Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

Delta 757 Hops, Beautiful Boston & Alitalia A330

Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:24 pm

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo169/Planehunter/USA2013SouthBoston/Map1.jpg~original

Map generated by the Great Circle Mapper - copyright © Karl L. Swartz

Intro
In early 2013, my wife and I decided to go on vacation to Miami Beach. The second half of October was our travel period of choice, just after the hurricane season. In order to ensure a relaxed outward journey, we burned some miles and booked Nuremberg-Zurich-Miami in Swiss' Business Class. I had already tried the carrier's great long-haul Business Class product on the A340-300, but not yet on the A330-300. The connecting flight would be operated by Augsburg Airways, just eleven days before its shutdown.

Homeward bound, we added a one-day stopover in Boston. Alitalia offered attractive one-way Economy Class fares and we decided to fly Boston-Rome-Munich (long-haul sector operated by an A330-200), complemented by Munich-Nuremberg on Lufthansa CityLine. Delta was the carrier of choice for the journey from Florida to Boston - mostly because it would operate the ever-exciting 757-200 on the Fort Lauderdale-Atlanta and Atlanta-Boston sectors. Flights from Miami were also more expensive.

Finally, we decided to make a daytrip to the Bahamas during our stay in Florida. Both Nassau and Freeport seemed to be attractive destinations - but in the end we booked Fort Lauderdale-Freeport-Fort Lauderdale because flying times were simply better and I would get two new airlines instead of one: Bahamasair and Silver Airways. All flights on the map:

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo169/Planehunter/USA2013SouthBoston/Map2.jpg~original

Map generated by the Great Circle Mapper - copyright © Karl L. Swartz

Part III of my latest trip report series will feature the return journey on Delta and Alitalia as well as the short visit to Boston. Parts I & II can be found here: Swiss A330 To Sunshine State: ZRH-MIA In Business (by PlaneHunter Apr 21 2014 in Trip Reports) Freeport Just For Fun: Bahamasair & Silver Airways (by PlaneHunter Jun 15 2014 in Trip Reports)

[Edited 2014-08-11 08:35:44]
Nothing's worse than flying the same reg twice!

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

RE: Delta 757 Hops, Beautiful Boston & Alitalia A330

Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:26 pm

Wednesday, October 2013
Fort Lauderdale (FLL) - Atlanta (ATL)
Delta Air Lines DL2326
Scheduled times: 09:00-10:48
Actual times: 08:59-10:40
Flight duration: 01:19 (hrs)
Distance: 581 miles
Economy Class, seat 40B

Boeing 757-251
N552NW (s/n 975)
First delivered to Northwest Airlines in 07/2001

1st flight on N552NW
11th 757-200 flight
14th 757 flight

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Cary Liao - AeroPX
View Large View Medium

Photo © Frank Robitaille

Former appearances:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jason Whitebird
View Large View Medium

Photo © Carlos Gonzalez

After a relaxing week in Miami Beach and Sunny Isles, it was time to say goodbye to Florida. Traffic was rather low in the early morning, so the taxi dropped us off at the terminal earlier than expected, more than two hours before departure. There were plenty of check-in kiosks and staffed counters, so we could go airside soon.

Most windows in the gate area were fogged up, so both spotting and taking pictures were rather difficult. Here's the best shot of the plane I could get:

Our plane was former Northwest N552NW, equipped with winglets - one of 133 active frames in the world's largest 757-200 fleet.

I'm not a fan of leather seats, but those were okay for the short hop:

Legroom was acceptable, too:

Delta has eight different 757-200 configurations - version N is one of them:

Inflight magazine...

...including buy-on-board options...

...and a very detailed fleet information page:

Boeing 767-400ER standing out from the crowd:

Impressive route map:

There were no PTVs, but the plane was equipped with Wi-Fi...

...and it was indeed working (picture taken later during the flight):

Nice day for flying - I could only agree with the captain's statement in his pre-departure announcement:

We left the gate one minute ahead of schedule and soon met a Bahamasair 737-500 - it would look so much better in the carrier's old livery:

Goodbye, Florida!

The cabin was packed on this morning flight to Delta's mega hub:

Biscuits and drinks were served...

...and Delta's support for the Breast Cancer Research Foundation was not only apparent on the napkin - the flight attendants even wore pink uniform pieces.

On approach:

We touched the ground after a flying time of 1 hour and 19 minutes...

...and arrived at the gate 8 minutes ahead of schedule. Finally I could take a decent picture of the bird:

What to do at ATL? Spotting, of course! I found a nice location where I could see numerous aircraft taxiing in and out. Cool 757 climbout:

Wednesday, October 2013
Atlanta (ATL) - Boston (BOS)
Delta Air Lines DL2288
Scheduled times: 12:27-14:55
Actual times: 12:43-14:55
Flight duration: 01:44 (hrs)
Distance: 946 miles
Economy Class, seat 43F

Boeing 757-232
N683DA (s/n 533)
Delivered in 03/1993

1st flight on N683DA
12th 757-200 flight
15th 757 flight

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jose M. Garcia
View Large View Medium

Photo © André Siemienowski

Former appearances:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Ricardo Morales - Aviation Photography of Mexico
View Large View Medium

Photo © Mark Abbott

Our Boston-bound plane turned out to be N683DA, an original Delta bird without winglets:

Pretty similar interior, same seats without PTVs:

Slightly different safety card:

Shortly after boarding had been completed, the captain made an announcement and referred to a problem with a "fuel xxx" - I didn't understand the sentence completely. Then a mechanic showed up under the wing and started working:

Fortunately, the problem could get fixed within a short while and we left the gate just 16 minutes behind schedule. The MD-90 looks really cool from behind, doesn't it?

We took off after a relatively quick taxi process and passed the Renaissance Airport Hotel which is excellent for spotting:

Here's the AirTran camp - a brand which will be gone soon, unfortunately:

Great views of downtown Atlanta during climbout:

Peanuts were offered on this afternoon flight - and I had the first ginger ale of the day:

I wasn't hungry, but I wanted to buy something out of curiosity. Here's what they had on offer:

Finally, I decided to order a snack box for $7:

It contained a nice mix of items, but I can tell that the American Nutella version cannot match the German one...

Another packed cabin, but this time equipped with overhead screens:

The weather didn't look good at all around Boston...

Star Alliance, Skyteam and Oneworld lined up next to each other:

Despite the initial delay, we arrived at the gate exactly on time:

Before disembarking, we could see our checked luggage being unloaded...but later at the carousel, only my wife's suitcase would show up. After all other passengers had left, I put my boarding pass under a dedicated scanner in the arrival hall and according to the system, my suitcase had been delivered to the carousel. So what the heck had happened?  Confused

We went to the nearby Delta office, spoke up and the friendly lady told us that someone else may have picked up my suitcase accidentally. "That happens every day", she explained and asked me to file a report. Of course I was really pissed now - but what can you do? The lady was quite optimistic that the case would be brought back on the same day and she promised that it would be delivered straight to our hotel...well, I must admit that I wasn't too optimistic.  embarrassed 

Then we went to the Hilton hotel which is connected directly to the airport. Even though it belongs to the most expensive hotels we have ever booked, the room was very disappointing - tasteless and worn. Definitely the worst Hilton room I have ever stayed in:

Due to the disappearance of my suitcase, I wasn't in good mood on that late afternoon. After walking around at the airport for a while and having dinner, we returned to the hotel where the receptionist surprised me with good news: My suitcase had meanwhile showed up again and had already been delivered! That's what I call a happy end!  bigthumbsup 

[Edited 2014-08-11 09:11:21]

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:27 pm

Beautiful Boston
On the next morning, we took the hotel shuttle to the nearby water taxi dock. The weather had turned beautiful over night and Boston's skyline looked amazing from there:

10 minutes later, we were approaching Rowes Wharf:

It was still rather quiet in that part of the city:

Lovely colors, lovely scenery:

We decided to have breakfast at Quincy Market where you can find lots of good stuff:

Half an hour later, we continued walking around in the morning sun:

What's going on over there at BOS? No worries, firefighters conducting training exercise:

By noon, we returned to the dock near our hotel. I can only recommend Rowes Wharf Water Taxi:

The Hilton looks really nice from outside...

...and the same can be said about the lobby:

View from our room:

At least I could spot one registration from there, JAL's Dreamliner JA828J:

[Edited 2014-08-11 08:48:32]

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:29 pm

Thursday, October 2013
Boston (BOS) - Rome (FCO)
Alitalia AZ615
Scheduled times: 17:10-07:10
Actual times: 17:00-06:59
Flight duration: 07:14 (hrs)
Distance: 4093 miles
Economy Class, seat 35C

Airbus A330-202
EI-EJM (MSN 1308), named "Giovanni Battista Tiepolo"
Delivered in 05/2012

1st flight on EI-EJM
18th A330-200 flight
33rd A330 flight

View Large View Medium

Photo © Aldo Bidini
View Large View Medium

Photo © Mario Serrano

View Large View Medium

Photo © Nigel Harris - CYYZ Aviation Photography
View Large View Medium

Photo © Marcos Ferreira

We left the hotel in the early afternoon and went straight to the Alitalia check-in desks at Terminal E. Despite our low fare, we were offered an upgrade to the carrier's lie-flat Magnifica Class ($500 per person) or Classica Plus Premium Economy ($250 per person) on the transatlantic leg. However, we weren't in a spending mood and declined. The flight would only take some 7 hours and we would have a two-seater (pre-reserved free of charge after booking) - these prospects simply weren't bad enough.  Wink

After receiving our boarding passes, we went back to a staircase in the connecting passage between Terminals B and C. The location is great for spotting - hardly anybody needs to pass there, so you can use binoculars without worries:

There were long lines at security, but we had returned early enough. The gate area was very cramped, but the situation got better when Lufthansa commenced boarding for its 747-400 flight to Frankfurt. Alitalia had sent EI-EJM, one of the newer birds in the 12-strong A330-200 fleet:

By the way, I had never been worried that we would get one of the two ex-Air One aircraft which weren't yet equipped with new seats and PTVs back then. According to Flightradar24, AZ had never sent these planes to Boston, but only to Chicago and Toronto. And it seems the situation hasn't changed by now.

During boarding, I was positively surprised that the gate agent added my last name after scanning the boarding pass and thanking me. Several flight attendants provided a friendly welcome on board, speaking Italian.

The seats were fine initially...

...but my back would start hurting only a few hours later.

Seat backs equipped with video screen, USB port and coat hook:

Legroom (31 to 32 inches according to Seat Guru) wasn't generous, but acceptable for a 7 hour flight:

I can only wonder why Alitalia put the IFE boxes for both seats under the window seat:

The extra-legroom three-seaters in rows 34 and 35 would be used for crew rest purposes:

Handset:

Headphones:

Safety card:

Alitalia's Ulisse inflight magazine:

I couldn't find any obvious mistakes here...

...actually I was very surprised that they even mentioned the remaining A330 in Air One colors:

I know what a low-cost carrier is - but what is a "smart carrier"?

What would a seat pocket on an Italian aircraft be without a shopping guide?

British Airways 747-400 shining in the late afternoon sun:

We left the gate 10 minutes ahead of schedule and passed various business jets:

Front camera view:

AZ615 cleared for takeoff:

Great views of Boston shortly after liftoff:

How about some backyard spying?  Wink

What a lovely scenery:

Tasty rosemary crackers were offered along with drinks after a while. Other than on a JFK-FCO flight back in 2008, ginger ale was not available, so I ordered orange juice which is actually a rather tasty blood orange juice on Alitalia:

"Would you like beef or pasta?", a friendly flight attendant asked me during dinner service. I decided to try the former, but this is what I got surprisingly - definitely chicken:

My wife ordered pasta and did get pasta:

Anyway, we liked our meals both in terms of quality and quantity. Chicken breast, vegetables, sauce, potato salad and potato casserole, lasagna and cheese cake were really tasty. Definitely no deterioration since 2008. Well done, Alitalia!  thumbsup 

After dinner, it was time for a short walk. Most seats were occupied in the rear section:

Large-sized mirror enlarging the lavatory - not a bad idea and definitely worth a picture:

After dinner service had been completed, several flight attendants started occupying the crew rest area next to me and closed the curtain:

However, it was hard for me to get some rest because flight attendants kept moving in and out, kept opening and closing overhead bins and kept chatting behind their curtain...that was really disturbing, just like numerous passengers who kept passing all the time. Fortunately, it got better after an hour or so.

Alitalia's audio/video on-demand entertainment system offers a decent range of options. Main menu:

That was all I needed:

Due to the lack of drink rounds during the night, I kept visiting the galley where a kind of self-service bar had been set up:

Shortly after reaching continental Europe...

...the flight attendants sprung into action again and served a small breakfast:

While the biscuits were fine, I didn't like the non-fat yogurt and the dust-dry pastry. And unfortunately, Alitalia's coffee didn't taste as good as in earlier times either.

It was still pitch dark when we touched down at FCO at 06:31 in the morning after a flying time of 7 hours and 14 minutes. After taxiing for 4 minutes, the plane stopped in the middle of nowhere - at least that's what it looked like. It was pretty clear that we hadn't reached a parking position yet. Simply nothing happened for a while and I was wondering whether staff at FCO had started a sudden strike. The flight deck kept quiet (just like during the whole flight) and there was just a short announcement by the purser, asking passengers to remain seated. Finally, at 06:51 we started moving again and stopped at a gate position at 06:59. During disembarking I asked the purser about the stop and he replied that our gate position hadn't been available. Well, who knows...

Friday, October 2013
Rome (FCO) - Munich (MUC)
Alitalia AZ432
Scheduled times: 09:15-10:50
Actual times: 09:41-11:17
Flight duration: 01:16 (hrs)
Distance: 453 miles
Economy Class, seat 30A

Airbus A320-216
EI-DSJ (MSN 3295), named "Ignazio Silone"
First delivered to Air One in 11/2007

1st flight on EI-DSJ
50th A320-200 flight
97th A32X flight

View Large View Medium

Photo © Erwin van Hassel
View Large View Medium

Photo © Federico La Sala

Former appearance:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Charles Polidano - Touch The Skies

Transferring at Fiumicino Airport was not bad in general, but many areas are run down. It would also be a good idea to clean the windows in the gate area:

The letters on the tail indicated that we would fly on ex-Air One EI-DSJ, one of 50 A320s in the fleet:

Boarding commenced on time and friendly flight attendants welcomed us in the cabin. The leather seats were worn, but still comfortable enough:

PTVs were once installed on this bird, but they are unused and therefore just dead weight in these days:

While my screen remained black, my wife had to tolerate a constant flickering:

Legroom was absolutely sufficient:

Safety card:

Alitalia A321-100 parked next to us:

Boarding had been completed quickly, but the captain soon announced a delay of unknown duration, referring to air traffic control restrictions. I asked a flight attendant for further details and she told me that there were restrictions due to fog at Munich. Definitely bad news considering that we had to catch a connecting flight to Nuremberg, booked independently from our Alitalia flights.  thumbsdown 

Finally, we could leave the gate earlier than expected, only 26 minutes behind schedule, and taxied to the runway without further interruptions:

Nice scenery shortly after takeoff:

Back in 2008, I had received a tasty cake on AZ432, but those biscuits weren't bad either:

Flying over the Alps in clear skies is always a pleasure:

I also enjoyed the approach straight over Munich:

Olympic Park:

Very low clouds near the airport:

We finally arrived at the gate 27 minutes behind schedule which wasn't bad at all. Once we had our luggage, we went to Terminal 2 and quickly found out that there were hardly any delays and our flight to Nuremberg would depart on time. Lufthansa CityLine CRJ900 D-ACKB operated the last sector of our journey, flying time just 21 minutes. By the way, while Economy Class passengers could grab a chocolate bar during boarding, Business Class passengers even received a tray during the flight.

[Edited 2014-08-11 09:00:25]

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:32 pm

Conclusion
Both hops on Delta were standard domestic flights with average crews, average seating comfort and average catering, but riding on the Boeing 757 was a pleasure as usual. PTVs would have been nice, but they're not essential on such short flights.

Alitalia had left a good impression on a long-haul journey in 2008 and I also rate this recent journey positively. Flight attendants and ground staff members were friendly and helpful, catering was decent (apart from the breakfast) and entertainment options were satisfying. However, seating comfort was not sufficient on the long-haul sector and I wouldn't want to spend 10 hours or more in such a seat. Let's wait and see how Alitalia's product will change under assistance of Etihad Airways.

Best Regards,
PlaneHunter

P.S.: Just in case you missed them - here's a selection of my previous trip reports: Freeport Just For Fun: Bahamasair & Silver Airways (by PlaneHunter Jun 15 2014 in Trip Reports) Swiss A330 To Sunshine State: ZRH-MIA In Business (by PlaneHunter Apr 21 2014 in Trip Reports) Throning On A 777: JFK-VIE, Austrian's New J Class (by PlaneHunter Mar 15 2014 in Trip Reports) Homey Herringbone! AC A330 Executive First Suite (by PlaneHunter Feb 1 2014 in Trip Reports) Flat Bed On Euro Leg: SQ 777-300ER, Business Class (by PlaneHunter Dec 13 2013 in Trip Reports) ZigZag To MAN: Volotea 717, TVF 738 & Packed 757s (by PlaneHunter Dec 4 2013 in Trip Reports) The Hobbit 777 Meets Retro Jet: LAX To CPH, NZ/SK (by PlaneHunter Oct 12 2013 in Trip Reports) Triatlón Mexicano: Interjet - Volaris - AeroMexico (by PlaneHunter Sep 21 2013 in Trip Reports) Snow Chaos & Rebooking: KLM 744 To MEX In Business (by PlaneHunter Sep 1 2013 in Trip Reports) Short Hops, High Quality: Luxair, VLM & CityJet (by PlaneHunter Jul 31 2013 in Trip Reports) Night Stop In Beirut: Turkish A333 & MEA A320/A332 (by PlaneHunter Jun 28 2013 in Trip Reports) Rushing Thru Romania: Carpatair S20 & Tarom A318 (by PlaneHunter Apr 30 2013 in Trip Reports) Flybe E175, Helvetic F100 & The Beauty Of Scotland (by PlaneHunter Feb 11 2013 in Trip Reports) Berlin A.Net Meeting, Air Malta & Wind Jet (R.I.P) (by PlaneHunter Jan 26 2013 in Trip Reports) 100th Report: LOT 787 Dream)Liner, 1st Day Of Ops (by PlaneHunter Dec 16 2012 in Trip Reports) Air Macau, Tiger Airways & Grounding Fiasco At SIN (by PlaneHunter Dec 10 2012 in Trip Reports) Delayed By Over 6 Months: LHR-SIN On Qantas A380 (by PlaneHunter Nov 29 2012 in Trip Reports) No A380, But Still Great: ICN-DXB, EK 77W J Class (by PlaneHunter Nov 21 2012 in Trip Reports) Taipei 101 & Flawed Prestige Class On Korean A330 (by PlaneHunter Oct 7 2012 in Trip Reports) Double Letdown To BKK & TPE: UL A330/A340, CI 744 (by PlaneHunter Sep 24 2012 in Trip Reports) 5* Carrier, Hilton Suite & Dubai's Epic Landmarks (by PlaneHunter Aug 10 2012 in Trip Reports) India's Finest? BKK-BOM-LHR, Jet Airways 738 & 77W (by PlaneHunter May 18 2012 in Trip Reports) 3x Asian Quality: CGK-SIN-HKT-BKK On GA, FD & PG (by PlaneHunter Mar 27 2012 in Trip Reports) Blast From The Past: Sriwijaya 732 & Lion Air 739 (by PlaneHunter Mar 7 2012 in Trip Reports) Widebody Hopping & KUL Spotting: SIA A330, KLM 77W (by PlaneHunter Feb 21 2012 in Trip Reports) QF A380 Grounded, Bags Lost - LHR-SIN, TK A330/340 (by PlaneHunter Jan 30 2012 in Trip Reports) Type Downgrade, Class Upgrade: EgyptAir Business (by PlaneHunter Dec 31 2011 in Trip Reports) Long-Haul Cabin On A 737: MUC-CAI On PrivatAir (by PlaneHunter Nov 29 2011 in Trip Reports) 1 Day, 2 Highlights: Big A.net Meeting & LAN A340 (by PlaneHunter Nov 15 2011 in Trip Reports) Imperfect Giant: CPT-JNB-FRA On SA A332 & LH A380 (by PlaneHunter Oct 21 2011 in Trip Reports) BA Vs. LCC, African Way: JNB-DUR-CPT, Comair/Mango (by PlaneHunter Oct 8 2011 in Trip Reports) Africa's Best Airline? FRA-JNB On SAA A340-600 (by PlaneHunter Sep 23 2011 in Trip Reports) Fuel Dump & Return To CDG: Enroute To LAX On 9/11 (by PlaneHunter Sep 11 2011 in Trip Reports) Greek Quality: Aegean, Olympic & Istanbul Spotting (by PlaneHunter Aug 29 2011 in Trip Reports) Exploring A Virgin: VS A343/A346 & Dubai Delights (by PlaneHunter Aug 8 2011 in Trip Reports) Superb Stübli & Crew: LAS-LAX-ZRH-MUC, LX J Class (by PlaneHunter Jul 20 2011 in Trip Reports) Grand Canyon & More: Scenic Flight On Dornier 228 (by PlaneHunter Jun 21 2011 in Trip Reports) San Francisco Sunshine...and A Frontier Fiasco (by PlaneHunter Jun 3 2011 in Trip Reports) Fully Flat Bed To SFO: SWISS' New Business Class (by PlaneHunter May 7 2011 in Trip Reports) Mountains, Meals & More: SunExpress Vs. Pegasus (by PlaneHunter Apr 23 2011 in Trip Reports) Crossing Two Oceans: AKL-SFO-MUC, NZ 777 & LH A346 (by PlaneHunter Apr 10 2011 in Trip Reports) Bad Weather & Other Bad Luck: Touring New Zealand (by PlaneHunter Mar 14 2011 in Trip Reports) Trans-Tasman Treat: Aerolineas Argentinas A340-200 (by PlaneHunter Mar 5 2011 in Trip Reports) Detours To Sydney: Wildlife, Tiger, REX & QFLink (by PlaneHunter Feb 22 2011 in Trip Reports) Thai Fails To Impress: MUC-BKK-BNE On 744 & 777 (by PlaneHunter Jan 23 2011 in Trip Reports) Painful Delay & My 100th Airline: AF A380, VO F100 (by PlaneHunter Dec 25 2010 in Trip Reports) Fifth Freedom Tidbit: Kuwait Airways A300-600 (by PlaneHunter Dec 2 2010 in Trip Reports) Ship Vs. Plane: Porto Santo Line & Sata Air Açores (by PlaneHunter Nov 17 2010 in Trip Reports) Awesome Approach, Splendid Scenery: LIS, FNC & TAP (by PlaneHunter Oct 30 2010 in Trip Reports) Guernsey, Ash Cloud Alarm & Mostly Empty SQ 77Ws (by PlaneHunter Sep 26 2010 in Trip Reports) Totally Thrilling: Scenic Flight On Lufthansa A380 (by PlaneHunter Aug 5 2010 in Trip Reports) Cirrus D38, Adria CRJ & Captain Niki Lauda On Duty (by PlaneHunter Jul 27 2010 in Trip Reports) Monarch Hot Meal, E195 & More: PMI-ALC-MAN-MUC (by PlaneHunter Jul 4 2010 in Trip Reports) Premium Meal & Palma Spotting: MUC-PMI, DE 757-300 (by PlaneHunter Jun 6 2010 in Trip Reports) The Dead Slow Transfer: PEK-MUC On Air China A332 (by PlaneHunter May 29 2010 in Trip Reports) Cancellation Brings Joy: HKG-PEK On Dragonair A330 (by PlaneHunter May 21 2010 in Trip Reports) A380 Cacophony, 777 Star Livery: DXB-SIN-HKG On SQ (by PlaneHunter May 1 2010 in Trip Reports) The Next 5* Carrier? MUC-MCT-DXB, Oman Air A330 (by PlaneHunter Mar 25 2010 in Trip Reports) Turkey For 1.5 Hrs: Daytrip To AYT On Sky Airlines (by PlaneHunter Mar 13 2010 in Trip Reports) CO Scores Again: ATL-IAH-EWR-FRA On ERJ, 752 & 764 (by PlaneHunter Mar 6 2010 in Trip Reports) Riding The Ultra Long-Haul Twin: Delta 777-200LR (by planehunter Feb 12 2010 in Trip Reports) Pacific Coast Jaunt: 3 Carriers, E120, E140 & Fog (by PlaneHunter Jan 30 2010 in Trip Reports) The Ultimate 737: LHR-IAH-PDX On CO 777 & 739ER (by PlaneHunter Jan 6 2010 in Trip Reports) Bye Bye, Hell! TRD-OSL-TXL-NUE - DY/AB/HE DH4 (by PlaneHunter Dec 13 2009 in Trip Reports) My Trip To Hell: NUE-CPH-OSL-TRD On Cimber & SAS (by PlaneHunter Nov 21 2009 in Trip Reports) SFO-YUL-FRA: Map- & Sleepless On Air Canada's 77W (by PlaneHunter Nov 10 2009 in Trip Reports) Sin City Gloss & Virgin America's Chic First Class (by PlaneHunter Oct 30 2009 in Trip Reports) Seat Dilemma & Canyon Glamour: FRA To LAX, AC 763 (by PlaneHunter Oct 11 2009 in Trip Reports) On Par With Air France? DTW-AMS-MUC, KLM A330 (by PlaneHunter Oct 3 2009 in Trip Reports) Goodbye, Red Tails! DC-9-40/50 & Chicago Tour (by PlaneHunter Aug 27 2009 in Trip Reports) Champagne & World Of Coke: Air France A340 To ATL (by PlaneHunter Jul 19 2009 in Trip Reports) "Mission A380": Disappointing Legs On BA/BD/EI (by PlaneHunter May 30 2009 in Trip Reports) Delights Of Doha, 773 & 77W: DOH-DXB-LHR On EK (by PlaneHunter Apr 23 2009 in Trip Reports) A380 Really A Step Forward? LHR-DXB-DOH On EK (by PlaneHunter Mar 25 2009 in Trip Reports) Quality & Style: HKG-LHR On Air New Zealand 744 (by PlaneHunter Mar 10 2009 in Trip Reports) Taiwan Trio: TransAsia, UNI Air And The Taipei 101 (by PlaneHunter Feb 21 2009 in Trip Reports) "The Wings Of Taiwan": EVA Air A332, 744 Combi (by PlaneHunter Jan 31 2009 in Trip Reports) SHA-SZX, Shanghai 757: Delayed By The Military (by PlaneHunter Jan 6 2009 in Trip Reports) PEK-SHA, China Eastern A330 & Shanghai At Night (by PlaneHunter Dec 13 2008 in Trip Reports) Striking Newcomer: Berlin-Beijing On Hainan A330 (by PlaneHunter Nov 22 2008 in Trip Reports)

[Edited 2014-08-11 09:21:52]

eastafspot

Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:28 pm

Excellent TR PH as usual,

Nice pictures of the Boston where you had a great weather, a lot of relevant informations provided and good choice for a Skyteam combo!
According to your report, I found AZ product at a decent level, meals look appetizing and it's nice from AZ to offer two types of "pasta"...   .
Too bad that as Italia's flag carrier, AZ's coffee tasted bland.

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 1):
We went to the nearby Delta office, spoke up and the friendly lady told us that someone else may have picked up my suitcase accidentally. "That happens every day", she explained and asked me to file a report. Of course I was really pissed now - but what can you do? The lady was quite optimistic that the case would be brought back on the same day and she promised that it would be delivered straight to our hotel...well, I must admit that I wasn't too optimistic.

Oh no!
Thankfully you got it promptly afterwards   . A good system in some countries in Africa (and probably elsewhere) is when airport staffs check passengers leaving the bagage reclaim hall to match the name on the bag with the tag on the ticket!

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 3):
so you can use binoculars without worries:

Is it really a suspicious behaviour to use them in an airport in the US?

However, it was hard for me to get some rest because flight attendants kept moving in and out, kept opening and closing overhead bins and kept chatting behind their curtain...that was really disturbing, just like numerous passengers who kept passing all the time.

Thanks for advising against sitting from row 32 or 33 (?) onwards    .

It would also be a good idea to clean the windows in the gate area:

Very true, i thought the exactly same when i transited through FCO in 2012!

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 4):
Let's wait and see how Alitalia's product will change under assistance of Etihad Airways.

For sure AZ will benefit from it, how long, do you think, will it take?

Thank you very much for sharing the return leg, with some stunning shots of the Alps!
Looking forward to more  
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !

reifel

Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:14 pm

Hello Udo,

what a long way home!
If you're looking for a really bad Hilton, i would recommend the Hilton Anchorage  
Nice to see that you enjoyed your Alitalia flight. During all these error fare times I had the pleasure to fly to Osaka and back on Alitalia and it really was a good flight, it was indeed a pleasure. I also found the crew rest quite a pity, actually I felt sorry for the crew flying over 12 hours that they need to rest there, while other airlines have proper sleeping areas, where you can really retreat. Other than that Alitalia is definitely an ok carrier longhaul. I also used them between FCO and Abu Dhabi and found the A330 really good.
Rome itself has quite long Schengen to Nonschengen connections. But the airport is not that bad in my opinion, as a lot of people say. The only thing that really gets crowded is the passport control, especially for non european passport holders....

lpdal

Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:09 pm

Awesome report, PlaneHunter! Glad to see you flew out of FLL again. Due to the presence of NK, B6, F9, G4, WN, and the crumbs of FL, legacy prices out of FLL are always shockingly low, even in First Class. For example, FLL-ATL-BOS-JFK-DTW-FLL can sometimes be had, all in First Class, for under $700...

Other than FLL, us South Floridians have PBI and MIA...PBI is quite far from FLL, sometimes not even worth the savings gained from flying out of Palm Beach, but also very nice--mall in the airport and check in puttings greens! MIA is a nice airport as well, but prices are high on non-AA carriers...

Most windows in the gate area were fogged up, so both spotting and taking pictures were rather difficult. Here's the best shot of the plane I could get:

Despite the warmth outside, a lot of people prefer their air conditioned rooms here to be frosty cold not only in the summer but also sometimes in the more chilly months of the year...I suspect the fog is produced when the cold glass meets the outside hot and humid air.

Delta has eight different 757-200 configurations - version N is one of them:

I've always wondered why Delta doesn't just consolidate the 757 fleet into one common subtype, but then again I've read that Delta is going to be retiring some of the oldest examples of the 752 and therefore, refreshing the cabins would be pointless...I believe version X is the one with PTVs.

...including buy-on-board options...

"Travel Treats" used to include a mini-deck of Delta-embossed playing cards, I wonder if they still do....?

Biscuits and drinks were served...

Unfortunately, you won't be served much more up in First Class, having done this route many times (mostly in F) you'll get a few rounds of the snack basket. Also, you'll have to physically ask the Y F/As if you want to utilize the BOB.

Here's the AirTran camp - a brand which will be gone soon, unfortunately:

Well, atleast I did catch one flight on them in J--N965AT was my only flight, solely to add AirTran FL to my log: AirTran Business Class Delta F FLL-ATL-CLE-ATL-FLL (by LPDAL Mar 10 2014 in Trip Reports)

Thanks again!

-LPDAL
TWU represented. All of my views and posted content are mine alone, and should not be viewed as official communication from my employer, its subsidiaries thereof, or any other entities or airlines.

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:20 am

Quoting eastafspot (Reply 5):
Excellent TR PH as usual,

Hi Léonard, many thanks for your nice comments! Good to hear you liked it.

Nice pictures of the Boston where you had a great weather

We were lucky!

According to your report, I found AZ product at a decent level, meals look appetizing and it's nice from AZ to offer two types of "pasta"..

Yes, there wasn't a major fault.

Too bad that as Italia's flag carrier, AZ's coffee tasted bland.

Must be disgusting for many Italians who are used to good coffee. AZ still had a good one in 2008.

Thankfully you got it promptly afterwards

A good system in some countries in Africa (and probably elsewhere) is when airport staffs check passengers leaving the bagage reclaim hall to match the name on the bag with the tag on the ticket!

Yes, too bad it doesn't exist everywhere around the globe. Believe it nor not, on another trip in March this year it happened again. Someone took my suitcase at MUC and left. I got it back in the end, but it was still very annoying. Details to follow in part II of my new series.

Is it really a suspicious behaviour to use them in an airport in the US?

Yes, there are enough people who rate binoculars suspicious. I have experienced that several times since 9/11.

Thanks for advising against sitting from row 32 or 33 (?) onwards

Row 32 should still be fine.

Very true, i thought the exactly same when i transited through FCO in 2012!

Who knows if these windows will ever be cleaned...well, maybe after some complaints by Etihad executives.  

For sure AZ will benefit from it, how long, do you think, will it take?

You never know. It will be interesting to see how other carriers and the EU will react to that deal.

Thank you very much for sharing the return leg, with some stunning shots of the Alps!

Thanks again!

Looking forward to more

I have started working on the next one...

Quoting reifel (Reply 6):
what a long way home!

Hi Reifel, thanks for your feedback! Yes, we made some stops, but it wasn't too bad with the stay at BOS.

If you're looking for a really bad Hilton, i would recommend the Hilton Anchorage

Good to know! What exactly was so bad?

Nice to see that you enjoyed your Alitalia flight. During all these error fare times I had the pleasure to fly to Osaka and back on Alitalia and it really was a good flight, it was indeed a pleasure.

Yes, I remember that hardly anyone of the "error fare travellers" complained about the product.

I also found the crew rest quite a pity, actually I felt sorry for the crew flying over 12 hours that they need to rest there, while other airlines have proper sleeping areas, where you can really retreat.

I can only agree!

Rome itself has quite long Schengen to Nonschengen connections. But the airport is not that bad in my opinion, as a lot of people say. The only thing that really gets crowded is the passport control, especially for non european passport holders....

There weren't any long lines back then, fortunately.

Quoting lpdal (Reply 7):
Awesome report, PlaneHunter!

Hi Colby, thank you very much! Good to know you enjoyed it.

Quoting lpdal (Reply 7):
Glad to see you flew out of FLL again. Due to the presence of NK, B6, F9, G4, WN, and the crumbs of FL, legacy prices out of FLL are always shockingly low, even in First Class. For example, FLL-ATL-BOS-JFK-DTW-FLL can sometimes be had, all in First Class, for under $700...

That's not bad indeed.

Quoting lpdal (Reply 7):
PBI is quite far from FLL, sometimes not even worth the savings gained from flying out of Palm Beach, but also very nice--mall in the airport and check in puttings greens

In have only been there for spotting by car, never landed/departed. How are the fares?

Quoting lpdal (Reply 7):
I suspect the fog is produced when the cold glass meets the outside hot and humid air.

It had rained a lot during the night.

Quoting lpdal (Reply 7):
I've always wondered why Delta doesn't just consolidate the 757 fleet into one common subtype, but then again I've read that Delta is going to be retiring some of the oldest examples of the 752 and therefore, refreshing the cabins would be pointless...I believe version X is the one with PTVs.

Yes, the older frames will be retired in the near future, so not worth the effort.

Quoting lpdal (Reply 7):
"Travel Treats" used to include a mini-deck of Delta-embossed playing cards, I wonder if they still do....?

Interesting.

Quoting lpdal (Reply 7):
Unfortunately, you won't be served much more up in First Class, having done this route many times (mostly in F) you'll get a few rounds of the snack basket. Also, you'll have to physically ask the Y F/As if you want to utilize the BOB.

That's really disappointing - they could at least offer a proper breakfast or a sandwich plus salad on a 1:30 hrs flight.

Quoting lpdal (Reply 7):
Well, atleast I did catch one flight on them in J--N965AT was my only flight, solely to add AirTran FL to my log:

I flew FL once some years ago, I'm really glad about it. Will have a look at your report later.

PH

sultanils

Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:29 am

Hello PH, very nice to see another story of yours, high quality as expected   Well, what’s better than 1 B757 flight? 2 B757 flights! Luckily you didn’t get the same frame twice but you did manage to get a wingletted and a non-wingletted one    Also AZ left a good impression on their A332 and Boston looked very nice in the late Oct sunshine.

Quote:
one of 133 active frames in the world's largest 757-200 fleet.

An impressive number, even more so if you see that the B757 is virutally extinct in Europe - aside from some charter airlines like Thomson, Condor,... Also not surprising given DL has about the largest aircraft fleet of any airline.

Quote:
Impressive route map

Impressive but messy as well...

Quote:
but the plane was equipped with Wi-Fi

A good thing. Did you use it and more importantly, was it free? (probably not...)

Quote:
he MD-90 looks really cool from behind, doesn't it?

It does!

Quote:
My suitcase had meanwhile showed up again and had already been delivered!

Ah, that’s good, there’s nothing more annoying when on a holiday. And sadly, these things happen quite often.

Quote:
By the way, I had never been worried that we would get one of the two ex-Air One aircraft which weren't yet equipped with new seats and PTVs back then. According to Flightradar24, AZ had never sent these planes to Boston, but only to Chicago and Toronto. And it seems the situation hasn't changed by now.

It’s important to do your research! Same here  

Quote:
I can only wonder why Alitalia put the IFE boxes for both seats under the window seat

Not 1 but 2 IFE boxes  Wow! No, the window seat is not to be preferred on a long journey...

Quote:
so I ordered orange juice which is actually a rather tasty blood orange juice on Alitalia

I remember that from my trip to NRT this was indeed a tasty drink.

Quote:
lasagna

A popular item it seems as we got this also 2 years ago on our way to Tokyo.

Quote:
my wife had to tolerate a constant flickering

How annoying!

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:51 am

Quoting sultanils (Reply 9):
Hello PH, very nice to see another story of yours, high quality as expected

Hi Nils, thanks a lot for your comments! I'm glad you liked it.

Well, what’s better than 1 B757 flight? 2 B757 flights!

Absolutely!

Luckily you didn’t get the same frame twice but you did manage to get a wingletted and a non-wingletted one

Exactly, and an ex-NWA one and an original DL one. Would have been really bad to get the same frame twice.

Also AZ left a good impression on their A332 and Boston looked very nice in the late Oct sunshine.

Boston was nice indeed, but it's a very expensive city.

An impressive number, even more so if you see that the B757 is virutally extinct in Europe - aside from some charter airlines like Thomson, Condor,...

Icelandair is another 757 fan and present at many European airports. But there aren't many others left. In the US, the number of active passenger planes will keep shrinking, too. At least the 757s will be popular as freighters for a long time.

A good thing. Did you use it and more importantly, was it free? (probably not...)

No, it wasn't free of charge. I just logged onto the intro page.

Ah, that’s good, there’s nothing more annoying when on a holiday. And sadly, these things happen quite often.

Yes, happened to me again in March this year - at MUC!

It’s important to do your research! Same here

Not 1 but 2 IFE boxes Wow! No, the window seat is not to be preferred on a long journey...

Definitely not.

I remember that from my trip to NRT this was indeed a tasty drink.

And it's a quite rare drink in the skies.

A popular item it seems as we got this also 2 years ago on our way to Tokyo.

Standard on AZ it seems.

How annoying!

PH

lychemsa

Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:03 am

Wow the dinner you got on AZ looks a lot better than what I got on SWISS or what UNITED / AA serve.

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:23 am

Quoting lychemsa (Reply 11):
Wow the dinner you got on AZ looks a lot better than what I got on SWISS or what UNITED / AA serve.

The meals were indeed very good.

PH

The777Man

Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:32 am

Hi Planehunter!

Thanks for another excellent report with excellent pictures !

Flights on DL look okay; fairly short but nice.

and a very detailed fleet information page:

Looks nice !

Finally, I decided to order a snack box for $7:

Looks like a lot things and great variety for $7.

Due to the disappearance of my suitcase, I wasn't in good mood on that late afternoon. After walking around at the airport for a while and having dinner, we returned to the hotel where the receptionist surprised me with good news: My suitcase had meanwhile showed up again and had already been delivered! That's what I call a happy end!   

Glad you got it back so soon. The ramp people must have off-loaded the bag but someone forgot to drop the bag on the carrousel.

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 2):
On the next morning, we took the hotel shuttle to the nearby water taxi dock. The weather had turned beautiful over night and Boston's skyline looked amazing from there:

Great and scenic way to get to town !

View from our room:

Very impressive from a spotter's point of view…..

The seats were fine initially...

The seats actually look uncomfortable; too bad that was also the case.

I can only wonder why Alitalia put the IFE boxes for both seats under the window seat:

Strange

Front camera view:

Nice with the camera view!

Tasty rosemary crackers were offered along with drinks after a while. Other than on a JFK-FCO flight back in 2008, ginger ale was not available, so I ordered orange juice which is actually a rather tasty blood orange juice on Alitalia:

Very nice drink service! I had the same when I flew LAX-FCO about two years ago.

"Would you like beef or pasta?"

Both meals look very good but I always stay away from pasta since it rarely taste great when heated up like on an airplane.

Thanks again for this great report and looking forward to the next report!

The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

invaders

Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:40 am

Quoting PlaneHunter (Thread starter):
Homeward bound, we added a one-day stopover in Boston. Alitalia offered attractive one-way Economy Class fares and we decided to fly Boston-Rome-Munich (long-haul sector operated by an A330-200), complemented by Munich-Nuremberg on Lufthansa CityLine. Delta was the carrier of choice for the journey from Florida to Boston - mostly because it would operate the ever-exciting 757-200 on the Fort Lauderdale-Atlanta and Atlanta-Boston sectors. Flights from Miami were also more expensive.

Great routing for a trip home, however the cabin of those 752-planes to Delta looks like they are lost in the 90s. But maybe thats why they are so popular, who knows?  
Then we went to the Hilton hotel which is connected directly to the airport. Even though it belongs to the most expensive hotels we have ever booked, the room was very disappointing - tasteless and worn. Definitely the worst Hilton room I have ever stayed in:

I feel that the same is thru for the two Hilton hotels I've used at CPH and LGW. They are(like those delta-planes), lost in the 90s too. Worn down, smelly carpet and a not so nice looking rooms.

Transferring at Fiumicino Airport was not bad in general, but many areas are run down. It would also be a good idea to clean the windows in the gate area:

Indeed, seems like you have travelled back some 20 years in your report.

Anyway, a great and detailed report as usual with lots of good quality pics. Keep em coming  

O

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:54 am

Quoting The777Man (Reply 13):
Thanks for another excellent report with excellent pictures !

Hi Lars, thanks a lot for your nice feedback!

Flights on DL look okay; fairly short but nice.

Looks like a lot things and great variety for $7.

Yes, no reason to complain.

Glad you got it back so soon. The ramp people must have off-loaded the bag but someone forgot to drop the bag on the carrousel.

The bag had passed the carousel scanner, so it must have been there. Most likely another passenger took it away. But who knows.

Great and scenic way to get to town !

And very windy...

Very impressive from a spotter's point of view…..

Unfortunately, I couldn't see any more planes in that corner.

Nice with the camera view!

Still not as nice as a tail camera.  

Both meals look very good but I always stay away from pasta since it rarely taste great when heated up like on an airplane.

Exactly my thinking - but it tasted good this time.

Thanks again for this great report and looking forward to the next report!

Thanks again!

Quoting invaders (Reply 14):
Anyway, a great and detailed report as usual with lots of good quality pics. Keep em coming

Hi O, thanks for your comments! Good to hear you liked it.

Great routing for a trip home, however the cabin of those 752-planes to Delta looks like they are lost in the 90s. But maybe thats why they are so popular, who knows?

I don't mind about the old-style cabins - takeoff power is what counts.  

I feel that the same is thru for the two Hilton hotels I've used at CPH and LGW. They are(like those delta-planes), lost in the 90s too. Worn down, smelly carpet and a not so nice looking rooms.

Good to know. Quite disappointing to see what's sold as Hilton in these days. The one at Mexico City Airport isn't nice either.

Indeed, seems like you have travelled back some 20 years in your report.

Somehow, yes!

PH

emek96

Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:32 pm

Hi PH!

Nice report, I really enjoyed it! Didn't know that DL still perates 757s with such old seats, but I think it looks different, but also nice for a short hop.
About Alitalia I am really impressed, people always told me not fly AZ, but espacially the Long haul sector looked really good, also the catering seems to be quite nice.
Also Boston looks quite good, I had a transfer there 2 years ago, but I sadly did not visit the City, maybe next time.

regards
Elias
Lufthansa is the best airline in the world!

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:42 pm

Quoting emek96 (Reply 16):
Nice report, I really enjoyed it!

Hi Elias, thank you for leaving a reply! Good to hear from you.

Didn't know that DL still perates 757s with such old seats, but I think it looks different, but also nice for a short hop.

Still many planes with old cabins in service, but they are fine for such short sectors.

About Alitalia I am really impressed, people always told me not fly AZ, but espacially the Long haul sector looked really good, also the catering seems to be quite nice.

The product itself is really competitive, but strikes may affect you more often than on other carriers. And in the weeks before our trip, there was a cash crisis...but we weren't seriously concerned because our tickets had been issued by Delta, fortunately.  

Also Boston looks quite good, I had a transfer there 2 years ago, but I sadly did not visit the City, maybe next time.

The city is worth a visit, but it's very expensive.

PH

[Edited 2014-08-12 11:43:20]

reifel

Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:24 pm

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 8):
Good to know! What exactly was so bad?

Hi PH,
It was just extremely old, no maintenance, small room, dust covers everywhere, old style window with noise coming from outside.... And rocket high pricing.

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:29 pm

Quoting reifel (Reply 18):
It was just extremely old, no maintenance, small room, dust covers everywhere, old style window with noise coming from outside.... And rocket high pricing.

Hi again! Thanks, that sounds terrible. I'm wondering why this is tolerated by Hilton.

PH

Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:47 am

Great to see a report from you, PH!

Our plane was former Northwest N552NW, equipped with winglets - one of 133 active frames in the world's largest 757-200 fleet.

As a Silver Medallion frequent traveler with DL out of MSP, I'm used to these old NWA birds. I'd take a 757 over a MD-90 or A320 any day though ...

During boarding, I was positively surprised that the gate agent added my last name after scanning the boarding pass and thanking me. Several flight attendants provided a friendly welcome on board, speaking Italian.

Really nice touch when this happens!

However, it was hard for me to get some rest because flight attendants kept moving in and out, kept opening and closing overhead bins and kept chatting behind their curtain...that was really disturbing, just like numerous passengers who kept passing all the time. Fortunately, it got better after an hour or so.

That's frustrating. When my wife and I flew SAS a few years ago we were near the galley, and were unable to sleep with the constant laughing coming from behind the curtain. I had to finally go and ask if they could be a bit quieter ... after all the entire cabin was dark at this point.

Looks like you had some awesome weather. Boston is a fun city, and great to be there when it's so nice. Alitalia looks to offer a good Y product as well, and food appears to be tasty.

Best,

Matthew
I love to fly!

airbuseric

Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:27 am

PH, that was a good read of your transatlantic crossing and some Delta hops...

DL looks very fine to me, good to score some 757's, most beautiful narrowbody airliner in the world imho!!
I should visit the US more to fly around a bit  
We went to the nearby Delta office, spoke up and the friendly lady told us that someone else may have picked up my suitcase accidentally. "That happens every day", she explained and asked me to file a report. Of course I was really pissed now - but what can you do? The lady was quite optimistic that the case would be brought back on the same day and she promised that it would be delivered straight to our hotel...well, I must admit that I wasn't too optimistic.  

Oops.. "That happens every day"; welcome to America? I think she tried to get a smile on your face by that comment, but it's not suitable for the average passenger I think   Well, I wouldn't be happy at all...

In Indonesia, you cannot leave most airports without staff checking your baggage slip with the tag on your suitcase. It does take an extra 30 seconds to get away from the airport, but basically it is not a bad idea at all. And it creates some jobs again  
I wasn't in good mood on that late afternoon. After walking around at the airport for a while and having dinner, we returned to the hotel where the receptionist surprised me with good news: My suitcase had meanwhile showed up again and had already been delivered!

Well well... , truly great and fast follow up by DL and service how it should be!   

I ordered orange juice which is actually a rather tasty blood orange juice on Alitalia:

I love the bloodorange juice on AZ! Best orange in the sky

the flight attendants sprung into action again and served a small breakfast:

Not much, but the cookies are really tasty! JL used to serve those cookies as well  

Regards
Eric
"The whole world steps aside for the man who knows where he is going"

redzeppelin

Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:23 pm

Thanks for the report!
I have an upcoming flight on AZ's 332, ORD-FCO. As you pointed out, this route is usually operated by the high-density former Air-One birds. My flight is supposed to be on one of those, but FR24 shows that it has been operated by one of the newer birds on most Sundays recently. I'm flying on a Sunday, so I wonder which one I'll get...

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:09 pm

Quoting 767747 (Reply 20):
Great to see a report from you, PH!

Hi Matthew, many thanks for your feedback!

As a Silver Medallion frequent traveler with DL out of MSP, I'm used to these old NWA birds. I'd take a 757 over a MD-90 or A320 any day though ...

I can only agree!

Really nice touch when this happens!

That's frustrating. When my wife and I flew SAS a few years ago we were near the galley, and were unable to sleep with the constant laughing coming from behind the curtain. I had to finally go and ask if they could be a bit quieter ... after all the entire cabin was dark at this point.

The FAs should know better - good decision to speak up.

Looks like you had some awesome weather. Boston is a fun city, and great to be there when it's so nice.

It was a bit cool, but still very nice.

Alitalia looks to offer a good Y product as well, and food appears to be tasty.

Quoting airbuseric (Reply 21):
PH, that was a good read of your transatlantic crossing and some Delta hops...

Hi Eric, thanks for your comments! Good to hear from you.

DL looks very fine to me, good to score some 757's, most beautiful narrowbody airliner in the world imho!!

So true!

I should visit the US more to fly around a bit

Sure, why not? How about a short visit to LAX in October? The777Man and I will be out for spotting a few times.

Oops.. "That happens every day"; welcome to America? I think she tried to get a smile on your face by that comment, but it's not suitable for the average passenger I think Well, I wouldn't be happy at all...

It didn't sound negative in that moment. She was trying to turn me more optimistic. Btw - when I returned from my next US trip in March this year, someone took away my suitcase from the belt at MUC. Got it back in the end, but you really have to wonder about some people. I will go into detail in my next series.

In Indonesia, you cannot leave most airports without staff checking your baggage slip with the tag on your suitcase. It does take an extra 30 seconds to get away from the airport, but basically it is not a bad idea at all. And it creates some jobs again

That would make sense all over the world...but would be rated too expensive Europe and the US.

Well well... , truly great and fast follow up by DL and service how it should be!

Absolutely!

I love the bloodorange juice on AZ! Best orange in the sky

It's not as sweet as other juices, that's why I like it.

Quoting redzeppelin (Reply 22):
Thanks for the report!

Thanks for commenting, redzeppelin!

Quoting redzeppelin (Reply 22):
I have an upcoming flight on AZ's 332, ORD-FCO. As you pointed out, this route is usually operated by the high-density former Air-One birds. My flight is supposed to be on one of those, but FR24 shows that it has been operated by one of the newer birds on most Sundays recently. I'm flying on a Sunday, so I wonder which one I'll get...

It's hard to find out whether these planes have meanwhile been refurbished. At least they were repainted, one of them even wears Skyteam colors. I certainly hope you'll get a new cabin!

PH

[Edited 2014-08-13 12:14:03]

lpdal

Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:51 am

Hi Udo,

In have only been there for spotting by car, never landed/departed. How are the fares?

Fares are higher than FLL due to the proximity of FLL and ops at that airport itself, but PBI is much, much more posh than FLL despite the smaller size of the location. This was in part due to the city of Palm Beach doing whatever it was necessary to lure passengers to the airport. Looks like the project has paid off well:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3851/14819121246_ac08b98145_c.jpg
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3850/14725179098_87c0c7b7cc_c.jpg
Checkin area

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3906/14911422752_5d6dfb43bb_c.jpg
They turned the downstairs pre-TSA/Airport Security area into a faux Floridian "village" housing Florida-themed shops.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5571/14725128389_5e1bcbbf66_c.jpg
Putting green

That's really disappointing - they could at least offer a proper breakfast or a sandwich plus salad on a 1:30 hrs flight.

Nope--here's the extent of what you'll be getting upfront on the same FLL-ATL flight   :

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8286/7502868228_e18681d865_c.jpg

-LPDAL
TWU represented. All of my views and posted content are mine alone, and should not be viewed as official communication from my employer, its subsidiaries thereof, or any other entities or airlines.

OA260

Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:22 pm

Hey great report  

Nice to see AZ and how they are these days. Not too many reports on them recently.

The meals looked better than I expected just a shame about the IFE boxes. Nice pics of Boston, love that city.  

On the second flight you would have thought they would put on the moving map rather than just flickering screens. It would be much appreciated by many Im sure.

It certainly will be interesting to see how their product develops under EY , lets hope its positive.

Regards

Philip  

ba319-131

Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:22 pm

Hi PH,

Great read and pictures, glad I found the time to give it a read.

- Yikes, not easy to view outside.

We took off after a relatively quick taxi process and passed the Renaissance Airport Hotel which is excellent for spotting:

- Oh yes, spent a few days spotting there a few years back, must find an excuse to stay there again.

I wasn't hungry, but I wanted to buy something out of curiosity. Here's what they had on offer:
I decided to order a snack box for $7:
It contained a nice mix of items, but I can tell that the American Nutella version cannot match the German one...

- Hmm, nothing looks that healthy there....

Due to the disappearance of my suitcase, I wasn't in good mood on that late afternoon. After walking around at the airport for a while and having dinner, we returned to the hotel where the receptionist surprised me with good news: My suitcase had meanwhile showed up again and had already been delivered! That's what I call a happy end!

- Result!

33rd A330 flight

- 33rd, very impressive!

Despite our low fare, we were offered an upgrade to the carrier's lie-flat Magnifica Class ($500 per person) or Classica Plus Premium Economy ($250 per person) on the transatlantic leg

- $500 for JCL, what a steal!

"Would you like beef or pasta?", a friendly flight attendant asked me during dinner service. I decided to try the former, but this is what I got surprisingly - definitely chicken:

- Looks pretty decent offering, much better looking than other Y class meal's I have seen of late.

Cheers

Mark
111 732 733 734 735 736 73G 738 739,7M8 BBJ 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 764 772 77L 773 77W L15 D10 D30 D40 AB3 AB6 312 313 318 319 320 20N 321 21N 332 333 342 343 345 346 359 351 388 CS1 CS3 I86 154 SSJ CRJ CR7 CR9 CRK 145 170 175 220

roberts87

Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:59 pm

Hello PH,

Great report as always! Good performance by DL I'd say, still the best domestic carrier amongst the legacies in the US in my book. AZ seems pretty decent as well too, they get same bashing here at A.net but they them seem on par with other European airlines. Nice shots of Boston as well, looks like you picked a great season to visit!

adamspotter

Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:51 pm

Hi PH!

Another great report you made here with many nice pictures!
Looks like you had 2 standard flights on DL, always nice to catch some 757s on such short hops. DL is always my preferred carrier when flying domestic in the US  
Alitalia actually looks better than I expected. Both meals look quite tasty and the crew don't sound too bad either! That breakfast looks like a joke though.
You made some very beautiful pictures of Boston, I'm a huge fan myself. Boston is definitely one of my favorite US cities  
and a very detailed fleet information page

No mistakes there  
The MD-90 looks really cool from behind, doesn't it?

Very sexy  
but I can tell that the American Nutella version cannot match the German one...

That's for sure!

Then we went to the Hilton hotel which is connected directly to the airport. Even though it belongs to the most expensive hotels we have ever booked, the room was very disappointing - tasteless and worn.

I find many Hiltons I have visited to be below par, especially considering the premium price you pay for it!

After receiving our boarding passes, we went back to a staircase in the connecting passage between Terminals B and C. The location is great for spotting - hardly anybody needs to pass there, so you can use binoculars without worries

Didn't know of that place, will keep it in mind!

Thanks as always for sharing!

cheers,

Brendan

Flightsimboy

Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:58 pm

Hey PH. I think this one slipped under the radar, glad to have caught it! Alitalia has been sending the gorgeous Sky Team liveried aircraft to YYZ and it's always a pleasure to see it!

Alitalia seems good, live camera views, good food, IFE, what more can one want in Y! Now that curtained off area in the middle of the aircraft makes more sense than in the window seats. This closed off area matches the galleys in the middle of the aircraft and does not suddenly break the harmony within the cabin. Sorry to hear that the crews were chatty.

I had the first ginger ale of the day:

Cheers!!

American Nutella version cannot match the German one...

PH approved  .

Lovely colors, lovely scenery:

The fall colours are always the best! I wonder if the Japanese Charter flights will be making their appearance this year with plane loads of tourist, going to photograph the fall colours.

Great views of Boston shortly after liftoff:

Magnificent views.

definitely worth a picture:

Ah and so we get to see more and more of PH on this series of reports!

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 4):
Alitalia had left a good impression on a long-haul journey in 2008 and I also rate this recent journey positively. Flight attendants and ground staff members were friendly and helpful, catering was decent (apart from the breakfast) and entertainment options were satisfying. However, seating comfort was not sufficient on the long-haul sector and I wouldn't want to spend 10 hours or more in such a seat. Let's wait and see how Alitalia's product will change under assistance of Etihad Airways.

I am sure they will be in good hands with EY!! When do you plan to fly Etihad Airways?
LAX772LR - "Answer to goofy question:" in response to my question about the B737-MAX8 being grounded. 48 hours later all B737-MAX8 grounded worldwide. Go figure!!

eastafspot

Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:27 pm

Must be disgusting for many Italians who are used to good coffee. AZ still had a good one in 2008.

Hope for them it's only temporary.

Yes, too bad it doesn't exist everywhere around the globe. Believe it nor not, on another trip in March this year it happened again. Someone took my suitcase at MUC and left. I got it back in the end, but it was still very annoying. Details to follow in part II of my new series.

Jeez you are unlucky, i've noticed that now people who carry suitcase with a generic color, put a patterned ribbon or fabric to recognize it. Is the series where you flew first class ?

Yes, there are enough people who rate binoculars suspicious. I have experienced that several times since 9/11.

How silly, why can't you watch metalic birds peacefully  ???

Row 32 should still be fine.

Thanks for the further precision !
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:56 am

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 24):
Fares are higher than FLL due to the proximity of FLL and ops at that airport itself, but PBI is much, much more posh than FLL despite the smaller size of the location. This was in part due to the city of Palm Beach doing whatever it was necessary to lure passengers to the airport. Looks like the project has paid off well:

Hi Colby, thanks for the additional pieces of information and the pictures. PBI looks great, should fly there one day.

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 24):
Nope--here's the extent of what you'll be getting upfront on the same FLL-ATL flight

Really disappointing!

Quoting OA260 (Reply 25):
Hey great report

Hi Philip, thanks for your comments!

Nice to see AZ and how they are these days. Not too many reports on them recently.

Yes, despite the fact that many people used their error fares.

Nice pics of Boston, love that city.

Thanks!

On the second flight you would have thought they would put on the moving map rather than just flickering screens. It would be much appreciated by many Im sure.

Absolutely, yes.

It certainly will be interesting to see how their product develops under EY , lets hope its positive.

That will be interesting. But I'm skeptical of the continuing financial support for loss-making carriers.

Quoting ba319-131 (Reply 26):
Great read and pictures, glad I found the time to give it a read.

Hi Mark, thanks a lot, good to hear from you!

Oh yes, spent a few days spotting there a few years back, must find an excuse to stay there again.

I'm sure you will!

Hmm, nothing looks that healthy there....

No. But what did you expect?  

- 33rd, very impressive!

Yes, had the A330 many times. Certainly one of my favorites.

- $500 for JCL, what a steal!

The offer wasn't bad, that's true.

- Looks pretty decent offering, much better looking than other Y class meal's I have seen of late.

I have never seen a bad AZ meal.

Quoting roberts87 (Reply 27):
Great report as always!

Thank you, Robert!

Good performance by DL I'd say, still the best domestic carrier amongst the legacies in the US in my book.

It certainly belongs to the best over there.

AZ seems pretty decent as well too, they get same bashing here at A.net but they them seem on par with other European airlines.

As long as you make it into the plane without any strikes, AZ is indeed fine. Our tickets had been issued by DL, so we were on the safe side.  

Nice shots of Boston as well, looks like you picked a great season to visit!

Yes, would like to go there again to see more of New England.

Quoting adamspotter (Reply 28):
Another great report you made here with many nice pictures!

Hi Brendan, many thanks for your comments!

Looks like you had 2 standard flights on DL, always nice to catch some 757s on such short hops.

Alitalia actually looks better than I expected. Both meals look quite tasty and the crew don't sound too bad either! That breakfast looks like a joke though.

AZ was indeed better than expected.

You made some very beautiful pictures of Boston, I'm a huge fan myself. Boston is definitely one of my favorite US cities

I definitely want to go there again.

No mistakes there

Not this time...

Very sexy

I find many Hiltons I have visited to be below par, especially considering the premium price you pay for it!

Times have changed, unfortunately. In former times, you could rely on Hilton quality.

Quoting flightsimboy (Reply 29):
Hey PH. I think this one slipped under the radar, glad to have caught it!

Hi flightsimboy, good to hear from you! I'm glad you found the report.

Alitalia has been sending the gorgeous Sky Team liveried aircraft to YYZ and it's always a pleasure to see it!

I can only agree.

Alitalia seems good, live camera views, good food, IFE, what more can one want in Y!

Better seating comfort!

Cheers!!
PH approved
The fall colours are always the best!

Magnificent views.

Yes, pure luck it was.

Ah and so we get to see more and more of PH on this series of reports!

Don't expect to see more...  

I am sure they will be in good hands with EY!! When do you plan to fly Etihad Airways?

I flew EY back in 2005 when it was still small and widely unknown. Got the first factory fresh A332 on the FRA-AUH-FRA sectors.

Quoting eastafspot (Reply 30):
Hope for them it's only temporary.

Hi again, Léonard. That's what I hope, too.

Jeez you are unlucky, i've noticed that now people who carry suitcase with a generic color, put a patterned ribbon or fabric to recognize it. Is the series where you flew first class ?

I have learned my lesson. Yes, it happened after returning from the US.

How silly, why can't you watch metalic birds peacefully

Good question...

PH