Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ThomasCook
Topic Author

Thomson Holidays Complaints

Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:55 am

Hi,

I was just wondering if anybody can provide me with the address to send complaints about Thomson Holidays/TUI UK?

Regards
ThomasCook

FLYtoEGCC

RE: Thomson Holidays Complaints

Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:22 am

Taken from the Thomson website:

If you have already been on holiday and wish to contact us in writing, please send your correspondence to:

Customer Service Department
Thomson Holidays,
Greater London House,
Hampstead Road,
London NW1 7SD

Telephone: 0870 607 1642
Fax: 020 7391 0140

What went wrong?

ThomasCook
Topic Author

Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:47 am

Hi,

Thanks for that!

We where promised 3T HOTEL accommodation and instead received a flooded apartment which was freezing cold, not helped by a lack of winter blankets, broken air conditioning and radiators. Also we where forced to walk through freezing cold flood water and over planks of wood to reach the room!

To add to this, there was drug users who had traveled with Thomson using drugs at the hotel and the reps where rude to customers with complaints.

I will be avoiding Thomson and TUI for that matter in the future!

Regards
ThomasCook

alcregular

Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:08 am

So I gather you will be travelling with TCX in future? Where were you staying?

ThomasCook
Topic Author

Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:25 am

Hi,

Alcregular

Hotel Uyal

In regards to TCX....no....

I will be travelling with MyTravel and Airtours holidays from now on.

Regards
ThomasCook

Banco

Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:39 am

Did you complain when you were in resort?

ThomasCook
Topic Author

Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:50 am

Hi,

Yes, but whilst on holiday I try not too. For one, you shouldn't have to make complaints whilst your away.

Regards
ThomasCook

Catatonic

Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:40 am

I hate thomsons, they have all the resorts that are dumps! Its how they make their money.

alcregular

Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:42 am

Catatonic,

They use the same resorts as other hooliday companies, so why do you think it makes any difference? So every resort is a dump is it?

ThomasCook
Topic Author

Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:14 am

Hi,

Thomson do seem to take a special and peculiar interest in places such as Palma Nova and Benidorm! Two places that I despise! They really do seem to dedicate themselves to the bucket and spade routes that people are long since losing interest in!

Airtours on the other hand have always been on the forefront of new destinations like the Caribbean and suchlike.

Thomson have sure lost my family as customers!

I can't wait for my next holiday in May in Santorini with MyTravel's Greek arm - Manos.

Regards
ThomasCook

FLYtoEGCC

Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:20 am

Regardless of whether TUI/Thomson use dodgy resorts or not (I've seen from the brochures they do some beautiful ones as well), we've never used them because their prices are extortionate.

One you should consider, and a company we've been with lots of times and only once had a problem with (which wasn't directly their fault) was Eclipse Direct, the lower-price arm of First Choice. Quite a few of the holidays they sell are identical to the equivalent in the full price First Choice brochures, and you can save thousands on a family holiday if you look around carefully and compare prices. As a member of a family of satisfied customers, I'd suggest anyone looking for a package holiday looks at them.

Enjoy Santorini!

Ben.

ThomasCook
Topic Author

Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:30 am

Hi,

MyTravel's Direct Holidays brand is a similar concept to First Choice's and offer great holidays at good prices also.

I will make sure to enjoy Santorini! Thanks

Regards
ThomasCook

Catatonic

Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:18 am

Whenever I have had a Thomsons holiday I have been unimpressed, this is just my personal opinion. I would definitely not recommend going AOA with them. My last holiday with Thomsons was suppose to be a minimum of 2* hotel rating. I ended up in a 1* Hostel which was mainly for 18-30's, and it was so run down I would not put a dog in there. This was to Ibiza staying at the hostel horizonte if you want to look this shack up. The other was staying at the hotel ereso and that according to my mother (I was too young to remember)was like a prison camp, metal beds and roaches the size of mice. As for brochures, any hotel can be made too look nice in then, and how small are those pictures anyway?!?! Recently (since moving up north) I have started traveling more with My Travel, you cant beat them for value and quality. The only redeeming quality about booking a thomsons holiday is being able to fly Britannia, and now that's more or less out the window too!

ThomasCook
Topic Author

Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:14 am

Hi,

Catatonic

I totally agree with you about Thomson. They will never see our money again and the BY flights where also awful or should I say Thomsonfly.com?

In future all are holidays will take place with MyTravel Group as they are flawless and we have never had any problems with them previously.

Regards
ThomasCook

saintsman

Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:01 pm

If you are paying to stay in a 1 or 2 star hotel / apartment that is what you will get. Too many people pay next to nothing but expect 4 star conditions. That is not to say the cheaper places should not be comfortable and clean of course but the sort of people who frequent these places are the ones who just want a place to sleep after they have been partying all night. If you only pay £100 for a holiday inc flights what do you really expect?

Also anyone who books just by looking at the brochure deserves all they get these days. There is so much information on the net about hotels and resorts there is no excuse for booking a bad place.

diesel1

Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:23 am

Thomas Cook

If the accomodation was as you described, then it was clearly not acceptable.

Have you checked the terms and conditions you agreed to when booking the holiday - some companies will not accept complaints unless they were raised at the point you were on holiday.
You should also make sure that you forward them photos etc. of the unacceptable accomodation.

When writing to them be polite, and explain the distress that you were caused.

Hysterical or rude letters will get a poor response

Also when writing to them make very clear what kind of response you expect from them in terms of how they make things better for you - otherwise you'll end up with a few credit vouchers for a holiday company you really don't fancy using again.

Finally - of the large tour operators, I have found Thomson as good as any of them get - the poorest operator was MyTravel (or Airtours as they were then) - I guess it all depends where you travel to.

One last thing... I'm sure you'll love Santorini - are you staying in Kamari? If so then enjoy the aircraft and make sure you walk along the beach to the airport.

Banco

Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:25 am

The reason why you have to raise the complaint whilst you are on holiday is because if you don't, then you've failed to give them the opportunity to put the problem right there and then.

It weakens your case substantially, because they can say that had they known they would have rectified it.

bananaboy

Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:55 am

If you don't state that there is a problem in resort, then how can the holiday company solve the problem for you? Why wait until you get home and have a bad time? If there is a problem, at least allow the company to put it right. I hate to say it ThomasCook but I doubt you will get anywhere with your complaint. Not only does it state in the back of the brochure to contact resort staff if there is a problem, I believe it is with the late deal leaflets and within the ticket wallets. Not only that, you have the 24 hour line in every resort, so there really was every opportunity to raise the issue with the operator and at least allow them the chance to help you.

Would also like to point out that Thomson have less than 1% of customers complain, substantially lower than their competition.

Catatonic

All their resorts are rubbish? You are speaking utter garbage.

As for the Ereso, can't speak for the hotel then, but now, several years on, standards in general across the Med seem to have risen...

http://www.holiday-truth.com/holiday_truths/hotel_reviews/386/Ereso%20Hotel/

I agree that ThomasCook has had cause for complaint.. you should have clean and safe accommodation whatever standard of accommodation you chose.

With regard to brochures and hotel descriptions, you should be aware that there is a solid legal case for tour operators providing 100% accurate information regarding your holiday. If not, you have a legal case. Not only is there a legal case, you also would have ABTA come down on them like a ton of bricks.

(this is a bit garbled - my apologies. MAJOR jetlag kicking in...)

ThomasCook

Thomson do seem to take a special and peculiar interest in places such as Palma Nova and Benidorm! Two places that I despise! They really do seem to dedicate themselves to the bucket and spade routes that people are long since losing interest in!

Airtours on the other hand have always been on the forefront of new destinations like the Caribbean and suchlike.

Ok....
Thomson have been in Croatia for a few years, whereas Airtours are only just expanding there. With regards to them focusing on "budget" resorts, I can't agree with you on that... Santorini, Skiathos, Sharm, Sicily (and lots more beginning with "S"  Wink/being sarcastic )
They have started major expansion other new areas like Bulgaria, and Cuba as well as those mentioned above.
Airtours do have "unique" destinations, such as Rimini (Italy's answer to Benidorm though) as well as Las Vegas. I would disagree though that their bias toward bucket and spade routes is more than Airtours or First Choice or any other major.

Mark

Catatonic

Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:58 am

Hmmm...... Bananaboy, remind us of what your previous user name was??? Not that I am suggesting any bias on your part!

bananaboy

Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:04 am

What exactly was biased about stating fact?

Mark

Catatonic

Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:18 am

So if this thread was about My Travel selling crappy holidays you would have just as sweepingly come to their defence? It says on your profile that your a sales manager for a cruise company, are you familiar with the Thomsons cruise ship that recently featured on cruises from hell on ITV? On that cruise ship even though it was proven that there was a food poisoning outbreak they still dismissed it. My point is, when things go wrong with thomsons they really don't want to know. They arent prepared to admit anything is wrong and arent willing to do anything about it if they did. OK I admit that it was a sweeping generalisation to say that all their resorts are dumps, but from past experiences, and I went with thomsons a lot (they use to operate a lot from CWL) the places I've stayed are shacks and over priced ones at that! I'm suprised after the crap they gave to you about your user name that you would still have good words about them.

[Edited 2004-11-25 00:20:12]

bananaboy

Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:35 am

I believe in the product, despite the fact that they were utter turds towards me about the username.

I just don't agree with you. Yes, I have a preference for Thomson, but there wasn't one thing I stated there that wasn't a fact.

I have heard vaguely about the cruise on Holidays From Hell, which I believe was the Topaz. This was years ago and they still keep showing it. But yes, it was an utter cock up. As for the program, I refuse to watch it. Tabloid TV. Not good. The program has been discredited several times on the accuracy of its reporting.

Airtours have their strengths, but
My point is, when things go wrong with thomsons they really don't want to know. They arent prepared to admit anything is wrong and arent willing to do anything about it if they did.

Maybe I seem to have a bias, but that is because I know more about what they do do behind the scenes having worked for them in resort - Yes I DID have to wear the yellow trousers - and also in the UK as Lunn Poly staff, having sold the full range of holidays. I felt that there was either a disproportionately high %age of complaints from Airtours, and unfortunately, Cosmos, when compared to Thomson, when the overall number of passenger booked through the shop was taken into account. Not scientific I know, just anecdotal. So either Thomson had less complaints than the others, or they were better at handling and resolving issues in resort. Either way, it was good news for the customer.

Anyways Mr Catatonic, I am off to zzz's

ThomasCook
Enjoy Santorini. I think its kinda hard not too! hehe

Mark

diesel1

Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:24 am

Catatonic

Thomson STILL do operate a lot from CWL

In fact they are the first company to base and use a widebody from CWL - things can't be too bad eh?

So sweeping generalisations I'm afraid. Stick to the facts.

Catatonic

Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:53 am

Diesel1: i know they still operate a lot from CWL. By saying that what I meant was in the late 80's early 90's BY was practically the main operator from CWL. If you wanted a holiday flying from CWL then the most likely option would be Thomsons and BY. There wasn't really much choice. Nowadays they have probably scaled down flights from CWL due to competition.

diesel1

Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:35 pm

Catatonic

The choice of holidays from Cardiff has probably broadened, but the late 80s / early 90s saw a different balance of tour operators from CWL.

As well as Thomson / Britannia there was Intasun / Air Europe and Aspro / Inter European AW.

As Intasun failed, Airtours increased their operations, further strengthened by their acquisition of Aspro.

CWL also saw the arrival and departure of Air World/Flying Colours/JMC.

In more recent years, First Choice / Air2000 have arrived.

In the early 90s Airtours had two based aircraft in the summer and one based through the winter - there is no longer a unit based during the winter and the summer has reduced to a unit based all week, and one based part of the week - not sure what next year will bring...

In comparison Thomson / Britannia have expanded from a single 737-200, to a 757-200, with a proportion of the summer's flying now being operated by a 767-200 - all of this doesn't feel like a scale down of operations - quite the opposite in fact.

ThomasCook
Topic Author

Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:05 pm

Hi,

This has gone completely of topic but anyhow I did complain in resort to it was to no resolution. In regards to providing evidence, why should I? I am not a detective, the Thomson reps should have inspected the accommodation before hand, not me!

Regards
ThomasCook

bananaboy

Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:02 pm

ThomasCook

Why would you have to provide evidence?

Am I missing something?

Mark

ThomasCook
Topic Author

Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:10 pm

Hi,

I am insinuating that I should not have too! I'm on holiday, I not gathering evidence! This is Thomson's fault, not mine, ABTA stand by me and feel I have a good case, so we will see! Thomson have 28 days to reply and if no word back is had, ABTA are obliged to step in!

Regards
ThomasCook

MYT332

Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:41 pm

My own story is, went with Thomson to Halkidiki in 1994. They had overbooked the hotel so we ended up staying in a spare apartment over a supermarket which was used for their own family. We complained to the rep obviously but there was nothing she could do while we were out there.

Anyway, we got home and after a few months complaining, we got the holiday refunded. Not bad although this didn't stop us using Thomson in the future.

bananaboy

Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:16 am

ThomasCook

I think I am agreeing with you....

I don't think you should have to provide evidence. But you should have given someone the opportunity go resolve the issue on the spot - they may have been able to.

Anyway, I hope that you get a satisfactory resolution to your complaint. The holiday does not sound at all acceptable.

Mark

ThomasCook
Topic Author

Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:17 am

Hi,

We did complain to the representative in resort but they just weren't interested.

I am glad we agree Bananaboy!  Big thumbs up

Regards
ThomasCook

diesel1

Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:44 am

The reason you need to collect evidence is that if they are unable or unwilling to resolve the issue at the resort then you can provide the proof of the unsatisfactory nature of the holiday - out of interest, did the rep give you any kind of confirmation that you had raised the issue with them? If not, who's to say that when you raise the issue with Thomson Holidays they will say 'we have no record of any complaint'...?

All of this may seem petty, but when you spend your hard earned money on a holiday, you do so with the intention of getting some relaxation, recharging your batteries and getting away from the stresses and strains of day to day living.
If there was ever the time you should receive a product that lives up to expectations that the seller placed on it, then this is it!

I've been fortunate enough to have almost without exception good holidays in good accomodation in good locations - perhaps because I take the time to research where I'm going.

My biggest disappointment - a late booking holiday with Airtours to Tenerife - I should have complained, but didn't - my fault.
I've had travel problems and misleading information - I've complained and made sure I got what the tour operators booking conditions stated as compensation was made available to me (you won't be suprised to find out they aren't always as forthcoming here as they promised to be...). What's more I've made sure I've got a bit more back from them too for the distress caused.
I've complained because I've found myself in an accomodation that stank of vomit and had a building site outside the front door... and this got me a move to better accomodation, a large refund on my holiday and very pleasant meal coutesy of the operator.

I'll make the point again about how to address the problem - structure your complaint - make sure they know what was wrong, how it affected you, and how you expect them to put it right - the ball is in their court. Aim high, and don't be afraid to reject the offer if it's not good enough. Get the complaint right in the first place and you may be pleasantly suprised with the response.

Good Luck.

ThomasCook
Topic Author

Fri Nov 26, 2004 3:16 am

Hi,

Diesel1

The fact is, I shouldn't need to collect information or 'evidence' regarding the problems! It is Thomson's job to ensure the property is satisfactory, not mine! If they had bothered to do they're job I wouldn't have wasted a 'sizable' amount of money and I wouldn't have had any problems!

They is no justification for what Thomson did so I don't see a point in trying to make it appear as normal practice. They have lost our respect as a company and they and the entirety of TUI AG have lost mine, my families and my friends business!

There is little point dragging Airtours or any other company into this discussion either.

Regards
ThomasCook

diesel1

Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:51 am

Thomas Cook

I'm pleased you appreciate my advice...  Wink/being sarcastic

You are right - you shouldn't have to collect evidence of the problem as you should have had satisfactory accomodation - a point I made in my last reply.

The fact is that according to your description they didn't provide satisfactory accomodation, and quite correctly you want to be compensated.

The issue is that you are going to struggle to make a case to Thomson. You allowed the rep to give you the brush off - not unsuprisingly, one of their tasks will be to deal with customer complaints and to suppress them as best they can.
Further to that you haven't got anything to give Thomson's Customer Services department other than anecdotal evidence.

I'm sure they'll compensate you somehow, but whether it will reflect the situation and meet your expectations is another thing...

A couple of other things.

You said They is no justification for what Thomson did so I don't see a point in trying to make it appear as normal practice
Where is the reference in any of the other replies that this is normal practice?

I didn't drag Airtours into the thread - you were the first person to mention them in Reply:4. What you need to understand is that all companies,whatever their business have their customer service problems. Even if you think Airtours is 'flawless' then others will disagree.
Some what unfairly, MyTravel haven't been considered the best timekeepers when it comes to charter airlines - of course there are instances where My Travel flights have been late (as of course have other charter airlines), so ask yourself the question - would all of those passengers considered My Travel / Airtours as 'flawless'?

Lastly, if you want some more unbiased advice then try http://www.holidaytravelwatch.net/

Once again good luck in your complaint.

ThomasCook
Topic Author

Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:06 am

Hi,

Sorry, I was refering to you with the justification point Big grin

I fully understand what you are saying and thanks!

Regards
ThomasCook