FlyinRabbit88
Topic Author

“Off duty” TSA agent jumped/committed suicide from Hyatt balcony into atrium @MCO

Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:44 pm

Delays / Ground stop at MCO. Someone committed suicide from the Hyatt balcony. *Update* Now confirmed off duty TSA agent. Created a security breach and now everyone is being evacuated and rescreened from the airside 2/4 gates. Massive delays for Southwest and Delta.

https://heavy.com/news/2019/02/orlando- ... ity-delay/
Last edited by FlyinRabbit88 on Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

GEUltraFan9XGTF

Re: Someone jumped from Hyatt balcony into atrium @MCO

Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:48 pm

FlyinRabbit88 wrote:
Delays / Ground stop at MCO. Someone committed suicide from the Hyatt balcony. Rumored to have been a TSA agent.

Caused indirectly by no January paychecks?
© 2019. All statements are my own. The use of my statements, including by journalists, YouTube vloggers like "DJ's Aviation", etc. without my written consent is strictly prohibited.

YoungDon

Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:12 pm

GEUltraFan9XGTF wrote:
FlyinRabbit88 wrote:
Delays / Ground stop at MCO. Someone committed suicide from the Hyatt balcony. Rumored to have been a TSA agent.

Wouldn't be shocked. RIP...

PlanesNTrains

Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:15 pm

YoungDon wrote:
GEUltraFan9XGTF wrote:
FlyinRabbit88 wrote:

Having talked to numerous people going through the gov shutdown issues, it sure didn’t seem like most were desperate or despondent. Mostly they just wanted to make sure they could get various bills extended etc. With money starting to flow again, it’s seem like things were improving.

What a sad way to go, though.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

TheOldDude

Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:28 pm

GEUltraFan9XGTF wrote:
FlyinRabbit88 wrote:

There's no evidence of that. I'd say the speculation regarding causality is far afield because there were 800,000 feds not getting a paycheck and the suicide rate in the US is about 14 per 100,000.

Still, this is a tragic event that never should have happened.

ltbewr

Re: “Off duty” TSA agent jumped/committed suicide from Hyatt balcony into atrium @MCO

Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:29 pm

Most likely if a suicide this person already had serious problems in their life, possibly inducing family/marital problems, underlying depression, in a very stressful job, in serious debt, perhaps facing a disciplinary action and the lack of timely paychecks just literally tipped them over the edge. That they did it into a secure area was likely intended to be a public message as to the partial shutdown. Sadly his actions do disrupt the airport operations but was the correct thing to do for his dignity and to verify what happened was not a public risk.
While statistically, TSA agents likely have similar rates of suicide as the general public, this possible suicide does raise concerns as to the job stress, low pay and the affects of the partial shutdown on them and their duty to protect the public.

Jouhou

Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:33 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:
YoungDon wrote:
GEUltraFan9XGTF wrote:

Having talked to numerous people going through the gov shutdown issues, it sure didn’t seem like most were desperate or despondent. Mostly they just wanted to make sure they could get various bills extended etc. With money starting to flow again, it’s seem like things were improving.

Government work is pretty thankless. I've had too many co-workers take their own lives.

PlanesNTrains

Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:37 pm

Jouhou wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:
YoungDon wrote:

Government work is pretty thankless. I've had too many co-workers take their own lives.

I don’t doubt it.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:55 pm

Jouhou wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:
YoungDon wrote:

What? When I was still in the AF, I was getting “thank you for your service” to the point of embarrassment. Even ATC controllers were doing and we all worked for the same government. Now, the combat veteran suicide rate is a tragedy and related to real stress.

GF

Jouhou

Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:02 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Jouhou wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:

What? When I was still in the AF, I was getting “thank you for your service” to the point of embarrassment. Even ATC controllers were doing and we all worked for the same government. Now, the combat veteran suicide rate is a tragedy and related to real stress.

GF

I work with a mix of active duty military, veterans, civilians who never served in the military. We give as much support as we can to the guys who came back from the middle east missing body parts, and it ends up not being them who commit suicide. It's the civilians that no one realized they needed to worry about, so no one was proactively trying to be supportive of them.

MalevTU134

Re: “Off duty” TSA agent jumped/committed suicide from Hyatt balcony into atrium @MCO

Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:17 pm

ltbewr wrote:
Most likely if a suicide this person already had serious problems in their life, possibly inducing family/marital problems, underlying depression, in a very stressful job, in serious debt, perhaps facing a disciplinary action and the lack of timely paychecks just literally tipped them over the edge. That they did it into a secure area was likely intended to be a public message as to the partial shutdown. Sadly his actions do disrupt the airport operations but was the correct thing to do for his dignity and to verify what happened was not a public risk.
While statistically, TSA agents likely have similar rates of suicide as the general public, this possible suicide does raise concerns as to the job stress, low pay and the affects of the partial shutdown on them and their duty to protect the public.

If (s)he jumped from the Hyatt, then it wouldn't be into a secure area but rather into the atrium (as the title says), which is where the lines for TSA checks form for the B gates.

StuckinCMHland

Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:32 pm

Why don't we stop the bickering, cool down the anger and pray for the person's family? The person who died is in God's hands. As a minister who has stood in front of a family mourning someone who committed suicide and try to bring them some comfort more than once this whole thread is pretty close to obscene. If you have never been involved with something like this please don't make it worse, especially if other posters or readers on this site have gone through it and read some of these comments/arguments.

Thank you for stopping the conversation's direction.

Ionosphere

Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:01 am

It's sad that people feel like this is the only way out. An Emirates FA last year committed suicide jumping out of a 777 with a glass bottle under her chin in Entebbe.

maps4ltd

Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:27 am

I don't know how to feel. On one hand, I empathize with the TSA agent's struggles. He may or may not have been in his right mind, but I do believe everyone has a purpose in this world.

On the other hand, think of how many children and families on vacation finished up their trip with the sight of a destroyed body lying on the atrium floor. This kind of suicide is just plain cowardly.

On another note, why have some of the more hateful posts been allowed to linger for hours on end?
Delta Gold Medallion

atcsundevil

Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:46 am

Discuss the topic respectfully, or your post will be removed and you may be banned. Some of the comments made in this thread have been downright shameful. Be respectful, or don't post.

✈️ atcsundevil

PBITran

Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:05 am

atcsundevil wrote:
Discuss the topic respectfully, or your post will be removed and you may be banned. Some of the comments made in this thread have been downright shameful. Be respectful, or don't post.

✈️ atcsundevil

how is saying that someone had issues and was facing disciplinary action disrespectful?

Planeflyer

Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:07 am

YoungDon wrote:
GEUltraFan9XGTF wrote:
FlyinRabbit88 wrote:

Wow, suicide is way more desperate than a few late pay checks.

CairnterriAIR

Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:10 am

PBITran wrote:
atcsundevil wrote:

✈️ atcsundevil

how is saying that someone had issues and was facing disciplinary action disrespectful?

He was not referring to that, but rather several other very disrespectful posts which have since been deleted.

atcsundevil

Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:32 am

PBITran wrote:
atcsundevil wrote:

✈️ atcsundevil

Comments which remain in the thread are not what I'm referring to. Several users made a number of posts in extremely poor taste. Those posts have obviously been removed.

rbavfan

Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:18 am

TheOldDude wrote:
GEUltraFan9XGTF wrote:
FlyinRabbit88 wrote:

There's no evidence of that. I'd say the speculation regarding causality is far afield because there were 800,000 feds not getting a paycheck and the suicide rate in the US is about 14 per 100,000.

Still, this is a tragic event that never should have happened.

No way to assess your information as you left out if that was per day, per week , per month or per year. As stated it's an excuse to post random useless numbers.

PBITran

Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:27 am

atcsundevil wrote:
PBITran wrote:
atcsundevil wrote:

✈️ atcsundevil

Comments which remain in the thread are not what I'm referring to. Several users made a number of posts in extremely poor taste. Those posts have obviously been removed.

my comment was removed, oh well. he was highly functioning autistic according to a coworker and had just been in yet another one of MCO's famous meetings with management. He was TSA since the beginning, having come from the DC area as a transfer. I didn't know him, I got out of that airport as fast as I could.

spacecadet

Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:38 am

Why is "off duty" in quotes in the thread title? Is there some question as to whether or not he was actually on duty?
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

jfklganyc

Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:29 pm

What if he would have hit somebody on the ground?

What if your kid saw this?

What if you saw this?

Those familiar with this area in MCO know how crowded it is.

Suicide is NOT a selfish option, but a desparate one.

But this gentleman, while taking his life, put others (including children returning from the Mouse House) directly in his path.

mcdu

Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:08 pm

spacecadet wrote:
Why is "off duty" in quotes in the thread title? Is there some question as to whether or not he was actually on duty?

My thoughts are “off duty” would indicate he wasn’t on his lunch break. So many possibilities for why you choose to do this at your work location. I’m a proponent of those in aviation and especially security should have mandatory yearly psychological exams. It is the elephant in the room no one wants to recognize. But incidents like Germanwings and this TSA agent prove there is a need.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos