Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Breaking News: Israel Declares Arafat 'enemy'

Fri Mar 29, 2002 2:36 pm

Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon said Friday that the nation's Cabinet has declared Yasser Arafat an "enemy" and that Israel will do everything in its power to "isolate" the Palestinian leader.

Source: CNN

I think the Palestanians will stop the suicide attack IF all Israeli troop leaves Palestan. That's what I'm hoping for.

If Israel leaves Palestan and the Palestanians still attacking Israel, then I wouldn't mind Israel declares 'enermy' to Yasser Arafat till that time.

N400QX

RE: Breaking News: Israel Declares Arafat 'enemy'

Fri Mar 29, 2002 2:41 pm

Hmm... this is kinda over on the "Operation Underway!" thread, but, yes... he has been declared an enemy and I don't know what took so long for Israel to do so.

On the contrary, I don't think terrorism will stop until Israel puts a foot down and eliminates the terrorists. There is no occupation and probably will be no occupation, but maybe that would be for the better.

>If Israel leaves Palestan and the Palestanians still attacking Israel, then I wouldn't mind Israel declares 'enermy' to Yasser Arafat till that time.

That's what has happened over the past week or so-- Israel hasn't gone into the territories in response to terror. Arafat kept up his attacks while the Israelis stood by, trying the peaceful route.

Arafat didn't want peace until (1) he had launched his huge attack on Passover and (2) the Israelis started attacking him. What a coward.

LY744

Fri Mar 29, 2002 10:59 pm

Why the hell do you think IDF forces are in that hell hole in the first place?! They weren't there when the PA and the terrorists started their campaign 18 months ago. And by "Palestan" do you mean all of Israel, or the WB and GS?  Insane

LY744.

go canada!

Fri Mar 29, 2002 11:05 pm

can we just have one thread please on this?

SInGAPORE_AIR

Fri Mar 29, 2002 11:22 pm

I shall keep this brief since I am tied to gardening.

I hate the Palestinian way of doing things. Blowing people up to kill loads of civilians?! I am appauled every day there seems to be another stupid Palestinian blowing themselves up since they have nothing else to do. Look at Jordan and how modern their lifestyle is! Kudos to them. And then we have the Palestinians clinging on to land which isn't theirs anyway (correct me if I'm wrong) blowing up the main people's (jews) land!.

Then we have Yasser Arafat who seems to have done nothing really. Please please do not say that he isn't even let out the house because he did something on Al Jazeera via a satellite. If he is the leader, then frankly he has as much leadership as Iain Duncan Smith of the COnservative party in the UK and that is hardly any.

This is my first post on the Israel/Palestinian thing so any comments on how to formulate future views welcome.

donder10

Fri Mar 29, 2002 11:27 pm

I think the Palestanians will stop the suicide attack IF all Israeli troop leaves Palestan.

How can you think that?Its not the Palestanians doing the attacks but a minority section including nut cases like Hamas etc. They want to see Israel in the sea and wont keep the peace if a ceasefire was to be signed.

Alpha 1

Fri Mar 29, 2002 11:47 pm

I think the Palestanians will stop the suicide attack IF all Israeli troop leaves Palestan. That's what I'm hoping for.

You're hoping against hope, my friend. As I've said before, the killing WILL NEVER STOP, as long as these murdering thugs in Hamas and the like exist. Even if a Palestine is declared; even if Israel leaves all land occupied after 1967, it won't stop. Israel would stop their counterstrikes against the Palestinians if the violence against it would cease. But it won't cease. It's only the great gullibles in the world and on this forum who can't comprehend that stark reality.

SInGAPORE_AIR

Sat Mar 30, 2002 12:16 am

Ok then true. Hamas. But I hardly meant the "normal" women, children and some men.

I just find it quite sad that people would just blow themselves up. It's quite abhorrent. I abhor Hamas and Yasser

Mark2102

Sat Mar 30, 2002 12:54 am

What took so long? Israel has been under attack from these killers for over a year and they declare it just today? Hopefully there will be peace soon!!

Mark

cfalk

Sat Mar 30, 2002 12:56 am

Why the hell do you think IDF forces are in that hell hole in the first place?! They weren't there when the PA and the terrorists started their campaign 18 months ago.

Uhh... the settlements were there, and all the military defence they require are all around them. That's the main point. There will NEVER be peace unless the settlements are dismantled completely. Of course that is not the only thing that must happen, but it is a key item.

Singapore Air: I agree that blowing up civilians is evil and stupid, but where did you get the idea about "Palestinians clinging on to land which isn't theirs anyway (correct me if I'm wrong) blowing up the main people's (jews) land."? Do you think that The Zionist movement of the early 1900s, and the mass exodus from Europe during and after WWII of Jews went to a deserted land with no people on it? The land has been called Palestine since Roman times. The people who lived there are called Palestinians. I'm sure you've heard about the Israeli-Palestinian negotiations, and that one of the big sticking points is whether to allow the return of refugees, who fled the country when Israel was formed. If there are refugees, then that would logically mean that someone was living there before 1947, right?

Donder is right - the main problem are the extremists like Hamas. They have been very smart in not going after the PA, whom they consider as traitors.

The problem is that the average Palestinian in the street feels that the terrorists are getting better results than Arafat and the PA. The PA have been completely locked in by Israel, they can't do anything anymore without Israel's consent - truely a puppet government. The Palestinians probably feel that their hopes for independance cannot be served by such a powerless entity, and throw their support behing the radicals.

The solution is to strengthen the moderates' position. Grant the PA a few victories, like the negotiated dismantlement of half the settlements, the others to be dismantled at a later date. If the people start seeing the PA getting better results than the terrorists, their support will diminish. If the PA makes some serious progress towards independance, any attacks by Hamas could even be seen by the average Palestinian as a threat to the achievements already made, and thus the PA would have the popular backing to crack down on them, which they currently do not have (they don't even have anything to crack down on them with right now - the Israelis blew up all their security forces.)

Charles

kolobokman

Sat Mar 30, 2002 2:05 am

Isolate

I do not think they will try to kill him, at least not right away. They will try to capture the old guy.
But that will just make things worse in the region for everybody.

LY744

Sat Mar 30, 2002 2:15 am

"Do you think that The Zionist movement of the early 1900s, and the mass exodus from Europe during and after WWII of Jews went to a deserted land with no people on it?"

Not that far from the truth. Vast majority of Palestinians lived in the WB, where they could actually survive. Most of Israel is plain desert. The areas destined to the Jews in 1947-48 were not nearly as populated by Palestinians (many of whom moved to these areas as Jews were re-settling them in the preceding 50-60 years). They were, however, more populated with Druz and Arab people who still live there today.

LY744.

Klaus

Sat Mar 30, 2002 2:17 am

I think Cfalk is right. But even so, there´s the other side as well:

As much as the israeli hardliners have conditioned the palestinian people to distrust any civilian approach, Hamas has "cooperated" with the likes of Sharon in pushing the israeli population away from any attempt at a peaceful solution.

Isn´t it obvious how Sharon´s camp and the Hamas need each other for manipulating their respective people into more violence?

The choice is not between Sharon or Hamas; The choice is between Sharon plus Hamas and peace.

tbar220

Sat Mar 30, 2002 2:21 am

Let's recap the events of the last week and a half

- Two killed, 31 wounded in a Palestinian suicide bombing in Jerusalem (Mar 29)

- Two killed in a stabbing attack in an Israeli village near the Gaza border (Mar 28)

- Four killed when a Palestinian Gunman infiltrates Elon Morei, an Israeli village (Mar 28)

- Twenty Two Killed, 120 wounded in a Palestinian suicide bombing in Netanya on the first night of Passover (Mar 28)

- IDF kills two gunmen who try to infiltrate an Israeli Kibbutz near the Gaza Border (Mar 27)

- Palestinian gunmen kill two International Observers (Mar 26)

- Two Palestinian's blow themselves up in an attempted bombing in Jerusalem (Mar 26)

- Israeli troops find 10 kg of bombs in a Palestinian ambulance heading towards Jerusalem (Mar 26)

- Two Israeli's were killed after four gunmen infiltrated the border from Jordan. The four gunmen were killed (Mar 25)

- A Palestinian suicide bomber kills 3, injures 87 in the crowded King George shopping district in Jerusalem. (Mar 22)

- A Palestinian suicide bomber kills 7, injures 29 when he blows himself up on an Israeli bus near Hadera. 15 of the wounded are Israeli Arabs. (Mar 21)

And through all of this, Israel has shown unbelievably incredible restraint, trying to get the cease-fire to work.

Well enough is enough. Arafat has shown his true face, and Israel should no longer have to deal with him.

Sat Mar 30, 2002 3:10 am

You're hoping against hope, my friend. As I've said before, the killing WILL NEVER STOP, as long as these murdering thugs in Hamas and the like exist.

How do you know? Hamas keep targetting Israelis because of the arm force deployed in West bank.

And through all of this, Israel has shown unbelievably incredible restraint, trying to get the cease-fire to work.

I don't agree on this. Israel showing restrant because of International pressure. Eventhough the Israeli Government wanted to have ceasefire, BUT, do you really know what they're thinking? What if they're thinking "oh, who cares those International pressure, we're going to have our own way to fight the 'terrorism'."

Israel is now using double-side plan for the conflict. On one side, they're showing they're 'poor', always got bombed by the Palestanians. But on the other side, they're showing they're own 'terrorism' to target the Palestanian citizens, despite they're saying "We are only targetting Arafat."

Israel should realize that it's an eye for an eye. They could avoid the suicide bomb by leaving the West Bank and Gaza Strip.

Israel is getting what they DESERVED.

N400QX

Sat Mar 30, 2002 3:53 am

>Eventhough the Israeli Government wanted to have ceasefire, BUT, do you really know what they're thinking?

Umm... they wanted a cease fire because they were sick of Israeli civilians dying by the hands of Palestinians.

If you want some two-facedness, look to Arafat. He refuses to work on a cease fire while HE is on the offensive (see Tbar220's excellent post above), but at the first sign of Israeli movement after their quite remarkable restraint, he cries Cease fire! Cease fire!

He is a coward.

>Israel is getting what they DESERVED

That is sick-- downright disgusting. No one deserves to be blown to bits because of the religious/racial/whatever hatred of others.

SInGAPORE_AIR

Sat Mar 30, 2002 4:02 am

I think that Allied troops should invade Israel, blow up Hamas, build houses for the good Palestinians and sling their hook back home.

Cfalk: Maybe. But when Jesus was alive in 4BC - 64AD, they were called Jews. So the Bible says Jews, therefore it definately is the Jewish land?

The Israeli gov are wrong to fire on innocent civilians. Such cases include when women are going to the hospital to get pregnant. However there will always be a few civilian casualties and at least they try and stay away. Unlike Hamas whatever who think that today a supermarket is an idillic location to blow a bomb.

Sat Mar 30, 2002 4:05 am

I mean Israel get what they deserved is that Israel has gone further than the so-called Palestanian Terrorists.

With those tanks in Ramallah reminds of China driving their tanks into Tiananmen square in 1989...

Israel should realize that they'll face lots of casualities when they're trying to 'control' Palestan.

Yes, they're trying to save their own citizens. But don't you realize the only way to reduce and avoid civilian casualities in Israel is to pull out Israeli army from West Bank and Gaza Strip?

If Palestanian 'terrorist' continues to attack Israel after pulling out, then I'll say Palestanian is getting what they DESERVED until that time.

Actually...

Sat Mar 30, 2002 4:08 am

It should be the Israeli GOVERNMENT getting what they deserved. Their own citizen is not 'really involved' with the peace talk.

tbar220

Sat Mar 30, 2002 4:43 am

so-called Palestanian Terrorists

That's sick, these aren't "so-called" terrorists...they are terrorists. Have you completely ignored all the attacks against innocent Israeli civilians in the last week and a half? Did you see the pictures of the attack on Netanya? Looked eerily like ground zero.

And who cares why Israel is showing restraint, they are. And do you see Israel directly targeting Palestinian civilians? I sure as hell dont. No country deserves to be living in an inferno like Israel is right now under Palestinian terrorists.

44 Israeli's killed in the last ten days, and how has Israel responded? Up until today, with nothing. Israel has shown a willingness to do a cease fire. How has Arafat responded? With terrorism. Does Israel deserve this? Definitely not.

Sat Mar 30, 2002 5:03 am

Tbar220

I find it odd that you will give us details of Palestinian attacks, but how about providing us with figures on how many innocent Palestinians the IDF has murdered in the same timeframe. Or do you think there is no such thing as an "innocent Palestinian"?

tbar220

Sat Mar 30, 2002 5:04 am

Last I checked, there weren't any Palestinian civilians killed during the last ten days, only Palestinian terrorists and gunmen. Unless you find otherwise...

LY744

Sat Mar 30, 2002 5:04 am

"But don't you realize the only way to reduce and avoid civilian casualities in Israel is to pull out Israeli army from West Bank and Gaza Strip?"

Quite possibly the dumbest thing ever to be said about the ME conflict on this board ever.

For a freakin' decade the IL gov has been giving more and more land and independence to the PA, the violence from Palestinian extrimists has been increasing in almost direct proportion to the Israeli withdrawals. The reasons for that are more than obvious.

I suggest you stop embarassing yourself.

LY744.

Tbar220

Sat Mar 30, 2002 5:16 am

That's sick, these aren't "so-called" terrorists...they are terrorists. Have you completely ignored all the attacks against innocent Israeli civilians in the last week and a half? Did you see the pictures of the attack on Netanya? Looked eerily like ground zero.

If Israel thinks the Palestanians who used bomb to bomb those innocent Israelis as Terrorist, then isn't Israel a terrorist country as well?

Israel sending troops to West Bank and kill innocents as well. It's just the way that Israel attack Palestan is more ELEGANT, compare to the vice versa that uses dirty way.

LY744

RE: Tbar220

Sat Mar 30, 2002 5:24 am

"If Israel thinks the Palestanians who used bomb to bomb those innocent Israelis as Terrorist, then isn't Israel a terrorist country as well?"

Oh, my... Unlike Palestinian extrimists, IL doesn't target civilians, they do get killed occasionally, and you people assume that they are killed by the IDF.

LY744.

Sat Mar 30, 2002 5:58 am

Ly744... chanting your propoganda may help you feel better but I find it neither convincing or true.

It really doesn't take a mental genius to know that if you go kicking an ants nest you will end up being bitten by ants.

A good analogy after all because we all know the queen ant doesn't send all the ants off to bite you, they do so of their own accord and if you kill the queen ant the will just go find another queen.

Those of you who turn Arafat into the master of all evil are foolish, it's not the man but the circumstances that make these people do what they do. Israel appears to be deliberately inciting them in order to garner support from those out there who just aren't that clever. Seems to me that it's working.

VH-ADG

go canada!

Sat Mar 30, 2002 6:20 am

how can israel incit the terrorists when it withdraw froms the lands, wants a ceasefire yet the palestinians still continue, it seem quite clear adg that you have misinterpreted the situation in order to cling to your belief that the palestinians are the good guys in this and have been victimised.

israel keeps on getting attacked and then responds, to me it seems that the terrorists are goading israel. israel has tried restraint but it doesnt work, terrorists dont listern to peace calls.

they dont want peace, end of story.arafat is a member of a terrorist organisation which has been responsbile for many of the latest terror attacks.

roguetrader

Sat Mar 30, 2002 6:29 am

they dont want peace, end of story.

Translation: don't bother looking into the matter for the facts, we've already determined 'they don't want peace'.

kind regards,

RogueTrader

SInGAPORE_AIR

Sat Mar 30, 2002 7:14 am

Go Canada has a point, but my arm hurts so more later.

LY744

Sat Mar 30, 2002 7:23 am

"chanting your propoganda may help you feel better but I find it neither convincing or true."

Propoganda? What about you then, aren't you spreading propoganda as well, according to your own "logic"?

LY744.

SInGAPORE_AIR

Sat Mar 30, 2002 7:34 am

If you don't want to turn Yasserman into an evil thing, then at least turn him into a s-word leader. Leader? He said that he would arrest some Hamas people. Hmm. Isn't he the leader of Hamas (correct me if I'm wrong).

There is such thing as an innocent Palestinian. Take for example the woman, the children and the men that actually have a life.

More later

SInGAPORE_AIR

Sat Mar 30, 2002 7:42 am

Actually no more. More discussion please
----
Palestinian ambulance driver caught transporting bomb

Reserve soldiers at a mobile roadblock today captured a Palestinian Red Crescent ambulance driver who was caught transporting an explosive belt of the type detonated by suicide bombers, Israel Radio reported.
----

LY744

Sat Mar 30, 2002 7:47 am

No, Arafat is not the leader of the Hamas. It's sheikh something. He used to reside in an Israeli prison, but they released him as a sign of good will. Nowadays he preaches the destruction of IL to youngsters in the PA territories.

LY744.

SInGAPORE_AIR

Sat Mar 30, 2002 8:02 am

Yeah well Arafat still said he would control it.

ryanb741

Sat Mar 30, 2002 8:02 am

Although I don't agree with the Israeli politics regarding the occupation of Palestine, I find it exceedingly difficult to sympathise with anybody who thinks blowing up innocent civilians in shopping malls/pizza parlours/discos etc is a legitimate way of combating it.

The irony is, international opinion is now at the stage where the majority of people (including I suspect the majority of Israelis) would be quite happy to return land to the Palestinians, if it meant that these wretched killings would stop.

I think that Israel may as well pull out totally. This would give them the moral upper hand. If the Israelis gave the Palestinians what they want, and then if the suicide attacks persisted, no reasonable person could then blame the Israelis for protecting themselves. I just think at the moment it's a cases of two wrongs definitely NOT making a right (although I have no qualms about Israel sending the armed forces in on this occasion, as the attacks are getting way out of control now).

fspilot747

Sat Mar 30, 2002 8:20 am

Singapore Air: "Isn't he the leader of Hamas (correct me if I'm wrong)."

Dude, you really don't know what your talking about.

"And then we have the Palestinians clinging on to land which isn't theirs anyway (correct me if I'm wrong) blowing up the main people's (jews) land!."

Singapore Air: Are you nuts? The land was inhabited by the palestinians. They had their homes there. Find an old map and you'll see "Palestine" written on it.

"This is my first post on the Israel/Palestinian thing so any comments on how to formulate future views welcome."

Yeah, don't just "formulate" views unless you know what your talking about. Dust off an old history book and read up...good luck

-FSPilot747

N400QX

Sat Mar 30, 2002 8:23 am

Just a quick question for the pro-terrorist folks here:

Is Israel "attacking" Palestinian government compounds or "refugee camps" for any reason OTHER than responding to terrorist acts?

Answer that. Yes or no?

SInGAPORE_AIR

Sat Mar 30, 2002 8:24 am

"Singapore Air: Are you nuts? The land was inhabited by the palestinians. They had their homes there. Find an old map and you'll see "Palestine" written on it."

Bible

"Dust off an old history book and read up...good luck" no need for the harshness!

Sat Mar 30, 2002 8:51 am

Is Israel "attacking" Palestinian government compounds or "refugee camps" for any reason OTHER than responding to terrorist acts?

Both. But they're plan for this week in concentrating the Government compound.

roguetrader

Sat Mar 30, 2002 8:55 am

Just a quick question for the pro-terrorist folks here:

Answer that. Yes or no?

I'll bite on that, despite the pro-terrorist remark.

Yes. It is attacking Palestinian areas because Israel obviously has a goal to perpetuate the cycle of violence.

Israel knows that other world events have already put many in the West in something of a suspicous mood, to say the least, of anything Arab or Muslim related.

So, if ever there was a time to garner or increase support against its Arab citizens/neighbors, now would be the time. Perpetuating the circle of violence means more opportunities for Israel to show everyone how evil the Arabs are and how peace-loving it is.

kind regards,

RogueTrader

N400QX

Sat Mar 30, 2002 8:55 am

"Singapore Air: Are you nuts? The land was inhabited by the palestinians. They had their homes there. Find an old map and you'll see "Palestine" written on it."

Yes, old maps will say "Palestine" because the colony was named Palestine in the last few hundred years. I don't know what kind of argument you're trying to make though-- it doesn't matter what the name of the place is, or was 70 years ago. Jews have had that land for... well, a lot longer than anyone else, whether its name was switched to Palestine or not.

As to who the leader of HAMAS is, that'd be the Sheikh Ahmad Yassin, who Arafat has publicly embraced in the recent past.

SInGAPORE_AIR

Sat Mar 30, 2002 8:56 am

As always... Bible?

ryanb741

Sat Mar 30, 2002 9:00 am

The incredible thing regarding Yassin is that he's a paraplegic, totally wheelchair-bound. I guess I'm just trying to imply that he's not exactly the most difficult target to 'get rid of' if you catch my drift. I'm amazed he hasn't been taken out yet.

They had a BBC interview at his home last year - the amount of crap he was talking was bewildering. Although I don't agree with Israeli politics all of the time, I am pretty certain that the Jews aren't 'the people forsaken by God' and that the Jews 'have been corrupted by Satan' - the nonsense this guy was on about. The guy was a maniac - if he was in the UK he would have been banged up in a mental hospital by now!

Sat Mar 30, 2002 9:10 am

Here's what Arafat had to say when he was 'trapped' by Israeli armies. Al Jazeera was interviewing him during the Israel attck.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/monitoring/media_reports/newsid_1900000/1900476.stm

One more thing is that Israel is making themself looks bad and putting themself in a dangerous situation.

Israel is defending themself and destroying the so-called terrorist. But if they demolished Palestan, does this mean Israel will enjoy peace forever? No.

Don't forget Israel has other neighbours which Israel also considers as Terrorists. For example: Lebanon, Jordan.

Although Jordan is neutral on this, BUT, one thing you have to realize that eventhough the Government is neutral, but their citizens IS NOT.

Just recall your memory on Sep 11. Government was mourning for the Americans, but their citizens was freaking out having a party to celebrate.

Sat Mar 30, 2002 9:12 am

how can israel incit the terrorists when it withdraw froms the lands,

Israel has not withdrawn from any lands. Do you not think that refusing the Palestinian leader to attend peace talks about his own country(state) isn't inciting violence? Wake up and enter the real world will you.

wants a ceasefire '

I no longer believe Israel wants a ceasefire and I think they've now made that pretty clear.

yet the palestinians still continue,

Just as you must differentiate Israelis from jews, you must differentiate Palestinians from the terrorists. Not all Palestinians are terrorists, you need to keep that in mind.

it seem quite clear adg that you have misinterpreted the situation in order to cling to your belief that the palestinians are the good guys in this and have been victimised.

At no stage have I ever suggested the Palestinians are the good guys, I merely say that the Israelis are just as bad as the Palestinian terrorists. The Israeli military murder three times the number of Palestianians than terrorist do Israelis.

israel keeps on getting attacked and then responds,

and you don't think this revenge isn't going to incite more violence?

to me it seems that the terrorists are goading israel.

Perhaps so, and perhaps they are merely responding to constant revenge attacks from the Israelis .. you know, the ones that never end up here in these forums. The strafing of houses, the murder of children in schools, the razing of houses, the refusal of medical treatment to these people, the deliberate control of water in Palestine to ensure that Israel has access to the water rather than the Palestinians .. need I go on?

israel has tried restraint but it doesnt work, terrorists dont listern to peace calls.

When has Israel tried restraint? WHEN?

they dont want peace, end of story.

No, Israel doesn't appear to want peace. But lets clear that up .. the Israeli GOVERNMENT doesn't appear to want peace and their citizens are paying the price.

arafat is a member of a terrorist organisation which has been responsbile for many of the latest terror attacks.

Arafat is the accepted leader of the country(state) and any murder of him by the Israelis will make a martyr of him. Are people really so stupid that they can't see whats about to happen?

I don't believe the Palestinians are right, I don't believe the terrorists should be killing. But then again, I don't believe the Israelis have the right to do what they are doing either.

N400QX

Sat Mar 30, 2002 9:14 am

>Yes. It is attacking Palestinian areas because Israel obviously has a goal to perpetuate the cycle of violence.

That is false. They want nothing more than for the violence to stop- their civilians are dying and they're loosing money from tourism, for example.

I would be jubilant the day there is peace and there are no suicide bombings-- a day it would be totally safe for me to go there (even though I'd probably go anyway).

Ryanb741-- about Yissin, you're right. Quadraplegic, nearly blind... I can't believe this man is still in control, much less alive. You're right that he is an easy target and I guess that if he was taken out now (with his death probably not too far off) by the Israeils, HAMAS would avenge his death and it wouldn't be pretty. I guess they should let him die naturally.

roguetrader

Sat Mar 30, 2002 9:17 am

Jews have had that land for... well, a lot longer than anyone else, whether its name was switched to Palestine or not.

This is not the case. The Jewsish state of Israel was started at the end of WWII from land occupied by Arabs since about 1300ad. Before that the Romans. The Jews had it last in 70 AD and are in fact the group of people who have spent the least amount of time on the land.

kind regards,

RogueTrader

ryanb741

Sat Mar 30, 2002 9:19 am

I'll wager that even if he dies naturally, somebody will want to 'martyr' themselves because of it.

That's what I find so unsettlind. Sure, fighting is justified if for defence purposes, but all this desire to actually WANT to die in order to become a Martyr, now that's bizarre IMHO.

Sat Mar 30, 2002 9:25 am

Ryan,

If Isreal withdrew back within the original 1948 borders they could put the UN into Palestine and force peace. The UN created this problem, it is really up to them to resolve it.

Involvement of Israel in the peace process will not work given the depth of hatred on both sides!

Zach

do you really think that the Israeli government gives a hoot about tourism? If they really wanted to stop the circle of revenge attacks why did they refuse to allow the leader of Palestine to attend the peace talks? Seems to have only one function, to incite the terrorists, which it did. (surprise?)

ryanb741

Sat Mar 30, 2002 9:29 am

ADG, I'm not disputing the fact that the Palestinians were given a raw deal, it's just all these 'martyrdom' attacks are really warped IMHO. I guess what I'm saying is that its a case of Israel today, maybe the UK/Australia etc tomorrow. Obviously Sept 11th was a major case in point.