Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

kaitak
Topic Author

Irish 6/20: The behemoth reawakens ...

Sun May 31, 2020 3:06 pm

Well, good afternoon everyone and welcome to our June 2020 thread: after a painfully quiet April and May, it looks like the slumbering giant that is aviation is finally starting to stir into some kind of activity. Of course, it hasn't been a complete shutdown, but with traffic down 90-95%, it's as good as.

Here's a link to the last thread in case anyone wants to look back ...
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1445473

... but let's focus on looking forward. The shoots of new growth are already evident, with many carriers looking to add service and on top of that (most importantly, it's likely that quarantine rules are likely to relax, which is crucial to flights restarting. Everything, of course, it uncharted territory, but with pax wearing masks, social distancing at airports (which is going to be difficult) and crews wearing various forms of Hazmat protection, it's going to be a very different aviation than the one we saw in Q1 - and we'll just have to get used to it, but after what've been through, any restart is welcome.

We can only hope that the restart is successful and that things will gather speed; airlines will, of course, be offering a lot of good deals and will be anxious to get the country flying again, in every sense. The economy has taken a walloping - everywhere, but hopefully growth in one area can lead to growth in others and gradually, people can get back to work. I would imagine that after the lockdown, there will be many who will want to take advantage of city breaks, even if longer holidays abroad are put off.

OK folks, lining up, and awaiting clearance ...

OA260

Re: Irish 6/20: The behemoth reawakens ...

Sun May 31, 2020 3:15 pm

Shannon Airport seeks recovery package as Donohoe says he will speak to Aer Lingus

Shannon Airport is seeking a financial support package from the Government after a collapse in its traffic and the decision by Aer Lingus to lay off staff at the mid-west airport.

Minister for Finance Paschal Donohoe has also pledged to speak with Aer Lingus about the matter. If the airport cannot convince Aer Lingus to resurrect its now cancelled London Heathrow service - using the valuable slots at that airport that were a key part of the government's deal to sell Aer Lingus to IAG - the airport faces a huge crisis, according to sources.

https://amp.independent.ie/business/iri ... 45669.html

factsonly

Sun May 31, 2020 3:23 pm

June 1st, 2020:

EI plans a double AMS departure this morning ........is this to avoid a repeat incidence of high load factors, as witnessed on BHD-LHR recently ??

- 07:00 Amsterdam EI602 Aer Lingus Check-in
- 07:10 Amsterdam EI2602 Aer Lingus Check-in

https://www.dublinairport.com/flight-in ... departures

AmricanShamrok

Sun May 31, 2020 6:09 pm

An update on NOC: there appear to be two route casualties when FR resumes flights in July. The resumption of NOC-GRO is cancelled for the season and the new route to CGN, to be operated by Malta Air, will also not operate this year.

Eagleboy

Sun May 31, 2020 8:38 pm

factsonly wrote:
June 1st, 2020:
EI plans a double AMS departure this morning ........is this to avoid a repeat incidence of high load factors, as witnessed on BHD-LHR recently ??

https://www.dublinairport.com/flight-in ... departures

Seems pretty much that reason. Nothing else I can think that would require departures 10 mins apart.

Slightly related, here is the new EI video regarding new procedures in place;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2S4ugFQ0yk

FR version from last week;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-43qNLX_cCI

KIRFlyer

Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:26 am

Eagleboy wrote:

Slightly related, here is the new EI video regarding new procedures in place;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2S4ugFQ0yk

FR version from last week;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-43qNLX_cCI

Is it just me, or does the Aer Lingus one instill more confidence. Much more professional, and caring for their passenger. Their video makes me want to fly one of their aircraft in the morning. The Ryanair one......not so much!

BrianDromey

Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:51 am

KIRFlyer wrote:
Is it just me, or does the Aer Lingus one instill more confidence. Much more professional, and caring for their passenger. Their video makes me want to fly one of their aircraft in the morning. The Ryanair one......not so much!

I’d agree with that. It seems the journey has been thought through from beginning to end. Mention of social distancing on-board is noticeably absent however. I think ma’am +|- social distancing is going to be the standard going forward indoors.

OA260

Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:35 am

The proof will be in the pudding as they say. Videos are all well and good but only if people adhere to the measures. While most passengers will do what they are supposed to there will always be some who don't think it applies to them. Hopefully there will be enforcement throughout the process. There needs to be a zero tolerance policy.

ClassicLover

Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:42 am

KIRFlyer wrote:

Well Aer Lingus did do theirs second, so they would have seen the competition's one and moved accordingly. No doubt the two week period in between videos was put to good use.

My main take away though? Not to fly Aer Lingus as they're not doing any on board catering. It's good to see that Ryanair are. I live for the food service on flights and I am always happy to pay. It passes the time and you get to interact with the crew a little. No on board service is a thumbs down from me.

It's similar with BA at the moment, so there's no way I'm booking a Club ticket until the on board service is restored.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

Skyblue39

Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:15 pm

Lufthansa have their first flight into DUB today (from FRA) since they cancelled all flights across their European network a number of weeks ago.

AmricanShamrok

Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:28 pm

Skyblue39 wrote:
Lufthansa have their first flight into DUB today (from FRA) since they cancelled all flights across their European network a number of weeks ago.

Good to see. LH is due to resume service at SNN on 4th July. :crossfingers:

dstc47

Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:58 pm

Ryanair associated company Malta Air to make 60 redundant, about one third of the workforce.

shamrock350

Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:01 pm

The Aer Lingus video is indeed much more professional and very much in keeping with their brand and reputation. A lot of it is likely thanks to the great media team they have, they pretty much always get the tone right.

The Aer Lingus video features the basics, there’s nothing new or groundbreaking that we haven’t seen from other respectable airlines but it’s been packaged in a warm and genuine way. The Ryanair video also features most of the basics but it’s combined with up selling. The decision to carry on selling food and drink, but handing it to passengers with a flimsy tissue, is questionable at best. It sends the message that while Aer Lingus wants to reduce interaction for everyone’s safety, Ryanair just wants your cash and will do the bare minimum to make you feel safe.

Personally, I can go without food on a 1-2 hour flight. I only ever bought something on Aer Lingus because they have a nice range and it’s part of the experience but flying will no longer be about the experience for the foreseeable, I will only fly when I absolutely need to and I’ll only fly with an airline that I have confidence in when it comes to health and safety, so far Ryanair and the comments from its CEO have done little to encourage that.

OA260

Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:05 pm

Storage Versus Part-Out In Europe

''Ireland’s Eirtrade Aviation has no doubt more tear downs are coming. The company disassembles aircraft, sells materials, supports lease transitions and does training, explains CEO Ken Fitzgibbon. “This year, I’m calling myself Father Fitzgibbon because I bury aircraft,” he says.

The Eirtade CEO says he is getting plenty of enquiries about tear downs now. “I just got a call about an A330.” EirTrade’s Nock facility has torn down ATRs and 757s and now has an A380 awaiting disassembly. “We may have another A380 coming in too.”

Airlines are failing, and Fitzgibbon says one or two lessors are in difficulties as well with A330s. “They can’t get their people into the field for repossession since they have to go into quarantine for 14 days when they arrive.”

So Eirtrade is building up its pipeline for disassembly, and Fitzgibbon says he would like to do two to three per month.

One advantage the company has is its location in Ireland, as many lessors are located in the country and lessors like to keep their eyes on their assets, whether the assets are in one piece or many. “In Arizona, they can’t see their assets,” Fitzgibbon notes. “And Ireland is very tax-efficient.”
And Nock airport is quiet, handling about 800,000 passengers a year, yet is close to major European traffic centers.''
''
https://aviationweek.com/mro/storage-ve ... out-europe

ClassicLover

Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:20 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
The Ryanair video also features most of the basics but it’s combined with up selling. The decision to carry on selling food and drink, but handing it to passengers with a flimsy tissue, is questionable at best.

The upsell did make me laugh as it's so Ryanair. "Make sure you buy priority and two cabin bags" and "purchase Fast-Track to reduce queuing". I mean, when flying Ryanair I do just that because I hate waiting in queues and I like to be on board quickly, but it seems like they want everyone to do that. They never lose an opportunity!

Sorry, but various airlines around the world are still operating a near full on board meal service during the pandemic. It is completely an airline decision and I don't believe cancelling on board catering makes things any safer.

You might as well cancel supermarkets if you're going to do that, because someone packs the stuff into a box, the box goes into a truck, the truck is unloaded at the supermarket, then it's all put onto a distribution trolley, where it is then put onto the shelves. All of that is people touching items and you don't see anyone griping about those hazards, do you?

I also feel for the supply chain - there are people out of work thanks to these decisions (food preparation and catering staff), so let's hope Aer Lingus and other airlines get back to serving on board refreshments sooner rather than later for everyone's sake.

OA260 wrote:
The Eirtade CEO says he is getting plenty of enquiries about tear downs now. “I just got a call about an A330.” EirTrade’s Nock facility has torn down ATRs and 757s and now has an A380 awaiting disassembly. “We may have another A380 coming in too.”

And Nock airport is quiet, handling about 800,000 passengers a year, yet is close to major European traffic centers.''

Great article! Is it just me or do articles lose a lot of credibility when they make basic spelling errors like calling Knock "Nock". Surely the author would have looked up the location. Next he'll be using aircrafts...

BrianDromey

Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:44 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
The upsell did make me laugh as it's so Ryanair. "Make sure you buy priority and two cabin bags" and "purchase Fast-Track to reduce queuing". I mean, when flying Ryanair I do just that because I hate waiting in queues and I like to be on board quickly, but it seems like they want everyone to do that. They never lose an opportunity!

Sorry, but various airlines around the world are still operating a near full on board meal service during the pandemic. It is completely an airline decision and I don't believe cancelling on board catering makes things any safer.

If airlines are requiring masks on board then providing cabin service is incompatable with that. Eating and drinking anent thought to be high risk activities in themselves, but they do encourage touching the mouth and face, rubbish is also generated. Time spent providing service also increases the risk for crews. I don't think this is a cost-cutting exercise at EI - after all they loose additional revenue from not selling shelf-stable items. For the next few months the experience when flying will be nothing more than essential transport. Hopefully as normality resumes things will get better.

By the way I do think most of this is an exercise in perception, rather than making any quantifiable reduction in risk. But humans are not good at accurately quantifying risk and mounting a proportional response, which is why the 'rules' very so much by country, seemingly independently of incidence ,prevalence or mortality rate for that place.

OA260

Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:41 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
OA260 wrote:

Great article! Is it just me or do articles lose a lot of credibility when they make basic spelling errors like calling Knock "Nock". Surely the author would have looked up the location. Next he'll be using aircrafts...

Indeed I did think about changing that and the other mistake but then it is not my article so would be wrong to do so.

With regards catering I agree that its always a nice part of the experience but the times we are in I have come to the conclusion like others that for the next number of months essential travel only ( of course subject to current situations and how things pan out ) and basically flying is going to be a very basic form of travel. When the Irish government allows it I will only be going to friends and family where if there is another lockdown Im not stranded with no where to stay and no way to get back. I think that any future lock down will be fast and within hours not days. Good thing I have some nice destinations that meet my personal criteria :)

ClassicLover

Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:36 pm

BrianDromey wrote:
By the way I do think most of this is an exercise in perception, rather than making any quantifiable reduction in risk.

I agree with you that much of it is for show... to make both the staff and the passengers feel better. I mean, considering the amount of people who don't strictly socially distance when out and about, if it were that big a deal, we would already be being told to do more, or the lockdown would be harsher ("home delivery only shopping" for example).

OA260 wrote:
When the Irish government allows it I will only be going to friends and family where if there is another lockdown Im not stranded with no where to stay and no way to get back. I think that any future lock down will be fast and within hours not days. Good thing I have some nice destinations that meet my personal criteria :)

That makes sense, my travel will be of a similar pattern. I plan on visiting France in September if travel restrictions are lifted in time, as I'll be staying with friends there. Same for Australia in November, staying with family. The only concern I have is the 14 day quarantine on arrival. If that is still in place in Australia, I will have to push it out to next year, as I'm not staying in a hotel for 14 days on arrival. If it's stay at my parents for 14 days, that's no problem and I'll still travel. When I rebooked my QR flights (to come straight back to Dublin) they added my Australian Passport to the booking. Apparently they are only allowing bookings for residents there at the moment. It's all in flux at the moment.

Vicenza

Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:57 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
The Aer Lingus video is indeed much more professional and very much in keeping with their brand and reputation. A lot of it is likely thanks to the great media team they have, they pretty much always get the tone right.

, but handing it to passengers with a flimsy tissue, is questionable at best. It sends the message that while Aer Lingus wants to reduce interaction for everyone’s safety, Ryanair just wants your cash and will do the bare minimum to make you feel safe.

Pity they don't put the 'message' into practice though.....'show' is one thing, but aren't you forgetting the debacle on a recent BHD-LHR flight, and the exact opposite of what you're claiming?

Fliplot

Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:42 pm

Were the current guidelines in place when the BHD-LHR flight took place? I think not and at that time the UK was still dithering! No doubt it will take a little time for the requirements to settle!

concordeforever

Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:48 pm

dstc47 wrote:
Ryanair associated company Malta Air to make 60 redundant, about one third of the workforce.

Do they really only have 180 staff?

They have 120 737s, or have a got something mixed up here?

shamrock350

Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:44 pm

Vicenza wrote:
shamrock350 wrote:

, but handing it to passengers with a flimsy tissue, is questionable at best. It sends the message that while Aer Lingus wants to reduce interaction for everyone’s safety, Ryanair just wants your cash and will do the bare minimum to make you feel safe.

Pity they don't put the 'message' into practice though.....'show' is one thing, but aren't you forgetting the debacle on a recent BHD-LHR flight, and the exact opposite of what you're claiming?

That happened a month ago and the airline quickly responded, saying that it would review its operations and implement new procedures, which this recently released video is now highlighting.

Lets not forget Ryanair was also accused of ignoring social distancing measures after it operated a full flight of fruit pickers from Bulgaria to Ireland, chartered by Keelings. How did Ryanair respond I hear you ask? They didn't.

Neither airline did anything wrong when you consider the official rules, there were none specifically directed at aviation so at most they went against the spirit of the rules. However, Aer Lingus has at least appeared to rectify their mistake and implement new policies, this is important at a time when you need to rebuild confidence in flying.

OA260

Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:10 am

ASL Aviation CEO Hugh Flynn to retire after 22 years

Irish airline group ASL Aviation says its chief executive for the past 22 years, Hugh Flynn, will retire next month.

His departure comes a year after fund manager Star Capital bought the Swords-based ASL in a deal reportedly topping €200m.

ASL operates four airlines in Ireland, Belgium, France and Hungary and two affiliated airlines in Africa and Asia that carry a mix of passengers and cargo. Its clients include Aer Lingus, DHL and FedEx.

https://amp.independent.ie/business/iri ... 51366.html

BrianDromey

Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:42 am

Vicenza wrote:

Not really. There are no rules that require social distancing on aircraft, or other forms of transport. It’s “where possible” and wear a mask.

Interestingly the ICAO have released guidelines for airlines today, very much along the same lines as EI and FR have been operating.
https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0602/11448 ... -aviation/

1) OLCI and contactless airports, face masks at all times
2) Redesigned security queues and procedures
3) Boarding in small groups with luggage limited to one small piece of hand luggage only.
4) Middle seat does NOT have to be left free, but spaces best used to optimise distance between groups. (This makes more sense than a blanket middle seat free to me)
5) Limited service and no on-board magazines

It’s clear that air travel will be a chore for the immediate future, with reduced or no cabin service and arduous immigration and health checks. Even TK are reducing cabin service to pre-packed snack boxes on 2-8 hours and a mezze plate on 8hrs plus.

dstc47

Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:15 am

concordeforever wrote:
dstc47 wrote:

Redundancies and the size of workforce for Malta Air as are reported by the Times of Malta and other local media.
Wikepedia suggest 118 aircraft, which seems very unlikely - they started with 6 but does anyone have a certain figure. Of course many serving might be contractors, "self employed" etc.

iRISH251

Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:20 am

dstc47 wrote:
concordeforever wrote:
dstc47 wrote:

Redundancies and the size of workforce for Malta Air as are reported by the Times of Malta and other local media.
Wikepedia suggest 118 aircraft, which seems very unlikely - they started with 6 but does anyone have a certain figure. Of course many serving might be contractors, "self employed" etc.

This is better than Wikipedia: https://www.airfleets.net/flottecie/Malta%20Air.htm

factsonly

Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:21 am

Vicenza wrote:

For your answer, read post 3 of this thread:

factsonly wrote:
June 1st, 2020:

Eagleboy

Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:33 am

ClassicLover wrote:
Well Aer Lingus did do theirs second, so they would have seen the competition's one and moved accordingly. No doubt the two week period in between videos was put to good use.

I would concur that you cant really compare the 2 videos. One is a short one about onbard only. The other had longer to produce and covers the entire airport journey. i posted the FR one to indicate that they are also putting procedures in place.

ClassicLover wrote:
My main take away though? Not to fly Aer Lingus as they're not doing any on board catering. It's good to see that Ryanair are. I live for the food service on flights and I am always happy to pay. It passes the time and you get to interact with the crew a little. No on board service is a thumbs down from me.
It's similar with BA at the moment, so there's no way I'm booking a Club ticket until the on board service is restored.

Most people book tickets to get to a destination. And at the moment crew have no desire to "interact with" strangers onboard.
Last month I had to keep instructing a pair of passengers to stop entering the galley and to maintain sufficient distance from the crew.
The weren't wearing masks during the flight.
The crew are not entertainment.

Vicenza wrote:
......Pity they don't put the 'message' into practice though.....'show' is one thing, but aren't you forgetting the debacle on a recent BHD-LHR flight, and the exact opposite of what you're claiming?

They were caught on the hop. I would guess that the oursourced ground handlers at BHD just accepted everyone and the crew only realised as the boarding kept going. Flight recently have put on faith in the "booked loads" as there has ben an 80-90% no show on the handful of still operating flights.
(I had a flight in early May that had 117 "booked" when we arrived into the outstation. With 27 online checkins.
We started to board a little early and ended up with 7 by STD-20)
I believe that EI put in place a 2nd BHD-LHR within 48 hours.

Also, maybe you missed the post at the start of the thread about 2 DUB-AMS depaartures being scheduled within 10 mins of each other?

AmricanShamrok

Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:51 pm

CFN update: double-daily service to/from DUB has resumed from yesterday (1st June). It had been reduced to once-daily since the beginning of the season.

OA260

Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:54 pm

The majority of USA/Canada flight cancellations have been further extended until 29/6 by Aer Lingus.

opticalilyushin

Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:49 pm

Eagleboy wrote:
They were caught on the hop. I would guess that the oursourced ground handlers at BHD just accepted everyone and the crew only realised as the boarding kept going. Flight recently have put on faith in the "booked loads" as there has ben an 80-90% no show on the handful of still operating flights.

Aer Lingus had not advised any handling agents on restricting numbers on flights at the time, this combined with the fact that several flights were substantially overbooked before the day of departure (passengers being moved from cancelled flights etc.) caused the problem. It's all too easy to try and pass the buck, but at least Aer Lingus got it resolved quickly.

OA260

Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:55 pm

Dublin Airport charges plan will require review - CAR

The Commission for Aviation Regulation (CAR) has said it is likely that at least one interim review of the new five year plan for passenger charges for Dublin airport will be needed, because of the situation around the Covid-19 pandemic.

The regulator said the crisis is having a devastating impact on the global aviation industry, with passenger numbers at Dublin Airport currently down 99% and the timing and pace of recovery very uncertain.

www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0602/1145 ... eview-car/

JAmie2k9

Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:13 pm

Could be wrong but only one Aer Lingus flight to AMS operated Sunday.

Edit - I see its Monday been discussed.

factsonly

Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:22 pm

JAmie2k9 wrote:
Could be wrong but only one Aer Lingus flight to AMS operated Sunday.

Sunday May 31st, 2020:

- dep. 07:00 Amsterdam EI602 A320 EI-DEH

Monday June 1st, 2020:

- dep. 07:00 Amsterdam EI602 A320 EI-DVL
- dep. 07:10 Amsterdam EI2602 A320 EI-GAM

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/ei-dvl
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/ei-gam

OA260

Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:45 pm

BHD - LHR also got an extra rotation . Like AMS this was due to increased demand.

Vicenza

Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:19 pm

Vicenza wrote:
......Pity they don't put the 'message' into practice though.....'show' is one thing, but aren't you forgetting the debacle on a recent BHD-LHR flight, and the exact opposite of what you're claiming?

(I had a flight in early May that had 117 "booked" when we arrived into the outstation. With 27 online checkins.
We started to board a little early and ended up with 7 by STD-20)
I believe that EI put in place a 2nd BHD-LHR within 48 hours.

Also, maybe you missed the post at the start of the thread about 2 DUB-AMS depaartures being scheduled within 10 mins of each other?[/quote]

They weren't caught on the hop at all and interestingly you use the term "I would guess" (as in you didn't know, and merely took a guess). They did not advise their ground handlers, plus they overbooked it. Yes, they rectified the situation within 48 hours and commendable. However, my point was in reply to the condescending comment that they cared solely about safety.... the fact is it should never have happened in the first place. No, I didn't miss anything regarding two departures to AMS because it wasn't what I was referring to, but then you knew that already.

ClassicLover

Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:05 pm

Eagleboy wrote:
Most people book tickets to get to a destination. And at the moment crew have no desire to "interact with" strangers onboard.
Last month I had to keep instructing a pair of passengers to stop entering the galley and to maintain sufficient distance from the crew.
The weren't wearing masks during the flight.
The crew are not entertainment.

Presumably they were coming in to the galley for chats then? It's reasonable to expect that people would stay in their seats throughout the flight during Covid-19, but you know what people are like... it's a shame you had to go that far, but certainly warranted. It's not like it hasn't been all over the news for weeks on end. Crazy!

OA260

Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:25 am

Ryanair forecasts ‘minimal traffic’ in June as restrictions remain across Europe
Airline said it carried just 70,000 passengers in May

Ryanair carried 70,000 passengers across the group in May, a 99.5 per cent fall on the same period last year, the company said as it forecasted minimal traffic this month.

The airline operated just 701 scheduled flights in the month, including several rescue and medical flights on behalf of various EU governments

www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-a ... 2?mode=amp

Ryanair staff in France accuse airline of ‘redundancy blackmail’
Budget carrier is imposing 20% pay cuts for flight crew and 10% for cabin staff

French flight crew have accused Ryanair of blackmailing them into taking pay cuts or losing their jobs.
The Irish airline, which has warned it may cut up to 3,000 jobs in Europe, told staff in France it was imposing 20% salary cuts for flight crew and 10% for attendants. Those who are already on legal minimum wages will have their hours reduced.

https://amp.theguardian.com/business/20 ... light-crew

OA260

Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:45 am

Did not know that they changed the name again ;)

KIRFlyer

Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:59 am

Hello All,

Looking for some advice. Some family in the US and Ireland were booked to travel this summer. Three sets of flights,

1) SNN-BOS-SNN Departing in June, returning in July
2 BOS-SNN-BOS Departing and returning in July
3) BOS-DUB-BOS Departing and returning in July

For (1), EI have emailed and told my family member that there has “been a revision of your scheduled flight ”, no mention of the word cancellation, and have said the flight now operates DUB-BOS-SNN. I am assuming my family member is entitled to a full refund for the whole journey because Aer Lingus have cancelled the outbound leg.

For (2), they should be entitled to a full refund, although the flights are still scheduled to operate. Even though we’ve noted that EI are cancelling everything in and out of SNN until the end of August.

For (3), this one is a bit trickier. Are they entitled to a refund, even though EI are still operating a daily flight to BOS. I think not, and if anything they should take the voucher +10%.

I understand vouchers could be taken for them all, but with all the family members travelling in and out of the US and they situation being so uncertain, I’ve advised just get your money back, wait for it to all settle down and when things become clearer, book again.

Any advice or info ye could provide is greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

JAmie2k9

Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:23 am

Should be entitled to refund for 1/2. As for vouchers or cash if they are traveling in next 5 years vouchers are a good offer but depends on personal situation.

ClassicLover

Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:27 am

KIRFlyer wrote:
Hello All,

Looking for some advice. Some family in the US and Ireland were booked to travel this summer. Three sets of flights,

For (1), EI have emailed and told my family member that there has “been a revision of your scheduled flight ”, no mention of the word cancellation, and have said the flight now operates DUB-BOS-SNN. I am assuming my family member is entitled to a full refund for the whole journey because Aer Lingus have cancelled the outbound leg.

For (2), they should be entitled to a full refund, although the flights are still scheduled to operate. Even though we’ve noted that EI are cancelling everything in and out of SNN until the end of August.

For (3), this one is a bit trickier. Are they entitled to a refund, even though EI are still operating a daily flight to BOS. I think not, and if anything they should take the voucher +10%.

I understand vouchers could be taken for them all, but with all the family members travelling in and out of the US and they situation being so uncertain, I’ve advised just get your money back, wait for it to all settle down and when things become clearer, book again.

Cheers.

Really, this web site from Aer Lingus is clear enough - https://www.aerlingus.com/support/flight-disruption-information/

For 3) DUB-BOS-DUB in July, there is no entitlement for a refund as the flights are still operating. Also, there is no voucher offered, as the voucher offer is only for flights up to 30 June 2020. However, they can change the dates with no change fee, as they have a booking between now and 30 September 2020.

For 2) BOS-SNN-BOS, they would be entitled to a refund if Aer Lingus cancel the flight. You'll just have to wait until that happens. However, they may go ahead and just put them on BOS-DUB-BOS instead. It's similar to 1) there in that regard. As they are still flying people to Ireland, they are probably hoping people will just take the alternate and make their own arrangements to Dublin.

I'd advise waiting until closer to the travel dates to see what Aer Lingus do and then contact the airline once it gets to a week out if you haven't heard by then. I had to wait and wait with Finnair for flights to be cancelled - they had it written down that they were cancelled, but online it showed still operating. The reason was they were cancelling in tranches as they got close to flight date to prevent a deluge of calls all at once. Good luck!!

KIRFlyer

Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:36 am

JAmie2k9 wrote:
Should be entitled to refund for 1/2. As for vouchers or cash if they are traveling in next 5 years vouchers are a good offer but depends on personal situation.

Cheers for this. I think they want the cash for now. I can see why the voucher is better in the long run. Similar desires for EI too!

KIRFlyer

Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:38 am

ClassicLover wrote:
KIRFlyer wrote:
Hello All,

Cheers.

Really, this web site from Aer Lingus is clear enough - https://www.aerlingus.com/support/flight-disruption-information/

For 3) DUB-BOS-DUB in July, there is no entitlement for a refund as the flights are still operating. Also, there is no voucher offered, as the voucher offer is only for flights up to 30 June 2020. However, they can change the dates with no change fee, as they have a booking between now and 30 September 2020.

For 2) BOS-SNN-BOS, they would be entitled to a refund if Aer Lingus cancel the flight. You'll just have to wait until that happens. However, they may go ahead and just put them on BOS-DUB-BOS instead. It's similar to 1) there in that regard. As they are still flying people to Ireland, they are probably hoping people will just take the alternate and make their own arrangements to Dublin.

I'd advise waiting until closer to the travel dates to see what Aer Lingus do and then contact the airline once it gets to a week out if you haven't heard by then. I had to wait and wait with Finnair for flights to be cancelled - they had it written down that they were cancelled, but online it showed still operating. The reason was they were cancelling in tranches as they got close to flight date to prevent a deluge of calls all at once. Good luck!!

Cheers for all this info. It’s exactly what I/my family need. Personally, my trust in EI/all airlines is quite low at the moment. Hence not looking on their website for info. They are going to use every legal trick in the book to hold onto cash. I wanted knowledgeable people’s opinions on the matter. Hence I’ve come here.

ClassicLover

Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:05 am

KIRFlyer wrote:
Cheers for all this info. It’s exactly what I/my family need. Personally, my trust in EI/all airlines is quite low at the moment. Hence not looking on their website for info. They are going to use every legal trick in the book to hold onto cash. I wanted knowledgeable people’s opinions on the matter. Hence I’ve come here.

Well, for what it's worth, I've had three or four complete bookings refunded with BA and the one I mentioned before with Finnair. I've also dealt with Qatar for changes. The web site information is usually spot on accurate as it's in their best interests to keep it up to date.

Thing is, the situation changes fairly frequently, hence why it's worth waiting until as close to the flight time as you can. Thus far the terms have generally improved as the situation has moved on. For all we know they might extend the 30 June voucher switch to 31 July in the next couple of weeks, which will move the goal posts for those with July bookings. At the same time, they may not. Always keep checking the web site information and keep an eye out for e-mails from the airline. That's the best advice I have and it's worked to my advantage thus far.

OA260

Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:25 am

Fresh fears over Aer Lingus Shannon service

AER Lingus has refused to comment on its future schedules amid growing fears that its operation may be reduced at Shannon Airport.

Following the flag-carrier’s decision to furlough all its 90 cabin crew staff at Limerick’s local airport due to the Covid-19 crisis – but keep workers on at Cork and Dublin Airport – the spectre of reduced flights from Shannon has been raised.

www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/547391/ ... rvice.html

Aer Lingus to impose further temporary pay cuts

Aer Lingus is to impose further temporary pay cuts on staff, who will only receive 30% of their normal pay and hours from 21 June.

The airline had already reduced the pay and hours of staff to 50% of normal because of the collapse of aviation traffic and passenger numbers as a result of the Covid-19 crisis.

However, in a letter to staff this evening, the company says that their pay will be cut to 30% of normal from 21 June to 29 August

https://www.rte.ie/amp/1145298/

SeanM1997

Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:31 am

Eastern Airways is to launch its Southampton - Dublin route from 23 July 2020. Flights to go on sale imminently

OA260

Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:38 am

SeanM1997 wrote:
Eastern Airways is to launch its Southampton - Dublin route from 23 July 2020. Flights to go on sale imminently

More info here :

Eastern Airways flights to resume at Southampton Airport this month

REGIONAL flights will resume at an airport by the end of the month.

Regional airline, Eastern Airways, will resume its network of routes from Southampton Airport, including Aberdeen, Belfast City, Dublin, Manchester, Newcastle, Leeds Bradford and Teesside from June 22.

An initial daily weekday service to Belfast City, Manchester, Newcastle and Aberdeen will be the first to be introduced, with Leeds Bradford and Teesside following on June 29 and Dublin on July 23.

www.portsmouth.co.uk/business/eastern-a ... 874109?amp

BrianDromey

Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:08 am

KIRFlyer wrote:

Aer Lingus have actually been one of the better airlines. Wizzair have been the most straightforward and are the first I've actually seen cash from. Ryanair are quite devious, even if you select a chase refund they offer a voucher a few days later. The value of the flights can be used at any point until the cash has been refunded, in 90 days or whatever the latest is. Luckily it is small amounts and for flights between Ireland and the UK a reschedule was as useful, but with the frequencies being reduced on almost all routes Im struggling to keep track of changes! easyJet are a disaster and impossible to reach on the phone, a refund has been promised, but nothing seen yet.

opticalilyushin

Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:46 pm

BrianDromey wrote:
KIRFlyer wrote:

Aer Lingus have actually been one of the better airlines. Wizzair have been the most straightforward and are the first I've actually seen cash from. Ryanair are quite devious, even if you select a chase refund they offer a voucher a few days later. The value of the flights can be used at any point until the cash has been refunded, in 90 days or whatever the latest is. Luckily it is small amounts and for flights between Ireland and the UK a reschedule was as useful, but with the frequencies being reduced on almost all routes Im struggling to keep track of changes! easyJet are a disaster and impossible to reach on the phone, a refund has been promised, but nothing seen yet.

As per my requests i very quickly received refunds from Singapore Air and vouchers from Icelandair. I did apply for refunds on cancelled flights with EasyJet and Aer Lingus, and received emails acknowledging my requests..but no cash yet. Has anyone else had a particularly fast or slow response from these airlines?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos