pokfur
Topic Author

Pokfur's Take On Flying Backwards: BA CW LHR-SIN!

Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:01 pm

Background

Quite often, I have this habit of writing trip reports out of sequence because sometimes I just lose interest in what I'm typing... or another trip came up which was more exciting... In this case, this TR is actually Part II of Heading Home Part I: The Fine Old BA Birdy To AMS. (by pokfur Jun 18 2015 in Trip Reports), and this flight took place back in May 2015. If you recall, I had flown a positioning flight to AMS, spent a night there, and was flying back home to Singapore on an Avios-upgraded Business Class flight on BA.

While I've actually typed out the AMS-LHR sector I've decided to just completely ditch it and not include it here. Suffice to say that it was probably one of the most unexciting and uninspiring BA flights ever, except for the fact that it is till date my one and only flight on a sharklet-ed A320. Still not used to such a sight; these huge winglets belong on the 737!

The Flight

This flight would be my first time ever on BA's club world. I was fairly excited but had low expectations. I've heard both good and bad things about Club World, and so I was happy that I had gotten a cheap ex-AMS WTP fare and managed to upgrade with Avios before the devaluation happened. The net output was something like 2000+ Avios which was incredible value. If I was disappointed, I wouldn't be too upset since I didn't pay cash for it. If I was delighted, it would be all the more sweeter  

The trip continued from the above. I had just arrived in LHR from AMS on a beautiful Saturday. Seated at 6F, I was quickly off the aircraft and headed straight for flight connections.

Follow the purple signs!

I was eligible for fast track, which till date had the longest queue I've seen.

Having said that I've heard stories of far worse situations. I had a comfortable 2 hour plus transit time so I wasn't worried at all. Seems like it was a busy saturday mid morning.

Soon, I was beeped through and it was up the escalators for a security check.

This probably went by in typical unfriendly slow Heathrow fashion, and soon I was spewed out into T5.

Lots of people!!

This was my first time seeing T5 heaving with so many people. I guess I've never travelled through Heathrow at such a time of the day before. It was lunch time and I was getting hungry so I headed to the lounge to get some sustenance.

Up up up!!

I remember at the time, uncertain about what work would be like or where it would take me, thinking that it would be a while before I would be back again. Turns out I've already been back through Heathrow 8 times since for work, most recently just last week!

I stepped into the Galleries First lounge and headed straight to the dining area.

Decisions decisions...

I decided to try something new today: -

The Hunter's Chicken.

I remember the chicken being very soft and well-cooked, and tasty. I distinctly remember liking it very much too!

Once done, I moved over by the windows.

Might have had more wine and champagne too...

View of the lounge.

Must've taken this shot while heading to the toilet!

I'm pretty sure I went to take a shower as well, though I have no photographic proof of this. Nevertheless having spent some time in the lounge chilling and filling up, it was time to head over to my gate for departure. There was no doubt that the A380 would depart from either a B or C gates so this necessitated a train ride underground.

Unfortunately, the longest escalators in the whole of Heathrow weren't functioning that day so there were a lot of people heaving their bags down the steps! In hindsight this was actually very risky because someone (or someone's luggage) could have lost their balance and just tumbled down like dunno-how-many steps!! When I finally made it down, it was time to take a train ride!

The automated people mover.

Emerging into the C gates.

Unfortunately by this time BA had stopped giving eligible lounge-goers a £15 credit for Starbucks. They probably figured people were just capitalizing on getting some freebies like coffee mugs and tumblers and coffee beans…   

My gate.

Boarding had yet to begin yet there was already a queue, ironically by priority boarders. I find it strange that only at Heathrow do I see priority boarders queue up to make sure that they're at the front of the priority queue.   Soon, boarding was announced and I made my way forward.

View after being beeped through.

So I have to confess    This A380 you see? It's not actually my aircraft! The one I was about to board was the A380 in the background. My gate was one of those that had an über long jet bridge.

Just one section of the said über long jet bridge.

I made the uphill climb to the upper deck, and was welcomed at the door and directed across the aisle, to the left.

British Airways
BA 1011
LHR-SIN
Airbus A380-800
G-XLEA
Seat 51K

So why was this flight unique? You may have noticed that so far my photographs have all been taken during the day. Yet BA only has two evening/night flights to Singapore - BA 11 and BA 15. So why's the sky so bright? And wait. My flight number is BA 1011??

So yes it turns out this was a one-off day flight for G-XLEA to fly to Singapore for maintenance! That also explained the very light load on today's unique flight.

Bright sunshine!

The cabin crew were still doing their last checks on the cabin when I entered. Oops!

That's my seat 51K right there.

My first impression of the cabin was that BA had done a rather classy job with Club World on the A380. The darker grey seats and shell looked slightly more upmarket, even more so in real life than in the pictures.

My seat, plus the little storage box.

A closer view.

Some of the comments on the A380 upper deck Club World were true. For example, the curved, low ceiling really did get in the way, and I'm by no means tall. At all. On the contrary the side bins were fabulous. But they're fabulous on any upper deck seat anyway.

Legroom.

Storage.

View of the aisle seat. Imagine someone sitting right there.

Random photo of the nice-looking bulkhead.

As mentioned, the load was very light and I had no seat mate. In fact the front upper deck CW cabin was probably filled with something like 6 people.

View from my window.

Very soon after I had settled into my seat, a stewardess popped by my seat. Let's call her Jane.

"Can I get you a drink, Mr. pokfur?" Jane asked.

"Can I have a glass of champagne, and some water, please!" I replied.

Being address by name on BA? Apparently not the norm in Club World and definitely a good start!! Jane disappeared and reappeared shortly with my drinks.

As I sipped on my drinks I explored the seat a bit more.

IFE.

I discovered, for example, that releasing both the screen and the tray table was a bitch. Yes there was a release catch but there was no way to really pry the table and screen out unless one had long, unbreakable fingernails.

View through the divider and across the aisle. I love the white on grey.

View of the cabin.

Passengers had trickled on board and I know there was someone in front of and behind me. Soon, a second flight attendant, let's call her Lucy, came by and distributed menus. Lucy was Singaporean, and it was surprisingly nice to hear a familiar accent having spent 3 weeks in Europe (yes I spent it with my wife but she doesn't count    )

Simple looking menu.

Soon, the captain welcomed us on board, and the safety video was played while our A380 was slowly pushed back from stand.

Pushing back carefully.

Looks like a crab!

I was bored and decided to poke around further, and this time, I pressed the divider button. I was shocked to my core when the mechanism for the divider made an extremely loud whirring noise in the otherwise completely silent cabin and the divider went up. I was so embarrassed but thankfully nobody could see me now   

Shutting the cabin out.

Again it was absolutely true that with the divider up the Club world window seat provided unparalleled privacy. The only other equally private (but much more spacious) seat that I can think of is SQ in Suites!! Speaking of spacious I found the seat width to be very adequate, despite BA squeezing in a ridiculous amount of seats in one row (8 on a 777!). No complaints there.

Ready to go!

The trents spooled up silently as we made our way to the runway.

Dwarfing an A321 from the upper deck.

Hey what's that!!

Apparently that was special livery for the GREAT Festival of Creativity, Shanghai. Fascinating.

Holding just before the runway.

Time for take off!

The Trents whirred to life, and we began out take-off roll. Indeed it was a slightly strange sensation moving backward, but nothing that was overly weird or anything. The Club World seats are already slightly reclined so you won't find yourself toppling forward out of your seat.

Trundling down the runway.

We had a nice slow roll before rotating seemingly rather far down the runway.

Here we go!

Up up and away!

BA galore.

Somehow I felt like we were seriously not climbing very far into the sky.... Perhaps I was too used to rocketing out of LHR on A320s!

Still climbing mildly if you ask me!

Crossing the M25.

Sometime later, we made it through the cloud cover.

The fake-big A380 windows.

The cabin crew were soon released, and Jane came by to hand out amenity kits.

Elemis kit in the form of a wash bag.

Contents. There's an eyeshade hiding under the socks.

However I had brought along my own pair of slippers, so I removed my shoes and donned them for greater comfort!

Footrest down!

I also figured out how to use the footrest. There's actually an instruction sheet for dummies!   

It could be lowered to act more like a leg rest.

At this point in time, Lucy came around and took my order for lunch. Hmm time to consult the menu.

Decisions... Decisions... again.   

Against my better judgement (I've heard horror stories of steak on BA) I went for the steak. Frankly the other options didn't appeal to me at all.

Before service begun, I quickly went to the toilet. In typical A380 fashion, there were two very large toilets at the front of the cabin.

Toilet bowl.

Sink.

Ample space for one (or two?) to do whatever one needed to do!   

Random picture of the aisle seat on my way back.

Back at my seat Jane came around to offer me a hot towel. The FAs have a button at the top to lower the divider so it was quite a shock when it happened the first time, since I didn't even know that she was there. What they would do would be to lower the divider, pass you whatever they need to pass you, then raise it back up again. I can imagine that's especially irritating for the passenger in the aisle seat. While waiting for the service to start I decided to poke around the IFE.

Control and headphone jack conveniently located next to my head.

Jane soon announced her presence by once again lowering the divider.

"Can I get you a drink, Mr pokfur?" she asked kindly.

I thought for a while before requesting for a glass of apple juice and some water. This was accompanied by a pack of nuts. WHIRRRRRRRRRRR went the divider back up.

Pre-meal snack.

I got comfy!   

I let the airshow run while sitting there enjoying the flight. Everything was great so far. The seat was more comfortable than I imagined it to be, the crew were lovely, the A380 was nice, stable, and quiet. I was a ball of happiness.   

Some time later, the meal service began. I decided to just leave my divider down. There wasn't anyone sitting in the aisle seat anyway the whirring noise was beginning to become irritating (yet still shocking). Jane came by with a trolley, and sat my tray down on my table.

"Would you like a drink, Mr pokfur?"

Hmm.. A drink you say?   

Which to choose??

"Actually, could I have a small glass of each of the 3 champagnes?" I asked unashamedly.

"All three??" Jane replied, incredulous. I felt like an insolent child who had asked for too much chocolates    However, before I could stutter a reply, she began picking up a bottle of champagne.

"No problem Mr pokfur. Though I'm not even sure we have three different types of champagne, but here you go with the Taittenger and the Rosé. I'll have a check in the galley and I'll be right back with the third glass!" she said firmly. Gosh, I really thought she was going to scold me like a school teacher would!!

The starters tray.

The crayfish cocktail thing was very nice. The salad, however, I didn't touch, but that's generally because I don't quite like vegetables... Jane soon returned with some bad news.

"Mr pokfur, I have looked all over the galley and have called downstairs to my colleagues working the lower deck Club World cabin but there are no signs of the Castelnau champagne on board. I'm so sorry; the caterers must have missed it out," she said apologetically.

I told her that it was fine and that I was enjoying my 2 glasses of champagne already! In any case I thought it was odd that BA would offer 3 types of champagne on board Club World. Even 2 is already more than most Business Class!

For the main course it was Lucy who came by my seat to clear my plate, and deliver the steak that I had ordered. Time to pick an appropriate wine for the main course!

Wine list

To accompany my meal, I went for a glass of red wine, though I can't remember which. I probably chose the Shiraz - something stronger for the dulled sense on board.

Steak.

I was pretty impressed by the plating of the main course. I expected the steak to appear in a boring white plate but hey look at this stylish grey plate!

Here's a close-up!

I dug into my steak, which expectedly was well-done through and through. But at least it was tasty and wasn't too tough.

Meh.

The condiments paired the steak nicely, and I slowly ate my lunch while enjoying being whisked through the sky at 35,000 feet.

Whee!

Somewhere over Czech Republic having lunch.

Jane came by several times and always made sure my drink was topped up   

Soon, I was done with lunch and was offered a choice between cheese or the torte. Already very very full, I chose the latter.

Orange torte with bitter chocolate sauce. Yummy!!!

This dessert was lovely! Orange and chocolate is one of my favourite combinations so this really hot the spot for me. Halfway through, Jane came around offering tea or coffee, and I went with a cup of coffee to accompany my dessert.

Unfortunately I remember the coffee tasting a bit strange... or at least, not any better than those served in Economy, which was a let down.

Soon, my tray was cleared and I was given a bottle of water to accompany me for the rest of the flight.

I kept the praline as a mid-flight snack!

As the meal service came to an end, the cabin lights were dimmed somewhat and put into a calming sort of mood lighting.

Many passengers had their window shades down but I kept mine open. I was totally wide awake. No chance of sleeping.. Dum di dum, what shall I do now...

Heading towards turkey now, with 9h 45mins to go

It's getting darker outside too, isn't it?

Maybe I should try to sleep? Now it was time to figure out the seat buttons in full detail.

Extremely simple and intuitive. Note how the takeoff/landing position isn't actually the most upright position.

Sun setting at an alarming rate.

Soon, the cabin was plunged into darkness and I decided that perhaps I should try to nap for a while. After all, I'd be arriving into Singapore in the late morning and would have a whole day ahead of me.

My bed for the, uh, daynight.

Lying down.

Somehow, BA has very cleverly made Club World work. This had to be the most private J class bed in the skies. I felt happily encapsulated in my little corner. Seat width was sufficient, seat length was definitely more than enough and I didn't have to stick my feet into some cubby hole somewhere! The seat cushioning was very comfortable too.

Try as I might, though, I couldn't get myself to fall asleep. It seems others couldn't either as a visit to the galley/toilet revealed a little gathering of sorts going on amongst the other passengers. I spied with my little eyes some freshly squeezed orange juice and asked for a glass.

To be honest I was pleasantly surprised that BA had freshly squeezed orange juice. I think my expectations really were way too low!

To pass the time, I put on a movie. I believe it was Rio 2.

Entertaining and quite funny.

I left my divider down during this period and could see Lucy patrolling the cabin occasionally. When my movie had ended and during one of these patrols, she actually stopped by and we had a chat. As mentioned earlier it was nice to have a fellow Singaporean to chat with and I found out that the Singapore crew did mostly the Asian routes where speaking Chinese was required. They would do a sort of W pattern e.g. SIN-LHR-HKG-LHR-SIN or something like that. Sadly, though, it seems that since then BA has decided to close the Singapore base. I hope Lucy and her fellow Singaporean BA crew find a good way out of it!

At the end of our chat, Lucy offered to get me some drinks/snacks so I asked for a cup of hot chocolate which she was more than happy to make for me.

Yummy shortbread biscuits to accompany it.

The moon shining brightly in the night sky.

I spent the next few hours snoozing in my comfortable bed in the sky. I couldn't fall asleep, and got rather bored as seems to be the norm nowadays on these über long day flights. Eventually though, daylight began to stream into the cabin as we transited closer and closer towards GMT +8.

Sunshine!   

And as we sped closer towards Singapore, it was soon time for the second meal service.

Breakfast menu.

Jane was back again! She wished me a cheery good morning and asked me for my choice of starters - the fruit or the muesli. I went for the latter. I was also offered a smoothie to go along with my dish, and some coffee. Lucy followed along shortly with the bread basket and as always for breakfast I opted for the croissant.

Breafast tray all nicely put together!

I have to say both the muesli and croissant were super yummy. That apple compote thing that was on top of the muesli? Heavenly. And the croissant warm and crispy. Unfortunately I hadn't realised that the smoothie contained passionfruit which I dislike so I requested Jane to swap it out for some freshly squeezed orange juice instead. Now my breakfast starter to my breakfast was perfect.   

Mmm I was really enjoying this! When I had lapped everything up, Jane came by to clear my plates, and asked me what I'd like for the main dish. Seeing as this was BA and I had to see how the English breakfast in Club World differed from that in Economy I decide to go for that.

"Absolutely!" Jane said and tottered off to the galley. She returned a while later to deliver my main dish.

Wow!

There was a difference! That sausage looked more succulent, the potatoes fried better, and the bacon thicker. Uh, the tomato looked the same though.

And indeed this English breakfast tasted heavenly! Well, if the British can't do it well then who can, eh?   

No doubt I ate everything up. Ahh and now it was time to "enjoy" another cup of (actually rather bad) coffee while we got closer to Singapore.

In general I find that BA times their meals rather well. Even in Economy they don't wake passengers up too early, and by the time the food is cleared, it's just about 45 mins to 1 hour out from the destination, which to me is acceptable. SQ for example finishes it's second meal nearly 1.5hours out! Still so much time to kill!! Anyway, as a result, we began our descent into Singapore not too long after our meal trays were cleared.

Top of the descent.

Some bridge in Malaysia.

Closer to arrival, the cabin was secured and I packed my stuff and straightened my seat in preparation for arrival.

Another plus point of flying backwards? Photography out of the window was effortless.

Approaching Singapore from the North

Land!

Coming in high over the displaced threshold

Touchdown!!

Our A380 touched down fairly gently on Singapore tarmac and we gently slowed down.

CHANGI!

Slowly lumbering off the runway.

Ah. Home sweet home. It was good to be back but of course it was bittersweet to leave my (then) fiancée behind in the UK. It's all moot of course because she's back home with me for good now    but I remember that bittersweet feeling, and yet also the comforting thought that I'd be flying back to see her again in 3 weeks' time   

There's no place like home.

Going past an SQ birdy on a long taxi route.

And finally on stand.

The seat belt signs were turned off and the passengers got up and prepared to disembark. I thanked Jane and Lucy for the wonderful flight and service before stepping off G-XLEA. Later on, after collecting my luggage, I bumped into the crew again and gave them a delightful wave before grabbing a taxi home.

Conclusion

My inaugural Club World flight flying backwards was definitely something etched quite deeply into my mind (hence I could still write this TR lol!) Jane and Lucy really took care of their passengers and did the best they could throughout the flight. The Club World hard product is a very clever design. It has its downsides, such as the lack of storage space, and for the less agile, the need to climb over someone else, but the upsides of a having very private 'cubicle' (when the divider is up) and having ample space to toss and turn while sleeping in my opinion outweighed the downsides. The food in my opinion was above par, despite the well-cooked steak. All in all this flight far exceeded my expectations and certainly made my Avios upgrade all the more sweeter.

Fortunately, I did manage to upgrade my flight 3 weeks later again to Club World. Unfortunately, that was a fully packed flight and I got to experience the 'typical' Club experience. Less personalised service, that awkward eye contact with the passenger in the aisle seat, the constant up down of the divider, and I even had to queue for the toilets! Nonetheless, it wasn't bad, just obviously not as good as what I had got the first time round. The food was still great, the bed was still comfy, and it was still a very comfortable way to spend 13 hours in the air.

pokfur

Previous (readable) Trip Reports:
Dual Upgrades Part I - GRU-LHR On BA! (by pokfur Feb 13 2016 in Trip Reports)
Lounging In The Latest Lounges In Asia! SIN & HKG (by pokfur Jan 6 2016 in Trip Reports)
Squishy BA 787 And SQ's New Y On The 77W! (by pokfur Sep 25 2015 in Trip Reports)
Heading Home Part I: The Fine Old BA Birdy To AMS. (by pokfur Jun 18 2015 in Trip Reports)
Dirty Dirty BA To Croatia And Explosive EZY Back! (by pokfur Jun 10 2015 in Trip Reports)
An Unexpected TR Featuring BA's LHR Arrival Lounge (by pokfur Jun 4 2015 in Trip Reports)
CX Adventures Part II: Ok Not Just CX... (by pokfur May 1 2015 in Trip Reports)
A Suite Escape: SIN-LHR With SQ (by pokfur Mar 27 2015 in Trip Reports)
CX Adventures Part I: The Old And New J To JFK (by pokfur Mar 20 2015 in Trip Reports)
BA/IB A380/77W/CRJ: Exit Row Or IFE Box? (by pokfur Mar 14 2015 in Trip Reports)
Qatar Widebodies Part 2: The A350! (by pokfur Feb 14 2015 in Trip Reports)
Qatar Widebodies Part 1: 787, A346, And A350? (by pokfur Feb 6 2015 in Trip Reports)
The Qantas Singapore Lounge + BA To Paris! (by pokfur Jan 9 2015 in Trip Reports)
A Roundabout Way Home: IB/BA LCY-MAD-LHR-SIN! (by pokfur Jan 3 2015 in Trip Reports)

lychemsa

RE: Pokfur's Take On Flying Backwards: BA CW LHR-SIN!

Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:43 pm

Can you upgrade from any fare?

allrite

Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:59 pm

Great trip report Pokfur! I'm sure Lucy realised that the three glasses of champers was due to your bubbly personality. 
I like artificial banana essence!

pokfur
Topic Author

Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:48 am

Hello lychemsa

Quoting lychemsa (Reply 1):

Can you upgrade from any fare?

Yes you can upgrade from any WTP fare to Club world. But you can't do a double upgrade from Economy to club world. Upgrades are only 1 class upwards, subject to availability (which sometimes is very very hard to get!)

Hello allrite!

Quoting allrite (Reply 2):

Great trip report Pokfur! I'm sure Lucy realised that the three glasses of champers was due to your bubbly personality. 

LOL! Very Punny...    unfortunately I'm not the greatest fan of Taittenger otherwise I'd have had more!   

pokfur

michaelg90222

Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:14 pm

Excellent trip report as always Pokfur! And the seat looked awesome  
Quoting pokfur (Thread starter):
I find it strange that only at Heathrow do I see priority boarders queue up to make sure that they're at the front of the priority queue

Well we British do love a good queue   

I'm pretty sure I went to take a shower as well, though I have no photographic proof of this

Not sure we would want to see photographic proof of you having a shower   

I was shocked to my core when the mechanism for the divider made an extremely loud whirring noise in the otherwise completely silent cabin

I wonder how this would go down with a fully loaded cabin with many people whirring their dividers up and down...

There was a difference! That sausage looked more succulent, the potatoes fried better, and the bacon thicker. Uh, the tomato looked the same though

That looks so good   

Thanks again for the TR  

Regards

Michael
319 320 321 332 346 717 73G 738 744 763 788 E190 F70 RJ85 MD11 SB20 DH8D AT72
AA AZ BA BE BY CJ D8 FR IB KL KM LA LX MD SA SR T3 U2 V7 WA XZ ZB 2L 4Z

agrflyer

Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:18 pm

was a pleasure to read. Thank you very much.
I will connect through LHR T2 in mid April from ZRH on the way to YYC. I will have 100min between my AC and LX flight. Should be enough...... I hope.....
July 2018, A3 C-Class ZRH-ATH-TLV-ATH-VIE
July 2018, OS C-Class VIE-ZRH
September 2018, ZRH-MXP-VIE-YYZ-LGA / JFK-VIE-ZRH on OS, LX and AC in Y and C

pokfur
Topic Author

Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:23 am

Hello Michael!

Quoting michaelg90222 (Reply 4):
Excellent trip report as always Pokfur! And the seat looked awesome  

Thank you very much Michael! Indeed the seat was a good, functional J seat that goes flat.

Well we British do love a good queue

I thought that was reserved for the Singaporeans!

Not sure we would want to see photographic proof of you having a shower   

Teeheehee how do you know I'm not secretly really hot and hunky?   

I wonder how this would go down with a fully loaded cabin with many people whirring their dividers up and down...

I did experience it on the return flight and I guess you just get used to it after a while? It mostly only happens during the meal times when there's lot of movement, eating noises etc so it just becomes "part of the service" sort of. I also think it wouldn't be so obvious on a less quiet aircraft like the 777   

That looks so good   

It was!   

Thanks again for the TR

No problem. Thanks for dropping a comment!

Hello agrflyer

Quoting agrflyer (Reply 5):
was a pleasure to read. Thank you very much.
I will connect through LHR T2 in mid April from ZRH on the way to YYC. I will have 100min between my AC and LX flight. Should be enough...... I hope.....

I'm glad you enjoyed it   I think you'll have no problem with the transfer. Your ZRH flight will probably park at the main terminal where it'll be an escalator ride up to the security point. I've transited through T2 quite a few times recently and the security line has always been very short. 10-15 mins max. Once done you're spewed into the main terminal where it'll be a 5-15 min walk to the satellite depending on your walking speed where your flight to Canada is most likely to depart from. Hope that helps. Don't worry! In my opinion LHR is still a straightforward airport to transit through  

pokfur

jah718

Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:26 pm

Outstanding TR once again Pokfur. I love the way you describe everything in such detail, I can't wait for the next one.

I have always been reluctant to try BA J, because of a poor reputation, but it really doesn't look so bad. I can imagine that it wouldn't be so much fun in a packed cabin.

pokfur
Topic Author

Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:35 pm

Hello jah718!

Quoting jah718 (Reply 7):
Outstanding TR once again Pokfur.

Thanks for that generous compliment!!

I love the way you describe everything in such detail, I can't wait for the next one.

Takes time to craft but it's worth it if my readers like it! Hmm to be honest I'm not sure if I currently have material for a 'next one'. I haven't been using my camera to take pictures - just my iPhone - so I'll think about whether I want to concoct something.

I have always been reluctant to try BA J, because of a poor reputation, but it really doesn't look so bad. I can imagine that it wouldn't be so much fun in a packed cabin.

Probably still best to go in with lower expectations. I think my flight was definitely an above-average flight. Having said that it's still a decent J otherwise it wouldn't be so packed on a regular flight, typically. Makes sense?   

pokfur

roberts87

Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:13 pm

Hello Pokfur,

Thank you for this nice report, it seems like you had a very enjoyable flight on BA.
From previous reports I sometimes got the impression this seat looked quite cramped, almost claustrophobic but from some of your pictures it does look quite spacious and private.

Thank you for sharing and I look forward to reading more!

joeytaffy93

Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:54 pm

Pokfur, I finally got time to read this one!

Another interesting and well written trip report. I like the way you tell the experiences, I actually had bit of a chuckle at the whole divider section with the whirling noise! Can't take you anywhere..  

So BA Club World beat your expectations the first time around.. I am glad.

I look forward to further trip reports from yourself, maybe I'll do another when I fly CA next month.. Don't see many of them.

ba319-131

Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:13 pm

Nice read & pictures, thanks for sharing.

BA Club World, in my experience form numerous flights is fine, don't expect great CX or SQ service but you get a decent bed to lie out on and get a decent sleep too, if you can sleep that is!

Never had a bad BA CW flight as I keep my expectations where they need to be.

Cheers

Mark
111 732 733 734 735 736 73G 738 739,7M8 BBJ 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 764 772 77L 773 77W L15 D10 D30 D40 AB3 AB6 312 313 318 319 320 20N 321 21N 332 333 342 343 345 346 359 351 388 CS1 CS3 I86 154 SSJ CRJ CR7 CR9 CRK 145 170 175 220

pokfur
Topic Author

Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:30 am

Hello roberts87!

Quoting roberts87 (Reply 9):
Thank you for this nice report, it seems like you had a very enjoyable flight on BA.

You're welcome! Haha yes I did. Seems like many people find that surprising   

From previous reports I sometimes got the impression this seat looked quite cramped, almost claustrophobic but from some of your pictures it does look quite spacious and private

Yeah I think many people are surprised because they can squeeze up to 8 across on a 777, but in general I think it's wide enough and I was quite comfortable. The upper deck side bins helped of course. Maybe on a 777 or lower deck it'd be a little bit more cramped.

Thank you for sharing and I look forward to reading more!

No problem! Thanks for dropping a comment! Maybe an SQ J TR next...   

Hello Joey!!

Quoting JoeyTaffy93 (Reply 10):
Pokfur, I finally got time to read this one!

What took you so long!!!  

Another interesting and well written trip report. I like the way you tell the experiences, I actually had bit of a chuckle at the whole divider section with the whirling noise! Can't take you anywhere..  

Hahaha. I aim to please    Yeah the dividerwas really annoying but a necessary "evil" I suppose.

I look forward to further trip reports from yourself, maybe I'll do another when I fly CA next month.. Don't see many of them

You'd better!!

Hello Mark!

Quoting ba319-131 (Reply 11):
Nice read & pictures, thanks for sharing

Thanks! And thanks for dropping by.

numerous flights is fine, don't expect great CX or SQ service but you get a decent bed to lie out on and get a decent sleep too, if you can sleep that is!

Hahaha I like that caveat there. Yeah you could call BA CW a no-frills J that gives you decent food and a flat bed. The service I got this time was probably a bonus and shows the best of BA, not the typical of BA.

Never had a bad BA CW flight as I keep my expectations where they need to be.

That's a good attitude to take! Although of course with such an expectation then the corresponding cost of the airfare should also be lower. Unfortunately not always the case, especially for direct flights!

pokfur

joeytaffy93

Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:25 am

Quoting pokfur (Reply 12):

What took you so long!!!

Busy man, you know this.  
Yeah the dividerwas really annoying but a necessary "evil" I suppose.

I imagine your face was priceless at that moment in time with the cabin being quiet.

You'd better!!

I won't let you down!   

pokfur
Topic Author

Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:59 am

Hello Joey!

Quoting JoeyTaffy93 (Reply 13):
Busy man, you know this

WAHAHAHA. If you say so.......   

I imagine your face was priceless at that moment in time with the cabin being quiet.

Lol dude I literally jumped in my seat in shock. Thankfully (and ironically) the whirring divider ended up shielding me from shame and embarrassment.   

I won't let you down!

HA! I shall hold you to your word......

pokfur

newbief1yer

Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:46 am

Great TR Pokfur.

Your trip report resonates my experience on the Club world, albeit the 777 and 747. But very similar in terms of top service, above average/very good food, the non ability to sleep even on a very comfortable bed and the great photo op sitting backwards  

Keep it coming!

pokfur
Topic Author

Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:49 pm

Hello newbief1yer!

Quoting newbief1yer (Reply 15):
Great TR Pokfur.

Hey thanks!!

Your trip report resonates my experience on the Club world, albeit the 777 and 747

Ooh. 777, not something I'd really want to try. 747 upper deck on the other hand would be a nice experience!

But very similar in terms of top service, above average/very good food, the non ability to sleep even on a very comfortable bed and the great photo op sitting backwards

Haha that's good to hear! Except for the insomnia part.. It's something that takes getting used to I think for me but lately with more and more long haul work trips I find myself sleeping much better on planes nowadays!

Keep it coming

I'll try!!

pokfur

agrflyer

Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:52 pm

Quoting pokfur (Reply 6):
'm glad you enjoyed it   I think you'll have no problem with the transfer. Your ZRH flight will probably park at the main terminal where it'll be an escalator ride up to the security point. I've transited through T2 quite a few times recently and the security line has always been very short. 10-15 mins max. Once done you're spewed into the main terminal where it'll be a 5-15 min walk to the satellite depending on your walking speed where your flight to Canada is most likely to depart from. Hope that helps. Don't worry! In my opinion LHR is still a straightforward airport to transit through  

When I booked my flight I had to choose between YYZ, FRA or LHR as connecting airport. FRA was always a hassle in the past for me, YYZ was not an option because of the flights schedule and I thought connecting through LHR might be a good to have a look at the new Queen's Terminal and grab a typical English Sandwich between my flights.
July 2018, A3 C-Class ZRH-ATH-TLV-ATH-VIE
July 2018, OS C-Class VIE-ZRH
September 2018, ZRH-MXP-VIE-YYZ-LGA / JFK-VIE-ZRH on OS, LX and AC in Y and C

pokfur
Topic Author

Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:23 am

Hello agrflyer!

Quoting agrflyer (Reply 17):
When I booked my flight I had to choose between YYZ, FRA or LHR as connecting airport. FRA was always a hassle in the past for me, YYZ was not an option because of the flights schedule and I thought connecting through LHR might be a good to have a look at the new Queen's Terminal and grab a typical English Sandwich between my flights

I think you chose well! I'm also not a big fan of FRA; I find it much more crowded.. Or maybe I'm just a lot more used to LHR and also because I speak English and that makes me more comfortable with the place. The idea of an English sandwich sounds great!

I hope you have a smooth and enjoyable connection  

pokfur

newbief1yer

Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:55 pm

Quoting pokfur (Reply 16):
747 upper deck on the other hand would be a nice experience!

+1 on that. My best experience to date.

F9Animal

Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:50 am

Very nice trip report! It looks like BA is doing it right for sure!
I Am A Different Animal!!

pokfur
Topic Author

Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:42 pm

Hello newbief1yer!

Quoting newbief1yer (Reply 19):
+1 on that. My best experience to date.

Aww.. Sounds awesome. Really hope I get to try one before they're gone!

Hello F9Animal!

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 20):
Very nice trip report! It looks like BA is doing it right for sure!

Thanks for stopping by! Yep, they did a great job for this flight definitely!

pokfur

An767

Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:13 am

Long time reader of your reports, love them all . The humour and the pictures always make for a good read. This one included I love the upper deck on the 744 but have never done it back wards , perhaps I should give it a go . As I say I have read them all apart from the one deleted, do you still have a copy I can read ?
Cheers
AN767
If its got wings put me on it. If it floats on water take it away

pokfur
Topic Author

Mon May 16, 2016 10:32 am

Quoting An767 (Reply 22):
Long time reader of your reports, love them all . The humour and the pictures always make for a good read. This one included I love the upper deck on the 744 but have never done it back wards , perhaps I should give it a go . As I say I have read them all apart from the one deleted, do you still have a copy I can read ?

WHOOPS! I totally missed your post from a month ago AN767 Sorry about that. I'm glad you enjoyed the report, and I hope you do get your chance to try BA's Club on the 747. I know I would jump at the chance if I could.

I do have a copy but it probably won't make much sense as there won't be the photographs to accompany it though... You can PM me if you're still interested!  

pokfur

PS: Stay tuned. Writing out a TR and hoping to post it soon!

An767

Mon May 16, 2016 11:47 am

Quoting pokfur (Reply 23):
You can PM me if you're still interested

Hey Pokfur, just sent you PM

An767
If its got wings put me on it. If it floats on water take it away

directorguy

Mon May 16, 2016 2:41 pm

Yet another great TR, pokfur. Thanks for writing and sharing =) Congrats on your nuptials

pokfur
Topic Author

Sat May 21, 2016 2:30 am

Hi directorguy!

Quoting directorguy (Reply 25):
Yet another great TR, pokfur. Thanks for writing and sharing =) Congrats on your nuptials

Thanks, and you're welcome, and thanks!!

pokfur

JakeNorton

Sat May 21, 2016 5:16 am

Great review!! I got a question, how did you get on BA 1011? Do they sell flights even when the aircraft is off for checks?

bill142

Sun May 22, 2016 6:03 am

Quoting JakeNorton (Reply 27):
Great review!! I got a question, how did you get on BA 1011? Do they sell flights even when the aircraft is off for checks?

Yes it will appear as bookable. There's something similar happening BNE-SIN on QF on the 2nd of June. QF53 appears for one day only, so I'm not sure what happening if it's going to SIN for maintenance or for some other reason.

pokfur
Topic Author

Sun May 22, 2016 9:44 am

Hello Jake!

Quoting JakeNorton (Reply 27):

I don't know. I got lucky I guess? BA was selling it on that day like any other revenue service. I just purchased it online!

Hi Bill!

Quoting bill142 (Reply 28):
Yes it will appear as bookable. There's something similar happening BNE-SIN on QF on the 2nd of June. QF53 appears for one day only, so I'm not sure what happening if it's going to SIN for maintenance or for some other reason.

Oh cool! I suppose they figured they might as well earn some extra bucks from flying some passengers as opposed to leaving it empty.

pokfur

JakeNorton

Tue May 24, 2016 8:22 am

Quoting bill142 (Reply 28):

Well spotted! How did you know about the flight?

Quoting pokfur (Reply 29):
I don't know. I got lucky I guess? BA was selling it on that day like any other revenue service. I just purchased it online!

Ok, Thanks pokfur!

bill142

Wed May 25, 2016 12:53 am

Quoting JakeNorton (Reply 30):

By accident. I noticed you posted it on FFA too :P

JakeNorton

Wed May 25, 2016 5:03 am

Quoting bill142 (Reply 31):
By accident. I noticed you posted it on FFA too :P

I would have given credit to you, If I knew you where on the forum. I feel super bad now  Wow! , I'll be onboard the flight, Are you taking it? And yes, I didn't realise my username would become my name on Airliners but oh well!