Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

sultanils
Topic Author

Jetairflies From Antwerp: ANR-MXP

Fri May 15, 2015 5:47 am

Hi fellow aviators and welcome to another short style trip report!

Introduction

The Belgian charter and leisure flights company Jetairfly recently started operations from Antwerp airport. Destinations include TXL, BCN, MXP, AGP, PMI and ALC. Together with VLM Airlines (GVA, SOU and HAM) and CityJet (LCY), the amount of daily flights in and out of Antwerp has increased with more than 200% - iirc the biggest growth Antwerp has seen in its existence. A major downside of this however is that they’re already overhauling the free parking area at the airport - one of the main strong points of the airport - making it a paying one. Another strong point is the short check-in deadline: 20 mins before departure is enough.

Anyway, as soon as the flights were bookable on the Jetairfly website I was able to snatch a cheap € 29 ticket to MXP, increased with a whopping € 15 booking fee, totaling € 44 for a one way flight to MXP, which in total is good value. To get home on the same day I was able to book an even cheaper ticket in SN’s Check&Go class, € 37 to be exact.

I’m all set for the journey, let’s see what the route is like on the map (thanks to Great Circle Mapper, copyright Karl L Schwartz).

As customary I take the public bus from my home town to the airport. I checked in online yesterday and am assigned seat 13A (with no possibilty to change it), which later appears to be an exit row seat.

ANR

However, as I like to sit further in the back of the cabin I enquire at checkin for another window seat. Sadly, all window seats are already taken, the flight is sold out today as well which is most likely due to the fact that the World Expo 2015, held in Milan this year, starts today. Oh well, no problem, I'll stick with this seat then  
It's a 10" walk to security and already a few minutes later I'm airside, where the pax from the inbound BCN flight are busy disembarking. The small waiting area fills up quickly and 15 mins before STD, we are invited to board the aircraft - via a nice long walk over the apron   

ANR to MXP
JAF 5855
Embraer 190 OO-JEM 'Explorer'
STD-STA 11:40-13:10
seat 13A

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Fabrizio Capenti - Malpensa Spotters Group

On board flight JAF 5855

I enter the aircraft via the front stairs, the purser provides a warm welcome just as the lovely Jetairfly lady standing near my seat 13A. I settle in, legroom is excellent and information about how to use the exit ICE is prominently present. I’m once more reminded about it by the FA. In total there are 3 FA’s onboard. They provide a warm welcome in 3 languages through the PA, as does the captain. Boarding takes its sweet time and the doors are closed 10 mins after SDT. No problem though, runway 11 is around the corner and in no time we are airborne for the 1h20 journey to MXP.

Once cruising, the crew passes through the cabin for the onboard service which is BOB style. There’s a modest number of items for sale but prices are reasonable. I decide to go for a cup of tea - an generous one - and a pain au chocolat, total amount € 3,5. Too bad the pain au chocolat is a small and prepacked one  thumbsdown 

Outside there’s nothing to see except white clouds for almost the whole duration of the flight with light to sometimes moderate turbulence at times. Then it’s time to descend and also the captain informs us of this in 3, no 4 languages - a flash of basic Italian included!

We land 5 mins late on runway 35L in a dreary Milan and taxi to a finger gate position at Schengen terminal, which is most convenient for my connecting flight back home. Disembarking is swift and 5 minutes after stepping off the plane, I’m back in the departures area relaxing.

Conclusion

Kudos to Jetairfly for having the balls to launch 6 new flights from ANR in such a short period of time. Clearly the operation until now is a succesful one, not only was the flight full but also the offered onboard service is of a very good standard. ANR has a few advantages over BRU, for ex the short checkin times and virtually no walking distances, too bad the free parking will be history in the next months to come. I have another flight with them scheduled, from BCN to ANR in a few weeks, so let's see then if the quality is consistent!

Here you can find the full flight report in video version.

Sultanils

[Edited 2015-05-14 22:49:09]
In thrust we trust.

ElanusNotatus

RE: Jetairflies From Antwerp: ANR-MXP

Fri May 15, 2015 6:35 am

Hi Nils,
Another report struck off the list, xx more to go.  

Quoting sultanils (Thread starter):
via a nice long walk over the apron

A definite bonus of smaller airports. All those Fokker 50 s lined up look somehow familiar. I wonder why?

Kudos to Jetairfly for having the balls to launch 6 new flights from ANR

Good to see and hopefully they remain viable, which can only mean good news to ANR, even if the price is the loss of free parking.

I enjoyed watching the video. Keep up the good work.

EN
Crawl, walk, fly into the future

lesfalls

Fri May 15, 2015 1:45 pm

Wish I could watch but in school(secretly using iPad  )  .
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.

The777Man

Fri May 15, 2015 6:23 pm

Hi Nils !

Nice to see you tried another local carrier!

I'm not a fan at all of your short style report. Much prefer the ones with pictures rather than a link to a video report. I guess I'm old fashioned.....

Looking forward to a normal style report soon!

The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

lesfalls

Fri May 15, 2015 8:57 pm

Hey Nils  

Great TR  . How was MXP? Did you lose your luggage there(I lost mine twice but just asking  )? What was the load for the flight? Is there really do much demand out of ANR? Anyways it was a great movie and thank you for posting  . Till next time Nils  .
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.

sultanils
Topic Author

Sat May 16, 2015 5:39 am

Quoting ElanusNotatus (Reply 1):

Hi Nils,
Another report struck off the list, xx more to go.

Hi EN, thanks for stopping by again, much appreciated  

All those Fokker 50 s lined up look somehow familiar. I wonder why?

You wonder why lol! And you were there when most of them were in service  

Good to see and hopefully they remain viable, which can only mean good news to ANR, even if the price is the loss of free parking.

They will remain viable for sure, but maybe not in ANR. I’ll enjoy it while it lasts 

Quoting The777Man (Reply 3):
Hi Nils !

Hi Lars!

Nice to see you tried another local carrier!

Thanks, it was an appreciated experience.

I'm not a fan at all of your short style report.

No problem, don’t feel obliged to read/reply. I still have a lot to process but I won’t post anymore for the time being. Also no photo reports planned for now.

Quoting lesfalls (Reply 4):
Hey Nils

Hey lesfalls, thanks for your comments.

Great TR

Thanks again, glad you enjoyed.

How was MXP? Did you lose your luggage there(I lost mine twice but just asking

MXP was cool, retro, Italian   I didn’t lose my luggage because I didn’t travel with any - hardly do  

What was the load for the flight?

Full house!

Is there really do much demand out of ANR?

Not really but it seems Jetairlfy makes it work somehow. As mentioned, the flight was probably full because the World Expo 2015 in Milan started on the day I flew.

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

FLIEGER67

Sat May 16, 2015 9:08 pm

Hi, N.,
well done, good to see a short, brief view into ANR and also Jetairfly´s new services.
Sounds like a good one. Wonder how they will continue with TUI´s
latest enhancement to bring all the airlines under one brand and also management.
Greetings,
FLIEGER67
Tripreporter.net

sultanils
Topic Author

Mon May 18, 2015 11:45 am

Quoting FLIEGER67 (Reply 6):
Hi, N.,
well done, good to see a short, brief view into ANR and also Jetairfly´s new services.

Hello M, thanks for reading and leaving a comment, glad you enjoyed!

Quoting FLIEGER67 (Reply 6):
Wonder how they will continue with TUI´s
latest enhancement to bring all the airlines under one brand and also management.

Indeed a good question. As long as the service remains this way, I’ll have no complaints  

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

PlaneHunter

Sat May 23, 2015 5:49 am

Hi Nils,

interesting report, good to get an impression of Jetairfly's E190. Wouldn't mind to try it one day, but I'd prefer larger equipment.

PH
Nothing's worse than flying the same reg twice!

sultanils
Topic Author

Sun May 24, 2015 6:05 am

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 8):
Hi Nils,

interesting report

Thanks for stopping by PH!

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 8):
I'd prefer larger equipment.

Ha ha, I know you do  

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

OA260

Sun May 24, 2015 4:32 pm

Hey Nils  

Another nice video report. Love those E Jets and forgot they had them ! Not bad fares either.

Always with expansion at airports some of the nice little perks often go but Im sure it will be more than balanced by the amount of choice you now have  

Regards

Philip  

jwhite9185

Mon May 25, 2015 8:34 pm

Hi there Nils - surprising to think as ANR being busy. When I flew into there last year it was more or less a ghost town! Still, handy for the locals I guess.

Always struck me as odd how a charter carrier went for the E-Jet but I guess if they stick to the smaller airports it would make perfect sense.

sultanils
Topic Author

Tue May 26, 2015 2:05 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 10):
Hey Nils

Hi again Phil, tnx for replying once more!

Another nice video report. Love those E Jets and forgot they had them ! Not bad fares either.

Thanks. Yeah the E-Jets of Jetairfly, maybe a not too obvious choice but definitely a roomy and pleasant airplane to fly in, also in this charter config which in imho doesn’t differ from a normal config.

Always with expansion at airports some of the nice little perks often go

True words. For me personally a no-issue because I can easily get there by public transport.

Quoting jwhite9185 (Reply 11):
Hi there Nils - surprising to think as ANR being busy.

Hello J. ANR hasn’t been this busy in a decade or so, very happy to see this.

When I flew into there last year it was more or less a ghost town!

The city itself or the airport  

Always struck me as odd how a charter carrier went for the E-Jet but I guess if they stick to the smaller airports it would make perfect sense.

It makes sense indeed. Choosing this plane for a charter isn’t an obvious choice but Jetairfly makes it work.

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

airbuseric

Tue May 26, 2015 2:41 pm

Hi Nils,

I see you made a report again, and Jetair from ANR sounds interesting.

I'm not a fan at all of your short style report. Much prefer the ones with pictures rather than a link to a video report. I guess I'm old fashioned.....

No 777Man, you're not old fashioned. Same here, not my cup of tea also and I prefer reports with pictures.

Nils, good for ANR to see some new routes. Gives you some interesting choices to fullfill your passion for flying  

Regards
Eric
"The whole world steps aside for the man who knows where he is going"

sultanils
Topic Author

Thu May 28, 2015 5:35 am

Quoting airbuseric (Reply 13):
Hi Nils,

I see you made a report again

Hello Eric, well spotted  

Jetair from ANR sounds interesting

Glad you found it interesting   

No 777Man, you're not old fashioned. Same here, not my cup of tea also and I prefer reports with pictures.

Each his own I guess  

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

BZNPilot

Sat May 30, 2015 1:24 pm

Hi Nils,

Hope all is well, and thanks for another good report. I like the video format!

Together with VLM Airlines (GVA, SOU and HAM) and CityJet (LCY), the amount of daily flights in and out of Antwerp has increased with more than 200% - iirc the biggest growth Antwerp has seen in its existence.

Interesting that ANR has seen such a huge increase in flights lately. I've wanted to try CityJet to LCY for a long time now, but it's nice to hear that there are now more options too. Of course, ANR is not so convenient for me living in Brussels (and also not having a car), but I still hope to try ANR some time soon. Maybe I'll start looking for a day trip out of ANR to destination X, with a return then to BRU.

Kudos to Jetairfly for having the balls to launch 6 new flights from ANR in such a short period of time.

Pretty ballsy indeed. Hope it works out well for Jetairfly.

I especially liked in your video that you could see the incoming plane land at ANR. I love that about small(er) airports. It seems to me that the actual aviation is so much more visible at airports like this. I was recently about to fly out of my home airport of BZN on a Horizon/Alaska flight to Seattle, and was able to watch the inbound aircraft land. Was cool to stand at the fence and see it landing not too far away. I like airports that have that sort of small-field feeling, which ANR seems to have.

All the best, and looking forward to your future reports as always.

BZNPilot

sultanils
Topic Author

Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:32 pm

Quoting BZNPilot (Reply 15):
Hi Nils

Hello BZNPilot, so good to hear from you again!

Hope all is well, and thanks for another good report. I like the video format!

All is well, tnx for asking. Glad you liked the report and video format!

ANR is not so convenient for me living in Brussels

It’s only 40 km away and the train is quite convenient. There’s nothing there to hold you back 

Maybe I'll start looking for a day trip out of ANR to destination X, with a return then to BRU.

That’s what I mostly do too. Start and stop in ANR is rather difficult but with Jetairfly now and also VLM it it worth to try and make the puzzle  

Hope it works out well for Jetairfly.

Me too. Still have to fly their other destinations ex-ANR too!

I like airports that have that sort of small-field feeling, which ANR seems to have.

Me too, not only are they very relaxed but also you get to absorb everything more I feel.

All the best, and looking forward to your future reports as always.

Thanks and the same for you - hope to read a story soon from you again.

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

roberts87

Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:54 pm

Hello Nils,

Thanks for this quick report. The new operation from Jetairlfy at Antwerp for sure is interesting, let's hope they succeed. Looking forward to hearing if the flight to BCN is good as well!

sultanils
Topic Author

Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:25 am

Quoting roberts87 (Reply 17):
Hello Nils

Hi Robert, how are you?

Thanks for this quick report.

No problem  

The new operation from Jetairlfy at Antwerp for sure is interesting, let's hope they succeed. Looking forward to hearing if the flight to BCN is good as well!

It is interesting indeed and a well needed boost for ANR. The BCN flight is next week - coming from the a.net meet. Video will be up in one of the coming months, but most likely only on my YT channel and not here.

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.