Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Knightsofmalta
Topic Author

Air New Zealand Business Class To Auckland

Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:47 am

Folie1

INTRODUCTION

I spend my last day in Australia walking through the streets of Perth and visiting the lovely King’s Park. What always impresses me in Australia is just how health conscious people generally are. If you are out in the street around lunchtime, you really have to watch out to avoid being run over by one of the many runners.

IMG_3860

GETTING TO THE AIRPORT
Transport:
public transport bus, bus lines 37 and 40
Depart from: the corner of William Street and St Georges Terrace, stand C
Frequency: every 30 minutes
Journey time: 35 minutes + 15 minutes
Fare: AUD4.40

I have plenty of time to spare for my 19:25 departure to Auckland, so I figure I might as well try getting to the airport by public transport. The bus lines 37 and 40 both make the journey from the centre of Perth to the airport. However, the 37 takes 15 minutes longer to complete the trip.

IMG_3872

IMG_3873

Both busses only run to the domestic terminals 3 and 4. To reach terminal 1, which handles all the international flights, you need to changes busses upon arrival at terminals 3 and 4. The connecting bus stops just a bit further up from where the bus from the city arrives. The transfer shuttle is painted orange and white. Make sure you get on to the right bus though, as there is another one in the same colours which only goes to the long-term parking.

IMG_3874

IMG_3883

IMG_3882

CHECK-IN
Facilities: web check-in and mobile check-in not available
Counters: The check-in counters for the flight to Auckland only open two hours and thirty minutes before departure. There are seven counters in total, two of which are reserved for Business Class passengers and status card holders.

IMG_3878

IMG_3880

IMG_3884

IMG_3885

LOUNGE
Type of Lounge:
QANTAS lounge
Facilities:
business centre, showers, hot and cold food, selection of hot and cold drinks
Internet:
available without password, the airport also has its own free network

IMG_3886

Air New Zealand uses the QANTAS lounge in Perth. The only other lounge in the international terminal is the one belonging to Emirates, next door. The food options in the lounge are pretty good, with an interesting selection of Mediterranean antipasti. The showers are stocked with Molton Brown toiletries, which smell really nice. I think I may have to stock up next time I am in London. Towels for the shower are also provided upon request at reception and I am surprised at how fluffy they are.

IMG_3887

IMG_3888

IMG_3889

IMG_3893

IMG_3894

IMG_3896

IMG_3895

BOARDING
Priority Boarding:
separate lane for Business Class passengers and status card holders, boarding sequence is enforced

IMG_3900

CABIN
Configuration:
1 + 2 + 1
Seat: 26 seats – All seats face inward to the aisle. For the window seats this means that outside views are difficult without contorting your neck into a painful position. Furthermore, due to the layout of the seats pointing towards each other, you may feel slightly exposed, there is really not much privacy. And if you try to stretch your legs when the seat is in the upright position, you end up with your feet sticking out and obstructing the aisle.
Pitch: 79.5 inches
Length as a bed: 79.5 inches
Width: 22 inches
Recline: 180 degrees
Facilities: power outlet, reading lamp, overhead lamp
Audio and Video: AVOD, touch screen or remote controlled

For sure the Business Class cabin Air New Zealand has installed is spectacular to look at. The mood lighting adds to the atmosphere. Even so, I do not think I will ever be a fan of the herringbone. For one, everything seems to be in a slightly awkward position. There is a small foldable table for drinks underneath the reading lamp, which is good. But it is just a bit too far back for you to be able to reach it comfortably. For another, using the seat is far from intuitive. I take my seat and find myself looking around trying to figure out where the table is, how to open the table, how to switch off the lights, find the remote control, etc.. And thirdly, there is not enough storage space in the seat.

IMG_3902

IMG_3903

IMG_3904

IMG_3906

IMG_3914

SERVICE

The crew on this flight are simply excellent, stupendous, brilliant, personable and very hospitable. From the moment you board the aircraft the crew make you welcome, in fact stepping aboard feels more like entering a friend’s living room.

A pillow, the vanity kit and the earphones have already been placed at my seat when I arrive. The steward comes to ask me if I would like a welcome drink. He introduces himself to me and gives me the names of the other crew serving the Business Class cabin on today’s flight.

IMG_3918

IMG_3920

VANITY KIT
Brand:
no name
Content: Clarins cosmetics, toothbrush and toothpaste, eye shades and some pretty funky, colourful socks, pen, ear plugs

IMG_3915

IMG_3917

IMG_3922

IMG_3925

THE MEAL
Welcome drink on the ground:
orange juice, water or sparkling wine
Hot towel before the meal: served on the ground before departure
Pre-meal drink:
Perrier, orders for the pre meal drink are taken while the aircraft is still on the ground
Choice:
only one choice for the starter, three choices for the main course (no vegetarian option) and three options for dessert
Delivery:
tray service
Type of meal:
dinner, hot meal
Meal:

• Amuse bouche of nuts, dried fig, piece of cheddar, pickled vegetables

• Lemongrass poached chicken breast with rice noodles, cucumber and coconut dressing, crispy shallots

• Seared beef filet with wasabi crumbs, rustic roasted potatoes, minted green pea purée

• Gourmet ice cream dessert of English toffee crunch and chocolate fudge ice cream

• Selection from the breadbasket

• Tohu Noble Riesling 2011, Raiha Reserve

The size and the quality of the meal is quite amazing. The noodle starter is unusual and very refreshing. The beef for the main course is very nicely cooked and the wasabi crust goes surprisingly well with the beef. The carrots have managed to remain crisp and crunchy.

IMG_3930

IMG_3931

IMG_3932

IMG_3933

IMG_3934

IMG_3935

IMG_3940

IMG_3941

The steward removes my tray and asks me if I’ll be having dessert. I answer by explaining that I’m torn between the ice cream and the white chocolate and amaretto cheesecake with cherry sauce topping. To which he answers that in no way is he trying to twist my arm, however he could give me a plate of each. But I resist the temptation and the kind offer and eventually settle for the ice cream, which is rich and creamy. To drink I have the Tohu Riesling dessert wine, which is truly exquisite. It is the kind of stuff you could go on drinking all night.

IMG_3943

IMG_3944

After that I go change into my pyjamas. In the meantime, the crew convert my seat into a bed. Before I turn in, the steward asks me if I would like to be woken for breakfast.

IMG_3945

IMG_3947

SECOND SERVICE

The second service starts about 50 minutes out of Auckland. It is a simple affair: just a cup of coffee, an orange juice and a warm Danish pastry. But it serves its purpose well.

IMG_3950

IMG_3951

IMG_3949

ARRIVAL

Apparently it is quite a windy day in Auckland today, with winds of up to 100 km/h. So our approach is quite bumpy. We land more or less on time and it is only now that I realise that my brain is having trouble coping with the idea that I have actually arrived on the other wise of the planet.

IMG_3955

IMG_3956

I now have a layover of seven hours here in Auckland before my onward connection. But that is alright because my old friend A. is expecting me.

VERDICT

So what about Air New Zealand? I think they really rock and that is mainly due to the crew. Everybody on board the aircraft was such so friendly and helpful. The only thing I really do not like is the seat – it lacks privacy, comfort and convenience.

jrfspa320

RE: Air New Zealand Business Class To Auckland

Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:23 am

Nice report, anz service looks pretty good.
Glad you enjoyed perth, the bus isn't a bad way of getting to the airport, a direct service to T1-T2 will start once the new virgin domestic terminal opens. The international terminal is fairly average compared to Bne , syd or mel, but is slowly getting upgraded. There is also an MH and SQ lounge but down the other end  

Knightsofmalta
Topic Author

Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:22 pm

Hi jrfspa

Quoting jrfspa320 (Reply 1):
Nice report, anz service looks pretty good.

Thanks. I thought ANZ were definitely pretty good.

Glad you enjoyed perth,

Absolutely, it's just such a nicely laid out city.

a direct service to T1-T2 will start once the new virgin domestic terminal opens.

So that's the construction site between terminals 1 and 2?

There is also an MH and SQ lounge but down the other end

Thanks for the correction. I didn't see those. I was wondering if SQ would stoop so low and send its passengers to another carrier's lounge.

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Cheers,
William

jrfspa320

Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:52 am

Quoting knightsofmalta (Reply 2):
So that's the construction site between terminals 1 and 2?

Yes, but like most things in WA its over budget and late...

agrflyer

Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:06 am

Once again thanks for your great reports.

Quoting knightsofmalta (Thread starter):
The crew on this flight are simply excellent, stupendous, brilliant, personable and very hospitable. From the moment you board the aircraft the crew make you welcome, in fact stepping aboard feels more like entering a friend’s living room

Some years ago I flew NZ from LHR to HKG in J and I had the same experience about their service. One particular flight attendant recognized me as being a Swiss because I was reading a Swiss newspaper and we found out later that he grew up in a village in Switzerland which was very close to the place I grew up before his family moved to New Zealand.

Enjoy your time on the Southern Hemisphere!
July 2018, A3 C-Class ZRH-ATH-TLV-ATH-VIE
July 2018, OS C-Class VIE-ZRH
September 2018, ZRH-MXP-VIE-YYZ-LGA / JFK-VIE-ZRH on OS, LX and AC in Y and C

lychemsa

Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:37 am

Is Perth worth a visit?

It's far from the rest of Australia.

I did not go when I was in Australia.

Knightsofmalta
Topic Author

Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:18 pm

Hi jrspa

Quoting jrfspa320 (Reply 3):
Yes, but like most things in WA its over budget and late...

Sounds a bit like the European Union actually...

Hi agrflyer

Quoting agrflyer (Reply 4):
Once again thanks for your great reports.

Thanks, my pleasure.

Some years ago I flew NZ from LHR to HKG in J and I had the same experience about their service. One particular flight attendant recognized me as being a Swiss because I was reading a Swiss newspaper and we found out later that he grew up in a village in Switzerland which was very close to the place I grew up before his family moved to New Zealand.

I think that's what is so appealing about Air NZ, their crews are very personable and put you at ease straight away.

Enjoy your time on the Southern Hemisphere!

I'm working on it.

Hi Lychemsa

Quoting lychemsa (Reply 5):
Is Perth worth a visit?

I'm probably not the best person to ask because I like Australia. Don't think I've ever been to a city I didn't like. But I think it's worth it. The city is nicely laid out and the location on the Swan river is very nice.

Quoting lychemsa (Reply 5):
It's far from the rest of Australia.

They seem to be quite proud of that, and will quickly tell you that they are the remotest city in the world.

Thanks for commenting.

Cheers,
William

newbief1yer

Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:15 pm

Great report. Very easy to read, as most of the reading is done via your well balanced proportion of pictures.

So what about Air New Zealand? I think they really rock and that is mainly due to the crew. Everybody on board the aircraft was such so friendly and helpful. The only thing I really do not like is the seat – it lacks privacy, comfort and convenience

Exactly my same feeling, with my limited experience on Air NewZealand.

zkncj

Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:01 pm

Quoting knightsofmalta (Reply 2):
Thanks for the correction. I didn't see those. I was wondering if SQ would stoop so low and send its passengers to another carrier's lounge.

SQ currently flys AKL-SIN-AKL double daily and use NZ's over crowed lounge.

Knightsofmalta
Topic Author

Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:37 am

Hi newbief1er

Quoting newbief1yer (Reply 7):
Great report. Very easy to read, as most of the reading is done via your well balanced proportion of pictures.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm never sure if perhaps I write too much.

Hi zkncj

Quoting zkncj (Reply 8):
SQ currently flys AKL-SIN-AKL double daily and use NZ's over crowed lounge.

Actually my general impression of Auckland airport is that the entire facility is overcrowded, even with the recent expansion and upgrade!

Thanks for commenting.

Cheers,
William

infodesk

Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:41 am

Hi William,

I see you’ve been busy posting recently and I have a few interesting reports of yours to catch up on. I just had to start with ANZ first!

Your experience onboard is exactly what I would expect from them, quite simply something to remember. The food looks super, beautifully presented and the crew, that Kiwi hospitality is what makes it so special. The only thing that surprises me is that there’s no vegi option for the main course.

Love the amenity kit, especially the funky socks and that cool sleeping mask.

The mood lighting adds to the atmosphere. Even so, I do not think I will ever be a fan of the herringbone.

To me it just makes the cabin look cramped.

Gourmet ice cream dessert of English toffee crunch and chocolate fudge ice cream

Oh, divine! My mouth is watering already….

I answer by explaining that I’m torn between the ice cream and the white chocolate and amaretto cheesecake with cherry sauce topping. To which he answers that in no way is he trying to twist my arm, however he could give me a plate of each. But I resist the temptation and the kind offer and eventually settle for the ice cream, which is rich and creamy.

You’re a strong man. I wouldn’t have been able to resist that offer  
We land more or less on time and it is only now that I realise that my brain is having trouble coping with the idea that I have actually arrived on the other wise of the planet.

Yep, I remember that feeling too!

Hope you enjoyed the short time in Auckland and I’m looking forward to reading about your sojourn in the Pacific!

Happy flying
Infodesk   
"Do nothing in haste, look well to each step and from the beginning think what may be the end" - Edward Whymper

Knightsofmalta
Topic Author

Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:47 am

Hi Hannah

Quoting infodesk (Reply 10):
I see you’ve been busy posting recently and I have a few interesting reports of yours to catch up on. I just had to start with ANZ first!

Yes, I've been rather busy. Fortunately I'm on Bora Bora now to recuperate...

Your experience onboard is exactly what I would expect from them, quite simply something to remember. The food looks super, beautifully presented and the crew, that Kiwi hospitality is what makes it so special.

That's exactly what I thought as I got on board: typical Kiwi hospitality at its best.

The only thing that surprises me is that there’s no vegi option for the main course.

That was strange. I did ask the steward and he looked at me as though I'd asked him something obscene.

Love the amenity kit, especially the funky socks and that cool sleeping mask.

Those funky socks are the best. Not sure what they go with though...

To me it just makes the cabin look cramped.

It doesn't feel cramped when you're actually sitting down. But there's just no privacy.

Oh, divine! My mouth is watering already….

Normally desserts tend to be rubbish on a plane. But you can hardly go wrong with ice cream.

You’re a strong man. I wouldn’t have been able to resist that offer

Yes, I felt really smug after...

Yep, I remember that feeling too!

No imagine what it was like crossing the dateline to get to Tahiti. Suddenly we were two hour ahead - but on the previous day...

Hope you enjoyed the short time in Auckland and I’m looking forward to reading about your sojourn in the Pacific!

Auckland was great. We went to Takapuna Beach, which was lovely. My friend is getting married in February, so I'll probably return then for the wedding.

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Cheers,
William

adamspotter

Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:25 pm

Hi William,

Another great report you made here, really enjoyed it! ANZ J class looks very nice although I agree with you that the seat does lack privacy. Love the lighting in the cabin as well!

cheers,

Brendan

Knightsofmalta
Topic Author

Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:15 am

Hi Brendan

Quoting adamspotter (Reply 12):
Another great report you made here, really enjoyed it!

Thank you, glad you enjoyed the read.

Quoting adamspotter (Reply 12):
Love the lighting in the cabin as well!

The mood lighting was cool. Although to be honest, by the end of the flight I was gagging for some normal light.

Cheers,
William

rogerbcn

Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:05 am

Hola William!

Nice to see a report on NZ; it is a favorite of mine, although I have to admit I have never flown them, but they have this exotic look, probably because I live on the other side of the world and it attracts me, but their commercials and some of their safety videos are really awesome productions... There is the price issue though, I have been looking at their prices to LAX and they are terribly expensive compared to others.

The only major disappointment is the seat facing the aisle instaed of the window, I guess they are so proud of their service that they want you to face it... It is the only reasonable explanantion that comes to my mind.

Nice to see the food, which looks really nice and well presented.

You are really a brave man, I wouldn't benn able to resist the tempataion of two desserts in one serving... Bravo! BTW; nice to see they produce olive oil New Zealand, I had no idea they grow olive tress in New Zealand. Do you remember what it tastes like compared to the Mediterranean one?

Salut!

Roger
"At reise er at leve" H.C. Andersen (Traveling is Living)

Knightsofmalta
Topic Author

Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:03 pm

Hi Roger

Quoting rogerbcn (Reply 14):
Nice to see a report on NZ; it is a favorite of mine, although I have to admit I have never flown them, but they have this exotic look, probably because I live on the other side of the world and it attracts me, but their commercials and some of their safety videos are really awesome productions...

That's exactly the image I have of Air New Zealand. Those adverts with that squirrel (or what ever creature it's supposed to be...) are just brilliant. And I love the safety on board video with the All Blacks and the granny.

The only major disappointment is the seat facing the aisle instaed of the window, I guess they are so proud of their service that they want you to face it... It is the only reasonable explanantion that comes to my mind.

Well, it's probably a compromise between making the best of the space available and providing as much comfort as possible. I think the herringbone does achieve that.

You are really a brave man, I wouldn't benn able to resist the tempataion of two desserts in one serving... Bravo!

I'm in training to improve my self-control...

BTW; nice to see they produce olive oil New Zealand, I had no idea they grow olive tress in New Zealand. Do you remember what it tastes like compared to the Mediterranean one?

I couldn't notice the difference to be honest. But I do think there are differences in the Mediterranean ones. I like the Italian ones the most I'd say.

Thanks for commenting.

Cheers,
William