Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

lmml 14/32
Topic Author

Need To Find Driver For My Graphics Card

Wed Dec 26, 2001 7:39 pm

I am so frustrated. I recently formatted and now I cannot get the graphics card to work. I am no computer freak and this is what I know. My graphics card is a Genius S3 Trio 3D/2X. That is what is written on the "black boxes" attached to the card inside my computer. It is not onboard the motherboard. I am now running on a pathetic 16 colours !! There are no more selections on the video panel which I can set. Clearly I need to proper driver. I searched the net with no luck. I found many forums but no drivers.
Can anybody help please?
Thanks and Happy New Year

Aussiemite

RE: Need To Find Driver For My Graphics Card

Wed Dec 26, 2001 7:44 pm

look for the following drivers S3 Trio 3D/2X that is the chipset. genius is just the cheapo board manf.

I would be inclined to open the case up and read the chipset written on the video card just to make sure. esp if those drivers dont work.

lmml 14/32
Topic Author

Wed Dec 26, 2001 7:59 pm

Thanks for your reply. pardon my ignorance. What is a chipset? The case is open

Aussiemite

Wed Dec 26, 2001 8:08 pm

the chip is where the majik happens. just like you have a CPU Intel AMD whatever you have a graphics processor for gamers these things have become very important over the last few years, some even having there own heatsink and fan.

I have upgraded, polished the surface and used silver based transfer paste on my GPU heatsink fan.

Infact my current video card alone is faster then my CPU I had 3 years ago.

lmml 14/32
Topic Author

Wed Dec 26, 2001 8:13 pm

But where do I look for a driver?

Aussiemite

Wed Dec 26, 2001 8:46 pm

the people who make the chipset in your case s3..

If all else fails check

http://www.windrivers.com

Wed Dec 26, 2001 8:50 pm

1.) Your chipset is made by a company that no longer is in existence making graphics chipsets. They might still be around though supporting it ( who knows?) so try a web search for a savage s3 or something to that effect.
2.) The company who made the card itself might still be around. So try their website
3.) Pop in any newer game you might have, look in the readme file to see if it has a link to get drivers.
4.) try seeing if your OS (win 98, me, etc..) already has a driver for it. You can do this by right clicking the desktop, go to properties>setiings>advanced properties,hit change under the driver and look for something with like savage or some such nonsense in the name.you might have to put you win98(me) disk in to continue.
5.) spend about 50$ on a geforce2

lmml 14/32
Topic Author

Wed Dec 26, 2001 9:27 pm

I have actually downloaded two drivers from their site. But when I try to install either one the computer says that the installed driver is better than the one I am trying to install. I am really confused.

Wed Dec 26, 2001 9:41 pm

First change your driver to the show all device> standard diplay types >VGA. Reboot. Ugly huh? Then try the previously posted method for installing the savge drivers. reboot set to whatever resolution/color depth you want.

lmml 14/32
Topic Author

Thu Dec 27, 2001 3:44 am

Toadpipe: Thanks for the advice. Sorry I did not reply sooner - I was away. When I click on the desktop>settings>advanced>adapter I get the message that the installed card is "Standard PCI Graphics adapter (VGA)". I then hit "Change" and select the drive (A) where I have the newly downloaded driver. The system then tells me that the driver already installed is the best and it will not accept the new driver. Now I was thinking that if I unistall the present driver then it might accept the new one. But this is uncharted territory for me. And I am scared to do it without help. What do you think?

cfalk

Thu Dec 27, 2001 4:05 am

I've got the same problem. I have a 3d accelerator card from 3dfx, which has gone out of business, and none of the old drivers work with XP, it appears.

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

lmml 14/32
Topic Author

Thu Dec 27, 2001 4:58 am

Try https://ranger.s3graphics.com This is where I downloaded my drivers from, even though to no avail. Maybe you will be more lucky.