Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

VapourTrails
Topic Author

Back On The Devil: QantasLink 717 & Q400

Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:47 pm

Back On The Devil: QantasLink 717 and Q400 - CBRMEL✈DPO✈MELCBR

I am not going to include much narrative for this trip report, rather, just let the photos tell the story, and provide some captioning. Some photos may be slightly out of order.   

~~~~~~

Last June, it was time to head to Tasmania for another family catch up and holiday as well.

CBRMEL

Booked on the 717 or was it another flight change, so long ago.. but, it would be another flight on The Devil.  

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Daniel G Foster - YBBN Spotters Group
View Large View Medium

Photo © Steven Austen

Canberra (International) Airport on a cold winter’s morning.

The VA terminal side of the airport.

B738 VH-VZT – ‘Kalgoorlie’

The Q Streaming iPad app.

The black and white photo is VH-NXK..I think.. did write it down at the time..   

Deja vu Devil.. VH-YQW, from Christmas 2014. Same gate as well.   

Read that the following month, the Devil got struck by lightning on approach to CBR.    Not an uncommon occurrence but was taken out of service for a couple of days.

Quite a common sight at CBR in 2015 – many B717-200’s.   

One of the nervous flyer aspect things I don’t like about the 717.. the wing is quite close to the ground..   

By the way, the QantasLink 717’s must have the longest seatbelts I have ever seen on an aircraft. Didn’t get a photo on this trip, but you get the idea.

For someone to need a seatbelt at least a metre long.. they would not be able to sit comfortably on the flight in general anyway.

I see long seatbelts as being as being a hazard in a non-routine event, or maybe they are that long for a reason? The trailing end when I use it is nearer the floor.

From the inflight magazine, showing my route, CBRMEL✈DPO

Their iPads worked during the flight, mine would not – probably a user error.. worked on VA in February.   

I am one of these people that has to try everything out, even before it is time to actually use it.

VH-YQS @ maintenance.

Lunch was good, up to standard and expectation, right type of food for flight and time of day.

Bank   

Here comes the bumpiest part of the flight, the landing.    ~ VIDEO ~ As I was filming it probably caught me a bit by surprise too, the pax behind me didn’t let it go uncommented.

Arrival @ a rainy MEL.

~~~~~~

MEL✈DPO

My flight was already there, waiting – even though I had at least an hour before departure.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Zach Liepa
View Large View Medium

Photo © Andrei Bezmylov

Because I checked in using my new iPhone, and was taking photos with it, my devices were in need of charging at the end of the first flight.  

One of the down sides about using technology over paper boarding cards for flying and transiting.

While waiting.. –XZF, I love the rain effect on this photo.   Named ‘Cygnet’ after a town in the state where I am visiting.

First time I have seen an A321 close up. Not familiar with Jetstar and not having flown them yet, I didn’t realise they had A321’s in their fleet.   

Arrival @ DPO

The flight takes about an hour. A smooth, routine flight. The crossing of Bass Strait can be turbulent but I find the Q400’s are much better than other, smaller aircraft, i.e. Saab 340 and Dash 8 Q300, for this journey.

I have never done this journey in a jet, but have from MEL-LST. Higher and quicker of course, but one of my aviation wishes, is that B717 will fly this route one day. Peak times like Christmas would be great.  

There was discussion some years ago about the future of the airport being uncertain. However, now only QF fly the main commercial flights, and Rex use BWT.

~~~~~~

Although this was a visit to family and holiday as well for me, I still like to be out and about and do the touristy things.

One of my bucket list items was to visit a National Trust home property estate, Clarendon, and Clarendon House. This also fitted in perfectly with other plans. Also noted was that it is under the flight path for LST.  

The Mersey River at Devonport, to Bass Strait.

In the background, one of the two vehicular / passenger ferries ‘Spirit of Tasmania’.

~~~~~~~

DPO✈MEL

VIDEO OF TAKE OFF AND CLIMBOUT FROM DPO ~

Back on the same aircraft as the flight over – VH-QON.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Steven Austen
View Large View Medium

Photo © Allen Zhao

Most people here remember where they were when aviation made a first impression on them, this place was it for me.

A special place indeed - a basic, simple airfield, with lots of fresh air, and the smell of aviation fuel, accompanied by sea breeze.

I shared anecdotes and my experiences over the years, but this is the first time I have shared photos and video with my friends on A.net.  

Think I must be the only member on A.net who has also actually been here..   

The City of Devonport, the ferry, and Cradle Mountain in the distance.

Bass Strait.

Port Phillip Bay, Victoria.

The mainland.

Mornington Peninsula, Victoria.

~~~~~~

MELCBR

My flight to CBR.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Paul McCarthy
View Large View Medium

Photo © Xing Stanley Li

Ready to depart, and a patched-up Jetstar A320.    According to the A.net photo database it has been patched since at least 2006 -2007, what happened here?

VIDEO OF CLIMBOUT FROM MEL

My thoughts and observation is that relish is messy and does not go too well on an economy flight and in a confined space.   

Bit of snow on the peaks.

VIDEO JUST AFTER LANDING ~

The statues / sculptures, not real kangaroos.  

A winter solstice afternoon welcome.

~~~~~~

Thank you for reading and browsing.

Cheers =  

Ytraveller

RE: Back On The Devil: QantasLink 717 & Q400

Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:48 am

Hi VapourTrails, nice report with great pictures. Especially loved the ones from the approach into DPO.

Thanks for sharing,
- Ytraveller

VapourTrails
Topic Author

Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:39 am

Hi Ytraveller

Thank you for your comment, I appreciate it. I wished I had of got more photos of what you mentioned, but the light was not good, and it wasn't all that convenient. Maybe another trip I will have some more to share.  

Cheers =

TN486

Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:34 am

Thank you again for some great photos. My last air trip to DPO was in a TAA F27 many moons ago, although when touring Tassie over the last few years I have flown to LST, dropped into DPO by road, and exited from Hobart. I love the wilderness areas of Tassie, especially the trip down the west coast. Tassie holds a special place in my heart, although my home town, MEL, is my first love. Cheers mate, keep em coming.
remember the t shirt "I own an airline"on the front - "qantas" on the back

Ryan h

Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:36 am

Nice photos and report.

When I flew on a 717 back in 2013, since it is lower to the ground than a 737, it gave me a greater impression of speed.
South Australian Spotter

WearyDrover

Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:57 pm

Quoting VapourTrails (Thread starter):
Clarendon House.

Been there, done that. At the time the rose garden was in full bloom.

not real kangaroos

I had to have a second look, lol.

Great trip report combining the 717 and Q400. I liked the views of the country that you flew over. It is good that you were able to capture the movement of the flaps on approach and landing.

Regards,
Weary
A man may learn wisdom even from a foe - Aristophanes

Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:44 pm

Great photos and report from your trip to Tasmania! I don't think I've ever read a report about a trip there. It looks like a nice place!

Qantas looks like they provided a nice service on these flights ... I'm also not a big fan of the 717. I much prefer a larger Boeing.

Best,

Matthew
I love to fly!

allrite

Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:22 am

Pity that Tasmania is another of those "we don't fly overseas from Canberra" destinations!  

So Q-streaming didn't work for you either direction? I've only tried the iPads on the 767s and try BYO until they support Android.

At least when you catch the train from Canberra you can see real 'roos, not just statues!

Not familiar with Jetstar and not having flown them yet, I didn’t realise they had A321’s in their fleet.

They've had them for a while, all second or third hand. Not the best aircraft in their fleet IMHO, having flown them between SYD-CNS.

Quoting 767747 (Reply 6):
I don't think I've ever read a report about a trip there. It looks like a nice place!

It's a stunningly scenic state with some great food and friendly people.

FYI, I also flew to Tasmania last school holidays (hopefully didn't offend you with the early comments about Tasmania.   ). Down In The Apple Aisle: Jetstar SYD-HBA Return.
I like artificial banana essence!

777Jet

Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:31 am

Awesome TR mate!

It makes me feel like going out of my way to log another 717  

I liked all of the pics, especially the pic looking back towards the 717 engine from your seat.
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

VapourTrails
Topic Author

Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:33 am

Quoting TN486 (Reply 3):
Thank you again for some great photos. My last air trip to DPO was in a TAA F27 many moons ago, although when touring Tassie over the last few years I have flown to LST, dropped into DPO by road, and exited from Hobart. I love the wilderness areas of Tassie, especially the trip down the west coast. Tassie holds a special place in my heart, although my home town, MEL, is my first love. Cheers mate, keep em coming.

Thank you TN486 for your comments and for sharing your thoughts and reminiscences. I was in two minds about whether to put this trip report up for a while there, but I am glad I have.  

So, there is at least one other person on here who has visited DPO.   

It has had two upgrades since I first went there. It sounds like you were also there when it was an open air airport, in those days you could stand at the fence. What I now call an MYA airport, little regional.

DPO had an upgrade in the 80's to 'jet standard' although those regular service years didn't last long unfortunately, at least it is jet ready, for whenever that day, or diversion might come. It also became an inside airport then too. Then post-2001, a few years ago really, had another upgrade, in the name of tighter security, and needed refurbishment and design.

I remember TAA but don't remember the F27's there, possible too young and not enough regular visits. You would be among the majority that use LST now, rather than this one and BWT. I have never been to Cambridge, HBA, but I saw on the news when I was there on this trip, that they are getting an/another upgrade too.

I only visited the west coast in this century! Arthur River in 2000 and Strahan and Queenstown in 2003. I love it there to visit, but the lot of winding roads make me much even more car sick now, when I travel about Tassie, like up to Cradle too. I have been a mainlander for too long it seems! At least Tassie is not far from MEL for you to visit. Cheers.

VapourTrails
Topic Author

Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:43 am

Quoting Ryan h (Reply 4):
Nice photos and report.

When I flew on a 717 back in 2013, since it is lower to the ground than a 737, it gave me a greater impression of speed.

Hi Ryan h, thank you for dropping by and your comments. That is interesting, I hadn't thought of that aspect, about the impression of speed. Thanks.  
Quoting WearyDrover (Reply 5):
Been there, done that. At the time the rose garden was in full bloom.

Hi Weary, thank you for your comments. Yes, I would love to go back in summer and see it from a different perspective. Actually it is closed now for much needed restoration, so I was lucky to have the chance to see it in June. I've done Entally House, but so long ago, want to go back again. Brickendon Estate at Longford is another nearby that I want to do too.  

VapourTrails
Topic Author

Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:55 am

Great photos and report from your trip to Tasmania! I don't think I've ever read a report about a trip there. It looks like a nice place!

Qantas looks like they provided a nice service on these flights ... I'm also not a big fan of the 717. I much prefer a larger Boeing.

Best,

Matthew

Hi 767747, Thank you. One thing that inspires me to do a trip report, is that I seem to go places that don't have trip reports done about them! It is a nice place, very pretty, green, more like UK and Ireland, in places, particularly where I am from, around the north west, but quite diverse overall. A lot of wilderness on the west and south west. The midlands where the major highway runs from north to south looks more like around Canberra countryside, but the central part is very mountainous, and the east coast has lovely beaches!

I do like QantasLink, the service is friendly, simple, but adequate, with no frills, but not a LCC. The only things I don't like about the 717 is the wing being close to the ground as mentioned, and sitting towards the back. I haven't had a flight near the front yet, but I was watching a clip on YouTube, filmed from near the front, and it was noticeably quieter! At least I've had a few flights down the back, and as mentioned by other replies, you get to see more of the aircraft. When I travel to BNE soon on the 717 I think that would be long enough to be sitting down the back, but I guess I will not mind, of course!  

VapourTrails
Topic Author

Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:35 am

Quoting allrite (Reply 7):
Pity that Tasmania is another of those "we don't fly overseas from Canberra" destinations!  

So Q-streaming didn't work for you either direction? I've only tried the iPads on the 767s and try BYO until they support Android.

At least when you catch the train from Canberra you can see real 'roos, not just statues!

Not familiar with Jetstar and not having flown them yet, I didn’t realise they had A321’s in their fleet.

They've had them for a while, all second or third hand. Not the best aircraft in their fleet IMHO, having flown them between SYD-CNS.

I don't think I've ever read a report about a trip there. It looks like a nice place!

It's a stunningly scenic state with some great food and friendly people.

Hi allrite

Thanks for dropping by. I am not sure if you can fly international from HBA? They use to have flights to New Zealand? CBR is getting regular scheduled international fights next year or two I believe. Don't the owners of CBR keep saying, we are ready, and they will come. It makes me smile.   'cause people are still waiting..

I am not sure whether Q-streaming worked on the return, don't think I tried it. Just listened to music, and it was a short flight. But, I will give it a go again next month when I travel to BNE. I couldn't leave feedback from the email either as I had deleted it. I am sure it was my settings.

Yes, I read your trip report and I am glad you had a really nice time and the family enjoyed it too. You mentioned The Don Railway, I am hoping to get there over Christmas. They are quite active on social media, so it keeps reminding me for a longer trip, I will have more time and to pay a visit there. Been there before, but not for years.

=

VapourTrails
Topic Author

Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:51 am

Quoting 777Jet (Reply 8):
Awesome TR mate!

It makes me feel like going out of my way to log another 717  

I liked all of the pics, especially the pic looking back towards the 717 engine from your seat.

Hi 777Jet

Thanks for reading and leaving a comment. I hope you can get another flight on a 717 sometime in the future - nowadays, in this part of the country, would be an ideal time, as there are so many operating, and daily. A trip to somewhere new perhaps, to tie it in?

For me, someone who would have liked to log a flight on one, I seem to be on them fifty percent of my flights these days at least! Must have something to do with the 717 maintenance being based at CBR now or soon.  

With regard, to the photo(s) looking back towards the engine, it is awesome.

However... I know I wouldn't be the only person to be sitting there, thinking.... if the window breaks or something happens on this side of the fuselage, I am very likely going to be sucked into that jet engine... NOT a good way to go.      

On the positive side though, when the 717 are no longer flying, it will be nice to have that memory of sitting there, and when the engine starts up, that distinct sound.

Oh yes, and the engine looks so much larger, from the aircraft, than outside it, that was something I really noticed on my first flight.

Cheers =

[Edited 2015-08-24 04:05:01]

TN486

Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:20 pm

http://www.timetableimages.com/ttimages/tn/tn7105/tn715-07.jpg

AN and TN flew F27's (Fokker Friendships). They flew direct at times, but normally triangular with MEL/DPO/BWT/MEL or the reverse. Check it out on the provided link. If you can't link it just google timetableimages, and follow the links to TAA 1971.
If I remember correctly, the jet service was provided by AN under the Kendall brand. Cheers.

VapourTrails
Topic Author

Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:39 pm

Quoting TN486 (Reply 14):
http://www.timetableimages.com/ttimages/tn/tn7105/tn715-07.jpg

AN and TN flew F27's (Fokker Friendships). They flew direct at times, but normally triangular with MEL/DPO/BWT/MEL or the reverse. Check it out on the provided link. If you can't link it just google timetableimages, and follow the links to TAA 1971.
If I remember correctly, the jet service was provided by AN under the Kendall brand. Cheers.

Hi TN486, thanks for the link. I did not know that those old timetables existed on the 'net! Will have a closer look at these. It is great that this old memorabilia is being digitised for all to see and enjoy.  

I have flown on the F27, of course. I think I was getting it confused with something else. My error.   

TN486

Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:41 pm

http://www.timetableimages.com/ttimages/tn/tn68/tn68-09.jpg

I nearly forgot. TN also flew internally within Tassie with Beachcraft ac as well. The above is from Aug 1968.

allrite

Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:29 pm

Quoting VapourTrails (Reply 12):
Thanks for dropping by. I am not sure if you can fly international from HBA? They use to have flights to New Zealand? CBR is getting regular scheduled international fights next year or two I believe. Don't the owners of CBR keep saying, we are ready, and they will come. It makes me smile.   'cause people are still waiting..

No scheduled flights any more from HBA, but I really could imagine charters from Asia, if not a scheduled service, say from China, one day. I can imagine Tasmania appealing to them as it is so very clean and different.

It's a pity that CBR is not served by larger aircraft and international flights. The beautiful airport just screams for it!

I loved your photos. I can't believe it's been many months since my last flight. Maybe my boss won't pay after I ditched her at the airport for a train.  
Quoting VapourTrails (Reply 12):
You mentioned The Don Railway, I am hoping to get there over Christmas. They are quite active on social media, so it keeps reminding me for a longer trip, I will have more time and to pay a visit there. Been there before, but not for years.

Have you tried the WCR? It's so expensive but I would love to travel the entire length. If you do manage to catch the Don River Railway at Xmas then I hope you write another report with photos.  

777Jet

Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:37 am

Quoting VapourTrails (Reply 13):
With regard, to the photo(s) looking back towards the engine, it is awesome.

Did you pick that seat intentionally to get those kinds of pics based on past 717 cabin / seat experiences, or was the seat randomly assigned?

Sorry if I forgot, but what row number were you in? (so I know what row to ask for on my next QF 717 flight to get those kinds of pics).

Quoting VapourTrails (Reply 13):
However... I know I wouldn't be the only person to be sitting there, thinking.... if the window breaks or something happens on this side of the fuselage, I am very likely going to be sucked into that jet engine... NOT a good way to go.

Hahaha...

It wouldn't be a good way to go, but better than falling to the ground I guess  

I remember the NZ family (parents) of a male passenger on UA811, who had some body parts found in the engine, said in some sense they were kind of glad he went through the engine and died very quickly instead of possibly being alive during the freefall to the ocean impact.
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

VapourTrails
Topic Author

Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:05 am

Quoting TN486 (Reply 16):
I nearly forgot. TN also flew internally within Tassie with Beachcraft ac as well. The above is from Aug 1968.

Gosh, these are great! Thanks again. I have done some browsing, as I was trying to find Ansett or EastWest Airlines, 727 flying to DPO timetable in the 80's but some only have the covers. I liked this one though: http://www.timetableimages.com/ttimages/an2/an6412/an64-01.jpg

It is a bit sad really, to see what Ansett was back then, and how it became.   These are reminders.

Quoting allrite (Reply 17):
No scheduled flights any more from HBA, but I really could imagine charters from Asia, if not a scheduled service, say from China, one day. I can imagine Tasmania appealing to them as it is so very clean and different.

It's a pity that CBR is not served by larger aircraft and international flights. The beautiful airport just screams for it!

I loved your photos.

I am sure international flights to and from these airports will happen, maybe not in our lifetime, but one day, it will I am sure it will be a regular thing. The airport, CBR, has been built for the future, in anticipation of this.

Thanks for the photo comment. I guess I do not do too bad a job, on an iPad and iPhone, and trying not to be too obvious and snap happy all the time.  
Quoting allrite (Reply 17):
Have you tried the WCR? It's so expensive but I would love to travel the entire length. If you do manage to catch the Don River Railway at Xmas then I hope you write another report with photos.

What is WCR sorry? I may do a trip report at Christmas.     
Quoting 777Jet (Reply 18):
Did you pick that seat intentionally to get those kinds of pics based on past 717 cabin / seat experiences, or was the seat randomly assigned?

My seat was assigned to me. I tried to get further up the cabin, but I don't think the fare I paid allowed it.The last flight I was on, from SYD to CBR, I managed to get a bit further up - row 15 or 16A perhaps? That one I didn't book on, it was a suggested earlier flight change at check-in.

Sorry if I forgot, but what row number were you in? (so I know what row to ask for on my next QF 717 flight to get those kinds of pics).

You know, I forgot to even mention what rows they were! It would have been 18F or 19F. http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Qan...ntas_Airways_Boeing_717-200_V3.php Seat Map for 2-Class QF 712 courtesy of SeatGuru.

I remember the NZ family (parents) of a male passenger on UA811, who had some body parts found in the engine, said in some sense they were kind of glad he went through the engine and died very quickly instead of possibly being alive during the freefall to the ocean impact.

Yeah, I know the episode you mean and the scene where they are discussing that. It is also particularly heart wrenching to hear parents talking about their deceased children on those programs.   

I see your point though.

[Edited 2015-08-24 21:14:22]

777Jet

Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:04 pm

Quoting VapourTrails (Reply 19):
Quoting 777Jet (Reply 18):Sorry if I forgot, but what row number were you in? (so I know what row to ask for on my next QF 717 flight to get those kinds of pics).
You know, I forgot to even mention what rows they were! It would have been 18F or 19F. http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Qan...ntas_Airways_Boeing_717-200_V3.php Seat Map for 2-Class QF 712 courtesy of SeatGuru.

Thanks for that mate, I'll keep those row numbers in mind!

It's a shame on the SeatGuru seat map they don't show where the engines are mounted in relation to the rows  

TN486

Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:26 pm

I suspect this is what Allrite was alluding too:

http://www.wcwr.com.au/

I recommend the trip, well worth doing, I loved every minute of it. cheers

VapourTrails
Topic Author

Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:18 pm

777Jet, yes, they should add the engines to the diagram, I thought that would have been quite important for seating decision!   

TN486, thanks. Oh yes, I have done that! It snowed, in October! Was a memorable trip.

=

allrite

Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:24 am

Quoting TN486 (Reply 21):
I suspect this is what Allrite was alluding too:

http://www.wcwr.com.au/

Yes, that's the one!

Quoting TN486 (Reply 21):
I recommend the trip, well worth doing, I loved every minute of it. cheers
Quoting VapourTrails (Reply 22):
TN486, thanks. Oh yes, I have done that! It snowed, in October! Was a memorable trip.

Great, I really want to go now! Unfortunately, they don't do the entire run at once in the winter season when we were there. It's expensive enough that you want to make the best go of it too. I was thwarted by my son's motion sickness from reaching the Don River railway and by time to catch the Ida Bay train (though I can't say that one looks particularly good).