Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

boilergo
Topic Author

Biz Jet Training Hops: CL350 ADS-TKI-ADS

Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:17 pm

Howdy! This will be my first (and probably disaster/slapped together) of an attempt at a "trip report." I wanted to do something a little different than what I usually see on here: business jet travel.

Disclaimer: I am not a good photographer. I love taking pictures of things, but I am terrible at it and am okay admitting that. I was only armed with a Nikon P&S that day, so expect that quality of picture.

Forward: Up until recently, my former employer was headquartered in Richardson, TX, and it was relatively easy to jump on empty legs out of town on any given day. I had hoped to do a proper trip report on a decent sized segment like DAL-LGA or SNA, etc...alas our last day before the layoff came and went and I just didn't have time/schedules didn't line up for me to grab an empty...I DID, however, manage to ride along one morning on a training bounce from Addison, TX, up to McKinney, TX, and back home to Addison.

===========

Aircraft Info:
N572FX
Bombardier Challenger 350
Operated by Flexjet, LLC.

Routing...which isn't terribly accurate for this trip, but I figured I'd post it anyway. The filing got messed up as well, so the segments down on the list don't quite jive either.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-AybksdN2J2g/Vfw1O37jgmI/AAAAAAAAAXg/e49GvXX_iY4/s800-Ic42/Screen%252520Shot%2525202015-07-29%252520at%2525205.15.00%252520PM.png
From CL350 ADS-TKI-ADS

===========

The Flight:

As I said, I was riding along on a .299 training flight for two of our captains. These are relatively uneventful if you're riding in the back, but they do have to stick the landing for short field simulation, so that can be interesting. Luckily today it wasn't too bad, and both of the pilots who were doing their bounces were very senior and did a great job.

Our ride today was a 2014 Challenger 350. The Challenger 300 series is the workhorse of the Flexjet fleet, as it is quite capable. It does well on very short missions, as well as longer over-water jumps. The 300/350 is probably my favorite to ride on after the Lear 45. I've never been much of a fan of the Challenger 604/5 series. Unfortunately by the time we began acquiring the our larger G450's and BD700's it became apparent that I would never get the chance to ride on one--at least as an employee, as the consolidations and layoffs had already begun.

N572FX featuring Flexjet's new color scheme and interior layout.

From CL350 ADS-TKI-ADS
From CL350 ADS-TKI-ADS
From CL350 ADS-TKI-ADS

After taking some shots of the aircraft, I climbed aboard just as the check airman and two captains were finishing up some paperwork and preflight brief. They welcomed me aboard and we made some smalltalk for awhile and then had a pretty interesting discussion on how we thought our company was handling the acquisition by DAC and how that made us feel personally. (I'll give you a hint: not happy. But as my mom always said: If you don't have something nice to say, come sit next to me!)

This is the well-appointed forward galley area. I'm 6'4" so it's rather difficult for me to fit in there and take a picture. Forgive the quality of these two shots, please.

From CL350 ADS-TKI-ADS
From CL350 ADS-TKI-ADS

Looking back into the passenger compartment. This aircraft has room for 9 adults. The gentleman seated at the emergency exit was another ride-along.

From CL350 ADS-TKI-ADS

And looking forward. The passenger compartment is quite spacious, and I certainly wouldn't mind a TATL or Hawaii jump in one of these.

From CL350 ADS-TKI-ADS

This is the seat which I would occupy for both 10 minute flights. Behind you can see one of the two video screens which can do a variety of things, but we opted to leave the moving map up for the flight. This is probably one of the coolest moving maps I have messed around with. It is a lot like google earth, and provides a satellite view and moves in real time with the aircraft.

From CL350 ADS-TKI-ADS
From CL350 ADS-TKI-ADS

Moving on to the at-seat amenities we have the little screen control which will operate the audio/visual system, map, lighting, and give a flight progress bar.

From CL350 ADS-TKI-ADS
From CL350 ADS-TKI-ADS

Excuse the quality of this picture. Each seat also has the expected headphone and USB jacks. I believe you can actually use the USB ports to project content from your personal device to the screens, though I didn't try this out.

From CL350 ADS-TKI-ADS

PSU area. You can control both the reading lights and the courtesy lamp from your seat.

From CL350 ADS-TKI-ADS

And a quick shot out my window:

From CL350 ADS-TKI-ADS

By this time it was time to button up and be on our way. Here are a few shots and a video clip from the first leg. The video is most of the flight, and apparently I had the "no shaky-shaky" feature turned on so it acts a little strange on the departure. These planes are very quiet for what they are, and you can definitely tell you are on a Bombardier product. Business jets definitely have a little more kick to them than larger airliners, and the acceleration will put a smile on your face!

http://youtu.be/U3kRYap1F7Q

From CL350 ADS-TKI-ADS
From CL350 ADS-TKI-ADS

After a whole 12 or so minutes we were already on the ground at McKinney National. We departed the runway and taxied back to the north end of the airport where the switch out of captains could take place. Because we had a few minutes on the ground here, I was able to take a couple more pictures of the cabin.

Here is the lavatory. I was astounded at how many individual lighting options you could chose in there. Every fixture had a control. I guess you can set the mood for whatever the occasion is, be it #1, #2, or something else.   (un)Fortunately I didn't have a chance to try out the functionality of the bathroom, and I'm sure to at least one of y'alls dismay, wasn't able to do a proper toilet paper or sanitary napkin efficiency test. Perhaps next time.

From CL350 ADS-TKI-ADS
From CL350 ADS-TKI-ADS

Here are a couple shots of the divan and a seat in the lounge configuration. I should also note that these seats will turn and slide to your preference.

From CL350 ADS-TKI-ADS
From CL350 ADS-TKI-ADS

It was again time to get moving, so we belted back in, and the engines were quickly brought back to life. It was a very short taxi onto the runway, and we were on our way back. Here is a video of the entire return journey (no shaky shaky this time!) as well as a couple pictures inflight. It was starting to really heat up for the day, so this flight was a bit more choppy than the last, but nothing really serious.

From CL350 ADS-TKI-ADS
From CL350 ADS-TKI-ADS
From CL350 ADS-TKI-ADS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2u-DsxCfKg

Back on the ground in Addison! The pilots still had to debrief and get the aircraft ready for a couple of live legs later that afternoon. I quickly snapped some pictures of the cockpit and was on my way (and out of theirs.)

From CL350 ADS-TKI-ADS
From CL350 ADS-TKI-ADS
From CL350 ADS-TKI-ADS

So that was my short little breakfast bounce party, as documented by a bad photographer and a camera he didn't quite understand how to use yet.

From CL350 ADS-TKI-ADS

Dedicated to all former Flexjet Employees, and those, who like me, were given the (mandatory) opportunity to seek out new adventures in the aviation industry. It's been a great ride, and I enjoyed being able to call all of you my teammates these last couple of years!

KingFriday013

RE: Biz Jet Training Hops: CL350 ADS-TKI-ADS

Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:21 pm

Very cool report. Definitely not a type of travel you hear about very often. Looks really nice!

Sucks about what's going on with the company. Good luck with wherever your future takes you.

-J.
Will add later

WearyDrover

Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:53 pm

Hi boilergo.

Great report. I am reading it on my smartphone and the pictures look clear, so no problems there. Also like the sense of humour: toilet paper efficiency test. Lol.

Shame the hops weren't a bit longer so that they could have put on some cabin service with a meal. Still, it's a great way to fly.

Best wishes for the future. Weary
A man may learn wisdom even from a foe - Aristophanes

WPIAeroGuy

Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:12 am

Very cool report! One of these days I'll snag a ride on a bizjet.
-WPIAeroGuy

LFutia

Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:19 pm

Never realised how nice the interiors are on the biz jets. I really like the moving maps and wish other airlines would follow suit. Best of luck on your latest endeavor.
Leo/ORD