Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

rta
Topic Author

My First 787 Flight: AA ORD-DFW (+738 To MIA)

Mon May 18, 2015 12:00 am

Preface:

I haven't flown on a 787 before but I was going to later this year on British Airways. However, BA's 787 schedule did not really fit with mine so I had book on a 777. Originally, this trip would've been from MDW-FLL on Southwest, but when I realized I could instead fly the 787, I just had to do it. So thats how I got to ORD-DFW-MIA.

This is going to my first time on a 787, my first time at DFW, and my first trip report! A first for many things.

Starting today from Chicago. Looks like the Sears Tower is hiding in the clouds. Hopefully the weather clears up by the time I get to my flight   

CTA station at O'Hare. I think it drops you off in the basement. I'm not sure exactly if it is above or below ground level. But once you get out..

You are greeted with a bunch of flags that are sister cities of Chicago. It also includes the year they became sister cities.

Ah yes, terminal 3. I went upstairs to the ticketing area and checked my bag in. I wasn't sure how to apply the baggage tag (it was self-tag) but one of the ticketing agents helped me   

The rebranding is pretty much complete before security at T3, but this is still here. I really like it! Hopefully they won't change that.

Right after security, you are greeted with this. Hmm... the flags are very straight indeed.    I continue to walk down and realize that Concourse L isn't in this area, so I turn back around.   

There we go! I'm not really a fan of Terminal 3 to begin with, but concourse L is pretty far from everything else. So that's not helping.

Some of AA's operations at O'Hare.

Feels like stepping into a different decade at Concourse L. Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating  

Tiny engines!   

Found an Alaska jet! Not really sure if thats the new or old livery. They recently updated it with some minor changes.
I was getting closer to L10, the designated 788 gate... until

There she is! N800AN, AA's first 788 delivered in January 2015 - looking even better in person.   

Unfortunately Chicago weather (and my camera) was not really cooperating so that is as good as a shot as I was able to get. Fortunately though, the gate gives a good view of the plane. A lot of people were taking pictures at the gate.

Everyone was really excited about the plane. An AA crew spent at least 10 minutes just taking pictures. I don't blame them, I would too! But I was so jealous. I wish I could've had an engine shot. Maybe one day..   

From L10, there's also a pretty good shot of Terminal 5, which is the international terminal. Perhaps my most favorite plane, a 77W! It looks great in JAL's livery. A few OW partners (JAL and AirBerlin, I think) deplanes pax at Terminal 5 and board pax at Terminal 3. AA does this too. The reason is, Terminal 5 has Immigration and Customs and Terminal 3 has easy transfers. I'm not sure why BA doesn't do this either.

On its way to Terminal 3.

A tulip!! I didn't know any of these were still flying around, even if they are just regional jets.   

[Edited 2015-05-17 17:16:38]

[Edited 2015-05-17 17:18:54]

rta
Topic Author

RE: My First 787 Flight: AA ORD-DFW (+738 To MIA)

Mon May 18, 2015 12:01 am

Flight 1:

In my experience, AA boarding is quite chaotic. This time was no different, but perhaps even worse as there was no divider for Priority and Main Boarding. So everyone (First, Priority AAccess, Groups 1-5) crowded around entry way. It was very difficult to move around and people were trying to board at the wrong time. I don't blame the people because honestly its not really clear. And people were saying they couldn't hear the gate agent's announcements (neither could I). I really like United's boarding layout.

The FA was greeting people at the door and letting us know how to get to our seat. She also told me lay the suitcase on my side when I put in the overhead bin. Of course, I knew that already from a.net  
Boarding

Green exit signs?? Well apparently it is ISO standard, which would explain the same green signs I saw at Heathrow. Maybe its only me, but nothing is more clear as a red sign that says "EXIT" in big letters. I might be biased though (growing up in North America, this is pretty much the only type of exit signs I've seen).    I've seen some pics of UA 787s and they have the 'regular' exit signs spelled in red letters.

Note the markings on the door are also green

Row 23 ABC. Pretty good legroom. The seats were also very comfortable. I was little disappointed with the window placement in my row. Made taking some pictures a little difficult.

But at least it wasn't this row! If you like sitting in the inner seat without a window (à la the last row of an MD80), then pick row 26. Also notice the huge windows!

That legroom!   

Now I'm back in my seat   The plane was ready to push back, and the safety video was played. It is the same one they've had, but it was modified to reflect the 787. I also remember at some point on the IFE it showed the green exit signs I was talking about earlier and put it "equal" with an equals sign to "EXIT" in red letters. Why not just put the red exit signs to begin with??   

Pushed back from L10

Preflight stuff

Taxiing to the runway. Also note the AA transfer bus.

Lined up. The engines are now spooling up.

And we're off!

Liftoff! We have liftoff
It felt like we did not even leave the ground. It was a very smooth takeoff!

After I finished taking some pictures out the window, I noticed the lighting had changed to some kind of purplish color. (it was a bit more purple before this photo)

And it finally settled on orange.

Cruise.

Time to turn on the best IFE: the in flight map! There was also some other good stuff like movies, TV shows, and games. I tried a racing game and used the controller that was in the seat. It was somewhat fun but pretty basic.

The main thing I didn't like about the moving map was it did not have markers for different regions. So I didn't really know where exactly I was flying over. At least, I would've liked seeing city names. I wasn't able to figure out how to turn on any of these, if such a feature exists.

Also the guy in front of me reclined his seat all the way back (which is fine with me) but I couldn't see the screen! It was giving me a headache trying to look at it. BA's screens (at least the old ones) swivel out, so it's not really an issue. I'm not sure if I'd want to take a long haul flight with a screen like this.   

Beverage service started soon after. I decided to get a Coke Zero. Interestingly, on my first Dreamliner flight, I got a can that says "Dreamer"   

Cruising comfortably at 40,000 ft.   

Getting near DFW at this point.

As the captain announced our descent and turned on the fasten seat belt signs, the cabin returned to a pretty blue color.

It looks really murky down there!

Flaps 30. Just kidding, I have no idea about the flap settings.   

Practically hovering over the runway at this point.

And we're down!

Taxiing to the gate.

Some last minute cabin shots. I waited for everyone to deplane and asked a FA if I could have a look at the cockpit. He happily told me that it shouldn't be a problem, and that I should go up front to see if the pilots were still there.

Passing through business.

Here we are. There was quite a few of us who wanted to check out the cockpit. I really enjoyed talking to them about it.

The way I was standing didn't allow me to capture perfectly through it. but the left side has a little bit of it.

Now I needed to leave because the FAs were wanting to go. They were all standing near the door and I graciously thanked them for staying behind a few minutes so I could have a look up front!

Some last pictures of N800AN. The view from the gate wasn't as good as I hoped it would be. Farewell! I hope to be able to fly on you again (or any other AA 787)   .... maybe. I'm still not sure about how I feel about not being able to see the screen properly.

[Edited 2015-05-17 17:12:14]

rta
Topic Author

Mon May 18, 2015 12:03 am

Since I always use the self service machines or a mobile boarding pass, I never have gotten AA cardstock boarding pass. I decided I wanted one (originally tried to get one at ORD, but was forced to use self service machine), so I decided to ask a gate agent to print one for me.

Pretty cool!

She directed me to the SkyLink so I could get to my gate  

Stairway to heaven or SkyLink?  

Definitely SkyLink. But the views from here (more to come) are heavenly.

Yep folks, we're in AA country now.

Glorious MD80.

I wasn't really thinking that I would pass the 787 again on the SkyLink, so I didn't have the camera ready. But of course, I got off at the next stop, took the return train, and had my camera ready to pass the 787 again.

Quoting rta (Thread starter):
The view from the gate wasn't as good as I hoped it would be.

Whoa never mind!  flamed 

Some more pics.

A bunch of MD80s around here!

Two old liveries, one new one.

More AA country.

Decided to get off at the SkyLink to just look around my gate. Nothing too special. I definitely wanted to get back on the train, so I did.

Waiting for the train.

Qantas' A380!

At this point I realized, DFW is HUGE!! I guess everything really is bigger in Texas.  

I was really considering if I had made the mistake to get back on the train, in fear of missing my flight.

But anyway, back to the cool views.   

DL ops at DFW. Seems like they have that whole building to themselves? Also, I wonder how you get to it.

Even more AA planes.
At this point, there was an announcement stating there was debris on the track and the train would be indefinitely delayed. Now I was really concerned about missing my flight so I decided to hop on the opposite direction train.

Cool, an empty train all to myself.

*few moments later*
Wait. This is the delayed train. Whoops.

I ran back to the other side. There were so many people on this one and it was completely packed. But at least I had made it on.   

Please hold on, this train is departing

Wait. I wasn't holding on to anything.    And there was nothing to hold onto where I was standing. (These trains can be pretty fast, actually - not sure if I mentioned that earlier). I ended up leaning on the door a little. I definitely felt some of the air seeping through the crack of the door.. in hindsight, it probably wasn't a good idea. But it helped me steady my camera, so that was good.

Never noticed how short the 737-700 looked. (That is a 737-700, right?    )

Finally back at the D gates. After this, I ate a sandwich at Báhn Mi. It was sooooo good!
At this point I had about 20 minutes until boarding, so I thought I'd look around a bit.

A 763 heading to Miami a little after my flight on the 738. In hindsight, I wish I had booked that flight. Haven't been on a 767 in a long time.

By the time I got back to my gate, it seems like most of the passengers had boarded and groups 4 and 5 were left. Oops. So much for Group 1, haha.

[Edited 2015-05-17 17:14:07]

[Edited 2015-05-17 17:16:00]

[Edited 2015-05-17 17:20:16]

[Edited 2015-05-17 17:37:56]

rta
Topic Author

Mon May 18, 2015 12:03 am

Flight 2:

Here is N903AN, a 738 delivered to AA in 1999.

Boarding.

Parked next to N773AN, a 772 in 1999 as well.

Um, is that a chip in the flap? That doesn’t look too normal.   

AA has refurbished their 737s somewhat recently, so it’s pretty nice. Not as nice as their new ones with the Sky Interior (I’ve luckily been on those a few times), but not too bad either.

I think thats the Lufthansa jet that I saw earlier. Departing before us.

We’re lined up now!

Climbing out of DFW.

Você fala Português?  

Sure enough, it said “Coca Cola Brasil” on the back. Honestly, it tasted a bit different from the one I had earlier. I’m not sure if I’m just imagining that since it was Brazilian-made.

'

Cruising over the Gulf Of Mexico.

Somehow I managed looking back and found this pretty view! Had to take a picture. (I know, this report is getting way too long!)

Getting quite dark in the cabin now.

On top of the Everglades as we approach MIA. It’s all pretty much swampland.

At last, civilization!

Approaching MIA.

Also just a small warning, but the pictures get pretty horrendous after this point. My camera isn’t really that good, and the darkness is pretty much putting my camera on its knees.

Lol, I definitely was not joking.
But we’re now landed in MIA.

Taxiing to the gate.

And we’re here!

[Edited 2015-05-17 17:10:45]

[Edited 2015-05-17 17:21:46]

[Edited 2015-05-17 17:26:51]

rta
Topic Author

Mon May 18, 2015 12:04 am

Never actually been here at MIA. I usually fly out of FLL for domestic flights. And I pretty much exclusively take British Airways internationally. So, yeah. This is new for me

Time to find the baggage claim.

Following the signs to the baggage, I need to take these TWO huge escalators. Not something I’ve had to do at FLL.

Whoa, a train to the baggage claim?

In the train.

I got off at the baggage claim stop and had the chance to take this picture of MIA.

More escalators?? So far I’m at 3 escalators right now. But who’s keeping count?

Another escalator. Okay, I admit… I might be keeping count. So we’re at 4. Well, I should be at my bag soon.

OKAY WHAT THE HECK?! ANOTHER ONE??

Well fortunately, that was the last one. Wow, now I remember why I fly in/out of FLL.

Saw this in the car as we left MIA. I managed to get my camera out fast enough to take a picture. Still pretty bad (I should probably get a real camera    ) but at least we know what kind of plane it is. (Wait, do we? Is it a 772 or 77W?)

Well, thanks for reading my report if you made it this far! I wasn’t expecting it to get this long but hopefully you guys enjoyed it. Having never done a TR before, I actually had no idea this would take so long. I had quite a bit of fun writing it out though, but still, it really took a while so I’m not sure how often I’ll be doing this. But let me know if all liked it! If you guys liked it, I may have to do it for my next trips   Thanks again.

[Edited 2015-05-17 17:27:49]

rta
Topic Author

Mon May 18, 2015 12:24 am

Apologies for the formatting. Some words are right after the picture (not on the next line where they should be) but I'm too lazy to fix it.

[Edited 2015-05-17 17:27:22]

777dfw

Mon May 18, 2015 3:37 am

As I was reading this TR I felt like something seemed familiar... Then I realized I was on this flight! I was on the Inaugural to ORD and must have flown back with you on AA2334. I'll be posting my report soon also!

rta
Topic Author

Mon May 18, 2015 3:40 am

Hey, actually the flight was from yesterday. I just realized the mobile boarding pass didn't have the date listed. Oops.
But that's really interesting if it felt like the one back last week! It means I didn't miss too much then  Wink

[Edited 2015-05-17 20:41:31]

lychemsa

Mon May 18, 2015 6:52 am

It's so nice to fly on a new plane; any whether a 787, 777 or 737-900 or whatever.

XAM2175

Mon May 18, 2015 2:03 pm

Green exit signs?? Well apparently it is ISO standard, which would explain the same green signs I saw at Heathrow. Maybe its only me, but nothing is more clear as a red sign that says "EXIT" in big letters. I might be biased though (growing up in North America, this is pretty much the only type of exit signs I've seen).    I've seen some pics of UA 787s and they have the 'regular' exit signs spelled in red letters.

Boeing have been making a concerted effort to eliminate at least some of the thousands of different different configuration options that complicate their manufacturing process and exit signage is one of the areas they've decided to push for one standard on... by finally implementing the ISO standard most of the world's building code authorities implemented years ago :p Airbus have been offering ISO-type signs for a while now too.
I'd actually thought that Boeing were taking a no-deviations line on this so it surprises me to hear UA got them with the old FAA style.
Anyway ISO-style exit signs, or at least signs using green rather than red, are currently mandated for new building installations in the EU (including the rather-contrarian UK), Switzerland, Russia, Australia, New Zealand, China and it's SARs, Israel, Taiwan, Japan, Brazil, and a bunch of other places. Including Baltimore, Portland OR, Salt Lake City, New York City, and Los Angeles   I understand Canada will be adopting the ISO type nation-wide quite soon too.

I also remember at some point on the IFE it showed the green exit signs I was talking about earlier and put it "equal" with an equals sign to "EXIT" in red letters.

To make the change Boeing applied for and received an Equivalent Level of Safety Determination from the FAA, a condition of which was the incorporation of that statement into the safety briefings.

Quoting rta (Reply 2):
I never have gotten AA cardstock boarding pass. I decided I wanted one (originally tried to get one at ORD, but was forced to use self service machine), so I decided to ask a gate agent to print one for me.

That's pretty cool. Never seen one like that before... obviously a leftover from the paper ticketing process, as the layout and heading "Passenger Ticket and Baggage Check" is straight out of the IATA paper ticket standard.

Quoting rta (Reply 2):
A 763 heading to Miami a little after my flight on the 738. In hindsight, I wish I had booked that flight. Haven't been on a 767 in a long time.

What, you didn't check the type operating every AA DFW-MIA flight that day and then book the most unusual type? Turn in you A.net membership card immediately! :p
I never pass up a flight on a 767, and I'm lead to believe they're getting harder to find on all but the most heavily-travelled domestics in the US?

Thanks for a great report - exploiting a new type on its proving runs is always good fun  

BasilFawlty

Mon May 18, 2015 4:07 pm

Green exit signs?? Well apparently it is ISO standard, which would explain the same green signs I saw at Heathrow. Maybe its only me, but nothing is more clear as a red sign that says "EXIT" in big letters. I might be biased though (growing up in North America, this is pretty much the only type of exit signs I've seen).

Jeremy Clarkson once explained brilliantly why in the US everything is written literally instead of using symbols like almost everywhere else in the world: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JJAKSuxgYU      
'Every year donkeys and mules kill more people than plane crashes'

lesfalls

Mon May 18, 2015 5:05 pm

Great TR  . Was their any drink service on the second flight? What was the load for the best flight? Anyways great TR and till your next TR  .
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.

rta
Topic Author

Mon May 18, 2015 8:18 pm

Quoting lychemsa (Reply 8):
It's so nice to fly on a new plane; any whether a 787, 777 or 737-900 or whatever.

Definitely! I love being able to ride on new planes. Interestingly, the newest planes I've flown on (as far as I know) have all been with AA!

Quoting XAM2175 (Reply 9):
Boeing have been making a concerted effort to eliminate at least some of the thousands of different different configuration options that complicate their manufacturing process and exit signage is one of the areas they've decided to push for one standard on... by finally implementing the ISO standard most of the world's building code authorities implemented years ago :p Airbus have been offering ISO-type signs for a while now too.
I'd actually thought that Boeing were taking a no-deviations line on this so it surprises me to hear UA got them with the old FAA style.
Anyway ISO-style exit signs, or at least signs using green rather than red, are currently mandated for new building installations in the EU (including the rather-contrarian UK), Switzerland, Russia, Australia, New Zealand, China and it's SARs, Israel, Taiwan, Japan, Brazil, and a bunch of other places. Including Baltimore, Portland OR, Salt Lake City, New York City, and Los Angeles   I understand Canada will be adopting the ISO type nation-wide quite soon too.

Thats really neat! It'll definitely be weird to see them in buildings here in the States. I'll miss the red exit signs.

To make the change Boeing applied for and received an Equivalent Level of Safety Determination from the FAA, a condition of which was the incorporation of that statement into the safety briefings.

Ah that would explain it! Also very interesting, thanks for sharing  
That's pretty cool. Never seen one like that before... obviously a leftover from the paper ticketing process, as the layout and heading "Passenger Ticket and Baggage Check" is straight out of the IATA paper ticket standard.

It seems like you know a lot about these different standards   I thought it was some leftover paper too but I still these ones all the time in many places. I figured by now they would have switched to a more modern one (disregarding the receipt-paper one), so I question if they have even tried changing it yet.

What, you didn't check the type operating every AA DFW-MIA flight that day and then book the most unusual type? Turn in you A.net membership card immediately! :p
I never pass up a flight on a 767, and I'm lead to believe they're getting harder to find on all but the most heavily-travelled domestics in the US?

Actually I did see when I was booking but I thought I'd get very bored at DFW (not true) and be super tired by the end of the day (somewhat true), so I decided it would be better to take the earlier flight. But now that I think about it, an hour difference would've been quite negligible. I guess I wasn't really thinking when I booked the second leg, because I was too excited about the 787.

Fortunately, between Chicago and Miami, 763s are very common. Sometimes you'll get a 772 on the route as well. And if I connect through Dallas, I could also catch a 763 that way. I think that was primarily why I didn't book it, since there are plenty of opportunities for me domestically.

Thanks for a great report - exploiting a new type on its proving runs is always good fun  

Thanks! It was definitely a lot of fun.

Quoting BasilFawlty (Reply 10):
Jeremy Clarkson once explained brilliantly why in the US everything is written literally instead of using symbols like almost everywhere else in the world: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JJAKSuxgYU      

I've noticed this too when looking at keyboards from N.A. vs keyboards from Europe. I understand his point, that not everyone speaks English, but I think it is exaggerated. I would think "Exit" would be a pretty generic word though, the same way stop signs in many places of the world say "Stop".

My main gripe about these new signs are ... I'm not really sure what it is trying to say the first time I look at it. If I showed the sign to any of my friends, they would have no idea what it is trying to symbolize. I think you would have to know beforehand that it was an exit sign. I'm not particularly bothered about having a universal exit sign (although, diversity is pretty nice), but I'm not sure if the green man running is the best thing to use. But like I said, I'm naturally pretty biased about this. Look at some of the pics I posted from MIA, all red spelled out signs!   

Quoting lesfalls (Reply 11):

Great TR  . Was their any drink service on the second flight? What was the load for the best flight? Anyways great TR and till your next TR  .

Thanks! Yeah, the second flight had a drink service. That's where I got my Brazilian made Coke Zero  
I'm not so sure what the load was on the 787 flight, but in my cabin (rear economy) about two seats were empty per row. I'm not really surprised given the high frequency of ORD-DFW flights!

Ytraveller

Mon May 18, 2015 11:31 pm

Hi rta,

Great first TR with nice commentary! That first pic you took of the AA 788 is just    , and so are the window views with that swept up wing. The pic of the sunset is amazing as well!

I liked spotting pics at DFW also. The new AA livery has really grown on me, but I still love the shine on those chrome MD80s. Also, I'll be connecting through DFW this summer so thanks for the little tour  

It was nice to read a TR from someone else around my age. And I hope you write a TR for your upcoming BA trip!
- Ytraveller  

rta
Topic Author

Tue May 19, 2015 1:15 am

Hey Ytraveller,

I'm really glad you liked the trip report! The picture doesn't do the 788 any justice, you really have to see it in person! Hopefully you'll be able to when you pass through DFW in the summer. DFW is a really cool airport actually, and perhaps one of my favorite airports (that I've been to) in the U.S. To be honest, I never really liked the old AA livery to begin with, but its been starting to grow on me. At the same time, I also really like the new one.

I'm definitely considering writing up my next trip (the one with a segment on BA). It's a bit of a roundabout routing, but I think it should be a pretty fun writeup if I go through with it.  

WNCrew

Tue May 19, 2015 1:27 am

Quoting rta (Reply 12):
My main gripe about these new signs are ... I'm not really sure what it is trying to say the first time I look at it. If I showed the sign to any of my friends, they would have no idea what it is trying to symbolize. I think you would have to know beforehand that it was an exit sign. I'm not particularly bothered about having a universal exit sign (although, diversity is pretty nice), but I'm not sure if the green man running is the best thing to use. But like I said, I'm naturally pretty biased about this. Look at some of the pics I posted from MIA, all red spelled out signs!

The assumption many people have "that EXIT is universal" is actually the reverse. The universal thing is that RED means STOP! Why have all of our exits signs always been in RED?... because it's highly visible even when unlit, but now with the change in technology and ability to make things more visible, it only makes sense to make the EXIT green... you want people to GO. That is what's universal.

SeatBelt signs have undergone a design change as well. The arrow indicating "buckle" is now green. It means "Yes, move th buckle in this direction of the green arrow into the buckle" vs the old signs which showed a red arrow.

In the end.. GREEN means "GO / YES / OPEN " and RED is a universal warning to "STOP / NO / BAD" etc..
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

rta
Topic Author

Tue May 19, 2015 2:23 am

I understand your point perfectly especially when compared to a traffic light (although about the seat belt sign, I don't think it would matter what color the arrow is). However while I do think its purely a matter of perspective (To be honest, I'm more likely to pay attention and see something that is written in red), I'm willing to accept that red might not be the most ideal color. That being said, I still think the pictogram is too vague especially when introducing it to a place not accustomed to it.

In the same way road signs are unique to different regions, I'm not sure how bad it would have been to keep the current North American exit signs (at least it was standard in this region, but now we will have two different types), or at least write the word "Exit" on the green pictograms.

XAM2175

Thu May 21, 2015 3:49 am

Quoting rta (Reply 12):
It seems like you know a lot about these different standards   I thought it was some leftover paper too but I still these ones all the time in many places. I figured by now they would have switched to a more modern one (disregarding the receipt-paper one), so I question if they have even tried changing it yet.

Haha cheers. Some of it is professional requirement, the rest casual interest :p

I'm really surprised to see that AA still have that stock in circulation - seeing as IATA consigned paper ticketing to the junk pile in 2008. I've even seen AA boarding cards from the '80s that were computer printed but on specific boarding pass stock. But yes, the format is for the most part unchanged since the '50s even if the way the writing gets to be on it is a bit different  https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5337/17892490626_2d2c5dd3ed_c.jpg

Quoting rta (Reply 12):
Fortunately, between Chicago and Miami, 763s are very common. Sometimes you'll get a 772 on the route as well. And if I connect through Dallas, I could also catch a 763 that way. I think that was primarily why I didn't book it, since there are plenty of opportunities for me domestically.

Oh that's not so bad then. Reading a lot of posts here gives the impression that all domestic travel in the US nowadays regardless of sector length (other than the odd positioning flight) is spent either in a CRJ or a middle seat in the last row of a 737 or A320 :p

Quoting rta (Reply 12):
My main gripe about these new signs are ... I'm not really sure what it is trying to say the first time I look at it. If I showed the sign to any of my friends, they would have no idea what it is trying to symbolize.

I get that. It's happened here to an extent too, but we've had an additional phase of change to get through in that although we also had red "EXIT" signs here, they were changed over in the '70s for "EXIT" signs on green. Now with the change to the ISO figure, people are at least used to green signs. And of course the ISO signs are going into the same places as the older signs, so the purpose is obvious. Naturally it's a gradual transition anyway - I used to work in a theatre that was built in 1936 and heritage listed in 1997. It was originally built with no exit signs in the foyers and other public areas, and with 12V illuminated signs in the auditorium that comprised of black "EXIT" on a red background. Because of the heritage listing, those red signs are allowed to remain in place for aesthetic reasons, but the rest of the foyers had green "EXIT" signs installed. As those fittings failed, they were replaced on an as-needed basis with new ones showing the ISO figure. Looked a bit but they'll eventually all break and get changed :p

Oh, I forgot to mention before: the modern-architecture fan in me is loving the shots of T3 at ORD 

ElanusNotatus

Thu May 21, 2015 3:57 am

Hi rta,

Enjoyed reading your trip report with all the photos, including the "flying kangaroo" resting up.

Great that you were able to get some cockpit views. Something I like to do when I can.  

Thanks for sharing,
EN

[Edited 2015-05-20 20:57:42]
Crawl, walk, fly into the future

rta
Topic Author

Sat May 23, 2015 3:07 am

Quoting XAM2175 (Reply 17):
Haha cheers. Some of it is professional requirement, the rest casual interest :p

I'm really surprised to see that AA still have that stock in circulation - seeing as IATA consigned paper ticketing to the junk pile in 2008. I've even seen AA boarding cards from the '80s that were computer printed but on specific boarding pass stock. But yes, the format is for the most part unchanged since the '50s even if the way the writing gets to be on it is a bit different  

Its definitely a bit interesting! I didn't know they dated back that old, but I knew they were definitely old, which is primarily why I wanted one.

Oh that's not so bad then. Reading a lot of posts here gives the impression that all domestic travel in the US nowadays regardless of sector length (other than the odd positioning flight) is spent either in a CRJ or a middle seat in the last row of a 737 or A320 :p

There's a lot of truth in US domestic flying mostly being in a 737/A320/CRJ. I think CRJs are really common in small towns or in places with high frequencies. I think you'll also find them when an airline flies to a competitor's hub. That being said, I've never been on a CRJ. Most of my flying is on a 737, but A320s are also popular. If you fly Delta, finding a 757 or MD80/90 is extremely easy.

As for widebodies, they are definitely more rare but there are a few regularly scheduled ones on 767s, 777s, and 787s. They are mostly hub to hub though. MIA-LAX (772), MIA-DFW (763), MIA-ORD (763), EWR-ORD (763), IAH-SFO (787) and IAH-DEN (787) come to mind.

This thread has some other good ones:
2015: North America Domestic Widebodies? (by Max752 Jan 6 2015 in Civil Aviation)

This 787 flight was probably my first domestic widebody flight in as long as I can remember, to be honest. But UA is moving 10 772s to the domestic network once they get their 77Ws, so I'm looking forward to that.

I get that. It's happened here to an extent too, but we've had an additional phase of change to get through in that although we also had red "EXIT" signs here, they were changed over in the '70s for "EXIT" signs on green. Now with the change to the ISO figure, people are at least used to green signs. And of course the ISO signs are going into the same places as the older signs, so the purpose is obvious. Naturally it's a gradual transition anyway - I used to work in a theatre that was built in 1936 and heritage listed in 1997. It was originally built with no exit signs in the foyers and other public areas, and with 12V illuminated signs in the auditorium that comprised of black "EXIT" on a red background. Because of the heritage listing, those red signs are allowed to remain in place for aesthetic reasons, but the rest of the foyers had green "EXIT" signs installed. As those fittings failed, they were replaced on an as-needed basis with new ones showing the ISO figure. Looked a bit but they'll eventually all break and get changed :p

The green spelled out "EXIT" signs are starting to become a thing here now. Red is predominant, but you may also see green. But I've never seen the pictogram ones here yet. But you're right, it'll be a gradual transition. And I can imagine, old buildings must look really funny with the newer ISO figure.

Oh, I forgot to mention before: the modern-architecture fan in me is loving the shots of T3 at ORD 

What did you particularly like about it? To be honest, I thought it was probably one of the worse Terminals I've been to. At least, I think Terminal 1 at ORD is much better. I'm personally a fan of the dinosaur skeleton they have there!  
Quoting ElanusNotatus (Reply 18):

Hi rta,

Enjoyed reading your trip report with all the photos, including the "flying kangaroo" resting up.

Hi EN! I'm glad you enjoyed reading the report. I definitely enjoyed seeing the QF bird too! The only other time I've seen them in real life were at Heathrow, but even then, I was not so close to it.

Quoting ElanusNotatus (Reply 18):
Great that you were able to get some cockpit views. Something I like to do when I can.  

Definitely! In fact, the crew were more than happy to show us around. I think everyone was really excited about the plane  

kann123air

Sat May 23, 2015 4:34 am

Hi rta, great report, I love the detail! Reading this got me even more excited for my DFW-ORD hop on the AA 788 next month!  
Going for great

rta
Topic Author

Sun May 24, 2015 3:41 am

Quoting kann123air (Reply 20):
Hi rta, great report, I love the detail! Reading this got me even more excited for my DFW-ORD hop on the AA 788 next month!  

Hey, I'm glad you enjoyed reading the report!  
I noticed in the other thread you're heading up to Chicago on your London trip just to catch the 787. Hopefully you'll have enough time for a cockpit visit. Its definitely worth checking out.  

IAHflyer97

Sun May 24, 2015 3:45 am

Hey!

You made quick work of getting this one up! It's very good!

The 787 seems very comfortable IMO. I'm still waiting for UA to put one on IAH-IAD so I can snag one. Heck, I may just end up taking one out to DEN or LAX one day. But at the moment, got bigger fish to fry (cough 753)  

Glad you were able to get a few pics of the flight deck! Looks very modern and easy to work with. I'm sure the pilots love it!

The 738 ain't bad! Certainly better than an A320 (but not an A321). Especially if you're able to couch it! Looks like you and I got on similarly aged 738's. Same interior and all!

Hope you're able to fly a lot more soon! And may those trips be on the widest of bodies!
A man is only as big as the amount of strings on his guitar.

rta
Topic Author

Sun May 24, 2015 4:02 am

Quoting IAHflyer97 (Reply 22):

Hey!

You made quick work of getting this one up! It's very good!

Hey, thank you!   I'm glad you were able to take a look at it. And yeah, I think I was really excited about the 787 which is why I wanted to get the report out as soon as I could. Plus, now I'm free (Yay summer) so I had the time  
The 787 seems very comfortable IMO. I'm still waiting for UA to put one on IAH-IAD so I can snag one. Heck, I may just end up taking one out to DEN or LAX one day. But at the moment, got bigger fish to fry (cough 753)  

The 787 was definitely very comfortable. When we took off, it did not even feel like we left the ground. And like I mentioned, the seats were super comfortable. And, I think I noticed the lower cabin pressurization but I'm not 100% about that. But in comparison, the 738 was pretty uncomfortable. I think I just got spoiled with the 787.  

I think it may be a while before a 787 goes IAH-IAD, since I don't think any 787 flights operate out of IAD. But hopefully they'll put it soon. I'm also hoping for UA to send some 787s to O'Hare. I would definitely recommend AA's 787 if you're not bound to United. And I have not been on a 753 yet, so that's on my bucket list too.

Glad you were able to get a few pics of the flight deck! Looks very modern and easy to work with. I'm sure the pilots love it!

Indeed! The pilots said their favorite feature was being able to manipulate the screens as desired so they could position the instruments as they wanted.

The 738 ain't bad! Certainly better than an A320 (but not an A321). Especially if you're able to couch it! Looks like you and I got on similarly aged 738's. Same interior and all!

Personally I love the way 737s look compared to A320/1 (too chubby, in my opinion) and in general I like Boeing interiors more. So a 738 would be my preference over an A320. But I agree, AA's 738s aren't too bad. I've been on their Sky Interior ones a few times (with AVOD) and they're very very comfortable! I always hope I get to fly on one of these.

Hope you're able to fly a lot more soon! And may those trips be on the widest of bodies!

Haha, thanks! I hope the same for you. I've definitely been checking out any weird routing I can find just to be able to fly on a domestic widebody flight. But I'm taking a few flights next month and I'm hoping to put a report out for that  

hekk

Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:44 pm

This is a great TR with some good pictures. The 787 looks like a really nice plane! That is great that you got to see the cockpit at the end of your flight!

N776AU

Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:13 am

I'm taking the first leg of this flight DFW-ORD in a few weeks. I'm looking very forward to it (and actually that's the reason I booked it). I figured it's the cheapest and easiest way to catch a 787.   
Careful, doors are closing, and will not reopen. Please wait for the next train.

rta
Topic Author

Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:39 am

Quoting Hekk (Reply 24):

This is a great TR with some good pictures. The 787 looks like a really nice plane! That is great that you got to see the cockpit at the end of your flight!

Thanks! The 787 has definitely spoiled flying a little bit for me  
Quoting N776AU (Reply 25):

I'm taking the first leg of this flight DFW-ORD in a few weeks. I'm looking very forward to it (and actually that's the reason I booked it). I figured it's the cheapest and easiest way to catch a 787.   

Hope you enjoy your flight. And yeah, its definitely one of the cheaper ways to be able to fly on the 787. United does some domestic operations as well, but I would've had to go a little bit more out of my way and spend more money to be able fly on it.

guitarsingapore

Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:29 am

The cabin is in a 3-3-3 configuration. Did you find the seats too cramped?

ams747757

Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:56 pm

Great report! Some excellent pictures of the Dreamliner. She looks quite nice in the new AA livery. Hope to catch a flight on her soon!

KPDX

Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:12 pm

Nice trip report! Really enjoyed the pictures.  
Quoting guitarsingapore (Reply 27):

I just flew my first 787. UAL with 3-3-3 config. It was slightly cramped in economy. But it was absolutely nothing as bad as you're making it. In fact, it was pretty much comparable with any other widebody in economy.

The UAL A320 I flew on right after was much more unbearable. I'm not sure if it was the person I was sitting next to, or what.

Instead of going on an internet crusade, launch your complaints to each and every airline that flies the 787, I guess..?

dfwjim1

Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:14 pm

Hi RTA,

Nice trip report! That 787 is something else and I wish AA flew them domestically to and from MIA as I live in South Florida.
Yes, MIA's AA terminal can be difficult to navigate in. The first time I used it I went right instead of left upon exiting the plane
ended walking to the far west end of terminal D. I then had to walk back to the escalators to get the train to the exit...LOL.

kann123air

Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:15 am

Hi RTA, I meant to answer a question of yours in my first post - there's an underground walkway that connects the island E gates (where the DL birds are in your shot) to the rest of terminal E. That little island actually has an intersting past; you can read about on DFW's wikipedia page under Terminal E.

Quoting rta (Reply 21):
I noticed in the other thread you're heading up to Chicago on your London trip just to catch the 787. Hopefully you'll have enough time for a cockpit visit. Its definitely worth checking out.  

I sure hope so! 

Amrit
Going for great

rta
Topic Author

Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:51 am

Quoting guitarsingapore (Reply 27):

Honestly, I didn't notice the seats being tight. I did notice, however, that they were very comfortable and for me that makes a bigger difference than the width. Maybe for a bigger person, it might have felt tight. That being said, my flight was only 2 hours long so I might have been saying something different on a longer flight.

Quoting ams747757 (Reply 28):
Great report! Some excellent pictures of the Dreamliner. She looks quite nice in the new AA livery. Hope to catch a flight on her soon!

Thank you! One of my favorite pictures is the 787 from the Skylink. It looks beautiful from above  
Quoting KPDX (Reply 29):
Nice trip report! Really enjoyed the pictures.  

Thank you  
Quoting KPDX (Reply 29):
I just flew my first 787. UAL with 3-3-3 config. It was slightly cramped in economy. But it was absolutely nothing as bad as you're making it. In fact, it was pretty much comparable with any other widebody in economy.

This was pretty much my experience. I didn't really notice anything different from any other widebody flight I've been on. But perhaps I'd need to fly on separate widebody flights back to back to really notice the difference. I should've really tried to fly on the 767.

Quoting KPDX (Reply 29):
The UAL A320 I flew on right after was much more unbearable. I'm not sure if it was the person I was sitting next to, or what.

That's funny because this was exactly my experience! The 737 flight right afterwards was so uncomfortable for some reason. I don't know why. I've flown on 737s (AA's too) so many times before, so I don't know what happened. I guess I got spoiled by the 787.

Quoting dfwjim1 (Reply 30):

Hi RTA,

Nice trip report!

Thank you!

That 787 is something else and I wish AA flew them domestically to and from MIA as I live in South Florida.

Cheers! I'm also in South Florida. I also hope MIA gets the 787 soon. I'm sure they will in due time. But seeing that the 77W doesn't fly domestically, I imagine it'll be a while before the 787 does. But then again, the final 787 fleet should be larger than the final 77W fleet, so we'll see. Right now I'm just really hoping AA can hurry up with their 772 retrofits.  
Yes, MIA's AA terminal can be difficult to navigate in. The first time I used it I went right instead of left upon exiting the plane
ended walking to the far west end of terminal D. I then had to walk back to the escalators to get the train to the exit...LOL.

Haha, funny enough I actually ended up walking the wrong way for a minute or two. I didn't make it as far as you did though   I think they should really have a visible "Way Out" sign. I know there's the baggage claim sign, but still...

Quoting kann123air (Reply 31):

Hi RTA, I meant to answer a question of yours in my first post - there's an underground walkway that connects the island E gates (where the DL birds are in your shot) to the rest of terminal E. That little island actually has an intersting past; you can read about on DFW's wikipedia page under Terminal E.

Hi amrit,
Thanks for answering that for me! I just looked it up on wiki. That's pretty interesting info  Smile

[Edited 2015-06-25 22:13:32]