Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ElanusNotatus
Topic Author

Suite Dreams Of Home: An Emirates A380 To Perth

Fri May 29, 2015 3:34 am

Concourse A, Dubai International Airport

The flight into Dubai had been pleasant. Alighting from the Boeing 777-300ER I made my way along the jet bridge and down to security. There were long lines though they were moving quickly enough. I was able to use the Fast Track card that Ibrahim and given me and was soon going down the stairs to the train station.

A two minute wait and a train arrives, the safety doors open to allow passengers to disembark and I can board the train. As it makes it makes its way to Concourse A, I reflect on where else I have used an underground railway to connect between terminals:London-Heathrow, Zürich, Madrid-Barajas …

Soon enough I am on my way through the shops and heading to the escalator that will take me up to the Emirates First Class Lounge. The receptionist confirms the gate as being A4 before I enter into the inevitable Duty Free shop. This, as can be imagined, is less crowded than the open access shopping area one level below. I don’t spend any time (or Dirhams) here.

Nor do I seek out the dining room or cigar lounge. Instead, I make my way straight to the area adjacent to the gate, noting different styles of furniture in discreet seating areas. In places, the ceiling is decorated with colourful balloons of glass.

Light bites and fresh fruit are on hand to stave off the possible risk of starvation. Staff are present to serve and a waiter comes to my table and asks if I would like anything to eat or drink.

I content myself with a bottle of Voss still water and catch up on my emails, using the free, password restricted access, Wi-Fi internet. It is peaceful in the Lounge as no announcements are made.

Flight departure times and gates are displayed at several locations. Note all the Qantas flights?  

Soon it is the advertised time for boarding. Going to the gate I see a rather bored looking staff member. Boarding of First passengers has not commenced but no explanation for the delay is offered. In the background a uniformed man from security is pacing. After about ten minutes another person turns up and he indicates that passengers can have their passports checked.

He is cheerful enough and now the previously bored woman at the gate is too as I am shown through to the lifts that go down to the jet bridge. But first the man from security has set up a table and wants to check everyone’s bags. This is a cursory check: “Have you any liquids?” A quick glance and I am on the way, down two levels in the lift and along the lengthy jet bridge.

===========================================================================

Does it rain in Paradise?

Flight: Emirates EK420
Aircraft Type: A380-861 Seat 2K
Aircraft ID: A6-EOG
Scheduled Departure: 02:55
Actual Departure: 02:55
Scheduled Arrival: 17:35
Actual Arrival: 16:58

Tonight’s flight will be operated by A6-EOG, delivered to Emirates on 5th March, 2015, having first flown with test rego F-WWAX on 6th October 2014. It is configured as F14 C76 Y401.

Welcome back, Mr Elanus. Let me show you the way to your suite.

On tonight’s flight, it is Teesha and Bobby who are looking after the forward cabin on the upper deck. Bobby takes my jacket while Teesha offers something to drink. Breaking with habit, I request a glass of champagne. I am shown the bottle of Dom Pérignon 2004 before a glass is poured.

The usual offerings of newspapers, magazines, eye shades, slippers, amenity kit and pyjamas follow, the latter items being placed in a woven carrier bag. Teesha also asks when I would like to be able to use the Shower Spa. I request a time one and a half hours after departure. Meanwhile the Captain welcomes everyone on board and tells us a bit about the flight. Further announcements follow:

02:50 “Ground personnel please leave the aircraft.”
02:54 “Cabin crew, close doors and cross-check.”
The cabin lights are dimmed in readiness for a night-time departure, “Please use the reading light above your seat if you wish to continue reading.”
02:55 push back and the safety video is showing. “Welcome aboard this Emirates Airbus A380”.
03:03 the Airbus begins its taxi but must hold position.
03:18 “Cabin crew prepare for take off.”
03:19 the aircraft enters the active runway and commences its roll. Moments later I can feel it begin to lift. For such a large aircraft it seems much less laboured or lumbering than the A343-300.

Once airborne, Antonio, the purser, comes by to introduce himself, bringing with him the wine list and menu. He asks if I would like something to drink before dinner. I tell him that I will simply have a shower and go to bed but ask for a night cap: some Hennessy Paradis.

I decline his offer of canapés or nuts. While waiting for the drink to be brought, the shot of the legroom is taken.

After a while, Teesha also comes offering something to eat or drink. I say that I will just finish the cognac and then would like to have a shower before bed.

OK. I will just check with my colleague to see if it is ready.” Sure enough it is and I am shown the way to the well-appointed spa, which is spotlessly clean. “Have you used it before?”

I mention having been on the inaugural A380 flight from Perth

“How exciting!” ... and the absence of water to the hand-basins.

“Oh no!” she exclaims. “How embarrassing. But did they bring bottled water?”

We turn a tap to check if the water is running to the hand basin on this flight. Success.  

Thoughtfully provided is a sturdy coat and trouser / skirt hanger, a storage cabinet with extra razors, toothbrushes, etc, and a hand-held hair dryer.

Plenty of cotton face cloths and Timeless Spa products are available, including shampoo, conditioner and shower gel.

The shower head is height adjustable and can be hand held. The water will not flow unless the door to the shower recess is fully closed with the latch. A gauge indicates how much water is remaining.

Warning lights will come on in the unlikely event of decompression or of needing to return to your seat. However there is a seat in the shower recess and a button for calling for assistance from one of the dedicated spa attendants.

The box from which oxygen masks will fall is just outside the shower recess.

And for those who lamented the absence of a shower-selfie on the last A380 flight …

The PJs are très chic, n’est-ce pas?  

As I leave the Shower Spa, the attendant asks if I would like it to be made available again before landing.

=========================================================================
Crawl, walk, fly into the future

ElanusNotatus
Topic Author

RE: Suite Dreams Of Home: An Emirates A380 To Perth

Fri May 29, 2015 3:40 am

Suite Dreams and Bon Appetit

On returning to the suite I find that the seat had been semi-reclined and covered with a mattress and a duvet is placed within easy reach. The reason for not being fully-reclined becomes clear. On the counter, a glass of water has been placed, together with a tray of fresh fruits. This is a pleasant surprise.

The seat in fully flat position is comfortable enough but the flight is rather bumpy as we pass to the south west of India and the Maldives. On rising, Bobby is on hand to offer breakfast. I tell him that I will skip breakfast and go straight to lunch.

“Ah yes, ready for Australian time,” he says. “How about some coffee or tea?”

While enjoying the coffee I study the wine list to see what to have with the main course that I fancy. Bobby asks whether he should bring the wine before the meal and I say it will be fine to pour it with the main course. Once the order is taken there is time to try a few more snaps.

The tablet remote for ICE allows you to view things either on the tablet or on the big screen as well. Under its stowage point are a call button, the controls for the table lamp and the individual window shade controls.

From within the suite it is difficult to get a good photo of the huge GP7270 engines. This issue is resolved a little later in the flight.

Soon the meal is ready and Bobby lays the table. The setting is made up with dinnerware by Royal Doulton fine bone china and cutlery Robert Welch.

To begin, some mushroom soup with chives. The bread basket includes some crisp garlic bread that goes perfectly with the soup.

For the main course I have selected Dukkah-crusted Lamb, roasted and served with cumin gravy, steamed vegetables and pan-fried polenta with walnuts. This is tasty enough but the lamb is a bit chewy. To accompany it is some Château Montiel 2004, Pomerol, pleasant enough, good but not stellar.

When the meal is cleared an offer of desserts or cheeses is made, which I decline and a hot towel is brought. Later Antonio pops by to ask if I would like some more wine. “No thank you, but a Hennessy Paradis would be welcome.”

A visit to “the loo with the view” solves the earlier problem of getting some shots of the engines. Perhaps this is one occasion where travelling on the lower deck might be an advantage.  

Arrival in Perth and Conclusions

We are nearing the Western Australian coast as I help myself to a drink of mango juice from the mini bar. It is also time to ensure that the Incoming Passenger card is complete, together with a separate health declaration.

Teesha comes by to enquire if I had a pleasant sleep and enjoyed the meal. She also asks, “Before we close the galley, is there anything we can bring for you?”

An espresso doppio fits the bill.

The flight path sees us cross the coast to the north of the city and then head along the Swan Valley, home to some fine wines. We have made good time and will be arriving just before 17:00. Landing on Runway 21 we pass a number of Fokker 100s operated by Alliance Airlines and some Qantas and Virgin Australia tails at the Domestic Terminal.

Over at the International Terminal we can see visitors from Singapore, South Africa, the UAE (which will heading back to Dubai as EK423) and a Garuda Indonesia 738 in retro livery from the 1960s.

But before we get there, we must wait for this Virgin Australia Regional Fokker 50 (still in the old Skywest livery) to take off. Is it a delayed departure to Geraldton?

Finally we can approach the contact stand. Work on the new Domestic Pier (though delayed) is well under way. Once we reach the stand, there is a bit of a wait before the jet bridges are moving and connecting to the aircraft. A knock on the door to indicate readiness before the crew can open up. I use the time to bid farewell to those who have treated me so well.

Border control is a breeze. I try out the Smart Gate system with the assistance of one of the volunteer “Gold Coats”. The man at Quarantine takes the bits of paper that I had filled in on board and directs me to the exit, no need to have my suitcase scanned. Emerging into the Arrival Hall, I spot a driver holding a sign with my name on it. Just ten minutes after the scheduled arrival time, I am placing the key in the lock of the front door. I am home.

Time to unpack all the goodies that I have been given during my flights with EK. Slippers, pyjamas, eye shades, the souvenir baggage tag from the inaugural A380 out of Perth, and two packs of playing cards presented by Ibrahim on the flight from Hamburg.

Contents of the Amenity Kit provided to men and the guide to the Shower Spa.

Bvlgari Eau Parfumée, Body Lotion and After Shave Balm.

An Emirates embossed writing kit

And a useful bag in which to place it all.  

In conclusion I can only say that Emirates has provided a consistently high level of on-board service. The crew were ever ready and willing to attend to any needs in a cheerful and professional manner. Oh the showers and the suites may be wonderful (though some may dislike the ornateness of the suites); the meals and wines are perfect enough; but it is the crew, always the crew, who can make or break a flight.

My thanks and appreciation to those who “Make Someone’s Day - The EK way” by looking after me so well.

Previous Trip Reporting:

False Start New Beginning Inaugural A380 From PER (by ElanusNotatus May 11 2015 in Trip Reports)
Gateway To The Skies: Emirates 77W To Hamburg (by ElanusNotatus May 14 2015 in Trip Reports)
InterSky Substitution, Delay & The Dornier Museum (by ElanusNotatus May 19 2015 in Trip Reports)
Cleanskin To Mannheim Rhein-Neckar Air Dornier 328 (by ElanusNotatus May 20 2015 in Trip Reports)
Getting High With Tante: Junkers Ju 52 In Hamburg (by ElanusNotatus May 21 2015 in Trip Reports)
Mini-meet In Antwerp:flyVLM Fokker 50 From Hamburg (by ElanusNotatus May 23 2015 in Trip Reports)
Farewell To Hamburg: An Emirates 77W To Dubai (by ElanusNotatus May 26 2015 in Trip Reports)

lesfalls

Fri May 29, 2015 1:29 pm

Hey ElanusNotatus
Great TR  . How was the shower? What was the load? What time did you arrive in Perth? Anyways it was interesting to see such a long voyage  . Thank you for posting  .
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.

luv2fly

Fri May 29, 2015 1:29 pm

By far the perfect end to your adventure! You Sir have raised the bar for trip reports. Great relevent photos and just the right amount that really tell the story to the readers. Thanks again I enjoyed all the installments, sorry your travels are over though eagerly await future travels.
You can cut the irony with a knife

ElanusNotatus
Topic Author

Sat May 30, 2015 4:57 am

Hi lesfalls,

Quoting lesfalls (Reply 3):
How was the shower? What was the load? What time did you arrive in Perth?

The shower was wonderful. Invigorating yet relaxing at the same time.  

Load was F4 J45 Y about 250. A bit low but Emirates have found that loads increase with familiarity. On this route they are likely to because the current EK422/423 rotation is being suspended from July.

Landed at 16:58 but it was another 10 minutes or so before we could deplane. The STA was 17:35.

Hi luv2fly

Quoting luv2fly (Reply 4):
You Sir have raised the bar for trip reports.

That is praise indeed, thank you. I can only hope that I live up to expectations in future reports.

Quoting luv2fly (Reply 4):
sorry your travels are over though eagerly await future travels.

I am heading up to the Kimberley region in Western Australia in a week's time so I should be reporting on some more flights soon 

phunc

Sat May 30, 2015 2:48 pm

Thoroughly enjoyed reading all four sectors of your trip on EK! Thanks for the effort.

LTU932

Sat May 30, 2015 8:13 pm

One question: How's PER as airport? I may be flying down there somewhere down the road to visit a cousin, and while I already have an idea of DXB, I'd like to know how efficient the airport is, since you happened to fly the exact same route I would be taking (the only difference is that I'd fly the eastbound first). No idea when I will fly down there, but when it happens, it would definitely be on EK.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

ElanusNotatus
Topic Author

Sun May 31, 2015 4:37 am

Hi phunc,

Quoting phunc (Reply 6):

Thoroughly enjoyed reading all four sectors of your trip on EK! Thanks for the effort.

I am glad that you liked it and thank you for leaving a comment.

Hi LTU932,

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 7):
How's PER as airport?

Well at the moment it is a construction site. However, there is now an expanded arrivals hall with extra baggage carousels, a larger border protection area with SmartGates and the customs/ quarantine facilities have been improved. Improvements are also being made to departures border control and security. All this should improve passenger flow through the Terminal.

When I arrived bags started to appear on the carousel within about ten minutes of leaving the aircraft. At the time of my arrival there weren't any other international arrivals so it was it was a quick process, especially as I was the first off the plane. 

By the time that you visit the airport works should be complete so the arrival shouldn't be too difficult. If you are leaving on the evening departure, it can be a bit congested as many International flights are scheduled around that time, taking advantage of there being no curfew in Perth.

LTU932

Sun May 31, 2015 7:47 am

Quoting ElanusNotatus (Reply 8):

Thanks. Like I said, I don't know when, but I hope I can make it happen. I've never been to Australia before and that would be the perfect occasion.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

PlaneHunter

Sun May 31, 2015 3:27 pm

Hi Elanus,

once again a great report which highlights EK's strengths!

Quoting ElanusNotatus (Thread starter):
Tonight’s flight will be operated by A6-EOG, delivered to Emirates on 5th March, 2015, having first flown with test rego F-WWAX on 6th October 2014. It is configured as F14 C76 Y401.

Wow, you were lucky!

I am shown the bottle of Dom Pérignon 2004 before a glass is poured.

And for those who lamented the absence of a shower-selfie on the last A380 flight …
The PJs are très chic, n’est-ce pas?

Well, I'd definitely prefer LH's PJs due to the less pyjama-style design.

The setting is made up with dinnerware by Royal Doulton fine bone china and cutlery Robert Welch.

Very impressive.

PH
Nothing's worse than flying the same reg twice!

sultanils

Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:44 pm

Hi EN,

The perfect closing episode of your travels to Europe, thanks for your efforts in posting! On this journey with EK, there seemed to be really nothing in shortage, heck who can say they took a fresh shower on FL whatever? Me not in any case   Glad to see you enjoyed your journey so much and I’m eagerly looking fwd to the next one. Thanks again!

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

ElanusNotatus
Topic Author

Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:17 am

Hi Planehunter,

Thanks for reading and leaving a comment.

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 9):
Well, I'd definitely prefer LH's PJs due to the less pyjama-style design.

I'll have to see if I can book a flight and get a pair, just for comparison purposes of course.  

Hi Nils,

Quoting sultanils (Reply 10):
thanks for your efforts in posting!

My pleasure.

Quoting sultanils (Reply 10):
who can say they took a fresh shower on FL whatever?

I'm one up on the one percent who can't afford one in their private jets.  

saleya22r

Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:45 pm

Thank you for sharing another great report! I am astonished you (and many other members as well) have the time/energy/skill to write such high quality reports. I haven't even had time to read all of them yet!
How much less jet lagged did you actually feel after the flight? The bed looks really comfortable. The pyjamas provided look a bit like a jump suit though
May I ask what camera you are using?

ElanusNotatus
Topic Author

Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:22 am

Hi saleya22r,

Thanks for your kind words and comments.

Quoting saleya22r (Reply 12):
I am astonished you (and many other members as well) have the time/energy/skill to write such high quality reports.

The actual writing is the easy part, I find. The time consuming part is selecting/editing/uploading of the photos and subsequent copying and pasting of the links.

Quoting saleya22r (Reply 12):
How much less jet lagged did you actually feel after the flight?

I adjusted quite well. Heading West never seems to create problems but heading home has done in the past. The ability to have a shower and lie flat en-route certainly helps. Agreed, the PJs wouldn't win any fashion awards but they are comfortable enough.

The camera is a Fujifilm FinePix S4000. I usually just leave it in ASR mode but it does have many settings that you can adjust manually.

[Edited 2015-06-03 17:35:40]

SQueeze

Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:33 am

Hi ElanusNotatus

I read all your 4 TRs of EK and looks like you had a great experience with EK. Food was great, crew was great.

Looks like my less-than-stellar experience with them was probably just a one-off unfortunate one.

But still, having tried EY, and flown mostly SQ, I think we won't be back to EK anytime soon.

Cheers

ElanusNotatus
Topic Author

Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:38 am

Hi SQueeze,
Thanks for taking time to reading my reports and leaving comment.

Quoting SQueeze (Reply 14):
having tried EY, and flown mostly SQ

I haven't yet had the pleasure of sampling EY. In August I will reacquaint myself with SQ, who used to be my preferred carrier, but will be flying in Business between PER and SIN so won't even see a suite.   The good news is the connecting flight is with LH, so I am looking forward to seeing what their First experience is like.

invaders

Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:19 pm

Thanks for a great report. As I've usually got things to do in America, EK remains a company that I've yet to try. Their premium service does indeed seem to be hard to match, but maybe some day.

On a side note, and as mentioned some posts above, I thank you very much for writing such a detailed report!

O

ElanusNotatus
Topic Author

Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:29 am

Hi invaders,

Quoting invaders (Reply 16):
I thank you very much for writing such a detailed report!

Thank you for taking time to read it and for your kind words.
Regards,
EN

mh330fc

Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:30 am

Hallo ElanusNotatus!

Dom 2004! And Dukkah crusted lamb! Oh I so which I was you!

You know you made it in life when you get to travel First Class on a A380  

Love your reports. Good to hear EK took good care of you.

Thank you for posting.

ElanusNotatus
Topic Author

Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:42 am

Hi mh330fc,

Thanks for dropping by and reading my reportr. I am happy that you like them.

Yes, EK certainly looked after me well, thanks to the wonderful crews.

EN