Taking The Green Bird To Shakaland

Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:35 pm

Kulula.Com

Johannesburg Lanseria to King Shaka Durban

Boeing 737-800 NEW SKY INTERIOR

https://www.airliners.net/uf/193753/1430341415hKq8ZT.jpg

Okay, so HALLO a.netters!

This is my first trip report and boy did I struggle  

A little bit of history... I discovered airliners.net in 2007 and have read every trip report since, however, I only became a first class member today. Yeah!
This is my little trial trip report about my trip last October, so I can get the proper feedback for my visit to Durban again at the end of May. I will then be travelling business class with SAA's brand new airbus a320 with the newly launched premium cabin. I can't wait!!   

So here I go... I hope that one day I will be able to post as well as the Sam Chui's, Airpearl's and Ronerone's of the airliner world, but I travel economy most of the time!

Every year, as part of Mrs. mh330fc package, we get to leave our three daughters with my mother in law and fly of to the sunny coast of Durban, more specific, King Shaka Airport. We then spend four nights in Umhlanga Pearls which is absolutely fantastic! Looking back at the pictures, they just can't describe the actual feeling of looking over the beautiful ocean and absorbing the energizing vibe.

When we arrived at the airport, I secured exit seats.

Okay and here's the legroom shots!

Mrs. mh330fc

Pearls Umhlanga

Beautiful Durban beach front in the back. Aaahhh....

Some aerie spotting...

My bird home

Front row seats.. Smiling all the way home.

In Conclusion..

Kulula is a great airline. They are the only airline in South Africa to operate the new sky interior Boeing 737s. The crew is always friendly, food is good, wine and cheese is absolutely fantastic, space is good even when you don't have the bulkhead seats or exit seats. They fly on time and best of all, they are inexpensive.

Thank you for sharing in my trip!

dcajet

RE: Taking The Green Bird To Shakaland

Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:43 pm

Congratulations on your first report - well worth the struggle. Well done!

Very nice 737-800 Sky interiors shots. Is Kulula owned by Comair?

Regards,
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

mh330fc
Topic Author

Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:56 am

Thanks dcajet!

Yes, Comair ownes British Airways (our local copy) as well as Kulula, so actually when booking, the site allows you to book on both BA and Kulula.

mh330fc
Topic Author

Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:11 am

I forgot to post the video but here it is!   

video

And in case the link don't work, here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpKXGrTeE-I

whitelight44

Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:51 am

Excellent TR, thanks. Very awesome pictures. Well done  

mh330fc
Topic Author

Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:57 am

Many thanks whitelight44!

invaders

Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:21 am

Thank you for a good report. The front seats did not look all that comfortable, compared to for example DY's new 738s

O

mh330fc
Topic Author

Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:40 am

Most welcome Invaders!
It is SUCH an exhilarating experience to have my first report!
I'm constantly checking what's happening  

I was seated on the right hand side and had a bit more legroom than the passengers on the left.
The seat itself was comfortable and legroom gracious. The only problem I had was that since all three first row seats were occupied, I was seated directly next to the window and since I'm 6"2, had to do a bit of contorting to look out of the window as the windows only reach shoulder length.

The exit seat on my flight from Lanseria to King Shaka Airport was actually more comfortable. I imagined that I was flying intra-European business class as my wife took the isle seat. The guy seated on the right hand side next to the exit seat actually moved across so that we all had more space. (Very nice of him!)

invaders

Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:06 am

Quoting mh330fc (Reply 7):

Well I've always fancied reading reports but I'm too lazy to write em. I do however enjoy reading reports of 738s and compare the product with SK and DY   The exit-seats does indeed look very good, hopefully I'm able to fly down to South Africa one day

All the best

ams747757

Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:09 pm

Wow, great pictures and what a neat looking bird! As whimsical as it is, I sort of like the lime green. Nice change from the usual Eurowhite boringness! Great report!

mh330fc
Topic Author

Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:56 pm

Thanks ams747757!
The colour looks even better in the clouds. Kulula now has a standard colour scheme which they launched with their brand new sky interior planes. I must say, as far as LCC carriers are concerned, FlyDubai is still my favourite.

lychemsa

Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:26 pm

Very fun video and interesting.

I think your mother thinks you are nuts.

mh330fc
Topic Author

Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:09 pm

Thanks lychemsa!

It's actually my wife but I'm thrilled that you think I'm that young!   and yes I'm a bit nuts!!

Womack17

Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:57 pm

Welcome to First-Class (membership)! I really enjoyed your first trip report as I always love the personal details which make reading a more personal experience.

Even though I must say I have to disagree with you and ams - I find the plane's color to be abysmal, but I am not a fan of pea-soup green on anything, especially my aircraft  

I did like the interior very much.

Photos of the airport itself are always enlightening. How was the food and service? Was the meal BOB or free?

Again thanks and welcome aboard!

-Womack17
Oh how I miss Midway Airlines. A class act right to then end.

ElanusNotatus

Fri May 01, 2015 1:42 am

Hi mh330fc, welcome to the forum and congratulations on posting your first trip report.

Quoting mh330fc (Thread starter):
. I hope that one day I will be able to post as well as the Sam Chui's, Airpearl's and Ronerone's of the airliner world, but I travel economy most of the time!

It doesn't matter what class you fly, it is the things that go into making the report that matter. Things like what the airport exoerience was like, onboard service, crew interaction and so can all add to the "feel" of a report. But perhaps the greatest ingredient can be enthusiasm.

I have only ever flown one domestic sector within South Africa ( it was with South African on an A343 between CPT and JNB) so I was interested to see what Kulula have on offer. Gaining the exit row seat certainly was a bonus as the extra space allowed you to stretch out a bit.

Quoting mh330fc (Thread starter):
wine and cheese is absolutely fantastic

Hey, you've won me.  

Thanks for sharing.
Crawl, walk, fly into the future

mh330fc
Topic Author

Fri May 01, 2015 5:09 am

Hi Womach17!

Thank you very much for the feedback!
I must say, when Kulula first came the the market around 1997/1998, I hated the airline and the colour. It was low-cost and competed with Nationwide. At that time I despised LCC. To me, they represented everything I don't like about the changing airline industry. No legroom, no inflight service, no luxury, no entertainment. Basically a bus that fly and bring you from point A to B. I love the glory days of flying like PanAM and it's rich history, SQ with their Singapore Girls, BA with old British style and Emirates with their A310-300s and A300s trying very hard to beat the European carriers.

BUT...

Over the years, I realized that some LCC try very hard. They offer good food, acceptable pitch for short hall, good service and they actually allow you to decide for yourself what you would like to eat. So no more cheap, plastic and skimpy food as with some "all inclusive" airlines.

I used to go to Lanseria Airport just for some fun viewing as they were actually a private airport that catered for private flights. When Kulula started flying commercially from Lanseria, everything changed and it became a buzzing, convenient and super exciting airport. This changed my mind about Kulula. When SAA decided it will use tax payers money and steal some of the LCC market by introducing Mango, I realized Kulula now had to deal with unfair competition and they became the underdog. I warmed up to them. Later on, Mango decided they too will fly from Lanseria. This quaint airport now had green and orange jets. I was furious! I flew Kulula for the first time earlier last year and they surprised me with their brand new sky-interior planes, excellent wine and cheese, comfortable seats and very friendly service. I was completely won over!

So as far as colour goes, green beat orange to me!

But I must agree, professional colours and design is way more classy.

Again, thank you for the constructive feedback. I will most definitely keep it in mind for my trip later in May.

Cherio  

mh330fc
Topic Author

Fri May 01, 2015 5:24 am

Thanks for your reply ElanusNotatus or Australian black shouldered kite! (cool name)

I realized many details are missing in this report. I'm so glad for the feedback. The camera will be snapping as soon as I leave home this time   hopefully not too akwardly!

lesfalls

Mon May 04, 2015 9:06 pm

Great TR   . How safe is South Africa?
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen mehr.

frostyj

Tue May 05, 2015 4:36 am

Thank you for giving us this unique trip report. I love the interior carpet and the plane paint!
[url=http://m.maploco.com/details/5f34zxvq][img]http://www.maploco.com/vmap/s/8395334.png[/img][/url]

mh330fc
Topic Author

Tue May 05, 2015 10:03 am

Hi lesfalls!

South Africa is actually very safe for foreigners. All the main attractions like malls, museums and parks are secure during daytime.
Yes, single females shouldn't walk the city streets at night, but then again, neither can you safely walk certain streets of Miami after dark.
The Game Farms are exceptionally safe and well controlled. Even the cheaper ones. Kruger park and the roads leading to it is also very safe.
Almost all the beaches are safe as far as crime is concerned. Durban beachfront during the night time should be avoided, there are other awesome beaches like Umhlanga that are perfectly safe to stroll even at night.

Johannesburg Central should be avoided during the night-time. Government began a whole city upliftment programme for JHB central.
This caused major businesses to again return the CBD and the area is policed better than most areas now in order to regain confidence in the inner city.

Overall I think Trip Advisor will give you a good indication of hotel ratings.

Remember, the crimes you hear about on television are mostly related to miner strikes, protestors and crime in the suburbs.
The change of you encountering the above mentioned is quite limited  

Regards

Hilmar

mh330fc
Topic Author

Tue May 05, 2015 10:06 am

Hi Frostyj! The paint becomes almost fluorescent if the sun hits it!