Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flymia

RE: AA Flagship Suites First Class 777-200 MIA✈LAX✈MIA

Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:34 am

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 95):
I found out JFK-YVR-JFK is ran on a 773, and not a 744 like I hoped. Sadface, I was about to book an F ticket.

While I agree the 744 is a cool airplane to fly, especially as there are less and less of them the 773 is a fantastic airplane. I have no idea how much an actual ticket on MIA-JFK-YVR-HKG F would cost, probably an insane price but save the miles/use the miles and fly that flight who cares if its on 77W which is a great airplane.

Check it out here: Cathay Does It Best! First & J MIA-LAX-HKG-HND (by flymia Mar 7 2014 in Trip Reports)

If you thought this flight had good service... Well the two levels of services really can't be compared CX makes AA look like NK.

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 95):
Great program, even if you're not into the military bit.
Quoting Miami (Reply 91):

There should be a MIA meet up at some point.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

lpdal
Topic Author

Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:49 am

Quoting flymia (Reply 101):
While I agree the 744 is a cool airplane to fly, especially as there are less and less of them the 773 is a fantastic airplane.

Only a single 744 flight right now...   

I have no idea how much an actual ticket on MIA-JFK-YVR-HKG F would cost, probably an insane price but save the miles/use the miles and fly that flight who cares if its on 77W which is a great airplane.

I'm not sure if there is a same day routing (probably not) but if I'm going to approve $6,200 you bet I would stay a night in Vancouver. I really want to do it when it is snowing, though (not just cold and sunshine because that is just nonsensical...). Ah, snow.    Love it! My comfort hotel brands are Marriott, Swissotel (oh my gosh the UIO one!  &nbsp , and InterContinental. I already have all my snow gear so I'm going to make it happen...
So all you people who have asked me to write a CX report......Yep, it's happening! In a few...

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3930/15440695871_dab7011ef7_c.jpg

Well the two levels of services really can't be compared CX makes AA look like NK.

Hey! I love my hometown airline (s) if you include 3M ) NK. Especially the ultra-cheap and comfortable Big Front Seat.   

There should be a MIA meet up at some point.

Suresh listed it on a Thursday School Day. Maybe next year, because I'm not playing hooky. Not how I roll. At all.

-LPDAL

[Edited 2014-10-04 22:12:10]

[Edited 2014-10-04 22:14:38]

[Edited 2014-10-04 22:16:28]

[Edited 2014-10-04 23:00:11]
TWU represented. All of my views and posted content are mine alone, and should not be viewed as official communication from my employer, its subsidiaries thereof, or any other entities or airlines.

flymia

Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:54 am

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 102):
So all you people who have asked me to write a CX report......Yep, it's happening! In a few...
$6,200

I said use the miles, and I would use the miles to go to HKG. Again with the prices too. No one cares how much you spend. Your'e crazy and who ever is giving you the money is too. But its your money.

That being said. Look forward to reading the report. I guarantee you will have a great flight!

Only a single 744 flight right now...

Glad I got to get on a CX one before they were gone. Really awesome airplane.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

DLX737200

Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:56 am

Quoting flymia (Reply 103):
I said use the miles, and I would use the miles to go to HKG. Again with the prices too. No one cares how much you spend. Your'e crazy and who ever is giving you the money is too. But its your money.

Agreed. We didn't need to know the price. I commend you, Colby, for not including the fare in the CX website screenshot but you just couldn't resist dropping the price in your comments, eh?

Quoting 9w748capt (Reply 93):
One piece of advice is that yes you're only 18, but the decisions you make now will impact you forever. Like I said, if you want to burn $2500 on full fare F just for the hell of it, you go for it! But I'm not sure what drives you to spend your money like this - is it insecurity? Lack of acceptance elsewhere? I'm not sure.

His frequent request for comments, the frustrations he's shared about how some CX trip report in Y gets a ton of comments and his F class daytrips only get a few, and his frequently excitement over the number of comments this trip report has received reminds me of a few things. Allow me to share a story:

When I first started uploading photos to A.net at age 16, I remember getting very excited by the number of hits my photos received. I was just like Colby in that I would get upset when my "rare" photos would only get 200 hits but some "boring and common" Southwest 737 would get thousands of hits. I looked to A.net for popularity and acceptance, something my real life lacked in high school, as I was a loner and a social outcast, much like Colby describes himself to be.

As a married adult with a family of my own now, I've realized how stupid and ridiculous I was searching for acceptance and attention through the internet. Colby will get there too as he ages and I believe he will one day look back on these trip reports and understand what we are all talking about. Until then, he'll continue to try and impress us by his trip reports, full fare F flights and, above all, the exorbitant price he can afford. No offense, Colby.

9w748capt

Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:21 pm

Quoting DLX737200 (Reply 104):
Agreed. We didn't need to know the price. I commend you, Colby, for not including the fare in the CX website screenshot but you just couldn't resist dropping the price in your comments, eh?

Haha seriously! The kid (and he is only a kid after all) just doesn't get it, but that's okay - most 18 year olds don't, no matter how much they think they do (I certainly was one of those).

Colby look man if you want to keep blowing thousands of dollars on full fare F day trips, then you go do that. If that's all you have going in life, then do it! Life is short. But it's just staggering how much money you blow on these things. You live a very atypical life in that you act as though you have all this disposable income - but you don't really seem to have any of the other responsibilities such as rent, a car payment, paying for your own insurance, a family, etc. With the money you've spent on this "day-tripping", you could easily put down a down payment on a house or condo. I don't mean to beat a dead horse so I'll stop now. But surely your parents/family have given you similar advice?

Anyway, stop throwing it in our faces how much you spend on these day trips. I didn't care before and didn't really see why people above were posting such inflammatory comments, but I see it now. I don't think you really see how insane it is what you do. My wife and I are both doing quite well for ourselves, yet we would never even think about flying full fare F anywhere. You crave all this attention and positive feedback from a.net, yet you don't seem to care just how badly you're rubbing people the wrong way. Your call dude.

N62NA

Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:25 pm

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 100):
One of the things I love about these AA flights was that the First Class attendants LAUGHED when appropriate and professionally. I can't stand uptightness. I'm not making generalizations, but humor goes a long way with me.

I also like the fact that most all of the AA flight attendants I've had (both in F and Y) have just the right mix of formality and informality. And as someone who likes the informal approach more than the formal, this suits me just fine.

einsteinboricua

Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:35 pm

LPDAL, it's your money so do what the hell you want with it - but spending $2500 just to fly across the country and back in full fare F just so you can say you did it - is just dumb.
But I'm not sure what drives you to spend your money like this - is it insecurity?

Forget about spending money...it's his. I don't see why there's the flaunting of it.

Quoting DLX737200 (Reply 104):

With a simple "I'm confirmed for a CX flight" it would have been just fine. Not only was the price dropped in the comments, no effort was made to conceal the class structure (F) and the miles earned.

Yep, it's happening! In a few...

In your effort to show us your booking, you succeeded in blocking the total price (though it was dropped in the comments) and showing us the class (full refundable first class), the miles earned...and the booking number.

Normally this would not be an issue, but with your name posted everywhere on this thread...

Nice going   
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

DLX737200

Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:55 pm

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 107):

In your effort to show us your booking, you succeeded in blocking the total price (though it was dropped in the comments) and showing us the class (full refundable first class), the miles earned...and the booking number.

Normally this would not be an issue, but with your name posted everywhere on this thread...

He must be ignoring the responses to this thread at this point since he still had his CX confirmation image posted. I don't know if he realizes that anyone could do anything to his reservation with the information he's posted. Cancel it, change it, etc.

flymia

Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:46 pm

Quoting DLX737200 (Reply 108):
He must be ignoring the responses to this thread at this point since he still had his CX confirmation image posted. I don't know if he realizes that anyone could do anything to his reservation with the information he's posted. Cancel it, change it, etc.

Very true. Did not even think of that, anyone has all the info they would need in the thread. But its a fully refundable ticket I presume.

Forget about spending money...it's his. I don't see why there's the flaunting of it

Exactly. It is his (his families) money. They can do with it as they wish. I have some extremely wealthy friends, I have people I know with their own private jets and they even don't discuss money like he does. He just spent more money many people on here make in a month on a trip that is barely a day. $6,200 my girlfriend and I can go to Paris for two weeks for that type of money.

It's not the issue that you spend money Colby, that is fine. People who are fortunate enough to have money should spend money. But there is no reason to flaunt it around, especially the amount you are spending on day trips. You need to realize to most people $6,200 is a ton of money. And it is classless and egotistical to be just throwing out that type of figure around.

With a simple "I'm confirmed for a CX flight" it would have been just fine.

This Colby ^ that is all you needed to say. Even you could had said I am confirmed on a CX flight in First. We don't know to know the price, whether you used miles or not etc..

I really want to do it when it is snowing, though (not just cold and sunshine because that is just nonsensical...). Ah, snow.

I does not snow much in Vancouver. Especially in October.

[Edited 2014-10-06 07:50:40]

einsteinboricua

Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:52 pm

Quoting flymia (Reply 109):
He just spent more money many people on here make in a month on a trip that is barely a day.

That's more than double what I make in a month, not counting tax deductions which essentially take a big portion out of my paycheck, and not counting bills to pay.

Quoting flymia (Reply 109):
And it is classless and egotistical to be just throwing out that type of figure around.

It's not when it's a luxury or a necessity. Heck, I've said that if I ever win a Powerball jackpot the first thing in mind is an F class fare with EK to try their suites. Luxuries should not be frowned upon if there's the money for them.

It becomes so when someone goes bragging/showing off how they can do it...because I'm certain that people here would throw money around because they had a trip they needed to make (honeymoon, part of a job, upgrade for a long flight, etc.)

I haven't seen any member here, on even the most high end trips, brag on how they spent X amount of money because they could. If any, they're few and details are kept to a minimum.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

flymia

Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:11 pm

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 110):
It's not when it's a luxury or a necessity. Heck, I've said that if I ever win a Powerball jackpot the first thing in mind is an F class fare with EK to try their suites. Luxuries should not be frowned upon if there's the money for them.

It becomes so when someone goes bragging/showing off how they can do it...because I'm certain that people here would throw money around because they had a trip they needed to make (honeymoon, part of a job, upgrade for a long flight, etc.)

I haven't seen any member here, on even the most high end trips, brag on how they spent X amount of money because they could. If any, they're few and details are kept to a minimum

Exactly. The problem is not the going on the F day trip. The problem is stating the figures involved in paying for it. Talking about the full refundable fare etc.. There are trip reports on here with much more impressive tickets, or even some private jet flights. No issues about that at all. They are awesome. I've never seen money mentioned ever on trip reports unless it was about finding an awesome deal or how much of a rip off a coffee is at the airport.

pmanchuk

Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:56 am

Just a side note on this whole convo (which I swore I'd not get involved in... and here I am a second time). I tend to look at a person's actions/words - whether things add up or do not - and personally I just don't know what to think since as the posting has progressed, it tends to raise more questions than answering them... whether this is simply a youthful member here who has yet to fully comprehend the idea of certain things being in less than good taste due to age and excitability, or perhaps someone who is proactively creating a persona for himself that may not be 100% accurate while getting a "kick" out of pushing some of our buttons - I'm just a bit on the fence (ie. stating 18 years of age and employed at McDonald's with travel habits of day trips supported by investments within posts vs. a profile that says 21 - 25 age range working at BestBuy)

While I do not doubt he's taken the trips in these reports (and do genuinely enjoy some of the "select" photos of various cabins/services), I think I'm going to err on the side of caution and take the photos at face value while leaving the majority of text and back stories alone. This forum has been one of the few sites I've regularly read for over 10 years now and this has to be the first thread that I've seen stir up this level of controversy.

jfidler

Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:40 am

I have no issue with how you spend your money -- it's your money. However, if you're going to spend $6k on a ticket, why not search for other options that may provide a better experience for the same money? For example, I think if you search around, you can find J class on CX all the way from the US to HKG for that price or less. Then you can really enjoy the experience since it's a much longer flight. More meal services, more time to enjoy the seat, etc. Is it just lack of time that you can't do that?

Since you're close to MIA, I think there would be a lot of international direct routes you could try in J for the same price or less, and spend a lot more time on the plane enjoying the service. I'm envious in a way -- MIA has such a wide choice of international routes!

MAH4546

Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:04 am

$6,200 to fly Cathay to Vancouver?

You can buy 65,000 US Airways miles, book the same seat with miles (it's very easy to find an award seat in F on this route) and have $5k left so spend in Vancouver.

For $6k, with some smart use of US Airways and AAdvantage miles promotions, combined with the miles you have, you can fly Cathay Pacific first class between Miami and Hong Kong at least three times, and pay for a hotel night or two on every trip.

Cathay Pacific first class mileage award tickets are probably the single easiest award seats to grab on any major airline.

But if you want to spend the money anyway, Cathay puts all it's U.S. gateways on sale in First for about $8k round-trip once or twice a year. Might as well spend an extra $1,800 and get to Hong Kong.

[Edited 2014-10-07 02:05:31]
a.

fbgdavidson

Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:22 pm

Quoting ORDJOE (Reply 115):
1. You are reading a trip report on a first class product, the pax paid a lot one way or the other to sit up front. Already this is an experience that is out of the possiblility for many people (me included). I really can not think of how posting a first class trip report can be an undertaking in modesty or an attainable goal for those who can barely afford to fly at all

Nobody is claiming that the posting of an F class report is the problem here, there are hundreds of reports documenting more extravagant flights here.

Personally, and I'm not alone here so it seems, it's the irrelevant pretentious details that are added, most of which (IMO) add nothing to the report that have rubbed people the wrong way. I've spent a lot of time with extremely wealthy people and the vast majority severely play down their wealth and don't make a big deal over it. A little modesty goes a long way.

I could see some potential justification for including the fare cost but I personally think it's not relevant and I'd never add it to my reports. If someone was keen to know and asked me in one of my reports I'd tell them via PM.

Then to make it even more silly in previous reports he's written he's wondered why he gets negative comments and then commits the same fouls here, even upping the ante, and whinges again! In case the incessant begging for comments and feedback hadn't give the game away it's straight up attention seeking, IMO. Additionally posting the confirmation of your upcoming flights is completely idiotic.

[Edited 2014-10-07 10:25:51]
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

lpdal
Topic Author

Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:46 pm

CX report is canceled. Something came up, and I need to do something on that weekend.

It will happen though, eventually.

-LPDAL
TWU represented. All of my views and posted content are mine alone, and should not be viewed as official communication from my employer, its subsidiaries thereof, or any other entities or airlines.

flymia

Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:48 pm

Quoting ORDJOE (Reply 115):
As for the other people who are complaining about how this is a waste of money or that this guy is flaunting it

I have my own F trip reports, including one on CX. The issue is not the report or even that he is spending the money. It is the way the report speaks about money, his experiences etc..

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 117):
It will happen though, eventually.

And here is some advice to save some money when you do it. I say wait until the summer or winter break. Book something to HKG if you want to fly CX. Get the full experience. You clearly have the money to do it. And HKG is an awesome airport. You will love it. Oh and the Wing first class lounge is unlike any other I have been to.

Quoting Mah4546 (Reply 114):

$6,200 to fly Cathay to Vancouver?

You can buy 65,000 US Airways miles, book the same seat with miles (it's very easy to find an award seat in F on this route) and have $5k left so spend in Vancouver.

For $6k, with some smart use of US Airways and AAdvantage miles promotions, combined with the miles you have, you can fly Cathay Pacific first class between Miami and Hong Kong at least three times, and pay for a hotel night or two on every trip.

iowaman

Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:28 am

LPDAL,

This was a great report into the insight of what it's like to be treated as a first class flyer. The pictures and detail are awesome.

Do what YOU want to do regarding future flights. I do not know your monetary situation, nor is it my business, but if you enjoy it, do it. If you can take some of this advice from previous posters and save some money, then that makes it even better.

I only wish I had the money to do these flights you do. But I am not going to be jealous and spew negativity towards you because of it.

lpdal
Topic Author

Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:40 am

Is anyone going to be in ATL today on Friday, October 10th? I'm going lounge hopping!

Good morning from the W Fort Lauderdale Hotel everyone!

I'll be pulling up to the gate at ATL at around 3:50 PM. I am planning to "lounge hop", that is, to go to the United Club (Club Card), the Delta Sky Club (two daypasses), and The Club at ATL. If you'd like to club with me, drop me a note here or via PM! Willing to spread some love around as I have a 6 hour layover.....

Quoting iowaman (Reply 120):
LPDAL,

This was a great report into the insight of what it's like to be treated as a first class flyer. The pictures and detail are awesome.

Do what YOU want to do regarding future flights. I do not know your monetary situation, nor is it my business, but if you enjoy it, do it. If you can take some of this advice from previous posters and save some money, then that makes it even better.

I only wish I had the money to do these flights you do. But I am not going to be jealous and spew negativity towards you because of it.

Hi Iowaman and it's great to see a staff moderator comment on my thread. I wonder if Pat (Jetblueguy22) has viewed it as well? I enjoy both of your posts and it's great seeing these replies from mods only some years older than me! 

I hope to see you in seat 1B in a few years on a flight to DSM!  

-LPDAL

gbrazil

Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:40 pm

Wow, what an amazing day! Thanks for this excellent report! I hope one day I can do the same  
A318 A319 A320 A321 A330 ATR 72 737 767 777 E-175 E-190 E-195 F-100

lpdal
Topic Author

Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:00 pm

Quoting gbrazil (Reply 122):

GBrazil,

Thanks for a very nice comment! If you ever end up doing something like this, please report on it! 

-LPDAL

lpdal
Topic Author

Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:12 am

Hi guys....And wow...

I had a sudden clarity moment today. For whatever reason, I was bored and decided to read this report from start to finish...you guys were 100% right, it reeks of pretentiousness and "DYKWIA" douchebaggery....I just want to say I'm sorry for being immature and shooting all of your advice down. It really hit me as I read the words a few weeks later.

Please don't give up on me...I'm not a lost cause, I promise...

EDIT: And I didn't want to mention it, but I have Asperger's Syndrome--a few people on here and FT have hinted about it, but I figured I would make it known, for better or worse.

-LPDAL

[Edited 2014-10-13 23:15:37]

gkirk

Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:38 pm

It's taken me an hour to read this whole thread, oh my   

I suggest you should try a trip on Thomas Cook Airlines, on a 752 on a saturday night between Glasgow and Ibiza  
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

777ord

Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:19 pm

wow... Certainly the most DETAILED AA TR I've seen in quite some time!!!

Odd comment, you and I have sat in the exact same seat on N780AN! I sat in that seat on ORD-NRT on AA153 years ago! when I worked for AA. Crazy!

Glad you enjoyed yourself!

IADCA

Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:02 pm

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 124):
EDIT: And I didn't want to mention it, but I have Asperger's Syndrome--a few people on here and FT have hinted about it, but I figured I would make it known, for better or worse.

It's obviously for the better, as it explains a lot of the behaviors and tendencies that come through painfully clearly in your trip reports. Many of them are behaviors you can tone down and be better perceived socially without sacrificing any of your fundamental personality.

My only overall comment - besides the attitudinal undertones that have already been discussed to death - is that the report is far too long. The number of pictures is excessive: for example, I'd imagine everyone on this site has a good idea what the inside of a jetbridge looks like, and none of us really need to see two separate shots of the nose of a 777 taken through a rain-covered window. The details are too minute (and occasionally borderline personally invasive, as in the unnecessary paragraph-long digression regarding a man taking photos). When writing, shorter is almost always better.

Quoting gkirk (Reply 125):
I suggest you should try a trip on Thomas Cook Airlines, on a 752 on a saturday night between Glasgow and Ibiza  

I doubt he'd be able to understand a single word the other passengers were saying, nor would he want to.

gkirk

Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:05 pm

Quoting IADCA (Reply 127):
I doubt he'd be able to understand a single word the other passengers were saying, nor would he want to.

Probably true, but it's an experience everyone should do at least once  
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

DLX737200

Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:45 am

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 124):
Hi guys....And wow...

I had a sudden clarity moment today. For whatever reason, I was bored and decided to read this report from start to finish...you guys were 100% right, it reeks of pretentiousness and "DYKWIA" douchebaggery....I just want to say I'm sorry for being immature and shooting all of your advice down. It really hit me as I read the words a few weeks later.

Please don't give up on me...I'm not a lost cause, I promise...

We're making progress!   

And I'm glad you shared your AS with us. That actually explains A LOT!

BTW, and I don't mean for this to be mean, has anyone ever told you that you bear a slight resemblance to Christopher Mintz-Plasse, the actor that played Fogel (aka McLovin) on Superbad?

I think I see it:

Big version: Width: 686 Height: 393 File size: 95kb

[Edited 2014-10-14 21:56:09]

lpdal
Topic Author

Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:55 pm

Quoting DLX737200 (Reply 129):

Thanks for giving me another chance, but I didn't catch your real name. I'm writing my next report right now, and I have incorporated several suggestions into it. Plus, I might be going to CVG on Sunday, so I'm looking forward to that as well.

No, I've never seen that comparison drawn before, but I do have several doppelgängers in South Florida.  Must say, the resemblance is uncanny! 

Thanks again, hope I can learn your name!  

-LPDAL

yvrtoyyz

Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:41 pm

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 130):
but I didn't catch your real name.
Quoting LPDAL (Reply 130):
hope I can learn your name!

Why must you learn formal names on an anonymous internet forum?

DLX737200

Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:10 pm

Yeah sorry Colby. I don't give up my real name on here. When you work in aviation and post on an aviation board, anonymity is the name of the game. You may call me DLX737200.

lpdal
Topic Author

Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:31 pm

Well, I hope I am not screwed by the fact that my real name is up there. The reason I tag it, however, is because I don't have anything to hide. Not saying you do, but you get it.

Actually, I have been talked to by an aviation employer about these trip reports. The MQ talent manager in DFW personally called me to attend an interview for a set of available Cross-Utilized-Station-Agent positions in PNS ("I love the detail and enthusiasm you have for aviation, and I am personally...") , but I just couldn't bring myself to move up to Pensacola for a $9.50 an hour job. He said he didn't have anything available in MIA, PBI, or FLL, and for that matter FLL is one of AA's most senior crew bases--despite only having DFW, ORD, and PAP flights...?

FLL-ATL-SRQ-ATL-FLL DL F report to visit my brother is being written as we speak.

Anyway, my next two trips are going to be to JAX and CVG:

10/18/2014 - MIA-JAX-MIA AA E75 F and Ritz
10/19/2014 - PBI-ATL-CVG-ATL-FLL DL F and Cincinnati--I'm going to visit a good female friend ("friend"   ) in the city, packing my coat now  

Followed by

11/21/2014 - MIA-TPA-MIA AA and US F, for my cousin's baptism
11/30/2014 - FLL-ATL-MSP-ATL-FLL DL B747-400 (            ) BusinessElite

12/28/2014 - FLL-ATL-FLL FL (AirTran) J 717-200 - Very last AirTran flights to and from FLL.   

All listed trips are confirmed and ticketed.

-LPDAL

flymia

Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:39 am

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 133):
Actually, I have been talked to by an aviation employer about these trip reports. The MQ talent manager in DFW personally called me to attend an interview for a set of available Cross-Utilized-Station-Agent positions in PNS ("I love the detail and enthusiasm you have for aviation, and I am personally...") , but I just couldn't bring myself to move up to Pensacola for a $9.50 an hour job. He said he didn't have anything available in MIA, PBI, or FLL, and for that matter FLL is one of AA's most senior crew bases--despite only having DFW, ORD, and PAP flights...?

If that is something you are interested in Silver Airways and NK are hiring very often in FLL.

lpdal
Topic Author

Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:54 pm

Quoting flymia (Reply 134):

I'm not trying to be snarky, but believe me, I have applied to 20+ ramper, CSA, and aircraft cleaner jobs. The MQ talent manager loved my résumé and reports, but I just couldn't bring myself to move to PNS for a job I might not even get. I would LOVE to be around 3M's Saabs or NK Airbii but it seems nobody is hiring.

It's not like I have a short résumé. It's actually filled with both paid work experience and hundreds of volunteer service hours with the Civil Air Patrol as a SM/2nd Lieutenant. So it's not like I'm applying for pipedream jobs here. Again I would gladly work for any airline but it seems no one around here is hiring.

-LPDAL

Osubuckeyes

Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:05 pm

10/18/2014 - MIA-JAX-MIA AA E75 F and Ritz
11/21/2014 - MIA-TPA-MIA AA and US F, for my cousin's baptism

I love flying as much as anyone on here, but aren't these relatively short drives? Just curious as to why someone to choose the hassle of flying when the drive is equal if not shorter, and you have your car at the destination.

lpdal
Topic Author

Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:29 pm

Quoting osubuckeyes (Reply 136):
I love flying as much as anyone on here, but aren't these relatively short drives? Just curious as to why someone to choose the hassle of flying when the drive is equal if not shorter, and you have your car at the destination.

I hope this doesn't sound pretentious (I'm really trying hard here), but when you're flying in paid first, a lot of the hassle is taken out of the flying equation due to the priority ground handling. My parents and I are actually having a friendly bet to see who can reach my Aunt/Uncle's house first. You should have seen my father's reaction when his brother told him that the baptism was over the weekend before Thanksgiving--he surely was not very happy about that.  

-LPDAL

Osubuckeyes

Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:07 pm

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 137):
I hope this doesn't sound pretentious (I'm really trying hard here), but when you're flying in paid first, a lot of the hassle is taken out of the flying equation due to the priority ground handling. My parents and I are actually having a friendly bet to see who can reach my Aunt/Uncle's house first.

I understand having F and the perks, but on a distance that short it almost always a wash.

Show up 45 minutes before flight.
One hour flight.
10-15 minutes to curb if you don't have to wait for bags.
That two hours right there just in airport time, then you consider transportation to and from your destination, possibility of delay, cancellation and being bound by flight times. It just doesn't seem like flying that distance makes sense in most cases.

But you should definitely let us know who makes it first. I'd put my money on your parents.

lpdal
Topic Author

Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:07 pm

Quoting osubuckeyes (Reply 138):

Oh yeah, there's definitely going to be a time trial theme to that report, and actually add a theme to all my reports as well. For example, I'm going to start a new "Dead Hub" series, starting with CVG and expanding into MEM, IND, PIT, RDU, CLE, etc....

-LPDAL

MAH4546

Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:10 pm

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 137):
I hope this doesn't sound pretentious (I'm really trying hard here), but when you're flying in paid first, a lot of the hassle is taken out of the flying equation due to the priority ground handling.

Stick to one airline and you'll get status and get that taken care of. Heck, just get a credit card and you're taken care. The AA WorldElite is $450/year, gets first class ground handling. priority access and AC access.
a.

flymia

Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:02 pm

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 135):
It's not like I have a short résumé. It's actually filled with both paid work experience and hundreds of volunteer service hours with the Civil Air Patrol as a SM/2nd Lieutenant. So it's not like I'm applying for pipedream jobs here. Again I would gladly work for any airline but it seems no one around here is hiring.

Well the airlines usually requires a high school degree which you don't have yet, and to be 18 years old which I don't know if you are yet.

Look into aviation management programs for college. Purdue, UND, Embry Riddle etc...

yvrtoyyz

Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:58 pm

MQ talent manager in DFW

You just don't get it. Those of us in the industry know that it is very small and many within it have moved from one airline to another so people are well known. Despite not giving their name, many in the industry know exactly who you are referring to.

You'll have to learn very quickly not to burn any bridges, call out any people and always build relations.

Edit: I should also point out that you have given out way too much information about yourself and your pretentiousness in this thread, and others, can backfire on you if the aviation industry is where you want to go.

Here's why:

Say I get a resume from a Colby McCormick. The name would pique my attention but I would leave it at that and consider your application. However, your resume likely has your address and city, possibly a date-of-birth, work experience and education. Based on the information you've given in these threads, I could logically deduct whether or not the Colby McCormack resume on my desk is you or another person with the same name.

Taking this further, if I deduct that the resume is yours and your mannerisms/pretentiousness has left me with a negative perspective, then you would not be considered for the position.

This applies to all online forums, not just a.net, FT, etc.

[Edited 2014-10-16 15:13:14]

CF-CPI

Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:12 pm

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 135):
The MQ talent manager loved my résumé and reports, but I just couldn't bring myself to move to PNS for a job I might not even get.

The normal sequence of events would be an interview, followed (possibly) by an offer, and then relocating. If you do get an offer, look into rent in the area and whether you would need a roommates or a group living situation, or whether you could get your own place. Regardless of your own desires, it would be difficult to move without a job for very practical reasons: no one would rent to you without a stream of income.

MesaFlyGuy

Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:09 am

Quoting YVRtoYYZ (Reply 142):
Edit: I should also point out that you have given out way too much information about yourself
Quoting YVRtoYYZ (Reply 142):
Here's why:

That's exactly why I don't have my name on this forum (Well, sometimes I'll give my first name, but that's very uncommon).

I know that I can be a know it all sometimes. That's why I tell my friends to let me know whenever I do it so I'll stop before it gets too annoying.   But I can also get defensive when I feel that I'm talked down to or corrected or treated rudely. I know that and I'm constantly trying not to do it but when it happens, I don't want people remembering my name when the time comes for something important in my life to happen.  

Also, Colby, being around your age on this forum I know not to get too know-it-all-ish. The rule on this forum is not to look at younger people with any less respect than one would an older person, but it definitely happens from time to time. And I don't want to be looked at differently if I have a good point to make (or I feel I do).  
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

KaiGywer

Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:19 pm

As this thread has turned into a bashfest I am locking it. I think LPDAL has gotten the advice he requested, so let's see if it gets implemented in his next reports.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an