Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

wardialer
Topic Author

What Does This Code Word Mean?

Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:12 pm

Were about 15 MIKE out. I guess its like MILES...For example, 15 Miles out.

I may be wrong though.

Thx.

yeelep

RE: What Does This Code Word Mean?

Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:29 pm

15 minutes out. Military slang from the Vietam era.

hercppmx

Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:49 pm

As yeelep mentioned. It's MINUTES.... it's based off of the Phonetic Alphabet. Mike is what you would use on the radio for the letter "M". It's still very common usage in the military today.
C-130; it's a love-hate relationship

kc135topboom

Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:15 pm

Yeah, for distance he would have said he was 15 KLICKS out (15 km).

wardialer
Topic Author

Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:47 am

Then.....what would miles be??

So, why would KLICKS be used for KM? I thought that would be KILO

[Edited 2012-04-10 21:51:58]

jollo

Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:32 am

Quoting wardialer (Reply 4):
Then.....what would miles be??

Mmmh... what kind of "miles"? Statutory? Nautical? US Survey?

Besides, no need for a military code-word for "miles" in 2012: we've had the International System of Units (SI) in worldwide use for over 50 years...

Oh, wait! In use everywhere in the world except in the USA, Burma and Liberia... the "coalition of the unwilling"!

Sorry, could not resist the temptation...    For an european engineer, stalwart US resistance to the metric system is quite entertaining (I mean, the whole world adopted it for technical/scientific usage because it works, and most nations had far longer histories with local units).

No offence intended, anyway.

kc135topboom

Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:24 am

Quoting jollo (Reply 5):
Quoting wardialer (Reply 4):Then.....what would miles be??
Mmmh... what kind of "miles"? Statutory? Nautical? US Survey?

Because miles have different lenghts, the US Military uses km for most distance applications, but not all.

Quoting jollo (Reply 5):
Besides, no need for a military code-word for "miles" in 2012: we've had the International System of Units (SI) in worldwide use for over 50 years...

Actually it is amixed bag;

The metric system is used when the US operates with NATO or other countries, to avoid confusing with land forces. However the international norm for naval force distances is still in feet, yards, and nm, not in meters or km. Guns are increasingly measured in mm or cm as opposed to inches. Air forces generally use feet and nm.

jollo

Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:05 pm

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 6):
Air forces generally use feet and nm.

Of course: in well delimited specialty fields the usage of internationally recognised "legacy" units is quite common. Aviation is one such field: english is the language of aviation, and FL100 means 10000 feet everywhere (and anyone with meter-scaled altimeters, e.g. Russians, have a hard time doing conversions in their heads). Another example: once upon a while (centuries ago) Italy was the internationally recognised world leader in music, and in classical music tempo indications are still given in italian (allegro, andante, largo, etc.) rather than in "beats per second" (correct SI unit for frequency).

What I find funny (strictly in my opinion) is your (as a nation) institutional resistance to SI, in splendid isolation (both Liberia and Burma/Myanmar are at least officialy in the process of gradually switching to SI).

Back to the topic: I kind of remember from a Tom Clancy book that "mike mike" was supposed to be military parlance for "millimeter" (e.g. "twenty mike mike" for the caliber of the F15 gun). That kind of makes sense as it's the international radiotelephony (NATO) spelling alphabet rendition of the symbol for millimeter (mm). Is it used in practice?

[Edited 2012-04-11 08:23:25]

[Edited 2012-04-11 08:27:19]

hercppmx

Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:41 am

Quoting jollo (Reply 7):
Back to the topic: I kind of remember from a Tom Clancy book that "mike mike" was supposed to be military parlance for "millimeter" (e.g. "twenty mike mike" for the caliber of the F15 gun). That kind of makes sense as it's the international radiotelephony (NATO) spelling alphabet rendition of the symbol for millimeter (mm). Is it used in practice?

Yes. A lot of the terms aren't "official". I doubt you'll be able to find any military manual that states "15 mikes is 15 minutes." Instead it's just more of a military culture thing, it's in such common usage that even the most jr. members understand it right away. But, Yes "mike mike" is used quite often. Example 40 mike mike is the size the grenades used in the M203 or MK-19.
C-130; it's a love-hate relationship

vikkyvik

Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:16 am

Quoting jollo (Reply 5):
For an european engineer, stalwart US resistance to the metric system is quite entertaining

For an American engineer, stalwart US resistance to the metric system is quite exasperating.

When I was in school, I'd often take a problem that was in Imperial units, convert it to metric, do the calculations, and convert the result back to Imperial.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

jollo

Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:38 am

Quoting HercPPMX (Reply 8):
But, Yes "mike mike" is used quite often.

Thanks.

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 9):
For an American engineer, stalwart US resistance to the metric system is quite exasperating

I can understand. The occasional blunder that results from metric/imperial mixups must be frustrating, too (Mars Climate Orbiter comes to mind). Completely OT: what's the official explanation for this resistance, then?

sprout5199

Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:27 am

Quoting jollo (Reply 10):
what's the official explanation for this resistance, then?

My uneducated answer---cost. To convert all the machines, roads, etc. would cost the US $$$$$$$$$. Plus a 2X4 would now be a 38x89. Just doesnt sound right.

Dan in Jupiter

jollo

Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:46 pm

Quoting sprout5199 (Reply 11):
My uneducated answer---cost. To convert all the machines, roads, etc. would cost the US $$$$$$$$$. Plus a 2X4 would now be a 38x89. Just doesnt sound right.

Well, most nations did the transition by stages, starting with "soft" adoption (that is, nobody uses it but should). The advantages (practical and economical) are such that after a while (years) adoption comes virtually "by itself". Costs remain the same (high), but they are spread out over time and, at the individual level, are largely sustained on a voluntary basis, instead of mandated. Today, many countries are in different levels of "softness". However, the process must start with a national government stating that it wants to adopt SI, eventually: I don't think the US govt ever did that.

Besides, a finished 2x4's section is actually 1 and a half inches by 3 and a half inches, which doesn't sound very "right" even in imperial units... The proportion is also off: a "2x4" has a dimensional ratio of 1:2.3_, not 1:2 as the name seems to suggest. So "2x4" is just a name, and you can stick to the name whatever unit system you use.

Sorry, this has become purely non-aviation... time for moving?

[Edited 2012-04-12 05:51:45]

rwessel

Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:45 pm

Quoting sprout5199 (Reply 11):

Most manufacturing in the U.S. is already metric - try finding a non-metric part on your car (aside from the wheels, speedometer and maybe spark plugs). Anything that's even a remote candidate for export is built metric. True, some big exceptions exist for things like building materials. And why couldn't we just call a 2x4 a 5x10? The nominal sizes are well within the tolerances for that sort of thing.

yeelep

Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:18 pm

Quoting rwessel (Reply 13):
Anything that's even a remote candidate for export is built metric. True, some big exceptions exist for things like building materials

Or airplanes.

rwessel

Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:26 pm

Quoting yeelep (Reply 14):
Or airplanes.

Only older models. The 737 has to be chock full of standard measure parts, while I doubt there's more than a handful, if any (excepting a few instrument displays) 787 parts that aren't metric. It's obviously costly to change an existing design, and what would be the gain?

Of course NASA did build ISS with standard size bolt heads and nuts.   

Tugger

Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:33 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 9):
When I was in school, I'd often take a problem that was in Imperial units, convert it to metric, do the calculations, and convert the result back to Imperial.

Now are you talking Imperial (i.e. a pint is 20oz and a a ton is a "long ton") or SAE standards?     

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

jollo

Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:26 am

Anything that's even a remote candidate for export is built metric.

Makes sense. So in practice it looks like you are already on a "soft" adoption path (and costs are not unbearable). However, I still can't figure out the rationale for the institutional stance.

Besides, names and standards don't have to make sense: they just have to be understood. E.g. the whole world talks about screen (display) sizes and car wheel sizes in inches, even people not having the faintest idea of how long an inch is: everybody understands that a 50" display is a big mother***er and 19" wheels are for a sports car even in fully "metric" cultures. And you could happily keep calling a 2x4 "twobyfour" even when everybody will have forgotten the origin of the name.

When it comes to measurements and computations, however, a decimal unit system is just simpler and less error prone: it stuck because it works.

yeelep

Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:20 pm

Quoting rwessel (Reply 15):
Only older models. The 737 has to be chock full of standard measure parts, while I doubt there's more than a handful, if any (excepting a few instrument displays) 787 parts that aren't metric. It's obviously costly to change an existing design, and what would be the gain?

Of course NASA did build ISS with standard size bolt heads and nuts.   

Nope, all Boeing commercial aircraft are still designed/manufactured in good ole standard units.

rwessel

Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:01 pm

Quoting jollo (Reply 17):
However, I still can't figure out the rationale for the institutional stance.

Mainly Americans are stubborn - after all, we're special, what everyone else does doesn't apply to us. That this comes from France is also a minus. Whether it's a good idea or not is of distinctly secondary importance.

Quoting yeelep (Reply 18):
Nope, all Boeing commercial aircraft are still designed/manufactured in good ole standard units.

Make me want to cry...

AFHokie

Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:15 pm

Quoting jollo (Reply 12):
Well, most nations did the transition by stages, starting with "soft" adoption (that is, nobody uses it but should). The advantages (practical and economical) are such that after a while (years) adoption comes virtually "by itself". Costs remain the same (high), but they are spread out over time and, at the individual level, are largely sustained on a voluntary basis, instead of mandated. Today, many countries are in different levels of "softness". However, the process must start with a national government stating that it wants to adopt SI, eventually: I don't think the US govt ever did that.

Doesn't the UK still use stone for someone's weight and miles for driving? Seems to me they do whenever watching Top Gear. Most just go with what they know and are familiar with.

AFHokie

n92r03

Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:45 pm

Quoting rwessel (Reply 19):
Mainly Americans are stubborn - after all, we're special, what everyone else does doesn't apply to us. That this comes from France is also a minus. Whether it's a good idea or not is of distinctly secondary importance.

Stubborn and proud of it! The metric system is like soccer, they both suck. Sorry metric and soccer fans... 

jollo

Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:41 pm

Quoting n92r03 (Reply 21):
Sorry metric and soccer fans...

No offense taken: I'm Italian, but no great soccer fan (if you ask me, a ball game where you can use only your feet looks better suited to horses than humans...   ). As for metric vs. imperial, I strongly believe that "everyone is king in his own home": you can proudly keep on multiplying and dividing by 3, 12 and 5280 for as long as you see fit with my blessing. Me, as long as I'll be using decimal numbers, I'll keep on finding it much easier to multiply and divide by powers of 10.

My apologies to the OP for hijacking the thread.

[Edited 2012-04-14 11:45:46]

bthebest

Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:39 pm

Quoting AFHokie (Reply 20):
Doesn't the UK still use stone for someone's weight and miles for driving? Seems to me they do whenever watching Top Gear. Most just go with what they know and are familiar with.

Weight- not so much, only in informal ways like 2x4

Miles for driving - yes, very much so, maybe that's our stubborness against Europe like the Pound (Sterling)

bikerthai

Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:13 pm

Quoting jollo (Reply 12):

Well, most nations did the transition by stages, starting with "soft" adoption (that is, nobody uses it but should). The advantages (practical and economical) are such that after a while (years) adoption comes virtually "by itself".

Virtually the only way the Imperial units will die is when the US gets invaded and the new dictator forces everyone to go Metric . . . or when the Earth gets destroyed and all the colonies in space have used Metric as the base units.

Most manufacturing in the U.S. is already metric -
Quoting rwessel (Reply 15):
Only older models. The 737 has to be chock full of standard measure parts, while I doubt there's more than a handful, if any (excepting a few instrument displays) 787 parts that aren't metric.
Quoting yeelep (Reply 18):

Yep . . . Boeing Standard Fasteners are still all non metric . . . in fact, it was (still is) a pain to find any metric fastener available for use with some of the metric components as supplied by the supplier. Try to find it in Titanium would be almost impossible.

Always wanted to ask my Airbus colleagues . . . do you use Metric? If yes, what standards do you buy them from? Insdustry standards or Airbus's own standards?

bt

bt
Intelligent seeks knowledge. Enlightened seeks wisdom.