaving the plane. No pic sorry, I ate it too fast.

I would have asked for three or more of these sweets  , you ate it too fast but was it good?

these seats I find that they’re too straight up, I feel like I’m almost bending fwd iso leaning bkw.

Ouch!

Thank you very much for sharing, looking forward to more  
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !

PlaneHunter

Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:30 am

Hi Nils,

excellent report with good picures as usual! Very nice routing, wouldn't mind about a visit to ANR and SEN either.

Good deal, I'd say!

I’m happy to see the resurrection of VLM airlines!

I can only agree.

At least you can’t blame Flybe for not trying something different with their livery!

So true. I like it - we already have too many white schemes.

Until suddenly... There is the clown!

Good description.

We are welcomed on board for this ‘Aer Lingus Regional flight on behalf of Stobart Air which today is operated by Danish Air Transport’.

Must be really confusing for many passengers...

Good choice.

History now...

Yes. I find it quite funny that Emirates, as official world cup carrier, had to pay many millions to Fifa, but Lufthansa got all the world's attention in the end when it flew back the German team with its Siegerflieger. I have just read somewhere that Lufthansa belonged to the most successful brands during the world cup. Not bad for a few Fanhansa decals and some charter flights.

As much as I hoped for a flight on Aer Lingus Regional’s ATR-72-600, I was still very happy with the colourful subbed plane from DAT.

Good reason to go again.

PH
Nothing's worse than flying the same reg twice!

sultanils
Topic Author

Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:50 am

Léonard,

Quote:
Hello Nils

Hello Léonard, comment ça va?

Quote:
Gorgeous pics and nice wee day trip report combining small prices and good mix of airlines.

Thank you for commenting, it is very much appreciated  

Quote:
i'm intrigued to see there is even a "First Class lounge"

Is there? i didn’t even notice  Wow!

Quote:
Can you develop your thoughts further?

The routes involving ANR don’t prove to be succesful in the long term, only CityJet seems to do it right with their LCY flights. Also, those regional operations into smaller airports are difficult to attract pax imho.

Quote:
you ate it too fast but was it good?

Just your regular piece of industrial chocolate, nothing special in fact. But still a nice touch.

PlaneHunter,

Quote:
Hi Nils

PH my friend, how good to hear from you, I thought you had vanished  

Quote:
excellent report with good picures as usual!

Thanks!

Quote:
Very nice routing, wouldn't mind about a visit to ANR and SEN either.

My guess is that you better do it sooner rather than later. Although judging from the load that morning I can be wrong as well.

Quote:
Good deal, I'd say!

I thought so too. Still annoying that Flybe charges € 7 for cc payment and another € 7 if you want to prebook a seat - which I didn’t do this time.

Quote:
I can only agree.

One of the nicer small airlines they are. I do hope however they can keep their service level up to make the difference.

Quote:
we already have too many white schemes.

I couldn’t agree more.

Quote:
Must be really confusing for many passengers...

Even for me lol!

Quote:
Good choice.

Too bad it was only a small bottle but better than nothing I guess?

Quote:
Yes. I find it quite funny that Emirates, as official world cup carrier, had to pay many millions to Fifa, but Lufthansa got all the world's attention in the end when it flew back the German team with its Siegerflieger. I have just read somewhere that Lufthansa belonged to the most successful brands during the world cup. Not bad for a few Fanhansa decals and some charter flights.

Now that’s interesting. I found LH’s move of a subtle title change a very good one. And to carry the world champion soccer team in your aircraft is also very good publicity.

Quote:
Good reason to go again.

That route plays havoc with plane types as it sees just about every existing subtype of the ATR and very random too.

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.