duke
Topic Author

Your Funeral

Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:04 am

Some time ago, there was a thread about what music we want played at our funerals. Now I would like to start another about funerals in general. Have you given any thought to what you would like your funeral to be like? I have given a lot of thought to this topic (among many others), and as you are about to find out, have a VERY clear idea of what I would consider to be the right funeral arrangements for me. These are the main points I have in mind:

1. As I am an Orthodox Christian, it is imperative that I have a funeral service performed by an Orthodox priest.

2. Related to the above, I wish to be buried, not cremated. Cremation is forbidden by my church except in exceptional circumstances. On the secular level, too, I have on reflection found that cremation is not to my taste. I don't like the idea of my remains being reduced to something that can be put into a jar and carried in one's hands, shown around, put on a shelf, etc. I think it's more dignified to put the whole body into the ground or a crypt.

3. This point is not so important, and may be subject to change in the future, but I think I would want mine to be a closed casket funeral. I'm not sure I would like people to be bothered by the sight of my dead body. I like looking at a closed coffin, it seems like a dignified thing to me. A little more importantly, I would like my appearance to be respected when I am laid into the casket (namely, that, as I wear rather long hair and a beard, that these not be cut/shaved off).

4. The funeral need not be big, but I would want those friends and co-workers who might care to be invited. Family members go without saying, not that I have much of a family to speak of, for the time being at least. In Canada, unfortunately, most of my friends are dispersed, though that could change if I ever returned there to live. In Czechia, however, I think I have a reasonable circle of friends (one reason why I stayed in the country is friends) to make up a decent funeral.

5. I don't care how people dress, or what kind of emotions they wish to express. Those who wish to "celebrate my life" may. Those who wish to "mourn" may do the same.

6. If any indoor venue is to be used, a church or funeral chapel is okay, but related to what I said about cremation, I do not want the service to be in any place called a "crematorium" even if I am not cremated, if possible. I do not wish my name to be associated with such places (I am saying this because in Prague, where I now live, most people choose to be cremated, and even if they don't, the funeral may be held in one (I imagine because many people do not seriously practice a religion, so they need something to replace a church). One well-known local crematorium has been used for the burial of probably more than one famous person, because it's a big place, I imagine. But I don't like the place, it's in a dusty-looking neighborhood and the architecture looks cheap and Communist.

7. I am not Scottish, but am a piper, and would like a piper or pipers to play at the church and/or at graveside, as appropriate. I will comment more on the music than I did in the other thread: in North America, it's very common for pipers to play "Amazing Grace" at funerals. This is a recent trend, and I think it's become such a "signature tune" that it has become too standard. The result is that a lot of good laments seem to have been put aside. So in my case, I would say that the piper can play Amazing Grace if (s)he wants or someone asks for it, but I definitely want some other piece played, my first choice being the classic lament "The Flowers of the Forest" (if I were buried here in Prague, I might have to be satisfied with "Amazing Grace" and "Highland Cathedral"; that's about all the appropriate music that most of the small circle of pipers here know, beside myself).

As far as other music is concerned, if there is any, I'm okay with whatever anyone puts on, but unless there is some special significance behind a song, would (perhaps) prefer there not be any recorded music. Definitely no rock music, I would want a minimum of tradition and solemnity at the affair. I would not make a big deal over this, though.

8. This last point is rather theoretical, as I am a civilian and a rather private one, but if I were a current or veteran serviceman, police officer, etc. I would definitely want to be buried with the full honors normally given by my service. Or if I were for example a statesman, logically, to be buried with full state honors. Or to generalize, if I belong or were to belong to any organization, private, public, civillian, military or otherwise, which offered any kind of funeral honors, that those honors be given to me in the fullest extent offered. Note that I didn't say "I want to have the biggest possible honors at my funeral", I.E. that it is of capital importance to me that I must have some kind of special honors at my funeral. I merely said that if the service/government/other organization offered full honors, I would want them given to me to their full extent and not abridged. Thus, if "full honors" meant only that one representative were present at my funeral and would not say anything, that's fine. If I die, as is quite likely as Ned the insignificnt civilian, no honors of any kind are either necessary or something I'm entitled to, and that's okay. If on the other hand, I were such a person that full honors meant that I was entitled to a parade down a big street, a flag over my casket, speeches, the playing of Taps, the firing of a gun salute, and a flight of fighter planes overhead, then I would wish that all they offered would be performed at my funeral, unless there was some really good reason not to (eg. it being feared that someone at the funeral would be traumatized by the gun salute). If I were just a longtime veteran of any service, and was entitled later to a funeral with that service's honor (for example, in the US Armed Forces, any veteran who has been discharged under conditions other than dishonorable is entitled by law, to a military funeral years later, if such is requested by the family), then the appropriate honors would be something I would like to have at my funeral, however not having them would perhaps not be tragic. If however, I were some famous, highly decorated veteran, or anyone killed in action, or a significant statesman, then I would absolutely say that I do not want a "private funeral" or any such thing, and that I would wish my family to let the full honors that a person of such a station is entitled to, out of respect for my memory and service, and also so as not to deny the public the possibility of parting with me in this way. Of course, I say, only if. Getting even minimal "honors" of any kind is not something I ever expect to get, and should I never be entitled to any, that's quite fine.

As I said, I have a pretty clear idea of what my funeral should be like, as you can see. What do you have in mind for when you leave this world?

Another question for anyone who feels like answering it: suppose that you were my next of kin. If I were to die tomorrow, and you had to plan my funeral, would there be anything in what I have listed above that you would have misgivings about being granted to me (I am just interested in observations, this question is completely neutral, no "different opinions" would be taken negatively by me).

mbmbos

RE: Your Funeral

Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:07 am

They can crack a bottle of champagne over my a** and drop my corpse in Boston Harbor for all I care.

Funerals are for the living. So whatever helps them get through it is fine with me - it's their choice.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

Superfly

Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:19 am

Quoting MBMBOS (Reply 1):
They can crack a bottle of champagne over my a** and drop my corpse in Boston Harbor for all I care.

Funerals are for the living. So whatever helps them get through it is fine with me - it's their choice.

checkmark 

I just hope there isn't a huge catfight when all my lady friends finally meet each other.  Wink
Bring back the Concorde

IAH777

Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:30 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 2):
I just hope there isn't a huge catfight when all my lady friends finally meet each other.

If there is, lets hope there's Jell-O involved.

JAGflyer

Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:36 am

1. I want to be buried in a Jewish cemetery with a graveside service (no chapel)
2. I MUST be buried in a kosher casket (no metal whatsoever used on the casket)
3. I want to be buried in a single plot
4. I must have a tombstone displaying my name in English and Hebrew as well as secular birth/death dates (in English) and Hebrew birth/death dates. A short "Beloved Son, Grandson and Friend" as well as a small epitaph.
5. If I am in any army/police/military I do not want ANY special service involving pipers, marching or formation.
6. I want an aircraft to make a low pass over the cemetery (this is optional)
7. My family and friends can attend.
8. I only want my family to order a few basic desserts/coffee for people who return to the house after the graveside service. I believe that people should come for the purpose of remembering me and consoling my family. Not to have a meal.

In all honesty, put me in the ground and remember me for what I was. I don't demand a funeral but if I had one that is how I would prefer it.

[Edited 2007-03-19 23:39:55]
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!

PlymSpotter

Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:40 am

I don't plan on dieing, so it doesn't really matter Wink silly 

As others have said, I'm going to be long gone, I don't care, it's just my body - the soul has departed, so they can do what they like with it. Wouldn't mind being buried overlooking a nice view though... just in case.

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

jamesbuk

Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:50 am

1. I dont care whatpeople wear
2. I dont really mind if its burial or cremation
3. No crying or you join me
4. I want to be definitely dead at my funeral
5. I dont really mind if its at a church or wereever,im not religious.

Rgds --James--
You cant have your cake and eat it... What the hells the point in having it then!!!

Confuscius

Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:51 am

Here's mine...just plain and simple.

Ain't I a stinker?

SmithAir747

Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:53 am

Even though I'm "only" 31, I am all too aware of my mortality. I have been at death's door too many times to count through my life from birth! As you may know, one of the serious complications of my Treacher Collins syndrome is difficulty breathing due to a constricted airway, so I choke on food easily and must sleep with a breathing machine. I always need to be prepared for the event that I may die prematurely, leaving my large family (mom and 9 siblings) behind suddenly.

I have already made plans for my funeral--before any thought of a wedding! Ironic, eh?

First of all, what if I died right here in London, England, where I am studying craniofacial medicine? I would want my friends here in London to have a chance to say goodbye to me before I'm shipped home to Fort Wayne, IN, USA. I belong to the American Church in London, so I would want my funeral there before my funeral in the USA. I have many friends at King's College London (my colleagues and professors in the Craniofacial Department), as well as in my church and out in the city of London itself. So a small funeral here in London would be a chance for them to say goodbye. If I died in London, I would want to be laid out in a traditional six-sided "toe-pincher" English style wooden coffin; those are the most dignified and simple coffins!

In the USA, whether I died there or was shipped home, I would like my funeral held at my Baptist church in the Fort Wayne, IN, area, with two of my pastors (one present, one past) officiating; they are my Christian mentors.

I want an utterly simple, dignified funeral service, as I have tried to model my life after my patron saint (and namesake), St. Francis of Assisi, who also lived an utterly simple life.

My service would be one where my family, friends, and many others would gather to celebrate my life as I lived it, and celebrate how my life inspired others as I faced and overcame adversity (craniofacial deformities, etc). My pastors would give the eulogies and share my faith with everyone, and anyone in the service who chose to speak up about what my life meant to them would be given ample opportunity to do so.

The music at my funeral would be played on the very same instruments I have played throughout my life--mainly piano and organ, as well as violin and guitar. My green violin itself would be offered to a musician to use during the service! My favourite old Christian hymns would be sung: It Is Well with My Soul, Be Thou My Vision, etc. My older sisters would sing (with guitars) The Lord's Prayer and On Eagle's Wings. A violin solo would be provided, using my green violin. At my funeral people would be free to contribute whatever tribute or song they wanted.

At my wake, I would want my body laid out in a traditional Irish/English wooden "toe-pincher" coffin (I am a proud Irishman by the way!  Wink), ideally, one that I built or finished myself in an Irish style. (More likely it will be a standard American casket). Also at my wake, I would want my musical instruments--my Epiphone Hummingbird guitar and my green violin--laid out on display, along with some of my artwork (my drawings, paintings, etc). My self-custom-painted 1:100-scale SMITH AIRWAYS 747 model would be displayed too, along with some other unique items from my lifetime archive. I would want my written works, including my autobiography The Pancake Kid, if finished by my death, displayed. All available photographs of me would of course be on display too.

Also at my wake and funeral there would be a book in which people could write down memories or thoughts on my life, to be presented as a keepsake to Mom and my family.

If anyone, after my funeral and all that is over, still wanted to do something to memorialize me, it is their option.

I would want memorial contributions to be made to the following entities:

1) St. Louis Children's Hospital (St. Louis, MO) and J. W. Riley Hospital for Children (Indianapolis, IN)--these were the two hospitals whose craniofacial clinics helped to rebuild my face from nothing since birth; I would want the money to go toward research and treatment of children's craniofacial deformities.

2) Guy's Hospital, London, UK, Dept. of Craniofacial Development--where I have studied and done research in craniofacial development as a student; to help further research in craniofacial development in the embryo.

3) Canterbury School, Fort Wayne, IN--the private high school where my life turned around (after a lifetime of rejection in my previous schools before high school) and I was finally able to blossom and thrive in an atmosphere of total acceptance. I would want other deserving special needs students to have a (financial) chance to go to such a great, academically rigorous school like I was given the chance. Thus I would want a scholarship endowment set up in my memory there (as well as funding for the arts and music there).

4) Lakewood Park Baptist Church, Auburn, IN--my spiritual home since childhood.

5) Children's Craniofacial Association, Dallas, TX--the large national support group for families of children with craniofacial anomalies. I belong to it, and have attended many of their Cher's Annual Family Retreats, where many people have gotten to know me. (I bet you didn't know that the singer, Cher, herself, is the honorary chairperson of that group, did you? I've met her many times personally!)

That's just a summary of my funeral desires. Hopefully I have a good long time left--but when God feels I'm ready to go home, I need to be ready for that too.

However long I live, I want to be remembered for making the lemons of my life (my craniofacial deformities) into lemonade, and living my life with gusto!

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

MDorBust

Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:58 am

Step 1: Scoop up, sponge up or shovel up whatever is left of me
Step 2: Throw it in the fire
Step 3: Party
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

EWRCabincrew

Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:59 am

Quoting SmithAir747 (Reply 8):
However long I live, I want to be remembered for making the lemons of my life (my craniofacial deformities) into lemonade, and living my life with gusto!

Most of us should be so lucky. Here, here.

I've met her many times personally!

Some people here will be very jealous.
You can't cure stupid

searpqx

Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:01 am

Pretty much the way I feel. If someone feels the need to make a gesture 'that Duane would've liked', then cremate me and throw my ashes off a cliff overlooking the Pacific, somewhere along the Oregon Coast.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

Bongodog1964

Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:03 am

At my wake, I would want my body laid out in a traditional Irish/English wooden "toe-pincher" coffin

Thats a new expression to me, and I thought | had heard every funeral joke and saying in existence

SmithAir747

Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:23 am

Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 12):
At my wake, I would want my body laid out in a traditional Irish/English wooden "toe-pincher" coffin

Thats a new expression to me, and I thought | had heard every funeral joke and saying in existence

Are you referring to "toe-pincher"?

"Toe-pincher", I have heard, is an old American expression referring to the shape of the old-style wooden coffins (still in use in Europe, by the way), which are an elongated hexagonal shape, widest at the shoulders and tapered at the head and foot. Hence, the feet ("toes") are "pinched" at the narrow foot end. Remember the pioneer coffins in the old Western movies?

Up to the 20th century, almost all American coffins were of the wooden, "toe-pincher" variety, and most were built by local craftsmen as were needed by local undertakers. There were no big conglomerates or corporations back then; no Batesvilles, etc. Some people even built their own (if they were farmers, etc)! Then the 20th century came--with the modern metal rectangular "casket"--a bit too gaudy now for such a solemn occasion, IMHO. Have you seen the prices for today's fancy boxes? For example, Elvis was buried in something quite similar to Batesville's gold-plated bronze "Promethean", which fetches up to $35,000! All for a box that will be buried in the ground shortly? Blimey!

Most European (especially the English and Irish) coffins today are still the dignified, simple wooden "toe-pincher" variety. I'd rather have one of those, ideally!

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

An-225

Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:35 am

Here are my requirements:

1. Cremation. I don't want to be eaten by worms after I die.
2. My family and/or my closest friends will get all my material possessions.
3. Absolutely NO religious service. I was born and raised a staunch atheist, no need to bring religion into it.
4. No crying and whining. Celebrate my life, bitches!
5. Good old Heavy Metal should be played at the ceremony. The ceremony should be fast and to the point.
6. After I am burned, my ashes should be buried or thrown into the wind.

That's about it.
Money does not bring you happiness. But it's better to cry in your own private limo than on a cold bus stop.

CF188A

Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:31 am

The song I want played and all that good stuff is in my Will, and at that , I do not care what is to become of my body , but I care about how I am remembered, what have i done in this world which will leave my name respected and dignified in years to come. I do not want to be forgotten
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow~ RIP ... LJFM

Queso

Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:57 am

I hate funerals and all of the grief that goes along with them. It is my hope that there will be no funeral for me, at the very most two guys with a backhoe will pause after the hole is filled in and leveled and have a sense of fulfillment that they earned their pay.

My soul will be gone and my mortal body will cease to function as it did for 40+ (at least) years and there will be nothing that any man can do to change that. Death is merely a transistion from homeostasis to decomposition and there is no need for people to be upset. It happens to us all at one time or another, there is nothing special about it, therefore no need for a ceremony for a normal guy with few friends and little family.

My grave will be out on the plains of West Texas not far from a beautiful spring-fed creek but the rocky earth has little vegetation on it. It doesn't necessarily need to be marked because after my daughter passes on no one will remember me anyway.

"Queso" will be no more.

BigOrange

Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:14 am

My wife and I have already decided no funeral. Too extravagant and too much of a rip-off.

Take our bodies to be cremated, then throw our ashes into the waters of Jamaica Bay, NY.

We met face to face for the first time at JFK so it is only fitting we say goodbye to each other in the same area, I'm sure the PANYNJ won't appreciate our ashes being scattered outside customs in the AA terminal!

NeilYYZ

Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:51 am

If I am to die I hope that my family and friends hold a celebration of my life. I'll make sure that there is some money around for them to throw a good party, some beers, some laughs, maybe some crying, although hopefully not too much crying. If I'm gone, I'd like those that I loved to live their life to the fullest, and not get dragged down about my death.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

KPDX

Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:53 am

Quoting Queso (Reply 16):
"Queso" will be no more.

Phew....Thank God!!  duck 

Wink

KPDX  Smile

TACAA320

Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:57 am

Quoting An-225 (Reply 14):
1. Cremation.

Don't apply to me. It must hurt a lot...
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

Kay

Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:16 pm

A morbid topic

Anyway, after seeing the series "6 feet under", i saw how disgusting it could be to make a body look good for the funeral after death: for example, gluing the mouth together, removing the organs and replacing them with all kinds of products, glue, chemicals, sometimes objects to keep the body shape, etc. sickening..

Kay

1stfl94

Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:39 pm

Not really thought about mine yet, though if Robbie William's 'Angels' is played at my funeral, I will rise from the dead and throttle the person who chose the song!

Bongodog1964

Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:59 pm

Quoting 1stfl94 (Reply 22):
Not really thought about mine yet, though if Robbie William's 'Angels' is played at my funeral, I will rise from the dead and throttle the person who chose the song!

What about if it was teamed up with Elton John's candle in the wind ?

kiwiandrew

Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:57 am

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 9):
Step 1: Scoop up, sponge up or shovel up whatever is left of me
Step 2: Throw it in the fire
Step 3: Party

I have never before heard anyone some up my ideal funeral so succinctly - if you outlive me you can be in charge of the arrangements for my party
 bigthumbsup 

1stfl94

Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:17 am

Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 23):
Quoting 1stfl94 (Reply 22):

What about if it was teamed up with Elton John's candle in the wind ?

Almost as bad!!!

lnglive1011yyz

Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:03 am

I want my funeral to be one massive party.

I want everyone to be dancing, having a great time, and I want them to put my box (I'm to be cremated) on a 'head-table', just like at a wedding.

I'd prefer it to be on the beach somewhere (say, mexico), and the ONLY request I want, is at the end, the song "In my Life" by the Beatles to be played.

Simple.

LOL

1011yyz
Pack your bags, we're going on a sympathy trip!

AA777

Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:15 am

lol...... I'm sorry, but this thread creeps me out! So many of you have the details of your funerals, practically down to what kind of flowers you want. Kinda strange/scary, if you ask me. But in some cases I can see why....

All I ask is that when I croak, I be put in a CLOSED casket (no viewings).... other than that..... why should I care? I'll be dead. And if there's an afterlife, I'll be there chillin'.... and if not, then how I get buried wont make any difference.....

-AA777

AeroWesty

Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:41 am

The nicest funeral I ever attended was held on a promontory overlooking the Golden Gate one foggy afternoon. My friend's ashes had been put in a classy bowl with a large silver serving spoon, then the attendees were invited to come forward, say what they wanted to say in remembrance, then take a spoonful of ashes and toss them into the wind over the ocean below. We were then invited back to the house for food and drink, where reprints of his favorite photos of himself were available to take in a keepsake folder. It gave new meaning to "what a way to go".

I doubt I could top that, so I've never given much thought to what I would want for myself.
International Homo of Mystery

IAH777

Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:48 am

I want to be cremated, my ashes pressed into a sheet of glass, then installed as an AVOD screen on a DL 767-400.

Signed,
1337Delta764

---------------------------------------

I hope Bush chokes on my spleen.

Signed,
Cedars747

57AZ

Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:52 am

My desires have all been laid out in my will. Cremate my remains and place them at the place specified. The memorial service will be a brief one held at the specified site. The only part of the memorial service out of the ordinary will be that a special train shall be run by the Tennessee Valley Railroad to convey the party to the location. If possible, only close friends will crew the train. No music, just a brief service with the noise of the steam locomotive in the background.

As for death, Americans do have a bit of a hangup with it. It is a part of life that we are not as equipped to handle as our ancestors were. Childhood death was nothing uncommon even 100 years ago. It (death) has been so stigmatized as to remove the mourning process from the home to the funeral chapel. A century ago, most funerals were conducted in the home of the deceased and the mortician went to the body, not the other way around. Embalming was performed using only what the mortician carried in his carriage and performed at the deceased's home. Usually the viewing and service was performed in the parlour as it was typically the largest room in the 19th century home. With the stigmatization of death and the removal of funeral services from the home, this room became known as the living room.

Personally, if a hearse is involved in any part of the transportation of my remains, my preference is for a horse drawn hearse. There are a few companies that provide livery services for funerals. If I own a hearse at the time of my death, my preference would be for my last ride to be in it. My preference would be for a black or dark colored hearse. Funerary tradition reserves white or light colored hearses for children or young, unmarried women. I would also prefer the limousine style hearse over a landau hearse as the landau hearse obscures the casket from view. Personally I love some of the European style Mercedes and other hearses.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

zippyjet

Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:46 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 2):

I just hope there isn't a huge catfight when all my lady friends finally meet each other.

rotfl  bigthumbsup 

Being Jewish, there are certain death rituals I feel are practical:
1. Quick burial
2. No embalming

But, on the other hand, our funerals are depressing, serious and droll. A lot of my people supress emotion and intellectualize their feelings which can be toxic in the long run. And, having no music is also a downer.

I'd want my friends and loved ones to get sauced if they so desire and if they feel it get emotional. There's nothing wrong with emotional outbursts at these sad happenings. I belive way back, Jewish funerals were a lot like Italian and Black funerals where some loved ones literally fell out and wanted to jump in the ground with the deceases. And there was plenty of fabric tearing. The New Orleans style of sending one off is actually cool. Just my 2 cents. I'd hope at my
"Shiva" Jewish more somber form of wake, that at least in one room they have an endless stream of good oldies from the 50's and 60's playing at full speed; especially R & B.

I don't have kids but, if I did and God forbid one of them died, I'd be literally jumping in the casket and you'd have to committ me.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

ShyFlyer

Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:24 pm

I would like to give the eulogy at my funeral.
I lift things up and put them down.

TSS

Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:51 pm

Most of my (and all my cousin's) funeral arrangements were paid for by my grandmother before she died, so much of it I have no control over.
My body will be prepared and set up for viewing at Lemley's Funeral Home in Oneonta, Alabama.
I will be buried in the family plot in the graveyard adjoining the church my family has attended for at least four generations.

On Memorial Day weekend every year, the local people will have "Decoration" when gravesites are neatened up, fresh flowers are put out, and (weather permitting) they will picnic on the grounds. This is an old Southern tradition and is not considered morbid in the least; it's just what we do on Memorial Day.

All in all, not a bad way for my remains to spend eternity.

[Edited 2007-03-21 07:05:41]
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

57AZ

Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:15 pm

Quoting TSS (Reply 33):
On Memorial Day weekend every year, the local people will have "Decoration" when gravesites are neatened up, fresh flowers are put out, and (weather permitting) they will picnic on the grounds. This is an old Southern tradition and is not considered morbid in the least; it's just what we do on Memorial Day.

Good old Decoration Day. You don't hear much about it nowadays. Most folks don't realize that Decoration Day was the forerunner of the modern Memorial Day-a day to remember the Civil War dead and, later on, family members.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

aerorobnz

Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:09 pm

I have several thoughts on the matter depending on whether my body is recoverable.

1) Drop me in a hole in the ground somewhere away from other dead people, and cover it up WITHOUT a grave stone.

2) Mummified in the traditional Inca way

If no body, I just want a celebratory viewing of the "Life of Brian" by all my family.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.