Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

sultanils
Topic Author

ET Flies Home (On The B787): ARN-VIE

Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:29 pm

INTRODUCTION

Greetings fellow aviators and welcome to this (short) trip report,

A few weeks ago I had the pleasure to experience another 5th freedom route in Europe, namely the ARN-VIE service by Ethiopian Airlines. For a long time I had my eye on this route - which is usually operated by either a B757 or B767 - and finally I was able to fit it into my schedule. Connecting flights on Lufthansa (no report here but you can find video reports of those and many more on my YouTube channel) and a one way ARN-VIE on Ethiopian Airlines were booked and I was quite happy to learn that for a dedicated period of time Ethiopian decided to deploy their B787 iso the other foreseen equipment. A most welcome upgrade for this flight for sure!

The route on a map (courtesy of Great Circle Mapper, copyright Karl L Schwartz), I’m sure though everyone knows the whereabouts of ARN and VIE  

ARN

After a pleasant couple of flight on Lufthansa, BRU-FRA-ARN, I arrive at ARN around 18h00 on a Sat evening. The approach into ARN was really great with clear blue skies and low light of the sun slowly setting.

This is not the ship that brought me here, it’s the MUC flight  

ARN is not too busy at this time of day.

ARN is really easy for connecting, especially if you’re flying *A - what I deliberately did. A look at the FID shows my flight, ET725.

Then it’s a short walk from one terminal area to another.

The gate 17 is located at the far end of the terminal, with immigration control right in front. Although it is difficult to get a good picture, I’m really glad with what I see. This is ET-AOV, the expected B787 and 1 of 12 examples currently in the fleet.

With 15 mins to go until scheduled boarding, I make my way through immigration...

... and take a seat in the gate area. It's crowded here with a lot of pax for 2 Freebird flights to SAW and AYT also waiting.

Next we are invited to enter the separate boarding area for our flight and my boarding pass is scanned. There's a bit of confusion when I show my national Belgian ID card - which is perfectly adequate for travel between ARN and VIE - as the gate agent asks me for a 'real passport'   In the end it's all perfectly fine but I feel the staff should know about this.

Cool scale, African style   

Waiting, once more...

After the status holders, business class flyers, families with children and those needing assistance have boarded, it's finally time for me and the other 'normal' people to enter our vessel.

ARN to VIE
ET725
Boeing 787-800 ET-AOV
STD-STA 20h00-22h05
Y class
seat 37A

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Serge Dejonckheere

ON BOARD FLIGHT ET725

First impression of the cabin is very good, I like the abundance of lively colors which give the cabin a certain ambience.

My seat for this almost 2h hop, window last row as usual. A blanket and pillow are provided for each passenger.

Welcome on board!

Pax are slowly settling in their seats. The load in the end will be rather light.

A view to the right.

And a view to the back - mind the painting on the wall.

The headrest covers feature this nice logo.

The B787 has nice large windows, perfect for a day flight but not of much use tonight unfortunately 

One of the 2 Freebird Airbii can be seen through the window.

Legroom is quite good and the seat itself is of the forward sliding recline type. The footrest I always find a bit of a nuisance. And lo and behold, where's that dreaded IFE box  Wow!

The cup holder with its turning inner holder proved of not much use either as I managed to spill my drink due to it flipping over   

The IFE is touchscreen operated but also via this fixed controller in the armrest.

Headsets are distributed, they have a double jack so take your adapter if you want to use your own pair.

A look up to the sky  

Individual air vents are present too.

Recline seems to be industry standard. For me it makes more of a difference when the seat next to you is unoccupied in terms of seating comfort.

Boarding takes its sweet time, meanwhile a video on Ethiopia is shown on the IFE system.

Then there's an announcement: "Cabin crew prepare for departure"

A safety demo is shown next, in English and another one - but which...?

The demo also includes a manual on how to use the lavatory.

As the plane pushes back 20 mins past schedule, the crew does another round to check for seatbelts, tables, ... Also, the mood lighting is set to another... well, mood? And hey, close those bins, will ya   

We trundle towards the departure runway which is 08 tonight.

A leisurely takeoff follows with nice and clear views as we circle around the airport and continue our southbound journey towards VIE.

I don't bother to take any pics as my camera doesn't cope with the low light and window reflections that well.
Meanwhile, I set the IFE to the most important function (at least for me); the moving map.

Before I further explore the cabin and amenities, I unpack the blanket. Not only for trip reporting purposes but also because it's rather chilly in the cabin.

The fasten seatbelt sign is switched off fairly quickly and as the crew prepares for the service, I have a look at the contents of the seat pocket. Here's ET's inflight magazine Selamta.

The fleet info page.

Safety anyone?

Some other items I forgot about, the ubiquitous window dimmer.

A coat hook and USB port for charging our power hungry devices.

Sadly, there's quite some wear and tear visible in the cabin 

The contents of the IFE is good but not overwhelming.

There's a good amount of recent and classic movies and audio to keep you entertained during your journey. I'm having my doubts though whether the Interstellar movie would look stellar on this tiny screen...

And I think this page isn't updated for a long time. How long ago is it since they only had 4 B787's?

About half an hour into the flight, the trolley passes by. I anticipated a hot meal for this sector - like Air China does on BCN-VIE - but no, a chicken sandwich and drink(s) of choice it is. The sandwich is tasty though and a second one is given without a problem.

After these drinks - and one I had in ARN before - a lavatory visit becomes mandatory. The place is clean but not many amenities are found. In fact there's only hand soap...

Here's a view in the galley, when coming from the toilet.

And the rear door, which I rather open not now 

In the forward cabin, the crew is still occupied with their service round.

The remainder of the flight I keep myself busy with the IFE and some music and after 1h45 approximately, the flight deck announces our arrival in VIE. The cabin is prepared once again and little later we land safely on VIE's runway 16. A 5 minute taxi ensues and we dock at one of the D gates.

The people continuing their journey may stay on board during the 1h stop but I off course head for the plane's exit, thanking the crew on my way out.

VIE

Now let's find a bench to sleep on in the F terminal  

CONCLUSION

So how did ET perform? Not too bad actually imho. The onboard comfort proved to be very good, also the IFE has potential if you don't expect it to be like EK's ICE for example. I did expect the crew to be a bit warmer and more generous with their smiles, sadly they just did their job and the enthusiasm was a bit lacking. Also the food was a letdown but in any case I got more or less the same that other airline offers on this route. Maybe I expected too much? In any case, I will not doubt to fly again on Ethiopian Airlines if the occasion may arise!

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

lychemsa

RE: ET Flies Home (On The B787): ARN-VIE

Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:47 pm

In the US would get zippo.

Seems same as OS or do they also sell food now?

The flight looks empty.

dirktraveller

Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:42 pm

Helloo Flying-Sultan

Great to see another interesting read from you!! It is always nice to have a brand new aircraft on a fifth-freedom service like what ET had on the ARN-VIE route. The dreamliner looks great and shining although from your experience it seems like we can't share the same comment about ET?

Quoting sultanils (Thread starter):
First impression of the cabin is very good, I like the abundance of lively colors which give the cabin a certain ambience.

Nice. The mix of colours looks just bright and lively!

Then there's an announcement: "Cabin crew prepare for departure"

Wow are those people the only passengers on your flight?? How was the load on this flight?

Legroom is quite good and the seat itself is of the forward sliding recline type.

Seems like it has a good legroom, and minus the IFE box.. seems like that's the best you can get in a long-haul Y class product.

I unpack the blanket. Not only for trip reporting purposes but also because it's rather chilly in the cabin.

Cool! I like the large "Ethiopian" titles on the blanket!

The sandwich is tasty though and a second one is given without a problem.

Well the meal was quite a let down but the sandwich itself seems decent though.

there's quite some wear and tear visible in the cabin

Oh my, if those signs have started as early, I can only imagine what will become of this aircraft... 20 years down the road.

I did expect the crew to be a bit warmer and more generous with their smiles, sadly they just did their job and the enthusiasm was a bit lacking.

That was rather unfortunate.. considering the light load on your flight they certainly could have done better.

Many thanks for sharing this report my friend!

Best Regards,
Dirktraveller

roberts87

Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:12 pm

Hello Nils,

Good to read about your trip with ET! Of course I already heard about it during our brief visit in Brussels, but very nice to see it in detail. The cabin looks very nice with the colors, pictures and mood lightning!

There's a bit of confusion when I show my national Belgian ID card - which is perfectly adequate for travel between ARN and VIE - as the gate agent asks me for a 'real passport'   In the end it's all perfectly fine but I feel the staff should know about this.

I had a similar experience back in 2010, flying the short-lived American 767 flight between LHR and BRU. Groundstaff at LHR had to check if the ID card was sufficient. Mind you, I was flying from London to Brussels, it it was the other way around towards the US I could at least somewhat understand the confusion.

FLIEGER67

Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:38 pm

Well done, Kaptenen N.,
definitely a good idea to bring Swedish, Austrian and Ethiopian spirits together.
The cabin looks like really good in comparison to the usual standard euro carriers.
Looking for more, you know.
Greetings, FLIEGER67
Tripreporter.net

Carfield

Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:21 am

Thanks for a great report and given I just flew ET-AOV a few days ago too.

Yes I agree about the F/As - they are not too overly enthusiastic.
The sandwiches looked a bit lacking but I guess they matched what the offering from their European partners, rather than the typical international standard. But at least wines are free!
ET 787s are nice and there are potentials. Let hope they will up their notch a bit more.

Carfield

lesfalls

Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:32 am

Great TR  . I completely forgot abiut this 5th freedom flight until you brougtht this TR up. Is there a big ethopian dispora in Stockholm?What was the load on the ARN-VIE sector? Anyways thank you for such an amazing TR .
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.

sultanils
Topic Author

Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:55 am

Quoting lychemsa (Reply 1):
In the US would get zippo.

This obviously isn’t the US  

Seems same as OS or do they also sell food now?

I don’t know what OS does for catering - probably something similar. No, they don’t do BOB.

The flight looks empty.

It was. About 30% my guess.

Quoting dirktraveller (Reply 2):
Helloo Flying-Sultan

Great to see another interesting read from you!!

Hi dirktraveller, good to hear from you again and thank you for your comments.

The dreamliner looks great and shining although from your experience it seems like we can't share the same comment about ET?

Ha ha, that’s true!

Nice. The mix of colours looks just bright and lively!

Yes, a good representation of colourful Africa.

How was the load on this flight?

Not so good, about 30% I think. But when passing the gate area at VIE it seems there were quite a few people waiting to board from there and go to ADD.

Seems like it has a good legroom, and minus the IFE box.. seems like that's the best you can get in a long-haul Y class product.

I looked and looked but I didn’t find a box. The longhaul onboard product was certainly sufficient and on par with competitors.

Cool! I like the large "Ethiopian" titles on the blanket!

Me too, playful and stylish at the same time.

Well the meal was quite a let down but the sandwich itself seems decent though.

The sandwich wasn’t bad really but I guess I expected too much with the hot meal?

Oh my, if those signs have started as early, I can only imagine what will become of this aircraft... 20 years down the road.

Really sad to see this young aircraft already in a state of decay. Also there werre a lot of seats with the upholstery loose and such... Not good.

That was rather unfortunate.. considering the light load on your flight they certainly could have done better.

I expected the crew to represent the ‘warmth of Africa’ but sadly I didn’t get much more than a burning and fading lucifer - metaphorically speaking lol!

Many thanks for sharing this report my friend!

No problem, my pleasure!

Quoting roberts87 (Reply 3):
Hello Nils,

Good to read about your trip with ET!

Hey Robert, good to hear from you again!

Of course I already heard about it during our brief visit in Brussels, but very nice to see it in detail. The cabin looks very nice with the colors, pictures and mood lightning!

Yes, we talked about it briefly during our little walk through BRU   The onboard product is indeed quite nice.

I had a similar experience back in 2010, flying the short-lived American 767 flight between LHR and BRU.

Seems like the Swedes are not allowed to travel with their national ID card - hence the confusion. I guess the rules between countries are different and impossible for the gate agents to know them all?

Quoting FLIEGER67 (Reply 4):
Well done, Kaptenen N.,
definitely a good idea to bring Swedish, Austrian and Ethiopian spirits together.

Hey Markus, thanks a lot, glad you enjoyed.

Quoting FLIEGER67 (Reply 4):
The cabin looks like really good in comparison to the usual standard euro carriers.

Indeed, it very well represents the African spirit.

Quoting Carfield (Reply 5):
Thanks for a great report and given I just flew ET-AOV a few days ago too.

No problem Carfield, glad you enjoyed. What a coincidence you flew the same frame!

Yes I agree about the F/As - they are not too overly enthusiastic.

And that’s a shame really as they could really present this African airline and its assets in a positive way.

The sandwiches looked a bit lacking but I guess they matched what the offering from their European partners, rather than the typical international standard. But at least wines are free!

My guess too. Glad it was all free. I just expected a bit more really.

ET 787s are nice and there are potentials.

True to that, the hardware in Y is quite good - apart from the obvious wear and tear...

Quoting Lesfalls (Reply 6):
Great TR

Thanks lesfalls, good to hear from you again.

Is there a big ethopian dispora in Stockholm?

I haven’t a clue. Maybe one of the locals here can tell?

What was the load on the ARN-VIE sector?

Not so good, my guess around 30%. The whole aft section was mine 

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

OA260

Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:03 am

Hey Nils  

Great report. Love the interior colours of ET. Much better than the boring interiors some airlines have.
The torn seat pocket looks a bit bad though. Hopefully they have fixed it since!

Never knew they had a MD11 Cargo looks fab in that livery.

Looking forward to reading more from you.

Regards

Philip  

sultanils
Topic Author

Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:24 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 8):
Hey Nils

Great report

Hey Philip, good to hear from you again! Thanks!

Quoting OA260 (Reply 8):
Love the interior colours of ET. Much better than the boring interiors some airlines have.

Love the interior too. It very well reflects the colourful continent that is Africa methinks. Not boring at all!

Quoting OA260 (Reply 8):
The torn seat pocket looks a bit bad though.

Yeah, and that was not the only damage, upholstery coming loose on several seats too...

Quoting OA260 (Reply 8):
Never knew they had a MD11 Cargo looks fab in that livery.

Me neither but I doubt if all the fleet info on this page is correct   Ask PH 

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

ams747757

Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:52 pm

An enjoyable read! I really like the cabin on ET's 787... you're right the colors are quite nice, and something different from the usual drab grays and blues many airlines have. Legroom looks decent too. What a great way to experience the Dreamliner on a fairly short flight thanks to 5th freedom!

ManchesterMAN

Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:07 pm

I regret reading this report as that's another load of money Ill have to spend to take this trip now, thanks 

Seriously though, great report and I am now working out the best way of doing it one weekend.
Flown: A300,A319,A320,A321,A330,A340.A380,717,727,737,747,757,767,777,DC9,DC10,MD11,MD80,F100,F50,ERJ,E190,CRJ,BAe146,Da

BrusselsSouth

Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:55 am

Hi Nils, Good to see you scored another intra-European 787, on an 'exotic' airline for that matter, and thanks for this nice report.

The Ethiopian Dreamliner experience looks decent for this type of sector, very colorful cabin (but shame about the broken seat back net). Not sure how ET makes money on those tag flights if the loads you experienced are representative.

Out of curiosity, how did the fare you paid compare to the average fare for the route?

One of the 2 Freebird Airbii

I'm due to fly one in a couple of months...

Now let's find a bench to sleep on in the F terminal

Ouch! The conclusion of my last airport bench 'sleeping' experience was along the lines of 'never again'... How did it turn out for you?

Regards
BrusselsSouth

sultanils
Topic Author

Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:25 am

Quoting ams747757 (Reply 10):
An enjoyable read!

Hey ams747757, thanks for stopping by.

I really like the cabin on ET's 787... you're right the colors are quite nice, and something different from the usual drab grays and blues many airlines have. Legroom looks decent too.

Seeing the cabin immediately put a smile on my face   And the seat amenities and seating comfort were good too so no complaints there!

What a great way to experience the Dreamliner on a fairly short flight thanks to 5th freedom!

Yeah - hurrah for 5th freedom as this gives us a.netters the possibility to experience a not so common airline on their own territory.

Quoting ManchesterMAN (Reply 11):

I regret reading this report as that's another load of money Ill have to spend to take this trip now, thanks

Lol, I’m so sorry!

Quoting ManchesterMAN (Reply 11):
Seriously though, great report and I am now working out the best way of doing it one weekend.

Thanks, I’m glad I could be of inspiration and I’m curious to hear your own experience.

Quoting BrusselsSouth (Reply 12):
Hi Nils, Good to see you scored another intra-European 787, on an 'exotic' airline for that matter, and thanks for this nice report.

Hey F, thanks and good to hear from you again.

The Ethiopian Dreamliner experience looks decent for this type of sector, very colorful cabin (but shame about the broken seat back net). Not sure how ET makes money on those tag flights if the loads you experienced are representative.

It was all decent enough yes and indeed it does make you wonder what ET’s strategy is behind this flight. Perhaps on other days the load are better?

Out of curiosity, how did the fare you paid compare to the average fare for the route?

A one way is always ‘more expensive’ than a return but let’s say I paid an affordable price for this, less than € 100.

I'm due to fly one in a couple of months...

Interesting. I’d like to read about your experience  

How did it turn out for you?

Quite good actually, I had my sleeping bag with me, my earplugs and I could lay down fully flat on a cushiony surface, almost like in my own bed. Not many airports have this type of facility though  

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

PlaneHunter

Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:46 pm

Hi Nils,

great report with good pictures as usual! Excellent idea to try ET on that route - and what a nice surprise that you got the Dreamliner, much better than the 767 IMO. I may have a look at that route, too, as I'm not keen on trying ET on a long-haul flight.

Too bad I didn't know you were at VIE on that day!

I was quite happy to learn that for a dedicated period of time Ethiopian decided to deploy their B787 iso the other foreseen equipment. A most welcome upgrade for this flight for sure!

Yes, I can only agree. It looks fresh, so different from the usual grey/blue/brown.

My seat for this almost 2h hop, window last row as usual. A blanket and pillow are provided for each passenger.

Last row looks fine here.

Recline seems to be industry standard. For me it makes more of a difference when the seat next to you is unoccupied in terms of seating comfort.

I can only agree.

Not only for trip reporting purposes but also because it's rather chilly in the cabin.

Ah, I hate overheated or chilly cabins.

The fleet info page.

There's no Boeing 777-200LRF - just 777-F.  

Cheap materials selected by ET?

And I think this page isn't updated for a long time. How long ago is it since they only had 4 B787's?

2 years, 6 months...

Good to hear.

Quoting sultanils (Reply 9):
Me neither but I doubt if all the fleet info on this page is correct Ask PH

They do indeed have two frames.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © András Mihalik

PH

[Edited 2015-04-11 07:47:53]
Nothing's worse than flying the same reg twice!

CaptainRed

Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:26 pm

Hi Nils,

another great report here from you. Good idea to taste the Ethiopian 787 this way, and it seems you had a nice flight with them. I really like the colorful cabin.

Yes, a hot meal would have been great of course, but this sandwich does indeed look good. Was it some special bread? And nice that you got a second one.

Ouch, that's indeed sad. After all the plane is still quite new.

Greetings
CaptainRed

sultanils
Topic Author

Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:05 pm

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 14):
Hi Nils,

great report with good pictures as usual!

PH, how good to hear from you, thanks for commenting and glad you liked my story.

Excellent idea to try ET on that route - and what a nice surprise that you got the Dreamliner, much better than the 767 IMO.

I had my eye on that route for a long time. I would’ve prefered the B757 tbh but must admit I wasn’t mourning over it when I learned their 787 would be the aircraft operating the route  

as I'm not keen on trying ET on a long-haul flight.

Why not, I bet it’s not too bad? Or would you rather avoid ADD as a connection point?

Too bad I didn't know you were at VIE on that day!

Yeah - too bad, we could’ve meet up. But then again, I was quite tired after a long day of flying so I wanted to sleep right away - which I did 

It looks fresh

Indeed, a smile came on my face!

Last row looks fine here.

I did my research and saw no issues in selecting this seat. Also for longhaul it wouldn’t be a problem since the lavatory is behind the corner.

Ah, I hate overheated or chilly cabins.

Me too, but quickly solved with a blanket  

Or passenergs with little respect who put their feet against it?

2 years, 6 months...

Definitely time for an update then!

They do indeed have two frames.

I knew I could count on you to verify that 

Quoting CaptainRed (Reply 15):
Hi Nils,

another great report here from you.

Hello Cpt, thanks a lot!

Good idea to taste the Ethiopian 787 this way, and it seems you had a nice flight with them. I really like the colorful cabin.

Me too, no complaints with ET and no problem to take them on a longer flight too. Except maybe for connecting in ADD?

but this sandwich does indeed look good. Was it some special bread?

It was a special bread, yes, but I can’t remember which one...

Ouch, that's indeed sad. After all the plane is still quite new.

Yeah - I hope they rectify this at the next service or maintenance!

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

pokfur

Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:09 am

Hey Nils!!

Nice TR! I didn't know that this route existed! Actually... not that I know much about Ethiopian Airlines to begin with    The 787 has some very nice looking interior indeed, other than the green colour scheme (I hate green!) but I guess overall it's done nicely and with good contrast with yellow.

Lol! Looks like a giant version of those old-school kitchen scales used for weighing flour or something..

My seat for this almost 2h hop, window last row as usual.

Why is that your favourite?

And lo and behold, where's that dreaded IFE box

Wow! There isn't one?? The IFE system has identical screens and moving map to what's offered on QR therefore I assume they're from the same manufacturer? Yet QR's 787 have giant IFE boxes!!   

I'm having my doubts though whether the Interstellar movie would look stellar on this tiny screen...

Tiny?? You haven't been on BA's 747s man..

Overall it looks like they did the job well enough and gave you a nice alternative to the usual airlines that ply the route.    Thanks for posting!

pokfur

The777Man

Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:56 pm

Hi Nils !

Thanks for another great report with great pictures !

Very good to see you try out ET's 787 especially since I probably will fly it later this year. Planning on going all the way back from HRE to via ADD and DUB to LAX.

It looks nice; similar to the 77L that I flew on but more cramped as expected on a 787....

Legroom is quite good and the seat itself is of the forward sliding recline type. The footrest I always find a bit of a nuisance. And lo and behold, where's that dreaded IFE box  

Great that legroom is good. I guess no IFE box ? That's very good news !

That's too bad.

Quoting sultanils (Reply 7):
Is there a big ethopian dispora in Stockholm?

I haven’t a clue. Maybe one of the locals here can tell?

Yes, many people from Ethiopia in Sweden. Probably not enough to fill a 787 every day. Im sure it's full certain times of the year.

Don't blame ET; it's a 787 after all; everything on board has a cheap feel.

Very much looking forward to your next report!

The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

PlaneHunter

Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:01 pm

Quoting sultanils (Reply 16):
Why not, I bet it’s not too bad? Or would you rather avoid ADD as a connection point?

First fo all, I'm not keen on the 3-3-3 configuration on the 787 in general as it feels more cramped than 3-4-3 on the 777. And I'm not convinced of ET's J Class product even though I have seen good deals.

Yeah - too bad, we could’ve meet up. But then again, I was quite tired after a long day of flying so I wanted to sleep right away - which I did

Or passenergs with little respect who put their feet against it?

Possibly.

Quoting The777Man (Reply 18):

I would never blame the 787 for that - it's a seat pocket net, probably one of dozens variants available.

PH
Nothing's worse than flying the same reg twice!

sultanils
Topic Author

Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:53 am

Quoting pokfur (Reply 17):
Hey Nils!!

Nice TR!

Hello pokfur, good to hear from you!

I didn't know that this route existed!

I’m glad I was able to update your knowledge  

The 787 has some very nice looking interior indeed, other than the green colour scheme (I hate green!) but I guess overall it's done nicely and with good contrast with yellow.

The mean green machine! Hey come on, green is nice, it’s a primary colour of mother nature! And I think it makes the cabin of this one look really bright and attractive, African style.

Looks like a giant version of those old-school kitchen scales used for weighing flour or something..

Indeed. It does however portray kind of a stereotype as well about Africa.

Why is that your favourite?

Unobstructed views of the whole cabin inside and of the landscape down below through the window.

Wow! There isn't one??

I looked and looked, but nope...

Tiny?? You haven't been on BA's 747s man..

No I haven’t but I’ve seen pics of it. Those screens are indeed even tinier. I was refering to this particular movie in fact as this one only comes to its full right on a grand screen in a movie theater and not on any planes monitor.

Hi Nils !

Thanks for another great report with great pictures !

Hey Lars, thanks a lot.

Very good to see you try out ET's 787 especially since I probably will fly it later this year. Planning on going all the way back from HRE to via ADD and DUB to LAX.

I heard about that route, it’s a new one, isn’t it? Quite a long one. I hope you will enjoy ET!

It looks nice; similar to the 77L that I flew on but more cramped as expected on a 787....

Yeah - it’s nice but I wouldn’t say the 787 is more cramped than the 777 ‘as expected’  

I guess no IFE box ? That's very good news !

As far as I looked properly: no IFE box indeed.

That's too bad.

A shame really as this bird is not even a year old. Also the upholstery of several seats was coming loose 

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 19):
First fo all, I'm not keen on the 3-3-3 configuration on the 787 in general as it feels more cramped than 3-4-3 on the 777. And I'm not convinced of ET's J Class product even though I have seen good deals.

I see. I walked through the J class cabin upon exiting the plane. Seems they more used red iso green colors. Can’t tell much about the product though, I’m sure you’re more knowledgeable on that  

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

invaders

Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:30 am

Great report as always. I'm thinking about flying the very same route in july for a short trip to VIE.

O

The777Man

Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:15 am

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 19):

I would never blame the 787 for that - it's a seat pocket net, probably one of dozens variants available.

Perhaps not the net of the seat pocket is Boeing's fault but the 787's interior seems very cheap to me; lots of plastic and does not give a great impression like most other aircraft.

Quoting sultanils (Reply 20):
I heard about that route, it’s a new one, isn’t it? Quite a long one. I hope you will enjoy ET!

The route starts in mid-June. I hope it's okay and that the flights isn't so full.

Quoting sultanils (Reply 20):
Yeah - it’s nice but I wouldn’t say the 787 is more cramped than the 777 ‘as expected’  

You were lucky when you flew the 787. A full 787 is VERY cramped sideways. You are literally rubbing elbows with the person next to you. This makes it very uncomfortable for me and I avoid 787s on long flights at all cost if the flight is expected to be full. Even if the legroom is good, the lack of space sideways makes it very cramped "as expected". 3-3-3 on a 787 is more cramped than 3-4-3 on a 777.

Looking forward to your next report.

The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

sultanils
Topic Author

Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:13 pm

Quoting Invaders (Reply 21):
Great report as always.

Hello Invaders, thanks for ‘invading’ onto my report, glad you liked it.

Quoting Invaders (Reply 21):
I'm thinking about flying the very same route in july for a short trip to VIE.

Please do so. Although I think you will rather fly the 767 or 757 on that occasion.

Quoting The777Man (Reply 22):
A full 787 is VERY cramped sideways.

I can’t tell, never experienced that type with a full load.

Quoting The777Man (Reply 22):
This makes it very uncomfortable for me

Seating comfort is mostly a personal issue methinks. What some may declare uncomfortable, others may find OK or anything in between.

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

ILoveFigures

Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:50 pm

The other language on the safety video is Amhara, the official language of Ethiopia  

sultanils
Topic Author

Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:50 am

Quoting ILoveFigures (Reply 24):
The other language on the safety video is Amhara, the official language of Ethiopia

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

infodesk

Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:57 pm

Hi Nils,

You are rapidly becoming the King of the 5th freedom flights! Congrats on adding this nice one to your log as well.

I like it!

There's a bit of confusion when I show my national Belgian ID card - which is perfectly adequate for travel between ARN and VIE - as the gate agent asks me for a 'real passport' In the end it's all perfectly fine but I feel the staff should know about this.

So it seems that not many passengers use this route just as far as VIE. I like the "real passport", as opposed to a fake one  

I'm all for some colour in the cabin, but I honestly find it too much of a mish-mash, especially the green pillows that are a different shade to the seats. Ok, I'm being picky I know!

I anticipated a hot meal for this sector - like Air China does on BCN-VIE - but no, a chicken sandwich and drink(s) of choice it is. The sandwich is tasty though and a second one is given without a problem.

Shame about that, I too would have expected something more.

Hope the night on the bench in VIE wasn't too uncomfortable  

Happy flying
Infodesk   
"Do nothing in haste, look well to each step and from the beginning think what may be the end" - Edward Whymper

LTU932

Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:21 pm

Nice trip report, just one question: Pardon the ignorance, but why did you have to go through exit immigration when you were travelling between two Schengen countries?
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

sultanils
Topic Author

Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:25 am

Quoting infodesk (Reply 26):
Hi Nils,

You are rapidly becoming the King of the 5th freedom flights! Congrats on adding this nice one to your log as well.

Am I? Lol, I’ll wear that title with pride then   

I like it!

Cool, ain’t it? It does however portray Africa in a stereotypic way methinks.

So it seems that not many passengers use this route just as far as VIE.

No, not many but as for the passport issue, *apparently Swedish nationals are not allowed to travel abroad with their national ID card, they need to have a passport. So I guess this is the reason why she expected a ‘real’ passport.

especially the green pillows that are a different shade to the seats. Ok, I'm being picky I know

True to that, the greens not much. But me, being a guy, I don’t mind  

Shame about that, I too would have expected something more.

It was a bit disappointing really since I could’ve done well with a hot meal prior to my night ‘on the bench’ at VIE  

Hope the night on the bench in VIE wasn't too uncomfortable

It wasn’t! I was prepared and brought my sleeping bag and ear plugs. Also, VIE has these lay down benches in terminal F, perfect for sleeping. Saved me € 125 on the airport hotel!

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 27):
Nice trip report

Thanks LTU932!

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 27):
Pardon the ignorance, but why did you have to go through exit immigration when you were travelling between two Schengen countries?

See above *  

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

LTU932

Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:20 am

Quoting sultanils (Reply 28):
No, not many but as for the passport issue, *apparently Swedish nationals are not allowed to travel abroad with their national ID card, they need to have a passport.

Weird. According to German law, travel within the Schengen area as well as the rest of the EU is permitted with just the ID card. I guess Swedish law is much different though I would have thought that for EU travel (especially with the occasional checks when crossing the land border with Finland and through the bridge with Denmark), it would be the same as in Germany. In retrospect, I do understand the exit immigration now, because the flight was continuing on from VIE to ADD.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

sultanils
Topic Author

Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:06 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 29):
I do understand the exit immigration now, because the flight was continuing on from VIE to ADD.

Indeed and from what I've heard it will be changed soon that Swedish nationals can use their national ID card as well for travel abroad. Also under Belgian law it is permitted to use your national ID card for travel within Schengen, hence I showed it to the agent, which after consulting her colleague, she was fine with as it should  

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

gabrielchew

Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:50 pm

I didn't realised that they operated through to VIE - is that a new connection from ARN? Did they used to stop somewhere else before? And didn't ARN used to be a 737? Quite a step up to a 787. Anyway, thanks for posting Nils!

Individual air vents are present too.

Nice to see these on a longhual bird
http://my.flightmemory.com/shefgab Upcoming flights: AMS-RIX-BUD-VDA,ETH-TLV-FCO-LHR,STN-TXL-LCY,LTN-CPH-LTN,LGW-SZG,MUC-LHR

sultanils
Topic Author

Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:06 am

Quoting gabrielchew (Reply 31):
I didn't realised that they operated through to VIE - is that a new connection from ARN?

This route is ‘in the air’ for quite a few years now. You’d rather know than me lol!

And didn't ARN used to be a 737?

A 767/757 combo normally. I can’t recall it ever been a 737...

Nice to see these on a longhual bird

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

jwhite9185

Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:00 pm

Hi Nils, nice read as ever. Shame I couldn't see a lot of the pics due to the dodgy WiFi in the hotel I'm in - but I got the idea! I was looking at flying ET down to South Africa about now actually, but those plans got slightly changed. Good that you had a spare seat next to you - I must agree they're always welcome on any flight.

Look forward to reading more soon!

sultanils
Topic Author

Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:47 am

Quoting jwhite9185 (Reply 33):
Hi Nils, nice read as ever.

Thanks J, good to hear you enjoyed the report.

but those plans got slightly changed.

Let me guess, you booked BA 

Good that you had a spare seat next to you - I must agree they're always welcome on any flight.

They are indeed, certainly on longhaul.

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

SCQ83

Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:19 pm

Interesting, I didn't know about this 5th freedom.

Well you see... if you need to fly from BCN to ARN, you can always do it with Air China and Ethiopian via VIE.  

Is there any list of 5th freedom routes in Europe updated somewhere (here, Wikipedia, etc.)?

sultanils
Topic Author

Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:48 pm

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 35):
Interesting, I didn't know about this 5th freedom.

Hey SCQ83, glad I could inform you  

Well you see... if you need to fly from BCN to ARN, you can always do it with Air China and Ethiopian via VIE.

Yeah, amongst others...

Is there any list of 5th freedom routes in Europe updated somewhere (here, Wikipedia, etc.)?

There used to be a list here on a.net but this changes almost daily. Airlineroute.net is a good source of information for this.

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

emek96

Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:26 pm

Hi Nils!

Another nice report, ET looks like quite an interesting airline, and the ARN-VIE route is a nice possibility for Europeans to log this carrier without going all the way down to Africa.
Also nice that you got the 787, but I would have preferred the 757 as well as it is quite a rare bird here in Europe nowadays while the 787 is present everywhere.

However, the 3/3/3 configuration looks really tight, especially shoulder space seems to be limited, compared to a 777 with a 3/3/3 configuration that must be horrible.
The service looks nice as well, even though I would have expected a full meal as well, but the sandwich you got looks tasty.

greetings
Elias
Lufthansa is the best airline in the world!

sultanils
Topic Author

Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:34 am

Quoting emek96 (Reply 37):
Hi Nils!

Hello Elias, how are you?

Another nice report, ET looks like quite an interesting airline, and the ARN-VIE route is a nice possibility for Europeans to log this carrier without going all the way down to Africa.

Thanks! Yeah - who doesn’t love a good 5th freedom flight  

but I would have preferred the 757

Or a 767 would’ve been nice as well, I haven’t flown those for a very long time.

However, the 3/3/3 configuration looks really tight

No issues on this flight as I had the whole row to myself. I also can’t imagine it being tight. Would have to experience it on a fuller flight one day maybe?

The service looks nice as well

The service was just OK - nothing more or less, the crew could’ve been a bit more communicative though.

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.