Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

JMGRIFFIN
Topic Author

Delta 147 – Atlanta-ATL To Santiago-SCL – B767-300

Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:14 pm

My sister was studying abroad in Argentina this past semester, so McCown and I planned a trip to go and visit her. We both had a decent stockpile of Delta SkyMiles and, with the impending changes to the 2015 SkyMiles program, I really wanted to burn all of the miles that we had in the event that Delta renders them all but worthless next year.

By using Delta Skymiles, we were able to take advantage of their routing rules to have 1 free stopover and 1 free open-jaw.  It looked like this:
1. Depart Charleston-CHS, fly to Atlanta-ATL to connect to Delta 147 from ATL to Santiago, Chile-SCL. This was the beginning of our open-jaw.
2. After 2 nights in Santiago, we purchased bus tickets from Santiago, Chile to Mendoza, Argentina, where we explored the South American wine country for 3 nights.
3. From Mendoza-MDZ, we took a direct fight to Buenos Aires-AEP. The flight out of Mendoza concluded our open-jaw segment.
4. With Buenos Aires counting as our stopover, we stayed for about 5 days then began the trek home flying from Buenos Aires-EZE –> Atlanta-ATL –> Charleston-CHS.

We booked this ticket a few months ago for appx 60,000 Delta SkyMiles + $86 in taxes. Here’s all about our first leg:

Delta Flight 147 – Atlanta-ATL to Santiago-SCL – B767-300ER

Our first flight of the trip was Delta flight # 1543 from Charleston-CHS to Atlanta-ATL; Delta Gold Medallion status doesn’t often get me too much, but in this case it did get me an upgrade on the short, 41 minute flight. The only issue is that McCown, for some reason, wasn’t grouped with me for the upgrade pool so I ran over to the gate counter and tried my best to get an additional upgrade. We almost had one of these situations on our hands: Damnit Delta, why are you trying screw me?!

The gate agent was nice enough to add McCown to the list…here’s a note we had jotted down mid-flight:

"Well, off to a good start. When leaving Charleston, we both got an upgrade to Altanta-ATL. Well Delta, how many Bloody Marys can I suck down in 43 mins of flying time? 3. The answer is 3. Hope you didn’t think that was rhetorical."

BOARDING

Once in Atlanta, we made our way over from Terminal B, one of Delta’s main domestic terminals to Terminal E, the old international terminal, which is still operating some foreign flights. Despite being the World’s busiest airport by passenger traffic, Atlanta-ATL is always a breeze to navigate and, despite the low ceilings and aging design, quite a functional airport.

We made it on over to our gate, E12, with plenty of time of spare before the 9:56pm scheduled boarding time–but also not quite enough time to go to the Delta SkyClub (free with the American Express Platinum card and free for SkyTeam Elite Plus, via Delta Gold Medallion status). We instead waited around to see if we could try our luck with another sympathetic gate agent for an upgrade to BusinessElite. This proved to be a waste of time. I approached the gate when a younger looking, hopefully reasonable Delta agent was there and free and, right as I got to the stand, her older and much crabbier colleague walked up to relieve her. She was extremely unimpressed that I was bothering her with an upgrade, especially after she discovered that we were traveling on an award ticket. Oh well, good thing I have no shame.

Sarcastic rant: But seriously, why didn’t you give me an upgrade that I don’t deserve for free?!

In Delta’s, and everyone’s really, defense, we’re already doing pretty well, given that we booked an award ticket, i.e. paid just taxes on the flight (around $110) and everyone else is paying $1200+ for discounted economy and others much, much more … and we’re literally PISSED OFF that Delta does’t want to give us a free upgrade to BusinessElite. Some people. But, then again, and in our defense, economy sucks and we’re just not accustomed to it. How do you expect me to sleep on anything other than a fully FLAT bed? I digress…

Boarding started a bit late (probably closer to 10:15pm) as maintenance was still working on cleaning the aircraft from the last flight.

I would say that the worst part of boarding this Delta Boeing 767-300ER when flying economy is that the boarding door is directly behind the cockpit, so we had the pleasure of walking past all of the BusinessElite-rs getting settled into their awesome-looking seats. The only redeeming factor of this depressing, envy-inspiring march was that we got a great look at the B767-300ER’s newly refurbished premium cabin and have some pics of it:

Great view of where we wouldn’t be spending the next 10+ hours

I hope whoever sits here has a horrible flight

Delta Boeing 767-300ER BusinessElite

Delta Boeing 767-300ER Economy Comfort

We made it back to ours seats, 23 F&G, right of the wing on the right side of the plane. Again, painful that I have a clear eyesight of both BusinessElite and Economy Comfort, both of which Delta doesn’t want to give this Gold Medallion member a shot at. But, not due to lack of trying or raw effort.

The Delta app was showing ~80+ seats available in economy as we boarded, which means plenty of room to spread out. Worried that we’d pick the wrong “empty seat” and then be booted (it has sort of happened before with unfavorable results on our Turkish Airlines flight from Washington to Istanbul), we decided to just be happy that we had a window and an aisle and just relax.

THE SEAT

The seat is part of they newly refurbished Boeing 767-300ER fleet. This means brand new seats, entertainment system, etc….

I’m not ready for a formal accusation Delta, but the new “slimline” seats most definitely feel like they’ve robbed me of an inch or two of leg room. But, I was willing to look past it as I was distracted by the new, great looking IFE system. Between the new IFE, a USB port at every seat and a power plug at 1 in 2 or 1 in 3 seats, I was a happy camper.

Call me crazy, but the seats do seem less comfortable than I remember. To sound like a total jackass, it has been a while since we’ve flown in international coach, but these things seem like they’re lacking a bit of cushion?

The good news: exit row seats = a ton of leg room. The bad new: the horrible armrest that doesn’t budge

Our non-exit row seating, looks tight…

Economy cabin of Delta’s B767-300ER, configuration is 2x3x2

Economy Comfort was mostly empty, and, right as we were eyeing a quick move to the seats with more legroom, we saw a woman get kicked out by one of the flight attendants–guess they take that section pretty seriously. It then became evident as to why when they walked around the cabin attempting to sell upgrades to the E+ cabin. I didn’t bother to ask how much they would be, and apparently no one else in our shoes did either as there was no movement after their sales pitch. It’s tough to sell upgrades to people who are enjoying a relatively empty cabin; I mean, those who were lucky enough to snag an entire middle row of 3 seats to themselves have it almost as good as the business class cabin.

IN-FLIGHT ENTERTAINMENT

As I mentioned above, the entertainment system refresh was a good one. We had a fairly large touchscreen at our disposal with 1x power plugs per 2 seats and a USB at every seat. The one awkward part of the newly designed IFE is that the headphone jack plug in is at the screen, not at the armrest, meaning you’ll have to unplug every time your neighbor needs to pass over you. It also makes sleeping with the music on a bit more difficult.

I can see you from back here, BusinessElite. Can we close the curtains already?!

USB and headphone jack below every LCD

1 power plug per our 2 seats

At 10:45pm of our 10:41pm departure, forward boarding door was closed. By 10:46pm, we pushed back from gate and we had a wheels up time of 10:58pm — enroute to Santiago-SCL!

About 30 mins after take off (around 11:17pm), the flight attendants came around to distribute hot towels–ok, well really more like a luke warm paper towel. A half hour after that (appx 1 hour after pushing back from the gate, at 11:43pm), the dinner and drink service had arrived.

DINNER

The dinner options (no printed menu for this flight) consisted of a “hot chicken dish with rice, pasta or a cold Southwest salad.” We glanced at our neighbors’ and got a waft of the chicken, which actually smelled delicious and both opted for the same choice. It had a great flavor, sort of Southwest with lots of cumin?… and something that made it a little sweet. Steamed white rice was served in the middle and a blend of corn, lima beans and red peppers on the side. In McCown’s own words, “the food was the best airplane (economy) food I’ve had in recent memory….a very flavorful chicken and rice dish with vegetables and a decent chicken meat (not sketchy what-the-heck-is-that-really? cuts). It filled me up and left me ready to fall asleep … and what more can you ask for with an airplane meal?”

Dinner: hot entree + salad + bread + dessert

The “hot chicken dish,” actually quite good with a great Southwest-style flavor…

I had totally forgotten that Delta has started offering complimentary wine, beer and spirits on long-haul international flights and was pleasantly surprised to save some cash on the wine. I guess I was under the impression that Delta started giving it out for free on Transatlantic and Transpacific routes but somehow discounted the South American service. Either way, it was a nice touch and a step in the right direction from the “race to the bottom” that most airlines are going through in a quest to improve their bottom line at all costs.

BREAKFAST

Some time around 12:30am, about 1 hr 45 mins after takeoff, our meal was cleared and the cabin lights dimmed. As always, the cabin lights were back on way too soon, but a heavy sleeper would have been able to get a solid 6.5 hours of sleep–not terrible at all.

The breakfast was announced at takeoff to be served “appx 1.5 hours before landing” and, by 7am, the cabin’s lights were on and, just a few minutes later, the flight attendants had rushed around and distributed most of the breakfast trays.

Breakfast consisted of a small tray complete with a warm egg and pepper jack cheese croissant, Yoplait Greek Yogurt and a few ounces of OJ. The breakfast sandwich actually had a good bit of kick to it and wasn’t anything to complain about. Again, bravo on the food service, Delta.

By this point, we were quite close to Santiago and began descending as we made our approach.

Touch down was smooth and we had a quick taxi over to the gate. Despite the slightly delayed departure, we arrived in Santiago a few minutes before our scheduled time of 8:15am.

Next stop: customs. The best news? No more $160 reciprocity fee for US Citizens visiting Chile!

BOTTOM LINE: Free booze and a decent entertainment system made this flight abroad Delta’s new-ish B767-300ER long-haul service seem bearable–almost enough to make me overlook the reduced legroom with the “enhanced” seats.

lychemsa

RE: Delta 147 – Atlanta-ATL To Santiago-SCL – B767-300

Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:03 pm

Yes the main dish looks OK but the rest is a joke.

jetsetter629

Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:09 pm

Nice trip report. I have wondered what DL South America service is like as we see mostly Trans-Atlantic and Trans-Pacific reports.

Quoting lychemsa (Reply 1):
Next stop: customs. The best news? No more $160 reciprocity fee for US Citizens visiting Chile!

I didn't know that...great news indeed! I was in both Argentina and Chile last year and I avoided Chile's fee as I came in overland from Mendoza by bus (opposite of your trip). It has to be one of the most amazing border crossings in the world! No avoiding Argentina's fee by coming overland though  

TurkishWings

Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:59 pm

Quoting JMGRIFFIN (Thread starter):
We instead waited around to see if we could try our luck with another sympathetic gate agent for an upgrade to BusinessElite. This proved to be a waste of time. I approached the gate when a younger looking, hopefully reasonable Delta agent was there and free and, right as I got to the stand, her older and much crabbier colleague walked up to relieve her. She was extremely unimpressed that I was bothering her with an upgrade, especially after she discovered that we were traveling on an award ticket. Oh well, good thing I have no shame.

I work in a hotel and have to deal with people with "no shame" on a multiple daily basis. While you have no shame asking for a free upgrade, on an award ticket nonetheless, you are bothering the hell out of some very had working people behind the counter. Please don't...

If you think you deserve to fly in Business, by all means, buy a business class ticket...
Coffee - Tea or Me?

lpdal

Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:18 pm

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that Delta doesn't hand out complimentary upgrades on international BusinessElite flights the way they do on Domestic First Class flights. Alas, I'd like to hear why you "deserve an upgrade".

-LPDAL
TWU represented. All of my views and posted content are mine alone, and should not be viewed as official communication from my employer, its subsidiaries thereof, or any other entities or airlines.

FlightShadow

Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:57 am

Wow, you guys responding to this thread are really cranky.

Quoting TurkishWings (Reply 3):
I work in a hotel and have to deal with people with "no shame" on a multiple daily basis. While you have no shame asking for a free upgrade, on an award ticket nonetheless, you are bothering the hell out of some very had working people behind the counter. Please don't...

The most important part of this post is:

I work

You can go find a new job if it bugs you that much... Or, gripe privately to co-workers. Don't harass the guy about it in a trip report.

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 4):
I'd like to hear why you "deserve an upgrade".

He clearly stated that he didn't really deserve it, but gave it a shot because, let's be honest, an upgrade makes the flight a lot nicer. You're faulting the guy for trying? I have a family to feed and expensive career ambitions, so my most recent flight was in Y. It was a redeye in a DL 763, actually, and boy, after that flight, I'd have tried for an upgrade too if I could have. The agent said no, that's fine. Part of the job. Surely you of all people can understand someone wanting to fly in a higher class.

JMGRIFFIN, thanks. I enjoyed the report, especially your positive attitude about the food (no 'this filet mignon was frankly unimpressive') and the photos from Santiago. Any photos from the bus trip across the border?  

[Edited 2014-10-24 00:16:14]
"When the tide goes out, you can tell who was skinnydipping."

TurkishWings

Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:25 am

Quoting FlightShadow (Reply 5):
You can go find a new job if it bugs you that much... Or, gripe privately to co-workers. Don't harass the guy about it in a trip report.

So you too have no respect to those who work in service industry? If all those who thought like me found another job, you would not be able to fly or stay in a hotel...

All I am asking for is good manners and a little respect....
Coffee - Tea or Me?

AR385

Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:39 pm

Excellent trip report. I was always curious about the DL flight to deep South America. The food looks pretty good and good sized. Surprised they had that many choices on Y for a night flight.

While you have no shame asking for a free upgrade, on an award ticket nonetheless, you are bothering the hell out of some very had working people behind the counter. Please don't...

If you work in the service industry and particularly a hotel and feel so upset that a customer, who pays your salary, I may add, merely asks for an upgrade, you are in the wrong field.

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 4):
Alas, I'd like to hear why you "deserve an upgrade".

Because he can ask.

You both would be surprised how many times I´ve been upgraded on LH from C to F on MEX-FRA. And yes, just by asking nicely.

[Edited 2014-10-24 06:41:44]

JMGRIFFIN
Topic Author

Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:21 pm

If you think you deserve to fly in Business, by all means, buy a business class ticket...
Quoting LPDAL (Reply 4):

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that Delta doesn't hand out complimentary upgrades on international BusinessElite flights the way they do on Domestic First Class flights. Alas, I'd like to hear why you "deserve an upgrade".

-LPDAL

it's always fun to anticipate the responses on here. One of the bad things about the written word is that satire/sarcasm isn't always effectively communicated, I tried to avoid this by inserting the following disclaimer "Sarcastic rant:" before continuing.

I clearly do not "deserve an upgrade", in fact, no one really ever "deserves" an upgrade and it's that sense of entitlement and attitude that I hate and was picking on here in my next paragraph: "But seriously, why didn’t you give me an upgrade that I don’t deserve for free?! In Delta’s, and everyone’s really, defense, we’re already doing pretty well, given that we booked an award ticket, i.e. paid just taxes on the flight (around $110) and everyone else is paying $1200+ for discounted economy and others much, much more … and we’re literally PISSED OFF that Delta does’t want to give us a free upgrade to BusinessElite. Some people. But, then again, and in our defense, economy sucks and we’re just not accustomed to it. How do you expect me to sleep on anything other than a fully FLAT bed? I digress…"

We booked an economy ticket and are happy to fly economy. Period. I, however, do not have a problem approaching the gate agent and in a very friendly and polite way, say "hey, I'm not sure if I'm eligible for the upgrade list on this flight, and not sure if there's even any space available but would you mind checking because we'd be extremely grateful to experience the BusinessElite cabin while my wife and I are on vacation...?" The gate agent is almost always very friendly and responsive in return, again, because of the initial tone that I take. Typically I get something like, "hey, I see that you're a Gold Medallion, thank you for your business and loyalty to Delta, but unfortunately your ticket class doesn't permit you to be added to the upgrade list for this flight, so sorry." Me, "ok, thanks for checking, maybe better luck next time!" This particular time, the gate agent seemed a bit frazzled, English did not appear to be her first language and she was likely having an all around bad day. That's fine, happens to everyone. Her response was more like, you're on an award ticket, why would you be on the upgrade list? Ok, that's fine, no sense in arguing, "ok, thanks for checking!". End of story.

He clearly stated that he didn't really deserve it, but gave it a shot because, let's be honest, an upgrade makes the flight a lot nicer. You're faulting the guy for trying? I have a family to feed and expensive career ambitions, so my most recent flight was in Y. It was a redeye in a DL 763, actually, and boy, after that flight, I'd have tried for an upgrade too if I could have. The agent said no, that's fine. Part of the job. Surely you of all people can understand someone wanting to fly in a higher class.
Quoting AR385 (Reply 7):
You both would be surprised how many times I´ve been upgraded on LH from C to F on MEX-FRA. And yes, just by asking nicely.

Exactly, who knows, maybe the agent will recognize you from being a frequent flyer, or maybe they'll be having an extraordinarily good day and figure, this man/woman/boy/girl looks nice enough, I'll help them out a bit and give me a cool experience.

[Edited 2014-10-24 09:26:10]

FlightShadow

Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:57 pm

Quoting TurkishWings (Reply 6):
So you too have no respect to those who work in service industry? If all those who thought like me found another job, you would not be able to fly or stay in a hotel...

All I am asking for is good manners and a little respect....

I also work in the service industry, and have done so for several years. It seems we have differing opinions on what constitutes good manners and respect. It's one thing to be annoyed and have feathers ruffled at work, but another to respond to a trip report with 'People like you bother the hell out of me.'

On the plus side, if it bothers the "hell" out of you, you are no doubt saintly by now 

Quoting JMGRIFFIN (Reply 8):
I, however, do not have a problem approaching the gate agent and in a very friendly and polite way, say "hey, I'm not sure if I'm eligible for the upgrade list on this flight, and not sure if there's even any space available but would you mind checking because we'd be extremely grateful to experience the BusinessElite cabin while my wife and I are on vacation...?" The gate agent is almost always very friendly and responsive in return, again, because of the initial tone that I take. Typically I get something like, "hey, I see that you're a Gold Medallion, thank you for your business and loyalty to Delta, but unfortunately your ticket class doesn't permit you to be added to the upgrade list for this flight, so sorry." Me, "ok, thanks for checking, maybe better luck next time!"

This seems quite reasonable and appropriate to me  twocents 

[Edited 2014-10-24 12:03:20]
"When the tide goes out, you can tell who was skinnydipping."

TurkishWings

Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:37 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 7):
If you work in the service industry and particularly a hotel and feel so upset that a customer, who pays your salary, I may add, merely asks for an upgrade, you are in the wrong field.

The below story doesn't suggest that he "merely" asked for an upgrade... Or am I missing something here?

You go to an agent and ask, in this case repeatedly, for an upgrade which is totally fine with you... What you don't know is that, the agent deals with such situations many many times a day, everyday... Now don't tell me this is my job because it isn't... And no, the guy staying in a budget room on an award night who is demanding for an upgrade is not paying for my salary...

We made it on over to our gate, E12, with plenty of time of spare before the 9:56pm scheduled boarding time–but also not quite enough time to go to the Delta SkyClub (free with the American Express Platinum card and free for SkyTeam Elite Plus, via Delta Gold Medallion status). We instead waited around to see if we could try our luck with another sympathetic gate agent for an upgrade to BusinessElite. This proved to be a waste of time. I approached the gate when a younger looking, hopefully reasonable Delta agent was there and free and, right as I got to the stand, her older and much crabbier colleague walked up to relieve her. She was extremely unimpressed that I was bothering her with an upgrade, especially after she discovered that we were traveling on an award ticket. Oh well, good thing I have no shame.
Coffee - Tea or Me?

AR385

Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:30 pm

Quoting TurkishWings (Reply 10):
Now don't tell me this is my job because it isn't... And no, the guy staying in a budget room on an award night who is demanding for an upgrade is not paying for my salary...

I will only say that I don´t want to derail the trip report futher and risk it to the locked. So, I will gladly respond to you if you wish to continue exchanging ideas through PM. I don´t want to ruin JMGRIFFIN´S efforts by the mods deleting the report.

lpdal

Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:29 am

Quoting JMGRIFFIN (Reply 8):

We booked an economy ticket and are happy to fly economy. Period. I, however, do not have a problem approaching the gate agent and in a very friendly and polite way, say "hey, I'm not sure if I'm eligible for the upgrade list on this flight, and not sure if there's even any space available but would you mind checking because we'd be extremely grateful to experience the BusinessElite cabin while my wife and I are on vacation...?" The gate agent is almost always very friendly and responsive in return, again, because of the initial tone that I take. Typically I get something like, "hey, I see that you're a Gold Medallion, thank you for your business and loyalty to Delta, but unfortunately your ticket class doesn't permit you to be added to the upgrade list for this flight, so sorry." Me, "ok, thanks for checking, maybe better luck next time!" This particular time, the gate agent seemed a bit frazzled, English did not appear to be her first language and she was likely having an all around bad day. That's fine, happens to everyone. Her response was more like, you're on an award ticket, why would you be on the upgrade list? Ok, that's fine, no sense in arguing, "ok, thanks for checking!". End of story.

I completely understand what you're saying JMGriffin, however, you fatally overlooked one crucial fact: there is no "upgrade list" or "Medallion Upgrades" for BusinessElite long-haul flights. The only way you can guarantee an upgrade is if the OCLI offers you a paid upgrade upon check-in on your computer or a kiosk, or if you get an extremely gracious agent who OP-UPS you. Longhaul international flights and Domestic First class legs are totally different on DL. And with a BusinessElite ticket likely costing several thousand more dollars than a Y ticket, I'm pretty sure a mere gate agent would need a supervisor's password to upgrade someone into J for free.

The "upgrade list" you were looking at was probably the standby passenger manifest who were waiting to be cleared, mostly NRSA (nonrev) pax who can often sit in BusinessElite for flights as long as: DL 777-200LR BusinessElite, Atlanta To Dubai (by Transpac787 Sep 9 2009 in Trip Reports) for less than $50 in taxes--that is their employment benefit and has nothing to do with revenue pax.

-LPDAL
TWU represented. All of my views and posted content are mine alone, and should not be viewed as official communication from my employer, its subsidiaries thereof, or any other entities or airlines.

JMGRIFFIN
Topic Author

Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:16 pm

Quoting jetsetter629 (Reply 2):
I didn't know that...great news indeed! I was in both Argentina and Chile last year and I avoided Chile's fee as I came in overland from Mendoza by bus (opposite of your trip). It has to be one of the most amazing border crossings in the world! No avoiding Argentina's fee by coming overland though  

I know! $160 isn't horrible for just 1 person but if you're a family of 4, for example, and faced with the option of paying $640 to spend a few nights in Santiago as a stopover, the reciprocity fee could easily sway your decision and encourage you to skip the country all together.

JMGRIFFIN, thanks. I enjoyed the report, especially your positive attitude about the food (no 'this filet mignon was frankly unimpressive') and the photos from Santiago. Any photos from the bus trip across the border?  

Thanks! The bus ride was fantastic, the views were breathtaking. Here are a few photos, I'll try to post a full report when I've had a chance to type it up:

– Bus Ride Through the Andes: Santiago to Mendoza

Andesmar: Our double-decker chariot that would (hopefully) carry us over the mountains safely

The views were breathtaking

Saying the roads were “windy” would be a bit of an understatement

Also, here's a map of the route:

The ride is pretty smooth, with the exception of a few switchbacks/hair pin turns like this one:

[Edited 2014-10-26 08:18:24]

[Edited 2014-10-26 08:18:54]

AR385

Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:58 pm

he ride is pretty smooth, with the exception of a few switchbacks/hair pin turns like this one:

People in Mendoza called that part "Los Caracoles." I´ve done it quite a few times and can get uncomfortable. It´s not uncommon to see people getting motion sickness.

emek96

Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:32 pm

Hi jmgriffin!

Nice report about DL! I have never flown on them, but they seem to be good!

I hope whoever sits here has a horrible flight

You are a bad person  

Also the food on DL looks ok, I like it that US carriers always serve a big salad!

thanks for the report

greetings
Elias
Lufthansa is the best airline in the world!

Av8rDAL

Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:08 pm

Good report. I took ATL-SCL in Business a couple years ago. Overall a good value for miles since there seems to be lots of availability most of the year for Skymiles award tickets. It was my first “paid” Business class experience due to the availability of Saver awards.

How about that bus journey to Mendoza?! I did the same, spent 2 hours at the border freezing on June 1st in the snow. Incredible ride. We also did an overnight bus journey in “Business Class” from Mendoza to Cordoba – it’s just like Delta’s Business Elite with lie-flat seats, all you can drink wine (brought a bottle of good, nicely-oaked stuff with me too), movies, etc.

Santiago is a great city and I found Argentina to be a great place to visit as well. Very good value for your US Dollar and the people I met in both countries were pleasant. Would like to return soon.
Maintain thine airspeed, lest the Earth rise up and smite thee.

777Jet

Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:44 pm

Nice trip report & great pics!

I love the 767 and have fond memories of my last DL 767 flight...
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

gabrielchew

Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:28 pm

Interesting report, thanks for posting. Just last week I flew JFK-LAX in Y+ on DL 763...very comfy flight with the good IFE, tasty snack, and all you can drink G&Ts!

Interesting that little Albania is one of the 4 reciprocity countries. How come the USA no longer pay, but Canada/Australia do?
http://my.flightmemory.com/shefgab Upcoming flights: AMS-RIX-BUD-VDA,ETH-TLV-FCO-LHR,STN-TXL-LCY,LTN-CPH-LTN,LGW-SZG,MUC-LHR

JMGRIFFIN
Topic Author

Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:07 am

Quoting gabrielchew (Reply 18):
Interesting that little Albania is one of the 4 reciprocity countries. How come the USA no longer pay, but Canada/Australia do?

I think it's solely based upon the fact that the USA and Chile reached a deal to both end the visa fee thereby ending the "reciprocity". Canada/Australia are probably both still too content collecting visa fees from all Chilean citizens and don't want to see the revenue stream disappear.

Quoting 777Jet (Reply 17):
Nice trip report & great pics!

I love the 767 and have fond memories of my last DL 767 flight...

Thanks! Glad you liked it!