Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

airxliban

RE: Learning To Drive - How Long Did It Take You?

Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:02 am

I never took any lessons, my dad just taught me in my sister's 1986 Volkswagen Polo back in 1998 when I was 14.

The car looked almost exactly like this:

Except that it wasn't RHD obviously.

It really didnt take me long to learn it enough to get moving. One thing we did is my dad took me onto a slight incline and had me let the clutch up just so the car would stop still (and he was controlling the handbrake at the same time).

The part that I found hard was remembering to push the clutch in as we came to a stop.

Anyway, I fell in olve with driving and I bought a manual car myself (2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6).
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

qr332

Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:04 am

I've signed up for 5 hours a week, with a maximum of 25 hours... I should be starting this thursday, and I hope to have my liscense by late February/Early March. I'm going to be training in a Toyota Corolla.

Quoting Jetset763 (Thread starter):
I know nothing about cars and the clutch and manual transmission is doing my head it - I just can't see me getting used to it.

I've tried driving a manual in the past, and the thing I have trouble with is balancing the clutch and the accelerator... the damn car kept stalling when I first tried driving a manual!
"The greatest threat to knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Sabena332

Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:05 am

Quoting Jush (Reply 22):
Overall cost 1100€

What???????????  Wow!  Wow!  Wow!

I paid the same amount, the difference is that I paid it in DM and not in EUR!

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

Matt72033

Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:09 am

Quoting QR332 (Reply 51):
I've tried driving a manual in the past, and the thing I have trouble with is balancing the clutch and the accelerator

thats what i prefer in a manual, i feel i have so much more control over the car!

i like to be able to choose my gear too, if i'm tailgateing someone i dont what it pooping up a gear  Wink

qr332

Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:17 am

Quoting Matt72033 (Reply 53):
thats what i prefer in a manual, i feel i have so much more control over the car!

Haha, i'm sure once I get used to it i'll like it, but the problem with me is i'm a lazy bastard Big grin Qatar has crazy traffic jams, with it taking 15 minutes at times to just clear one roundabout - I would not be bothered to keep pressing clutch and removing my foot for that long.
"The greatest threat to knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Matt72033

Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:23 am

Quoting QR332 (Reply 54):
Haha, i'm sure once I get used to it i'll like it, but the problem with me is i'm a lazy bastard Qatar has crazy traffic jams, with it taking 15 minutes at times to just clear one roundabout - I would not be bothered to keep pressing clutch and removing my foot for that long.

lol yep, thats just lazy!
i think manuals are much more "fun" to drive
you dont come accross many automatic ferrari's  Wink

MDorBust

Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:26 am

Have been driveing well over a decade. Still learning every day
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

ScottishLaddie

Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:43 am

Quoting Matt72033 (Reply 55):
you dont come accross many automatic ferrari's

Ferrari like flappy paddles these days, which is partly auto atleast.  Wink My Ferrari would have to be a manual though.  Wink

I passed in 4 months, in a Skoda! Big grin More like a VW with Skoda badges though.

AirPacific747

Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:13 am

I knew how to drive almost from day 1, because of all the driving games I have been playing as a kid. I got my license in december and I have already driven 5000 km...! I really love driving and dont worry about getting used to a standard gearbox. Its a lot of fun once you get used to it and its something that you will never forget once you've learned, just like bicycling

Leezyjet

Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:49 am

Ha Ha, I used a driving game to get used to changing gear too. It was called Test Drive on the Amiga, and it was a racing game in either a Ferrari F-40 or a Porsche 959.

I also used to pay very close attention to whoever was driving when I was in a car. I also had lots of friends who were 1-2 years older so passed before I did.

I started learning with my Dad in my Mum's Fiat Panda. I drove everywhere. Anytime they were going out, I would go just to drive. I then had a few lessons to get me ready for the test. Started learning in March, passed in August, so 5 months and passed first time.

It only took me 19 days to learn to fly from 0-42 hours and a PPL !!!.

Smile
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

AirPacific747

Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:53 am

btw... I got 0 (zero) errors out of 25, where 5 errors is the maximum you can get and passed the driving exam the first time aswell  praise 

emiratesa345

Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:56 am

Driving came very naturally to me. When I was younger, my dad would take me to empty parking lots and would let me drive around. I got my full G class licence as soon as I was eligable. I even took driver training to get it faster. A few months after I got my G, I then took further training and obtained a bus driver's licence.

Mark
You and I were meant to fly, Air Canada!

Airdolomiti

Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:16 pm

I still haven't quite got the hang of driving stick, but I have driven both of my brothers' cars and I really enjoyed it.

I regret not getting my driving licence right when I turned 18, as I am much busier now, but then again, back then I used to live in Venice, and I wouldn't have driven all that much.

I am *finally* going to start in a couple of weeks (after I finish a couple exams at uni), can't wait! Hopefully I should hold my driving licence by the time I turn 20, got about 4 months which should be enough time.

I was amazed to hear that Jush paid €1100 for his licence - and I thought it was expensive in Italy! I am paying €300 for the theory course, €70 for the theory test and €100 for the driving test. On the other hand, the rate for driving lessons is €19 for every 30', which is very expensive.

'Tis a lot of money, but it's worth it in the end.

flyAUA

Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:27 pm

Hi I'm learning how to drive - had 3 hours so far and I'm totally useless. I know nothing about cars and the clutch and manual transmission is doing my head it - I just can't see me getting used to it.

Ben, it always seems impossible in the beginning. Trust me, I also thought it was very complicated the first couple of lessons, but once you have your driving license, and you've been driving a couple of months, it will become something automatic. You don't keep thinking about what to do in the future, you just do it subconsciously  Smile

How long (and how many lessons) did it take you to learn how to drive and am I the only one having problems with the clutch?

I took all my driving lessons and theory lessons (40 hours in total), plus the first aid course (8 hours total) in 3 weeks. I didn't pass the theory test the first time round because I needed 80% and only got 76%, but I passed it the second time. The practical test was no problem whatsoever Big grin
Not drinking, also isn't a solution!

Matt27

Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:35 pm

I took 10 driving lessons and 5 theory lessons. I found the theory much harder than the driving itself. On my theory test I got 61 of 65 correct answers and you need 56 to pass. I've had my license for 4 years now and I love driving.

Good luck  Smile
Man ska inte dricka rödvin i en vit hall.

qr332

Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:40 pm

Quoting Matt72033 (Reply 55):
lol yep, thats just lazy!
i think manuals are much more "fun" to drive
you dont come accross many automatic ferrari's

The average person doesn't get to drive that many Ferraris in his lifetime either!

Jetset763
Topic Author

Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:42 pm

Cheers guys some good answers and some reassurance I'm not the only one that had problems. Just finished a 2 hour lesson doing roundabouts and junctions and it went much better than my last lesson - I only stalled once Big grin.

I'm learning how to drive in a dual Clio (diesel) btw..
hAS ANYONE SEEN MY cAPSLOCK KEY?

Matt72033

Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:09 pm

Quoting QR332 (Reply 65):
The average person doesn't get to drive that many Ferraris in his lifetime either!

no, but if you read the whole quote.....i said i find manuals more fun to drive....ferrari's, being typically 'fun' cars to drive are mostly manual, hence my statement!

beowulf

Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:30 pm

Quoting QR332 (Reply 51):
the thing I have trouble with is balancing the clutch and the accelerator... the damn car kept stalling when I first tried driving a manual!

As others have stated, it requires some training.

I don't remember the requirements when I took my driver's license, but I had more driving lessons than required. Back in my days, the theory part was split: legal theory and "driving management" theory. I passed the legal part right away and flunked the "driving management" part two times. Once I had mastered that, I was allowed to the real *driving* test and I passed that right away. Oh, and I haven't been driving since 1998.

flyAUA

Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:31 am

Quoting Jetset763 (Reply 66):
I only stalled once .

Gosh... how often were you stalling before now then?!  duck   Wink

VC-10

Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:25 am

How long did it take you to learn how to drive

First mistake, you never stop learning!

RobertNL070

Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:34 am

Quoting FlyAUA (Reply 63):
plus the first aid course

Do you do mouth-to-mouth?  biggrin 

Regards, Robert  bouncy 
Born to be wild ...... until about 9 p.m.
Home = RTM, Rotterdam The Hague.

flyAUA

Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:41 am

Quoting RobertNL070 (Reply 71):
Do you do mouth-to-mouth?

Yes..... on a doll only  Sad

But I did volunteer myself to the hunky first aider for each and every demonstration since I seemed to be the only one interested. The best one was when he had to rescue me out of a car that flips over... his strong arms pulling me out while helpless me laid in there... or no wait... maybe it was when I was a motorcyclist and I laid on the floor with his face just in front of mine and he had to help poorless little me get the helmet off Big grin

*wakes up*

Yes.... it was a first aid course I'll never forget  cloudnine 

jasepl

Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:48 am

I messed about with the car in the compound for a few years before, but was never allowed to take it out on the road until I was 18. The day I turned 18, I went and got a learners' permit. 30 days after that, I had the full license. All without a single lesson.

One thing I'm glad about is that there's no written test. Who needs rules anyway!  Wink

qr332

Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:06 am

Quoting Matt72033 (Reply 67):
no, but if you read the whole quote.....i said i find manuals more fun to drive....ferrari's, being typically 'fun' cars to drive are mostly manual, hence my statement!

I know what you meant, It was a joke!

Quoting Jasepl (Reply 73):
One thing I'm glad about is that there's no written test. Who needs rules anyway!

I don't have to take one either Big grin I hope to be done after 15 lessons, I just need to get used to the clutch and gear - I can drive an automatic with no problems.

crank

Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:14 am

In january last year I took my first lessons on an automatic transmission, then did 3 sessions on a manual, then went back to automatic to practice parking. I took me about 2 months to get used to driving my parent's car which was a manual, and after driving it for about 10 months I got my own car and it took me another month to master the clutch.

Go3Team

Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:15 am

It didn't take long, as soon as I got my learners permit from DMV, I was the one driving home. Since that day over 15 years ago, I have clocked more than 1.2 million miles.
Yay Pudding!

saxdiva

Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:26 am

The State driver's test was the least of my worries. The obstacle *I* had to overcome was the Driver's School of Mom and Dad, and they wouldn't let me have a license until I could 1) drive a manual transmission car, 2) parallel park and handle a slide, 3) change a tire, oil, and brake fluid. It seemed obnoxious at the time, but I'm soooooo glad they were tough about all that now. I've met a lot of people who couldn't drive a stickshift, and it's one of those skills that seems more and more intimidating the longer you wait. When you're a teenager and just want to drive, you don't care as much what hoops they make you jump through.

By the way, I learned to drive on a 1968 Peugeot 404. It had a four-speed manual transmission with a column shifter and a really spongy clutch. After learning on that, I can still drive nearly anything.

Hang in there, folks... you'll be licensed in no time!
-Leanne
See terms for details....

jush

Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:06 pm

Quoting Saxdiva (Reply 77):
The State driver's test was the least of my worries. The obstacle *I* had to overcome was the Driver's School of Mom and Dad, and they wouldn't let me have a license until I could 1) drive a manual transmission car, 2) parallel park and handle a slide, 3) change a tire, oil, and brake fluid. It seemed obnoxious at the time, but I'm soooooo glad they were tough about all that now. I've met a lot of people who couldn't drive a stickshift, and it's one of those skills that seems more and more intimidating the longer you wait. When you're a teenager and just want to drive, you don't care as much what hoops they make you jump through.

By the way, I learned to drive on a 1968 Peugeot 404. It had a four-speed manual transmission with a column shifter and a really spongy clutch. After learning on that, I can still drive nearly anything.

Hang in there, folks... You'll be licensed in no time!
-Leanne

Just when I read that something came to my mind. As we all know (Or do we not?) they usually have automatic transmission in America.
Can someone of our American mates explain why that is? Is manual not famous over there or do you just not learn how to drive with a stickshift and a clutch?

I'm really interested cause in Germany and the rest of Europe manuals are really famous and I don't want a car with automatic. I really like driving and that is especially because you do it yourself. I wanna decide when to change and I don't even like semi-automatics or flappy pedals.

Someone bother to explain?

Thanks
jush
There is one problem with airbus. Though their products are engineering marvels they lack passion, completely.

willo

Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:59 pm

I had 8 one hour lessons and passed first time. I had been riding motorbikes for many years and I think that experience gave me a much better awareness of road conditions and other road users than had I gone straight to a car.

This applies to UK and is roughly on the same subject, does any else think it would be a good idea to have a sort of "type approval" system similar to the aviation industry, whereby you would need an assessment before driving a different type of vehicle within your licensed category?

As an example, because I took my car test many years ago, I have "grandfather" rights to drive a vehicle up to 7.5 tons without any other training. This is clearly a ridiculous! Likewise, my wife regularly drives a 4x4 towing a substantial, fully laden, horse trailer. I am not saying that we are not capable of doing this, I have driven large Iveco lorries on many occassions, but it seems odd that there was never any requirement to be checked that I could do it.

Maybe there is a need for a further check to prove that you are competent to drive a vehicle that is susbstantially different from the type you learnt on before a insurance certificate can be issued. Maybe it be could run in similar way to the motorcycle basic training?

Just think, some "Chelsea tractor" drivers might actually have to prove they could park the bl**dy thing in the space provided at their supermarket.

Your views anyone?