Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

sultanils
Topic Author

An ATR72 Armada (B)inter Canarias: ACE-LPA-SPC-LPA

Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:32 pm

This is the continuation of Finally Edelweiss! BRU-ZRH-ACE (by sultanils Feb 9 2015 in Trip Reports), for more background info on how this trip started: read it all there!

ACE

OA260 and I head into the domestic terminal and grab ourselves something to drink from the one and only landside café/eatery.

No need to check in anymore as this is done a few days ahead online - Binter Canarias have a free seating policy on board.

This afternoons planned departures of intra-Canaries flights.

After a good but too short chat, I bid adieu to OA260 and make my way airside. No bull with liquids or laptops here at security, I can leave it all in my bag   

As expected, the airside is small and gives a limited view on the larger international terminal.

There’s a total of 5 gates, boarding is done by walking to the plane.

Gate 3 is assigned for the my flight to Gran Canaria.

A look at the FID shows a 4h delay for this Canaryfly flight - delayed and cancelled Canaryflies will prove to be a constant thing here unfortunately. More on that later.

Seems to be an engine issue? With a 4h delay, a serious one methinks   

The inbound comes racing in - literally - accompanied by that lovely dual toned prop roar.

Fist up = you’re at the right spot for parking.

The wait for boarding is very short and soon enough we’re let loose on the apron.

ACE to LPA
NT511
ATR72-212 EC-IYC Los Gofiones
STD-STA 14h30-15h15
Y class
seat 6D

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © A. Zanetti

The route details, with the actual flown flight path.

Departure @ ACE.

Arrival @ LPA.

Uh oh, just wait a few more minutes. I’m out as the first one but am stopped by a ramp worker in front of a pedestrian crossing outside. Seemingly they’re not fully ready for us yet.

Here’s an Express delivery.

Ok, now we’re free to go! A few pics of Los Gofiones por favor.

Mind the dog next to the door!

Boarding through the rear door, ATR style!

ON BOARD FLIGHT NT511

Ouch, this looks tacky  Wow! Why no seat colours in line with the livery?

I settle down in 6D, next to the propellor. The window is heavily scratched - as are all windows - so phototaking is challenging.

2 female FA’s on this service, the cabin is clean and the load is 100% with nearly half of the plane consisting of deadheading crews of TUI, Thomas Cook,... flying to LPA to start their journey home from there.

Ads on the headrest covers.

Legroom is low unfortunately.

A party of 4 seats upfront, 2 people can experience what it is like to fly backwards  

Mind the dog again! A series of automated anncoucements is played whilst people settle in. This flight is anncounced as operated by Canair which quite frankly I find a stupid name   Flight time is 45 mins which is the same as the time originally displayed at the booking. Na padding of schedules here with Binter, what you see is what you get.

Here’s the magazine which is not too interesting...

... and the safety instructions card. Woof!

Then it’s pushback time, under our own power since the ATR has this cool feature to reverse taxi on it’s own   

Over to runway 03 now.

The engines spool up and off we go. I curse myself that I have forgotten to take my ear plugs out of my bag - which is in the overhead bin - because the noise level is nearly unbearable during takeoff   

We’re through the thin cloud layer very quick and luckily the noise level is now more acceptable with the engines in cruise mode   

Next up: service! A grand choice between still or sparkling water is offered together with a chocolate wafer.

After flying for 35 mins, the island of Gran Canaria comes in sight.

Due to our plane cruising at relatively low altitude, we are beneath the clouds quickly and prepare for a runway 03L approach.

Here we are! The eastern side of the airport houses an important Spanish military airbase.

The domestic terminal is located at the far north side of the airfield, that’s where we taxi to.

The engines are shut down and we may disembark a few minutes later. LPA is the busiest of the Canary Islands airports. And it’s not even summer!

LPA PART 1

Bye now to Los Gofiones, she’s heading back to ACE.

The walk to the terminal is merely 50m.

Connecting domestically at LPA is easy and fast, just follow the signs and a few doors and hallways later, you’re there!

Again, a delayed Canaryfly flight on the top row. However, this one is due to adverse weather at TFN and not a mechanical issue as will be shown soon.

Gate A11 is the one for my flight to SPC.

Boarding time comes and goes and seeing the gate agents happily gossip around it seems there is no intention to get us out on time. Besides, there’s not even a plane to do so! I stand guard by the window and watch the goings on instead - there’s a steady stream of charter and Binter birds coming in.

A long while later - the FID starts moving, now we’re officially delayed. Good that this is the last flight of today, so for me it doesn’t really matter much.

40 mins late, our plane is finally there.

The agents stop their chit chat and the gate flashes to boarding. Out we go   

LPA to SPC
NT311
ATR72-212 EC-KYI Guarapo
STD-STA 16h00-16h50
Y class
seat 9A

View Large View Medium

Photo © Erwin van Hassel

Departure @ LPA.

Arrival @ SPC. Seems like the gps was a tad confused here  

The sky is turning nasty...

So this is Guarapo, she will transport me to SPC this late afternoon. This one has a slightly different livery than the previous plane, can you spot the differences?

The prop is tied down to prevent it from turning by the harsh winds.

No dog next to the door. The operator is different, not Canair but NAYSA (Navegación y Servicios Aéreos Canarios).

Under the wing you know - a common catch phrase that is patented by fellow reporter FLIEGER67.

It’s definitely raining back there.

But right here it is nice and sunny.

ON BOARD FLIGHT NT311

From now on - and I apologise   - there are quite a bit of déja-vus, I hope you don’t mind.
The cabin.

Surprisingly, legroom is better here than it was on the previous flight. The fact that the seat next to me remains vacant adds to the comfort   

The safety instructions card, NAYSA style.

Pax queueing to board our plane.

All aboard!

En detail.

In the far distance I see this CRJ900 EC-JZV which is leased from Air Nostrum and operates the longer flights of Binter to RAI, LIS, RAK and DKR for ex.

The door is closed now. 2 female FA’s also on this service, the pilot in command with a nice welcome in Spanish only, explaining about the adverse weather at TFN and our delay as a consequence of that. Flight time will be 50 mins - again the same as scheduled.

We back up and head for the runway which is still 03L.

I like these retro-ish liveries.

The military part of the airport.

One Binter ahead of us. This time I’m prepared, my ear plugs are in place  

Goodbye to Las Palmas de Gran Canaria - see you tomorrow.

Cruise height is reached very quickly and when the seatbelt sign is off, the crew heads to the rear galley to prepare for the service round.

Seems like a fellow passenger has a similar taste in music?

The island of Tenerife with the El Teide volcano. The captain is on the horn again, telling us about the nice view on the volcano and the clouds below where TFN airport is covered in thick clouds.

Nice!

Service, Binter style. Nothing else expected  

A taste of Spanglish on board.

We then head into the clouds again for our approach into the airport of Santa Cruz de la Palma.

The approach is very nice as we fly parallel to the mountaineous island for a while at low altitude. Pity there are many clouds....

Landing is on runway 01, followed by a backtrack and left turn to the apron.

We are expected!

One comes in, one goes out.

The crew with a friendly gracias at the door and out on the apron it is.

We’re the sole plane on the airfield now. The views on the mountains are very nice - pity the weather is just so and so, only 14°C.

The guys unloading the luggage.

SPC PART 1

And me taking the last pics which is no issue here   

Really?

Then it’s again a few steps until the terminal building.

Through bagage reclaim...

... and out into the public. The public bus runs once an hour and of course I just miss it   So a taxi into town it is. I check myself in at the hotel, which is the El Galéon - a basic apartment style place - and then I head off for a walk and dinner.

SANTA CRUZ DE LA PALMA

So OA260, is this one for you?

Santa Cruz de la Palma isn’t particularly exciting nor nice imho.

After a simple but filling dinner at this café, I head back for the hotel and call it a night.

The ship is leaving port for its nightly voyage to somewhere else.

Nice mural but what does it stand for?

Nighty night!

Following a relaxing night, the prebooked taxi is there to pick me up at the requested time. A 15 mins drive to the airport it is, the place is nice and quiet on this early Sat morning.

A view to the sea, standing with my back to the terminal.

SPC PART 2

The check in area.

This mornings departures.

Remember my previous report and the cancelled Canaryfly booking? Well, originally I was booked on the 10h20 PM414 to TFN. Due to the cancellation by Canaryfly of the 2nd leg of that booking 2 days ago, the whole booking was cancelled and refunded and I rebooked myself on Binter Canarias on the same route SPC-TFN-LPA. Now with yesterdays weather issues at TFN in mind, I head up to the desk and enquire on the status of flights at TFN today. The agent informs me that the situation is still the same today probably but for now everything runs (flies) according to schedule. I don’t want to risk being heavily delayed or even cancelled at TFN because then I would miss my flight to LPA and consequently also the rest of the journey to FNC. Therefore I decide to rebook myself (for free) on the direct 8h40 flight to LPA and not to fly via TFN. Too bad I miss out on logging this airport but I really don’t want to jeopardize the rest of the day (and tomorrow).

With my new boarding pass in hand, I head up 1 floor to clear security.

Colourful seaters post security.

This is not exactly MAD T4 now is it   

To kill the remaining time, I walk to the very end of the concourse and see the 1st flight of the day coming in on time from TFN.

It’s EC-KRY.

The daylight gets brighter and reveals some more birds on the apron, like this overnighting Canaryfly.

And another overnighting Binter.

A few minutes later, the 2nd flight of the day taxies in, this will be my ride to LPA.

Parked at puerta quatro.

The earlier departures to TFN have not yet been called for boarding yet and I’m starting to realise I indeed took the right decision to change my flight to a direct one - I know it’s very a.netter unlike but in this case it was the best I could do  

The turnaround is quick and efficient and boarding starts for the flight to LPA.

SPC to LPA
NT304
ATR72-212 EC-LFA Rapadura
STD-STA 08h40-09h30
Y class
seat 9A

View Large View Medium

Photo © Carlos Enamorado

Departure @ SPC.

Arrival @ SPC.

My 3rd Binter flight and 3rd unique registration, so far so good. Nearly utwyk.

Definitely utwyk 

The Canary Islands airline.

ON BOARD FLIGHT NT304

Once more, red leather seaters here, a clean cabin and 2 female FA’s for our safety, comfort and service. Oh yes, and NAYSA is operating this one.

Tthere’s this magazine too. Or have you seen it already a few pics earlier? Can’t really remember  

A slightly different perspective as this is sort of a uteyk. But then from the inside...

This guy guides the reversing ATR next door. He gestures with rolling arms and puts his arm in the air when it’s time to turn, quite cool to see.

After reversing by ourselves, we head for departure which goes from runway 01 this morning. No info from the flightdeck but once again the flight time is to be 50 mins, as scheduled.

The props are fired up & my ear plugs are in place, let’s go!

The town of Santa Cruz de la Palma.

Leaving this mountaineous island behind us.

Service time! Not that I expected to receive anything else   

The remainder of the flight, I listen to some music and admire the clouds passing by underneath us.

Not before long, the captain mumbles a few words in Spanish and the nose is dipped down. We must be nearing Gran Canaria now.

Not much green to be seen.

But hey, the sky is blue and I have a few hours here so   

For the 2nd time in as many days, I’m back in LPA.

Taxiing to the domestic terminal - the apron is not too busy it seems.

A few charters and regulars at their respective gates.

This part of the terminal is only open from July 2014.

For the last time this weekend I step out of the cabin from a Binter Canarias ATR. I must say it were all enjoyable experiences.

LPA PART 2

Out on the apron again with a fierce wind and the smell of fresh jetfuel in the air, just lovely!

This mornings lineup.

This time around, I don’t follow the connections signage.

Domestic terminal, bagage reclaim.

The arrivals board shows another delayed TFN flight.

I’m glad I’m here now and have a few hours to spare before the next flight up north to Madeira island. I head outside and hop on the 1st bus into town.

LAS PALMAS DE GRAN CANARIA

I walkabout the city center a bit and have lunch. Pity the weather is rainy as opposed to the sunny landing an hour ago  

A shopping street.

A typical round shaped building, decorated with azulejos.

Another form of art, but not the finest one imho  

A good 2h later, I head back to the bus station to catch the airport bus back to the... well, airport.

This is the end of the 2nd part of my journey. I hope you enjoyed. In the 3rd and final part I will report on flights with SATAs Dash 8, TAPs A332 and Brussels Airlines’ A320. Hope to see you then as well  

TO CONCLUDE

I had a few good flights on the main intra-Canaries airline, Binter Canarias. I’m glad they were still offering low full flexible fares 2 days ahead of my travels or otherwise I might have had quite an issue with that cancelled Canaryfly booking. Binter runs a smooth operation with their armada of ATR props and all staff I encountered were friendly enough. The onboard catering is not their strong point but I was still very glad to receive something substantial on these short flights. And the ATR - not my favorite prop mainly due to the noise level which I found to be too loud    I bet in summer these flights are packed to the brim as they give islanders and tourists alike a fast and affordable way to fly (B)inter Canarias!

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

gabrielchew

RE: An ATR72 Armada (B)inter Canarias: ACE-LPA-SPC-LPA

Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:59 pm

Nice report Nils! Sham your Canary weather wasn't so good   SPC seems like a realy big airport for so few flight - the FIDS just has inter-island ATRS?!

Quoting sultanils (Thread starter):
Ouch, this looks tacky Wow! Why no seat colours in line with the livery?

It's the big in-your-face adverts thart are tacky!

Next up: service! A grand choice between still or sparkling water is offered together with a chocolate wafer.

So they've not enchanced their service for many years!
http://my.flightmemory.com/shefgab Upcoming flights: AMS-RIX-BUD-VDA,ETH-TLV-FCO-LHR,STN-TXL-LCY,LTN-CPH-LTN,LGW-SZG,MUC-LHR

mighluss

Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:19 pm

Nice mural but what does it stand for?

You can find it all over Spain! The seagull sheet over the Chilean coastal rocks was collected and taken here. Was a good fertilizer for agriculture... and also to make explosives!

Great photos! that remembers me that I have to go one day there, they are beautiful islands with very warm people living there.
Miquel.

CdnCactus

Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:45 pm

Nice, colourful report. Speaking of colour though, it is interesting that the inside of the cabin doesn't match the outside.

Definitely utwyk 

I'm waiting for FLIEGER67 to bring back the "uttyk" pictures. 

Well...at least it's consistent?

The Canary Islands - another place I'd love to visit but such a big undertaking from west coast Canada...

signol

Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:43 pm

Nicely done Nils! Some sense of deja-vu midway through, and again at the end   Still a nice part of the world to visit, especially in good weather! A shame about the weather, did you notice if your originally scheduled services would have arrived on time?

Looking forward to the next.

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

The777Man

Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:49 am

Hi Nils !

Nice report with nice pictures !

Good to see you your schedule worked out in the end. Great that you got to try different carriers although service seemed very similar.

It's been a long time since I've been on an ATR but I don't ever recall the noise being so loud that I had a desire to have ear plugs.

Very much looking forward to your next report !

The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

SCQ83

Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:31 am

"Can" is an oldish way to say "dog" (perro) in Spanish (in fact is the current word for "dog" in Galician; and in Portuguese is Cão). Nothing to do with the Canarias word though.

So Canair... Dogair... hence the dog. No matter what  Smile
Quoting gabrielchew (Reply 1):
Nice report Nils! Sham your Canary weather wasn't so good SPC seems like a realy big airport for so few flight - the FIDS just has inter-island ATRS?!

It is seems Saturday is a quiet day for the airport. You can see the IB for MAD in the afternoon in the FIDS.

But for today there are scheduled flights to AMS (x2), DUS, TXL, MAN and LGW.

La Palma is not a massive destination (there are no beaches/resorts like in ACE or FUE; it is more of nature) but there is international scheduled traffic. The small airports in the Canary Islands with intra-island traffic only are GMZ (La Gomera) and VDE (El Hierro). It would be great to see some here, particularly of El Hierro which is a very particular and remote island.

[Edited 2015-03-06 03:34:05]

sultanils
Topic Author

Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:41 pm

Nice report Nils!

Thanks Gabe!

Sham your Canary weather wasn't so good

It wasn’t really, no. But I expected that, it is (was) still Jan after all and even in the Canaries that doesn’t mean temps in the high 20’s and plenty of sun.

SPC seems like a realy big airport for so few flight - the FIDS just has inter-island ATRS?!

There was a flight due by Air Europa I believe. And the afternoon saw an odd number of charters but not too many. I bet summer is more busy.

It's the big in-your-face adverts thart are tacky!

Also  

So they've not enchanced their service for many years!

I can’t tell, have you been on Binter some/many moons ago?

Quoting mighluss (Reply 2):
You can find it all over Spain! The seagull sheet over the Chilean coastal rocks was collected and taken here. Was a good fertilizer for agriculture... and also to make explosives!

I Googled it but I couldn’t het any wiser out of it, thanks for explaining!

Quoting mighluss (Reply 2):
Great photos! that remembers me that I have to go one day there, they are beautiful islands with very warm people living there.

Thank you and indeed, the islands are nice places. I bet even more in off season, when there’s more green and less sunbathers.

Quoting CdnCactus (Reply 3):
Nice, colourful report.

Thanks Cactus   Glad you enjoyed!

Speaking of colour though, it is interesting that the inside of the cabin doesn't match the outside.

Odd, isn’t it? One would at least expect something greenish?

I'm waiting for FLIEGER67 to bring back the "uttyk" pictures.

I’m sure he will do that anytime soon 

Well...at least it's consistent?

True, but just a tiny bit of variation like something more croissant like in the morning?

but such a big undertaking from west coast Canada...

Planning it is half the fun!

Quoting signol (Reply 4):
Nicely done Nils!

Thanks signol, I’m glad you liked it.

Some sense of deja-vu midway through

Don’t say I didn’t warn you   

A shame about the weather, did you notice if your originally scheduled services would have arrived on time?

Yeah the weather was so and so but expected to be like this. yes I checked and my orginal service came through with 1h delay which would’ve made a tight connection. And boy, do I hate tight connections 

Quoting The777Man (Reply 5):
Hi Nils

Hello Lars, good to hear from you!

Nice report with nice pictures !

Thanks a lot!

Great that you got to try different carriers although service seemed very similar.

Yes, one airline and 2 different operators, nice! And service was indeed - let’s say - predictable?

It's been a long time since I've been on an ATR but I don't ever recall the noise being so loud that I had a desire to have ear plugs.

All the ATR’s I’ve been on had that problem, no matter where I’m seated. Just today I was on a F50, which was noticeable quieter.

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 6):
"Can" is an oldish way to say "dog" (perro) in Spanish (in fact is the current word for "dog" in Galician; and in Portuguese is Cão). Nothing to do with the Canarias word though.

So Canair... Dogair... hence the dog. No matter what

I figured something like that. The word Canair reminded me at first of the English word canine which if I’m correct also is something with dogs?

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 6):
But for today there are scheduled flights to AMS (x2), DUS, TXL, MAN and LGW.

Indeed, that day was pretty quiet but in general the amount of traffic at SPC seems not overwhelming.

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 6):
The small airports in the Canary Islands with intra-island traffic only are GMZ (La Gomera) and VDE (El Hierro).

Interesting, I didn’t know that!

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

ElanusNotatus

Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:01 am

Hi Nils,
Another interesting report of a multi-sector journey. Shame that you had to rebook and missed Tenerife but good to see that rebooking didn't turn into a drama. Great photos taken on location.

Uh oh, just wait a few more minutes. I’m out as the first one but am stopped by a ramp worker in front of a pedestrian crossing outside. Seemingly they’re not fully ready for us yet.

Just what every aviation photographer welcomes - extra time for more shots  
Ouch, this looks tacky   Why no seat colours in line with the livery?

But at least the serviette and snack wrapper match.

just follow the signs

German first. Are Germans still the majority of visitors?

This one has a slightly different livery than the previous plane, can you spot the differences?

The position of the two greens is different with the lighter green covering the area in front of the windscreen. Also the introduction of a pale blue that appears to match the coach in your final picture.

This is not exactly MAD T4 now is it

I have seen better aesthetics in multi storey car parks.  

Thanks for sharing.
Crawl, walk, fly into the future

roberts87

Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:19 am

Hello Nils,

A great report als always! I enjoyed reading about intra-Canary adventure. Looks like great fun. Shame you had to miss out on one flight and airport but if seemed like the right decision indeed.

Look forward to reading more about Madeira, a great island and a great airport for us Anutters  

CaptainRed

Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:47 pm

Hi Nils,

very interesting report about your Bintering around the islands. Binter seems a nice little airline for these island hops, I also like their livery. And yes, the ATR is pretty loud during take-off, especially when sitting close to the engines, but after that I found the noise level to be acceptable.

The captain is on the horn again, telling us about the nice view on the volcano and the clouds below where TFN airport is covered in thick clouds.

Wow, great views on Mount Teide here.

Therefore I decide to rebook myself (for free) on the direct 8h40 flight to LPA and not to fly via TFN.

I think that was a very smart move, especially since you could do it for free. Of course bad to miss on another airport, but better play it safe in such a situation.

Hey, you should put a little more variety in your pictures here   And well done, your phone cover matches the Binter livery, was that on purpose?

CaptainRed

SCQ83

Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:18 pm

Quoting sultanils (Reply 7):
I figured something like that. The word Canair reminded me at first of the English word canine which if I’m correct also is something with dogs?

True, it is the latin "Canis" (Chien in French too).

Quoting ElanusNotatus (Reply 8):

I guess it comes down to taste. I like SPC terminal; the rough concrete, tempered glass, exposed mechanical and colored furniture. Very edgy IMO. It fits well in a semi-tropical weather where you don't need warmer materials (timber, carpet, etc.) to feel cozy, like it was Norway or Germany.

OA260

Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:15 pm

Hola Nils  

Another great part in your Canarias series !

OA260 and I head into the domestic terminal and grab ourselves something to drink from the one and only landside café/eatery.

Yes its not the most appealing but then most people don't turn up until T60 minutes. The Ritazza in the land side International Terminal check in area is much nicer IMHO.

I bid adieu to OA260 and make my way airside. No bull with liquids or laptops here at security, I can leave it all in my bag   

And don't forget the jacket  
Ouch, this looks tacky   Why no seat colours in line with the livery?

Yes its still 50/50 in my mind whether I like it or not. Its certainly a huge contrast from outside. I feel a dark navy blue with green piping would be more in keeping with the Binter brand.

I actually didn't expect to get anything when I first flew them. Considering its a flying bus service to link the Islands its not bad at all. I do quite like the Binter product. It is normally reliable and friendly. Last time I asked for another wafer chocolate and two were brought with a smile and without issue.  
So OA260, is this one for you?

AIDA German Butlins at sea   Or so I am told ! Did you not go into the old town square ? Its quite pleasant there. The port area is your typical industrial non attractive zone.

Thanks for a great report and looking forward to the next part  

Regards

Philip  

sultanils
Topic Author

Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:20 pm

Hi Nils

Hello EN, thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Another interesting report of a multi-sector journey.

Thanks, good to hear you enjoyed it.

Shame that you had to rebook and missed Tenerife but good to see that rebooking didn't turn into a drama.

Upon booking I didn’t realise my fare allowed free rebooking but I’m most glad it did, else I would’ve had a bigger problem. I checked afterwards at LPA and my original flight from TFN came in an hour later than scheduled. I guess I was still able to make it, but my heart would suffer big time  

Just what every aviation photographer welcomes - extra time for more shots

Just how we like it, yes. And no issues with photographing too!

But at least the serviette and snack wrapper match.

Credit for that lol!

Are Germans still the majority of visitors?

I guess they are a vast part but the people from the Nordics are very well represented too I noticed.

The position of the two greens is different with the lighter green covering the area in front of the windscreen. Also the introduction of a pale blue that appears to match the coach in your final picture.

Wow, you actually checked    Indeed, and the differences are not really subtle iyam.

Ha ha, that’s a harsh comparison but there’s some truth in it. You know, I don’t mind concrete structures but they often lack warmth and atmosphere...

Quoting roberts87 (Reply 9):
Hello Nils

Hello Robert, how are you?

A great report als always! I enjoyed reading about intra-Canary adventure

Thanks a lot, nice that you enjoyed it.

Shame you had to miss out on one flight

It is in the nature of what we do I guess 

Quoting CaptainRed (Reply 10):
Hi Nils

Hello CR!

very interesting report about your Bintering around the islands.

Thank you my friend!

And yes, the ATR is pretty loud during take-off, especially when sitting close to the engines, but after that I found the noise level to be acceptable.

Good to see I’m not alone. Indeed, after takeoff is it much more acceptable but still the difference with for ex the Dash or F50 is there methinks.

Wow, great views on Mount Teide here.

Great isn’t it? I was on the right side - I mean left side  

I think that was a very smart move, especially since you could do it for free.

I thought that it was better to do it this way and afterwards I’m glad I did. Good thing the rebooking was for free!

And well done, your phone cover matches the Binter livery, was that on purpose?

Lol, no that was not on purpose   

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 11):
True, it is the latin "Canis" (Chien in French too).

Quoting OA260 (Reply 12):
Hola Nils

Hi Phil, how are you?

Another great part in your Canarias series !

Thanks, I was kinda sure you’d like it  

but then most people don't turn up until T60 minutes.

Given the layout and easiness of the procedures there, I’m not surprised with that.

And don't forget the jacket

No I won’t   

I feel a dark navy blue with green piping would be more in keeping with the Binter brand.

Indeed, that would certainly enhance the vibe in the cabin. The pale white and red combo is just not... done?

Considering its a flying bus service to link the Islands its not bad at all. I do quite like the Binter product.

The product itself is really good and I also liked the fact about the free rebooking, even on cheap tickets.

Did you not go into the old town square ? Its quite pleasant there. The port area is your typical industrial non attractive zone.

No I didn’t go there, was too tired to walk around in the dark much more. Next time maybe?

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

theearlybird

Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:20 pm

Hi Nils!

Very nice report as always! Shame you missed TFN.

I´ve been on holiday to Tenerife two times yet and on both occasions I spent at least a few hours next to the runway of TFN for spotting. There is definitely less traffic than in TFS, but all pictures feature the beautiful Anaga mountains as backdrop! In 2013 I also did a daytrip TFN-LPA-TFN on Binter and no questions what the catering did look like...here it is   :

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k402/AB6464/DSC00838%20Custom_zpsb5ce1tfr.jpg
Catering on NT108 TFN-LPA back in March 2013

Looking forward to the next part of your report!

Benjamin

airbuseric

Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:03 pm

Hi Nils,
nice to see you around the Canaries. It's a nice group of islands down there. Binter, yes I remember that catering. Same back for me a few years ago. Flightwise all a bit of the same, the ATR72 is getting bored isn't it? I fly that type regularly lately and prefer something else sometimes 
Nice pictures Nils, a big pleasure to see in your reports.

Eric
"The whole world steps aside for the man who knows where he is going"

sultanils
Topic Author

Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:18 am

Quoting theearlybird (Reply 14):
Hi Nils!

Hello theearlybird, good to hear from you again!

Very nice report as always! Shame you missed TFN.

Thank you. Yeah - shame to miss out but better that than ruining the rest of the weekend by being stuck at TFN.

but all pictures feature the beautiful Anaga mountains as backdrop!

I can only dream of a sight like that now 

no questions what the catering did look like

Ha ha, seems like nothing has changed. Oh well, at least there is something which is becoming a rarity too with a lot of airlines.

Quoting airbuseric (Reply 15):
Hi Nils

Hallo Eric!

nice to see you around the Canaries.

Thanks, I had a good time there.

Flightwise all a bit of the same, the ATR72 is getting bored isn't it?

Yes, all the same indeed. And then I missed out on another airline... But you cannot have it all, can you?

Nice pictures Nils, a big pleasure to see in your reports.

Dank je, that is a nice compliment of you   

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

gpbcroppers63

Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:34 am

Hi Nils,

A great continuation of your Canarian adventure. Thanks for posting. It definitely sounds like you made the right decision to get re-booked and avoid TFN. Binter look like a decent little airline for the flight times. You need to go back and try to get on that elusive single aircraft that they actually operate themselves.  

Looking forward to the next part of the series.  

Gareth
According to one of my colleagues, my problem is that I'm addicted to travel!

dirktraveller

Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:51 pm

Hello Nils!

Great report as always. Nice to see something from the Canaries. Binter is certainly not the everyday carrier we see around the forum. I like their rather striking green livery, although I must say I'm not really a big fan of the red leather seats that comes with it.

Binter Canarias have a free seating policy on board.

Can't remember any other airline these days who have this policy on-board. Great policy for us to secure the best window seat hehe..

There’s a total of 5 gates, boarding is done by walking to the plane.

Now that's the way to board an airplane should be.

The prop is tied down to prevent it from turning by the harsh winds.

Wow, I've been on a numerous prop flights before but have never seen those prop engines being tied down. The wind must have been blowing very strong over there isn't it?

Many thanks for this report, my friend. Looking forward to more reports!

Best Regards,
Dirktraveller

sultanils
Topic Author

Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:15 pm

Quoting gpbcroppers63 (Reply 17):
Hi Nils

Hello Gareth, thanks for stopping by!

A great continuation of your Canarian adventure.

Thanks a lot, good to hear you enjoyed the report.

It definitely sounds like you made the right decision to get re-booked and avoid TFN.

Yes, it was the right decision although I took it with a lot of regret.

Binter look like a decent little airline for the flight times. You need to go back and try to get on that elusive single aircraft that they actually operate themselves.

Binter certainly fits the bill which is a flying bus service really and very cheap for residents. And that elusive single one, you mean the albino CRJ?

Quoting dirktraveller (Reply 18):
Hello Nils!

Hello dirktraveller, how are you?

Great report as always.

Terima kasih, I’m happy to hear you liked my story.

I like their rather striking green livery, although I must say I'm not really a big fan of the red leather seats that comes with it.

Exactly my opinion. The outside is quite ok but the inside is borderline revolting 

Can't remember any other airline these days who have this policy on-board. Great policy for us to secure the best window seat hehe..

Ryanair used to have this but not anymore. Actually I don’t like it as you’re never sure of a good seat. It’s mandatory you board as one of the first pax. I did succeed in that *standing proud*.

Now that's the way to board an airplane should be.

Oh yeah, definitely.

The wind must have been blowing very strong over there isn't it?

Always strong winds on the Canary islands. Hence they take their precautions.

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

FLIEGER67

Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:44 pm

Well done, Caballero N., for sure an enjoyable way to spend some time around the Canaries.

Under the wing you know - a common catch phrase that is patented by fellow reporter FLIEGER67.
Definitely utwyk 

No way, absolutely no idea here!.

Greetings,
FLIEGER67
Tripreporter.net

sultanils
Topic Author

Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:03 pm

Quoting FLIEGER67 (Reply 20):
Well done, Caballero N

Thanks Markus!

Quoting FLIEGER67 (Reply 20):
No way, absolutely no idea here!

Thought so 

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

jwhite9185

Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:15 pm

Hi there Nils, nice to read about your island hopping. Too bad it didn't go exactly to plan, but sometimes things don't just work out. At least you were able to predict any issues and change without hassle.

Binter look pretty consistent - and decent enough on the short hops.

Looking forward to taking a look at the final part.

sultanils
Topic Author

Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:28 pm

Quoting jwhite9185 (Reply 22):
Hi there Nils, nice to read about your island hopping.

Hi J, thanks for stopping by!

At least you were able to predict any issues and change without hassle.

Yeah, good thing the fare allowed free changes. Still I would’ve loved to pass by TFN, I hear the views on El Teide are great.

Binter look pretty consistent - and decent enough on the short hops.

Consistent sure and good enough for their purpose too.

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

infodesk

Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:02 pm

Hi Nils,

Having just returned from a week in Lanzarote I was particularly interested to read your report.

What a fun way to island hop (well, when there aren't any delays) and you had some quite scenery on your way. I especially like your photos of Mt Teide. However, the best one is shortly after take off from ACE, you managed to capture part of Playa Blanca and the volcanic crater of Montana Baja, which I walked up last week  

I've never been to La Palma, the capital doesn't look too special as you say, but I'm sure the island is worth exploring. As for Las Palmas, well that's a city I really liked.

After a good but too short chat, I bid adieu to OA260 and make my way airside. No bull with liquids or laptops here at security, I can leave it all in my bag

I had a rather unpleasant security experience at ACE with a very rude member of staff, glad yours was smoother.

the cabin is clean and the load is 100% with nearly half of the plane consisting of deadheading crews of TUI, Thomas Cook,... flying to LPA to start their journey home from there.

How interesting.

Seems like a fellow passenger has a similar taste in music?

Are you sure that's not my other half?

Therefore I decide to rebook myself (for free) on the direct 8h40 flight to LPA and not to fly via TFN.

Wise decision and good that you were able to do for free. And let's face it, missing out on TFN gives you an excuse to go back again next year and try again!

Happy flying
Infodesk   
"Do nothing in haste, look well to each step and from the beginning think what may be the end" - Edward Whymper

PlaneHunter

Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:43 pm

Hi Nils,

great report with many nice pictures! Good to see you got both Canair and NAYSA on your Binter journey.

Your report brings back memories of my ACE-LPA-ACE trip in 2007 - on Islas Airways and Binter (opb NAYSA).

A look at the FID shows a 4h delay for this Canaryfly flight - delayed and cancelled Canaryflies will prove to be a constant thing here unfortunately. More on that later.

Sounds very bad.

Here’s an Express delivery.

Horrible!

This flight is anncounced as operated by Canair which quite frankly I find a stupid name

Well, not as stupid as other ones.  

Not bad. But some more variety would be nice.

The operator is different, not Canair but NAYSA (Navegación y Servicios Aéreos Canarios).

A taste of Spanglish on board.

I don’t want to risk being heavily delayed or even cancelled at TFN because then I would miss my flight to LPA and consequently also the rest of the journey to FNC. Therefore I decide to rebook myself (for free) on the direct 8h40 flight to LPA and not to fly via TFN. Too bad I miss out on logging this airport but I really don’t want to jeopardize the rest of the day (and tomorrow).

Good decision, no need to risk anything!

PH
Nothing's worse than flying the same reg twice!

sultanils
Topic Author

Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:03 am

Quoting infodesk (Reply 24):
Hi Nils

Hello Hannah, good to hear from you, I hope you had a good vacation!

Having just returned from a week in Lanzarote I was particularly interested to read your report.

That’s good to know  

I especially like your photos of Mt Teide. However, the best one is shortly after take off from ACE, you managed to capture part of Playa Blanca and the volcanic crater of Montana Baja, which I walked up last week

The views on Mt Teide were magnificent and I of course I wasn’t aware that I pictured your walking spots - pure coincidence!

but I'm sure the island is worth exploring.

Yes it is, I hear it is mainly visited for walking and nature rather than for beach and sunbathing.

I had a rather unpleasant security experience at ACE with a very rude member of staff

Ouch, I’m sorry to hear that. Security folks can be a hit or miss mostly - yours clearly were a miss...

How interesting.

So I was told by OA260 and he’s a wise man  

Are you sure that's not my other half?

Pretty sure! Glad to see he’s into loud guitars too  

Wise decision and good that you were able to do for free. And let's face it, missing out on TFN gives you an excuse to go back again next year and try again!

True, but for next year I might just do something completely different methinks  

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 25):
Hi Nils

Hi PH!

great report with many nice pictures!

No problem  

Your report brings back memories of my ACE-LPA-ACE trip in 2007 - on Islas Airways and Binter (opb NAYSA).

That’s already 8 years ago? Seems like Binter is the only one to stay...

Sounds very bad.

It really was, everywhere I looked one of their flights was affected in one or another way.

Horrible!

You mean the airline or the livery  

Well, not as stupid as other ones.

Hmm, for the moment I can’t really come up with more stupid ones...

But some more variety would be nice.

Indeed, a bit of variety would be good although I was glad to get something substantial at least.

Good decision, no need to risk anything!

Just when you think you don’t need all those extra perks that come with your ticket...

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

MIAspotter

Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:46 am

Amigo Nils!

Interesting and fun report, nothing quite like spending a whole day flying (although I recently discovered I am too old for that lol)

I must say those Binter birds look smart on their livery, not so sure about the wine red interiors yuck... I still need to log the ATR, I catched the prop bug since the SF20 flight and want some mo...

Looking forward to the next installment.

Take care amigo!

MIAspotter.
Nos vamos de Vueling?

gpbcroppers63

Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:06 pm

Hi again Nils,

To answer your question:

Quoting sultanils (Reply 19):
And that elusive single one, you mean the albino CRJ?

No, I meant the one aircraft that Binter actually operate themselves (EC-JQL) rather than franchising out to a different operator such as Canair or NAYSA. I have no idea how you'd go about finding out its routes though. Lol!!

Cheers,

Gareth
According to one of my colleagues, my problem is that I'm addicted to travel!

sultanils
Topic Author

Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:03 am

Quoting MIAspotter (Reply 27):
Amigo Nils!

Hola mr MIAspotter!

Interesting and fun report

Tnx my friend, good to hear you enjoyed!

although I recently discovered I am too old for that lol

Ah, come on, you’re even youngert than me!

I must say those Binter birds look smart on their livery, not so sure about the wine red interiors yuck

Exactly my opinion. Something green on the inside to replace the red, that’s what we want 

I still need to log the ATR

You do? Well, plenty of those around so that shouldn’t pose a problem  

Quoting gpbcroppers63 (Reply 28):
No, I meant the one aircraft that Binter actually operate themselves (EC-JQL) rather than franchising out to a different operator such as Canair or NAYSA. I have no idea how you'd go about finding out its routes though. Lol!!

Interesting. Go to Flightradar24.com, fill in the reg and you get a list of last days flights. Apparently it does the regular island hops - as expected!

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

PlaneHunter

Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:22 am

Quoting sultanils (Reply 26):
That’s already 8 years ago?

Yes, I cannot believe it either...   

Seems like Binter is the only one to stay...

Well, somehow. They operate just one aircraft under their own AOC currently.

You mean the airline or the livery

The livery which can hardly be called livery. Wouldn't mind to fly it, though, just because it would be a new one in the log.

PH
Nothing's worse than flying the same reg twice!

sultanils
Topic Author

Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:42 am

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 30):
They operate just one aircraft under their own AOC currently.

So it seems yes. I had 3 flights with them. Logging the one under their own AOC would've been cool!

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 30):
The livery which can hardly be called livery. Wouldn't mind to fly it, though, just because it would be a new one in the log.

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.