Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TSV

RE: England Beat West Indies!

Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:26 pm

I was just looking at this to see if it had started again :

http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/NEW/LIVE/frames/AUS_SL_T3_24-28MAR2004.html

and was intrigued by Vass' initials so clicked on his profile to see what his full name was :

http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/PLAYERS/SL/V/VAAS_WPUJC_08002166/

Warnakulasuriya Patabendige Ushantha Joseph Chaminda Vaas

I think that even beats Laxman's effort!

[Edited 2004-03-25 05:27:11]
"I told you I was ill ..." Spike Milligan

BarfBag

Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:14 pm

Warnakulasuriya Patabendige Ushantha Joseph Chaminda Vaas

I don't see what's the big deal about this. Its quite straightforward really, and more importantly, is pronounced exactly as its spelled. On the other hand, I spent THREE years in high school back in the early 90s pronouncing Glenn McGrath's surname as its spelled, because I never heard it on TV and didn't know any better. Oh, the shame. I'll never live it down. Why can't Aussies use more literal spellings ? Its not the fault of the average Indian kid if he mispronounces 'McGrath' or pronounces 'Waugh' as rhyming with 'fog' (which I did briefly as an elementary school student in the mid 80s) Big grin

Banco

Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:39 pm

That reminds of the famous sketch by the Goodness Gracious Me team, who all go out for "an English" after being in the pub all day.

Naturally, chips are ordered with everything, even soup, they can't pronounce the waiter's name (James), "Hey, Jams!", and they try to order the "blandest thing on the menu". Big grin

Spot on, as ever.  Big grin

By the way, when you were trying to pronounce Glenn McGrath, along came Anthony McGrath whose surname IS pronounced as it is written. This is part of our plot to make you feel guilty about us leaving 60 years ago, I hope you feel suitably chastened.  Big grin

She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

TSV

Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:12 pm

"Its not the fault of the average Indian kid if he mispronounces 'McGrath' or pronounces 'Waugh' as rhyming with 'fog' (which I did briefly as an elementary school student in the mid 80s)"

It all depends if you want a job in the Telstra call centre in Delhi or whereever it is located in India (methinks when will stupid Aussie management stop exporting jobs?).

BarfBag

Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:18 pm

By the way, when you were trying to pronounce Glenn McGrath, along came Anthony McGrath whose surname IS pronounced as it is written. This is part of our plot to make you feel guilty about us leaving 60 years ago, I hope you feel suitably chastened.

Eh ? So you'd rather you guys were still around ? Isn't that taking way too much trouble just to explain the nuances of the various pronunciations of 'McGrath' to us ? You could just as well achieve that by having two permanent consular representatives, both of them named McGrath, with different pronunciations of course  Big grin Sort of like Thompson and Thomson in 'Tintin'  Smile

Getting back to cricket, whats the prediction for the next 2 Eng-WI tests ? I think it'll be 3-0 for England, or even a whitewash. Quite a case of sweet revenge 20 years after Viv Richards' superteam blew England out of the water. Oh, and I'm backing England, just for your information. I know its rather unnatural of me, but I like being magnanimous once in a while. Don't get used to it though Big grin

I'm *very* surprised how well Warne has done in SL so far, btw. I seriously expected Murali to drive the Aussies nuts, and assumed Warne would get as much purchase against Lankans as he has against us, which is very little. Quite a class act, if you ignore the very innocent stuff he discusses with women on telephones  Big grin

TSV

Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:16 pm

"I'm *very* surprised how well Warne has done in SL so far, btw."

You shouldn't be really. Give any Aussie a years holiday and they'll come back bigger (or leaner in Warnie's case) and better (more focussed) than ever.

Even though Mitires a bit flat he'll probably still end up with more wickets than Warne for the series as Warne looks to be struggling in this last Test.

BarfBag

Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:31 pm

"A year's holiday" ?! That's the best euphemism for a drug ban I've ever heard Big grin But seriously, I did expect Warne was hungry and all that, but my point was that the Lankans are generally very good players of spin (after all they play Murali in the nets!), and I don't recall Warne having been so effective on Lankan pitches in the past. Quite a fascinating series though, the way the Aussies fought back from behind in the two tests. I think the third one will be drawn, though.

TSV

Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:43 pm

"I think the third one will be drawn, though."

No I think Australia will uphold it's reputation of losing dead rubbers and Sri Lanka will not want to lose in a clean sweep at home.

Banco

Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:56 pm

No, I reckon the Aussies will either draw or win that one.

Back to West Indies - England, the Barbados test strip is rumoured to be something of a batsman's track. This strikes me as completely bonkers. The Windies are 2-0 down in a four match series, England need only a draw to win the whole thing. Surely they need a result strip? Take the gamble.

By the way, did you see the rumours in New Zealand that Chris Cairns is going to announce his retirement from Test cricket?

TSV

Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:06 pm

"No, I reckon the Aussies will either draw or win that one."

Ya reckon? Have a look at the Day 3 Stumps score. You wouldn't want to bet on it! (That is unless you really really want another bloody England jersey - or would it be an MCC One Dayer Bluey?)

Banco

Sat Mar 27, 2004 12:23 am

Seems fairly even to me - Jason Gillespie isn't really a wicket to worry about.

Are you watching it down there? Is the pitch deteriorating?

(No, I wouldn't bet on it  Big grin )

BarfBag

Sat Mar 27, 2004 12:53 am

No I think Australia will uphold it's reputation of losing dead rubbers

Ah ha.. so that's the secret of beating the Aussies. Let them take the series and then mop up the dead rubbers. Maybe England ought to extend the Ashes to 9 tests/series. That'll give Banco the chance to indignantly respond "thrashed by the Aussies ? We did win four tests, didn't we ?"  Big grin

Banco

Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:13 am

Actually, before India's mighty effort last year, not only were England the last team to win on Australian soil from the year before, but they were the last team before that to win there, from the previous tour.

"Thrashed by the Aussies" has not exactly been a purely English experience over the last few years, has it?  Big grin

TSV

Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:01 am

Stumps - Day 4 Sri Lanka require another 352 runs with 10 wickets remaining

SL should win this tomorrow.

Banco

Sun Mar 28, 2004 4:40 am

SL should win this tomorrow.

Good one, Tsv, don't forget the smilies next time.  Insane  Big grin

I reckon (weather permitting) Australia will win by 150 runs.

TSV

Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:30 pm

Sorry didn't know how to add them except for the old way so had to learn the new way like  Wink/being sarcastic .

But I was serious. SL have made a reasonable start but looks like they might not get there now as their run rate is a bit down. Don't think our guys on that wicket can get 10 in a day (or 8 more as it is now).

Banco

Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:30 pm

Whatever you do, Tsv, don't go into business as a bookie.  Big grin

Australia won by 121 runs.

In the Pakistan -India match, Virender Sehwag went berserk (as usual) finishing 227 not out after day one.

TSV

Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:12 am

OK. But you must admit when one is wrong about these things it's still bloody good!

Umm dare I ask what happened between Rule Brittania and Vive le France today? (And please don't mention the Reds!)

Banco

Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:35 am

France were terrific, that's why they won.

England are definitely misfiring at the moment, they're certainly not the side we saw demolishing all and sundry over the last couple of years. They actually played well second half, nearly turning a 21-3 half time deficit around and losing 24-21; but if truth be told, had England snatched it at the end it would have been an injustice.

This year I expected France to beat England, they were so desperate for revenge after the world cup semi-final. I didn't expect them to lose to Ireland though.

Still, I think that England and France are the two best sides in the world anyway. When are they next playing in the southern hemisphere? It'll be interesting to see their full side out against New Zealand and Australia, after the 3rd XV that went there last year and then played the 3rd/4th place playoff.

BarfBag

Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:30 pm

So the Aussies whitewashed the Lankans after all. Amazing. It certainly puts India's recent performance against Australia in even greater perspective, considering the Lankans are no longer the whippings boys of a dozen years ago and are quite dangerous at home.

The Proteas need to score 234 to level the series, and they seem to be making a hash of it, at 3 down for less than 80 right now. Martin is once again the one who made the breakthroughs, getting Gibbs and Rudolph.

TSV

Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:59 pm

"So the Aussies whitewashed the Lankans after all. Amazing. It certainly puts India's recent performance against Australia in even greater perspective,"

Well when you think of it as : against India in Australia, Australia was down a couple or three front line quicks (not to mention Warne as well in the spinners)so could not press home any fast bowling advantage at home; while in SL quicks are not so much of a factor anyway and with Warne back the spinning side of things was back up to scratch where it should be in a country where it's all important; so really it's not overly amazing (although a very good achievement - something that has never done before) and not taking anything away from India as India's performance in Australia certainly was very good as well.

BarfBag

Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:09 pm

Oh I certainly agree, though Warne being in the team would probably not have mattered much against India considering his past performances against us. McGrath being around might have mattered though. What's the latest status on McGrath anyway ? Is his leg healed yet ? When's he coming back, if at all ?

Its lunch on day 2 for the India-Pakistan match right now.
India 467/2
Sehwag 292*
Tendulkar 106*

BarfBag

Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:48 am

Sehwag was finally dismissed for 309, and India declared at 675/5, with Tendulkar unbeaten on 194. Sachin has not yet been dismissed in this calender year, with his last three innings being 242*, 60* and 194* . India's first innings totals in the last two tests have been 705/7d and 675/5d . Amazing.

I was a trifle disappointed Sehwag didn't overhaul Hayden's 380, or even go on to be the first quad centurion. Oh well, maybe next time. He did make his triple ton away against a powerful Pakistani pace battery, not a Zimbabwean schoolgirl attack like Hayden did  Wink/being sarcastic

Banco

Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:48 am

A triple ton and you're disappointed?  Wow!

Barfbag, you are a very hard man to please.  Big grin

BarfBag

Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:12 pm

Its all about the symbolism of 300. When you make a hundred no one really cares about whether you'll make it to 200. At 200, there's a faint interest in seeing you get to 300. At 300 the excitement really gets going because you're less than a hundred away from the world record. A quad century would have definitely been awesome - it would have had the same effect as Bradman's 337 (the first triple ton) did. And besides, since India has been the biggest slacker as far as triple tons go, it would have been nice to set a maiden quad ton mark to our name and wait for the rest of you to catch up  Big grin

Banco

Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:33 pm

Now that's a good point. Considering the players that India have had over the years, it's quite amazing that it's taken until now for someone to post one.

And yes, I know what you mean about when a player reaches 300. I remember the groan that went around the ground when Graham Gooch was dismissed for 333.

TSV

Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:43 pm

"He did make his triple ton away against a powerful Pakistani pace battery, not a Zimbabwean schoolgirl attack like Hayden did"

Way to demean his effort and RECORD. Remember he made it in the first innings on the WACA (a ground that India never got to face even a third string Australian attack on last trip and for which they are probably still grateful and not to mention a ground that England still has nightmares over - sorry Banco couldn't resist that one) and his percentage of the total 51.7% (and they lost 6 wickets) whereas Sehwag's was 45.8% (and they lost only 5 wickets). All that points to Hayden's RECORD being a great achievement no matter which way you look at it.

BarfBag

Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:16 am

Tsv:
1. There's no comparison between India's past inaptitude with respect to the WACA and that of Hayden. He's an Aussie bat, and certainly knows how to handle that wicket a hell of a lot better than we (or the Englishmen) do. Besides, doesnt he play for WA ?
2. We played a couple of one-dayers there. And we did play a test in Brisbane, which is hardly a spinner's paradise, and came out of it with honours even, though it was rain-marred.
3. There's a huge difference between Pakistan and Zimbabwe as far as their bowling goes, no matter how you argue it. Zimbabwe doesn't have three bowlers sending down 150km/h thunderbolts all the while, or a quality spinner.
4. Whats the deal with % of total score ? Surely Sehwag can't barge in there and ask his teammates not to score too much  Smile

Sure 380 is a phenomenal achievement, and I don't deny that. I merely emphasized the differences of the bowling attacks Hayden and Sehwag faced, with perhaps a bit of poetic license. You're getting awfully hyper about this - you need a beer or three  Big grin

TSV

Wed Mar 31, 2004 2:48 am

1. Hayden's a QUEENSLANDER not a bloody Sandgroper!
2. There is no comparison between the WACA and the Gabba.
3. The performance of the attack does depend on the wicket - the extent of this dependence is subject to a number of variables.
4. I am looking at the performance in the context of the match and the performance of team mates against the so called incomparable attacks.

I'm not getting "hyper" and I don't drink - just don't like a fantastic historical RECORD like that being trivialised.

airjampanam

Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:05 am

Holy S**T!!!
Not one poster from the US on this topic?
This was huge sports news in the UK and the Caribbean!
WOW
Is this the only way to exclude us Americans from a topic?
 Smile
Suing is the new Lotto... if u wanna win u gotta sue!

BarfBag

Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:29 am

2. There is no comparison between the WACA and the Gabba.

The Gabba is still a great place for a fast bowler. The intention of playing the first test there was obvious, though it didn't work against us. Could be because the rain made it more suited to seamers like Zaheer. Or that Brett Lee was out then.

3. The performance of the attack does depend on the wicket - the extent of this dependence is subject to a number of variables.

Granted. The Multan pitch is deader than a doornail.

4. I am looking at the performance in the context of the match and the performance of team mates against the so called incomparable attacks.

Context of the match ? Why does an Australia-Zimbabwe (#1 vs bottomrung) match have greater context than India-Pakistan (arch rivals, roughly same rank, much anticipated series) ? Performance of teammates is debatable. Hayden contributing 51% of his team score could just as well be argued as an indictment of his teammates as praise to his achievement. Besides Sehwag got out with the team total at 508, which means he scored 60% of the team score at that point. Australia declared at the point of Hayden's dismissal, so he contributed *fewer* of his team's runs at the point of completion of his innings than Sehwag - just goes to show how statistics can be twisted. Their strike rates were almost the same - Hayden got to 300 in 362 balls, Sehwag in 363.

The whole argument about % of team totals and match context is superfluous. Both Sehwag and Hayden did a tremendous job. You're going overboard about my comment without even bothing to note the smiley at the end of that statement. Why would any genuine cricket lover care to trivialize a batting world record ?

TSV

Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:33 pm

"The Gabba is still a great place for a fast bowler. The intention of playing the first test there was obvious, though it didn't work against us."

Huh? Intention? Where did you want to play it? Cairns or Darwin? Then you be complaining like anything that it wasn't a fitting venue like your team did when they played in Mackay during the World Cup. Historically look at where Test Series have started. If Australia had any "intention" of flogging India by an innings the ACB would have put them on the WACA! Your team can thank their lucky stars that "the bottom rung" Zimbabweans played there instead of India. A good comparision between the two pitches would be a very good fast bowler may hurt you on the Gabba but a very good fast bowler will kill you on the WACA!

"You're going overboard about my comment without even bothing to note the smiley at the end of that statement."

As you can see from the above post I don't speak "smiley". I just read the words.

"Why would any genuine cricket lover care to trivialize a batting world record ?

I don't know I can only hope they wouldn't.

Dasa

Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:17 pm

Tsv, the WACA is no longer the fast bowlers paradise it once was, and is comparable to the Gabba. In fact, Perth is probably THE most batsman-friendly wicket in Australia at the moment, and the particular timing of the Zimbabwe test meant it was even more batsman-friendly than it usually is. Sure, Hayden made the world record, but in my mind, that 380 does not rank alongside many many other fine innings, played in much more difficult conditions against a good quality attack. Zimbabwe only had one marginally world-class bowler in the team that played Aus, that being Heath Streak.

TSV

Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:14 am

Dasa your "argument" is unconvincing. I'm a reasonable person. An "argument" will be convincing when everyone in a Bulls XI says they'd rather bat on the WACA than on the Gabba; and even as Banco says I'm a shithouse bookie I know no one will ever give you odds on that.

Dasa

Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:33 pm

I didn't realise fact was an argument. Geez, some of you tend to take your support of Australia to nationalistic levels. Can you not admit that Hayden's record was made against a sub-standard attack on an excellent batting wicket? Much like Sehwag's 300, except Sehwag made his against some of the best bowlers around.

TSV

Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:03 pm

The only fact is it's a WORLD RECORD.

Banco

Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:37 pm

Of course it's a world record.

Nevertheless, it is true that many observers of the game have expressed regret that it came against such a weak side as Zimbabwe rather than one of the major powers. It is the highest score ever by a Test batsman, and that's the end of the matter as far as it goes. But it will be forever pointed out that those he eclipsed did it against stronger sides, and on that basis many will feel that Lara, Sobers and Hutton's were the greater innings.

I think the truth of the matter is that with the state of cricket in Zimbabwe, the arrival of Bangladesh, the likely addition of Kenya in the next decade, there will be ample opportunity for Test records to be beaten.

BarfBag

Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:59 pm

For sheer scale of achievement, among triple centurions my personal #1 would easily be Hanif Mohammad's 337 against the Windies in Bridgetown, 1958, for several reasons:
a) The Windies were powerful - Sobers, Hunte, Kanhai, Walcott, Weekes, Gilchrist, Atkinson, Valentine...
b) It was in the 2nd innings; Pak were following on 473 behind.
c) He batted 970 minutes - the longest innings in test history.

That's something else. I'd also rate Taylor's and Bradman's (334) knock highly. Taylor scored against Shoaib Akhtar and company on a fast Peshawar pitch. Bradman faced Larwood and Tate at Headingley - probably a wet pitch.

Among non-300 scores, yes, I can't think of any other knock besides Laxman's epic series-changing 281. It was probably the most stupefying knock I've known in my own lifetime. I'd rate it on par with Hanif's knock. Even if it was numerically fewer, it broke the back of the hitherto unconquerable Aussie team. Further, Dravid made 180; in Hanif's case, no one else crossed 95.

Banco

Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:14 pm

The thing to remember about these performances back in history is that they were on uncovered pitches. So, if it rained, you were stuffed. Many of the performances viewed as amongst the best were only for 60 or 70 runs, but on a quagmire.

As an aside, Barfbag, and by no means belittling VVS's extraordinary knock, Shane Warne said that Mark Butcher's 173 not out on a terrible pitch on the last day at Headingley was the best he'd ever seen.

BarfBag

Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:35 pm

Oh, I forgot Butcher. Heard it was an awesome knock, but I really didn't follow it much, and my involvement in it was no where near the scale of how closely, breathlessly even, I kept up with the Laxman/Dravid knock. So my own choice was a matter of personal opinion, and I have really no complaint about Warne thinking otherwise  Smile

Banco

Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:45 pm

Well that's the difficulty isn't it? If you haven't seen it, it's hard to comment. I only kept up with Laxman's 281 via the internet, sat at work in disbelief as that game unfolded.

Another innings that was quite extraordinary to see was Nathan Astle's double hundred off 150 balls against England. I don't think it can be considered a truly great innings because it was in circumstances where New Zealand were on the brink of defeat so he had nothing to lose. Still, going from 100 to 200 in about 30 balls was absolutely incredible, and they got to within 80 runs of the target.

In a funny way, I almost wished NZ had won that game. If they had, I think Astle's performance might well have gone down as the greatest of all time. Certainly, I was beginning to get very nervous until Cairns (who was injured - again - and at number 11) was finally out.

TSV

Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:25 pm

No offence Banco but as much as I would like to see England win the series against the Windies (yes seriously) I hope the Windies win the next Test so someone starts a "West Indies bounce back and beat England" thread so we can kill this thread off seeing it's diverged from the original topic.

Banco

Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:31 pm

It doesn't matter does it?

Anyway, it diverged during the periods when England and the West Indies weren't playing.

The third test starts in a couple of hours.  Big grin

David_itl

Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:41 am

Good 1st day for England despite Trescothick getting out cheaply again. WI should have made a big total but they decided that instead of playing calypso cricket, they would play collapso cricket which led to them being all out for 224 after being 167-3. Surprised to see Flintoff leading the way with his 1st 5-for (and to be honest, I can't recollect too many occasions when he's got 5-for for Lancashire!). One down side for England was three relatively easy chances being grassed (with Flintoff suffering twice) though Lara looks to be looking near his best whilst Sarwan and Chanderpaul also showed signs of good form.

David

Banco

Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:26 pm

Trescothick's place must be in some jeopardy. His footwork is absolutely shocking for a club player, let alone a Test player. More than that, minimal footwork can be overcome of the balance is there, but with him it just isn't. Being continually bowled off the inside edge is not misfortune, it's rank bad technique.

David_itl

Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:59 pm

Get Butcher to open or promoto Strauss? Hopefully, they should be around the 300 mark by the end of today, give or take the thrower err.. slingshot bowler. Have you read today's Daily Telegraph? It's got a piece on how Murali is not throwing in his normal delivery mode, so the results of the doosra variant testing that took place yesterday could be interesting.

David

Banco

Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:19 am

Yes, I did read that article. Very interesting indeed. I suppose ultimately you have to go with the experts on this, no matter how it looks to us.

By the way, Sarwan's just dropped a dolly at slip off Vaughan. Big grin

I would say Strauss. Butcher's doing a terrific job at number three, i don't see any reason to mess him about.

David_itl

Sat Apr 03, 2004 5:16 am

If England get to 200, they might still be in with a chance of winning the game (hopefully Thorpe will decide to receive approximately 99.9% of the bowling from now on!).

David

TSV

Sat Apr 03, 2004 6:24 am

You've got your wish - the 200 is up. Thorpe appears to be batting very well.

David_itl

Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:06 am

And we took the lead (perhaps Thorpe's the best batting performance I've seen "live") and then led Chris Gayle up the garden path before delivering the sucker punch with Harmison bowling a full length after 3 consecutive short balls were pulled for 4 to leave the Windies 19-1 at the close, just 17 ahead. All set for very close match.

David