Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

eg777er
Topic Author

Air Berlin Business Class TXL-AUH A330

Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:47 pm

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7474/16022967037_e2f90967dd_c.jpg

I recently flew Air Berlin from Berlin Tegel to Abu Dhabi in Business Class.

I paid 25,000 Avios points + £37.60 for the one-way flight, booked through BA Executive Club. This is tremendous value in my view, and a strong option for getting from Europe to the Middle East if wanting to use as little points as possible.

I'd flown into Berlin the previous evening on a Faro-Dusseldorf-Berlin trip (9k Avios) as I'd been in Portugal for Christmas. This was again a good trip as I got exit rows for free as a BA Gold, the only down side was a 4h50m connection in DUS but enough time to go into town for a pork knuckle...

Some comments on Air Berlin J from TXL to AUH

- Free chauffeur drive is excellent. A brand new Mercedes S-Class picked me up from the IC in Berlin, a Audi A6 took me from AUH to the Abu Dhabi IC. All had to be arranged by phone with AB but after that everything ran smoothly
- Ground arrangements at TXL are a bit rubbish - lounge offerings limited (BA or AF), small gate areas, limited duty free, bus gates. But a dedicated J bus was very much appreciated
- The seat is narrow but comfortable. The IFE was excellent - it had the whole season 1 of Netflix's House of Cards on it, in high definition. Ditto Breaking Bad
- Crew were efficient but not exactly warm, but I am not a German speaker
- Food compared to BA Club World was good, I think the main course was better. Wines were nice but nothing special
- AUH was busy on arrival but formalities were efficient.
- Note there are two queues for Chauffeur Drive at AUH, one for Etihad at the main desk and then Air Berlin around the corner. No need to queue for ages with the EY passengers like I did!

Hope you enjoy the report at http://youtu.be/cq1bGaC9SHU

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7562/16182917086_49d85bf1da_c.jpg

OA260

RE: Air Berlin Business Class TXL-AUH A330

Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:37 pm

Thanks for the report. I was wondering what their product was like on this route. It seems quite a few who are clued up have been using some of their Avios for this route which is terrific value. There are a few nice OW routes which use very little Avios compared to what you get.