SIN7
Topic Author

On 3 Middle Eastern Carriers (Economy)...

Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:08 am

Hi fellow A.netters,
Geee... I've not been contributing for quite some time.
Same ol’ excuses lazy and busy. Anyways, since it’s the holidays thought I’d do some festive sharing of TR pics.
By coincidence, 2014 was a year I traveled on Etihad, Emirates and Qatar.
oh… on MAS too. Gave them support.

Will start with Etihad.

I’ll be as brief and let the pic do most of the talking

SIN-BNE
EY 470
A330
March 2014

That’s the a/c that will fly me to BNE. Was actually looking at ANA’s 787

Score … No neighbour for this flight!

There was a screen for menu. But nothing was uploaded. Hard copy menu cards were distributed with amenity kit.

EY partner airlines

Awesome wide touch screen. IFE still can’t beat ICE. But it’s extensive and more than enough for even a 12 hour flight.

After take off… all’s quiet

Since it’s almost about 1am, a logical and decent light hot snack is more than sufficient.
Most pax were already sleeping.

Awesome sun rise. Thanks to fellow a.netters for the tip.

Cabin lights switched on and breakfast service to follow soon.

Breakfast choice (1) Omelette w sausages , (2) Scrambled eggs with turkey or (3) Banana pancake.
I took the Scrambled eggs with turkey. Turkey slices were thick! Great quantity and quality. Excellent breakfast meal.

Really enjoyed the 7 hours on this flight. Crew were friendly making it a very pleasant flight.
I guess having an empty seat helped making this a wonderful flight too.
Flight departed 2330 and landed 0900. Very good timing for departure and arrival.

The return: BNE-SIN
EY473
A330
March 2014

Heading back to SIN

Drink service after take off

Followed by lunch. Choice (1) Beef hot pot, (2) Chicken tagine (3) Veg Pasta.
I took the chicken. Quantity were very much smaller this time. Greedy me asked for a second serving and the crew willing gave another portion.

A walk around after lunch.

A muffin and hot chocolate. Decent light afternoon snack at about 4pm before landing about 5.30pm.

Great flight once again. About 70% full. Had an empty seat again. Hence it really made a difference for an enjoyable flight. Crew were very professional and friendly. Good departure time about noon and arrive at 5.30pm.

My first time with EY and I really like it. Would want to fly on it anytime again.

In November, I had another trip to BNE. This time is for work and due to office regulations I had to get the lowest cost (full service). Hence it was QF. But why would I fly QF when some flights to BNE are on EK a/c. So EK was it, but terrible departure and arrival times.

Next: SIN-BNE - EK

[Edited 2014-12-24 20:11:53]

SIN7
Topic Author

RE: On 3 Middle Eastern Carriers (Economy)...

Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:50 pm

SIN-BNE
STD 3.15pm
ATD 5.15pm
ATA 2.45am
B777 - EK 432
Nov 2014

Flight was supposed to depart at 3.15pm. STA in BNE would be at 1am. By the time I reach Gold Coast it’ll be at an ungodly 3am.
But due to late a/c arrival from DXB, new departure was at 4pm. Good grief, I’ll get to Gold Coast at 4am!
Boarding was called at 3.30pm. Everyone was at the gate and all were onboard before 4pm. A/c pushed backed few minutes later. Can’t wait for it to go. We’re already late! Funny, after the push back, a/c stalled for another 15min. Oh why? Technical problems? Then PA came on stating that due to sick pax and they will be leaving the a/c. So a/c pushed back to the gate. Saw the pax got off. Next ground staff had to search their luggage. As soon as it was done we’ll go. That brought it to almost 5pm. Due to heavy traffic landing and departing, plus threatening dark clouds with heavy rain, a/c had to line up it was 5.45pm. As I could see there were about 5 a/c ahead of us taking off. Finally, we took off at 6pm! I’ll prob arrive Gold Coast just in time for sunrise!

From the website I managed to get a window seat in the front smaller Y cabin just behind Business. After getting my boarding pass, I walked around, but something made me go back to the check-in agent to change my seat. I went back to the same check-in agent asked her if the flight was full. Nope, it was not. Then I asked if she could give a check if I would have an empty seat next me. She was very nice and did some pecking on the computer. She then inquired if I’m alright with bulkhead right behind Business? Oh, yes! Since flight already late, I can be the one of the first few economy pax to leave the a/c once at BNE. I took it. Bulkhead and no seat mates!

However after settling down to my window seat bulkhead with two empty seats, a boy (about 7 years originating flight from LHR), came and took the aisle seat. Damn it!
Then a crew came and told him he has to sit next to his mum and dad way behind unless permission was given. Off he went back. Then he reappeared with a crew to take the aisle seat again. Obviously with permission. Fine! At least there was still an empty seat between us. He was restless opening the curtain separating Business and Y till a crew had to warn him. After take off a crew gave him a bag of chips from BCL and made him promise not to peek through the curtain again. Of course he lied. He was climbing up and down taking his bag from the overhead bin one item each time. He was bored as he didn’t know how to fully use the IFE and walking up and down the aisle (for stealing my whole row I didn’t want to help him with the IFE). Prior to dinner when I returned from the lav, to my horror, he brought a friend to sit on the empty middle seat! I’m usually nice to kids but this time I was rather curt to them. To my relief, this horror episode didn’t last long. Just before dinner two of them got bored after 30min being together and left permanently behind for the rest of the flight. Their IFE screen was on audio and they were fiddling to get the TV screen. On other occasion, I would gladly help out, but not this time. After they left, I reclaimed my 3 seat bulkhead. It’s time to enjoy the flight.

Very dark clouds. Capt did say that we may have to wait for it to clear. Thank goodness we need not have to.

No carrier comes close to ICE.

Bulkhead.

The smaller Y cabin.

Menu card and ICE booklet. There’s tons and tons to watch, listen and play. Took me good 10min to see what’s available.

After take off, drink service.
The boy got a bag of chips and OJ in real glass from BCL (bribe not to open the BCL curtain).

Dinner: Choice (1) Chicken w potatoes or (2) Szechuan beef w rice. Came with smoked salmon, apricot cake, cheese crackers and chocolate. Also a package of crackers and dips.
As I skipped lunch as I rushed from work to airport by 2pm and the delay, I was so hungry by the time dinner was served at 7pm (supposed to be at 5pm). I asked for second serving, and was gladly given. Good quantity and quality.
Most pax from Europe were already sleeping.
(boy was gone by then)

After dinner snack from the package.
Sweet chili sauce and red pepper dips with bread and crackers.

Cold tandoori chicken sandwich and coconut cake before landing.
Very appropriate size snack served 2 hours prior to landing.

Plane finally landed slightly earlier at 2.45am instead of 3.15am. Tech crew did catch up with the favourable winds and flight path. Managed to get out of the airport by 3.30am. By the time I took the shuttle bus to Gold Coast it was 5am!

After the weekend in Gold Coast, I was off to Canberra for work. I’ll skip the flight from BNE-CBR-BNE. All were on QF Link.

The return
Unearthly hour 2.30am departure.
I was in airport at 10pm as it was the last public train service from downtown. Had to kill 3 hours!
There was an MAS flight BNE-KUL There were less than 50 pax on the flight. Odd too was there were more male cabin crew than female. Flight took off 20min earlier than STD. A rough year for MAS.

BNE-SIN
STD 0230
ATA 8am
EK 433 – B777
Nov 2014

No drama on this flight.
No bulkhead, but I had 3 rows all to myself. Not a very full flight.

This SV 747SP brought Saudi leader to APEC that was on in BNE.
Brisbane downtown was in a locked down. Very tight security.

Ordered AVML on the return flight.
Terrible Veg sandwich. Only lettuce and tomato.
Norma meal was chicken roll with cake.
Anyways, it was a decent light snack for this early morning flight. Almost all pax were asleep. I didn’t eat it. I settled to my suite.

I’m not that tall, so it was a good stretch with 3 seats. Not the best comfy lie flat in on the bus, but still had a good solid 3 hours sleep.

Was so hungry after a good 3 hr sleep. Asked for the chicken sandwich and cake.

Lights switched on 2 hours to arrival for breakfast.

AVML breakfast. Indian Veg semolina with tomato masala. Delicious.
I’m ok with eggs, but I try to avoid it if I can on flights. Just don’t like the aroma when reheated up in the air. On EK website I found the menu on this flight. Omelette or Frittata. I booked for the AVML.

Another good flight SIN-BNE-SIN.
EK inflight was good.
As a comparison. Both EY and EK are very very good.
EK edges EY with ICE.
EY has amenity kits for economy.
Other than that, both are superb.
Anyways, I’d prefer EY because of its better timing to BNE and return as compared to EK.

My both EK and EY flights I had empty seats. Thus I had an awesome time. This made a huge difference. I don’t think I would have the same experience if it was a very full flight.

Next on Qatar …

WROORD

Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:07 am

Nice trip reports. I think the plus on both carriers was that the flight were not full with enough room to stretch your legs.

SQ772

Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:26 pm

Hey SIN7,

Thanks for your report. I must say that I particularly like EY's cabin interior color scheme. The kuey-lapis seats gives it a more homey ambience. Are EY meals ex-SIN catered by SATS or DNATA? For some odd reason, EY is the only Middle East carrier (excluding Saudia) who's pax handling is by SATS.

When's the QR one coming?
There's always a better way to fly...

dirktraveller

Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:52 am

Hi SIN7,

Thanks for this nice report! I like the apple-to-apple comparison you are doing between EK and EY on this very same route that I've also flown a few times, SIN-BNE-SIN. Having tried EK on BNE-SIN sector I found them to be great, seems the load on your EK433 flight were fairly light, which was similar to my EK433 flight a few years ago. Anyways, from your pictures EY looks really good! I should try them someday  .

Regards,
Dirktraveller

PlaneHunter

Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:22 am

Nice comparison. EY's product looks fine, but I think EK's Y Class catering is still in a class of its own.

PH
Nothing's worse than flying the same reg twice!

bill142

Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:22 am

Ha! I was on EK433 too. Except a few rows further forward.