Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

sv11
Topic Author

Flying On The 757

Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:07 am

Over the memorial weekend I got an opportunity to fly EWR to SFO and back on United 757-200. UA's 757 with RR engines are deployed on this route with lie flat beds in business class and AVOD in economy class. BoB dinner was available in economy class.

UA936
EWR-SFO
5 hours 50 min flying time

The security check at EWR went by quickly as there were canines that were sniffing the carry ons and TSA didn't ask folks to remove shoes or laptops. Cargo was loaded on the 757. Not sure if a 737-900er/A321 can carry adequate cargo on this route. Boarding was done by groups 1-5. By the time group 3 was done the carry on space was full. The rest of the passenger's carry ons were checked in. Not sure if this a problem with just the 757 due to old overhead bins or if newer planes also have this problem. The flight was nearly full. The taxi to the runway took about 40 minutes on a Fri evening. Then the powerful RR engines took the plane quickly to 37K feet. Some water dripped from the ceiling during takeoff but it soon stopped. I didn't hear any whine from the RR engines. AVOD was available in economy class with around 50 movies. Watched the new Star Wars movie and the Big Short movie. The flight attendants came around and asked if we would like to buy anything for dinner. The vegetarian menu was a lot to desire with only a cheese plate and tapas snack box available for dinner, which we selected. Originally I thought UA offered vegetarian pasta. The temperature in the cabin was kept at comfortable level. The flight went by quickly as I was watching the two movies and in no time we were headed to land in SFO.

UA 726
SFO-EWR
5 hrs 15 min flying time

This was a redeye flight. Took an Uber ride from Santa Clara to SFO. The 36 mile ride cost only $40. The airport security at SFO went by quickly eventhough we had to remove shoes and laptops this time. Ate dinner at San Francisco Soup Company-they had a good variety of vegetarian soups with bread. Went to sleep as soon as we boarded and woke up after 4 hours. I could see Staten Island, Verrazano Narrows Bridge and IKEA by the airport as the 757 approached EWR and landed. Took an Uber ride home, got ready and went to work.

Conclusion : As I booked tickets well in advance (almost 2 months) before memorial day, was able to find a reasonable fare. United had good AVOD in economy on this flight but they need to improve the vegetarian BoB options for dinner. The 757 runs out of carry-on space on a full flight (maybe others also) but it is nice to fly this fabulous and powerful aircraft while they are still in service. Considering Continental got a lot of these aircraft around 1998, they will hopefully be in service for another 8 years or so. Would be interesting to see how the 737-10 turns out and whether it can do RDU-CDG like the 757. United's 757s could also use a larger carry on bin that can accomodate carry ons in vertical position.

sv11

sv11
Topic Author

RE: Flying On The 757

Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:12 am

Hi,
Please move this to Trip Reports forum.

Regards,
sv11

blacksoviet

Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:44 am

I am sure they are losing money by only offering tapas boxes to vegetarians. I'm sure the other major carriers offer more vegetarian options on a transcon flight. What was in the tapas box? Was there anything vegan?

I got to fly first class (transcon) on an AA 757 about 11 years ago. Those old first class seats were very comfortable.

[Edited 2016-06-03 23:47:05]

sv11
Topic Author

Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:02 pm

Hi,
The Tapas box had some bunch of crackers, olives, humus, parmesan cheese.

Regards,
sv11

jeffrey1970

Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:07 pm

Quoting sv11 (Reply 1):
Would be interesting to see how the 737-10 turns out and whether it can do RDU-CDG like the 757.

I don't see why an airline can't make it work using the 737-10 on trips to Europe from the east coast. As for passenger comfort I think it would be no different then flying on a 757 to Europe.
God bless through Jesus, Jeff