Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Blackbird
Topic Author

Dread Weapon System

Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:26 am

http://defensereview.com/dad/DREAD%20Brochure_Page1_Trinamic%20Technologies,%20LLC.jpg

http://www.military.com/soldiertech/0,14632,Soldiertech_DREAD,,00.html
http://www.defensereview.com/modules.php?name=News&file=print&sid=526

This weapon is essentially a centrifugal magnetic-accelerated weapons system that can be swiveled around like a turret, and can be mounted on Tanks, Helicopters, Aircraft, Drones, Robotic Platforms, even Satellites (for the use of gunning down ICBM's). The device does not use any gun-powder at all and is designed in such away that is allegedly jam-proof with self-cleaning operation. The weapon is electrically operated and can fire at variable rates of fire up to 120,000 rpm, permitting increadibly tight shot-grouping, with the ability to fire 10-shot bursts, or full auto, and variable muzzle-velocity which can be so low as to be non-lethal, to as high as 8,000 foot per minute. The design apparently comes in two calibers, .308, and .500 and is able to carry 50,000 rounds of .308's or 10,000 rounds of .50 calibur metallic ball collison-cluster rounds (steel-tungsten, tungsten-carbide, ceramic-coated tungsten, etc.), with provisions for increased CCR capacity to 100,000 rds of .308-cal, and 20,000 .500-cal.

All in all the weapon weighs 28-lbs by itself and can be fired by a manned gunner, or can be fitted with IRST scanners, and programmed to fire automated. Allegedly the weapon possesses no recoil, produces little noise other than the crackle-noise from the supersonic projectiles coming out of the weapon. It is said to produce virtually no infrared-signature, and totally stealthy

Andrea Kent

(BTW -- wouldn't such a tight stream of shots coming out all at Mach 7 produce some noticeable heat that would look like a dull beam under an IRST scanner)

deskflier

RE: Dread Weapon System

Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:30 am

Excuse me, but no recoil? A stream of bullets weighing a third of an ounce each at 8000ft/min, at a rate of two thousand per second has to produce some kind of reaction according to Newtons 3rd Law. They could just as well claim to have eliminated gravity.
How can anyone not fly, when we live at a time when we can fly?

moo

Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:50 am

Quoting Deskflier (Reply 1):
Excuse me, but no recoil? A stream of bullets weighing a third of an ounce each at 8000ft/min, at a rate of two thousand per second has to produce some kind of reaction according to Newtons 3rd Law. They could just as well claim to have eliminated gravity.

No, everything they have stated is correct and legal under the laws of physics, theres no recoil because theres no sudden acceleration of the projectile outward, but there is however a significant gyroscopic force which the HMMV can deal with itself.

SP90

Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:49 am

Wait are you saying this thing spins around like a super fast salt spreader?

[Edited 2007-07-17 19:50:35]

MDorBust

Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:23 am

Uh, what happens when a Dread gets hit in the firing cycle?

If I read it right the Dread uses large amounts of electrical energy (magnets) to accelerate a metal sphere inside the diameter of the weapon, then flings them out.

What happens if the weapon gets damaged? High voltage electrical discharge? Pre-accelerated metal balls flying about?

KISS
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

deskflier

Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:48 am

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 4):
What happens if the weapon gets damaged? High voltage electrical discharge? Pre-accelerated metal balls flying about?

All new weapons have their risks. This would be akin to 15th-century arquebuses blowing up in the shooters face.

moo

Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:59 am

Quoting Sp90 (Reply 3):
Wait are you saying this thing spins around like a super fast salt spreader?

If a salt spreader is what I imagine it to be in this context, then yes.

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 4):
Uh, what happens when a Dread gets hit in the firing cycle?

If I read it right the Dread uses large amounts of electrical energy (magnets) to accelerate a metal sphere inside the diameter of the weapon, then flings them out.

I would imagine not a lot would happen, the spinning disk would decelerate and stop, they safety mechanisms would stop a premature discharge since it would be doing that anyway.

With no explosives or propellant onboard for one of these things, it would be much safer to have around after a potential hit from an RPG or whatnot, as theres no chance of rounds cooking off in any resulting fire.

MDorBust

Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:21 am

Quoting Moo (Reply 6):
I would imagine not a lot would happen, the spinning disk would decelerate and stop, they safety mechanisms would stop a premature discharge since it would be doing that anyway.

I'm talking about the weapon taking a hit, not it blowing a fuse.

Look, you take this platter of metal balls and spin them up to speed enough to launch them at 8,000 fps. That's fine and dandy, but what happens when you breech the platter? You've got metal balls spewing out like a long range weed eater. This thing has the potential to wipe out whole units.. friendly units.

I don't even want to think about how this thing is supposed to compensate for ammunition weight loss. Essentially, every time it fires a projectile it turns into an unbalanced gyroscope.

Quoting Moo (Reply 6):
With no explosives or propellant onboard for one of these things, it would be much safer to have around after a potential hit from an RPG or whatnot, as theres no chance of rounds cooking off in any resulting fire.

If you are in a fire hot enough to cook off ammunition you probably aren't hoping to survive.

Personally, I think this thing is a hoax. Why would you use .308 and .50 ammunition? These rounds obviously aren't going to be interchangeable with standard firearms, so why limit to pre-existing ammunition sizes? Despite the claims of the inventor, I suspect this thing would suck huge amounts of energy.

I wouldn't want to be within a half mile of one of these things when it fails.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

SlamClick

Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:45 am

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 7):
what happens when you breech the platter?

I expect it would be rather like when this device was fired.

It fired two balls, chained together. Of course one barrel went off milliseconds before the other, so it had trouble distinguishing between uniform colors too.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

Blackbird
Topic Author

Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:15 am

That is a good question... what if it takes a hit and those balls are accelerated all over the place. That sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Not to mention, wouldn't the electrical discharge in the event of a malfunction be massive enough to electrocute people nearby?

Andrea K

deskflier

Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:05 pm

Quoting Blackbird (Reply 9):
electrical discharge

And what about EMP? When the weapon is functioning as meant, I suppose it's EMP-shielded so your own electronics don't get damaged. But when You take a hit and this weapon breaks apart? Seems like the inventors/manufacturers didn't think about a lot of "what if"-situations, or they don't say the whole truth. Of course, that could be classified by order from the military authorities. Just hope that this device doesn't carry some design-specific shortcoming that suddenly will be all too apparent when the weapon is already deployed and used in combat. Something like when John Ericsson didn't tell the USNavy that his Monitor couldn't operate in anything but calm waters.

dl021

Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:38 pm

My only question is what's the Pirate Roberts going to do when he finds out his new weapon has been expropriated?

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 8):
I expect it would be rather like when this device was fired.

rotfl  it's only through experimentation that we find the obvious things we overlooked during the "hey! I've got an idea! what if we did this....?" process. Boy...that was a bad day for the gunners.....
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?