Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

sultanils
Topic Author

Oh My Garuda In(Lon)donesia! AMS-LGW

Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:10 pm

Allow me to dedicate this story to fellow a.netters akhmad and dirktraveller, who have been of inspiration for this flight and report. To them I say terima kasih teman-teman.

i n t r o d u c t i o n

Hello fellow aviators, bagaimana kabarmu?

Allow me to share once more a story of a special flight I took.

A few months back from now, the national carrier of Indonesia, Garuda Indonesia, restarted it’s non-stop Jakarta-Amsterdam service, utitlising it’s flagship aircraft, the Boeing 777-300ER. Fellow a.netter ronerone has written an excellent report on this route, flying in first class:

The Evolution Of GA 88: Garuda First Class CGK-AMS (by ronerone Aug 23 2014 in Trip Reports)

Since Sept 8th, Garuda has added a short extra flight on this route whereas the flight now continues from AMS to LGW and back to AMS only to leave for CGK in the early evening. Traffic rights for AMS-LGW-AMS are secured thus enabling us a.netters a nice new 5th freedom flight on a world class airline. Of course, I took advantage of this offer and for the price of € 56 one way - a no brainer - I secured me a seat in Y class on the 2nd day of operation.

However, financial issues with Garuda make the rumour mill go round and it might be that these tag on flights will not live a long life, so for any of you who want to feel the Garuda Experience, do it asap! You’ll not regret it, as I will show you in the following set of text and pics  

The actual taxied and flown flight paths - as recorded by a gps device.

AMS.

AMS-LGW.

LGW.

a m s t e r d a m s c h i p h o l a i r p o r t

After an unexpected 1h45 leisurely drive to AMS, I leave my car in one of the parking lots. It’s a nice morning outside and the smell of fresh A1 fills the air, lovely!

The moment I step into the walkway that leads to the terminal, I see something that lifts my spirits even more   

This very morning I did succeed to check in online through the mobile website of Garuda, nicknamed Touch. Despite the fact that the regular website states that OLCI is possible from 24h in advance, I was only able to check in 12h in advance as an error message kept on popping up stating that check in would only open at 23h55 local time    The same message would appear on the regular site as well

First off, let’s get a boarding pass! Garuda’s check in is done at departures 3...

... which is thankfully very calm this morning.

There’s not a single soul around at the check in area - except for the agents of course - and I’m quickly and friendly attended to at the First Class desk. I sheepishly ask if this means that I’m being upgraded, being checked in at this ‘special’ desk but the lady replies smiling that ‘I cannot do that unfortunately’. It doesn’t hurt to try now, does it  

All set, I quickly go through immigration and into the direction of the G gates.

Some minor spotting is done on the way as well. These big KLM machines look so good in their blue coat.

Care to Arkefly to somewhere sunny anyone?

G4, nearly there. I need G5.

Through another walkway, the travelator way.

Here she is, PK-GIE, basking in the morning sun. Looking good, isn’t she   

The office, where the drivers are preparing for the journey over the Channel.

Her tail, ready to wiggle it later on.

From the other side.

Her feet, taking all the heavy weight   

Loading and catering is in full swing.

After a brief walk around I decide it’s time to enter the holding pen.

Security screening is done at the gate here, using the Nude-o-scope.

The indicated boarding time is 1h before departure but with a light load this morning, the gate agents seem to take their sweet time. Half an hour before we are supposed to leave, we are allowed to enter the ship. I position myself strategically somewhere at the front and when the boarding by rows start for Y class, I’m the 1st passenger to enter the jetbridge   

AMS to LGW
GA88
Boeing 777-300ER PK-GIE
STD-STA 11h50-11h55
Y class
seat 52K

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Nik Deblauwe

o n b o a r d f l i g h t # 8 8

A bow and friendly welcome at the door by 2 female FA’s in orange and blue kebaya. The walk to the very last row goes through the business class section where all seats have direct aisle access.

Next is the economy class which looks very stylish and appealing with a mix of dark brown and blue. The layout of 3-3-3 is nice and spacious   

My pair of seats, window last row and the only row of 2 seaters in Y class.

The still empty cabin seen from the very back of the bus with a range of messages displayed on the PTV’s. Relaxing music is played as well during the boarding process.

To me, Indonesian is a funny language. Good that there is an English version below because I can’t make head nor tails of it  

The view from my seat.

I like that logo! And the winged headrests!

My neighbours seat and a pillow - he apologises for not making it today 

A minor disadvantage would be that the IFE is not of the touchscreen type.

All set!

Enough space and definitely a roomier environment than on my last widebody flight with Air China:
Made In (Air) China: BCN-VIE (by sultanils Aug 21 2014 in Trip Reports)
That foot rest pedal may disappear for me, I don’t use it and it is only in the way.

Low down in the middle between the 2 seats is the power port module including a USB port which can be used as a media player and for charging - as tested by myself. If the USB were right in front of you on the seat back, that would’ve been a bit more convenient.

The IFE unit, well tucked away and not intrusive at all.

Then, what’s next? The seat pocket with a few cm’s of reading material and heaphones - which I didn’t use..

Those ratings are arguable but the product seems to be very good indeed   

My name on the seatbelt and the personalisation is complete  

No electronics and seat belt sign.

Equipped with onboard wifi   

During my exploration, the cabin fills up with a light load of pax.

Outside I have a view on the M gates, where the easyJet’s at. If nothing goes wrong as usual, I will end up there later in the day, coming back with easyJet from LGW.

When everyone is nearly settled down, the usual welcome speeches are done and a few moments later we’re good to go!

I will   

We leave our stand a few mins before STD. It seems some construction is ongoing at the adjacent gate.

Singapore Airlines has left already for SIN but Cathay Pacific is still here with their A343 to HKG. This reminds me of my trip to Vietnam now already 7 years ago where I took the very same airline, the very same plane type at the very same gate. Ah, nostalgy...

As expected, we head for 36L aka the Polderbaan.

These Fokkers are allowed to takeoff from 36C though.

We are tailgated by a Finnair A319. Always those bloody Finns 

Passing by the 2nd tower.

This Delta A330 seems to be lost or maybe it is returning to the gate due to some problem  

The engines rev up and we accelerate for a 777 take off we all love   

Golf anyone?

Rotterdam has the biggest, but also Amsterdam has one: a port.

Much better!

Some of Holland’s beaches.

A steep left turn and we’re on course for the UK.

With the plane cruising swiftly, I better get back to business. Nice to see a personalised welcome message.

The IFE has a good selection of entertaining stuff loaded. It’s not overwhelming but I guess it does the job for longer flights.

A toilet stop becomes mandatory. The aft toilet is installed longitudinally next to the galley, making it very roomy inside.

Inside there’s a nice flowery smell. Some amenities are also on offer as per your convenience.

Taken from the inside, there’s at least 2m of space before you to strech your legs when you’re doing your business  

The aft galley.

The cabin is quiet. Are there any pax on board   

I settle back in my seat...

... and meanwhile the crew starts distributing boxes and bottles. Food seems to be on the way   

This is what we get, a cardboard box containing a wrap and a cake, and a bottle of still water   

The cake may not look too appetising, but it’s quite tasty. Although I’d rather prefer such cakes cold. Also the wrap is very good. I ask for a 2nd box which is brought in an instant   

The trash is gathered as fast as the food is distributed since we’re already starting to descent for Gatwick upon flying over the UK coastline.

Fasten your belts pls!

Braking.

Turning.

After a final and grand right turn, we’re good to land on LGW runway zero eight right.

Looks like there are some more a.netters on board.

Someone up for a used - or whatever - car?

Or would you rather store your car?

After 41 mins of airtime we land in LGW, that’s another airport added to the log   

I’m sure knightsofmalta would appreciate this particular species 

We taxi for a good few meters and come to a stop. After 5 mins of waiting, the cockpit comes on the horn and tells us that despite our on time arrival, our gate is still occupied and we’ll have to wait here for another 10 to 15 mins  

It’s not one of these that’s holding us up though...

... or neither is it this one (mind the registration!)...

... or this beauty.

No, in fact, we’re holding her up as we’re standing too close near the taxiway. So we move a few meters forward as to avoid our tail being chopped off by an Airbus A330   

Finally, things start moving again and we arrive at our designated parking position.

There’s a bit of a wait again to disembark as the police will be checking everyone’s passport upon exiting the plane. While waiting I ask a crew member if I can can a few more pics of the business and first class sections which is granted without a problem.

Business class.

First class.

Elvis has left the plane!

e p i l o g u e

This part contains a few pics of my transit time in LGW. Immigration was suprisingly very fast and I was out in the public in matter of minutes. Unfortunately that’s where the good things ended  I had checked in for my flight back to AMS with easyJet via their excellent Android app. However, a few days prior to travelling my phone crashed and I had to reinstall it from scratch. Therefore my boarding pass that was stored in the app was lost - I wasn’t aware of that - and because of the fact that it was now less than 2h before departure I had to get a new (paper) one. As luck may have it, there was an IT system failure with massive lines at the easyJet bag drop. I queued for more than 40 mins to obtain my boarding pass. Security however was quick and I made it to the flight without a problem    I do wonder why easyJet has no SSK’s on offer, like in GVA?

Bagage claim.

Check in hall.

Over the bridge. The views down are pretty cool  

My 1st flight on an easyJet A320, G-EZUP. Too bad it still had the old interior.

I reserved seat 8A.

Funny to see it all from the other side now, also PK-GIE was back at AMS, being prepped for the long journey back to CGK.

f i n a l t h o u g h t s

Garuda Indonesia impressed me greatly! The hardware is top notch and on par with other carriers that consistently rank high. I found the crew to be genuinely warm and approachable. Bonus points as well for serving a snack and a drink. Too bad the flight was so short to be able to appreciate it all...

Terima kasih untuk membaca or Thank you for reading and any comments are appreciated and gladly answered!

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

ManchesterMAN

RE: Oh My Garuda In(Lon)donesia! AMS-LGW

Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:35 pm

Thanks for the trip report and great photos.

I took this flight on Saturday and had a very similar experience. I was impressed with the load on Saturday, it was much higher then you experienced. I’d say around 60% in Y, although I did have 3 seats to myself. I agree the wrap was very tasty and I also enjoyed the chocolate. Wish I’d have asked for a second one! I also had an amenity kit on my seat when I arrived which was unexpected. These seemed to be strategically placed on certain seats, presumably those of pax joining in AMS (of which there were more than I thought there would be) from what I could tell.

We also were very late boarding. Even though the screens were showing final call about 30 mins before scheduled departure, we only boarded around 15 mins before, seeming for no reason (the aircraft had been on the ground for a few hours already) and obviously departed a little late as a result.

Still, I was just glad to see a 77W at the gate. It didn’t seem that would happen a month or two back with rumours of the route not happening.

To anyone thinking of taking the flight, give it a go as it is definitely the best way to travel from AMS-LON as you can see from this great report.
Flown: A300,A319,A320,A321,A330,A340.A380,717,727,737,747,757,767,777,DC9,DC10,MD11,MD80,F100,F50,ERJ,E190,CRJ,BAe146,Da

dirktraveller

Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:09 pm

Hello Nils,

Awesome report and photos man, just as expected out of your trip reports! I was really excited to see your GA trip report and was certainly curious to hear how did would you rate Garuda. It was really heartwarming that you had an enjoyable experience on board GA B77W.   .

Quoting Sultanils (Thread starter):
To them I say terima kasih teman-teman.

Appreciated the special dedication, Terima kasih temanku, Nils

Wow she does look good on her first trip to London, nice photo! Anyway I was wondering what was that white patch beside the skyteam logo. I would have thought initially that was originally the coat-of-arms of Indonesia which was only displayed on state visits, but then the 77W was not used for that purpose..   

Next is the economy class which looks very stylish and appealing with a mix of dark brown and blue. The layout of 3-3-3 is nice and spacious

Glad that you like the mix of dark brown and blue on their Economy Class seats too! Those combination of colors somehow made the product appear more elegant, in my opinion.

Nice! That would be something appreciated especially if you're in for a nonstop service from CGK to AMS.

Oh no! I would love to fly on empty flights (especially when I'm doing trip reports) but that's not a good sign for the future of this route.. Hopefully the loads will gradually improve somehow.    .

This is what we get, a cardboard box containing a wrap and a cake, and a bottle of still water

Looks nice for the short hop! Although I would have expected that Garuda-branded snack boxes like what they distribute on our domestic flights here in Indonesia.

The cake may not look too appetising, but it’s quite tasty.

Haha! Seems you have unlocked the mysteries of Garuda catering. Based on my previous experience, on a few flights those meals that looks unappetising actually tasted better than those with better presentation!  . Glad to hear that a second round was pleasantly delivered to you!

After 41 mins of airtime we land in LGW,

That's way too short for a flight.. especially to experience a GA B77W.

While waiting I ask a crew member if I can can a few more pics of the business and first class sections which is granted without a problem.

Great to hear that the crew were enthusiast-friendly, and that you were able to make a few pictures of F and J classes before you disembarked.

Garuda Indonesia impressed me greatly! The hardware is top notch and on par with other carriers that consistently rank high.

Glad to hear your maiden trip on GA ended at a positive impression! Back when they cut their Europe network ten years ago, no one would have expected a return with a product of that standard, but seems they managed to pull that out and gave everyone a nice surprise!    .

Terima kasih untuk trip-report nya, Nils
Looking forward to see your next adventures!

Best Regards,
Dirktraveller

kl911

Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:54 pm

Nice tripreport!

How long is the layover in AMS for connecting pax? Do they stay onboard?

Tesla

Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:56 pm

Thanks for the report! I'm looking forward to my trip on this same flight on 26 Oct.

ozzietukker

Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:33 pm

I don't think they will stay on board as the scheduled arrival time from Jakarta is around 09.40 and the flight to London Gatwick departs around 11:55, that would be too long.

I am thinking of taking this flight myself in the near future, as I anticipate quite low loads as Easyjet and even British Airways already flying this route.

akhmad

Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:11 pm

Aduuh, Haai Nils,

My friend got finally on board of the airline of my country of birth Garuda Indonesia!   

What an array of beautiful, crystal clear pictures! They make me feel I was there with you!

Allow me to dedicate this story to fellow a.netters akhmad and dirktraveller, who have been of inspiration for this flight and report. To them I say terima kasih teman-teman.

Sama-sama, temanku! What a great honor to have this dedication from you.   

Hello fellow aviators, bagaimana kabarmu?

Baik-baik, temanku!  

Of course, I took advantage of this offer and for the price of € 56 one way - a no brainer - I secured me a seat in Y class on the 2nd day of operation.

Amazing one way price! And that with snack and drink included!  Wow!

It’s a nice morning outside and the smell of fresh A1 fills the air, lovely!

I was inside at the office some 90 kilometers further east.  

The moment I step into the walkway that leads to the terminal, I see something that lifts my spirits even more   

I can imagine your feeling.

I was only able to check in 12h in advance as an error message kept on popping up stating that check in would only open at 23h55 local time  

I am actually relieved that Garuda now offers online check-in on international flights as well. It wasn’t yet possible two years ago.

and I’m quickly and friendly attended to at the First Class desk.

You didn’t need to fly First Class to experience priority check-in.   

I sheepishly ask if this means that I’m being upgraded, being checked in at this ‘special’ desk but the lady replies smiling that ‘I cannot do that unfortunately’. It doesn’t hurt to try now, does it   

I hope that the LGW tag-on will succeed to maximize your chance on op-ups.

All set, I quickly go through immigration and into the direction of the G gates.

Good to see the airside of G-gates. I’ll be there again in 4 weeks!   

Care to Arkefly to somewhere sunny anyone?

Mombasa and Zanzibar, please!

Looking good, isn’t she   

Her feet, taking all the heavy weight   

BODYPUMP!

I’m the 1st passenger to enter the jetbridge   

Bagus! Good on you!

A bow and friendly welcome at the door by 2 female FA’s in orange and blue kebaya.

Selamat datang, Bapak Sultanils!

window last row and the only row of 2 seaters in Y class

The place to be for a couple traveling together.

To me, Indonesian is a funny language.

Indonesian isn’t difficult. There is neither past nor future tense for instance.

I like that logo! And the winged headrests!

I was at the office.   

A minor disadvantage would be that the IFE is not of the touchscreen type.

Oh, that is a pity.

That foot rest pedal may disappear for me, I don’t use it and it is only in the way.

It would apply for me as well.

Those ratings are arguable but the product seems to be very good indeed   

Glad to hear that from you!   

No electronics and seat belt sign.

Instead of no smoking sign. How things have changed.

I will   

This reminds me of my trip to Vietnam now already 7 years ago where I took the very same airline, the very same plane type at the very same gate. Ah, nostalgy...

How lovely! Could it be the same registration as well?

As expected, we head for 36L aka the Polderbaan.

Just to maximize your stay on board.

Always those bloody Finns  

The Finns fall in love with the Indonesians.  

This Delta A330 seems to be lost or maybe it is returning to the gate due to some problem  

Oh no! Or did it just want to say hello to its Indonesian alliance co-member?

Was it a short powerful takeoff roll?

Golf anyone?

No thanks! I would rather do PowerYoga on that green field.

A toilet stop becomes mandatory. The aft toilet is installed longitudinally next to the galley, making it very roomy inside.
Taken from the inside, there’s at least 2m of space before you to strech your legs when you’re doing your business  

Well done, Garuda!

The sight somehow makes me sad.  

Better than cookies BA serves on this segment.   

I ask for a 2nd box which is brought in an instant   
While waiting I ask a crew member if I can can a few more pics of the business and first class sections which is granted without a problem.

That’s my Garuda!   

Looks like there are some more a.netters on board.

Or even Indonesian Indoflyer.netters?

LGW, that’s another airport added to the log   

You had never been to LGW before, well congrats then!

or neither is it this one (mind the registration!)...

Can you imagine the registration of its sister ship? 9Y-LHR!

No, in fact, we’re holding her up as we’re standing too close near the taxiway.

Oops!

Unfortunately that’s where the good things ended  

Shame.  

I have been to LGW twice and never made it to the bridge.   

Terima kasih untuk membaca

Sama-sama! Thank you for sharing!   

So happy to hear that you enjoyed your flight, even though 41 minutes were just too short.  

I sincerely hope that everyone will strongly get encouraged to fly with Garuda on AMS-LGW v.v. after this wonderful report of yours. Hoping? No, I am sure about it!   

Selamat malam,
Suryo  

There is no deity except You. Exalted are You. Indeed, I have been of the wrongdoers.

The777Man

Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:39 pm

Hi Nils !

Very nice that you tried out the Garuda 77W!

I was in the window just a row in front of where you sat; 51K

Garuda Indonesia 77W CGK-NRT In Y (by The777Man Sep 17 2013 in Trip Reports)

Nice that they give you something for such a short flight.

Thanks again for a great report with great pictures !

My flight on the Garuda 77W remains one of my top 6 flights on 777s and I'm glad you had a very nice experience as well.

Looking forward to your next report!

The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

ba319-131

Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:51 pm

Hi Nils,

Nice read and pictures, thanks for sharing. I'm flying this same GA flight in 4 weeks, hopefully it's still running!

economy class which looks very stylish and appealing with a mix of dark brown and blue. The layout of 3-3-3 is nice and spacious

- Nice, though I dislike the 3-3-3 layout in Y.

- That's a bit of a result!

The cake may not look too appetising, but it’s quite tasty

- No it looks pretty grott!!

I queued for more than 40 mins to obtain my boarding pass.

- What a nightmare, 40 minues!!

Cheers

Mark
111 732 733 734 735 736 73G 738 739,7M8 BBJ 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 764 772 77L 773 77W L15 D10 D30 D40 AB3 AB6 312 313 318 319 320 20N 321 21N 332 333 342 343 345 346 359 351 388 CS1 CS3 I86 154 SSJ CRJ CR7 CR9 CRK 145 170 175 220

joeytaffy93

Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:02 pm

Hi Nils,

Excellent trip report, very detailed with some great pictures. I was looking into booking myself on to this flight just to tick off my list as I don't see myself traveling to Indonesia any time in the near future.

I shall have to hurry up and book myself a flight before it disappears (if).

kl713

Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:35 pm

Thank you so much for this trip report! Great read and very detailed, exactly as I like it, since I'm gonna be on the same flight this friday   But I will spend some more hours in London before heading back to AMS late in the evening with U2 from SEN.

You're so right about this flight. It's an affordable way to catch some of that Indonesian spirit. Definitely a flight that shouldn't be missed because of the issues GA is facing right now. Looking forward to it, now even more thanks to your report  
732 733 734 73G 738 739 742 743 744 752 763 764 77E 773 77L 77W 788 789 319 320 332 333 343 346 388 E75 E90 M11 146 DH8

FLIEGER67

Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:46 am

Hi, N.,

now that was a very welcomed early morning read. Well done, also the pictures to show us the GA experience.
Service looks like also nice.
40 minutes for EZY, now that sounds special, good that you made it in the end.
Something again to care about papers, isn´t it?.

Greetings,
Markus(FLIEGER67)
Tripreporter.net

MIAspotter

Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:17 am

Nils!!

Fantastic report as usual my friend   you sure crank them up quickly huh!

It’s a nice morning outside and the smell of fresh A1 fills the air, lovely!

Hmm yeah! nothing beats the smell of fresh A1 in the mornings... except coffee 
I’m quickly and friendly attended to at the First Class desk. I sheepishly ask if this means that I’m being upgraded, being checked in at this ‘special’ desk but the lady replies smiling that ‘I cannot do that unfortunately’. It doesn’t hurt to try now, does it

Hehehe of course not... I was also attended at the biz class desk in SIN for my QR flight... no upgrade tho... until DOH.

These big KLM machines look so good in their blue coat.

All of the KLM machines look beautiful in their blue suits  

Yeah, probably reviewing the London A to Z ... ¨so we take this road... and then turn here... avoid the M25 because is a right bi**h in the mornings... and at junction 17 we exit for LGW¨.

I position myself strategically somewhere at the front and when the boarding by rows start for Y class, I’m the 1st passenger to enter the jetbridge

I see you used the Sultanils Boarding Strategy again... I should do that too.

Shame really...

Ha! hear that Qatar Airways!!!

Oh yes! although I get a tingly spine when they start the engines.

After 5 mins of waiting, the cockpit comes on the horn and tells us that despite our on time arrival, our gate is still occupied and we’ll have to wait here for another 10 to 15 mins

Oh noooo... the horror!!! lol... it happenned to me on my SQ flight to MAN, we apparently had to wait for a while too. I don´t mind.. bring me some satays.

G-EZUP

¨sup ZUP...

Again Nils, nice review of this short flight, hope GA can keep it up and ¨fly through¨ the issues, I´d love to try this flight sometime soon.

MIAspotter.
Nos vamos de Vueling?

sultanils
Topic Author

Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:56 am

Quoting ManchesterMAN (Reply 1):
Thanks for the trip report and great photos.

Hey ManchesterMAN, thank you very much!

I was impressed with the load on Saturday, it was much higher then you experienced. I’d say around 60% in Y, although I did have 3 seats to myself.

That’s good to know. I do hope the route succeeds.

I also had an amenity kit on my seat when I arrived which was unexpected.

Did you open it and if so, what did it contain?

and obviously departed a little late as a result.

It does make you wonder a bit as to why they delay it?

t didn’t seem that would happen a month or two back with rumours of the route not happening.

True. That’s why I chose to fly it sooner later than later. I’m most glad I did.

it is definitely the best way to travel from AMS-LON

Indeed, no other carrier offers this kind of service and comfort on the same route.

Quoting dirktraveller (Reply 2):
Hello Nils

Hi dirktraveller!

Awesome report and photos man, just as expected out of your trip reports! I was really excited to see your GA trip report and was certainly curious to hear how did would you rate Garuda. It was really heartwarming that you had an enjoyable experience on board GA B77W.

Many thanks for your reply, which is much appreciated. Garuda did meet my (high) expectations  

Appreciated the special dedication, Terima kasih temanku, Nils

Kesenangan adalah semua milikku.

Anyway I was wondering what was that white patch beside the skyteam logo. I would have thought initially that was originally the coat-of-arms of Indonesia which was only displayed on state visits

I didn’t notice that until now. I have no clue what lies under it...

Glad that you like the mix of dark brown and blue on their Economy Class seats too!

I thought it looked good on photos already but in real it is even better. They make the cabin really attractive!

That would be something appreciated especially if you're in for a nonstop service from CGK to AMS.

Hopefully the loads will gradually improve somehow.

I hope so too. Somehow I have a feeling it will not last long. Rumours rumours rumours 

Although I would have expected that Garuda-branded snack boxes like what they distribute on our domestic flights here in Indonesia.

Do they also distribute those on very short flights like this one? Anyway, I was most content with what I got!

Seems you have unlocked the mysteries of Garuda catering.

I have found the magic key lol!

That's way too short for a flight.. especially to experience a GA B77W.

True    That was the only negative aspect on this flight.

Great to hear that the crew were enthusiast-friendly, and that you were able to make a few pictures of F and J classes before you disembarked.

They were all good and very relaxed and not so robotic and drilled in their procedures as for example SQ crews can be.

Back when they cut their Europe network ten years ago, no one would have expected a return with a product of that standard, but seems they managed to pull that out and gave everyone a nice surprise!

The ‘new’ Garuda is definitely an airline that does deliver a great travel experience. I hope they maintain this high level of service throughout their network.

Terima kasih untuk trip-report nya

No problem, I enjoyed putting it together  

Quoting kl911 (Reply 3):
Nice tripreport!

Thank you kl911.

Quoting kl911 (Reply 3):
How long is the layover in AMS for connecting pax? Do they stay onboard?

A bit over 2h. They don’t stay onboard and are given a transit card.

Quoting Tesla (Reply 4):
Thanks for the report!

No problem Tesla, thanks for stopping by.

Quoting Tesla (Reply 4):
I'm looking forward to my trip on this same flight on 26 Oct.

I’m most sure you will enjoy it!

Quoting akhmad (Reply 6):
Aduuh, Haai Nils

Haai Suryo, thank you for your extensive reply!

My friend got finally on board of the airline of my country of birth Garuda Indonesia!

I finally did and what a show it was!

What an array of beautiful, crystal clear pictures! They make me feel I was there with you!

Thanks, me glad you like 

Sama-sama, temanku! What a great honor to have this dedication from you.

My pleasure my friend, if a dedication had to be given, it must’ve been you, our (Garuda) Indonesia ambassdor!

Baik-baik, temanku!

Good to hear that  

Amazing one way price! And that with snack and drink included!

No other airline on this route does any better.

I can imagine your feeling.

It was great to see it and made me happy that I’ve not driven for nothing all the way to AMS.

I am actually relieved that Garuda now offers online check-in on international flights as well. It wasn’t yet possible two years ago.

Although it did have a few glitches I was happy as well that OLCI was offered and that I was able to select the best Y seat in the cabin - at least in my opinion.

You didn’t need to fly First Class to experience priority check-in.

Yep - although I would’ve received priority treatment at every desk since I was the only one there  

I hope that the LGW tag-on will succeed to maximize your chance on op-ups.

Op-ups and me, that’s a non-combination  

I’ll be there again in 4 weeks!

Cool! Heading off to?

Mombasa and Zanzibar, please!

You’ve been there already!?

Bagus! Good on you!

Anything for a good picture   

Selamat datang, Bapak Sultanils!

It must be they recognised my high status as a sultan.

The place to be for a couple traveling together.

Or for me, traveling all by myself!

Indonesian isn’t difficult. There is neither past nor future tense for instance.

That sounds easy. I know a few words already now.

I was at the office.

I hope one day you will be able to fly your beloved airline as well (again).

Oh, that is a pity.

Nah, it was fully functional and responsive with the controller. We are too spoilt sometimes  

Glad to hear that from you!

It’s an objective opinion.

Could it be the same registration as well?

No idea. This was before I started logging flights.

Just to maximize your stay on board.

I guess the pilots knew they had at least 1 a.netter in the back.

Oh no! Or did it just want to say hello to its Indonesian alliance co-member?

No clue. Something was definitely not right as she was coming from an odd direction given the direction of takeoff.

Was it a short powerful takeoff roll?

Well done, Garuda!

Of course it’s just a toilet but nevertheless it’s nice to have some space in there.

The sight somehow makes me sad.

It’s due to ignorance - most people don’t really know how good Garuda is. Only if everybody knew...

Better than cookies BA serves on this segment

Much better.

Or even Indonesian Indoflyer.netters?

Could be. To my knowledge there weren’t that many Indonesians on board.

You had never been to LGW before, well congrats then!

Thanks! I wasn’t much impressed though...

Can you imagine the registration of its sister ship? 9Y-LHR!

Really, lol!?

I have been to LGW twice and never made it to the bridge.

Oh, but you didn’t miss much then. The views are nice and kinda special from above. But there are other airports that have much better views as well.

Sama-sama! Thank you for sharing!

No problem, the pleasure was all mine!

So happy to hear that you enjoyed your flight, even though 41 minutes were just too short.

Too short, that was the only shortcoming on this flight.

I sincerely hope that everyone will strongly get encouraged to fly with Garuda on AMS-LGW v.v. after this wonderful report of yours. Hoping? No, I am sure about it!

Garuda deserves it. It’s definitely a very good airline.

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

Maikel

Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:46 am

Good report, looks like you enjoyed the flight. I will be posting my report of the inaugural flight (long report) very soon so we have something to compare.

Maikel

sultanils
Topic Author

Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:14 am

Quoting The777Man (Reply 7):
Hi Nils !

Hey Lars.

Very nice that you tried out the Garuda 77W!

Thanks. It was an opportunity not to be missed.

I was in the window just a row in front of where you sat; 51K

I remember your report but not your seat. So the famous The777Man sat right in front of me  

Nice that they give you something for such a short flight.

Indeed, no other airline on this route does this afaik.

My flight on the Garuda 77W remains one of my top 6 flights on 777s and I'm glad you had a very nice experience as well.

That’s good to hear and I do agree that GA has a high quality product.

Quoting ba319-131 (Reply 8):
Hi Nils

Hello Mark, thanks for your comments.

Nice read and pictures, thanks for sharing.

No problem!

I'm flying this same GA flight in 4 weeks, hopefully it's still running!

Hopefully you will be able to enjoy the Garuda show still.

Nice, though I dislike the 3-3-3 layout in Y

Dislike? You’d rather have 3-4-3  Wow!

That's a bit of a result!

The best seats in Y imho.

No it looks pretty grott!!

Looks were definitely deceiving. I’m curious if you will get the same snack?!

What a nightmare, 40 minues!!

It was. Shame on LGW, very unprofessional, staff shouting destinations etc.. Never again.

Quoting JoeyTaffy93 (Reply 9):
Hi Nils

Hello JoeyTaffy93, thank you for stopping by.

Excellent trip report, very detailed with some great pictures.

Thanks, I’m glad you enjoyed it.

I shall have to hurry up and book myself a flight before it disappears (if).

Do so quickly. You will not be disappointed with what Garuda has to offer.

Quoting kl713 (Reply 10):
Thank you so much for this trip report! Great read and very detailed

Hey kl713, good to hear you enjoyed the report.

I'm gonna be on the same flight this friday

Very good, I hope you will like it!

But I will spend some more hours in London before heading back to AMS late in the evening with U2 from SEN.

Even better. But SEN is a looong way from LGW, you know  

It's an affordable way to catch some of that Indonesian spirit.

Quoting FLIEGER67 (Reply 11):
Hi, N

Hey Markus, good to hear from you.

now that was a very welcomed early morning read. Well done, also the pictures to show us the GA experience.

Thanks, my pleasure.

Service looks like also nice.

Nothing to fault here for this short flight.

40 minutes for EZY, now that sounds special

I’d rather call it most annoying  

Something again to care about papers, isn´t it?

Maybe so... But I love technology 

Quoting MIAspotter (Reply 12):
Nils!!

MIAspotter!!

Fantastic report as usual my friend

Thanks amigo, goo to hear you enjoyed it!

Hmm yeah! nothing beats the smell of fresh A1 in the mornings... except coffee

Or tea and lemon for the matter  

I was also attended at the biz class desk in SIN for my QR flight... no upgrade tho... until DOH.

I remember that you lucky bastardo  Well, an upgrade here would’ve been of not much use, except for some miles I guess?

All of the KLM machines look beautiful in their blue suits

Especially the big birds!

Yeah, probably reviewing the London A to Z ... ¨so we take this road... and then turn here... avoid the M25 because is a right bi**h in the mornings... and at junction 17 we exit for LGW

Yeah - London airspace is quite congested, as are London’s roads.

I see you used the Sultanils Boarding Strategy again... I should do that too.

It does the trick every time. Just be a little assertive, that’s it!

Ha! hear that Qatar Airways!!!

A shame what they did on their new ships, like the 787. Such a big box!

Oh yes! although I get a tingly spine when they start the engines.

The moment it’s started there’s that loud resonating through the cabin, lovely!

Oh noooo... the horror!!!

I had time enough - at least that’s what I thought back then... Little did I know what would come afterwards.

I´d love to try this flight sometime soon.

Hurry up my friend, my guess is it will not last forever.

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

infodesk

Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:45 am

Hi Nils,

Thanks for another very enjoyable report report, nothing else expected of course! I didn’t know about this new exotic 5th freedom route so thanks for the heads up and I certainly hope I’ll be able to try it out, the timings work nicely for a day trip.

I sheepishly ask if this means that I’m being upgraded, being checked in at this ‘special’ desk but the lady replies smiling that ‘I cannot do that unfortunately’. It doesn’t hurt to try now, does it

Well, if you don’t ask, you don’t get…

Best place in Economy  

That has to be a first, surely?

Very nice for the short flight

I’m sure knightsofmalta would appreciate this particular species

Beautiful livery indeed

Glad things worked out with EZY despite the boarding pass problems. Modern technology, eh?

Happy flying
Infodesk   
"Do nothing in haste, look well to each step and from the beginning think what may be the end" - Edward Whymper

akhmad

Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:45 pm

Quoting Sultanils (Reply 13):
thank you for your extensive reply!

My pleasure!  

although I would’ve received priority treatment at every desk since I was the only one there   

Just because you are the Sultan(ils), don't you think?   

Op-ups and me, that’s a non-combination   

Never say never.

Cool! Heading off to?

Dubai and Jakarta. My first A380 flight ever to be.   

I hope one day you will be able to fly your beloved airline as well (again).

I will next month. Though only on domestic flights.

I guess the pilots knew they had at least 1 a.netter in the back.

I could not think of any other reason. 

Really, lol!?

Honestly true!

Garuda deserves it. It’s definitely a very good airline.

Thanks to you and Roni, Garuda will make it in Europe!   

[Edited 2014-09-17 08:21:29]
There is no deity except You. Exalted are You. Indeed, I have been of the wrongdoers.

roberts87

Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:40 pm

Hello Nils,

Great report!

However, financial issues with Garuda make the rumour mill go round and it might be that these tag on flights will not live a long life, so for any of you who want to feel the Garuda Experience, do it asap! You’ll not regret it, as I will show you in the following set of text and pics

Still contemplating wether or not to go! Yes it's only around 50-60 eur but with the return flight it still adds up to a 100 bucks - and I already spent so much on flying this year :P

The actual taxied and flown flight paths - as recorded by a gps device.

I have been meaning to ask, what app do you use for that?

This very morning I did succeed to check in online through the mobile website of Garuda, nicknamed Touch. Despite the fact that the regular website states that OLCI is possible from 24h in advance, I was only able to check in 12h in advance as an error message kept on popping up stating that check in would only open at 23h55 local time    The same message would appear on the regular site as well

I assume you couln't select seats during booking? Oh well, which such a light load plenty of seats to chose from I reckon.

Indeed it does!

Quiet... I wonder who long this tag will last if the loads remain like this

Impressive for the short flight!

That bridge is indeed pretty neat. Did GA park at the North Pier as well?

Thanks for sharing your experience!
Robert

sultanils
Topic Author

Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:25 pm

Quoting Maikel (Reply 14):
Good report, looks like you enjoyed the flight.

Thanks Maikel, I did!

Quoting Maikel (Reply 14):
I will be posting my report of the inaugural flight (long report) very soon so we have something to compare.

Quoting infodesk (Reply 16):
Hi Nils

Hello Hannah!

Thanks for another very enjoyable report report, nothing else expected of course!

You’re welcome, I’m happy to see you liked it.

I didn’t know about this new exotic 5th freedom route

Haven’t you  Wow! This is/was really the talk of the town lately. Even I knew of it and that means something!

I certainly hope I’ll be able to try it out, the timings work nicely for a day trip.

If you feel like doing it, don’t hesitate, you won’t be disappointed.

Well, if you don’t ask, you don’t get…

My opinion exactly.

Best place in Economy

Yep, and good to see these seats were available as sometimes they tend to be blocked for status holders.

That has to be a first, surely?

For me it was, never seen a lavatory this large on any plane.

Very nice for the short flight

Beautiful livery indeed

First time spotting it in the flesh, very nice!

Glad things worked out with EZY despite the boarding pass problems. Modern technology, eh?

Yeah, technology let me down. But my fault too as I normally check on these things. And double check and triple check.

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

TUGMASTER

Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:23 pm

Quoting Tesla (Reply 4):

Onboard as well.... After the final YUL-AMS scud flight.

ronerone

Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:01 am

Great report Sultanils  

I see a healthy-ish load on your flight continuing (and joining) to LGW! Not too bad for the second day. How many were 5th Freedomers?  

Nice to see PK-GIE took you to LGW too. The very same lady that flew me from CGK!

The snack given out seems to be the new high-end stuff that QR also uses. Very interesting how this airline keeps adopting bits and pieces from other airlines and putting it all together into something that turns out even better  

Thanks for sharing this report with us  

Cheers,
Roni
Fly Roni. Aviation Journeys. Photos. Videos.

sultanils
Topic Author

Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:25 am

Quoting akhmad (Reply 17):
Just because you are the Sultan(ils), don't you think?

Probably so, it’s the one and only status I’ll ever get 

Dubai and Jakarta. My first A380 flight ever to be.

Emirates I believe, cool! But why no Garuda longhaul, you have the perfect flight right at your fingertips  
I will next month.

That’s good as well. Which types may I ask?

Thanks to you and Roni, Garuda will make it in Europe!

That might be a bit of an overstatement but it’s a nice compliment in any case, terima kasih.

Quoting roberts87 (Reply 18):
Hello Nils

Hoi Robert!

Great report!

Thanks, nice of you to reply once again.

Still contemplating wether or not to go!

Don’t doubt just book 

I have been meaning to ask, what app do you use for that?

I use Viewranger (in flight mode of course) to log the flight path and then export the .gpx file to plot and edit it on a web based editor. Make sure to position your phone close to the window (I use the armrest or squeeze it in between the tray table and seat upholstery).

I assume you couln't select seats during booking?

No, that was not possible but there was room enough still.

Quiet... I wonder who long this tag will last if the loads remain like this

I wonder as well, hopefully long enough to enable at least all of us a.netters to fly it  

Impressive for the short flight!

Did GA park at the North Pier as well?

Yes, both my flights that day were at the North terminal.

Quoting ronerone (Reply 21):
Great report Sultanils

Hey Roni, thanks and good to hear from you.

I see a healthy-ish load on your flight continuing (and joining) to LGW! Not too bad for the second day. How many were 5th Freedomers?

Hmm, 40% is not so healthy, no? Don’t know how many 5th freedomers, but I saw quite a few people busy taking photos, inside out outside the aircraft. So, must be  

Nice to see PK-GIE took you to LGW too. The very same lady that flew me from CGK!

Oh yes, we traveled on the same vessel   Unfortunately I was in a different cabin though, but I guess I makes little sense to fly in First Class for this short of a flight.

Very interesting how this airline keeps adopting bits and pieces from other airlines and putting it all together into something that turns out even better

Sultanils

[Edited 2014-09-18 00:28:28]
In thrust we trust.

gabrielchew

Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:37 am

Nice report Nils. I'm doing this flight next month, so good to see what's on offer!

There’s not a single soul around at the check in area - except for the agents of course - and I’m quickly and friendly attended to at the First Class desk. I sheepishly ask if this means that I’m being upgraded, being checked in at this ‘special’ desk but the lady replies smiling that ‘I cannot do that unfortunately’. It doesn’t hurt to try now, does it

Ha, it (rarely) hurts to ask!

To me, Indonesian is a funny language. Good that there is an English version below because I can’t make head nor tails of it

I think Indonesian is probably easier to learn than Flemmish!

Equipped with onboard wifi

Nice facility. Was it turned on? Free?

Security however was quick and I made it to the flight without a problem I do wonder why easyJet has no SSK’s on offer, like in GVA?

I guess for many years, UK easyJet pax were used to either PYOBP with hand luggage or else for getting them for free when they checked their bags at the desk. Now a lot of people will use their phones, or still print out themselves, so no need to install expensive SSK machines
http://my.flightmemory.com/shefgab Upcoming flights: AMS-RIX-BUD-VDA,ETH-TLV-FCO-LHR,STN-TXL-LCY,LTN-CPH-LTN,LGW-SZG,MUC-LHR

ba319-131

Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:34 pm

Quoting Sultanils (Reply 15):

Dislike? You’d rather have 3-4-3  

- No, but I'd rather have 2-4-2 or 2-3-2 on the 767  
111 732 733 734 735 736 73G 738 739,7M8 BBJ 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 764 772 77L 773 77W L15 D10 D30 D40 AB3 AB6 312 313 318 319 320 20N 321 21N 332 333 342 343 345 346 359 351 388 CS1 CS3 I86 154 SSJ CRJ CR7 CR9 CRK 145 170 175 220

sultanils
Topic Author

Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:38 am

Quoting gabrielchew (Reply 23):
Nice report Nils.

Thanks Gabs.

I'm doing this flight next month

Good to know! If it still exists 

Ha, it (rarely) hurts to ask!

True although I knew the asnwer beforehand  

I think Indonesian is probably easier to learn than Flemmish!

Could be, it is a known fact that German languages are difficult to learn.

Nice facility. Was it turned on? Free?

That’s 2x   

I guess for many years, UK easyJet pax were used to either PYOBP with hand luggage or else for getting them for free when they checked their bags at the desk. Now a lot of people will use their phones, or still print out themselves, so no need to install expensive SSK machines

I understand but it would’ve made the mess that was there a bit more bearable, ugh!

Quoting ba319-131 (Reply 24):
No, but I'd rather have 2-4-2 or 2-3-2 on the 767

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

pokfur

Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:38 pm

Hello Nils!

Finally got around to reading your report  

Of course, I took advantage of this offer and for the price of € 56 one way

That's considered competitive with the other 'full-service' airlines like KLM and BA right?

After an unexpected 1h45 leisurely drive to AMS, I leave my car in one of the parking lots. It’s a nice morning outside and the smell of fresh A1 fills the air, lovely!

Coming from Singapore, I find it quite amusing when people say that 1 or 2 hours' drive is 'short' or 'easy', or in your case 'leisurely'. Here, I get tired and irritated if I'm in the car for more than half an hour!! It means that there must have been a traffic jam somewhere.

I sheepishly ask if this means that I’m being upgraded

Ha. Nice try   

What's up with that white square behind the skyteam sign?

Lol! Now, how would you have known that he was apologising?   

Singapore Airlines has left already for SIN but Cathay Pacific is still here with their A343 to HKG. This reminds me of my trip to Vietnam now already 7 years ago where I took the very same airline, the very same plane type at the very same gate. Ah, nostalgy...

Ooh the A343. My favourite aircraft. I remember when I was 10, I could tell even then that we were grossly underpowered. I thought we were going to go off the runway! Only when I discovered a.net a few years later then did I know they were actually hairdryers masquerading as engines.... If all goes well, I might get to sit a CX A343 in December!   

The cake may not look too appetising, but it’s quite tasty. Although I’d rather prefer such cakes cold. Also the wrap is very good. I ask for a 2nd box which is brought in an instant   

That's so much more generous than whatever KLM offers   

My 1st flight on an easyJet A320, G-EZUP. Too bad it still had the old interior.

Yikes. Never taken easyJet and hope never to have to. I hear they're even stricter than Ryanair when it comes to cabin baggage policy. You supposedly have to pay for the bigger bags that go above your head??

Anyway thanks for writing up this report! I hope that Garuda might soon start considering luring Singaporeans to transit through its Jakarta hub. Prices now aren't exactly attractive at all. As you've shown to us, it's a good airline that I think has changed its image quite well. Now they just have to lure more customers to show them what they've got!   

pokfur

akhmad

Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:43 am

Quoting Sultanils (Reply 22):
But why no Garuda longhaul, you have the perfect flight right at your fingertips   

It was a tough decision, but A380 has won at the end.

Which types may I ask?

Regular Boeing 737-800 and a new type, CRJ1000!   

Qatara340

Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:12 pm

Thank you very much for your Trip Report, I really enjoyed reading every bit of it, and fascinated how fast Garuda have managed to twist their fortunes. The 777 is a wonderful aircraft; and especially in Garuda's Fleet. I am glad they used 3-3-3- seating back in economy. J seats resembles EK's J in the A380's the staggered layout. Im a fan or reverse herringbone though--better shoulder room.
لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله

sultanils
Topic Author

Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:36 am

Quoting pokfur (Reply 26):
Hello Nils!

Hey pokfur, how’s you going?

Finally got around to reading your report

I see   

That's considered competitive with the other 'full-service' airlines like KLM and BA right?

It is competitive! Even more than that, it’s the best offer on the route, price quality wise. Not BA nor EZY can beat what they offer for that price.

I find it quite amusing when people say that 1 or 2 hours' drive is 'short' or 'easy', or in your case 'leisurely'.

Normally driving to AMS would take me at least an hour or 3 due to heavy traffic but this time I just sailed through. I don’t mind long drives in the car as long as I have some good tunes on  

Ha. Nice try

Yeah - although I knew the outcome way beforehand.

What's up with that white square behind the skyteam sign?

I honestly don’t know. dirktraveller also wondered...

Lol! Now, how would you have known that he was apologising?

Because he told me so 

Ooh the A343. My favourite aircraft. I remember when I was 10, I could tell even then that we were grossly underpowered. I thought we were going to go off the runway! Only when I discovered a.net a few years later then did I know they were actually hairdryers masquerading as engines.... If all goes well, I might get to sit a CX A343 in December!

My fav Airbus also. And the underpowering isn’t THAT obvious. let’s rather call it: taking to the skies gracefully and with dignity. The A346 has much more power in that aspect but also other engines.

That's so much more generous than whatever KLM offers

You mean on CGK-KUL?

Yikes. Never taken easyJet and hope never to have to. I hear they're even stricter than Ryanair when it comes to cabin baggage policy. You supposedly have to pay for the bigger bags that go above your head??

easyJet imho is quite good, at least their corporate image appeals more. You have to pay for hold luggage (of course) and they guarantee a bag of certain sizes (aka a regular large handbag or trolley) can be taken on board and stored. If it’s above or you have 2, you’ll have to pay.

Anyway thanks for writing up this report!

No problem!

it's a good airline that I think has changed its image quite well

Exactly my opinion. Given the fact that they struggle financially, I hope they can live it up.

Quoting akhmad (Reply 27):
It was a tough decision, but A380 has won at the end.

It’ll be a good flight on EK, I’m sure  

Quoting akhmad (Reply 27):
Regular Boeing 737-800 and a new type, CRJ1000!

Especially that CRK sound exciting   

Quoting QatarA340 (Reply 28):
Thank you very much for your Trip Report, I really enjoyed reading every bit of it

Thank you, that’s good to hear!

Quoting QatarA340 (Reply 28):
The 777 is a wonderful aircraft; and especially in Garuda's Fleet. I am glad they used 3-3-3- seating back in economy

I can only agree. Economy is very spacious and attractive.

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

pokfur

Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:08 pm

Quoting sultanils (Reply 29):
You mean on CGK-KUL?

No, I flew LHR-AMS on KLM last year (there's a TR of it somewhere here on a.net...) and all we got was some measly cookie or something. At least here you had a wrap and a cake!

pokfur

jwhite9185

Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:26 pm

Hi there Nils, great read as usual. And pictures - I like how you always seem to find creative angles!

The flight seemed pretty good to me - shame it wasn't operating back in May, as it looked like it was far better than the WX flight I took back from the meet. And around £100 cheaper too! Ah well...

Looking forward to more

sultanils
Topic Author

Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:10 am

Quoting jwhite9185 (Reply 31):
Hi there Nils, great read as usual.

Hi James, thanks man!

And pictures - I like how you always seem to find creative angles!

Thank you, I try to be innovative lol 

The flight seemed pretty good to me - shame it wasn't operating back in May, as it looked like it was far better than the WX flight I took back from the meet.

You flew WX AMS-LGW  Wow!

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

OA260

Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:27 am

Hey Nils  

Great report nothing else expected. Entertaining read and lovely photos with some great views. Love the intro pic too  

For sure a no brainer to try this out for the price. A great way to bag this airline and aircraft without the pain of Longhaul travel. Good they manage to dish out those wraps on such a short hop. BMI used to serve those in their Prem Y so kudos to GA for that.

Their Prem classes look lovely.

Shame about the App problem loosing your EZY BP and also a bit crazy you had to stand in line for 40 mins. They really should provide SSK's for people that need just a re print.

Anyway glad you had a nice trip my friend.

Looking forward to the next report.

Regards

Philip  

PlaneHunter

Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:07 pm

Hi Nils,

great report with great pictures as usual! Very good idea to try GA's 77W on that route which is certainly very tempting. I would have immediately started to build an itinerary if I hadn't already tried GA during one of my last few Asia trips.

The interior looks nice, great to see the combo of brown and blue in the 777, too.

There’s not a single soul around at the check in area - except for the agents of course - and I’m quickly and friendly attended to at the First Class desk. I sheepishly ask if this means that I’m being upgraded, being checked in at this ‘special’ desk but the lady replies smiling that ‘I cannot do that unfortunately’.

That would have been an extra treat!

And already quite dirty! Look at that gray layer!

I don't use those either...

Or would you rather store your car?

Oh, that looks horrible!

PH
Nothing's worse than flying the same reg twice!

sultanils
Topic Author

Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:50 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 33):
Hey Nils

Hey Philip my friend, thanks for reading and replying.

Great report nothing else expected. Entertaining read and lovely photos with some great views. Love the intro pic too

Thanks for your kind words, I’m glad you enjoyed your morning read  

For sure a no brainer to try this out for the price. A great way to bag this airline and aircraft without the pain of Longhaul travel.

Exactly and considering the price paid, it’s by far the best option or this route.

Good they manage to dish out those wraps on such a short hop.

Oh, yes, I expected something but getting a (double) wrap was a nice and welcome surprise.

Their Prem classes look lovely

They do and I guess the service is very good too, wouldn’t mind to spend +12h in one of those seats!

They really should provide SSK's for people that need just a re print.

They should, not a whole terminal full but at least a couple to help out people like me 

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 34):
Hi Nils

Good day PH, thank you for your commentary.

great report with great pictures as usual!

Many thanks!

I would have immediately started to build an itinerary if I hadn't already tried GA during one of my last few Asia trips.

I immediately did   But didn’t you just fly a GA B738? This is the real thing, a T7 - your favourite Boeing 

The interior looks nice, great to see the combo of brown and blue in the 777, too.

Oh yes, very nice and warm colors. In general a pleasant place to be in.

That would have been an extra treat!

It would although I knew it wasn’t going to happen.

And already quite dirty!

And patched up in a few places.

I don't use those either...

Imho they just add unnecessary weight...

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

CaptainRed

Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:02 pm

Hi Nils,

great report with wonderful pictures as usual, well done. Garuda looks really nice on this flight, just a shame it is only a short hop. Guess you wouldn't have minded to spend more time on board of this beautiful 777 (but then, you managed two snack boxes, so it was probably ok   ).

Anyway this flight is something for me to try out as well. I just hope it will stay around for a while since there is quite some competition on this route.

Next is the economy class which looks very stylish and appealing with a mix of dark brown and blue.

Hmm, well, don't agree on the colors here, but it is something different for sure.

The views down are pretty cool

Indeed, and LGW sees a lot of interesting traffic it seems. I especially liked the Vietnam Airlines plane, brings back nice memories of my trip with them last year.

CaptainRed

[Edited 2014-09-23 11:03:10]

sultanils
Topic Author

Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:58 am

Quoting CaptainRed (Reply 36):
Hi Nils

Hello CR, good to hear from you!

great report with wonderful pictures as usual, well done.

Thanks very much!

just a shame it is only a short hop.

The only negative point for this flight, it might have lasted longer!

Guess you wouldn't have minded to spend more time on board of this beautiful 777

No, I don’t mind at all. All the utilities are there to make a longhaul flight comfortable.

Anyway this flight is something for me to try out as well. I just hope it will stay around for a while since there is quite some competition on this route.

It is not so much the competition I guess, just more a fact of GA keeping it up given their financial situation. I hope you will be able to sample the flight anytime soon.

Hmm, well, don't agree on the colors here

Wait until you see it in real, they look really good.

I especially liked the Vietnam Airlines plane, brings back nice memories of my trip with them last year.

I thought of you by seeing this plane. Don’t know if it’s the same reg you flew on though...

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

OA260

Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:21 pm

By the way Nils do you think you would have made a same day GA turn around booking two one ways or would it not have been possible ?

Philip  

sultanils
Topic Author

Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:42 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 38):
By the way Nils do you think you would have made a same day GA turn around booking two one ways or would it not have been possible ?

I tried that but came up with an error every time just before payment bcc. So I guess the software does check for such events?

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

OA260

Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:31 pm

Quoting sultanils (Reply 39):
I tried that but came up with an error every time just before payment bcc. So I guess the software does check for such events?

I was thinking if you did one booking AMS-LGW and then later went online again to book LGW-AMS. You have two PNR references but was it actually possible in reality to arrive and then get back to the aircraft or do you think you would have missed it?

sultanils
Topic Author

Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:34 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 40):
I was thinking if you did one booking AMS-LGW and then later went online again to book LGW-AMS. You have two PNR references

I know what you mean and that’s also what I tried but I thing the system counterchecks whether you are on the same plane/flight back or something alike. In any case, it didn’t work 

Quoting OA260 (Reply 40):
but was it actually possible in reality to arrive and then get back to the aircraft or do you think you would have missed it

Theoretically it should be possible, that is: if you have a boarding pass. As I checked in on my mobile, I didn’t obtain one as the system doesn’t provide it but I guess if you check in via the regular website, you can print your own and then you’re fine. Immigration and security can be a guess as well, if you’re stuck then you can forget it. And there is no airside connection at least not to my knowledge...

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

eastafspot

Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:00 pm

Hi Nils,

What a nice surprise full of great pics from you. Congrats for being the first to report this new sector which, hopefully will last a while since it appears as a good way to earn some extra Flying Blue segments at a fair price!
Even for a short flight, the service is decent and i like very much the colors of the cabin.
Well done for your first time in LGW, i must admit this bridge allows photographers to take some beautiful shots from above.

Many thanks for sharing  
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !

airbuseric

Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:32 am

Hi Nils

good to see your GA experience and congratulation on logging your first flight on them.

As I have quite a few flights on GA done, including this 777 AMS-LGW vv flight twice, I am not sure if this is the best option to choose on the route, but nevertheless it is the most interesting one for sure.
While service is sufficient enough, one might expect at least coffee/tea/juices, but none of those are available.

BA is definitely the best option for the average traveller, with better frequency to make you maximize time in either London or Amsterdam, BA serves a sandwich in the morning which is equivalent to the GA wrap, and BA does serve a large variety of drinks. In addition the build up of Executive Miles, where as far as I know those cheap fares on GA do not give miles on e.g. Flying Blue (correct me if I'm wrong).

My experience on GA was far from good on the LGW-AMS sector, with a large delay and all the things around that delay, showing that GA is by far on par with other airlines.

Good pics as usual and a nice day out for you this way  

Eric
"The whole world steps aside for the man who knows where he is going"

sultanils
Topic Author

Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:23 pm

Quoting eastafspot (Reply 42):
Hi Nils

Hello Léonard, good to hear from you!

What a nice surprise full of great pics from you.

Thank you, I’m glad you enjoyed the story.

Congrats for being the first to report this new sector which, hopefully will last a while since it appears as a good way to earn some extra Flying Blue segments at a fair price!

Looks like I got myself a premiere indeed   Alas, no FB miles for these ultracheap booking classes... But I don’t mind that!

the service is decent and i like very much the colors of the cabin.

No complaints on the service and also the cabin looked very nice and inviting.

Well done for your first time in LGW, i must admit this bridge allows photographers to take some beautiful shots from above.

Yeah, those view from the bridge are really great, especially on the planes right underneath as you can see them from an unusual angle. For the rest, my first LGW experience was one to be soon forgotten hopefully.

Quoting airbuseric (Reply 43):
Hi Nils

Hello Eric.

good to see your GA experience and congratulation on logging your first flight on them.

Thanks, good to hear you liked the story!

While service is sufficient enough, one might expect at least coffee/tea/juices, but none of those are available.

No coffee/tea or juices indeed but the water was just what I needed. It does save them some time in the service methinks if they do it the way they did.

BA is definitely the best option for the average traveller, with better frequency to make you maximize time in either London or Amsterdam, BA serves a sandwich in the morning which is equivalent to the GA wrap, and BA does serve a large variety of drinks. In addition the build up of Executive Miles, where as far as I know those cheap fares on GA do not give miles on e.g. Flying Blue (correct me if I'm wrong).

No FB miles indeed for this flight. Indeed BA is a more ‘regular’ and better option in regards of frequency, service and miles. But not for ‘exoticness’ if that’s a term  

with a large delay and all the things around that delay

Oh my, not good. Handling issues?

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

N1120A

Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:40 pm

Quoting ba319-131 (Reply 24):

Dislike? You’d rather have 3-4-3

- No, but I'd rather have 2-4-2 or 2-3-2 on the 767

I'd rather have the original 2-5-2 configuration.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

sultanils
Topic Author

Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:57 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 45):
I'd rather have the original 2-5-2 configuration.

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

adamspotter

Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:32 pm

Hoi Nils!

Another masterpiece you made here, really enjoyed it! Great idea to try out Garuda's new 5th freedom route, going to need to try it out myself before it dissapears! The service and hard product look very nice, wouldn't mind spending 10+ hours in there!
Hopefully Garuda will start turning profits and the AMS route will stay, I hear those 77Ws fly quite empty to AMS..

First off, let’s get a boarding pass! Garuda’s check in is done at departures 3...

Interesting to see them using departures 3 and the G gates despite them being part of ST and partners with KLM..

Great shot, what a beauty  
A minor disadvantage would be that the IFE is not of the touchscreen type

Why would that be a disadvantage? It keeps people behind you from hitting the screen too hard when the touch screen isn't working well..

Cathay Pacific is still here with their A343 to HKG. This reminds me of my trip to Vietnam now already 7 years ago where I took the very same airline, the very same plane type at the very same gate. Ah, nostalgy...

Nice memories, they serve AMS with a 77W now I believe, or are planning too at least!

Thanks for sharing!

cheers,

Brendan

signol

Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:12 pm

Excellent Nils, as usual! Even more so as I booked myself a little trip on GA in January (I sincerely hope they are still flying the tag on then!)
Looks all good service wise too, and a nice Y seat - especially with power! Not too useful on a short hop though, but great on a long flight.
Easyjet look, well, normal.
Thanks  
signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

sultanils
Topic Author

Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:05 am

Quoting adamspotter (Reply 47):
Hoi Nils!

Hey Brendan, thanks for your reply.

Another masterpiece you made here, really enjoyed it!

Dank je!

Great idea to try out Garuda's new 5th freedom route, going to need to try it out myself before it dissapears!

You really should, it’s a great opportunity to try this nice airlines. It does occur to me that you haven’t flown much lately or am I wrong? Still waiting for a few TR’s of yours too  

I hear those 77Ws fly quite empty to AMS.

They seem do so yes, unfortunately... At least the loadfactor for the LGW rotation was not too shabby.

Interesting to see them using departures 3 and the G gates despite them being part of ST and partners with KLM.

I’m no AMS connoisseur but I guess ST and the KLM use a different area then?

Great shot, what a beauty

Why would that be a disadvantage? It keeps people behind you from hitting the screen too hard when the touch screen isn't working well.

That may be true but I find the touchscreen system more convenient.

they serve AMS with a 77W now I believe

They do. Afaik they have only used A340’s and B747’s to AMS?

Quoting signol (Reply 48):
Excellent Nils, as usual!

Hi signol, thanks for stopping by.

Even more so as I booked myself a little trip on GA in January

That’s good to know, I’m sure you’ll enjoy. Now you need to change your signature lol!

Looks all good service wise too, and a nice Y seat - especially with power!

Yeah - the seats are well equipped for their purpose which is longhaul flying   

Easyjet look, well, normal.

Does exactly what it says on the tin - so to speak. No complaints there!

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.