Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

The777Man
Topic Author

China Eastern Airlines (MU) Boeing 777W SHA-PEK

Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:38 am

B A C K G R O U N D

China Eastern Airlines (MU) has ordered 20 777-300/ER to become their new flagship aircraft. They fly it within China for the first six weeks for crew familiarization before starting flights to New York (JFK) on 15 November and Los Angeles 1 February 2015.

I was in Asia on a weeklong trip so figured I try out China Eastern’s new 77W at the same time. This was the day after my flight on China Airlines (CI) 77W.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j214/The777Man/MU%2077W/IMG_1471.jpg

T H E F L I G H T

Date : 24 October 2014
Route : Shanghai SHA – Beijing PEK
Distance : 668mi
Flight : MU 5101
Flight Time : 1:40h
Dep. Time : 9:02
Aircraft : Boeing 777-39P/ER
Dep. Gate : 50
Seat : 67A
Inflight Entertainment : PTV, Map, Videogames, WiFi,

249th flight on a Boeing 777; 32nd on a 777-300/ER
Flown on 147 different Boeing 777 aircraft (frames)
52nd 777 carrier flown with direct delivery from Boeing.

It was easy to book the ticket on China Eastern’s website but it would not allow me to assign seats. I called them and they said they could not assign seats either at that time but to check back a day before the flight.

When I arrived at Hongqaio Airport the night before the flight, I tried to check in thru the machine but it ddn’t work. I then asked someone at their customer service counter but they couldn’t help either. This was a very frustrating but not much I could to about it. They did confirm that the flight tomorrow would be flown by the 777.

My hotel was right next to the terminal so I showed up early for my flight to check in at two hours before my flight. I waited in line for about 15 minutes and when it was my turn, I was told I was in the wrong line since there was a special check in line for Beijing. I said I have been waiting for 15 minutes and I didn’t see the sign. The girl then checked me in and I got a window seat in the back as I prefer.

I went thru security right away which was quick and went straight to the gate to look at the aircraft.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j214/The777Man/MU%2077W/IMG_1475.jpg

I settled at the gate and waited until boarding started. I was one of the first thru the non-priority lane to board and it was a nice first impression.

Large TV screen with power outlet and USB port. The remote control was large and different than I’ve tried before. Pillow and blanket at every seat and the colors were a bit similar but a bit lighter to what I saw on China Airlines the day before.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j214/The777Man/MU%2077W/IMG_1476.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j214/The777Man/MU%2077W/IMG_1478.jpg

No individual air vents but that’s standard for most 777s these days. Legroom was okay and great with an extra seat pocket to put stuff you can get to easily.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j214/The777Man/MU%2077W/IMG_1481.jpg

Boarding was quick and mostly business people on this flight, very different crowd than on the flight from Taipei to Hong Kong on China Airlines the day before. This was 95% business people and all very used to air travel. The seats next to me ended up with two young business guys. The guy next to me kept moving around a lot and later ended up throwing up quite a bit but was very good at getting it into the bag.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j214/The777Man/MU%2077W/IMG_1485.jpg

We pushed back a two minutes late and after a short taxi, a very powerful take off that is always so great on a short flight on a Boeing 777.

I started to explore the entertainment system. There were no control in the armrest but only the large remote control. There was a good selection of movies but music selection was lacking a bit. The flight was scheduled for 1h 30 mins so no time to watch a full movie.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j214/The777Man/MU%2077W/IMG_1480.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j214/The777Man/MU%2077W/IMG_1484.jpg

I watched the Airshow map and it was very interesting. WiFi was advertised but I couldn’t get it to work. Probably not activated on my flight. We kept changing altitude a lot and for the first 30 minutes we were not at a very high altitude. It kept changing a lot and eventually we ended up at 34 000 feet.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j214/The777Man/MU%2077W/IMG_1494.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j214/The777Man/MU%2077W/IMG_1504.jpg

Breakfast was served but the rice pudding (?) didn’t look so appetizing to me so I tried the bun instead and it was really good with a piece of salami inside. Nice also to get a toothpick which is nice and something I always look for. I had some Coca-Cola to go with it. Mood lightning was switched on to make it easier to relax.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j214/The777Man/MU%2077W/IMG_1489.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j214/The777Man/MU%2077W/IMG_1483.jpg

C O N C L U S I O N

The flight attendants were okay but not as friendly as on China Airlines. The cabin was nicer. Food wasn’t so great but that’s probably different on a flight later in the day. Entertainment is good and will be even better with WiFi working.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j214/The777Man/MU%2077W/IMG_1514.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j214/The777Man/MU%2077W/IMG_1506.jpg

Comments and questions welcome !

The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

sultanils

RE: China Eastern Airlines (MU) Boeing 777W SHA-PEK

Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:52 am

Hey Lars!

Very nice to read about another newish 777 addition! After the hassle with the seat reservation not possible, I’m happy to see you were able to procure one anyhow   

Quote:
They did confirm that the flight tomorrow would be flown by the 777.

An eqpt change would’ve caused you another headache, wouldn’t it?

Quote:
to look at the aircraft.

The planes colours - or lack there of - are little inspiring 

Quote:
the colors were a bit similar but a bit lighter to what I saw on China Airlines

I do like the motif on the headrest covers but the seats themselves, nah... Perhaps it does look more attractive in real?

Quote:
a very powerful take off that is always so great on a short flight on a Boeing 777

That’s at least half part of the fun in flying this type!

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

alex0easy

Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:04 pm

Hello! It's exciting to see a trip report on the exact B77W I've flown on!

Quoting The777Man (Thread starter):
I was told I was in the wrong line since there was a special check in line for Beijing.

There is a special area for the Beijing-Shanghai express flights. The PEK-SHA special service was introduced by CAAC a couple years ago. I think the biggest advantage so far is that th flights between PEK-SHA tends to be released earlier in traffic congestions.

Legroom was okay and great with an extra seat pocket to put stuff you can get to easily.

Legroom seems good. Was the width of the 3-4-3 seating cramped? I've flown on 3-3-3 B787s and it felt uncomfortable for me (probably because I'm above average at 185cm tall).

The guy next to me kept moving around a lot and later ended up throwing up quite a bit but was very good at getting it into the bag.

Yikes!   

WiFi was advertised but I couldn’t get it to work.

It's not working yet. MU does. however, have wifi working on a few selected A330s.

We kept changing altitude a lot and for the first 30 minutes we were not at a very high altitude. It kept changing a lot and eventually we ended up at 34 000 feet.

Well flights out of SHA usually (according to my observations) stay at 27,500 feet for quite a long time. On two flights from PVG to PEK my plane actually ended up with 27,500 feet as the cruising altitude.
BTW I think you probably meant 34,100 feet. The ATC in China uses a special altitude system different from other places. Flights tracking 180-359 degrees get altitudes like 30,100 32,100 34,100 .... FT while flights tracking 0-179 degrees get 29,100 31,100 33,100 ...... FT.

the rice pudding

I think that's probably porridge, which is quite typical for Chinese breakfasts.
You see that's the reason why I don't like airplane breakfasts. Anything that is soaked in liquid, such as the porridge and the noodles by CZ, ends up in a pretty bad state after cooking--cooling--reheating. I usually eat at the airport before boarding a morning flight.

Thanks for the report!

lychemsa

Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:07 pm

I think I would prefer to take the new High Speed train between the 2 cities.
I wonder what the time difference is.

PlaneHunter

Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:33 pm

Hi Lars!

Great report once again! Another review I had been looking forward to! While the plane's exterior (livery) is horribly ugly, the interior looks much better than CI's.

This was the day after my flight on China Airlines (CI) 77W.

Two new 777 carriers on two consecutive days - excellent!

249th flight on a Boeing 777; 32nd on a 777-300/ER

Did you celebrate the 250th a bit?

When I arrived at Hongqaio Airport the night before the flight, I tried to check in thru the machine but it ddn’t work. I then asked someone at their customer service counter but they couldn’t help either. This was a very frustrating but not much I could to about it. They did confirm that the flight tomorrow would be flown by the 777.

At least something...

I went thru security right away which was quick and went straight to the gate to look at the aircraft.

Ah, how bland it looks. Quite bad to see how the latest 777 carrier scars this nice aircraft...

Pillow and blanket at every seat and the colors were a bit similar but a bit lighter to what I saw on China Airlines the day before.

Definitely better than CI's cabin.

Legroom was okay and great with an extra seat pocket to put stuff you can get to easily.

Has MU gone 3-4-3?

The guy next to me kept moving around a lot and later ended up throwing up quite a bit but was very good at getting it into the bag.

At least it didn't end up on the brand new floor...

We pushed back a two minutes late and after a short taxi, a very powerful take off that is always so great on a short flight on a Boeing 777.

Numerous 777 takeoffs on short flights weren't powerful at all. One SQ 77W takeoff at MUC (en route to MAN) even felt like on a A343...

Breakfast was served but the rice pudding (?) didn’t look so appetizing to me so I tried the bun instead and it was really good with a piece of salami inside.

That cannot really attract me. What's in the bowl next to the melons?

PH

[Edited 2014-11-08 10:34:58]
Nothing's worse than flying the same reg twice!

gabrielchew

Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:52 pm

Nice report Lars, and a good looking plane inside. Shame the livery is so bland.
http://my.flightmemory.com/shefgab Upcoming flights: AMS-RIX-BUD-VDA,ETH-TLV-FCO-LHR,STN-TXL-LCY,LTN-CPH-LTN,LGW-SZG,MUC-LHR

CdnCactus

Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:18 pm

Consider I've yet to fly ANY 777 (shocking)...your flight log is nothing short of incredible to me.

...and nothing much to look at, sad to say, with that plain livery...

Oh dear. At least he didn't vomit into your lap...that happened to a colleague of mine.

Breakfast was served but the rice pudding (?) didn’t look so appetizing to me

It's rice porridge, or known as "congee" in certain parts of the world. Intentionally bland so you can eat it with other dishes. In your case the dish of what looks to be marinated egg and bamboo shoots above the porridge. Doesn't look like much but can be a soothing meal when you're sick.

Thanks for the report.

777Jet

Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:40 am

Another great trip report from The777Man!

Whilst I do agree with those who say that the livery is bland... at least it is not a livery that just does not suite the plane at all... The livery is simple and might just do for MU...
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

roberts87

Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:36 am

Hello Lars,

Nice report as always! Good to read about another 777 flight of yours, and to read about MU's intra-China service. The product looks good for a Chinese carrier I guess, so good luck to them about those USA routes. Shame about that bland livery though!

eastafspot

Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:14 pm

Very nice triple 7 TR Lars,

But what else can we expect from you? Also was it your first time onboard China Eastern?
I like very much this white livery, it's perfect for MU and even more on their 77W.
Looks like the preflight was not smooth but MU staff seemed understanding.
Jeez, did the guy throw up before or after seeing the breakfast white thing ?      .

Anyways MU looks like a really good ST option to China, thank you very much for enlightining me about its product.

Looking forward to more  

[Edited 2014-11-09 08:16:06]
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !

dirktraveller

Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:39 am

Hello 777Man,

Great to see you flying the brand new B77W of MU. I have to agree with others that the livery are just plain and boring, but thankfully the interior did not tell you the same story. That being said, I noticed that the interior share lots of similarities with CI B77W, minus the wood paneling on the wall.

Pillow and blanket at every seat and the colors were a bit similar but a bit lighter to what I saw on China Airlines

Looks nice and comfortable.

guy next to me kept moving around a lot and later ended up throwing up quite a bit but was very good at getting it into the bag

Oh no! Poor guy and poor you! Fortunately he got it into the bag in time!

There was a good selection of movies but music selection was lacking a bit.

I was wondering if you were referring to the collection in general, or was this only the English ones? A pity though, considering it has a huge screen for an Economy seat!  .

Breakfast was served but the rice pudding (?) didn’t look so appetizing to me

Okay that was indeed unappetizing.

Thanks for sharing this report with us!

Best Regards,
Dirktraveller

The777Man
Topic Author

Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:40 pm

Thanks for the replies!

Quoting sultanils (Reply 1):
Very nice to read about another newish 777 addition! After the hassle with the seat reservation not possible, I’m happy to see you were able to procure one anyhow   

Thanks! I was very relieved to when I got a window in the back. I think a lot of the business people check in the same day and don't reserve seats beforehand.

An eqpt change would’ve caused you another headache, wouldn’t it?

Yes, a small one. Always a bit frustrating when you fly a long way and it doesn't work out. But my visa for China is valid for a year so no real problem.

I do like the motif on the headrest covers but the seats themselves, nah... Perhaps it does look more attractive in real?

I kinda like it. Seemed very Chinese style and color to me.

Quoting alex0easy (Reply 2):

Hello! It's exciting to see a trip report on the exact B77W I've flown on!

Yes, I did reply to your report.

There is a special area for the Beijing-Shanghai express flights. The PEK-SHA special service was introduced by CAAC a couple years ago. I think the biggest advantage so far is that th flights between PEK-SHA tends to be released earlier in traffic congestions.

Good to know that PEK-SHA flights have priority in ATC. I flew PEK-SHA two years ago on CA and not much delay if any then either.

Legroom seems good. Was the width of the 3-4-3 seating cramped? I've flown on 3-3-3 B787s and it felt uncomfortable for me (probably because I'm above average at 185cm tall).

Legroom was good. I'm 180cm so good for me. Other carriers have a lot more legroom like KE and EK but this was good. 3-4-3 was okay on a short flight like this. Not sure about a longer flight but 3-3-3 on the 787 is much more uncomfortable to me.

It's not working yet. MU does. however, have wifi working on a few selected A330s.

Thanks for the info.

Well flights out of SHA usually (according to my observations) stay at 27,500 feet for quite a long time. On two flights from PVG to PEK my plane actually ended up with 27,500 feet as the cruising altitude.
BTW I think you probably meant 34,100 feet. The ATC in China uses a special altitude system different from other places. Flights tracking 180-359 degrees get altitudes like 30,100 32,100 34,100 .... FT while flights tracking 0-179 degrees get 29,100 31,100 33,100 ...... FT.

Good to know.

I think that's probably porridge, which is quite typical for Chinese breakfasts.
You see that's the reason why I don't like airplane breakfasts. Anything that is soaked in liquid, such as the porridge and the noodles by CZ, ends up in a pretty bad state after cooking--cooling--reheating. I usually eat at the airport before boarding a morning flight.

Thanks for the explanation !

Quoting lychemsa (Reply 3):
I wonder what the time difference is.

No time difference…..

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 4):
Great report once again! Another review I had been looking forward to! While the plane's exterior (livery) is horribly ugly, the interior looks much better than CI's.

Thanks !

I agree; MU's interior is better than CI's!

Two new 777 carriers on two consecutive days - excellent!

That doesn't happen too often to me. Last time in 2007 I think when I had three consecutive flights on three new 777 carriers.

Did you celebrate the 250th a bit?

No, I was just happy to get on plus my handle for my roller board broke…..but it's fixed now.

Ah, how bland it looks. Quite bad to see how the latest 777 carrier scars this nice aircraft...

It's growing slightly on me. I do like the tail better than the old one.

Has MU gone 3-4-3?

Yes

At least it didn't end up on the brand new floor...

and not on me either….. 
Numerous 777 takeoffs on short flights weren't powerful at all. One SQ 77W takeoff at MUC (en route to MAN) even felt like on a A343...

I'm sure it takes a lot more fuel with higher power so a way of saving fuel I guess.

That cannot really attract me. What's in the bowl next to the melons?

Some vegetables. I didn't try that either.

Quoting gabrielchew (Reply 5):
Nice report Lars, and a good looking plane inside. Shame the livery is so bland.

Thanks ! I like the tail……but the livery IS disappointing.

Quoting CdnCactus (Reply 6):
Consider I've yet to fly ANY 777 (shocking)...your flight log is nothing short of incredible to me.

you probably have more 738s than me in your log ?

Oh dear. At least he didn't vomit into your lap...that happened to a colleague of mine.

That's bad! No, he was very good and his friend helped him to get rid of the bags as they filled up and to get new ones. I didn't even smell it much.

It's rice porridge, or known as "congee" in certain parts of the world. Intentionally bland so you can eat it with other dishes. In your case the dish of what looks to be marinated egg and bamboo shoots above the porridge. Doesn't look like much but can be a soothing meal when you're sick.

Thanks for info! I thought it might have been congee but I'm not so good with Chinese food like that.

Quoting 777Jet (Reply 7):
Another great trip report from The777Man!

Whilst I do agree with those who say that the livery is bland... at least it is not a livery that just does not suite the plane at all... The livery is simple and might just do for MU...

It's growing on me.

Quoting roberts87 (Reply 8):
Nice report as always! Good to read about another 777 flight of yours, and to read about MU's intra-China service. The product looks good for a Chinese carrier I guess, so good luck to them about those USA routes. Shame about that bland livery though!

Thanks ! Service is very good for such a short flight. There should be a better meal on a flight later in the day. I'm sure they will do well with this new enchanted product.

Thanks again for the replies!

The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

The777Man
Topic Author

Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:45 pm

Thanks for more comments !

I was away on a trip and couldn't comment then.

Quoting eastafspot (Reply 9):
But what else can we expect from you? Also was it your first time onboard China Eastern?

Thanks! No, I flew MU on 12Jun01 also on the same route but on a 737-300. It was a part of another 777 trip when I flew OZ, CA and MS 777s for the first time.

Looks like the preflight was not smooth but MU staff seemed understanding.

Yes, they could improve on that.

Jeez, did the guy throw up before or after seeing the breakfast white thing ?

Hehehe, it was before…..

Anyways MU looks like a really good ST option to China, thank you very much for enlightining me about its product.

I think they are much better now with the 77W than they were before. I think they will improve features on the 330s as well.

Quoting dirktraveller (Reply 10):
Great to see you flying the brand new B77W of MU. I have to agree with others that the livery are just plain and boring, but thankfully the interior did not tell you the same story. That being said, I noticed that the interior share lots of similarities with CI B77W, minus the wood paneling on the wall.

The tail is not so bad; it's the rest of the livery or lack thereof that's the problem. It is similar to CI but I think I like the MU cabin slightly more.

Looks nice and comfortable.

Yes, it was !

Oh no! Poor guy and poor you! Fortunately he got it into the bag in time!

He got some help from his friend so no problem for me as long as he got it all in the bag.

I was wondering if you were referring to the collection in general, or was this only the English ones? A pity though, considering it has a huge screen for an Economy seat!  .

I can't say anything about the Chinese collection, just English language ones. A lot of people bring their own music nowadays to not a big deal.

Okay that was indeed unappetizing.

I thought it was just bad with Western eyes……

Not my kind of food.

Thanks again for the comments!

The777Man

PlaneHunter

Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:52 pm

Quoting The777Man (Reply 11):
I agree; MU's interior is better than CI's!

That doesn't happen too often to me. Last time in 2007 I think when I had three consecutive flights on three new 777 carriers.

That was quite an achievement!

It's growing slightly on me. I do like the tail better than the old one.

Growing? Really? It's just horrible.

Quoting The777Man (Reply 12):
It was a part of another 777 trip when I flew OZ, CA and MS 777s for the first time.

Wow, already 13 years. Btw - have you tried MS' 77W, too?

PH

The777Man
Topic Author

Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:15 pm

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 13):
That was quite an achievement!

Thanks ! It was quite a trip and a bit tiring......

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 13):
Wow, already 13 years. Btw - have you tried MS' 77W, too?

Yes, about 18 months ago, BKK-KUL. Nice short flight.

The777Man

OA260

Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:07 pm

Hi Lars  

Nice report and glad you got to test it out. Not too much more to add to what others have commented on but the interior I can't make my mind up about. I do like the headrest covers though.

The meal was interesting I probably would have tried the rice pudding but agree it does not jump out as being tasty.

Regards

Philip  

The777Man
Topic Author

Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:41 pm

Hi Philip!

Quoting OA260 (Reply 15):
Nice report and glad you got to test it out. Not too much more to add to what others have commented on but the interior I can't make my mind up about. I do like the headrest covers though.

Thanks ! I think the cabin is nice and very classic Chinese style.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 15):
The meal was interesting I probably would have tried the rice pudding but agree it does not jump out as being tasty.

I'm not much for pudding so not too my liking but I'm a picky eater.

Thanks for replying!

The777Man

FLIEGER67

Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:12 pm

Hi, L.,
really good to follow one more T7 adventure, well done.
Pictures and story absolutely worth it to see what´s going on at China Easterns new flagship.
Greetings,
Markus (FLIEGER67)
Tripreporter.net

The777Man
Topic Author

Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:28 pm

Hi Markus !

Quoting FLIEGER67 (Reply 17):
really good to follow one more T7 adventure, well done.

Thanks ! Great to try two new 777 carriers in one trip!

Quoting FLIEGER67 (Reply 17):
Pictures and story absolutely worth it to see what´s going on at China Easterns new flagship.

Yes, I think it looks very nice!

Thanks again !

The777Man

Aviationman777

Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:57 pm

Nice Report
How did you find Chinese food?

The777Man
Topic Author

Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:19 pm

Quoting Aviationman777 (Reply 19):

Nice Report
How did you find Chinese food?

Hi !

Thanks ! I didn't try the congee but the bread bun was very good on this flight.

The777Man

newbief1yer

Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:36 pm

As always, a fantastic read..
The seating does look a bit cramped, although like the size of the IFE screen.
It would be interesting to see how this would fare on a 12+ hour sector, as i guess that is what is intended for these aircrafts.
Been a while since I've been on MU. Their service seemed a bit hot n cold, a bit of hit and miss.

The777Man
Topic Author

Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:02 am

Quoting newbief1yer (Reply 21):
As always, a fantastic read..
The seating does look a bit cramped, although like the size of the IFE screen.
It would be interesting to see how this would fare on a 12+ hour sector, as i guess that is what is intended for these aircrafts.
Been a while since I've been on MU. Their service seemed a bit hot n cold, a bit of hit and miss.

Hi newbiefl1er!

It may look cramped but it was actually nice, at least fot the length of that flight. What it feels like on a 12h + flight is a different story but probably still better than 3-3-3 on a 787.

My guess is that MU like the other big Chinese carriers are improving more and more.

Thanks again for your comments!

The777Man

OM617

Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:12 pm

Hi Lars,

Thanks for the links. Will read the CI report next.

Sorry you had to sit next to someone with a sensitive stomach. He may have been drunk or hung over, who knows? It must have been bad to fill several bags...   

Congee is supposed to be eaten with bits of meat, vegetables or whatever. Perhaps that was the purpose of the stuff in the smaller tray. By itself, congee is not very appetizing!

Taupe seat material not terribly exciting, but better than the ubiquitous dark blue found most US cabins. Asians seem to be really into those white headrest covers.

I still don't understand the paint job. All that white space will really look like crap in no time, considering the notorious air pollution in China. Seems like it is just begging for constant maintenance just to keep it looking halfway decent.

Is the wifi and entertainment content free or do you have to pay? (I was sent to another page to write this and can't check out the picture for credit card slot)

Thanks for the report!

OM617

The777Man
Topic Author

Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:11 am

Hi Dan!

Great to hear from you.

Quoting OM617 (Reply 23):
Congee is supposed to be eaten with bits of meat, vegetables or whatever. Perhaps that was the purpose of the stuff in the smaller tray. By itself, congee is not very appetizing!

Thanks for the info. That makes more sense with the stuff on the smaller tray then.

Taupe seat material not terribly exciting, but better than the ubiquitous dark blue found most US cabins. Asians seem to be really into those white headrest covers.

It's a bit different but I kinda like it. Something different.

I still don't understand the paint job. All that white space will really look like crap in no time, considering the notorious air pollution in China. Seems like it is just begging for constant maintenance just to keep it looking halfway decent.

Very good point! I do like the new logo but some red chatline(s) would have been nice.

Is the wifi and entertainment content free or do you have to pay? (I was sent to another page to write this and can't check out the picture for credit card slot)

WiFi didn't work but the other entertainment was free.

Thanks again for your comment!

The777Man

PlaneHunter

Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:54 pm

Quoting The777Man (Reply 14):
Yes, about 18 months ago, BKK-KUL. Nice short flight.

Alright, thanks for reminding me!

It's absolutely horrible - I guess that "livery" will never grow on me. I can only hope Air China and China Southern won't follow.

PH

[Edited 2015-01-20 08:54:31]

adamspotter

Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:58 pm

Hi Lars,

Another great 777 report you made here, well done! Very nice idea to try out China Easterns new toy. I have to say the interior does look a bit dull to my liking. Nice and big PTVs though.
That meal doesn't look very appetizing TBH!

Thanks for sharing

cheers,

Brendan

signol

Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:44 pm

Hi Lars,
Another interesting one from your Asian series. I guess you only report on the 777s?  
Interesting too to see the different peoples' reactions.
The interior seems, well, dated for a new plane. I guess they went for the cheap options in fitting out their aircraft.
Thanks again
signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

The777Man
Topic Author

Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:43 am

Thanks for more comments !

@Brendan

Quoting adamspotter (Reply 26):
Another great 777 report you made here, well done! Very nice idea to try out China Easterns new toy. I have to say the interior does look a bit dull to my liking.

Thanks ! Always great to try out a new 777 airline. The interior is okay to me but I guess I can see your point.

Thanks for sharing

I agree with you on the meal!

@Robin

Quoting signol (Reply 27):
Another interesting one from your Asian series. I guess you only report on the 777s?  
Interesting too to see the different peoples' reactions

Yes, I only do reports on 777s! I think the interior is okay but the new livery is very bland although I like the tail.

Thanks for your replies!

The777Man

777Jet

Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:00 pm

Quoting The777Man (Reply 28):

Thanks for sharing

I agree with you on the meal!

G'day Lars!

Regarding the meal: I agree with both of you about the meal - not too good looking  

I have a question for you: how do you compare the China Eastern meals with the Air China meals from you CA 777 experience?

The reason I ask...

Not long ago I flew SYD-PVG-PEK-LAX-PEK-SYD on CA - 5 sectors and the 2 PEK-LAX-PEK sectors on brand new 77Ws. There were about 9 meals in total on those 5 flights and during the entire trip I did not leave one item on the tray - I ate everything! The hot dishes were great! The salads were great! The deserts were great! Everything was great! Not one item did not go into my stomach out of 9 or so meals on 5 flights...

I had never had that kind of great food before and it was totally unexpected and I was kind of expecting food that I did not like, such as noodles, before I flew CA. Never before had I eaten everything off the tray in one meal service alone, let along for 9 consecutive meal services... When I flew CA again more recently it was a similar experience...

So, I am just wondering how you compare the Air China meals to the China Eastern meals as I have never flown China Eastern but was feeling over the moon after all of my CA meal experiences...???

All the best, again, mate!

Can't wait to read you next trip report...
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

The777Man
Topic Author

Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:26 pm

Quoting 777Jet (Reply 29):
G'day Lars!

Regarding the meal: I agree with both of you about the meal - not too good looking  

I have a question for you: how do you compare the China Eastern meals with the Air China meals from you CA 777 experience?

The reason I ask...

Not long ago I flew SYD-PVG-PEK-LAX-PEK-SYD on CA - 5 sectors and the 2 PEK-LAX-PEK sectors on brand new 77Ws. There were about 9 meals in total on those 5 flights and during the entire trip I did not leave one item on the tray - I ate everything! The hot dishes were great! The salads were great! The deserts were great! Everything was great! Not one item did not go into my stomach out of 9 or so meals on 5 flights...

I had never had that kind of great food before and it was totally unexpected and I was kind of expecting food that I did not like, such as noodles, before I flew CA. Never before had I eaten everything off the tray in one meal service alone, let along for 9 consecutive meal services... When I flew CA again more recently it was a similar experience...

So, I am just wondering how you compare the Air China meals to the China Eastern meals as I have never flown China Eastern but was feeling over the moon after all of my CA meal experiences...???

All the best, again, mate!

Hi !

Glad you hear you had such great experiences on Air China but it doesn't surprise me that much.

I did fly CA 77W on the same route but in the other direction and at a different time of day so a lunch service rather than a breakfast.

Here's a link to the report:

[url=https://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/trip_reports/read.main/228298//[/url]

I'm somewhat picky when it comes to food so there were some items there that I didn't like but main meal was good. I say that MU probably would have something similar on a flight at the same time on the same route. Still, my actual experience was that CA was better......

Next report should be up in a few weeks.......

Thanks again for your comments!

The777Man

Sorry, can't make the link work......try a site wide search for Air China 77W PEK-SHA and it should come up.

[Edited 2015-02-01 08:28:52]