Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

Pu752
Topic Author

Why We Pilots Love What We Do?

Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:11 pm

Since I was a 5yr old kid, I knew what I was going the rest of my life, " please mom take me to the airport" , how the hell was i supposed to know that with 5yrs ? in my case this was on my heart since the first minute I was on this earth !

I want you guys to tell me how did you decide to become a pilot or why do you like planes!

Mir

RE: Why We Pilots Love What We Do?

Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:42 pm

I always liked airplanes, but I owe my pursuit of being a pilot to one Richard Harvey and his wonderful program Fly!2K. I thought I was going to be an architect (specializing in airports, of course  Smile ) until I bought the only flight simulator available for Mac at the time (my parents were, and still are, very opposed to violent video/computer games, so a civilan flight simulator seemed to be a good choice), and I was hooked.

Richard Harvey is no longer with us, unfortunately.  Sad  tombstone 

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

cxsjr

Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:42 pm

Well, I would've loved to have been a pilot but in those days, didn't have a clue how to go about it. The guy I used to sit next to a school managed to get a sponsorship in the RAF (I definitely didn't fancy the forces) and after two years he got a job with BA, first as a co-pilot on BAC111's. Last I heard, he was a captain on their 757's and now, apparently, he's their chief training captain for the A320 family .... we both got similar exam results too  crying 

My interest in aircraft came from living on the final approach into RAE Bedford where, as a child, we had BOAC VC10's and 707's flying over on pilot training, as well as BAE 111's and Tridents, various experimental aircraft such as those which led to the development of the harrier, and loads of other aircraft too, including twice a year, 6 Vulcans would visit for 2 weeks to do their exercises which used to climax in a scramble, usually around 4am followed by numerous complaints from local residents .... I loved it!

My first job was that of an apprentice airframe technician but sadly I didn't get on with my boss and left after a year. If I'd only waited 2 more weeks, he had a heart attack and was retired on medical grounds; his replacement was his deputy who I got on great with!!!  cry 

Looks like a career in aviation wasn't to be but if I'd followed that course, I'd never have met the love of my life!
The world is a book, those who do not travel read only one page ....

Twistedwhisper

Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:03 pm

In what way is this not related to aviation?

Quoting Cxsjr (Reply 2):
we both got similar exam results too

I can relate to that... I always "knew" that I wanted to be a truckdriver (not very glamourous, I know) and the guy that I sat next to in class went off to become an aircraft mechanic, and later did his military service as that... now he's the cheif technician at CF.
I've always loved heavy machinery (to operate them), and even though I never wanted to be a pilot per se, it is one piece of heavy machinery  biggrin 
Read between the lines.

Pu752
Topic Author

Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:07 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 1):
Richard Harvey is no longer with us, unfortunately

Our Loreto Virgin is with him, its very very sad, but he's now with our Loreto Virgin.
Lets say a pray for him!, he deserves it ! here's go my prayer in spanish by me ;

"Mi señora Virgen de Loreto si mis alas caen dejame caer en tus brazos"

N231YE

Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:14 pm

I don't know...but I love to fly.

To make a long story short, I won a trip when I was 8 to go see MaryKate and Ashley Olson (the Olson twins). But after my first flight, I pretty much said screw them, I only care about flying.

Just luck or a coincidence that was meant to be, I have loved to fly ever since.

TedTAce

Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:18 pm

Quoting N231YE (Reply 5):
I pretty much said screw them

Signed,

95% of A.net
This space intentionally left blank

Mir

Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:29 pm

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 6):
I pretty much said screw them

Signed,

95% of A.net

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

ShyFlyer

Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:18 am

I had a vague interest in aviation up until the summer before I was to enter the 6th grade. I was on a trip with my mother to see family in West Virginia when, waiting for out connecting flight in PIT, I was glued to the window. I began to wonder how I could figure out the differences between the MD-80s and DC-9s I was seeing. It snowballed from there as by appetite for all things aviation from what is that aircraft out there called to how do I get to become a pilot grew by leaps and bounds.

Now having my PPL, I'm still in love with flying. I can't imagine another profession where I would be as happy as I am when I'm around aircraft. I guess what I like about it so much is that while flying is a science, so much of it is an art form at the same time.
I lift things up and put them down.

FlyUSCG

Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:28 am

I grew up in between MCAS El Toro and MCAS Tustin. So my childhood was spent listening to and watching F-18's, C-130's, CH-53's and CH-46's flying over my house and literally shaking the pictures on the wall. My dad and I would ride our bikes to the El Toro Airshow every year and I would also sit in my bonus room upstairs and watch all the planes fly in for the couple days before. I also took excessive "bathroom breaks" while the Blue Angels would practice in the days leading up to the show. My 6th grade teacher actually called my house to tell my mom what I was doing, haha. My dad would also take me out of school when Air Force One would come into El Toro (he's in the Coast Guard so we could get on base no problem) and we would also go to the Command Museum every now and then. So I guess it all just stems from that. Ironically though, the first picture of me ever on a plane was on a United wide-body headed to Orland in the middle section and I do NOT look happy, haha. Who would have ever guess back then that I'd be graduating from ERAU with a flight degree and wanting to make a career out of it.
Go Trojans! Fight On!

YWG

Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:23 am

Half my family works in the business, so I guess you could say it's in my blood?

Oh...and how could I forget Big grin
Contact Winnipeg center now on 134.4, good day.

ZKSUJ

Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:38 am

My dad and I went plane spotting every fortnight since I was about 4 years old. Ever since then I've never realy wanted to do anything else

Pu752
Topic Author

Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:07 pm

Half my family works

Quoting ZKSUJ (Reply 11):
My dad and I went plane spotting every fortnight since I was about 4 years old. Ever since then I've never realy wanted to do anything else

Lucky of you, im alone regarding aviation, no parents related to this  Sad

Quoting YWG (Reply 10):
Oh...and how could I forget

LOL those are on of the things we love the most, our F/A's Big grin

HAWK21M

Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:29 pm

Quoting PU752 (Thread starter):
I want you guys to tell me how did you decide to become a pilot or why do you like planes!

I always loved Aircraft,But never wanted to be a Pilot ever,Not even today.What Interested me is How an Aircraft Equipment Functioned & Im happy Im in Maintenance.

Many Kids have dreams.Its starts with wanting to be an Astronaut or a Pilot.Finally reality sets in with Age.Dreams vary with passage of time.Some are fullfilled,Some are not.

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

mika

Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:01 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 1):
Richard Harvey is no longer with us, unfortunately.

There is a scolarship named after him, is there not?

Sadly i cant explain why i am a pilot since i'm not one..instead i have to justify to myself why i am not one.