dunhof
Topic Author

QR First Class DOH-BKK + Al Safwa Lounge (W/video)

Sat May 28, 2016 5:14 am

I travelled in first class on Qatar Airways' A380 from Doha to Bangkok in April. As QR's first class passenger, I had a chance to visit Al Safwa First Lounge at Doha Hamend International Airport  Here is the video link on this report

It is the best airline lounge I have ever visited so far. It was less than 10 passengers in the lounge during my stay, as I been told, due to the lounge is only for passengers who are travelling on QR's first class.

Al Safwa First Lounge at Doha International Airport

After I walked around the lounge, I went to the spa and asked for a room to take shower. It is a small hotel room lay out with TV, single bed, ensuite shower and toilet.

QR SPA Room

After a relax and comfortable hot shower, I headed to the lounge dinning area. They offer an a la carte service. Since I was not so hungry, I ordered a lamb soup only.

First Dinning

What a shame that I only got 2 hours transit time at Doha. I can hang out there for hours...  

I boarded on Qatar Airways' A380, flight QR836 to Bangkok. The first class cabin has eight seats and is located in the front of upper deck. Here is my seat 1K  
Qatar Airways First Class on A380, seat 1K

I had visited the first class lavatory and got change on my pajama soon after our flight took off. It is a spacious lavatory.

QR's lavatory

It was 2:15am local time. I was really tired and decided to straight head to bed. The crew are very nice to set my bed on the seat next to me since there was only 3 passengers in first class on this flight.

My bed

I had a good sleep and woke up 2,5 hours before landing. The lovely crew came to me and asked if I would like to have some meals. I read the menu and asked if I can have caviar for breakfast. Here is the picture of my meal  
Caviar

The flight landed at BKK on time. What a wonderful flight experience. No doubt that Qatar Airways have a top class facility at Doha Airport and one of the best products on the market. I have been travelled on Etihad and Emirates first class. I agreed that Qatar Airways' service is top of those three Middle East airlines but to compare with their first class seats, I prefer the other two which I can fully close my seat and got more privacy.

Here is the video link on this report

Welcome for any comment and advise which surely can help me to improve my video and report. If you like my video on my youtube channel, welcome to subscribe my channel. I truly appreciated.

[Edited 2016-05-27 22:46:26]

smi0006

RE: QR First Class DOH-BKK + Al Safwa Lounge (W/video)

Sat May 28, 2016 5:43 am

Thank you for the report - Amazing flight! And the seat and cabin look great.

But I just can't warm to that lounge. Looks beautifully finished, but somewhat too open and cold. A bit bright perhaps as well? May the design doesn't translate well into pictures?

HGL

Sat May 28, 2016 10:40 am

Hallo Dunhof,

The lounge looks like a pleasant place to spend a couple of hours between flights. It is certainly less flamboyant than the First Class Lounge in Concourse A in DXB.

The A380 cabin looks good. With the suite not being fully enclosed, it appears to offer more space. Nice touch of the cabin crew to make up the seat opposite as a bed.

Sorry but I can't offer any advice on videos as I haven't yet graduated to a Gopro or similar. Maybe one day?

Regards,
HGL
Qui omnes despicit, omnibus displicit.

dunhof
Topic Author

Sat May 28, 2016 5:21 pm

Thanks smi0006,

Quoting smi0006 (Reply 1):
But I just can't warm to that lounge. Looks beautifully finished, but somewhat too open and cold. A bit bright perhaps as well? May the design doesn't translate well into pictures?

Agreed! The lounge is too open, maybe too quiet. That's why it looks too cold. Only QR's A380 got first class seats. It maybe feel more warmer if got more people use it. I had seen two first class passengers from BA have been refused to enter the lounge when I checked-in there. But BA allows other one world alliance airliners' members use their Concorde Lounge at Heathrow...

Thanks HGL,

Quoting HGL (Reply 2):
Sorry but I can't offer any advice on videos as I haven't yet graduated to a Gopro or similar. Maybe one day?

I used my iPhone 6s and a wide angle lens to film this video  

bastew

Sun May 29, 2016 10:00 pm

Great trip report!

RE: Access to the QR Al Aafwa lounge - The business cabin for all the intra gulf flights (even as far as DOH-CAI) are oddly branded 'First Class' instead of 'Business'. So if you are flying in Business Class say DOH-CAI you are in fact in 'First' as far as the ticketing goes and have access to the Al Safwa. Fly in exactly the same seat on the same aircraft DOH-BKK and you are in 'Business' and only have access to Al Maurjan.

RE BA and the Concorde Room - these only exist at LHR T5 (BA/IB only) as well as JFK T7. Both only allow access to BA First Class passengers and 'Concorde room' cardholders.

Fiend

Re: QR First Class DOH-BKK + Al Safwa Lounge (W/video)

Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:46 am

It's such a shame that QR swapping the A380 for 777's on the BKK route....I've had QR A380's into BKK twice
BAC 1-11, A300, A320, A321, A330, A340, A350, A380, B737, B747, B757, B777, B787, L1011, Fokker 100, ATR 72, MD83

bps3458

Re: QR First Class DOH-BKK + Al Safwa Lounge (W/video)

Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:54 am

I am flying QR 909 SYD-DOH in business on Sunday and connecting to AUH and will be in first on QR 1044 from Doha to Abu Dhabi. I am Qantas platinum. First time flying QR so tell me if I will have access to the Al Safwa First Lounge ?

Cheers from Brisbane,

Peter