WearyDrover
Topic Author

The New Emirates Perth Lounge: A380 To Dubai

Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:15 am

The New Emirates Perth Lounge: A380 to Dubai

There are other options for getting to Hamburg from Perth but these are two-stop journeys. They often involve a lengthy layover at the first, followed by a mad dash at the next where a non-Schengen to Schengen transfer is required. Far simpler is the one-stop offered by Emirates. Besides, they have recently opened a new lounge in Perth and I really want to try it out.  

A search of the Emirates website shows that on my preferred travel dates there are seats available on the Perth departure but only one on the connecting flight. No shilly-shallying, make a booking. During selection, the number of Air miles and Tier miles each option will earn is indicated.

When the confirmation arrives, I notice that if you are logged into Skywards when making the reservation, the background colour of the area showing check-in times changes according to tier status.

Emirates is a bit different to some other airlines: they only permit you to make a seat selection once you have a confirmed reservation but they charge no extra. The seat selection part of Manage a Booking shows that on the A380 out of Perth all seats in rows 1 and 2 are occupied or blocked. I decide upon 3K, mindful that on a previous occasion the wi-fi controller in that suite was faulty. Surely by now, it would be fixed if the same aircraft were to operate the flight. For the connecting flight only one seat is available and is automatically assigned — 1A. Good news for Emirates that the cabin is full. Paid fares or Airmiles upgrades, I wonder?

Having sorted out the seats, the next step is booking the complimentary chauffeur-drive transfers to and from the airports. This is done by following a link under Manage A Booking and entering details for pick time and place for each sector.

Also under Manage A Booking, passengers requiring a special meal for health, moral conviction or religious reasons can make requests for each sector travelled. If you wish to be vegetarian-lacto-ova on the first sector or convert to another religion for the last, you can. Those who wish to can always download the standard menu for the flight a few days before departure.

Prior to a previous flight with Emirates I received an email telling me that my flight would arrive in Dubai five minutes early. This time an email comes apologising for any inconvenience that might result from my arriving back home five minutes early. I guess that I'll have to spend less time in the shower.  

Two days before departure there is a call from Hughes Limousines. It is Kirstin who wishes to confirm the pick up time and address for the transfer to the airport. We agree a 19:00 pick up and shortly after an email confirmation arrives.

The following morning a problem arises. Although used only a few days before, when packing the camera a quick test reveals that it has gone to that great camera warehouse in the sky. Despite going through all the trouble-shooting steps, it can not be brought back to life. Some internet research and visits to a number of outlets results in the purchase of a replacement.

After receiving an SMS reminder that check-in is open, I go online. The boarding passes can be printed directly, or a link sent to a mobile device or emailed. I just print them to pdf and save them as I will need to drop off a suitcase and new boarding passes will be printed anyway.

The car arrives at the appointed time and soon is pulling up outside the International Terminal. The driver is Cameron and he is kind enough to discuss how the transfer bookings are organised, all being booked through Hughes, with the drivers being owner-drivers and franchisees.

Queues have formed at the Emirates desks and also at the adjacent Qatar Airways desks for the daily flight to Doha. Once my bag is checked, the agent informs me that the new lounge is open, saying that to reach it one must walk to Gate 51 and down the stairs.

But I go up to the observation deck on Level 3 first. On Stand 152 there is an Air Asia Flight, QZ537 boarding passengers for Denpasar-Bali.

Also present and painted in OneWorld livery is a Boeing 777-3DZER operating for Qatar Airways, A7-BAG. It will be leaving for Doha about 20 minutes after the EK flight departs.

Back on the Departures Level and through the duty free area, another opportunity to view the aircraft. At a remote stand behind the Air Asia Airbus A320-200, PK-AZD, is an Airbus A340-313 from South African Airways.

At Stand 151 the Emirates Airbus A380 is being loaded for tonight's flight. In the distance are some Qantas and Virgin tails over at the domestic terminal.

The new Emirates Lounge is now open. Promised to be available for the commencement of A380 services in May, there were the inevitable delays that saw the opening put back until late early October. Situated below the old lounge, the new will offer direct access to the aircraft. The old lounge looks desolate as I pass it to reach the stairs down to the departure gate seating area.

Chia welcomes me to the lounge and apologises for Michael Canton, the mâitre d'hôtel, not being here tonight. In his place, Chia is happy to give me a guided tour.

The lounge is tastefully furnished and despite being much larger than the old one, still maintains a sense of calm. Of course there are defined seating and dining areas, as well as a small Business Centre offering PCs with Internet access, a printer, fax and telephones. One minor difference, or maybe just an oversight this evening, there are only paper towels in the Gents in place of the cotton ones normally seen.

But what food and drink offerings are there? The team have put on a splendid spread when one considers that only passengers on Emirates flights travelling in First and Business, or those with Gold or Platinum tier status, have access. There is a selection that provides both hot and cold meals. Choices include hors-d'oeuvres, salads, cheeses and desserts.

Wines, beers, spirits and a range of soft drinks are available, together with nuts, olives and dates. Self-serve teas and coffees are also on hand. Another self-serve bar is available in the general seating area of the lounge.

A plate of Steamed Salmon with soy, lemon, ginger and onion dressing and a glass of wine from Cape Mentelle will do before boarding. I'm sure the cabin crew won't let me starve during the flight.

After the snack I move to another part of the lounge. Chia appears saying, "There you are. Have you hidden yourself away?" We chat for a while about developments before Chia asks, "Can I get you something to drink?"

The coffee - a long black - is real, not muggefug.

A pre-boarding announcement is made, inviting "those who require assistance to board now. First and Business Class passengers and those with Platinum or Gold Tier status are free to board at any time."

This is followed later with a general call. Saying goodbye to the friendly and welcoming staff, I make my way from the lounge to the gate, through a dedicated lane for premium passengers and along the jet-bridge to the upper deck. The direct access from the lounge is not yet in operation.

A man may learn wisdom even from a foe - Aristophanes

WearyDrover
Topic Author

RE: The New Emirates Perth Lounge: A380 To Dubai

Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:52 am

Flight: Emirates EK421

Aircraft: A380-800 Seat: 3K

Aircraft ID: A6-EEH

Scheduled Departure: 22:10

Actual Departure: 22:10

Scheduled Arrival: 05:20

Actual Arrival: 04:53

Tonight's flight is operated by A6-EEH, with Emirates since 4 June 2013, and being the 34th A380 in the fleet. It began service operating EK406 flying DXB-MEL-AKL on 6 June 2013. One month later, while flying EK406 again, it made its first visit to Perth when it was diverted due to a medical emergency. The aircraft is configured 14F 76J 399Y with a main deck cabin crew rest area.

A cheerful "welcome back Mr Drover" as I show my boarding pass. "Let me just get someone to show you through."

It is Michelle who leads the way and offers to hang my jacket in the wardrobe. "Can I fetch you something to drink?"

A bottle of Dom Perignon 2005 is brought, the wine is poured into the glass.

In the suite there is a large pillow on the seat with a mattress and duvet placed in the storage alongside. Some noise-cancelling headphones are in the pocket at the side, along with the safety card, Open Skies and a guide to ICE. The remote control tablet is working but I note that one of the hinges to the storage box is broken.

There follows a bag containing an amenity kit, slippers and pyjamas. Someone pops by to ask when I would like to use the shower spa, while another crew member offers magazines and newspapers. Meanwhile, other passengers enter the cabin, make themselves at home and receive similar offerings.

A few minutes later the ritual offer of coffee and dates. It is Marič who offers the coffee.

"Good evening ladies and gentlemen and welcome aboard this Emirates A380 bound for Dubai. I'm Captain Robert Kenny and with me on the flight deck are Flight Officers Awab and Santiago, while the team in the cabin is led by Naida."

"In a few minutes, after the paperwork is finished, we will be making our departure. Our flight tonight should be about ten hours and the weather en route is expected to be fine."

An announcement in Arabic is made, welcoming passengers aboard this Emirates flight 421 to Dubai in partnership with Qantas, and welcoming Skywards and Qantas Frequent Flyer members.

The cabin crew are busy carrying out pre-departure tasks and making the cabin safe as the Captain orders, "Ground personnel, please leave the aircraft."

The purser, Naida from Bangladesh, makes an announcement that as we are about to depart phones should be in flight mode or switched off. The safety video commences and the aircraft is pushed back.

At 21:55 "Cabin crew, prepare all doors and cross-check."

The safety video continues and pushback is on time at 22:10. At the stand from which QZ537 has now departed, the A340-313 from South Africa, ZS-SXB is preparing for boarding the return to JNB as SA281.

The mighty Airbus taxis to runway 21. "Cabin crew, prepare for take-off."

I hear the change in the sound of the engines as the aircraft gains speed and takes off to the south. The lights of the cityscape gradually fade as the aircraft turns to the north west and over the Indian Ocean.

"Ladies and gentlemen, you are now able to use your laptops and mobile phones should you wish to do so. Our crew tonight comes from 17 countries and speak 14 different languages ... Sit back, relax and enjoy the service on Emirates."

Naida comes by to introduce herself, bringing the menu for tonight's flight and asks if she can get me something to drink. I ask for a Pierro Vintage Reserve Chardonnay from Western Australia's Margaret River. The bottle is presented, a sample to taste is poured and yes, the glass can be filled. Michelle also brings a couple of small plates, one with potato crisps and the other with green and black olives, marinaded in rosemary dressing.

To dine I decide upon a starter of Peking Duck with radish, cucumber, chilli and wasabi-yuzu dressing. The table is set with a linen cloth, Royal Doulton dinnerware and Robert Welch tableware.

I don't go for a main but select another appetiser instead. This consists of Smoked Salmon and Crab Parcel with asparagus and fennel salad.

The meal is rounded off with a bowl of Hennessy Paradis and some Godiva chocolates.

When the meal is cleared I go into the shower spa to change into pyjamas. Meanwhile the bed is made up, I close the doors to the suite and turn off the TV.

As the aircraft passes over Maldives it gets a bit choppy. Through the windows I notice the flashing of red and white lights, reflected in high clouds. The choppy conditions increase and the Captain orders, "Cabin crew, go to your seats."

About two hours before landing Marič comes to the suite and asks whether I would like to have a shower. Feeling refreshed after a shower and shave, I return to the suite where I find a plate of fresh fruit and orange sauce. Michelle asks whether she can bring something for breakfast. I decide upon a Strawberry Smoothie, some fruit and a bread basket.

By now we are approaching the Arabian Peninsula, the coast of Oman a short way off. We have made good time and it looks as if we will arrive early. There is minor turbulence as the flight crosses over the Hajjar ash-Sharqi near the town of Sūr so that Jabal al Akhdar lies to the left.

Awab will be landing the aircraft in Dubai and he announces that we are about to make our descent. The lights of Muscat are behind us and we pass Matrah, Al Khābūrah and Suhar on approach. The dark patches become fewer as the lights that make up the ever-spreading Dubai appear ahead.

The usual video introduction to Dubai and how to find one's way around the airport is shown. The cabin crew have packed everything away and are told to "prepare for landing".

The Airbus lines up, the city lights getting closer, and touch down is at 04:53 ahead of a scheduled arrival of 05:20.

Moments later we are following the green and pulling up at Stand D4 outside Concourse A.

Mahabaan bikum fi Dubay. "You may now use your mobile phones but please remain seated until the aircraft has come to a full stop and the seatbelt sign is turned off."

It has been a pleasant journey, made all the more enjoyable by an accommodating crew, who I thank individually while waiting for the jet bridge to be connected and the doors opened.

A Fast Track card had been issued prior to departure from Perth but there is no fast track at the security screening at which we arrive. Things move reasonably quickly and I am soon on my way to the train station. My connecting flight will depart from Gate B10. Perhaps you'd like to join me in the Lounge before the flight?

[Edited 2015-10-31 22:58:03]

bill142

Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:16 am

The new EK lounges are a lot nicer.

jrfspa320

Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:23 am

Thanks for the report. Nice to see pics of my local airport

Glad to see the extension has finally opened.

MarcoPoloWorld

Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:32 am

Nice report - much attention to detail, letting us enjoying the trip with you vicariously.

No doubt, you are a sophisticated traveler, and I could only wish to come to close to your aviator adventures someday.

In the meantime, thanks a lot for sharing!   

mh330fc

Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:02 pm

Hi!

Food again looks fantastic! Those plates are super classy. The lounge seems elegant, understated and peaceful.

The Qatar One World livery looks very good.

Those olives are just... I can taste them! The duck looked very good with the fatty skin. YUM!
The Salmon and crab looks fresh and crisp. Perfect with the Chardonnay.
A symphony for the senses  
Seat (Suite), service, cuisine and comfort!

Enjoyed your post much.

Regards,

mh330fc

allrite

Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:47 am

Slumming it again in the skies! How many times to you visit Hamburg in a year? Seems like it's worse than me and Japan.  
I like artificial banana essence!

WearyDrover
Topic Author

Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:33 am

Hi all and thank you for your comments.

Quoting bill142 (Reply 2):
The new EK lounges are a lot nicer.

I was impressed as it was completely differently furnished to the old one. I did like the Toodyay stone facing.

Quoting jrfspa320 (Reply 3):
Glad to see the extension has finally opened.

At last some progress is being made. Now about that third runway...  
Quoting MarcoPoloWorld (Reply 4):
Nice report - much attention to detail, letting us enjoying the trip with you vicariously.

Thank you for your kind words. I hope that you will reach your goals and to read your own reports.

Quoting mh330fc (Reply 5):
Seat (Suite), service, cuisine and comfort!

The suite is nice but I am always positively impressed with the crew. On the return flight, without my asking, the purser organised a visit to the flight deck. It's those little touches that make the flights memorable.

Quoting allrite (Reply 6):
Slumming it again in the skies!

Yes, you can see why I'm Weary.   But someone's got to do it.

Quoting allrite (Reply 6):
How many times to you visit Hamburg in a year?

This year, three times. I do like the city as it has so much to offer. As to Japan, it's still on the to do list, along with Korea.

PS: I'll keep on trying but poxy server (spelling intended) error messages are preventing upload of the next report in the series.

[Edited 2015-11-02 18:36:07]

MIAspotter

Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:58 am

Hi WearyDrover.

Fantastic report, very well detailed, first class sure is a nice way to travel lol.

The lounges look fantastic with a nice selection.

I haven´t yet flown Emirates, but they look nice, although I can say I am not really a fan of their premium cabins (too much bling for my taste) in that aspect I like QR or EY with their more subtle cabins. (of course I would not turn down an offer to fly on them)

Looking forward to part 2

MIAspotter.
Nos vamos de Vueling?

cougar15

Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:43 am

Moin Moin Weary,
many thanks for sharing this with us, a great & detailed report with super pictures. Being a WA Boy, I often to the FRA run myself on EK; but sadly, I have only ever made it as far as J, F certainly looks superb!
On that note, have you changed your username, I am pretty sure I had been following your great reports in the past  
Schoenen Tag & cheerio Mark

[Edited 2015-11-03 01:44:45]

[Edited 2015-11-03 01:46:39]
some you lose, others you can´t win!

WearyDrover
Topic Author

Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:30 am

It's good to see some more comments. Thanks.

Quoting MIAspotter (Reply 8):
I am not really a fan of their premium cabins (too much bling for my taste)

It's not too bad on the A380 as there is no trim around the windows and of course none on the inside of the doors. When dining, the table is covered with linen and when using ICE you tend to be focused on the screen rather than the surrounds. But yes, perhaps if the cabin were fitted out similarly to the shower spa it would be more appealing to many.

Quoting MIAspotter (Reply 8):
Looking forward to part 2

If I can ever get past the "remote server was unable to handle the request". I have written another three reports but they won't upload to Airliners.net. They do appear on my personal web site so I guess it's an Anet thing.

Quoting cougar15 (Reply 9):
Moin Moin Weary

Moin Moin Cougar,
Hopefully on one of your trips to/ from PER or FRA you get an upgrade one day so that you too can enjoy a little luxury.

Quoting cougar15 (Reply 9):
I am pretty sure I had been following your great reports in the past

Glad to hear it. The change matches the launch of my own domain earlier this year, which is wearydrover.com
Alles Gute!

The complete series is available on my site but I will continue the attempts to upload them here.

Tesla

Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:19 am

Great report. Congrats on 10 hours in Emirates A380 First Class! I flew it once myself, but only a 2h flight from BKK to HKG. 2h was way too short for Emirates A380 F. 10h sounds more like it! It was by far my favorite flight and I hope to fly it again someday. Your report brought back memories of my own flight, and I was smiling the entire time I was reading it. Thanks!

triple7man

Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:23 am

I agree with Tesla. A 2 hour flight on an EK A380 BKK-HKG-BKK is way to short. I was in economy but still had great service. I love the inflight entertainment on EK. On the outbound flight, I asked the flight attendants if I could see the upper deck, and after everyone deplaned they gave me a tour and some souvenirs. Unfortunately, as an AA retiree, we no longer have an agreement to fly on EK, so I'm glad I flew them on their A380 when I did.
One of your pictures showed the cockpit. Was that on your flight?
Thank you for an excellent trip report
Have you kissed a 777 today?

cougar15

Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:58 am

Quoting WearyDrover (Reply 10):
Glad to hear it. The change matches the launch of my own domain earlier this year, which is wearydrover.com
Alles Gute!

thanks mate, love the website, got you bookmarked and will definetly stop by regulary!!!
some you lose, others you can´t win!

WearyDrover
Topic Author

Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:17 am

Hi Tesla,

Quoting Tesla (Reply 11):
2h was way too short for Emirates A380 F. 10h sounds more like it

Definitely. On a two hour flight you'd barely have time to settle in before landing. I guess the menu would be a bit more restricted and no chance to experience the shower.

Hi triple7man

Quoting triple7man (Reply 12):
One of your pictures showed the cockpit. Was that on your flight?
Thank you for an excellent trip report

The flightdeck shown is from the video showing how to navigate Dubai connections and arrivals. I was able to visit the flightdeck on the return journey, thanks to the Purser arranging it with the Captain. It was a nice surprise.

Quoting cougar15 (Reply 13):
thanks mate, love the website, got you bookmarked and will definetly stop by regulary!!!

Thanks. I appreciate it.

Thank you all for reading and leaving comments. I value the feedback.
Weary

Unclekoru

Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:37 am

Great trip report. The food looked fantastic, especially the Peking duck and the salmon with crab parcel. I've had a few forgettable meals on EK in First so it's nice to see that they can put something decent together. It was good I assume?
It sounds like english, but I can't understand a word you're saying

WearyDrover
Topic Author

Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:38 am

Hi Unclekoru,

Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment.

Yes, the meals were good. Not only were they visually appealing, they were tasty. EK seems to have moved away from what previously seem to be their approach: quantity rather than quality. In recent times the meals have improved, at least on the flights that I have taken.

Regards, Weary

Flightsimboy

Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:44 am

Hello Weary Drover,

I really like your style of writing....and this First Class trip report is great!

Quoting WearyDrover (Thread starter):
Prior to a previous flight with Emirates I received an email telling me that my flight would arrive in Dubai five minutes early. This time an email comes apologising for any inconvenience that might result from my arriving back home five minutes early. I guess that I'll have to spend less time in the shower.

An apology for being five mins early. First Class pax are really pampered  .

The following morning a problem arises. Although used only a few days before, when packing the camera a quick test reveals that it has gone to that great camera warehouse in the sky. Despite going through all the trouble-shooting steps, it can not be brought back to life. Some internet research and visits to a number of outlets results in the purchase of a replacement.

Such a shock when a camera fails. But glad it happened on the ground and not in the air.

At Stand 151 the Emirates Airbus A380 is being loaded for tonight's flight. In the distance are some Qantas and Virgin tails over at the domestic terminal.

How I wish I had even half a decent view of my SQ A380 as you got a pic here. What a beast the A380 is!

But what food and drink offerings are there? The team have put on a splendid spread when one considers that only passengers on Emirates flights travelling in First and Business, or those with Gold or Platinum tier status, have access. There is a selection that provides both hot and cold meals. Choices include hors-d'oeuvres, salads, cheeses and desserts.

I wonder how much of this food is wasted considering most First and Business pax don't even eat much on the ground as they are fed well on the flights.

Feeling refreshed after a shower and shave, I return to the suite where I find a plate of fresh fruit and orange sauce

I am not sure if you already posted pics of the showers before but it would be nice to see on here. And yes there are tons of EK First Class showers on a.net already.

The cabin crew have packed everything away and are told to "prepare for landing".
LAX772LR - "Answer to goofy question:" in response to my question about the B737-MAX8 being grounded. 48 hours later all B737-MAX8 grounded worldwide. Go figure!!

newbief1yer

Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:36 pm

Fantastic report Weary.
EK do a great job it looks like, and the A380 would be a great lace to be on the upper deck, right in the front.

Did you avail of the shower services?

WearyDrover
Topic Author

Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:13 am

Hi flightsimboy.

Thank you for your kind words and taking time to read my report.

Quoting flightsimboy (Reply 17):
wonder how much of this food is wasted

I had a chat about it with staff in the lounge in HAM during a previous trip and it seems quite a bit as not all passengers who can actually do visit. They do try and manage how much they prepare as, of course, no one can take food with (staff) and they can't donate it to charity.

One the evening departure from PER it isn't too bad as quite a few passengers just prefer to put the seat in lie-flat once the seat belt sign is extinguished and they skip the dinner service.

Quoting flightsimboy (Reply 17):
y posted pics of the showers

I didn't include them in this post so as not to duplicate what was to reported one the way home.

Hi newbief1yer.
Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment.

Yes, the forward cabin on the A380 is definitely the place to be if you can. One the return flight I was lucky enough to be invited to go even further forward and visited the flightdeck.

Quoting newbief1yer (Reply 18):
Did you avail of the shower services?

Yes. Very refreshing. I have included some photos in the report on the return flight to PER. See If There's A Physician ... A380 Dubai-Perth (by WearyDrover Nov 5 2015 in Trip Reports)

Regards,
Weary