Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Knightsofmalta
Topic Author

Air Tahiti: Bora Bora To Papeete

Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:40 am

Folie1

INTRODUCTION
Today I must leave this heavenly place and move on. I step outside onto the veranda and cannot help but wonder if this is what Adam and Eve must have felt like when they were informed that they had been evicted. At least I have enough time for one last swim in the pristine waters of Bora Bora before my flight departs back to Papeete at 12:30.

IMG_4293

IMG_4294

IMG_4296

IMG_4300

I should also like to point out that this is in fact the only backtracking flight I am making on this entire trip. Not to put too fine a point on it.

GETTING TO THE AIRPORT
Transport:
boat
Departs from: Pearl Beach Resort pontoon
Frequency: when ever there is a flight leaving
Journey time: 10 minutes
Fare: ca. CHF15

The boat to the airport leaves at 11:30, one hour before the scheduled departure time. My initial thought is that this might be cutting it just a bit fine. Then I remember we are actually talking about a facility here with just one departure gate. So I think I will manage.

IMG_4301

IMG_4307

IMG_4308

IMG_4310

IMG_4311

IMG_4315

IMG_4316

CHECK-IN
on the right hand side of the souvenir shop
Facilities: apparently web check-in is available
Counters: there are three counters, two of which are open

I have some good news and I have some bad news. The bad news is that there is no premium lounge at all in this facility. The good news is – and personally I think this outweighs the lack of a lounge by far – is that there is no security check either! That is just brilliant, I have never experienced that in all my life. Yes, if you have done web check-in, you can walk straight from the boat pier to the departure gate and the aircraft beyond, a distance of about 500 metres.

IMG_4317

IMG_4318

IMG_4319

IMG_4320

IMG_4324

IMG_4325

BOARDING
Priority Boarding:
available for families with children up to twelve years of age and passengers in need of assistance.

IMG_4326

The little terminal is just about bursting at the seam; I figure it is going to be a full flight out of Bora Bora today. As on the outbound, the flight is free seating, which means I have to make a choice between getting aboard as soon as possible to get a window seat or to let everybody go ahead while I take some pictures of the aircraft flying me to Papeete today. Eventually I go with the latter.

IMG_4327

IMG_4329

IMG_4331

IMG_4332

IMG_4333

CABIN
I have seen this cabin before. Not on this trip. But I definitely recognise the pattern on the bulkhead. It only daws on me upon arrival in Papeete, as I exit the aircraft, that I have seen the same bulkhead pattern on a Vietnam Airlines ATR 72 on a flight from Con Dao to Hanoi. What I do not know, is if this mean the aircraft previously flew in Vietnam or if perhaps this is the standard ‘house’ design for the ATR 72 unless something else is specified by the operator.

IMG_4334

IMG_4335

IMG_4338

IMG_4339

SERVICE
There is not really very much to say about the crew, service is minimal but delivered with a smile. Other than that though, the flight is hardly long enough to enable any sort of interaction with the crew.

With a block time of fifty minutes, this sector is Air Tahiti’s equivalent of a long-haul flight. Consequently, this means that passengers are offered a free cup of pineapple juice. Other drinks and snacks, such as biscuits or crisps, are available to buy on board, at approximately CHF3.-.

IMG_4336

IMG_4337

ARRIVAL
The airport is pretty busy when we land. There is an Air Tahiti Nui A 340-300 receiving some TLC on the maintenance apron, and Air Tahiti’s sole ATR 42 is just about to move off stand as soon as we get out of the way.

It is only a short walk from the aircraft to the baggage reclaim belt and the suitcases start arriving shortly after. I grab my bag and head outside to catch a taxi to the hotel.

IMG_4340

IMG_4341

IMG_4342

IMG_4343

IMG_4345

GETTING INTO TOWN
Transport:
taxi; M. if you are reading this, there really is no public transport to my hotel – honest
Departs from: taxi bay just outside domestic arrivals
Journey time: 10 minutes
Fare: CHF15

In Papeete I shall be spending yet another night at the Intercontinental. It is quite amazing just how different everything looks in the daylight. I have a room on the second floor, facing the water. From here I have an excellent view of the Pacific Ocean and Moorea in the distance.

IMG_4350

IMG_4351

debonair

RE: Air Tahiti: Bora Bora To Papeete

Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:55 am

WOW! The pictures leaves me speechless!! OUTSTANDING!

Quoting knightsofmalta (Thread starter):
CABIN
I have seen this cabin before. Not on this trip. But I definitely recognise the pattern on the bulkhead. It only daws on me upon arrival in Papeete, as I exit the aircraft, that I have seen the same bulkhead pattern on a Vietnam Airlines ATR 72 on a flight from Con Dao to Hanoi. What I do not know, is if this mean the aircraft previously flew in Vietnam or if perhaps this is the standard ‘house’ design for the ATR 72 unless something else is specified by the operator.

AFAIK the a/c never flew for Vietnam Air...
It's the ATR "house" design, you will find it also with firefly, binter etc. - just compare and let me know:

The Long Detour Home On Firefly, Kuwait & Mandala (by yapple Feb 13 2014 in Trip Reports)?threadid=249705&searchid=250115&s=firefly#ID250115

adamspotter

Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:52 pm

Hi William,

Another beautiful report you made here, really enjoyed it!
Looks like you had such a nice and relaxing time in Bora Bora, I'm sure you wouldn't mind spending some more time there! The pictures of the crystal clear water are amazing.
Not much to say about the short hop down back to Papeete, nice to get a free drink though

Thanks again for sharing!

cheers,

Brendan

CARST

Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:17 pm

Great, another good one! Can't get enough of the photos from these Islands. Next time include some destination photos, please, just for me! haha

Sorry that you had to leave paradise "too early". But this is always the case with so wonderful holiday destinations. I know this Feeling all to well, especially, because work is waiting at home. ^^

Knightsofmalta
Topic Author

Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:55 am

Hi Debonair

Quoting debonair (Reply 1):
WOW! The pictures leaves me speechless!! OUTSTANDING!

Thanks. That's more or less how I felt when I arrived in Bora Bora, I literally didn't know what to say!

Quoting debonair (Reply 1):
AFAIK the a/c never flew for Vietnam Air...
It's the ATR "house" design, you will find it also with firefly, binter etc. - just compare and let me know:

Thanks for the link, you're right, it's the same design.

Hi Brendan

Quoting adamspotter (Reply 2):
Another beautiful report you made here, really enjoyed it!

Thanks, glad you liked it.

Looks like you had such a nice and relaxing time in Bora Bora, I'm sure you wouldn't mind spending some more time there! The pictures of the crystal clear water are amazing.

There's nothing much to do in Bora Bora, and that's what makes it so relaxing. You can just sit there and do as you like all day.

Thanks again for sharing!

My pleasure.

Hi Carsten

Quoting CARST (Reply 3):
Great, another good one! Can't get enough of the photos from these Islands. Next time include some destination photos, please, just for me! haha

Actually, a colleague from work threatened me that he would go insane if I posted one more picture with beautiful plam trees and pristine beaches...

Quoting CARST (Reply 3):
Sorry that you had to leave paradise "too early". But this is always the case with so wonderful holiday destinations. I know this Feeling all to well, especially, because work is waiting at home. ^^

Well, one must look on the positive side. If you don't get enough the first time round, there nothing for it: you'll have to go again!

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Cheers,
William

rogerbcn

Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:21 am

Hola William!

Great report!

Love the taxi run to the airport and the facility itself... Just brilliant!

I really like the headrests, they ceratinly add a touch of exotism to this already exotic landscape.

Certainly one of the most beautiful islands on earth. Thanks for posting!

Salut!

Roger
"At reise er at leve" H.C. Andersen (Traveling is Living)

Knightsofmalta
Topic Author

Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:20 pm

Hi Roger

Quoting rogerbcn (Reply 5):
Great report!

Thanks!

Love the taxi run to the airport and the facility itself... Just brilliant!

That boat is rather cool. When you arrive in Bora Bora they even make an announcement on the plane that the transfer will be by boat.

I really like the headrests, they ceratinly add a touch of exotism to this already exotic landscape.

Yes, it helps to brighten up the cabin.

Certainly one of the most beautiful islands on earth. Thanks for posting!

Very definitely so. But it's not just that the place is so beautiful. It's also so unusual to be surrounded by water and knowing that you are really very far away from anywhere.

Thanks for commenting.

Cheers,
William

yapple

Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:41 am

Hi William,

Nice report as usual regarding Air Tahiti!

Bora Bora has been on my bucket list for years (not that I'll get a chance to visit any time soon (or ever)) and this report just makes me even more tempted. The water and scenery are really gorgeous! Nice to see that there is no security at the airport, and good that they provide complimentary drinks on this sector!

Looking forward for more,
yapple

Knightsofmalta
Topic Author

Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:24 am

Hi yapple

Quoting yapple (Reply 7):
Nice report as usual regarding Air Tahiti!

Thank you.

Quoting yapple (Reply 7):
Bora Bora has been on my bucket list for years (not that I'll get a chance to visit any time soon (or ever)) and this report just makes me even more tempted. The water and scenery are really gorgeous! Nice to see that there is no security at the airport, and good that they provide complimentary drinks on this sector!

Bora Bora was a place I'd always heard of, but somehow I never actually thought I'd end up visiting the place because it just seemed so remote and out of the way. But then you never know...

Thanks for commenting.

Cheers,
William

infodesk

Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:24 am

Hi William,

Beautiful pictures, Bora Bora really does look like paradise. Turquoise water, lush green mountains, golden sand, perfect. Lucky you!

The boat to the airport leaves at 11:30, one hour before the scheduled departure time. My initial thought is that this might be cutting it just a bit fine. Then I remember we are actually talking about a facility here with just one departure gate. So I think I will manage.

Reminds me a bit of my recent flight out of Skiathos. At the airport 1hr40 (!!) before departure, only to find all the check-in desks closed and they remained that way for some time.

The good news is – and personally I think this outweighs the lack of a lounge by far – is that there is no security check either!

Such a thing does still exist on the planet, wow!

With a block time of fifty minutes, this sector is Air Tahiti’s equivalent of a long-haul flight. Consequently, this means that passengers are offered a free cup of pineapple juice.

Pineapple juice, now there's a refeshing change.

Happy flying
Infodesk   
"Do nothing in haste, look well to each step and from the beginning think what may be the end" - Edward Whymper

Knightsofmalta
Topic Author

Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:06 pm

Hi Hannah

Quoting infodesk (Reply 9):
Beautiful pictures, Bora Bora really does look like paradise. Turquoise water, lush green mountains, golden sand, perfect. Lucky you!

Yes, I really think I am rather lucky to be able to visit such lovely places. It was just so serene!

Reminds me a bit of my recent flight out of Skiathos. At the airport 1hr40 (!!) before departure, only to find all the check-in desks closed and they remained that way for some time.

Well, at least you can always step outside and do some last minute sun bathing I guess.

Such a thing does still exist on the planet, wow!

You see, I told you it was heaven!

Pineapple juice, now there's a refeshing change.

Makes you wonder what might have happened if somebody had asked for apple juice...!

Cheers,
William

eielef

Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:34 am

Nice report, thanks for sharing. PPT-BOB-PPT was one of the most expensive domestic flights that were for sale. I remember few years ago, one way was 300USD, return 600USD. Don't know how is now. But nice report anyway!

Cheers
Eielef @VOZ

MIAspotter

Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:23 pm

William!

Thanks for such a nice report, what a lovely place, I can only dream of going there one day  
one hour before the scheduled departure time. My initial thought is that this might be cutting it just a bit fine. Then I remember we are actually talking about a facility here with just one departure gate. So I think I will manage.

LOL! I have made flights with just enough time to arrive at the airport, go straight through security and rush to the gate with minutes to spare before boarding starts... LOL (thank goodness for online check-in)

MIAspotter.

[Edited 2014-09-09 07:26:17]
Nos vamos de Vueling?

Vio

Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:05 pm

Just like your other reports, this one is simply stunning. It has been one of my dreams to get to Bora Bora! Hey, as promised, I put up my Cook Islands report (Part 3 of 3). When I was there I saw the Air Tahiti ATR and I was thinking "Man, I wish I was on that flight"

Thanks for the great pics

Vio
Superior decisions reduce the need for superior skills.

AirPacific747

Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:53 pm

Nice trip report! Stunning pictures! Wish I was there  

I was there in 1996 but can't remember much from the place anymore unfortunately.

Knightsofmalta
Topic Author

Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:34 pm

Hi eielf

Quoting eielef (Reply 11):
Nice report, thanks for sharing.

Thanks, my pleasure.

Quoting eielef (Reply 11):
PPT-BOB-PPT was one of the most expensive domestic flights that were for sale. I remember few years ago, one way was 300USD, return 600USD. Don't know how is now.

To be honest I can't remember how much I paid for the tickets. But at the time I didn't think they were overly expensive.

Hi MIAspotter

Quoting MIAspotter (Reply 12):
Thanks for such a nice report, what a lovely place, I can only dream of going there one day

My pleasure. Bora Bora certainly is a lovely place. I think I may have to return some day!

Quoting MIAspotter (Reply 12):
LOL! I have made flights with just enough time to arrive at the airport, go straight through security and rush to the gate with minutes to spare before boarding starts... LOL (thank goodness for online check-in)

There are some airports that have that effect on me too. In Amsterdam for example I often arrive in the nick of time...

Hi Vio

Quoting vio (Reply 13):
Just like your other reports, this one is simply stunning.

Thanks!

Quoting vio (Reply 13):
Hey, as promised, I put up my Cook Islands report (Part 3 of 3).

Yes, I saw that. Look like another gorgeous place.

Quoting vio (Reply 13):
Thanks for the great pics

My pleasure.

Hi AirPacific747

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 14):
Nice trip report! Stunning pictures! Wish I was there

Thanks! Wish I could go back there too.

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 14):
I was there in 1996 but can't remember much from the place anymore unfortunately.

That's a pity. But I guess if you can't remember that means you'll have to go again....

Cheers,
William

joeytaffy93

Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:12 pm

I thought I'd pop in and drop a message, I read this one and you're Virgin America one but didn't reply as I was at work.

That country just looks so beautiful! How I wish I had the money. Another good read, keep up the hard work, it's appreciated.

Knightsofmalta
Topic Author

Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:45 pm

Hi JoeyTaffy93

Quoting JoeyTaffy93 (Reply 16):
I thought I'd pop in and drop a message, I read this one and you're Virgin America one but didn't reply as I was at work.

Thanks, it's always nice to get feedback on a post.

Quoting JoeyTaffy93 (Reply 16):
That country just looks so beautiful! How I wish I had the money. Another good read, keep up the hard work, it's appreciated.

And thanks for the encouragement. I'll do my best!

Cheers,
William

ZKCIF

Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:17 pm

once I flew from ZQN in New Zealand.
as usual, the ticket had a requirement to arrive at the airport 2 hours before departure.
I arrive 1:40 before departure.
the security guard is almost shocked by seeing my family "that early in the morning".
the first counter opens 1:10 before departure.

GREAT REPORT, THANKS!

Knightsofmalta
Topic Author

Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:33 am

Hi ZKCIF

Quoting ZKCIF (Reply 18):
as usual, the ticket had a requirement to arrive at the airport 2 hours before departure.
I arrive 1:40 before departure.
the security guard is almost shocked by seeing my family "that early in the morning".
the first counter opens 1:10 before departure.

It was pretty much the same thing here. I contacted the concierge about the transfer and suggested leaving the hotel two hours before departure. He probably thought I was some nervous flyer or something!

Quoting ZKCIF (Reply 18):
GREAT REPORT, THANKS!

My pleasure, glad you enjoyed.

Cheers,
William