Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

sultanils
Topic Author

Satap Portugal Q400 & A332: LPA-FNC-LIS

Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:03 pm

This report is dedicated to all those who lost their lives on #4U9525
This tragic event has made a big impact on me
May they all rest in peace

This is the continuation of Finally Edelweiss! BRU-ZRH-ACE (by sultanils Feb 9 2015 in Trip Reports) and
An ATR72 Armada (B)inter Canarias: ACE-LPA-SPC-LPA (by sultanils Mar 5 2015 in Trip Reports),
for more background info on how this trip started: read it all there!

LPA PART 3

The bus ride from the city to the airport takes only 20 mins non-stop. The design of the terminal extension looks quite nice and modern.

This is the older part, wearing proudly the airports name. Note the tourist transfer buses - this is only a fraction of them that pass through here.

The 1st thing I do is check the FID to see whether there are any particularities concerning my flight to Funchal. The flight actually goes to Ponta Delgada with an intermediate stop at Madeira island.

The sole check in counter is well tucked away, in a far right corner of the old building. I don’t have to use it because I checked in online the day before.

Upon clearing security it is interesting to see how well trained the staff is in dealing with holiday travellers. Indeed they are a peculiar bunch, flying only once or twice a year and not knowing the procedures well but the staff guides them with military precision, fast but not furious through the detectors    And then, the most obvious of tourist traps, after taxi touts, is laid out in front of me: duty free!

If it didn’t say ‘Gran Canaria’ I would’ve thought I was in Dubai  Wow!

I can only just withstand buying a Ferrari and just in time I emerge into the terminal. To be honest, I’ve never ever seen so much retirees together at the same place. Also, the special assistance service of the airport has a busy job as there are also lots and lots of wheelchair bound pax. It’s also unbearably hot inside    In short, not the most interesting place to be in...

With a little under an hour to go, I strategically position myself in front of a window to do some window shopping. Here’s the catch of the day!

Well look who’s here  

Split thingies belonging to some TUIfly Nordic Boeing.

This airline is very well represented here.

A Novair A321 from Sweden turning into the gate.

And in the foreground, a tail of another visitor that is far away from home, Finnair with an A321ER.

Air Berlin’s OneWorld logojet...

... which should be loaded with a bag or two  Wow!

With the spotting time over, let’s go the gate now, which is C21.

Oops, wrong way, been there done that!

Here we are. Boarding pretty much starts when I get there and it looks to be a free apron bus tour   

LPA to FNC
S45503
DHC-8-402 Dash 8 CS-TRD Manuel de Arriaga
STD-STA 15h10-16h30
Y class
seat 6D

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Toni Marimon

The route details, with the actual flown flight path.

Departure @ LPA.

Arrival @ FNC.

I (we) wait and wait and wait in the bus - apparently not everyone comes on time at the gate. The bus is parked right next to the area where the bagage trolleys are loaded and once again it amazes me how much luggage people take with them.

Finally and after waiting nearly half an hour in the bus, we drive off to the south side of the apron where our Dash8 is parked.

She seems to be accompanied by a bunch of other fairly exotic operators, as I can judge by the tails.

The bus stops and again we wait as seemingly they’re not fully done yet    That does give me some extra time to admire this good looking girl!

Named Manuel de Arriaga which is (was) a Portuguese lawyer, the first Attorney-General and the first elected President of the First Portuguese Republic, following the abdication of King Manuel II of Portugal and a Republican Provisional Government headed by Teófilo Braga according to Wikipedia. Now you know 

And now some more pics outside!

The powerplants.

Time to get aboard now!

ON BOARD FLIGHT S45503

I’m seated in row 6, all the rows in front of me remain empty. Further back I estimate the load to be over 50%. Comfort is OK but nothing more than that and the seats feel rather small. I find that the nice outside of the plane is not so much reflected on the inside. Although on a postitive note, the younger of the 2 female FA’s is just wow-ser good looking (and friendly)  

I kinda like the logo with that bird.

The main reason I picked this seat: prop view galore.

After the mandatory welcome announcements rumble and a word or 2 or more from the cockpit, we’re good to go. From afar it looks like the mad afternoon scramble at the terminal has calmed down.

Taxiiing to the active.

Mr C decides to throttle her up instantly and moments later we trundle down the runway and take off   

Few moments after we break the clouds.

Just cruisin’  

So what’s there to find in the seat pocket? SATA’s magazine for instance.

The fleet page. A310 =   

Safety, of course!

See, no one in front of me!?

Some 20 mins into the flight, it’s trolley time. We are served 1 or more drinks of choice and a pack of Azorean cookies which are mighty tasty   

The props do what they do best,   , I do feel quite some (good) vibrations though   

Here’s another iconic item of the Dash, the branded safety belt buckle.

Not before long, the cruise is over and we head down for landing at Madeira’s Funchal airport, Europe’s own Kai Tak. It’s time for a moment I’ve anticipated for quite some time! So, buckle up for a great approach into the island of flowers   

The visual approach goes perpendicular with runway 05 until at the last moment a sharp right turn is made to align with the runway. The airport comes in sight...

See how an extension of the runway is built partly in the sea?

Just great and still going straight!

Starting to bank right just now.

Huh, where has the airport gone   

Ah, there it is, touchdown! Can we go again... please   

Brake before you break is certainly the case here as the roll out zone isn’t that long and the end of the runway basically drops down in the sea. Following a 180° turn, we head for our stand - FNC has no jetbridges. Oh and it does look very lush and green here too!

It’s nice and sunny here, me like    The TAP Airbus that was here during our approach has just left.

The local spotters in action, I bet they see some action here!

The plane is parked and the doors are opened. Everyone has to disembark, also the transfer passengers continuing to Ponta Delgada, Azores.

Bye to my seat now.

And also bye to Manuel.

FNC PART 1

Nice ad just before entering the terminal building...

... and equally nice decorations inside.

Straight through the bagage reclaim area and out in the public minutes later.

See you again tomorrow airport!

19°C and it’s the end of Jan? I’m not complaining  

SANTA CRUZ DE MADEIRA

I booked a hotel near the airport, the Vila Galé de Santa Cruz. Since it is only a few km away I decide to walk there. The walk takes you just under the final approach path and it is quite a spectacular sight to watch the arriving planes land.

The start of the runway, there’s no ILS here.

Taken from a bit further down.

Idyllic surroundings.

My hotel is located right at the beach, certainly a good spot to watch the goings on in the air!

Back there I have even a better view  

The hotel, very recommendable.

Enjoying the good life   

easyJet to LGW.

Aigle Azur to ORY.

Transavia France also to ORY.

The darkness sets in steadily and after watching one more arrival, I head to the hotel for a swim, a sauna, dinner and a nights rest.

Hmm, who would that be?

Oops, sorry...

Ah, another easyJet!

The next day, I have an early start. The flight to Lisbon is due at 8h00 and thus I told the reception the night before that I’ll skip the breakfast due to me leaving very early. ‘No problem sir, you want your breakfast in your room? We happily do that for you if you like’. Well ,if you insist   And yes indeed, at 6h00 sharp there’s a knock on the door. Wow, I’m impressed with this offering! And tasty it is, even on this unholy hour in the morning.

Next I leave the hotel for the half an hour walk to the airport.

In the distance I hear the sound of a plane coming towards me - it happens to be my flight which comes from CCS and makes a stop at FNC before going further to Lisbon.

(Sorry for the blurry pic).

FNC PART 2

With half an hour to go before scheduled boarding I arrive back at the airport.

Up the elevator and through a walkway into the main building.

In a far corner I see the front end of the plane standing on the apron.

Nice and large FID - not too many flights today though.

OLCI with TAP worked like a charm, so no need to visit any of these.

The Schengen departure area, airside of course.

Strangely, our flight departs from the non-Schengen area although the pax coming from CCS are staying aboard during this stop   

About 10 mins after scheduled boarding time, the boarding actually starts and we are shipped to the waiting plane by bus. I count about 30 pax in the bus.

2000px-TAP_Portugal_Logo.svg
FNC to LIS
TP172
Airbus A330-200 CS-TOQ Pedro Teixeira
STD-STA 8h00-9h45
Y class
seat 41A

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Howard Chaloner

The route details, with the actual flown flight path.

Departure @ FNC.

Arrival @ LIS.

Entering the plane through door L2.

ON BOARD FLIGHT TP172

Having absolutely no idea about the load, I’m pleasantly surprised to see it is only average. A lot of people are sleeping on whole rows or are lazily watching tv. Two female FA’s greet us and show us the direction of our seat. First impression is better than expected admittedly. I chose the one-before-last row but a rather large older South American gentleman is sleeping over the whole row. The last row seems free so I take this one and wait for boarding to complete, which is announced a couple of minutes later. Great, I have the whole aft of the plane to myself    Here are some cabin impressions.

Enough space and no intruding box. Well, there is a box but it is small and located at the side of the seat.

IFE is touchscreen and on-demand. There’s also a USB port and a single 3,5 mm jack for audio so you can use your own headset for the IFE.

Stockings are foreseen on the seat pocket to stow extra stuff.

TAP’s inflight magazine UP.

Ze safety instructions card. Interestingly it seems only valid for regs TOQ and TOR.

The seats themselves are grey patterned cloth seats with a green headrest cover, which imho is a stylish combo.

Recline is good, also in the last row - the proximity of the lavatory can be bothersome on longer flights though.

Outside, the day is breaking.

The safety video is shown and it is a very nice and unique one, in case you didn’t see it before, it’s right here. Then also the captain and the rest of the crew welcome us on board of this flight to Lisbon. Pushback and start of the engines is a few minutes over schedule.

Then it’s a short taxi to runway 05. Now I’m able to see it from the other point of view as opposed to yesterday. Passing by very close to the edge.

The hotel can be clearly seen in the distance.

Pity the takeoff is not as powerful as I had hoped it to be, the lowish load must certainly be responsible for that   

However, the great views on the green hills make up for that!

Directly after lifting off, we make a soft right turn to align us north, direction Portugal. The town of Canical can be seen through the window.

A few tiny islands, named Ilhéu da Cevada and Ilhéu do Faro.

Early morning flights produce these nice colors...

The nice TAP logo on this winglet would look very smart methinks.

A coat hook obviously.

Let’s explore the IFE now, it seems there’s a decent choice of audio and video available. Not everything is working on this short flight - the moving map for ex and also the games were inoperative. ‘That’s because it is only a short flight sir’   

Breakfast with The Maze Runner now that sounds like a good idea   

The crew starts the brekkie round.

We get a snackbox containing a ham & cheese sandwich and an apple smoothie. Hot and cold drinks of choice are also available.

One way...

... or the other?

The occasional look out of the window shows we’re nice-n-easy cruisin’.

clouds.

After approximately 75 mins of flight comes land in sight.

The cockpit comes on the horn announcing our arrival into LIS in about 15 mins from now, with a forecast of clouds and rainshowers and a termperature of 10°C.

The approach into LIS’ runway 03 is one of the nicer ones in Europe where you overfly the city at low altitude. You can either watch it pictured here or filmed in one of the flight reports on my YouTube channel.

A famous Lisbon landmark, the Torre de Bélem.

Another landmark is the Padrão dos Descobrimentos.

Urbanisation, Lisbon style.

The Aqueduto das Águas Livres.

If soccer is your thing: the Estádio José Alvalade XXI.

Last but not least, there’s the airport! Note that we are being followed by our shadow   

Touchdown and braking. LIS’ runway is in a desperate need of repair, it’s a pothole road pur sang.

After we have left the runway, we taxi to a remote position, past these widebodies who are preparing themselves for yet another flight.

Spotting A310’s is an easy task at LIS!

That also goes for spotting exotic T7’s  

The parking position is reached, the seatbelt sign is switched off and a few mins later we’re free to go. A last look into what was my home for the past 1h30 or so.

Messy cabin after this short longhaul flight.

Well, TAP, I leave you with a good feeling! Definitely better than expected   

LIS

Out in the cold - brrr - I expected Lisbon to be warmer. But then again it’s only the end of Jan! But seeing this nice plane in full now makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. Sorry, I’m getting too lyrical...   

This is not a prop 

The bus drives off to the terminal building, leaving the cleaners behind to do their work.

I like this livery a lot!

After being dropped off at the terminal, I head for immigration, the airport exit and the city.

Then back to the airport for the last flight home on Brussels Airlines. No more pics as off here as I feel this report is already a long one  Wow! If you want to see what the flight on Brussels Airlines was like, you can see it here. Although it’s the same flight LIS-BRU, it’s been flown a few months prior but the general impression is the same, enjoy!

CONCLUSION

My Portuguese wanderings were succesful! Glad to have logged a flight on SATA and even more glad to have experienced the approach and landing in FNC. I can only recommend this experience to anyone. Also SATA did a good job with catering and service which were perfectly adequate for this flight.
It was only my second flight with TAP but this seems enough to form a definite and positive opinion on them. The plane’s interior was really nice, cosy and modern and the IFE was on par with many other operators. Their LIS hub I find just so-and-so for the old part of the terminal, the newer part is much better.

Obrigado for reading and feel free to leave a comment down below,

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

rogerbcn

RE: Satap Portugal Q400 & A332: LPA-FNC-LIS

Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:42 pm

Hola Sultanils!

Great report.

Impressive prictures and really nice trip.

Sata livery is one of the best otu there and they seem to provide a great service from LPA-FNC.

The Canaries, as an outermost region of the EU, is a tax free land... So, good for any one visitng there. Even nationals can buy in the duty free at reduced prices. Ther is not VAT, just a local sales tax of 7% ICIG... Go figure! They live on tourism, about 12 M visitors per year and winter is high season.... especially for Northern Europeans.

Funchal is a magic place and it would make a great a.net meeting, don't you think so?

Salut!

Roger
"At reise er at leve" H.C. Andersen (Traveling is Living)

emek96

Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:08 pm

Hi Nils!

Another nice and interesting report!
Glad you could fly on the Q400 of SATA!
Also Madeira seems to be such a nice place, have to go there also in the future! The inroom breakfast you got there looks really tasty btw!
Also your flight on the A330 of TAP was a nice one, always nice to have a light load on a widebody!

greetings
Elias
Lufthansa is the best airline in the world!

lychemsa

Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:23 pm

How is the weather like now in Las Palmas?

Too cold to swim in the ocean if I am correct?

I love Madeira. But would like to visit the Canaries.

lesfalls

Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:44 pm

Hey Nils, Great TR.

Both flights looked amazing. For short flights it looks like you receive quite good service(Azoran cookies looked good   ). Why thought does the flight from CCS to LIS stop in FNC? Anyways great TR  
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.

frostyj

Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:22 pm

This is an interesting report. The Lis airport reminds me on Alicante airport.
[url=http://m.maploco.com/details/5f34zxvq][img]http://www.maploco.com/vmap/s/8395334.png[/img][/url]

infodesk

Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:49 am

Hi Nils,

First of all, how moving with the dedication. It's a very difficult time.

Thank you for the final installment of your Canaries trip, once again it was very enjoyable.

LPA is sure a busy airport as your pictures prove, and that was January. What must it be like in high season?

You found an interesting combo to reurn to mainland Europe with Sata and TAP. What kind of passengers were on the Sata flight? Residents or holidaymakers? A nice catch with the A330 back to LIS as well, legroom looks good and the cabin modern, would be happy to take a longhaul flight with them.

Quoting sultanils (Thread starter):
Well look who’s here

Looking good, as always!

booked a hotel near the airport, the Vila Galé de Santa Cruz. Since it is only a few km away I decide to walk there. The walk takes you just under the final approach path and it is quite a spectacular sight to watch the arriving planes land.

Of course that had nothing to do with why you booked it?  
And yes indeed, at 6h00 sharp there’s a knock on the door. Wow, I’m impressed with this offering! And tasty it is, even on this unholy hour in the morning.

Wow, what a spread! Excellent service.

Messy cabin after this short longhaul flight.

It never ceases to amaze me the mess some people leave behind.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences with us.

Happy flying
Infodesk   
"Do nothing in haste, look well to each step and from the beginning think what may be the end" - Edward Whymper

sultanils
Topic Author

Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:08 am

Quoting rogerbcn (Reply 1):
Hola Sultanils!

Hola Roger!

Great report.

Impressive prictures and really nice trip.

Thank you, I’m glad you enjoyed it!

Sata livery is one of the best otu there and they seem to provide a great service from LPA-FNC.

Yeah, the SATA livery is very nice indeed. Also service wise there was nothing to complain about.

The Canaries, as an outermost region of the EU, is a tax free land...

Oh, I didn’t know that. So the duty free must do good business then.

Funchal is a magic place and it would make a great a.net meeting, don't you think so?

Funchal is really great and would make an excellent place for a meet, yes!

Quoting emek96 (Reply 2):
Hi Nils!

Another nice and interesting report!

Hello Elias, many thanks for your comments!

Glad you could fly on the Q400 of SATA!

Me was glad too 

Also Madeira seems to be such a nice place

I didn’t expect it to be this nice, would go there again in a jiffy!

Also your flight on the A330 of TAP was a nice one, always nice to have a light load on a widebody!

I’m really happy how this planning turned out and that I was able to experience the TAP product for longhaul.

Quoting lychemsa (Reply 3):
How is the weather like now in Las Palmas?

Winter, which means nice but not too warm like in summer. A nice place to spend the winter - like many do.

Quoting lychemsa (Reply 3):
Too cold to swim in the ocean if I am correct?

Yes, too cold. Well, I didn’t try but I expect it to be.

Quoting lesfalls (Reply 4):
Hey Nils, Great TR.

Thanks lesfalls!

For short flights it looks like you receive quite good service

Indeed, good service, both on catering and well, crew service!?

Why thought does the flight from CCS to LIS stop in FNC?

No idea really. The funny things is there are 2 flights a week from CCS to LIS, on Sat and Sun. The Sat one stops at FNC and the Sun one is direct.

Quoting frostyj (Reply 5):
This is an interesting report.

Thank you frostyj, good to hear you enjoyed it.

Quoting frostyj (Reply 5):
The Lis airport reminds me on Alicante airport.

Oh does it? Can’t tell, never been there (yet).

Quoting infodesk (Reply 6):
Hi Nils

Hello Hannah, good to hear from you!

First of all, how moving with the dedication. It's a very difficult time.

It is...

once again it was very enjoyable.

Good to hear you liked the report thanks!

What must it be like in high season?

You can only imagine. Even more retirees and families with screaming kids  

You found an interesting combo to reurn to mainland Europe with Sata and TAP.

I thought so, I’m really glad I could schedule this combo.

What kind of passengers were on the Sata flight?

It was a mixed bunch really but I think mostly Azorean and Madeira residents.

A nice catch with the A330 back to LIS as well, legroom looks good and the cabin modern, would be happy to take a longhaul flight with them.

TAP convinced me with their longhaul product, it is competitive!

Looking good, as always!

They seem to be everywhere now lol!

Of course that had nothing to do with why you booked it?

No, not really. I just wanted a good hotel with some amenities and I knew this one was very good. Also, there happened to be a promo so it was excellent value!

Wow, what a spread! Excellent service.

Yummy it was and an excellent start of they day. I need my brekkie in the morning  

It never ceases to amaze me the mess some people leave behind.

Indeed, but in general it wasn’t so bad, probably due to the rather light load.

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

PlaneHunter

Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:46 am

Hi Nils,

another great report filled with many great pictures! I really like Madeira, wouldn't mind to go there again. Too bad we didn't get on a TAP A332 back then. The cabin looks fine, but I don't like the seat colors.

The powerplants.

Are you kidding? How can you call those powerplants?  

The fleet page. A310 =

Very detailed, also showing the single subtypes.   

Interestingly it seems only valid for regs TOQ and TOR.

Both are ex-TAM planes, added only in mid-2014. They are the only two A330-203s in the fleet, the others are A330-202s and A330-223s.

PH
Nothing's worse than flying the same reg twice!

sultanils
Topic Author

Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:47 am

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 8):
Hi Nils,

another great report filled with many great pictures!

Hello PH, glad to see your comments!

I really like Madeira, wouldn't mind to go there again.

Madeira is fab indeed, I liked it a lot too, more my thing than the Canaries tbh. And a cool place for an a.net meet  

Too bad we didn't get on a TAP A332 back then. The cabin looks fine, but I don't like the seat colors.

I must say the A332 service was only discovered by hazard but I'm glad I could include it in my itinerary. You don't like the seat colors? I think they are quite ok.

How can you call those powerplants?

Ha ha, well they do produce 'some' power, don't they  

Very detailed, also showing the single subtypes.

That's what I thought as well, can't tell though if it's all correct or not.

Both are ex-TAM planes, added only in mid-2014.

That's what I saw as well while looking up the reg's history.

They are the only two A330-203s in the fleet, the others are A330-202s and A330-223s.

Interesting. I wouldn't know the difference but you clearly do, as expected  

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

roberts87

Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:28 pm

Hello Nils,

Great report again! The SATA service from the Canary Islands to Madeira is a nice choice, didn't know they operated that. Madeira itself for sure is a unique airport, glad I was able to experience it myself last year. Good idea to go on the widebody service, makes the experience even better!

How did you return back home from Lisbon?

Take care,
Robert

OA260

Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:34 pm

Hey Nils  

Great report. Nice to read about your continued tour of the Canarias and onward to Madeira. The outside of LPA certainly looks better than I thought. I have never been outside only transited. The Duty Free looks the same as the new one in ACE but ACE is slightly better laid out. Prices are not great its better to buy at the Indian shops in the resorts. Still at least it looks modern and clean.

Great looking SATA livery . Love it. I have been looking into doing this route sometime so it was great to see your experiences.

Madeira is a place I love. Great spotting and a lovely Island. Shame you didn't have more time to explore. Maybe a trip back one day with the Family? The Botanical gardens and cable car are nice to do.

TAP look better than I expected too. I didn't have such a good flight on them in fact it was FNC-LGW. I quite like their seats and of course great to get a wide body on such a route. Glad it worked out well with the seating .  

Flying into LIS looked great. I have sailed past the Belem Tower and Discoveries monument a few times. Often taking pics of the flights coming into LIS. Nice city. Did you get a chance to look around Lisbon?

Anyway look forward to the next one

Regards

Philip  

YYZAMS

Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:30 am

I was just searching for reports on FNC the other day and lo and behold your great report appeared!! Great pictures!

Was the flight catered in FNC or was your breakfast brought in from CCS?

sultanils
Topic Author

Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:27 pm

Quoting roberts87 (Reply 10):
Hello Nils,

Great report again!

Hi Robert, thank you!

didn't know they operated that.

Me neither until I did a ‘thorough’ investigation of flights in the region 

Madeira itself for sure is a unique airport

It really is, the perfect a.net meeting place I’d say.

Good idea to go on the widebody service, makes the experience even better!

I was most glad that I was able to include this one into my schedule.

How did you return back home from Lisbon?

Direct with Brussels Airlines, enough flying for the weekend  

Quoting OA260 (Reply 11):
Hey Nils

Great report.

Hello Philip, tnx and good to hear from you again.

The outside of LPA certainly looks better than I thought. I have never been outside only transited.

The new part is really nice inside out, it sort of has the grandeur of MAD T4 but is completely different. The old terminal outside is OK but the inside is a shack unfortunately...

Great looking SATA livery

Nice, ain’t it?

Madeira is a place I love

Me too. Am going again definitely, I hear it’s a good place to walk and walk and walk. And now let that be something I really like to do  

TAP look better than I expected too.

Indeed. It was my second flight with them, first one seeing their longhaul product. While not overwhelming in hardware I find they have a modern and appealing corporate image with the red, green, grey and white. Also their livery I find very nice.

I didn't have such a good flight on them in fact it was FNC-LGW

I’m sorry to hear that. Anything in particular that was not good or the flight as a whole?

Glad it worked out well with the seating

Yes, thanks to TAP allowing check in 72h (!) in advance.

Flying into LIS looked great.

It is one of my favourite city approaches in Europe. And the weather is mostly nice so the views are great. Only that runway  

Did you get a chance to look around Lisbon?

I did have 2h there and visited some sights and had lunch. Am going back with the wife and kids in Sept for a weekend.

Quoting YYZAMS (Reply 12):
your great report appeared!! Great pictures!

Hey YYZAMS, thanks a lot!

Quoting YYZAMS (Reply 12):
Was the flight catered in FNC or was your breakfast brought in from CCS?

I believe it was catered in CCS.

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

dirktraveller

Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:36 am

Hi Nils,

Great to see another report of yours, an interesting read as always   .

dedicated to all those who lost their lives on #4U9525

That was very nice of you! It was indeed a very sad and disturbing tragedy. My thoughts and prayers goes to those onboard and their loved ones.

he design of the terminal extension looks quite nice and modern.

Like the design of the terminal. This section of the airport must have been recently refurbished or built?

A Novair A321 from Sweden turning into the gate.

Like the "novair" title on the aircraft body, but I've actually never heard of the company before. Are they a subsidiary of major airline company, like LH or SAS probably?

We are served 1 or more drinks of choice and a pack of Azorean cookies which are mighty tasty

Looks pretty good to me!

The props do what they do best,

I think the bird logo was a nice touch on the props. Like it!  .

Ah, there it is, touchdown! Can we go again... please

Haha the airline would not mind if you want to go again, given that you purchase another ticket!  .

Here are some cabin impressions.

The TAP A330 looks really great! The interior looks very modern and comfortable, seems like a suitable product for an even longer flight.

Many thanks for sharing the report. Looking forward to see more of your reports

Best Regards,
Dirktraveller

SCQ83

Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:38 pm

Nice report. I have always been curious about that SATA flight between Canarias and Azores, wondering which are the reasons behind it. AFAIK there are not many links between the two regions. I wonder if SATA offers connections from the Canary Islands to the US/Canada on top of mainland Portugal.

As for the Duty Free, that is the new standard in AENA's (Spanish airport authority) airports. Since AENA is publicly traded company from February (and stock is already up by 70% after the IPO   ) they are looking for new sources of revenues.

Now all duty-frees are walk-through and have that typography and style (which I think it is very nice), and in addition they are adding more 'mall'-like stores, cafeterias and restaurants. They are doing a good job. They are likely taking inspiration on UK airports which in Europe are leading in that regard (the mall-airport culture).

sultanils
Topic Author

Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:02 pm

Quoting dirktraveller (Reply 14):
Hi Nils,

Great to see another report of yours, an interesting read as always

Hey Mr Lightyear, many thanks for your comments, glad you enjoyed my writing  

That was very nice of you!

The least I could do, I guess...?

Like the design of the terminal. This section of the airport must have been recently refurbished or built?

The new terminal is definitely nice, yes. According to Wiki: ‘... in 2013 the original passenger terminal building, opened in 1946, was demolished to make way for a further extension which opened in 2014’. So yes, it’s brandnew!

Are they a subsidiary of major airline company, like LH or SAS probably?

No, they are a standalone charter airline, operating mainly from Sweden and Norway. Part of the Kuoni travel group if that rings a bell?

I think the bird logo was a nice touch on the props. Like it!

Cool, ain’t it   

given that you purchase another ticket

Of course! Well, maybe I might just do that anytime (soon). It was so cool!

The TAP A330 looks really great! The interior looks very modern and comfortable, seems like a suitable product for an even longer flight.

Glad to see TAP having a decent enough onboard product. I was always a bit wary of using them but on this flight they convinced me.

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 15):
Nice report.

Thanks SCQ83!

I wonder if SATA offers connections from the Canary Islands to the US/Canada on top of mainland Portugal.

That is an interesting question as I always assumed SATA to be more of a point-to-point carrier rather than offering connections through their main ‘hubs’ of LIS and PDL.

As for the Duty Free, that is the new standard in AENA's (Spanish airport authority) airports. Since AENA is publicly traded company from February (and stock is already up by 70% after the IPO ) they are looking for new sources of revenues.

It might be a new standard but I still don’t like being shuttled through waves of perfume and chocolates before boarding my flight. Give me window and an apron view and I’m happy as a clam. But I understand your point, airports are no charity organisations.

the mall-airport culture

You could very much call it like this  

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

FLIEGER67

Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:48 pm

Obrigado senhor Nils,

thank you and well done. For sure not the everyday routing and also not the everyday airline stuff.
Nice pictures to show me a full impression.
Been at the very same FNC location also onwards for Porto Santo!.

Greetings,
FLIEGER67
Tripreporter.net

CaptainRed

Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:59 am

Hola Nils,

another great report with great pictures in your island hopping series, looks like you had a wonderful time. That approach into FNC looks really spectacular, still missing in my log but very high on the To-Fly-List  

Plus you had it combined with another nice approach, the LIS runway 3 is quite stunning as well with the views over the city and all the special landmarks. Well done to log a TAP widebody on this flight, and I have to agree with you, I also have a very positive opinion of TAP.

Wow, I’m impressed with this offering! And tasty it is, even on this unholy hour in the morning.

Now that's a great service, what a generous breakfast. And all within walking distance to the airport, great views and directly at the sea, what else do you need?

The nice TAP logo on this winglet would look very smart methinks.

CaptainRed

sultanils
Topic Author

Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:14 pm

Quoting FLIEGER67 (Reply 17):
Obrigado senhor Nils,

thank you and well done.

Hello Mr Flieger, thanks!

Nice pictures to show me a full impression.

Thank you   The things you do to please your audience 

Been at the very same FNC location also onwards for Porto Santo!

Oh really? The Vila Galé? I can only recommend that place, close to the airport and really good value. And you went to Porto Santo? Sounds nice, sadly I had no time for that...

Quoting CaptainRed (Reply 18):
Hola Nils,

another great report with great pictures in your island hopping series

Hello CaptainRed, thanks a lot!

That approach into FNC looks really spectacular, still missing in my log but very high on the To-Fly-List

You really should do it, it is way beyond cool  Wow! Make sure to pick a seat on the right side (pun intended) for the best views  

Plus you had it combined with another nice approach, the LIS runway 3 is quite stunning as well with the views over the city and all the special landmarks.

Yeah, LIS approach is wonderful as well seeing the landmarks and the green city.

Well done to log a TAP widebody on this flight, and I have to agree with you, I also have a very positive opinion of TAP.

I’m glad I was able to include the big TAP in my schedule. Now only I want to do another longer flight on a narrowbody in Europe or so. The flight from FAO to LIS I did was way too short. Oh, there’s a video of that on my YouTube channel  

Now that's a great service, what a generous breakfast. And all within walking distance to the airport, great views and directly at the sea, what else do you need?

Nothing else needed. Perfect service by the staff of the Vila Galé hotel   

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

aerdingus

Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:57 am

I never realised FNC & LPA were so close....like Dash 8 close!   

Looks like you had a perfect evening in Funchal, bit jealous.

TP looks very nice, the A330 looked very new and clean. I love that livery too the way it wraps around the fuselage!

Obrigado!

A306 A313 A319 A320 A321 A333 A346 A359 ATR42 ATR72 B734 B737 B738 B744 B772 B789 C152 MD80 RJ85 S340

The777Man

Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:24 pm

Hi Nils !

Nice to see the continuation of your trip to the Canary Islands !

I’m seated in row 6, all the rows in front of me remain empty. Further back I estimate the load to be over 50%. Comfort is OK but nothing more than that and the seats feel rather small. I find that the nice outside of the plane is not so much reflected on the inside. Although on a postitive note, the younger of the 2 female FA’s is just wow-ser good looking (and friendly)  

Legroom actually looks very good, especially for a turboprop. Nice to hear that the F/As were friendly.

Some 20 mins into the flight, it’s trolley time. We are served 1 or more drinks of choice and a pack of Azorean cookies which are mighty tasty   

Very nice service for a flight like that!

The airport comes in sight...

Very nice pictures of the approach to Madeira !

Great, I have the whole aft of the plane to myself    Here are some cabin impressions.

Nice looking cabin!

That also goes for spotting exotic T7’s

Always nice to see pictures of TAAG's 777s at LIS! Brings back nice memories of my flight with them.

Thanks for another nice report ! Looking forward to the next one.

The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

phatfarmlines

Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:37 pm

Thanks for putting together this TR. What website are you using for the flight tracking?

sultanils
Topic Author

Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:52 am

Quoting aerdingus (Reply 20):

I never realised FNC & LPA were so close....like Dash 8 close!

Hello aerdingus, yeah - only about an hours flight away to the north.

Looks like you had a perfect evening in Funchal, bit jealous.

It was very cool watching the arrivals. Although mainly narrowbodies and not so much traffic though that evening.

TP looks very nice, the A330 looked very new and clean. I love that livery too the way it wraps around the fuselage!

TAP really left a good impression on me, and the livery is very nice and modern methinks.

Quoting The777Man (Reply 21):
Hi Nils !

Nice to see the continuation of your trip to the Canary Islands !

Hi Lars, thanks!

Legroom actually looks very good, especially for a turboprop. Nice to hear that the F/As were friendly.

Good service indeed on SATA, above expectations really.

Very nice service for a flight like that!

The cookies were yummy and crunchy, liked them a lot.

Very nice pictures of the approach to Madeira !

Thanks, it was one of the nicest ones I ever had the pleasure to experience!

Always nice to see pictures of TAAG's 777s at LIS! Brings back nice memories of my flight with them.

Of course you’ve flown their T7 already, good to hear you had a great journey with them.

Quoting phatfarmlines (Reply 22):
Thanks for putting together this TR.

No problem phatfarmlines!

Quoting phatfarmlines (Reply 22):
What website are you using for the flight tracking?

I record the track with the Viewranger app for Android on my mobile phone and then export and plot it against a map on their regular website. Easy weezy!

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.